(Close Window)
Topic: Magellan Levitation
At TAOM this past weekend I was privileged to see Jimmy Fingers perform the Magellan Levitation before a handful of magicians, including former IBM president Roger Miller. Everyone in this room was far from a beginner; most had been in magic at least 3 or more decades. The reaction to this levitation was one of pure astonishment.

Compared to previous videos I had seen that Jimmy had posted of the levitation, I felt I was watching a whole new illusion. The lift was a good 14 inches from the floor, both feet fully visible and no visible means of support.

His set up time was seconds, and he finished “CLEAN”!

This can be done at very close quarters; the closest one in the room was no more than 5 ft away and the farthest was probably 10ft. All you need is a corner or a bit of wall behind you. (The wall or corner has nothing to do with the levitation, just the angle).

I was amazed at how wide the angle for this levitation was.

I was more than fortunate enough to be one of two people, who had been present at that demonstration, that Jimmy revealed the secret of the illusion to.

Let me say this is genius if I ever saw it. Incredibly well constructed, would support at least 230lbs if not more. Every detail thought out to the ninth degree, and no moving parts!

Whole thing is very light weight about 12 lbs. This illusion is a breath taker, and believe me it fools very experienced magicians and will wow any audience, can be done parlor or stage, and a living room is more than large enough to do perform this in.

Right now they are basically being built one at a time, so contact Jimmy to acquire one. You won’t be unhappy that you did.
Forgive me Father, for I have...

Oh, wait, wrong place.

I must confess, I actually have several of these ready to ship at this time.

I don't know if the Padre saw it, but I performed this at the TAOM midnight magic show, as well.

In terms of angles, the room was three rooms wide, and I was against the center of the side wall of the middle of the three rooms. Just about the most impossible angles ever! You would not be able to perform a Harbin/Gwynn/3001/Klamm suspension within those confines. But, the Magellan was workable.

Even a strong parlor act without illusions has a hard time connecting with this type of room layout! Most simple suspensions aren't workable, let alone a levitation.

I hope that this answers the concerns of those who assume that the youtube presentations are necessarily 'flat' or manipulated situations.

Everyone who has seen the online videos and the live performance have been shocked at how little justice video does to this piece.

Cherie Kay crashed my cleanup outside the room, and saw the gimmick. She denied that there was any way that it could have been the method of accomplishing the effect that she had just witnessed. She kept badgering me for more, but there was nothing else to show her. Ron Wilson saved me, by assuring her that he had seen me rehearsing it earlier, and that the piece that she was seeing was what enabled me to accomplish the feat. Even upon explaining it to her, she seemed more and more perplexed by the workings. I think that she still had her suspicions about altered clothing, worn braces, or gaffed shoes, but I assured her that what she saw was it.

I know that many of you consider this to be vaporware, like most of the levitations proposed on these forums. But, there is a large group of magicians that attended the TAOM midnight show that can testify otherwise.

Would a priest lie?

Thanks for your interest!

Jimmy Fingers
http://www.jimmyfingers.com
I got to see Jimmy do this one from the front and from the back. I know exactly what the gimmick is. After I saw him do this, I went up to him, congratulated him on the BEST self-levitation there is. PERIOD. I even gave him a hug. I'm not a hugger, most of the time. But Jimmy's self-levitation is worth five hugs!

From the front, this is what you see. The magician walks over to a spot on a floor, a riser or any other solid, flat walking surface. He is carrying a large, opaque piece of cloth, about 2 yards wide and two yards high. The cloth is basically bunched up, without any apparent rhyme or reason to it. He faces the audience, lowers the cloth to a bit above ground level, takes it by the upper corners, and raises it to a point just above his waist.

He takes a deep breath, and slowly begins to rise, bringing the cloth upwards with him. The bottom of the cloth remains on the floor. He rises a little over a foot, then he drops the corner of the cloth he is holding in his right hand.

The audience can see clear through the area under his feet. He holds that position for a good length of time, then he takes the corner he dropped back into his right hand, holds the cloth in front of himself, and slowly sinks back to the starting position.

He then drops the cloth and it lies crumpled on the floor, in a very low pile -- a pile that is only a couple of inches thick. After he takes his bow, he can either repeat the illusion or he can pick up the cloth and walk away.

Things to consider:
1) The illusion is silent. There is no noise, no snapping, cracking or any other kind of tell-tale mechanical sound.
2) Jimmy could do this wearing a pair of off-the-shelf sneakers, a pair of shorts and a T-shirt without modifying the works in any way.

Jimmy's research has paid off. It's not vapor ware. This is the real deal.
What is the wieght limit?
Hello Big Jeff,

Jimmy can answer this question.......but I believe it is around

260 lbs.

Is that correct Jimmy?

Thanks
Hi,

Yes, that's what I've seen so far, but I can probably make it up to over 320, if necessary. It would weigh a bit more, and it would have to be custom made. At that point, there are other considerations, mostly physical.

Thanks everyone!

Jimmy
I took the plunge and purchased Jimmy's levitation. I own and have used the Icarus, Fearson's box, Elevator #1 and #2, and my own vesion which for now I'm keeping to myself (it's nothing revolutionary, just a modification/improvement of an existing self-lev). Jimmy Fingers' levitation is hands down the best I've ever used. I mean, you levitate over a foot into the air and the audience can see under your feet! The angles are superb and the thing will last a lifetime. I've got a Halloween show I'm doing where I'll perform this as a closer. I'm just working out the bugs on a routine...

This might be considered expensive, but all the better to keep it out of the hands of posers and exposers. You can make back your money in a few shows, and I'm sure this thing will win you more gigs. I can't wait to do this in front of an audience. This is one of the top 3 high-end purchases I've ever made, right up there with my Higley Zibits and Losanders table. Once I've road tested this a few times, it may turn out to be the best thing I've purchased period. Thanks, Jimmy. You've given the magic world a wonderful gift.
Fellow magi,

I also purchased this today, and prior to purchasing I called Jimmy.
He answered all my questions, doubts, and concerns, and so I bought this immediately.
I do not have the levitation yet for its on its way, but let me say that this is by far the BEST self levitation out there. Some might say its expensive, but its perfectly fine to keep it out of the hands of the curious.
I also owned most self levitations including, Balducci, ICarus, Skywalker, Criss Angel one as well, and this tops all of them barnone.
I will also use it for shows near Halloween and beyond.
I also cannot wait to get started with this device.
Thank you Jimmy for your support, and for giving the magic community something spectacular.
FAther Photius, Bill Palmer, Scott Emo were absolutely correct in all their statements regarding this beauty.
Thanks again.
And if someone isn't sure whether they want to take the plunge, contact Jimmy, he is a really nice guy and is willing to help you out in all your needs.
Thanks again

ALEX
It costs less than a set of sterling silver Sherwood cups. ;)

You are getting a good value for your money with this.

If I were going to do a self-levitation, this is the one I would buy.

And Jimmy -- you can quote ANYTHING I have put in this review thread into your advertising material!
I am considering this illusion...it looks great...does it pack small...I would assume it does...?
Hi,

It's weighs 12 lbs. and fits in a carry-on sized piece of baggage.

Please see http://www.jimmyfingers.com/magsolo.htm for more information and videos.

Thanks,

Jimmy
Thanks Jimmy, I will contact you if I decide to go with it.
Also, does it require any protective case or anything like that??
This piece is literally bulletproof. The only thing that might be required for protection would be a case to protect other things from it. It isn't going to break anytime soon.

I use my clothing in my suitcase to pack around it so that I get optimal space and some padding so that it doesn't get slung around during shipment or travel.
I wouldn't call this illusion expensive in light of what other levitation suspensions cost, especially those that allow you to do what this one does. It is one of the best thought out and best tested pieces of magic I've ever seen. Pure Genius.
Can this levi be performed at any house gig I perform at?

Does it need "Set-Up"?

How clean at the end? Am I gonna have to pick something up under the curtain after dropping it at the end?

It's says :"The most Practical Levi Ever"! Is it?

How practical is this for your average walk-around performer (I usually have an assistant with me).

I do a-lot of backyard walk-around and house parties, we end up in the guest house most of the time. Is this levi sporadic enough to just snatch and perform?

How clean is this? That's my question?

I seen someone compare this to Icarus Effect and Elevator Levi. I used Icarus at many of my gigs already to great reactions. Just wondering how good this levi will be for the average performer, as far as practical is concerned?

Thanks Much!! :)
Hi,

I perform this at EVERY house party that I do. And I do quite a few. Usually in the foyer, or out of a corner.

I know, it sounds too good to be true, right?

Please see the reviews by the owners and the experts.

Do you know how hard it is to impress Bill Palmer? Do you know how many levitations Bill and Father Photius have seen in their lifetimes? Walt Anthony has seen the previous version, the Magellan Witch, but he hasn't seen the newest Magellan Master. It's completely different, and much more practical and workable.

This is not a street performing piece, it's actually a parlor illusion that would be perfectly fit for stage, as witnessed by attendees at the TAOM in Fort Worth.

The setup is exactly as shown in the video. But, you will never be able to imagine the reaction to this until you've seen it in front of a live audience.

Even an audience of magicians.

It's nothing like any other self levitation. There is no comparison between this and the effects mentioned. No comparison. Listen to the experts and owners.

It seems too good to be true, but it's true. It's that real. It's the real deal, according to Bill.

I love doing this effect! I'm actually bummed if I don't get to do it, that's how great the reaction is.

