(Close Window)
Topic: EXile
Although not out yet, I was alerted to this by those in the U.S who saw the David Blaine special, checked it out on T11 due for release 10.10.08, put my preorder in already, looks like a proper killer although I think I've twigged how its done. I'll be sitting watching the post box from the 15.10.08 waiting like a little kid!

Anyone else going for this?
http://www.theory11.com/tricks/exile.php
...Seemed a bit obvious, the marks from the coin (pressed into palm with thumb) didn't really match the ones drawn at the start.

[b]GS[/b]
Don't think lay people will realise the size of the x's, also theres no x's to compare it to

have a feeling this will kill if you have any creativity
Is this similar to the doodle pen sold by Murpheys and astonishment project?
I wanted to ask this too.
Does it come with gimmick quarter?
Yes, it is similar to the Doodle pen but not quite the same. I don't see why this effect shouldn't kill for laypeople, you can use other small shapes instead of the X's.
Just wanted to clarify. The Magic Doodle Pen was NOT the effect used in the "Dive of Death" special.

Mathieu Bich conceived and created eXile alongside the DB crew - and that exact effect was performed by Blaine on the special. eXile includes every piece needed to learn and perform the effect.
And you can use it with any coin of any currency
I am interested in this effect, but just want to clarify that at the end the spectator can easily wipe clean the 'x' (or whatever you choose to use). I am assuming this is so, because I don't want to end up leaving ink stains on my spectators palms... I have never seen the doodle pen.
Well you don't want it to wipe off to easily or it may seem fishy, maybe carry some wet wipes with you, I'm sure a good scrub would work
[quote]
On 2008-09-28 07:40, shield wrote:
I am interested in this effect, but just want to clarify that at the end the spectator can easily wipe clean the 'x' (or whatever you choose to use). I am assuming this is so, because I don't want to end up leaving ink stains on my spectators palms... I have never seen the doodle pen.
[/quote]

I think you're missing the point somewhat; the marks should be of the 'permanent' type. Just ask at the outset "...I'm going to draw some marks on your palm, in permanent ink, is that OK...?"

And for those of you who [i]always[/i] like to give away a souvenir (jeeeeez) hand them a small scrubbing brush...

[b]GS[/b]
I think it's a neat effect. Can someone assure me it's more than the ashes on the palm trick but with the coin doing the dirty work?
Nice!
I preordered this also. Lay audiences love ink transfer affects, now imagine an ink transfer effect on someone's hands. They'll be starting at their hands the whole night! After seeing this done on the DB special, I really liked it, but I never thought it would be marketed so quickly. Very much looking forward to this, looks like a winner.
I did enjoy watching this on the Blaine Special just waiting for reviews before I order.
Don't think you need to wait on reviews to be honest, what you see is what you get, obviously to us the method isn't that hard, but once you have borrowed a quarter, done a false transfer and placed it on there hand does that make it seem more believable, as soon as that coin is lifted you have 5 seconds of misdirection to switch coins again, if you cant do a coin switch in 5 seconds this trick isn't for you
My question is, the picking up of the x's in eXile does it use the magic doodle pen? Cos I don't want to buy the same thing. I would go with eXile, for the presentation, and the coin bit and then go crazy with brainstorming other ideas.

Anyone knows?
No its not the magic doodle pen apparently, similar though
Can you adapt any coin, or does a special quater come wth it?
I want to use uk 10ps
In the faq you they siad you can use any coin. I would want to use a borrowed coin and then... you know what...
All I know is that I've been asked about this effect by a lot of different people since the special aired. I thought it was cool when I first saw the special, but based off the amount of questions I've been getting, I think it's going to be well worth it.
I'm really looking forward to getting this one!
Go from this to QB2.
QB what??
QB
Quantum Bender 2 I guess :)
Regards
Simon
Any major differences with this item and the doodle pen?
I don't have either.
How hard must you mash the quarter into the spectator's hand? Like a full bodied vice press, or just a slight push?
Slight push
I like it but IMHO the special pen should be disguised as a Sharpie.
[quote]
On 2008-09-28 15:53, MagicBrent wrote:
I think it's a neat effect. Can someone assure me it's more than the ashes on the palm trick but with the coin doing the dirty work?
[/quote]
that's what it looks like to me but why would it matter? Do you expect it to be real magic?
I'm kinda wondering if this can be done using other currencies.
[quote]
On 2008-09-30 21:54, Mr Roy wrote:
I'm kinda wondering if this can be done using other currencies.
[/quote]
According to a thread at Theory 11 you can use any coin you like. I think it comes with the needed things to gimmick any coin you like.
[quote]
On 2008-09-30 15:34, Silvio Solaris wrote:
I like it but IMHO the special pen should be disguised as a Sharpie.
[/quote]

