(Close Window)
Topic: Paper to print your own cards?
I'd like to print a set of cards to use with a single routine. They won't be standard playing card faces. I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for a good paper stock to use with a standard home ink jet printer. These don't have to be super-professional, but they do need to be shuffled and handled, and hopefully last for more than two performances before I need to print a new set!

Ed
You could try something like this:

http://www.beldecal.com/rubon-paper.html
Sorry if my question was confusing. I'm looking to see if anyone can recommend a type or weight of paper stock that will take the ink and hold up to a few performances without falling apart. Just some basic shuffles is all - nothing fancy.

Ed
Carducci's response was an excellent solution. Transfer the decals to blank face/back cards, and give a couple light coats of spray lacquer to seal them in.

It is also possible to print directly on blank cards, but the process is more exacting and time-consuming.
Well, if that's the best solution. I was hoping to be able to print directly onto card stock of some kind - that way I can change my design if I need to and only be out some paper. But then again, that's why I'm asking - I don't know what the best solution is.

I can get a double-blank deck for 10 bucks or less, so it's not that big of an investment. And "real" cards would probably handle and hold up better than most printable card stock paper.

So I stand corrected and grateful. Thank you both very much.

Ed
Ed:

http://www.plaincards.com sells laser-perfed card stock on letter-sized sheets, both coated and uncoated, either black both sides or black face only... Check out their site... they probably have just what you are looking for to print your own cards!

TED
Thank you, Ted!! Very nice!

Ed
Message: Posted by: cupsandballsmagic (Sep 24, 2008 09:34AM)
I am sure that the card collection used to do custom jobs onto bikes....
Message: Posted by: cupsandballsmagic (Sep 24, 2008 09:43AM)
I can't find anything on their website about it but I know they used to offer it in their printed catalogue... Maybe you could email them?
http://www.cards4magic.co.uk/
Bri
Message: Posted by: themagiciansapprentice (Sep 27, 2008 05:12AM)
I've been using A-4 heavy-weight photo-paper for tricks like these. Some have pop-outs, some need to be cut to size. Lasted for six plus shows so far.
Actually, I found a pack of Fantasma's blank-face/back Svengali cards in the dollar store. A pack of colored Sharpies will easily do my design (just a big colored circle) on the face. But I do really like the plaincards.com product.

Ed
I stumbled across this site that is based in Germany. Blanks as well as custom cards.

http://www.card-shark.de

Mike
And to run those blank cards through your printer, you will need something like rubber cement, or re-positionable tape, to fasten them onto a sheet that you will feed through the printer. After the ink dries, lift the card and rub off the RC.
Once you run a blank sheet of paper through, you know where you want the cards to be. fasten them onto the same sheet and run it thorough again.
k
You can also buy business card sized pre-perforated stuff at staples, I have used this for many custom cards, mentalism mostly, as they don't have the same size as playing cards.

John
I was hoping to print some of my own cards onto blank faced playing cards using an inkjet printer, but the cards already have a "gloss" to them and they are relectant to take the ink. Does anyone know a way to remove the gloss prior to printing.
I have tried very fine sand paper but it does not leave a very smooth surface. A liquid of some sort would be ideal - preferably one without a smell - or not highly flamable.;-)

Bob
You might try Cards by Martin. Neil Lester does many custom cards and his quality is very good.

http://www.cardsbymartin.com/store/
[quote]
On 2008-10-15 13:23, Box666 wrote:
I was hoping to print some of my own cards onto blank faced playing cards using an inkjet printer, but the cards already have a "gloss" to them and they are relectant to take the ink. Does anyone know a way to remove the gloss prior to printing.
I have tried very fine sand paper but it does not leave a very smooth surface. A liquid of some sort would be ideal - preferably one without a smell - or not highly flamable.;-)

Bob
[/quote]

Try #0000 steel wool instead. It will take the sheen off without roughing the card.
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100212006
The use of wire wool would work,but in some cases it has a rust inhibitor added during manufacturing.This can sometimes lead to unsightly discolouring of a white,or any light solid coloured surface after use.
If you have any pumice powder,this would work a treat.
Dab the tips of a natural bristle brush into the powder and brush the surface of the card,experimentation will lead you to how long you will need to do this.
This is a traditional way of dulling polished surfaces and would work in this instance.
In theory a powdered household abrasive cleaner would work,Ajax,Vim,etc.those are U.K. brand names,but I think you get the idea.
Cheers,Ray.
Get a deck of bicycle blank faced cards. Use acetate to dull the card face (blank) and follow the instructions on the dvd "Versatile Monte & Beyond." It give step by step instructions on how to make custom cards. It's the best money I ever spent in magic. Possibilities are endless. You end up with bicycle cards and custom faces all done on an ink jet printer. Good luck!!!
Another simple solution is to print your design on avery labels and just cover the face of a card. It isn't a long-lasting or slick-looking prop, but it works.

Also, you could print the faces on some regular printer paper and the back design on a second sheet. Cut the cards out and laminate them back-to-back. These last forever and can look pretty slick.

Thanks,
Richard
Using heavy stock paper, ensure you open the platens of the printer to prevent snagging of paper and resulting smudges(platens are the feeder rollers)

Use photo grade stock or...

when dry, use an aerosol dispensed lacquer paint. this helps seal the edges and adds to lasting ability of cards. do a couple of coats with light sanding each time to ensure a sheer gloss finish. Most lacquers are brittle in finish so talk to a paint dealer for a more flexible type. tell them the purpose is for protecting cards and wearability. they should point you in the right direction.

I have been known to water down lacquer with spirits and use an air brush too.

When laying out, I use MS WORD and the table function (with margins at extremes of printability minus 1 mm for safety. then by adjusting size of columns and rows can get excellent custom sizing of cards for my individual needs.

or use some of the ideas above.
I'm a cheapskate and love to do things myself if I can. Just a quirk of nature I think.
When I was Building the Dr Jaks effect years ago I used Photo paper placed the card face and the card back, Back to back and laminated them together. worked well
Use Krylon Workable Fixatif #1306 to put back the finish on the cards.
I'll second The Giz's suggestion about "Versitile Monte and Beyond". Those guys really did the work for making your own custom cards.