(Close Window)
Topic: Hope it's not a stupid question
I have only ever worked with a rabbit in the hat puppet. So my routines and my experience is based on having a puppet with two workable arms/hands to grab things. I am about to venture into a puppet with a talking mouth and hands that don't work. Maybe one could have an elbow rod but it won't be like two hands to grab things like my rabbit in the hat. It's not going to be a bird puppet, which would motivate him only having his beak to grab things. I am probably going to be using one of Axtel's great apes. So my question is, how does a routine play where the puppet can't actively grab things wiht his hands? I'm trying to imagine how it could work. Thanks.

Jim
Get Steve Axtell to install elbow rods into the elbows of the ape. I've got an Ax Chimp and he hold on to a magic wand. Just by manipulating the wand, it looks like the ape is waving it around. This was used in my kids shows last time.

For a better idea, watch Jeff Dunham and Peanut. Peanut has elbow rods and still is VERY animated! Good luck!
I don't think an elbow rod can make a puppet's hand grab things :)
If you can ask Ax to make a special version for you with your hand acting as the hand of the puppet, that might work...your right hand manipulates the mouth, while your left hand serves as the left hand of the puppet.

http://www.axtell.com/halfbody.jpg

If this is the case however, you will need both hands of the ape wear matching gloves.

This version is usually used for stage puppets...but I don't see why anyone can't use it in a vent act :)JUst make it full body :)
Here is a page showing the different arm options... it should help. http://www.axtell.com/rod.html

Ax
Thanks, guys. Does anyone use the "glove hand" for a puppet if it's a full body puppet and not behind a stage, but just sitting in the open with you? I am trying to think how this would work for me with the educational purpose of the routine but still have comedy. Maybe the arms are just posed and the comedy is mostly verbal? Is that how most people do it? Or are there visual gags that can be done with a puppet that doesn't have arms that can move and/or grab? Thanks.

Jim
Told you Steve has the answers :) Thanks Steve :)

Wanlu
Hello puppeteers:
I am considering building the profesional sized Punch and Judy puppets with wooden heads and hands. I am also planning on building a vintage style stage for them. My question is..Is Punch and Judy being performed for Children anymore? I know it is quite popular overseas, and I remember seeing the show in the circus sideshows when I was a kid, but I really haven't seen or heard od Punch and Judy for a long time. I was thinking of framing this show over winter to take on the road next spring. Am I wasting my time? or should I consider a more modern theme for the show? Any thoughts out there on this?

Thanks

ROD
When you're doing what you love to do, you're never wasting time.

You can't tell whether it'll be a hit or not until you do it.

Go for it, Rod!
Hello Ony:

Thanks >>>>>thats what I needed to hear! I was thinking of the non violent Punch and Judy Show , a show with lots of color and music. Thanks Ony Best wishes in all you do!
ROD
Rod,
Check out Mark Walker in Baltimore - he still does Punch and Judy - and is very successful!
Hello TOM:

Thanks very much, I appreaciate this info! Have a great day!
ROD
Hello Tom:

I just checked out Dr.Horns Punch & Judy Show FANTASTIC This is a beautiful show, the puppets and stage are tremendous. I would love to see it live one day!

Thanks ROD
Glad you found it. Mark is a great guy - definitely catch him if you get the chance.
Hey,
Magicman,
get your own topic please. Jeez.

Jim
Hello James. Ok The TOPIC was Punch and Judy

Magicman
Hello James.:

Don't worry I won't enroach on your topic. I am still getting use to posting on the Café' and it was a mistake on my part. I won't be back on the Café" with the puppeteers, its too bad that someone has to walk all over you for an honest mistake. My topic was Punch & Judy, it just didn't get on the thread.

You won't see me around here again.

Magicman97