(Close Window)
Topic: Say the Magic Words
I was wondering what everyone uses as their 'magic words'. "Hocus Pocus", "Allakhazam", and "Abracadabra" are a little too common. Does anyone here have any magic words that might get a laugh? (I heard a magician once say "Ok everyone, on the count of three say "Fuzzy Pickles" )
On page 145 of "Kidbiz," a chapter on un-ordinary magic words begin. Liver Jello, Ish Key Bibble, and Purple Puppy Chow are a few examples on what you're likely to find.

I believe that the a list of funny magic words is also available in Ginn's "Clown Magic" book.

-Andini :coolspot:
You could always ask the children to repeat:
"Fessenhaffer Hasenfeffer Bellybutton Engledink Humpleburt"...
Mine is HIGGLEDY PIGGLEDY, Don't ask me why I use that in particular, I just didn't want to use the normal boring ones. Getting them to Shout ABRACADABRA seemed to me that I was using someone elses magic, and it looked to me like I lacked imagination.
I have tried a few different magic words but have found what ever you use it pays to stick with it. I have found if I change the word part way through a show you can forget having any group consensuses on what the word is. I used to have trouble with some kids yelling ABRACADABRA & others yelling IZZZY WIZZY.
HI,
I use the words "WIGGLY WOGGLY"
it gets a giggle "I shout wiggly the kids shout woggly.
Phillip
Supreme Magic, or maybe when it became Edwin's Magic Arts (was it called?) prior to the great man's death made an excellent hardback large visual book called "Magic Programme" for use on shows. This contains a whole page of highly visual spells so the kids can choose. It also has pop ups of a magician in a top hat, white rabbit, clown etc. You open another page and it says THE END, - open a fold on THE END and a huge GOODBYE sign drops down. We bought two of these and with a bit of varnish and tlc hope they will last forever!

Hey, you can see one on the photo, stood in front of the blue roll-on table on the floor.
At the start of my act I ask the kids if they know any magic words, this does 2 things,
1) it shows then they are included in the show.
2) what other magicians they've seen.
IZZ BIZZ BILLY WHIZZ = Billy Whizz
WHATSUUUUUP = Chris Wish, Occassionally he uses IZZY WIZZY LETS GET BUSY.
IGGLY WIGGLY WOO = Mark Cheetham
123 POOF or PIFF PAFF POOF= Terry Collins
WIGGLE YOUR FINGERS WIGGLE YOUR THUMBS THAT'S THE WAY THE MAGIC COMES = Chaz
WISHY WASHY WASHY WISH = David Holloway

If they say ABRACADABRA Then i get to use the old 'AVE A BANANA! gag.

If they say PLEASE I say well done that's the most powereful magic word in the world, but it only works once unless you use it's sister which is? (Hands goes up) THANK YOU.

Sometimes they'll just make up a word, often something that doesn't sound in any way or form like a magic word. What ever they say I say good one well done, If they put there hand up and when I go to them they say I'VE FORGOTTEN, then I say I don't think that's a word, lets try it on the count of 3 everyone say I've forgotten. 123, naaa that's not magic. (This of course is done in a way that the kid can laugh with the joke and not get upset that I'm taking the micky.

All in all just the magic word can be used for a good bit of audience participation to start the show.
My magic words depends on what the show is about. If it is Kim's birthday, the magic word is, "Happy Birthday Kim." Inside of a church is "I love Jesus." A school inspirational show is "I love myself, I love myself, I love myself." An Easter show is "Happy Easter." One day in a hall for adults who had heart problems the magic word was "Bless your heart." I get no complaints from anyone for using words like that. And I like when kids memorize me from a school. I ask them what's the magic word?, most of them can remember it.
In my city Kids used to say Abracadabra.
I say:Mai currutai...Mai currutai.which by the way, this magic words start with my magician name.

The funny thing about this words is when other magicians in town ask the kids to say some magic words waiting to hear some classic words and instead they reply:

Mai currutai Mai currutai.

