(Close Window)
Topic: Anybody have any cool palming coins they want to brag about?
I have a 1904 T. Nelson Downs palming coin:) It is in my wallet at all times.
I am not superstitious, but it is as close as I come to carrying something for 'luck.'
I hate you..I mean I'm very happy for you! LOL
That's very cool! Being a coin guy I'm envious my friend.
I would love to have anything connected to the King Of Koins.

How did you acquire such a lovely item??
EBay, before the new boss started to kill it:)
On very few occasions I take it out and run through my sleights with it.
It really has an amazing feel. Sticks to the hand almost. I don't do it much because I don't want to wear it out.
I almost got another one but lost it at the last minute, don't suppose that was you? :P
I have a stack of Tarbell palming coins, a dozen or so Magic Immortal Coins (Houdini, Keller & Thurston), Jay Marshall coins, and a few Green River Palming Coins. I do not collect coins, but somehow acquired these. I was going to use them for the miser's dream, but I've swayed not to and use half dollars instead.
I have few Bartl palming coins.

I use one as a climax of a coin routine.
A couple of days ago I bought at auction a set of "ten" T. Nelson downs 1904 palming coins. are these actually over a hundred years old? and if so are they valuable?
I would like to know too. What collectible value does it carry?
There are 3 different types of these Downs tokens, they are stamped "DEMON" the original and most valuable one ($20/35), FOREIGN ($2/3) and JAPAN ($5 to 10) That is it.

The Downs tokens were produced in substantial amonts for many yeas by Davenport in the UK.

Hope it helps
Message: Posted by: freefallillusion1 (Dec 30, 2008 11:26PM)
Well, you said to brag so here goes-

I live in Cincinnati and so does Ken Klosterman. So, not only have I touched T. Nelson Downs' personal coins, but I've touched his VERY OWN COIN LADDER as well! I've also picked up Robert Houdin's actual light and heavy chest. Remember, you said to brag...

Phil
Well I bought 15 1904 T Nelson Downs from a dealer in Texas. Was well worth it. Especially as I am going to the trouble of framing them in pairs along with a brass name plate and copy of poster. Looks very good and made two magician friends very happy.. I urge everybody to do the same. They look so much better. I also have an original Tarbell System token which I picked up on Ebay for next to nothing. Does have a small hole in the top where some idiot drilled through it but I love it all the same. Got up at three in the morning to bid for it. Was the only bidder due a mispelling of Tarbell!
Big white; the "idiot" was Harlan Tarbell himself. This is a "vanishing coin" amp;ly described in Tarbell's lessons
Was browsing Ebay today and saw Nelson Downs Palming coins for sale and other coins too. Might be worth a look if still there
I just ran across one here. It's a Prof. King. I think it's from the 1850's.
I have a few from 1795. Anybody interested in buying some tokens. PM me.
There are 3 versions of the Downs coin which can be discerned from the hand on the reverse side of the coin. One is blank at the wrist, one has the word Foreign, one has the word Demon. I have several examples of each. I have several of the August Roterberg Maja coins which were the type used by Tommy Downs and are my favorites. I have a lot of examples of these including two shells to match. I have Martinka's as well in brass, copper, aluminum, miniature, hooked, bronze. Janos Bartl and SS Adams had many varieties as well and I have examples of these. These older coins have fascinated me for some time now and if anyone is interested in more information I will be happy to post more. I have, and have had, many more than those noted above. By the way, all noted above are early 1900s
Tstark, and one more made in japan
[quote]
On 2009-03-08 21:16, magiquarian wrote:
Tstark, and one more made in japan
[/quote]Which was made in Japan. I am aware that the Bartl had a coin made in Japan. Is that the one you are referring to?
[quote]
On 2009-01-16 19:36, magiquarian wrote:
Big white; the "idiot" was Harlan Tarbell himself. This is a "vanishing coin" amp;ly described in Tarbell's lessons
[/quote]

I stand corrected! Thanks for pointing this out. Makes me feel so much better knowing it is supposed to be there.
Tstark, no DOWNS coin was actually minted and marked I the obverse "JAPAN"
I like my Harry Anderson palming coins.
By sheer chance, I found seven 1904 'Demon' T Nelson Downs palming coins in the very bottom of a cloth bag on a stall in a London 'flea market'. They're in good condition rather than mint; nevertheless a stroke of luck!
I have about 100 Abbott's Palming Coins. These are now collector's items, as Greg Bordner told me that the people who made these for them lost the die, and no more can be made.

Take a look at what they are selling for....(IF you can find them) here:

http://www.dennymagic.com/cgi-bin/hazel.cgi?client=94521205&action=detail&item=003639
I have the actual coins that were used for many years from:

Edwin Brush
Neil Foster
Aurthur Buckly
Richard Ross

Misc. coins (not show used by performer

Bertrum
Nielson
Downs
Hello folks,
new here. I've got a few of the T Nelson Downs coins. I collect items made by Davenports, but these are the coins with no makers mark at the base of the wrist. Are they also Davenports or were they made elsewhere.
On the topic of tokens, the Robert-Houdin museum in Blois sells beautiful, and practical coins with Houdin and the museum on them for very little cost. They're Half Crown sized and gold coloured, well worth fishing out if tokens are your thing.
Cheers,
Phil