(Close Window)
Topic: The Mentalist is on right now
What's the skinny on this show? I'm tuning in. :)
I like it a lot.

Also don't forget Fringe tonight on Fox is about Mind Reading.
WOW ... Fringe?
You can watch Fringe for free at fox.com, in HD too!
Decent show.. kinda like Monk meets Psych meets CSI
I'm convinced! The show was great. All the questions. Makes you think. We just got cable so I watched Psyched for the first time last night. That was fun! :)
I think that I will like the Mentalist better than Psych. Iwiatched several episodes of Psych and its beginning to get rough on the mind to listen to his incessant chatter. To me it brought back thoughts of "The Ellery Queen Mystery Show" and some of the original Sherlock Holmes books. I still like Monk but I will also watch "The Mentalist"
I liked it a lot more than I've liked Fringe so far. The one thing that got annoying is what is done in many of these types of shows: the guy that has all the answers is always questioned as being wrong even though he keeps being right.

That's why I like Monk so much. It was the first time that the guy with all the answers was treated like he knew what he was doing.

I can see that this show is always going to have our Mentalist saying, "I think that guy did it because.." and everyone will turn and say, "How would you know?"... as if he didn't get it right hundreds of times before.

Other than that I liked it.

Greg
[b]******* it![/b] I forgot to record it before I left for work....

[b]Drats[/b]...looks alright...something to get me over missing 24, Dexter, and The Unit.

Bryn
Anyone know who the technical consultants are for this program?
As I said on another related string, the premise was pretty thin and it needs a better title. It'll be interesting to see how it does in the ratings.
It was on opposite of House. If it makes the reruns, I might try to catch it then. I did catch a little during the commercials, so it is a big, "If..."
I thoroughly enjoyed it. I never follow crime shows, but the mentalism angle made this very watchable for me (and it also held back on the high gore levels that seem to be the norm). On the whole it was done far better than I expected. I hope it does ok and doesn't fall prey to the peculiar tendency of US TV networks to axe a show after only a few episodes.
I liked the program, it made the lead character look falible & through some interesting insights that the lay audience may not pick up on.
Message: Posted by: Christopher Taylor (Sep 24, 2008 01:53PM)
As I watched, it really struck me how the protagonist is someone who used to pretend to be a psychic by using abilities so many of us pretend to have :D

Christopher
Also interesting how the writers/producers had the lead come right out and proclaim that 'there's no such thing as "a real psychic."' This runs contrary to commonly held beliefs, and more typical network treatments like 'The Medium.'
[quote]
On 2008-09-23 20:58, Psychic Samurai wrote:
What's the skinny on this show? I'm tuning in. :)
[/quote]

Dave you crack me up!!! AS IF!!!
Great question, tboehnlein. Anyone know?
I didn't care for his Randi-ish attitude toward psychics - "the are all either frauds, delusional or both". Sort of takes away an element of mystery.

Otherwise, I emjoyed the show.

Jim,

I had the opposite reaction. I liked his attitude toward psychics.

I appreciated the script and how he phrased things.

Bobby
I really liked the show! I thought it was well done. I liked seeing well known actors in it too, that sort of gave me the feeling that the network spent money on it and expects it to be a hit and stay around, so that was nice. I plan to see it every week.
[quote]
On 2008-09-25 04:42, Sorceress wrote:
I really liked the show! I thought it was well done. I liked seeing well known actors in it too, that sort of gave me the feeling that the network spent money on it and expects it to be a hit and stay around, so that was nice. I plan to see it every week.
[/quote]

So was the show I had a reocurring role called, "BIG APPLE", starring Ed O'Neil. Lots of name actors, but the President of CBS had it doomed to fail from the start...
Well it got good ratings, so it looks like it should get a decent shot.

I watched it and really enjoyed it as well.
Yes, the Mentalist takes a stand -- there are no psychics, no afterlife, no god -- a bold revelation for something on network TV (especially CBS). BUT then we learn that he is haunted, his wife and child were brutally murdered, he blames himself, and punishes himself for it by sleeping under the blood of his family. Boy, who could blame him for being cynical?

I enjoyed the show, not the ending, a little ham-fisted sandwich covered in a bit too much cheese. But for a pilot, not bad at all. I hope they take the edgier path as opposed to the more common and predictable Velveeta route.
[quote]
On 2008-09-25 13:33, Mr. Mindbender wrote:
Yes, the Mentalist takes a stand -- there are no psychics, no afterlife, no god -- a bold revelation for something on network TV (especially CBS). BUT then we learn that he is haunted, his wife and child were brutally murdered, he blames himself, and punishes himself for it by sleeping under the blood of his family. Boy, who could blame him for being cynical?