Mago Mai
Great suggestions, and I think those are some great ideas Emazdad, think I will try the idea of asking them what they have heard before. Maybe combine some of them into a 'new word' that sounds funny and they helped make up.
Watch out for the funny ones, I had a 4 year old girl the other month who after hearing someone say Smelly Socks, made her own magic word up that rhymed with smelly socks and proudly shouted Smelly Cocks. She didn't mean anything rude it was all totally innocent. If this happens don't make anything of it just try and carry on even if you are bursting to laugh.
Often the magic words I use are themed around the performing circumstances (example Happy Birthday Ryan!). I like asking the kids if they know of any magic words, and when someone says Abracadabra, I mispronounce it saying "Have a bananna." The kids have a hoot trying to correct me.
HI,
I must say that I think that I would lose bookings if I kept using a different magic word, Many people say you are the person who says "Wiggly Woggly" arn't you... Oh good I have the right one then.
Phillip
Hi Phil,
I get the same with Higgledy Piggledy, Everyone knows it's my magic word.
Nigel talks about going to Pizza Street and taking some pizza home on his shirt.

He then ask me if I know what his mom's favorite magic word is.

After I say,No what is it.

Nigel Replies: Spray and Wash. (for those out of the USA insert your version of Special Stain Remover for Laundry.

At library programs it is of course Library Card.

During my Magic of Choices program it is Choices.

When I was younger I used to use things like
Chocolate or other food names.

Harris
When asking an individual helper or spectator what the magic word is, they nearly always start by saying erm..., i junp in at this point and try to get all the kiddies to shout this strange magic word ...erm!
You will also find that this word comes up whenever you ask your helper questions such as there favourite colour, animal, age etc. This therefore can become a bit of a runnig gag.
I usually use "I like toasted frogs with jam!"

Brian
There are so many of them out there and so many that I use. Sometimes I just adlib and go from there. A great way to have fun with a magic word is to actually let the kids create and invent one. What you do is say that you forgot the magic words for today and you really need some help. You know the first word is a color. Kids name a color. The second word is an animal. You have them name an animal and the thrid word of the magic word you recall was a food. You put them together and it is always funny, always different and ALWAYS makes the kids laugh. Nothing is funnier to kids then when they all shout out "Red Monkey Jello" and the magic happens from a word they created. Try it and have a lot of fun with it.
Mine (for kids shows) is Itty Bitty Bacon Bits!
how about Razzle Dazzle root beer? or have them say ahblla halla salle gryz!
Message: Posted by: AragorntheMagician (Aug 19, 2003 08:32AM)
For my kid shows I ask if they know any magic words...and get the usual in reply (ie-Hocus Pocus, Abracadabra, etc.). I explain that magic words run out of power for Magicians after too much use and that I've been using Magic for a long time and have used up the really cool words and so the word I have to use this week is...."Guacamole!!!".
Yours,
ATM
aka: Bob :firedevil:
Another great classic is when the children shout "Abracadabra" you look confused and say back.. what? have a banana? Those are silly magic words, but if you insist. Then take out a zipper banana. It gets a laugh and the kids seem to really enjoy it. it's an oldy but a goodie.
At a family reunion show I did a couple weeks ago, there were about 12 kids, and 60 adults. For one effect, I brought up the oldest child (10 years old). This girl tended to spend more time with the adults during the weekend, than with the other kids.

When I finally asked her for the magic word, she shouted out "Underwear!" I said, "Methinks you're spending too much time with adults around here!" It made for a great laugh among all the adults. As Art Linkletter used to say, "Kids say the darndest things!"

Brian
I ask the child what the magic words are, starting them off with ABRACA....

They all scream "DABRA!"

I get all upset and say 'nononono! the magic words are abracaDIDDLE. This always gets a good laugh and lots of arguments from the more serious kids.