Jimmy Fingers
(832)755-6781 if you have any concerns or questions
I had talked online with Jimmy before TAOM, and I have performed with him at our local variety show.
I have seen the levitation online and he did it at our variety show.
To be honest, I wasn't that impressed at that time.

But then!! I saw him do it at TAOM.
And I agree with Father Photius, it was like watching something new that I haven't seen before.
When he did it, knowing what the gimmick was, I said to myself, "wow, that looks really good."
Then the people around me were freaking out and had no idea how it was done.

So... online video... no good...
At our variety show, I didn't have the best viewing position and not the best stage area...
But when done in the proper area... It looks really good!

Randi
Hi,

Yeah, Slice of Variety is a very long, narrow pizza place in a nightclub area of Dallas, performed at the end of this room. About ten acts, no dressing room. Randi was literally standing directly to my right within 4 feet, waiting to perform. I could have reached out and high fived her!

Since she's a magician, I wasn't playing to her. I wasn't considering addressing that angle, and I'm not the type to hoarde a secret from other performers if their visual awareness of the method allows me to do the effect better for the audience. She was staring directly down from one of the few difficult angles and I'm sure that it was much less than deceptive.

But, it's just not what the rest of the audience was seeing.

I'm just glad that I got to redeem myself at the midnight show at TAOM.

JF
I contacted Jimmy on Friday last week (He was in Houston, me Chicago), I had the pleasure of talking with him for a good 30min. We talked about the Levitation and many other aspects of what was behind his creation.

While on the phone with Jimmy, I had no choice but to order!! Believe it or not, He was in the middle of Hurricane IKE! He literally packaged up my product I just ordered from him, and drove to his local post-office in the middle of 40-50 mile an hour winds and got my package out ON-TIME!!!! I was shocked while on the phone with him, as I heard the wind constantly beating him and his phones azz! He was actually packing to leave Houston at the time I called him, getting ready to run from the Hurricane.

Jimmy is AMAZING!! This man risked his life for a customer!

Jimmy got ahold of me Saturday morning, texting me from someone else's Cell Phone! How cool is that?! Answering a question I asked him the night before on the Café! This showed me; While protecting him and his family, he took the time out to send a message to a customer while in a dire situation!

How much more stand-up can you get then Jimmy? You can't!!

Paul
We stayed in town, and weathered the storm. We are without electricity and fuel. Trying to ride it out. Our infrastructure is shot, but what can you do, right? Huge tree fell on the house.

Thanks for you order and your patience with the communication.

Jimmy, typing on an erratic net connection on iPhone
Wow Jimmy, I am sorry for what you and your fam (house) had to go through. I really don't know what to say right now... I will be praying for you and your family.

Take care Jimmy

Paul
Best wishes, Jimmy. I hope you and your family are well, and I hope your home gets repaired speedily.

--Steve Bosque
Good luck, Jimmy. We will pray for you for report.
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the nice thoughts. We are surviving, doing all business on an iPhone. Scavenging ice here and there, but having fun cleaning up and playing tennis. Cold front is making it bearable, if not, in many ways, preferable.

Reading Tolle, "A New Earth," perfect timing!

Thanks for the thoughts, once again, but there are so many so worse off. Thankfully, I'm in the Magellan levitation business now!

Jimmy
http://www.jimmyfingers.com/magsolo.htm
Good to hear your doing OK Jimmy, I was worried about ya until I heard you where playing tennis in the Hurrican (Mr. Elitist!) lol!! ..JK

I hope your house didn't suffer much damage, as your money situation as-well.

I should be reporting on Magellan Master within the next day or 2. The Hurrican must have slowed-up the shipping, as I ordered a week ago today. I am dependant on my USPS man today, hoefully my Magellan will be here within the hours. :)
Hi Piz,

You're right, it looks like they're backed up a bit, it should have already been there. I will keep my eyes open on this end for any information. I shipped it out on the 12th, USPS Parcel Post.

Thanks for your patience!

JF
http://www.magellanlevitation.com
I was sitting next to Bill Palmer(front row) at the TAOM midnight show.
When Jimmy was floating about 18 inches off of the ground, some lady in the back gasped and shouted, "No Way."
Now, I may not be the best critic. After all, I was blown away the first time I saw a Balducci levitation. But, I grinned big time when I saw this.
Jimmy was kind enough to let me use the levitation. I personally feel that one of the best things about this particular levitation is that it FEELS like you are really floating.
This is a well built apparatus. It is well designed and well thought out
I have discussed with Jimmy the possibility of having one custom made for me.
Father Photius is a magic historian and one of the best magicians that I have ever known. He and I were both very, very impressed.
If you work parlor or stage, this may just be the most bang for the buck that you will ever buy.
The working of this is 100% totally silent.
Jimmy, I think you have a winner on your hands.
Peace,
Parson
Now there is a new website

Thanks,

Jimmy
Is not my favourite...

Paulo
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Sep 29, 2008 04:24PM)
It isn't my favorite either but it is GOOD for platform work. I can leave my BIG heavy levitation at home and still do a levitation at smaller gigs. That reason alone makes it a good prop.

It would be cool to have this in a cape.

best
ray
Well, I guess that I can say that it IS my favorite.
1. It is a chore to carry around big levitations. This can be carried in a small duffle bag or case.
2. It is a levitation and not a suspension.
3. It is a silent operation. No music needed.
4. It is not vaporware or hype.
5. It REALLY looks magical when properly performed.
6.I have seen the looks on people's faces. Most levitations/suspensions that I have seen seem to most people like puzzles. This looks MAGICAL.
7.It is affordable.

Just my humble 2 cents.
Peace,
Parson
I'm glad Jimmy weathered the storm. It was a real booger!

One of my friends said, "Ike was a really bad hurricane, wasn't it?"

I told him, "I went through Carla, Alicia and Ike. I never heard anyone say 'WOW! That was a GREAT Hurricane, wasn't it?'"

Sitting through a hurricane is like riding a roller coaster for 12 hours. Without the fun part, of course!
Hi all,

I don't think that we're through with the storm, by any means. The after effects of this are huge, especially when the bailout has taken away the focus from our situation, and has almost sent people into a spending freeze, due to the fear of scarcity, due to the economy AND the hurricane recovery. Demand for performers is not great at this time, from what I'm hearing. And, yet, I still picked up a couple of big gigs in the last couple of days. It's weird. I'm feeling vulnerable, even though I picked up two of the biggest bookings that I've had all year! Part of the securing of these bookings has to do with the fact that the agencies promoting these have now both seen the Magellan live, and they're actually selling the act with an emotion that they may not have seen before.

I was scheduled to do 7 shows at the main Houston comedy club, but that was all canceled, due to the hurricane causing a lack of power. I was set to do two-camera shoots during every show to get legitimate video of the harsh angles of the comedy club and the audience response that this receives.

I am up against a lot of unseen forces with this effect, but I'm sure that time and history will vindicate the value of this piece, and the ideas behind it.

Thanks,

Jimmy
Very good to small places.

John Star
Hey Jimmy,
Comedy Club?
I thought you had to be funny to perform at one of those places.
Peace?
Parson
I must be a master of comedy, 'cause so few people take this illusion seriouslyl!!!!
"so few people take this illusion seriously"

It is the way that your eyes cross when people see you rising about a foot and a half off the ground.
I promise you, I will never forget the way that lady cried out,"NO WAY!"
Oh yea, I don't know if you were aware, but the projection screen was on behind you at Midnight Madness.
The light was shining through the cloth. It looked GREAT.
Peace,
Parson
On Jimmy's latest (I think) video, he is doing this really close up in a living room without the cloth.
Sorry for the confusion, that video is of me doing a souped up version of Skywalker. I call it Magellan Warlock for promotional purposes only.

JF
Hi everyone. I just wanted to report that I performed the Magellan Levitation as a closer for a Halloween show last night for about 50 people in a school Caféteria.
It produced gasps, laughter and lots of applause. Once again, I have to say thanks to Jimmy for releasing this. For me, this is fantastic.
--Steve Bosque
Steve,
This is similiar to the reactions that I have been getting as well with the Magellan. And I have one of the early models. This piece has been significantly enhanced since my early model.

I get PM questions about the angles of this. Angles are great from my perspective. Can you explain the angles that you performed in the school Caféteria? It might give a clear idea of the angles. Also, did you have a curtain or did you setup/cleanup in front of the crowd as designed?
Hi Scott-
Glad to hear you're getting good reactions (I've seen your video clip at the Magic Garage and thought it looked great...it helped sell me on the idea of purchasing the Magellan). The angles were fairly good except to my right side which had audience members a little too close for comfort. Nonetheless, I was able to cover the angles by holding the cloth a little tighter to my body on the right. One thing I need to watch out for is lifting the cloth too high and exposing the base. I know I just need to keep in practice which is no problem since this is so much fun to do! I did not have a curtain and chose simply to have the cloth piled up on the ground throughout the set, and then go straight into the levitation. Doing it this way does not allow you to lift the cloth high and show your feet before the levitation, but I noticed on some of Jimmy's video clips that he doesn't do this everytime anyway, and the effect is still looks good. By placing a folded towel in the spot where you lay the g*****k down after the descent, I was able to eliminate the noise. I'm looking forward to using this awsome tool again soon. All the best.
---Steve Bosque
Have performed this a a few gigs now, and it always draws gasps from the audience. With regard to Jimmy, he's really a great guy and is genuinely concerned about ensuring you're getting the most out of the Magellan. He's shared many tips with me over email and the bouncing of ideas back and forth have really helped in getting the illusion to work just fine.