I enjoyed the show, not the ending, a little ham-fisted sandwich covered in a bit too much cheese. But for a pilot, not bad at all. I hope they take the edgier path as opposed to the more common and predictable Velveeta route.
[/quote]

I don't believe he is an atheist but just angry and saddened by his family getting murdered. I hope he finds the bloody artist.
Everyone makes good points! I do hope the show evolves and I'm sure it will. I "missed" an email to talk about the show on a radio program, but I will be in a better position to understand it now.
There seems to be quite a few avenues to explore. Some are believers. He's not. He "acts" like he is (Maybe just Superstitious, but that is ALSO a belief isn't it?).
There's a Psychic Believer but I don't remember a "Christian" character as of yet.
Since it will shape the meaning of what we do in the public eye it is a good thing to check it out.
Thanks for the help.
Dave
Someone should list a topic called, "I'm On TV" so we can see you when you are in a show!

Anyone know what the ratings are for The Mentalist.
It opened strong...

I look forward to seeing the characters evolving.
A police detective as well a mentalist. Hmmmmmm, wheels are turning. :cool:
Look out San Antonio! :)
[quote]
On 2008-10-03 16:50, lostpoet wrote:
Look out San Antonio! :)
[/quote]
LOL...!
[quote]
On 2008-09-24 00:57, Greg Arce wrote:
I liked it a lot more than I've liked Fringe so far. The one thing that got annoying is what is done in many of these types of shows: the guy that has all the answers is always questioned as being wrong even though he keeps being right.

That's why I like Monk so much. It was the first time that the guy with all the answers was treated like he knew what he was doing.

I can see that this show is always going to have our Mentalist saying, "I think that guy did it because.." and everyone will turn and say, "How would you know?"... as if he didn't get it right hundreds of times before.

Other than that I liked it.

Greg
[/quote]
Greg well said. I like the premise of the series but it suffers some flaws in execution. I find the female lead annoying; she seems to be the antagonist in the series. She is constantly chastising and second guessing the protagonist generally turns out to be correct. If this continues to be the case the series will end quickly for me.
Spectators tell me they love the series. This is very good for business.
I love this show. Cool little things that educate the public "Just Enough!"
Have not seen it yet. It is opposite Fringe, no debate there. :)
Great Show... last episode was perfect. Cardcounting, pokercheating, cold reading. loved it.
Oh I love this show so far. Interesting angle of insights of self-confessed ex-psychic yet still with Sherlockian special ability, still in the classic 'superdetective' genre. I hope they don't go the route of discovering he really is psychic after all. Also, I wonder if a few more of Joe Public will come to know what a Mentalist may be from it?
MT.
Anyone any insight as to who the consultants for the show may be.
I know there was at least one consultant from the Café.

Andy
Densemann & Mindtrap,

Yes, Tuesday's (Nov. 11) episode was very entertaining. Simon Baker seems to be playing his part perfectly.

I look forward to this show every week.
Finally caught the 11/11 episode. Very well done. Probably the best of the season so far.
How do we find out how many people are watching this?
THE MENTALIST, CBS, 16,516,000 viewers on 11 November 2008, number 3 in time slot
Just below Dancing with the Stars.

http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/tag/the-mentalist/
That good isn't it?
So CBS has two shows in the same time slot?
[quote]16,516,000 viewers on 11 November 2008[/quote]

plus one viewer in germany. thank you internet!
[quote]
On 2008-11-17 04:51, Densemann wrote:
[quote]16,516,000 viewers on 11 November 2008[/quote]

plus one viewer in germany. thank you internet!
[/quote]

Yes, and in the uk :)

And before anyone starts moaning I will be buying the boxset when it's available.

Andy
Best show ever this time IMHO.
His character was subtly dis-shelved the entire episode. His eyes seemed slightly reddened. Quite a change from the cocky Mentalist :)
The bit at the end was a little odd though...Are we to believe that she deduced that information?

Barney
[quote]
On 2008-11-18 23:02, barneyfife wrote:
The bit at the end was a little odd though...Are we to believe that she deduced that information?

Barney
[/quote]

Don't ruin it guys! I'm watching it right now. Fortunately the Fringe puts it past shows on the net.
[quote]

Barney
[/quote]

I think that type of information is very common. Pretending to be a psychic (in my experience) you have to basically put yourself in the persons position. Now, I do not claim to be a psychic, but if I am giving a demonstration of how psychics work...this is a very good mindset to be in. Put yourself in their shoes.

Now, back to the subject at hand. If you were a parent and your wife and child were murdered wouldn't you hope and wish that it wasn't painful or frightening for them?

To deduce that he would be thinking this question isn't to much of a stretch. You would have to expect that he thinks about it all the time and probably has MANY more questions and worries than that one. She probably just thought that question would be the most sure-fire. At least the writers thought so ;).

