(Close Window)
Topic: My next deck?
I was on ebay looking to buy a couple of gaffed decks but I'm not sure what deck I should get next. I have Brainwave, Invisible Deck, Svengali, Stripper.
Without revealing how they work, can anyone suggest some decks, and describe the effects.
Thanks
Justin.

(please don't just tell me to get a regular deck and RRTCM, I already have those. I'm trying to start a gaffed deck collection)
David Regal's books have several gaffed deck effects in them that are very strong.
Here's just a few worth checking out from David's books & DVDs:

-The Deja Vu deck
-Pasteboard Massacre
-Tripe Vision
-Deep guilt Aces
-Prophecy Pack
Simon Lovell sells a gaffed deck with 2 dvd, and the gaffed deck allow you to do several tricks mcdonald aces, 3 card monte, etc. I don't recall the name of the deck.
Is this the one? Simon Lovell's PACKET KILLER (2-DVD SET W/ DECK) found it at Diamond Magic price $50.00.
Yeah he's talking about packet killer
http://magicvault.net/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=69 for $43

But that's a bunch of packet tricks put together to form a deck. I'm looking more for something like the invisible deck, or the stripper deck for my collection.

can anyone enlighten me as to what a cheek to cheek deck is, or how about a split deck? those and many others are on ebay with no explanation as to the effect.
thanks
Cheek to Cheek IIRC is a Triumph effect.
The stripper deck, with one of many DVDs, such as Strip, or My Night with a Stripper, or 25 Tricks with a Stripper Deck, will give you a versatile tool to use for a number of very different effects, beyond the basic few that come with the deck. Of course, you already have one, but these DVDs may give you some ways to use it that you didn't know. Also, a marked deck can provide you with many different effects. For single trick gaff decks, there are so many to choose from. I would either do a search here for favorite gaffed decks, or scan a large online catalog, pick out the effects that tickle your fancy, and then check out whether it has been reviewed or discussed on the Café, for example, or another forum. Some of my favorites are Spreadwave (freely selected card spelled out when cards are spread), Chaos 2 (interesting take on the Triumph), Stranger in Paradise (kind of Brainwave with two decks, the card freely selected from red backed deck is the only one missing from a blue backed deck held by the spectator throughout the effect, and the selected card is then turned over and has a blue back), In a Flash (signed quarter burns a hole through a deck to rest on top of selected and signed card). There are seemingly millions of other fun ones.

John
Try Split Deck -The deck is diagonally cut in half so you have two matching half decks. Two spectators are shown a separate half of the cards. Each spectator freely selects a half card from their stack, not showing it to anyone. The cards are shown to be all different. The spectator's selected cards are shown and both are a perfect match.
Wow that sounds like a cool effect, I think I just might get that one.
As a "one trick" deck, I like Cardtoon.
I love Charles Reynold's "Force of Thought" deck.
[quote]
On 2008-09-08 18:44, JustLoco wrote:
Yeah he's talking about packet killer
http://magicvault.net/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=69 for $43

But that's a bunch of packet tricks put together to form a deck...
[/quote]

Not quite. The contents of the Packet Killer Deck can be utilised in a variety of packet tricks, but there are several custom gaffs that can be implemented within standard deck routines. Some of the effects with these gaffs on the DVD really pack a punch, and I would not hesitate in recommending it.
Packet Killer is excellent, not only because the number of solid dime tested effects that you get, but because of Simon's unique, easy to digest teaching style. Very good stuff. As far as gaffed deck I definitely agree with Cardtoon
I like Ship Deck from J.B. Magic.
The Mirage deck is a Svengali deck you can spread face up to show the cards are all different.
Does that work similar to the way an invisible deck works?
Try my Jurassic Deck, where you have handwritten movietitles on the backs of the cards. After making a prediction of your favourite movie title (Jurassic Park) you let the spectator choose a card (no force) and it perfectly matches your prediction.

Not bad at first sight, but after all: when you turn the deck face down again all cards (including the card case) turned into a collectable deck of Jurassic Park to show that the spectator had really no free choice. A weird illusion and easy to perform.
Now since promoting self manufactured decks seems to be ok; take a look at my CardMaker Deck here: http://www.magicbycardmaker.com/pageID_5072752.html

A brilliant tool for the serious card worker!
Yes, the Mirage Deck has the same "mechanism" as the Invisible Deck.
Thanks guys lots of great info here.