I was thinking the EXACT same thing.
[quote]
On 2008-09-30 12:26, Jsmith45 wrote:
Any major differences with this item and the doodle pen?
I don't have either.
[/quote]

Just look a couple of threads up from your post man.
I would imagine this could be done from one hand to another, rather than just on one hand.

If so, I have plenty of ideas for this. I am looking forward to getting it.
Can anybody confirm that the marks left on the spectater's hand are indeed permanant? It seems to me the effect would be useless if they could wipe the transposed marks off their hand. Anyone have some insight?
Thanks
I just want the pen!
I just ordered this today. I am really enjoying the possibilities with this one. Can't wait to get it! I feel like a kid in the candy store!
This seems to me to be a lot like Stampead put out by Rocco and D-lite with a wipe off twist -- HUMM PRETTY NEAT IDEA MIGHT JUST GET IT.
Has my interest for sure.
Man, I checked out t11, and it's sold out before it's even released!
Hopefully T11 will replenish the stock so that I can use this for the holidays - unfortunately not this Halloween Saint...
I sure hope we get these this week. I heard they were shipped on friday. :) Really looking forward to this!
What's up with it being sold out?
I'm waiting for mine to arrive as well. :)
I ordered from MJM a few weeks ago. No word from them yet.
Mine is scheduled to arrive tomorrow =)
[quote]
On 2008-10-19 18:57, palmtreemagic! wrote:
Mine is scheduled to arrive tomorrow =)
[/quote]

Let us know what you think when you use it!
Look I don't know the method or anything like that but if it is what I think then the first thing I thought when I saw this was X-pert. so I might need to get another one of those.
Anyone receive theirs yet?
Blueroyalty posted a review under Tricks & Effects!
I received mine also

The DVD was very short, only 16 minutes long and one performance. The instructions were kind of rushed but also pretty clear. I did have to rewind a few times. The effect itself is very practical and I will try this out after I get the presentation down well. You really only need a quarter, a pen, and a little something else for this effect to work and will obviously not take up a lot of pocket room. The bonus effect is also pretty good.

I didn't really care about the short DVD, but the one thing that did annoy me was the special gimmick supplied was different than the one Daniel White used in the video and the gimmick supplied is far less usable. It probably only costs a few bucks in the store for the gimmick that Daniel White uses, but it's still annoying to be supplied a cheap gimmick. Besides that, everything else that was supplied was quality and should last hundreds of performances.

however, if you liked the effect on David Blaine's special, I would get this. 9.5/10 for the effect, 8/10 for the packaging and DVD
[quote]
On 2008-10-19 16:36, MSD921 wrote:
I ordered from MJM a few weeks ago. No word from them yet.
[/quote]

Just as an update, MJM was one of the first to order these, and like all dealers, we were told by Theory 11 that they would ship around the 10th of October.

However, due to a delay on their end, this preorder date got pushed back. We informed all of our customers about it via email, but since I wasn't aware that this was posted here, I will copy below the exact response from Theory 11 as it was given to us a few weeks ago:

[i]"Today has been a crazy hectic day all around here at theory11. In simplest form, we have bad news to report. I'll start with the bad news. Both Mathieu Bich and I have been on the phone and generating a flurry of emails all day with the supplier of one of the key components of eXile. The package of supplies was supposed to arrive in our warehouse yesterday, but it did not show up. After countless phone calls and emails over the past 24 hours, we found out that the package has not yet been shipped from France by the supplier - and would not be shipped until Monday.