Matthew Mello
[quote]

Barney
[/quote]

Uhmm, what episode?

I cant place it...Hehe...

Alel
Episode 7 - Great Show! Clash of the Titans: Psychic vs. Mentalist. Maybe we will see her again ... maybe in the next season.
She was a great character and a good balance for the mentalist.
She seemed caring and sensual with a blatant confession of causal involvements.
She must have been IN ON IT at the seance'. So she seems cooperative.

If she was being deceptive she would seemingly Run Like Hell from someone who could expose her.
But she didn't.
So her ego must be even larger than his, or she is "Interested" in the mentalist for other reasons :)
Maybe she has the GIFT!
Love her. Great character!
[quote]
On 2008-11-13 13:49, tboehnlein wrote:
Anyone any insight as to who the consultants for the show may be.
[/quote]

Gerry McCambridge
[quote]
On 2008-11-19 09:57, Densemann wrote:
Maybe she has the GIFT!
Love her. Great character!
[/quote]

I'm not sure who she is but she reminds me of that female BORG Leader in a weird way.
This one looks GREAT!!!!!!
In addition, the public is learning the term "Mentalist" and what they're supposed to be able to do, it's a great show done in good taste.
How much 'exposure' goes on in the show, if any? I don't know because I don't watch it. I've heard that simple 'techniques' and plenty of cold reading lines and mentalist's ploys are involved in some episodes.

16 million (+) people is A LOT of folks to share your precious cold reading lines with, LMAO!!! It seems the show has staying power, so how long do you think it will be before they start tipping things like CT's, Imp devices, swami's, OA stuff, etc?

Maybe this is not even what the show is about, I need to see it I guess. Until then I remain 'curious.'

-J
I haven't seen any exposure at all. It's on here right now.
[quote]
On 2008-11-25 21:54, TT2 wrote:
How much 'exposure' goes on in the show, if any? I don't know because I don't watch it. I've heard that simple 'techniques' and plenty of cold reading lines and mentalist's ploys are involved in some episodes.

16 million (+) people is A LOT of folks to share your precious cold reading lines with, LMAO!!! It seems the show has staying power, so how long do you think it will be before they start tipping things like CT's, Imp devices, swami's, OA stuff, etc?

Maybe this is not even what the show is about, I need to see it I guess. Until then I remain 'curious.'

-J
[/quote]

They reveal very little. I think that at this point you would be pleased. Very subtle and extremely effective.
I hope they expose little or nothing. As you know, I am a Mad Man when it comes to exposure. In one episode a toothpick moved across the table ... One of the detectives says "He's blowing on it." That's as bad as it has gotten. Tonight was a spoon fork and toothpick illusion ... not explained.
I saw it tonight, and thought it was pretty entertaining. Off the top of my head, I do not recall any exposure.
Check this out http://tv.yahoo.com/the-mentalist/show/43011/news/urn:newsml:tv.ap.org:20081210:nielsens__ER:44488
WOW ... And it was a rerun already! What's up with that?
I wanted a new episode :)
Simon finally has a hit! Good for him and good for mentalism (now people has some kind of frame of reference when you talk about mentalism).
I agree. Lot's of people watching and it's not too over the top :)

The cool part was he played ROSHAMBO in one of the episodes!

Nice tie in for my live and radio performances :)
[quote]
On 2008-12-10 17:17, Psychic Samurai wrote:
WOW ... And it was a rerun already! What's up with that?
I wanted a new episode :)
[/quote]

Yeah, unsure why a rerun already.
I would guess that the show they ran last night had very poor ratings and they wanted to reexpose it once they got the spike in ratings rather than burn a new show, now they are at least one more week out before they officially go into 'reruns'.

This also means the DVD set of season one will be out about a week after the final show airs.
Thanks Bitterman. How many episodes makes a season then?
These days a lot of shows get away with just 12. I think The Mentalist actually has 14 shows in the can for this season.
Message: Posted by: Cholly, by golly! (Dec 10, 2008 09:45PM)
It's a smart show if a little formulaic.

Simon Baker's a hoot!
Has anyone heard if there will be a 2nd season of the show? It seems to me that they have left a lot open to explore on the red killer thread...
With those ratings I would guess so. CBS/VIACOM have very little going for them these days.
I love this show!!!!!

I'm ready for the races :)
I could not pay for better advertisement, especially in these "lean" world economic times. Thanks Simon. :kewl:
Well, we had another re-run last week so I'm losing steam on this. If it's a re-run tonight I won't be keeping my schedule open at 8PM on Tuesdays anymore.

Is there a way to see if it's a re-run ahead of time? I don't watch much TV.

Thanks
Dave
Wikipedia has a list of when new episodes air.
I can't even find it on the schedule for tonight. Rats!
Thanks for the information. Seems it won't be on again until the sixth.
That's all the episodes then?
Channels?
This helps a little. It appears that there are going to be 14 episodes.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1196946/episodes
My personal feeling is that this erratic schedule will hurt this show.
If not for the information provided here I would not have tuned in next week. I actually hope I remember to now! :)
It's ok.

It's no Journeyman though. I thought that was a much better mentalism show.

D
As a VIACOM A stock holder it has been very sad to watch CBS run itself into the ground over the past few years. The Mentalist is just the latest victim. One week after it's the number one show in the country they bump the time on the east coast by an hour and then pull it all together on Christmas week. Sad, very sad.
I'm getting a vision......
a scene cut from latest episode...
many colours, organised?

Eureka!

Its Jane solving a rubik's cube that Kendall was struggling with, I wonder if it was done blindfolded.
You must be Psychic ... Oh that's right ... There aren't any Psychics :)

Seems like CBS or the powers that be are trying to sabotage this show!
The programming has been fairly erratic here in Australia too. We had about seven episodes played, and then it stopped for the non ratings season (just before Xmas to late January), and last week they started it up again, starting from episode four. Hopefully they'll continue to play the repeats in order and then just run straight into the episodes we haven't seen once the ratings period starts again.

Cheers,

Chris
[quote]
On 2009-01-05 19:28, Psychic Samurai wrote:
You must be Psychic ... Oh that's right ... There aren't any Psychics :)

Seems like CBS or the powers that be are trying to sabotage this show!
[/quote]

How about a TV show called: PsyChick

Also whose been trigger happy to move this off the penny forums
"If I tell you how it's done, the Magic Circle will send a team of assassins to kill us all. It's the law."
-- Patrick Jane, The Mentalist

That line about the Magic Circle was AWSOME!!!!!
For once we agree :)
FYI--there was a story in today's Daily Variety that declared "The Mentalist" was the only unqualified hit among the new shows of the '08/'09 season.
They moved THE MENTALIST off of the Mentalism Forum? WOW :)
New episode was on last night. Part of what has been going on lately is that a number of their shows have been rerun as fodder against bowl games and other holiday type fare so that they blow against the "specials".
I believe I know who they want us to think RED JOHN is!!!!!! :)
Sumner Redstone, head of VIACOM/CBS?

Of course I kid because I care. I believe, but don't know for a fact, that Red John got a little sand in his shoes last night.
Another show starting soon with a psychological people reading theme:
http://www.fox.com/lietome/
RED RUM .... The Shining has been on all week!!!!!
Nice tie in :) .... ?
New episode Sunday 1/18 after the Ravens/Steelers game
Good Show! Good game ...SUPERBOWL !!!!!!!!
The ghosts predict the score :)
No dog in the hunt, but I'd have to say 31 - 13 Steelers.

And don't forget The Mentalist is on at 10:00 this tuesday night as well. This'll give you an idea of how well The Mentalist is doing, Fox moved House to monday nights to get out of it's way.
But it used to be opposite Fringe, not House. And I have not missed one Fringe, great show! I've only seen about 10 minutes of the Mentalist so far, no real interest to see more.

Tony
I stand corrected. House is running from NICS, The Mentalist's lead in.

Last night's episode was pretty well written (with one gaping plot hole, but hey its TV) and you should give it a try Tony, the show doesn't take itself seriously at all and many of the lead characters aren't American but pull off great accents. *** you NAFTA!
Actually "House" is kindly lending its time slot to some show called "American Idol", as it usually does this time of year.
It's on again tomorrow? Great! I'll be there. I didn't see much "Mentalism" stuff on this last one. Usually there is some kind of reference to something we all know :)
Unfortunately, a repeat this Tuesday. …and next Tuesday, and the Tuesday after that.
RATSSSS!!!
I watched the first 2 episodes of The Mentalist but could not get into it. Then I noticed how it keeps landing in the top 10 weekly ratings so I watched it again last night. It still didn't do it for me. The pattern is the same - - throw a bunch of red herrings your way, while some character they try not to have you suspect is the culprit. I guessed the daughter right away partly because the writers go out of their way trying not to have you suspect her and to have you suspect the "obvious" people!! Clearly, I am in the minority in not liking this show, which I still think is mis-named - - it should be "The Observationalist" or something.
I came to the series late so I didn't know until last night's rerun that he was a 'talker to the dead' before the family murders. I found it very interesting and love the way they ended with the message from the wife.
Did anyone catch Jayne using the Ball & Tube for the hypnosis induction on last's night's show?

Woodfield
I missed it!!!!
Will that be the last new episode this season? I'll try to look later if no ones knows.
I don't know much about the Ball and Tube being used in Inductions. Is that common or was it used as a "Shiny object" or something?
The show seems to be doing well. I like it!