Card-Shark do you have a video or photo of this deck?

also does anyone know what an electric deck is? Is it a joke shocking deck or something like that? If can't reveal here please PM me, I saw one on ebay for $2, I want to know what it is before I bid.
Split Deck and CardToon (as mentioned earlier) are both good. Also... Pop-Eyed Popper Deck, Mene Tekel Deck, Mirage Deck, Chimera Deck, Kaleidoscope Deck and Neo Deck.
Magiguy,
can you explain the effect (without revealing secrets) of those decks. Thanks.
Here is a Youtube video that shows the Jurassic Deck: http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=4zEw2ryC4O0
[quote]
On 2008-09-18 23:59, JustLoco wrote:
Magiguy,
can you explain the effect (without revealing secrets) of those decks. Thanks.
[/quote]

PM sent...
Wow that Jurassic deck is pretty cool. But $30 is a bit pricey for me. I'll have to wait a while to get it.
Get a "professional" invisible deck for $6 - 8 .... you'll be glad you did. I use mine all the time.

Jim
Jim what exactly is a "professional" invisible deck? I bought an invisible deck that is made from a bicycle deck for about $8.95. Is that one a professional deck?
I Just got Cardtoon and a rising deck. Great decks. Does anyone use a different method of selecting a card in Cardtoon than just to say name a card? If so can you please PM me your method. Thanks
[quote]On 2008-09-08 16:56, JustLoco wrote:
I was on ebay looking to buy a couple of gaffed decks but I'm not sure what deck I should get next. I have Brainwave, Invisible Deck, Svengali, Stripper.
Without revealing how they work, can anyone suggest some decks, and describe the effects.[/quote]
I'm biased because I love the stripper deck. There must be thousands of effects you can do with it along with all the ones you can do with an ungaffed deck, too.
At this point, you may benefit more by shelling out a few extra dollars for a DVD or book of basic card magic you can do with a REGULAR deck. From then on, the only question you'll have to ask is red or blue?
Good point,then after performing with regular decks, a simple switch for a "gaff card or deck" will totally fry them.
[quote]
On 2008-11-06 05:38, pepka wrote:
At this point, you may benefit more by shelling out a few extra dollars for a DVD or book of basic card magic you can do with a REGULAR deck. From then on, the only question you'll have to ask is red or blue?
[/quote]

It's more about starting a deck collection. I do great with a regular deck and have read and I am reading various books on cards. But this topic is on "Trick Decks" and which ones to collect. Thanks.
Ever considered 'The Lone Stranger'? Pretty good and you don't see it that often.

Frans
Phil Plus
My next deck will be the Monte Cristo deck.
Okay deck update... I just got a Cheek to cheek deck (which I love) and a "Deland's Automatic Playing Cards" deck (which I'm not too sure about yet) Anyone using that one let me know if it was a bad choice.
The Delands deck is really great if you riffle the deck and look at the backs.
Don't forget the popcorns!

Mikael Johansson
Sweden
[quote]
On 2008-09-10 21:45, Bryn Williams wrote:
As a "one trick" deck, I like Cardtoon.
[/quote]

cardtoon is brilliant. At first is wasn't so sure about the effectand then tried itout and it always goes down a storm with adults and kids alike! Also, the phil deck is ok but out the two cardtoon gets a much stronger surprise!
The Phil is good, but do use numbers instead of those names. Names are silly, numbers are much stronger. Say that you numbered the cards not 'aces of spades = 1, 2 of spades = 2, et cetera', but say that you numbered the cards in a subliminal / subconscious way that matches our Western way of thinking, that matches our psychology.
I'm thinking of buying the lone stranger, but I'm afraid it's only a simple variation of the mene tekel deck (which I make myself). Can someone tell me a bit more about the lone stranger? Could be in a pm.
It sounds like you and I are kind of on the same wavelength, JustLoco. I also like to collect and mess around with different gaffed decks. People can say what they will, but the decks are fun!

The Deland's deck is almost useless to perform with, I'd say. This is just my opinion. I actually like the deck because it's so marked and hacked up. But the main card markings on the back stick out like a sore thumb, the deck has been around for years and was included in a lot of magic sets from Adams from the past 50 years, so I think it's got a pretty high recognition rate, and while it supposedly has 11,000 marks; I think 10948 of those are meaningless once you shuffle the deck! I think it's a fun deck though, and I like to use it to mess around with what it can do, kind of like a 'practice deck' if you will.

Kind of on the same topic but not, what's the best source for stacks and learning to use them? I've got several books on card magic, but I haven't come across anything that specifically lists things like the Stebbins stack and what have you. If there's a book out there, I'd love to get it.
I just received The Lone Stranger. It looks great, I don't think it will let me down.
Check out the Card Cognition Deck. I use it and like it. Easy to do, fun to perform, can be repeated. http://www.trickshopmagic.com/cardcognition.html#customer-reviews