Thanks Jimmy. Really appreciate all your time.
Hello everyone,

Please note that the increase in the price of the current Magellan model reflects an improvement in the current units, any built since the beginning of this month, June 2009.

The current model includes a self contained transport system, as opposed to the previous sheet connected system. Much more convenient, clean, and easier to wash the satin cloth than the older version with the cloth and attachments.

These units are all hand-made, and variations within the previous production models are possible. All what I would consider evolutionary upgrades.

I only offer online video instructions, due to the low price and the difficulty in putting the performance finesses in writing. The effect is highly dependent on rehearsed nuances in performance that would be better described as a mime or movement presentation than a magic act.

I should not be surprised with pre-owned used Magellans being offered for sale. I would cite a difficult economy and a performer's inability to discern between the audience response to this being presented properly and the reaction to the usual suspension.

This is not a push-button, "wheel it out, pull a lever, wheel it off of the stage" effect. The best comparison that I could make would be with Karson's Zombie. If someone puts the work into the presentation, they will have a jaw-dropping miracle. If you buy it, and don't try it or follow the instructions closely, and if you try to get too fancy with the presentation without thought about the changes, you'll end up with a 'ball on a st**k.'

As a performer, are you losing the credit for creating the miracles in your act? Losing out to the perception that the boxes, bases and boards are doing the magic? Contraptions and contrivances are doing the magic, not cleverness and concept. Just think about it. Don't fall in love with the glossy finish or the big prop on stage, when YOU can be the focus of the levitation in YOUR act.

In my shows, I put the audience response first. I own a very effective version of the traditional Harbin/Gwynne suspension and this Magellan levitation, and the audience response to this is enough to never, ever even imagine using the conventional Harbin/Gwynne suspension, ever again.

My fabricators are constantly working on ways to lighten the unit, using advanced materials and alterations in design that don't affect the strength or reliability of the prop.

At this time, these units are being hand made, one-by-one, on a per order basis. Made to order.

Thanks for all of the positive reviews and support from the brave magicians who dare to step up to the challenge of being different, giving their audiences something better.

Jimmy Fingers
Can the Descension be done without re-lifting the cloth?

Thanks
Kent
Hi Kent,

No, the descending can only be done in a similar manner to the ascension. But, there has never been a question about that. Is there a motivation for descending without it? I might be able to help.

JF
Hey guys,

I've seen some of the improvements that Jimmy has made to the Magellan Levitation, and I must say that they are north of genius. When Jimmy told me that he was messing around slightly with design changes to the original, I initially cringed since I couldn't really imagine how you could improve upon it. I have one of the very first models and I love the way it works. But Jimmy has for sure raised the bar and improved upon this levitaion.

Improvements include a new setup system that is now self contained in the unit, ability to perform in more places due to some stability enhancements of the design and decreased sway of the originals versions. Efforts have been made to allow heavier magicians to levitate as well. Jimmy can set up you "huskier" magician to float as well.

Great work, Jimmy!
Thanks for the updates, Scott... Just so everyone knows, since that report, I was able re-engineer a 3-point base carpet stabilization system into the new units, and a new way of retrieving the transport system. Like Scott says, I've made these units much more stable and confidence inspiring by adding more strength where it's needed and trimming where necessary.

If anyone has an older unit, and would like to upgrade, the price of the upgrade, $425, is less than the difference in price of the new one vs. the old one. In other words, if you added the original price of the old unit to the price of the upgrade using the exchange program, the combined price would be less than the retail price of a new one.

I'm also offering customized service for heavier magicians who want to float, as well. I am lowering the lift from just under 18" to about 15" for those over 260 lbs. who might have problems with the more physical aspects of this piece.

Also, Hocus-Pocus is offering these units at this time. Thanks to Paul and Ken for their support of all of the Magellan product line through the last few years. They're involvement adds huge legitimacy and credibility to this project.

Jimmy Fingers
This is one of the neatest, self contained illusions that I have ever seen.
This week, I watched an episode of America's Got Talent. A magician on there did a very quick teleportation type effect.
First thing that I thought of was that Magellan would blow them out of the water.
One of you young whippersnappers should jump all over it.

Peace,
Parson
Hi everyone!

Please see the new live performance with huge audience response.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCMghdmnzHg

Thanks for the overwhelming support and enthusiasm that everyone has shown for this piece!

Jimmy
For at least two years I wanted to do self levitation, but I didn't get good info of other levitations, but when I read info about ML on this forum and on the ML web page I decided that I will buy Magellan levitation and put it on my show.

Thanks...

Matt
Hi Aftereight,
did you already buy the levitation? What is your experiances with it?
This is the second time I'm considering this again - but every time I watch the video, it doesn't look good. It just looks like the magician is stepping on a support of sort - doesn't look like any levitation what-so-ever. Am I missing something?

And the reveal looks really suspicious. That cloth is gigantic and the magi looks like he's about to tople over trying to balance on one foot.

I really want to like this. Does it really look different in person than on youTube?
I have no problem believing the Padre or Bill or randi, and I don't think you should either. But that is only my humble opinion.
Hi, I just wanted to share, with his permission, a note that I received from Pascal Koller regarding this levitation.

Hi Jimmy

Yesterday I've done the Magellan Levitaton for my director to take it in my program.

He flipped out! And he sees a lot of magic...
Think I'll take it as closer.

Thanks a lot for the development and sharing.

From Switzerland
Magically

Pascal
I received the latest Magellan Master levitation just before Christmas. If you remember, I had the earliest 1.0 version (maybe you could even call it the beta version) that I used in a video once posted on the Café.

When I opened the latest version (the one that Jimmy is shipping now), I was astounded by the improvements from the original. This is like version 7.0. The thinking that Jimmy has put into this to improve all aspects of the illusion was incredible. He improved the stability, the foot view/dangle, the get ready system, the cleanup system, the cloth and the cloth positioning in the final reveal. I'll tell you that previously it looked good. Now it looks like a miracle.

Well done, Jimmy. Your awesome, relentless focus on minute details absolutely paid off here.
Is there a video available that demos the latest version? I also own one of the first generation Magellan's and I think its great. I'd like to "see" the difference from the audience perspective.

Kent
Hi Kent,

This is the video of the current version...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCMghdmnzHg

Filmed in front of a couple of hundred magicians with significant others, at a wedding in Texas.

The newer version has better angles... The gimmick is better hidden from angles than the previous versions.

I'll email you the picture of it, I know that you had a previous version.

JF
http://www.lasvegasweekly.com/blogs/cleverboy/2010/mar/09/magic-union-strong-whats-parallelism/

End of article. Cool!
Great new price! Wow, that's quite a savings.

Watching the video for this, a possible alternate presentation occurred to me.

Instead of presenting it as a levitation to begin with, talk about how you've read articles recently saying that people who are taller tend to earn more, have better success romantically (probably more for guys), and are picked first for sports. You've decided to improve your prospects and love life through a little magic.

As you raise the cloth in front of you, step out of your shoes and leave the tips pointing out underneath the bottom (if that doesn't work with the gimmick, have a second identical set of shoes loaded into a pocket in the cloth, which you can drop and position before beginning). Have the audience chant something as you attempt to "grow" - something like "tall-er, tall-er, tall-er..." or whatever. When you get to the top, smile and thank everyone. Then say, "I'm sorry - I've been putting you on. You can't really 'grow' with magic." Then drop the cloth and say, "Actually, I'm just floating. But it was worth a shot." Drop back down and move on.
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (May 17, 2010 02:58PM)
Hello everyone, (I also posted this in Grand Illusions)

I just received Jimmy finger’s Magellan Levitation and like to tell you guys what I think about it. I was looking for a levitation that I didn’t need a TRUCK to haul it around but still gave me that warm and fuzzy feeling knowing that the illusion would played well. I also wanted something that could not only be performed on stage and platform but also at private parties.

I feel that this levitation is a really GREAT concept in magic and something that has made leap and bounds in self levitations. It ranks among one of the BEST NEW IDEAS that has happen in magic in a VERY LONG time. Simple in concept and deadly in performance makes this levitation simply great! IMHO

I was concerned that the cloth may look out of place and suspicious but found that people don’t care about the cloth. Watching the video doesn’t do this levitation justice because seeing this performed live will make a believer out of you. It just looks so darn cool.

What I also like is that your feet are pointing slightly downward. If you could really levitation, your feet would just hang there in the air just like they do with this levitation! I am really digging this levitation!

Best
Ray
Since the price came down so much, I went ahead and pulled the trigger on this. It's terrific. Similar to the experience of some others, my first reaction upon opening the box and examining the device was "what...?" But everything about it is there for a well-thought out reason. The device itself is quite possibly literally bombproof, it is constructed so solidly. The illusion appears exactly as in the demo video. It certainly will require practice and a bit of acting to look magical, but Mr. Fingers' explanatory demo is full of tips regarding every aspect of use and performance, including angles and practice tips.

Also included was a bonus portable levitation that you can carry around in a pocket and gives an effect similar to "One," with your feet an inch and a half or so off of the floor.
Today I ordered Magellan Solo Levitation. Can anybody explain the difference between the Solo and the master levitation?
I got my Magellan Levitation some weeks ago and I am happy with it. Great idea
How does an old knockoff of a Magellan Solo from several generations ago compare with the current Magellan Master Levitation? Let me count the ways.

The knockoff has no three point stabilization system, rendering it useless on carpeting, unstable on uneven floors or surfaces.

The knockoff has no cheat block. This results in uneven, jerky ascent and descent, and an inability to perform the transition in a slow, smooth manner, unless you're in the physical condition of an Olympic athlete.

The knockoff does not have the toe-track system for ensuring the correct, blind alignment of the cheat block.

The knockoff lacks the current transport system for getting the unit into position without the need for curtains or blackouts.

The knockoff will not have ANY kind of after the sale support, according to those who have purchased it, and attempted to contact me for support and service when the German thief refused to answer emails or other correspondence.

In many cases, the knockoff actually costs more than my new price offered at the Magellan Levitation website, the only place that you can order a legitimate, up-to-date Magellan Master Levitation.

I hope that this answers your questions.

Thanks,

Jimmy
Does the spectator ever ask why the magician needs a cloth to hide the feet during the elevation and coming down phase? Other than that, looks good.

Regards,
Mike
Jimmy,

I LOVE the Magellan, but I think your new price point is a slap in the face of everyone (like myself) who paid $1500 for it.

Cris
Jimmy,

I LOVE the Magellan, but I think your new price point is a slap in the face of everyone (like myself) who paid $1500 for it.

Cris
Jimmy,

Cris
You must really be upset. You posted the same comment 3 times! =(
No, the comment posting 3x came from a hiccup on my computer. *** PC...
Message: Posted by: SpellbinderEntertainment (Jun 28, 2010 01:24AM)
Jimmy is an honorable guy, but the way his product is being ripped off, he really had little choice than to fight back with price.

The illusion is worth the higher price, but I'd rather see the original sold and performed than the rip-off which many will buy just because of the cost.

My thougts,
Walt
I still think it's a bad move, as I can't be the only PO'd customer who paid full price for the unit...only to see the creator drop his price by around $700...while continuing to improve it.

Cris
[quote]
On 2010-06-28 18:58, Cris Johnson wrote:
I still think it's a bad move, as I can't be the only PO'd customer who paid full price for the unit...only to see the creator drop his price by around $700...while continuing to improve it.

Cris
[/quote]

So once someone sells something at a certain price, they can never change that price? That makes no sense.
I'm not going to argue about it..I have my opinion, you have yours.
Trust me, Cris, I'm getting slapped much harder than you are. I'm running damage control against someone ripping me off, and all of your concern is with thinking that you are the one getting ripped off. At the time that I sold the unit to you, I promised several things, and delivered. You agreed to pay a certain amount to obtain an effect, and you received, in good faith, what you bargained for.

I sold no "price control" or exclusivity guarantees, I simply delivered what you asked for, for a price that we agreed upon.

Trust me, I'd rather be able to provide a valuable illusion for the price that I was providing it for before. Trust me, you think that you're MY victim here?

I've given you a tool to continue providing entertainment for your audiences, gainfully. I have almost no living to be made now.

If you were to see the product that he is selling as a knockoff, next to what you have, you would be glad that you spent the extra on the original, regardless of the price now.

So, it would follow reason, since the money and price are all that matter to you, that you would have been one of the purchasers of the knockoff if you had purchased it months later. Right?

Well, rest assured, you've dodged a bullet, at any cost.

Everything that I've ever had is tied up in the Magellan. I have no investments, no savings, no property, no credit, no health insurance.

I'll bet that you have all of those things. But, like anyone crying foul about a money issue, you just want to complain.

You have absolutely no complaint that can even come close to mine.

Jimmy Fingers
Jimmy,

I have to admit...you're right.

I'm the kinda guy who does not run away from admiting when he's wrong.

I don't spend much time gossuping or cruising the Café. I only heard about the price drop and flipped.

I didn't realize someone was running off ripoffs of the Magellan.

Quite frankly, the people doing it should be kicked in the groin and dragged in the streets.

I stand by my review - it's a great prop. It sucks that you got ripped off.

I was wrong to jump the gun and you were right.

Over and out...

Cris
Thanks for that, a lot of people would justify, justify, justify... Takes a lot of character to admit that maybe the perspective was a bit skewed without knowledge of the knockoffs.

JF
Jimmy,

You're absolutely right...I am AWESOME.:)
I'm kidding! Actually, you're wrong - my perspective was not a bit skewed...it was a LOT.:)

In all seriousness, I heard about the price drop from one of my own customers. He asked me if, after several months of using it, I still recommended the Magellan. I told him in confidence that yeah, the thing ROCKS. In fact, I had just used it that day 2X when he emailed me.:)

After I received your post, Jimmy, I went back and re-read the other posts and got the skinny...boy, if people are willing to risk their health with a knock-off to save money, I have three points:

1. You're supporting a thief, plain & simple.
2. You're killing the willingness of top pros to release their best stuff
3. You're freakin' putting your HEALTH on the line! In the case of the Magellan, you're up in the air, supported by a gimmick. If you buy a knock-off, it could break, you could fall and crack a bone or smack your head on the floor, etc.

I've been knocked off with my products, and it sucks, but with a Levitation, you're risking your OWN health and safety.

In my review, I stated that the gimmick would never die under normal useage...honestly, I think it will outlive my next of kin.:)

Anyway, Jimmy, now that I've "groveled" enough (LOL) add me to the list of people imporing magicians to only support the creators who originated an effect, or marketed an authorized release, etc.

The first time I performed the Magellan, I got an awesome response. If thieves continue raping the good work of pros like Jimmy, those of us who cannot build our props (Like ME!) won't have as much good magic to buy.

Make the RIGHT choice.

Cris
I agree with Cris.

Regards,
Mike
I don't want to get involved in someone else's argument Jimmy, I completely understand your postion and what you're trying to do but I'd go easy on Cris, he seems like a nice guy and it was his review that convinced me and no doubt many others to buy the Magellan.

Best of luck to both you guys, there should be more people like you.
I've always said Jimmy put out a good product and it was worth what I paid. I jumped the gun and whined about the price drop, thinking Jimmy had just decided for no good reason to drop the price, but as I read through the other posts, it seems as though some STUPID P***K is ripping Jimmy off, which is why he feels he had to drop the price - to stay competitive. It's a shame because the only ones who suffer are:

1. Jimmy, for not rightfully getting paid what he wants and
2. the misinformed who buy the rip off, not knowing they're putting their health at risk.

By the way, Havens, thanks for putting in a good word for me. I am a nice guy.:)

Jimmy & I have kissed and made up...uh, let me rephrase that...Jimmy & I are on good terms! :)

Cris
All good points Cris, can I also say that as for "misinformed" that's putting it lightly as the eBay seller was claiming they were genuine units, even when asked directly in correspondence. He was also claiming to only have 2 units left to stimulate sales. I nearly purchased but when something seems too good to be true it usually is. It was and I'm so glad I didn't get burned, that's also thanks to Jimmy.

Jimmy is a honourable man & a great thinker & I hope price reduction puts an end to the eBay conman's sales, as anyone would be a fool to purchase elsewhere for the sake of a few dollars.
I've finally had the chance to perform this great effect in front of a live audience and I have to say the reaction has been better than I could have hoped for. It's one of those effects that magicians write it off, by harshly judging the YouTube clips (which don't do it justice), the cloth and the fact that they know they're about to witness a levitation. This is not how the audience perceives it, they have no idea what is about to happen, they don't care about the cloth and will be shocked when you drop it revealing the empty space beneath your feet.

Everything about this effect has been well thought out, the more you perform it, the more tiny details and refinements you spot. This can only be the result of years of development, thorough thought and ingenuity.

The effect comes with everything you need to perform. You get the gimmick, which is heavy, sturdy and incredibly well made, the cloth and some other bits and pieces to help aid setup. You also get a downloadable video, which can be limit where it's played. Luckily I had a laptop so I could take this with me to my practice space. A DVD would have been nice, even just a rip but what this does say to me is Jimmy cares more about the effect more than he does about a flashy video, with high production values and little substance, like many of the effects these days. The video teaches you everything you need to know and gives a very detailed explanation of how to perform the effect. It does have a few sound issues and the video quality isn't great but then Jimmy can easily be forgiven as it still more than adequately does the job and everything else, including his after sales service, is beyond the call of duty and I couldn't recommend anyone higher. I was having a few issues with some elements of the performance and Jimmy went to length to help me nail the effect. Even with the price reduction Jimmy is extremely dedicated to his customers.

For anyone tempted to buy a knock off version of this, please don't. The explanation will be in German (fine if you speak German, not so good if you don't), you'll get no after sales services and you'll end up with an inferior unit. Personally I think the new price point is bang on, it's still not cheap and is easily the most expensive effect I've ever purchased but you get what you pay for. At the previous price I simply couldn't have afforded it but this is what made me jump.

The effect also comes with a free street levitation, I'm going to talk about this because it's there but my views have no bearing on the Magellan. This levitation is very similar to Peter Loughran's 'One', except you can't view under the performer's feet. Personally I prefer the One as it has a slightly better retrieval system and people can really see under your feet but Jimmy has come up with a very elegant and simple solution to the shoe modification some levitations require and I wish I'd known about this before I committed to Peter's. This is a very nice addition to the package, I'm unlikely to use it because I own the One but for those who do, you'll find that the value of this purchase has just gone up.

Thanks to Jimmy for all your help. The challenge for performers now is to make this your own and fly.
Message: Posted by: SpellbinderEntertainment (Aug 27, 2010 03:29PM)
Have you guys noticed how few (if any) of these come up for resale or auction? Must say something about how useful they are and the reaction they get?