At the end of the show if a child is SCREAMING for a balloon rudely I will always say. "What's the magic word?" to which they always reply: "Please". I get upset agains and say "Haven't I taught you anything! Its ABRACADIDDLE!"
That's funny my Mom always told me the magic word was PLEASE.
:sun:
No one ever pulled a rabbit out of hat by saying please.
Nicholas:
That is so true. I find there are better ways to add in lessons to a show. I like to leave the magical words as a funny element in the performance. It gets the kids involved and creates more interaction and laughter.
Use current kid slang.

It could be

Bom Diggity
Boo Yah
For Rizzle
Off The Heezee
I really like the idea of letting the kids pick the magic word for the day. That's what I did for my first birthday show. I let the birthday girl pick a magic word and she picked "hokey pokey," which really made her feel special. Kyle's suggestion for a formula to help the children pick a word is a good one.

But I also like the idea of having a signature magic word, which I hadn't really thought about before reading this post. I wonder if there is a way to combine both ideas. For example, having a signature first word and letting the kids pick the second word.
Hockey:
Thanks so much for the kind words. It has just been a fun thing for me that I have tried in my past shows and has worked quite well for me.

It gets the children involved in another format and the words are always funny and unique. Also, because the children came up with the magic word, they want to use it and feel special when the magic happens because of a word they created by themselves.

I do not think there is any real formula for what words you should use. I would try some things and see what reactions you get from them. Use a word that fits your style and character.
I used to use sizziling sausages and all the rest untill kids always said abracadbra, they know its a magic word and I feel its proper magic word. Sometimes I let the children pick from the magic spells book:

Say Bisto oops Hey Presto
Who poked us? oops Hokus Pokus
Ave a Banana oops abracadabra, or
Umpa Umpa....STICK IT YOUR JUMPER! I thought you were all posh round here, who taught you that one?

Matt
I used to use in Italy a lot of strange magic words.
have you seen the book I am reading in my picture?
Its a magic words book (unfortunately in Italian, it doesn't work here in Sweden but I'll make a new one in Swedish).
There are a lot of magic words and I ask a kid, able to read, to choose one magic word. There are so many that usually he doesn't know which word to choose and I'll secretely point my preferred magic word. He reads it, usually not loud. So I tell him to spell it loud because we didn't understand.
And he shouts: "Your feet are stinking!" (TI PUZZANO I PIEDI). Up to you to continue. I managed some kids to pee on themselves for the loughing (sometimes I was also on my way for it..)
I hope you have enjoied it.
/Andrea
A favourite of mine and also a classic is

UMPER UMPER

The children are told that they must NOT reply "Stick It Up Your Jumper" and of coure......everytime you say Umper Umper they say stick it up your jumper!
Said it before, 'tis spelt "Oompah".
I usually have a bit of fun with the kids getting them to shout out all the magic words that they know and then tell them that the most powerful magic words are those my nan taught me.........Please and Thank you. Even more fun getting the kids to make them sound magical and mysterious!
[quote]
On 2004-10-29 08:09, magicgeorge wrote:
Said it before, 'tis spelt "Oompah".
[/quote]

not with an Aussie accent its not....
Mine is 'Biz Biz Billy Wiz' Kids not only remember the magic word, but they also remember my name with that one. Easy when mum wants to book me.
Mine are "Please and Thank you". Apart from the trick or treaters who got to say "Wooooooooooooooo!"
If ya wanna be silly, here's what I use....

"O.K. Kids on the count of three, everyone say some Magic words like Abracadabra, Hokus Pokus or Gosh! This Cowboy's Crazy!" Throws 'em for a loop but the kids love shouting "Gosh! This Cowboys Crazy"

Same line for other tricks but use;
"Get this Cowboy Outta Here!"
"Gosh! This Cowboys Nuts!"

You can use "Clown" "Magician" "Guy" "Gal" instead of Cowboy, I'm tellin' ya, this drives 'em WILD and really gets the kids goin'.
If it is a birthday show I use "Happy Birthday ____________.

For holidays I use "Merry Christmas", "Happy Halloween", etc....
For a good quick laugh you can set them up with the following....