We screamed, yelled, and kicked, but we were told there was nothing we could do to expedite the process any further. Both Mathieu Bich and I personally worked on trying to speed this up all throughout the night (literally - because of the time zones), but our efforts were fruitless. We tried our best, but it appears that it will be one extra week before shipping. Using inferior quality materials was not an option for us, as the materials provided with eXile are the exact materials used by DB on the special - we refused to settle for anything less.

If we can do anything at all to expedite the process any further - we will continue pushing, and we have already arranged for the fastest shipping option humanly possible from France to our warehouse."[/i]

That being said, the good news is that our first batch already shipped out to us on the 21st, and should be arriving (and shipping to our customers) any day now. We've also sold out of that first large preorder batch, and we're currently waiting for the second batch to ship, so anyone who happens to preorder this with us now will still be on that second round of DVD's which will hopefully be shipping out to us next week.

Hope that clears things up for the MJM customers on this board. You're always welcome to contact us through our site if you have further questions.
I got mine in the mail yesterday. I like the effect. It took me a few minutes to get the pen put together w/ the ink cartridge. Initially it got stuck in the bottom of the pen. It took forever to get it out. Anyway, I was shocked to see what the special props were to help make the ink vanish. I used to play with this stuff when I was a kid! I won't expose what it is though. Very cool concept. I just wish I thought of it!
Brian
Maybe Dan should let us know what kind of pen should we get after used up the supply attached with the DVD... which he did not mentioned inside DVD contents.
Excellent question!
Hopefully something where the ink isn't PURPLE. Its just like the magic doodle pen. In my opinion black ink would be much less suspicious then purple ink on a spectator's hand. But maybe I'm just paranoid.
It is different then the magic doodle pen. The ink is blue and doesn't erase the same way that the magic doodle pen does.
What if you did the routine with the x's ending up on the coin. I mean instead of the final 3 x's on their palm, they turn the coin over and see them on the coin. You could borrow a coin and switch it for the x coin. It would be way easier than handling the gimmicked coin. But would the reactions be as strong?
[quote]
On 2008-10-30 23:08, Steven Leung wrote:
Maybe Dan should let us know what kind of pen should we get after used up the supply attached with the DVD... which he did not mentioned inside DVD contents.
[/quote]

[quote]
On 2008-10-31 23:31, daffydoug wrote:
Excellent question!
[/quote]

Use any pen that uses Fountain Pen Ink (Google search). You may like to try out Pilot V5/ V7 Roller Ball Pen. These pens come with different color inks. The color of the ink is irrelevant - Its your choice. The Pilot V5 will cost you about $1.50.
http://www.pencity.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/Pilot/PreciseRollerball.htm?L+scstore+jodo9254+1225745213

Hope this helps!

:xmas:
[quote]
On 2008-11-03 09:41, Ustaad wrote:
[quote]
On 2008-10-30 23:08, Steven Leung wrote:
[/quote]

[quote]
On 2008-10-31 23:31, daffydoug wrote:
Excellent question!
[/quote]

Use any pen that uses Fountain Pen Ink (Google search). You may like to try out Pilot V5/ V7 Roller Ball Pen. These pens come with different color inks. The color of the ink is irrelevant - Its your choice. The Pilot V5 will cost you about $1.50.
http://www.pencity.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/Pilot/PreciseRollerball.htm?L+scstore+jodo9254+1225745213

Hope this helps!

[/quote]

that does help, but the "other thing" isn't mentioned either. it really makes me Irrate then I "pay for the secret" but its never given. Ustaad, at least that half of it helps
Here is one such Fountain Pen Ink that you can use.

Quink Washable Fountain Pen Ink, Blue Ink, 2 Ounce Bottle

http://www.amazon.com/Quink-Washable-Fountain-Bottle-PAR30061/dp/B0016OTAIM/ref=pd_sbs_op_18

Use with any cheap fountain pen.

I received this today and I can't believe what I got. You have to make your own props.

I thought it would come pre-made with everything included. :hmmm: What was I thinking??!! :rotf: