(Close Window)
Topic: Will the audience notice?
I am working on a cigarette routine and it starts off with animated cigarette. In this effect, the cigarette is filtered and comes out of a Marlboro box (the box is supplied with the effect and contains part of the gimmick). I personally prefer to work with a non filter cig like a traditional Camel.

My question is is there a problem from the average audience standpoint with two different types of cigarettes and packs? Would it even be noticed? If so, I need to work extra hard on the angels with filtered cigs or I can take apart the gimmick and rebuild it.
Not exactly sure what you mean here. Do you mean a Camel from a Marlboro box or do you mean a non-filtered cigarette from a filtered cigarette box? I do think that most audiences, both smokers and non-smokers, would notice a non-filtered cigarette coming from a filtered box. Smokers would notice it because it is not what they see daily, and non-smokers would notice it because it is not what most cigarettes look like these days. Just my 2 cents. Hope that helps!
No, what I meant was that intially the pack I use would be the familiar "Marlboro Red" with a filter cigarette and when this effect was is done, the next pack that came out would be non filter Camels.
I think they are more likely to remember the difference between the packs. Unless the Animated Self-Lighting Cigarette is being made a lot differently than when I bought mine years ago, it would be very easy to alter the pack design. You can do that with a copy machine and a glue stick.

Also, the cigarette used for that routine (again, unless things have changed) is a replacable part of the trick. Just make them with filtered cigarettes with white filters. They will stand out less in comparison to non-filtered Camels.
The visibility of the cigarette would also depends on the size of the performance venue and how far the audience are from you. A white filter makes the cigarette look longer which will improve visibility too.
[quote]I think they are more likely to remember the difference between the packs. Unless the Animated Self-Lighting Cigarette is being made a lot differently than when I bought mine years ago, it would be very easy to alter the pack design. You can do that with a copy machine and a glue stick.
[/quote]

It's probably made the same. I realized last night when I was practicing that it wouldn't be hard to slap a Camel lable over the Marlboro lable.

[quote]A white filter makes the cigarette look longer which will improve visibility too.[/quote]

I know what you're saying, but I seem to have an easier time with my angles with no filtered cigarettes. The extra inch really seeems to make a difference. I find that with filters, I tend to end up holding my hands in artifically tense positions in order to avoid a flash. It seems like I can move my hands through a wider range more naturally and have less angle problems with the non filters.

One thing I could do to compensate for the shorter cig is to make it fatter by rolling it myself. Seems like a thicker cig would increase visability as well.
If it is the non filter cigarette that works better for you, then it is better to change the box to one that holds non filters ... like camel. I think this is a better solution for you, right?
James you steered me to the same conclusion I sort of reached on my own as I kept thiking about the issue. For some reason intially it never occured to me to just change the label on the gimmick pack. Guess I get a mental block sometimes when it comes to messing with special props like that.
I think card manipulation, and manipulation in general, is the purest and most skilled branch of magic
So do the judges at the magic convention contests.

Jim
Message: Posted by: J.G. the magnificent (Nov 13, 2008 03:30PM)
Maybe if you are in a situation where the angles would be more difficult rebuild the gimmick to make the angles easier. Otherwise if you are in a position where angles are not a big deal then work on the angles. Or somthing like that.
If it is the length of the non-filtered cigarette that you prefer, just cut down a filtered cigarette (on the tobacco end) and there you have it. (You could use the Camel as a template.)

This way, you can keep your original gimmick and the cigarettes will appear the same because the filters will match, they'll just be shorter.

Hope this helps,

dc