Repeat the magic words real loud!

Oogedy!
Woogedy!
(stick your finger in your nose and say...)

Don't pick your boogedy!!

I have kids rolling on the floor!

S. Patrick
In answer to Mike the Amazing. Let's not cheapen magic by using silly magic words, let us keep it respectable. At Children's Entertainer Competitions here is GB it's the usual thing. A suposedly funny word is used and fails in impact after the second and third time it is used and more importantly it the only funny line they have in their whole performance.

Magic words can be used for special tricks, such a the OOMPA gag with is wonderful line 'if you say that again I will stop you going to school for three weeks so there!' and from then on it's a riot everytime it is said. Or, you are telling the story and you have said a word or sentence and you say 'Which just happened to be the magic words.' They are pronounced and after the second time I is said the children are ahead of you and are already pronouncing the magic word much to their amusement and your displeaseure sometimes. Or: You say there is one magic word you must not say for this trick,does anyone know what it is?' the children shout out words and you point out that one of them has said the magic word you must not say and now YOU ARE in trouble we could go on. Eric and Muriel
I was just thinking about this and I was wondering, for those who use the birthday or special childs name do you think this might actually weaken it. I know that it is their special day and everything, but would it be better if you were to use funny words? By using funny words it does not signal any one out to better, they know it is their birthday and get to do somthing special, already so why not use just a funny word? Basically in this rambling, does using the birthday name actually add that much to it?
I agree with you Robert. I've used the "Happy Birthday _________" in the past and, artistically, it didn't seem to carry as much punch as I would have liked. Now, I prefer to use a consistent tag line as the magic words (something by which my name and reputation with become associated). However, I still close my birthday show by having all of the kids yell out Happy Birthday to the birthday child and then give him/her a loud round of applause.

Kent
I have several. Each goes for different tricks:

Wasabi Cashews

Shiggidy Shiggidy Shwa

Hocus Pocus Chicken Bones Chokeus

The above are just my favorites because they usually get laughs...especially the last one.
I'm daring to go where I certainly am a stranger - working with kids. I notice a few people already used the magic word "Please". However, at the very beginning I tell them that sometimes we need just a little magic, and I have a very tiny magic wand. To do other tricks we need lots of very powerful magic, and I produce a very large wand. I use "Please" when I need the most powerful word (and largest wand).
I used to use Diddle Daddle Doddle but as in the words of my intro song I now just use CRACK A JACK
Out of curiosity do any of you use no magic words at all? I have gone through twenty years without either a word or a wand, and I have never felt the need for either. Am I alone? Tony.
[quote]
On 2009-08-29 12:24, TonyB2009 wrote:
Out of curiosity do any of you use no magic words at all? I have gone through twenty years without either a word or a wand, and I have never felt the need for either. Am I alone? Tony.
[/quote]

Tony,
More power to ya. Magic is sometimes in the perception. The kids (and parents) will arrive with the preconceived notion of bunnies, top hats, magic wand and magic words. It is great that you can be entertaining without the usual props.

-Wes Holly-
I said it before, and I'll say it again. For kid's shows I pay tribute to the Amazing Mumford and use his magic words; "A-la-peanut-butter-sandwiches!" Of course, now-a-days the parents aren't old enough to remember where I got that, so I just do it for me.

Wes Holly
At the start of the show I do a spelling test trick that is displayed through out the show. Usually it is the kids name if it is 7 or fewer letters. If it is longer than I make it the word MAGIC. That is the magic word I use.

Patrick
I have a routine with a "school certificate tearing"
After tearing my bad certificate, I restore it in a spooky way (sound and green fire), using:

"Shalla kabulla - Krabasta Labusta"
I use "smelly socks in custard" but I want to change it as I have heard kids saying smelly cocks! Not what you want them going home telling mum and dad!
My Dragon is called Snot and he teaches the children the magic words so something about him would be good but again I don't want to play too much on the snot.
Hocus Pocus Chicken Bones Choke Us... not sure where I got the phrase.