Two-cents,
Walt
Message: Posted by: SpellbinderEntertainment (Oct 1, 2010 12:25PM)
I have so much faith in Jimmy’s ethics,
and so much respect for the Magellan Levitation,
I’ve featured an original presentation in my new book, out today.

this performance is intended to move the spectators from
Left-brain thinking
(the part of the mind that wants to solve the puzzle and method)
to Right-brain thinking
(which excepts wonder and enchantment).

It pretty much resolves any problem of method guessing.
In case you’re interested here’s a link.

http://www.leapinglizardsmagic.com/tales_of_enchantment.htm

Magically, Walt
I performed the Magellan Levitation last night at my kid's middle school fundraiser (kids and adults present) and I presented it straight up, as a levitation. It was on a stage for about 300 people. The gasps when you drop the cloth are awesome. There were kids running out after the show telling their moms that "that guy was flying"..."OMG, he flew", and other quick notes of astonishment.

I have an original presentation that I'm working on to perform for a Halloween show that I will tip later.

With Walt's new book on his ideas for the Magellan, doing it as a straight levitation, or completely changing it up like I will be doing soon for Halloween, this device is destined to become a utility item with multiple uses and unique performances that you can make your own.
Hi,

Thanks for all of the awesome support over the last few months! Unfortunately, I am discontinuing the free promotion that included a Streamline Street Levitation with each purchase. I'm still working on it, but I just haven't had enough feedback to justify the project.

Thanks again,

Jimmy Fingers
Can the Magellan Levitation be purchased at any magic shops in the Midwest or on the east coast?
Hi Mike and everyone,

If you purchase it anywhere but through me directly, you will receive a knockoff or counterfeit that doesn't have the 3-point stabilization system that allows it to be used on uneven floors and carpeting. It will also lack a cheat step, that allows for a smooth rise and more comfortable operation. And, from what I understand, no transport system for getting into position. The knockoffs are copies of early generation versions that are simply not up to the stage that they are now. And, in many cases, the knockoffs are even higher priced than my current pricing.

I'm getting some complaints from those who receive knockoffs. I'm sorry, I don't know what I can do.

Just know that there is only one place to get this, and it is a complete and overwhelming hit with all purchasers, all reviewers. Direct through the inventor, at http://www.magellanlevitation.com

Thanks for your interest!

Jimmy
Thank you for answering my question, Jimmy.
I already posted this elsewhere, but I feel it needs posting here:

I have seen expensive levitations not do what this does. The original was great. Jimmy has taken this to a new...er...level! OK, that pun was intended, no more groaning...seriously, don't be fooled into taking a knock-off. This new Magellan system is fully developed by Jimmy, and is the only one with the new features that have been incorporated into it:

1. The 3-point stabilization system that allows it to be used on uneven floors and carpeting.
-Not only that, but generally more stable support on a flat surface! Very important improvement.

2. A cheat step, that allows for a smooth rise and more comfortable operation.
-Another great improvement! This takes practice to look right. After working with this until you become smooth, this is one of the most deceptive parts of this illusion.

3. A transport system for getting into position.
-Self explanatory.

Plus, Jimmy has taken a big hit on the Magellan Levitation. Lowering the price, and improving it like this! He invented this, got ripped-off by some no-conscience weasel, and had to compete with him! This is the world we live in! Luckily this thief is overseas, or he might have not gotten away with it. I'm just sayin'...At least you know who to buy it from now, and who will give you excellent...er...support! ~cringe~! I'm just full o' puns, ain't I?

Doug
Message: Posted by: SpellbinderEntertainment (Nov 15, 2010 08:05PM)
There’s been tons of reviews on the Magellan Master Levitation, and I’ve put in my two-cents before as Jimmy’s shared his journey with me, that said:

I am now the very happy owner of the newest generation of Jimmy Finger’s Levitation.

Yes, the new stabilization system, along with the new lift system, and the new non-flex assembly, have improved an already stunning Illusion.

The updated teaching video is detailed, and Jimmy is always open to talk if you have questions. It’s almost $600 cheaper now, and this first-class magic was worth the original $1,500.

The magic is very startling and quite deceptive to a lay audience. It’s best to keep this simple, don’t muck it up with lots of fancy stuff. Just walk on, rise, walk off to applause.

I’m now looking for just he proper, subtle music to create a perfect mood, and I’ll be using the left-to-right brain technique and presentation from my new book.

If you’ve always wanted to “float on air” this is a quality crowd pleaser, better and cheaper than ever.

Just ask Santa and get yourself a huge stocking…

Magically,
Walt
It's on my wishlist. (I just have to decide between buying this "gift" for myself or buying gifts for family members this year.)
[quote]
On 2010-11-17 18:12, Gary Fabjance wrote:
It's on my wishlist. (I just have to decide between buying this "gift" for myself or buying gifts for family members this year.)
[/quote]

Buy it for yourself, then perform it for your family on Christmas day. It's the gift that keeps on giving.
Great, I am thinking of buying one (hope I am the only one in The Netherlands :)
What a great addition to my show this will be; can't wait to get it!
Just prior to the "money shot" during a show in December where I closed the first half. You can see that the cloth is mid-drop...just before the jaws dropped in the audience.
The Magellan looks very cool! Seems easy to pack as well.

Hmm I should start saving for this one.

Best
Dom
Jimmy just sent me a note today telling me that my unit has been shipped. I can't wait to share what I think about it, and more, what my audience does.
I knew that the Magellan Levitation had reached credible miracle status when Lou ordered one. Lou is a true master of levitation. Thanks for making the move, your enthusiasm for the project is special and appreciated!

Jimmy Fingers
I knew that the Magellan Levitation had reached credible miracle status when Lou ordered one. Lou is a true master of levitation. Thanks for making the move, your enthusiasm for the project is special and appreciated!

Jimmy Fingers
Finally, I used it on my 2 shows today. I was at first hesitant to use it but I said to myself, when? Besides, I was eager to know how my audience felt about it. And I did rehearse this for 3 days.

I performed this in the middle part of my 1 hour show. This was sort of an opening act before I performed my levitation illusion with a volunteer.

The first show today came out perfect, the audience started applauding when I started floating upward, then when I revealed my whole body, I heard a few screams . . . from the adults who stood up in disbelief. The second show in another venue came up with the same results. Not bad on my 1st day using it.
And the next best thing is that my 3 magic assistants approve of it. Who is a better judge than them.

I am happy I got this. I did make some minor modifications with the cloth which I will share to Jimmy. I also did my own version of the floating movements which I haven't seen anyone do before. I will post my video on youtube soon.

All I can say now is: Jimmy, stop selling this!
Thanks for the nice video link, Lou, you picked up on the nuances really quick...

I'm thrilled that someone who has owned almost every kind of suspension and illusion is having so much fun and success with this, and seeing such great responses out of the gate!

By the way, your show package is quite impressive! I've never seen such a well produced show, over here in the states at least. I'm flattered that you would make my work a part of your production, thanks Lou...

Jimmy
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Feb 12, 2011 06:18PM)
Lou,
I am glad that you had a great reaction using this levitation! It is ALWAYS good to hear people scream during an illusion. LOL

The first time that I used it, I was a little concerned that it may not play as I hoped, but it got a real good respose from the people. I really like the Magellan and I am glad that I have it!

I got to the point that I didn't like hauling around my BIG heavy levitation and the Magellan fits the bill for something small that plays REALLY BIG!

Best
Ray
Ray,
You and Scott were part of my influence on this. And with over 10,000 views on this topic, how could one go wrong?
Now, I am setting aside my Barstool Levitation and replacing it with this. My assistants love it.
I checked out the magellan levitation web site and I was intrigued by this statement:

"Now, the Magellan Master Levitation can be performed alone, solo, OR as
a two person effect similar to the original Magellan Witch, but much more
compact, portable, deceptive and practical!"

Can anyone comment on the two person effect or post a video. I do some shows with my daughters and there just seems to be such an emotional hook about a father levitating his daughter. My girls are teenagres now so they have some physical abilities in order to do illusions.

Thanks.
I've pm'd Mike the Magellan Duo video link. Thanks for all of the nice comments about the Magelllan!!!

JF
I really like the Duo version. It seems like a great benefit to be able to do it both ways!
My daughter who has worked with me in shows since she was 7 years old, is now nearly 16 and loves performing the Magellan with me. The bad part is I think she is better at it, so she is the one levitating and the star. I am over 6 foot tall and she is just over 5 foot, so it looks pretty impressive when she slowly rises to be taller than I am.

Have fun your assistants will love this and may even steal the show!!!

Walking Bob in Iowa

P.S. I also find it much easier to perform with two people than by yourself.
I'd really be thrilled to see what you guys have done with the duo concept!

Please get some video, Bob... You're the pioneer of the real world duo concept, since I only do it alone. Seeing it is believing!

Thanks for the nice words,

Jimmy
Lou, I'm glad it's going so well for you. We haven't spoken since you received it so this post is the first time I'd heard how it was going. Awesome. And it's truly funny that your barstool is going in the closet for a while!

I have received similar scream reactions from audiences as well. It turns a levitation into shock magic, to an extent.
[quote]
. . . . I have received similar scream reactions from audiences as well. It turns a levitation into shock magic, to an extent.
[/quote]

Hi Scott,
Very well said. I am now dreaming of different presentations for this right now. It is also a fun prop to perform with. Gosh, I now have a bruise on my left lower front leg due to the kick drops, LOL.
Have any of you ever tried this with a thicker cloth? I seem to have problems using a thicker cloth during the feet reveal part. I need to pull the cloth harder because it sticks to my shoes. Anyway, I'm just experimenting it with a thicker cloth. The one provided works fine.
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Feb 23, 2011 09:53PM)
Sometimes the cloth hangs on my left toe! I then have to shake it (I am talking about the cloth ;)) to make it fall away from my shoe.

I am still trying to come up with a set of steps or something to house the gimmick so that I can walk up the steps with the cloth hanging over one arm and then float above the steps. This way people will be able to view the levitation better because I will be higher off the floor. I am trying to start and end clean.

Ray
Hello everyone,

I only have one left in stock, and, due to high oil prices, my welders are working on oilfield tools, and have put Magellan orders on the back burner. When they do make a batch, I don't know how many will be built. I will be sending to those on the waiting list, first purchased first served.

Thanks, and I will update as soon as more are available.

Jimmy
The last of the current batch is sold! I will update everyone as soon as I have more available!

Thanks,

Jimmy
Message: Posted by: SpellbinderEntertainment (Mar 10, 2011 02:36PM)
Jimmy!
-Maybe don't make any more, keep it exclusive for your current fan base.
-Or make them just one unit at a time to keep them unique.
-Or exactly double your price for an "authentic unit" and let people get hurt who by the ripoffs.
All we owner would just love one of those options.
Walt
[quote]
On 2008-09-07 01:59, magic4545 wrote:
Hi,

It's weighs 12 lbs. and fits in a carry-on sized piece of baggage.

Please see http://www.jimmyfingers.com/magsolo.htm for more information and videos.

Thanks,

Jimmy

The video looks incredible! Wish I had the money to purchase this now...will have to start saving!
[/quote]
My welders just called and notified me that they have finished 5 of these. I have 4 people on a verbal waiting list. If you want one, these won't last long!

Jimmy
I performed this recently for an audience and they didn't go wild like this effect deserves, I guess this can happen sometimes because people just don't know how to react. It's an odd reaction to get from such special effect, it deserves rapturous applause. I also think it may have freaked people out a little. Has anyone else experienced a similar reaction?

I have of course received the expected response many times and have even performed this close-up with people on a foot or 2 away, as well as with people behind me (other acts waiting to go on) and they haven't seen how it's achieved. One act even told me he had to double take when he saw from behind before he clocked how it was done, but then kept checking my legs for apparatus!
I think you may have experienced "audience shock", the state of mind where they are extremely focused on what you are doing, their jaws are open, they are witnessing a miracle, but they truly don't know how to react. They may not know when or how to react. They are also looking for permission from you to let that out. And sometimes they don't realize your visual cues. They also may be waiting to see how high you are going to go before they applaud.

In performing the Magellan, I tend to throw one of my arms high in the air when I'm at the apex of the levitation, in an applause cue pose. Typically I hear gasps and "no way's" as I'm rising, but there have been some performances that have been totally silent until I throw my arm up and allow them to release their excitement.

Well done, Havens! I think you better get the crash cart out, because you may have to defibrillate some people back into this world!
I guess you have to compose music with a dramatic cue when you reveal your feet to signal the audience to respond.
There is a natural applause cue when you drop the cloth. The left hand is still holding the cloth, and the right hand is in a natural position to be raised and to open itself to applause.

Don't forget to smile!

JF
I always am very carefull with what I'm asking an audience to believe or where I'm dircting their focus. Applause cues typically follow a tension and release format. You're under tension holding out for the magical moment, you create the effect then you release all of the energy giving the audience a chance to relax and applaud. If there is any residual tension, the applause will be muted. For example, I'm doing a vanish and my gulity hand with the load has any residual tension in it, even though I show my other hand clean, the tenson keeps the audience from falling into total believability. If you whip the cover off of a box to show that it's empty, there is a natural release which will cue the applause. What would happen if instead of whipping the cloth away from the box, you carefully slid the cloth back until it only covered the load chamber. The movement of the cloth directs the eye and mind of the audience to the exact method. There are times this can be used as a trick to direct the audiences attention AWAY from the actual method but when it leads to the method, it can be hard to sell. If you were to freely drop the cloth without leaving any hint of tension or "carefullness" to the reveal, that would help a great deal. If the cloth is "lowered" and there is a feeling of restricted freedom of motion, most audiences will suspect it and it will create subliminal unrest halting a full reaction.
[quote]
On 2011-04-17 21:46, Lou Hilario wrote:
I guess you have to compose music with a dramatic cue when you reveal your feet to signal the audience to respond.
[/quote]

Don't worry Lou, the music I use has a perfect cue and I've timed the effect to perfection to the natural cues in the music.

[quote]
On 2011-04-18 01:13, Ray Pierce wrote:
I always am very carefull with what I'm asking an audience to believe or where I'm dircting their focus. Applause cues typically follow a tension and release format. You're under tension holding out for the magical moment, you create the effect then you release all of the energy giving the audience a chance to relax and applaud. If there is any residual tension, the applause will be muted. For example, I'm doing a vanish and my gulity hand with the load has any residual tension in it, even though I show my other hand clean, the tenson keeps the audience from falling into total believability. If you whip the cover off of a box to show that it's empty, there is a natural release which will cue the applause. What would happen if instead of whipping the cloth away from the box, you carefully slid the cloth back until it only covered the load chamber. The movement of the cloth directs the eye and mind of the audience to the exact method. There are times this can be used as a trick to direct the audiences attention AWAY from the actual method but when it leads to the method, it can be hard to sell. If you were to freely drop the cloth without leaving any hint of tension or "carefullness" to the reveal, that would help a great deal. If the cloth is "lowered" and there is a feeling of restricted freedom of motion, most audiences will suspect it and it will create subliminal unrest halting a full reaction.
[/quote]

A lot of very good points to think about there Ray. Additionally I don't think the audience were in the mood to witness a miracle of any sort, they were cold, many were busy eating and the compere hadn't done a very good job of warming them up. They were certainly on their guard and I can imagine a totally different reaction later on in the night, when they were more relaxed. I don't think I failed in my performance, though some blame can always lay there, as the other magicians were wild about the effect, even picking up on some the subtleties gone into producing a steady rise, as witnessed from an exposed angle. As I mentioned previously some were even puzzled by the effect, despite having a clear view of the workings.

Part of the blame lay on the environment but as a performer I should also be looking at ways to improve on my performance and deal with tough crowds. Don't get me wrong, they were clapping, but I think this effect deserves more, as I've previously received. The gig was tough and I had to work hard to gain the audience's attention, which I did by the end of my set and was glad I had something as powerful as the Magellan to end on.
Hi Everyone,

I have A Magellan Master Levitation for sale in the Tricks and Effect for Sale here if anyone is interested.
Brand new, unused (was bought for a series of shows that unfortunately fell through, and does not fit in my current regular act)

Cheers,
Adrian
I never perform while an audience is eating. I only do after dinner performance. Eating, and even coffee/dessert service, can kill your reactions from an audience.

If you do your act for an eating audience, don't be surprised when they treat their food like a TV dinner, and your show like a TV program.

JF
[quote]
On 2011-04-19 10:07, magic4545 wrote:
I never perform while an audience is eating. I only do after dinner performance. Eating, and even coffee/dessert service, can kill your reactions from an audience.

If you do your act for an eating audience, don't be surprised when they treat their food like a TV dinner, and your show like a TV program.

JF
[/quote]

I totally and 100% agree with this, unfortunately it was out of my hands. It's even worse at standup comedy clubs where I've known audiences not only to be eating but to have their backs to the acts while they're on. I was booked to do a job, which I did to the best of my ability but my feeling is that both myself and the second act took one for the team.

"Don't be surprised when they treat their food like a TV dinner, and your show like a TV program."

That is an an extremely apt think to say that totally sums up the audience reaction - A brilliant way of putting it. Some were definitely enjoying the show, while others had their heads down in their food and when the response is subdued from those eating, it can infect others that aren't.
Usually, comedy club food is enough on it's own to cause the audience to stop eating...
I was wondering if anyone has found a small suitcase or something that this fits in? I tried my carry-on but seemed to be missing a couple of inches. I'm not worried about damaging it as it is built quite strong but I want to protect my other props during transport.
Message: Posted by: SpellbinderEntertainment (Jun 20, 2011 12:50AM)
I have a medium size Vidal Sassoon carry-on bag,
it is made from parachute material and folds up into nothing when empty,
but then holds the levitation and foulard exactly, safely, and with no added weight,
so it works well as carry-on.
Magically, Walt
A carry-on is fine, but I'll be honest... I prefer to use a 29" large spinner suitcase. I use the "fits in a carry-on" to give the purchaser an idea of the size of the gimmick.

I use 5" sponge cubes with slits in them to cover the ends of the footplates and the two angles, secured with velcro strips. When you are driving through your neighborhood, and see a couch or loveseat being discarded, take the cushions and remove the upholstery fabric. Use an electric carving knife (the kind that you use for bread and turkey) and cut the sponge of the cushion into cubes. Cut the two for the angles larger than the 5" cubes. Then, cut a slit in the cube that fits around the gimmick. Obviously, I prefer to check this than to carry it on.

I've traveled all over with this setup. It's the most convenient illusion finale for a parlor act that I can imagine!

Jimmy
I just received my Megellan Master Levitation yesterday and was very excited to get started playing with this thing. After a couple of hours of playing with it, here is my review.

I have been wanting one of these for a while but was hesitant because I just didn't know what the gimmick was and quite frankly, times are tough and it is expensive. All I know is I loved the video of Jimmy performing it. So, I decided to take a chance on it and honestly after playing with it, I love it and just can't wait to try it out on a live audience. Jimmy's customer service was top notch. He answered my question and delivered the product right away. I was very impressed because in this business you just don't find that a lot. When it came in, all I could say is wow, this thing is bullet proof and built very well. You can tell a lot of though has been put into it and it is designed very well.

What you get is exactly what you see Jimmy doing in the video. The angles are a lot better than I expected so I am very happy with it and highly recommend it.

At first I was a bit concerned with all the comments concerning the physicality or slight of body comments and I thought it would take LOTS of practice. Of course, I plan on practicing until, I feel like it is perfect. After an hour of working with it, I was starting to get the hang of it. I pulled out my iphone and shot a quick little video just to send to my friend to show him how cool it is. So, I thought I would post the link on here to show you guys what can be done after just an hour of playing with it. Keep in mind, it is a practice video and I was not worried as much with my showmanship as just demoing it for a friend. I think this thing is so good, I wanted to share with the community. I want to stress this is just after playing with it for a while! It is a private link and I will remove it after a while. Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_TGjE2yyGM

So, I love it and if you are thinking about picking one of these up, I recommend it!
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Sep 9, 2011 10:42PM)
WayneCapps
That looked really great!

Ray
I recently did a gig where, backstage, the promoter saw the workings of the effect during set up. After I’d placed the gimmick on stage he said to me “When I saw it, I was think how are you going to get that on stage? Then you picked it up and put it down like it was nothing.”

The thought that has gone into the Magellan goes far beyond the just levitation itself.
Thanks Ray! I love this thing.
[quote]
On 2011-11-22 10:25, WayneCapps wrote:
Thanks Ray! I love this thing.
[/quote]

Hi Wayne, I'd love to see the video but unfortunately I can't access it - any chance you'd be able to share the link with me please?
I would like to extend an offer of online Skype coaching internationally or live coaching to those in Las Vegas working with their Magellan Master levitation. There are several subtleties and important details to the performance of this that can be stepped up in almost every presentation. I have upgraded my computer, webcam and wifi infrastructure reliability to accommodate this. The interactions are currently more stable and seamless.

Thanks so much for your continued enthusiasm and input.

Jimmy
That's a great offer, Jimmy. Thanks. Think I'll take you up on it. I purchased this from you almost two years ago, but have performed it only a handful of times and would love to hear any tips you didn't include on the instructional download.
Hi everyone,

To the request of further tips on performance, I would simply say this. Really copy and emulate the moves on the instructional to the nth degree. Then, make sure that you've seen yourself on video performing it. Over and over. Only then would I "make it your own". Then video again, and make sure that whatever you do to change or improve it does not take away from the original performance method and effect.

I'm killing all over Vegas with this, and it's a showstopper! Every show that I'm in specifically requests it over everything else. It's a real hit!

If you're having problems with smoothness and the physicality required to perform it, make sure that you pay attention to the details of the instructional video. Most of the time that people complain about the stress of the rise execution, they simply aren't following the instructions.

Properly executed, there is a slow rise without any stress or pain.

Jimmy
Hi Jimmy, I always employ a slow levitation but during a recent practice session I changed it to a quick rise - which I also employed at a subsequent gig. This seemed to work well as it looked like I'd shot up in the air, rather than floated - have you ever performed it this way and what are you thoughts on this?

Also do you have any advice for wobbly stages? Sometimes a venue's stage can be a little less sturdy than I'd like and I've found the part where I lower to be quite challenging and almost impossible to practice for. Any help much appreciated. NOTE: This is in no way a reflection on the excellent levitation itself, more on the temporary stages that I sometimes find myself having to perform on.
Hi Havens,

I've never tried to do it that fast, but I was trying to get the most out of the mystery... I can't see it, but, hey, you never know until you've done it in extremely similar situations with different paces.

I usually prefer to have a background that shows your change of height. In other words, something with more of a horizontal pattern than a vertical on that doesn't show the difference.

As long as you're using the 3 point stabilization system, that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

I've never had a problem with the illusion on unstable stages.

Thanks for the nice words on the Magellan Master Levitation, and best of luck!!!

Jimmy Fingers
Is there an angle issue if the audience can look down upon the performer? I sometimes have to work beneath and somewhat in front of a balcony. Will the workings be revealed to spectators looking down from above the performance?
[quote]
On 2012-03-30 14:18, marknem7 wrote:
Is there an angle issue if the audience can look down upon the performer? I sometimes have to work beneath and somewhat in front of a balcony. Will the workings be revealed to spectators looking down from above the performance?
[/quote]

You know what the angles are so good on this you could get away with it but all I really wouldn't risk it. I've had people standing behind me (backstage performers) and some clearly saw the gimmick, while others said they did but were later checking my legs for stilts. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable performing this with someone above and behind me, directly above and you may be ok. Could you not just set-up this one trick slightly under the balcony?
[quote]
Also do you have any advice for wobbly stages? Sometimes a venue's stage can be a little less sturdy than I'd like and I've found the part where I lower to be quite challenging and almost impossible to practice for. Any help much appreciated. NOTE: This is in no way a reflection on the excellent levitation itself, more on the temporary stages that I sometimes find myself having to perform on.
[/quote]

Havens just informed me of a bent element of one of the 3 points for the stabilization. My response was, yes, of course, this will negatively affect the stability. Please replace the bolt with one of identical length and size immediately.

Imagine, having a tripod table with one leg that is a different length that the others, and wanting the top to be level. Simply not realistic.

JF
[quote]
On 2012-04-13 11:44, magic4545 wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

Havens just informed me of a bent element of one of the 3 points for the stabilization. My response was, yes, of course, this will negatively affect the stability. Please replace the bolt with one of identical length and size immediately.

Imagine, having a tripod table with one leg that is a different length that the others, and wanting the top to be level. Simply not realistic.

JF
[/quote]

Totally agree, and to think I've been using it like this since purchase as I thought it was meant to be like that - everything else is so well thought of I assumed this was just another fine touch - bent to the perfect angle! I wish I'd said something from the start.

Will replace the bolt as soon as I can get to the hardware store, thanks Jimmy.
Hello everyone!

For the next few days, I am moving all of my stock to Las Vegas. In an effort to minimize the move, I will be taking offers for brand new Magellan Master Levitations. If you have been wanting one of these, but have found the cost to be prohibitive, this might be a good time to contact me. Please feel free to reach me here, through email or the website.

Thanks,

Jimmy Fingers
Thanks to Justin Kredible for his purchase, and for the great job that I hear that he did while using the Magellan levitation at the Magic Castle!

Jimmy Fingers
[quote]
On 2012-06-25 12:54, magic4545 wrote:
Thanks to Justin Kredible for his purchase, and for the great job that I hear that he did while using the Magellan levitation at the Magic Castle!

Jimmy Fingers
[/quote]

That is awesome Jimmy, and what a great performer Justin is......
Great piece of magic/illusion. Love mine!
Hello everyone.

When I first read-up on this levitation, I was very excited, but after reading more reviews, my heart sank when I found out it cannot be performed as part of an 'on the street' show.

I'm really hoping someone will be able to enlighten me on this, hopefully Jimmy can give me the heads-up on the latest developments.

Greatly looking forward to a quick response to this.

BEST.

Neil.
Neil,

This is not for the street. This is meant to do either in a stage/parlour setting. Actually- this can be done with people rather close to you just not for people behind you.

It is an awesome levitation. I do this every weekend on the cruise ship I work and never fails to really blow the specs away!

RNK
Hey Bob.

Thanks for your nice comments.

Sure, this illusion does sound very promising indeed and initially I was looking to do this as part of my street entertainment, but, after speaking with Jimmy, he's said it's a no-goer for outdoor use, as Jimmy says the wind will get to the cloth and anyone behind won't be as flattered :(

I do think there may be a glimmer of hope in the outdoor application and I've thought about having a backdrop and having side pieces to obscure the illusion side-on, this could possibly work. And also you could have a heavy foulard in case it's a windy day.

I'd really like to meet somebody who performs this on the streets if there's somebody out there that can shed some light.

Has any of you performed this in a restaurant and if so, how well does it play in these conditions? I know you won't be able to do this right in front of a table, but instead will be a good few feet away, in a spare space.

I've been watching quite a few videos on You Tube with people performing their levitation, though most of them can't perform it very well. Their rise looks somewhat jerky if you know what I mean? It isn't very fluid-like. These people look relatively fit and in shape. Why can't they make their incline/decline look natural and smooth?

Bob and others, are you using the latest version? Has anyone compared the old version with the new? Also, to get the incline/decline fluid-like and natural, does this take much practice and if so, how much?

Does anyone have a video to share with the latest version in action?

Best.

Neil.
Any update please?
Hi Neil!

I'm thinkin' it's all been said. I agree...this is NOT for the street. Period. Best find another illusion for that. Good luck! :)

Doug
[quote]
On 2013-08-12 17:14, bluedragon wrote:
Hey Bob.

Thanks for your nice comments.

Sure, this illusion does sound very promising indeed and initially I was looking to do this as part of my street entertainment, but, after speaking with Jimmy, he's said it's a no-goer for outdoor use, as Jimmy says the wind will get to the cloth and anyone behind won't be as flattered :(

I do think there may be a glimmer of hope in the outdoor application and I've thought about having a backdrop and having side pieces to obscure the illusion side-on, this could possibly work. And also you could have a heavy foulard in case it's a windy day.

I'd really like to meet somebody who performs this on the streets if there's somebody out there that can shed some light.

Has any of you performed this in a restaurant and if so, how well does it play in these conditions? I know you won't be able to do this right in front of a table, but instead will be a good few feet away, in a spare space.

I've been watching quite a few videos on You Tube with people performing their levitation, though most of them can't perform it very well. Their rise looks somewhat jerky if you know what I mean? It isn't very fluid-like. These people look relatively fit and in shape. Why can't they make their incline/decline look natural and smooth?

Bob and others, are you using the latest version? Has anyone compared the old version with the new? Also, to get the incline/decline fluid-like and natural, does this take much practice and if so, how much?

Does anyone have a video to share with the latest version in action?

Best.

Neil.
[/quote]

I have the new version. Unless you have a dedicated spot at the restaurant where no one can see behind you or directly to the sided- this will not work. As far as the smoothness- I agree- the videos of others performing this does not do the effect justice. They are very jerky movements. I must say- performing this correctly for me came, as with all effects, after many runs. The smoothness will just come. And let me tell you- when it does- The Magellan Levi will be a HUGE hit in your show. It is in mine. I pretty much close with it and it gets gasps and "No Ways" from all!

RNK
Excellent call RNK, thanks for your input.

Nevertheless, I'm ruling out the Magellan for street useage, which is a shame but never mind. Maybe in years to come, Jimmy will be releasing a levi that can be performed outdoors.

I'm getting really excited about the Magellan. I'll be making a fine investment in the next month or two and try and get a good video together and show you how much of a superman I really am ha!

Can anyone tell me of a good, valid excuse to ponder around the raised curtain, to justify why there's a long pause before lift off? Just looking at this from an audience point of view, they may be asking why did it take 15-20 seconds pondering behind the curtain before lift off.

Also, is the supplied curtain a shiny or none shiny material? If it's shiny, then I will be buying my own none shiny opaque material. Which material would you recommend?

Best.

Neil.
You don't have to ponder behind the curtain. This is a preference call on the performers part. You can go right into the levitation if you like. Maybe some choose to ponder because they feel while they are pondering they are gathering the necessary energy to lift off...... But- Jimmy shows you a few ways to do the levitation in which you can make up your mind whether or not to ponder.....

RNK
Selling it is the key... Great mime, costuming, consideration of your character. But, don't go too crazy changing up the procedures, or you'll lose the effect. I'm closing the show in the Grand Canyon with it, almost every night. It's a fun piece, I always look forward to doing it!!!

JF
Okay thanks guys, appreciate your input.

Finally, can you please advise - is the supplied curtain a shiny or none shiny material? If it's shiny, then I will be buying my own none shiny opaque material. Which material would you recommend?

Will be back soon on this with my review.

Best.

Neil.
[quote]
On 2013-08-29 15:27, bluedragon wrote:
Okay thanks guys, appreciate your input.

Finally, can you please advise - is the supplied curtain a shiny or none shiny material? If it's shiny, then I will be buying my own none shiny opaque material. Which material would you recommend?

Will be back soon on this with my review.

Best.

Neil.
[/quote]

One side is shiny but the other side is not!

RNK
The supplied sheet is a high quality, thick, opaque shiny black satin cloth with a matte black back side. The correct cloth supplied with this is vital to the execution of the miracle.

Jimmy
I will add the cloth IS exceptional quality. I have been using this on the ship every show and the cloth still looks as it did the first day I received it.

RNK
Just to report- I have been using this in most of my home private shows (the ones willing to pay extra to see me levitate!). The spectators are literally 4 to 5 feet from me sometimes and cannot tell a thing! As a matter of fact, this past weekend I had a kid crawl up to within 2 to 3 feet of me and STILL had no idea!!! Jimmy- this is crazy! One of the best portable illusions out there!! Not to mention- this has allowed me to raise the price of my shows!

RNK
Just some brainstorming here: what if the cloth were a magician's cloak, and the device was concealed under the cloak on the magician's back somehow (a harness?), then the cloak could be removed and placed on the floor and then go into the routine. I'm just trying to justify the cloth as a cloak to make the routine more organic.
[quote]
On 2013-10-04 21:28, todsky wrote:
Just some brainstorming here: what if the cloth were a magician's cloak, and the device was concealed under the cloak on the magician's back somehow (a harness?), then the cloak could be removed and placed on the floor and then go into the routine. I'm just trying to justify the cloth as a cloak to make the routine more organic.
[/quote]

I see your point. Though, I don't know if that would be possible to do. A great idea though! But the cloth adds that layer of mystery until you shock them when you remove the cloth from in front of you while you floating freely...........................
I think that the cloth is sort of like the zombie ball's cloth... and if it's shown unattached and dropped away, all of a sudden it was just a teaser.

Just a reminder, though. The sheet is completely ungimmicked. It doesn't get any cleaner than that.

Ultimately, the sound of the audience gasps is all that matters.

Jimmy
www.magellanlevitation.com
Coming soon, the Magellan Duo, the Magellan levitation for two-person acts. Different handling, different gimmick. The Magellan Master Levitation is still available, and, at this time, in stock.

Jimmy
I'm working on offering the option of accepting BitCoin for any future transactions.

Please contact me for details and availability of service. I'm currently putting together the server, and I will accelerate the process for potential purchasers of Magellan Master Levitation, Choppo, Rope-u-tation, and my mentalism pdf's.

Thanks,

Jimmy
Due to a change in my living situation, geographically, I will be offering a couple more of these for immediate shipment, and then, I will be trying to fabricate these at a remote fabrication shop. This shop has been making these for me for several years, but I'm just not near enough to it to estimate delivery times that are normally lightning fast.

Thanks for the support, and please order sooner than later to avoid any lag in service, if you plan on a specific performance on an upcoming date.

Jimmy
Hello Mr. Jimmy,
I have seen this beautiful Illusion. Fantastic!
Is it possible to perform the illusion end of the 30 minutes show ?
Can I attache the gimmick since the beginning and perform other items in the show >
kind regards,
Abu
Hi Abu, the Magellan Master Levitation can be performed at any time in your act, since there is nothing worn on the body, and the included transport system can be used for entry and exit, without the need for a stage curtain or blackout.

Thanks for your interest and inquiry,

Jimmy
New, and improved. The Magellanaire Levitation, featuring modular and aluminum design, is now available.

For the discerning performer, traveling to corporate events without any additional shipping fees or freight charges.

These are being produced in small batches, and availability will vary by demand.

These have turned out to be absolutely beautiful. Water jetted precision and precise quality control, with a powder coated finish to offer a durable, dead black finish. These units spare no expense in offering the state of the art presentation of the world's most popular self levitation on the market. The new self contained transport system takes full advantage of the amazing 9 pound weight! Tempered aluminum, designed with NO heat applied to potentially brittle joined areas. This is a masterpiece of design and technology, fitting for travel within a regular briefcase or laptop bag.

If you weren't a magician, you'd display it in your museum.

Jimmy Fingers imagique@gmail.com
Is there a way for original owners of the Magallen to own or buy the new one at a cheaper price or work something out? :)
I bought one of the first Magellanaire and I must say it is beautiful. Anytime I can cut some weight and/or make transporting things easier it is a real plus for me.

Because of the new design I fit everything in a standard briefcase! The illusion itself works exactly the same way so there was no real learning curve since I owned the previous model.

The Magellan is easy enough to resell as it has a great reputation and, because it's built like a tank, there is virtually no wear.
I'm really excited about this Magellenaire. It's ironic that a levitation can be lighter. But it makes the already fantastic illusion that much better. And the portability of it for travelers is a great plus.
Thanks for the nice words. The original Magellans hold their value well. The cost to manufacture these makes discounts prohibitive.

Thanks,

Jimmy
The last Magellanaire unit has been sold. At this time any orders will require several weeks to fill, so if you're looking for that holiday season game changer, please consider ordering soon to get yours in time for those big money clients that you want to keep in your portfolio.

This is the real thing, and it's only available direct through
magellanlevitation.com

Thank you, everyone, for the landslide support of this hugely popular, real world miracle!

Jimmy Fingers
Jimmy what is the cost of the new Magellanaire?
Do you have one in stock?
The new Magellanaire is $1295 USD, plus shipping. At this time, the units are being water jetted/cut, and should be ready to ship within a couple of weeks. None are in stock at this time, I'm sorry.

Jimmy
Due to production costs, the price of the Magellanaire is currently $1495.00 USD plus shipping. I underestimated the aluminum water jet production market, and they are simply willing to let their machines sit idle rather than negotiate pricing to have business. I went for months without ordering, and they were still unwilling to budge on pricing or quantities.

Jimmy Fingers
New site: www.jimmyfingers.com/products has a link to this, www.magellanlevitation.com

Thanks,

Jimmy
www.jimmyfingers.com/products
MAGIC Café SPECIAL: Original Steel Magellan levitation Bare Bones kit(no sheet, supply your own twin sized black sheet). Selling off until I have no more left. Half price, please contact me for details and availability.

Thanks,

Jimmy
Http://www.magellanlevitation.com/the-new-magellan-featherlite-levitation
Jimmy has a new Featherlight Magellan I saw in another forum post. This recent post discusses the Magellanaire (the model that breaks down into a briefcase). The Featherlight is the aluminum model of the steel design and can still fit into a carry-on bag. The other post is here:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=653394&forum=7
The pricing may have been updated to reflect the entire line, not sure.

Edit: OK my bad, Jimmy posted the website link one post above this one. So the cat is already out of the bag. I just never clicked the link before. My link is the Café discussion.