(Close Window)
Topic: Svengali deck how does it work
IO broke out the old Svengali and now I am researching the long and short principle. I guess its kind of nerdish of me but I am curious. How come when you flip one way you see different cards and the other way you see one card? Whats the science behind this? Anyone know?

Thanks
Chris
Try using just two adjacent cards. Flip each way. You will see right away what is happening.

John
Have never heard a Svengali pitch? Why, the cards have a magnetic finish on them!
Oh, and it's a trick deck! The cards do all the work, no skill required! and wait that's not all I am also including for today only the two card monte absolutely free... all this for the low low price of only $10! Who has $10 get your money out and hold it up high!
Physics!
Actually, my dad is an engineer and he was curious why also.
Scientists have been working on this for years and haven't been able to figure it out. There are a lot of different theories, but it's just one of those things that people accept without fully understanding.
Misterbill is only giving you a partial explanation--for shame.

He forgot to mention that it also has do with the rotation and gravitational pull of the earth.

That's why all Svengali decks produced south of the Equator have to have the indifferent cards trimmed short and the magnetic coating is on the opposite surfaces.

The magic coloring book uses the same principal, unless you are south of the equatorial plane. Then it becomes the magic erasing book.

Cheers
Perhaps this picture will help....

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/39/Svengalideck.png
It seems to me going in the opposite direction though your finger will hold the card causing it to snap back into your hand showing you the shorter one again and not actually working like it really does
Riffle the deck a couple of times both ways and think about it.
I saw the illustration and now I'm confused. Do you have to use a TT to riffle a Svengali deck?

Jim
[quote]
On 2008-10-10 14:08, jimhlou wrote:
I saw the illustration and now I'm confused. Do you have to use a TT to riffle a Svengali deck?

Jim
[/quote]

Jim

I don't think that is an illustration of a TT. That is known here in the south as a nose picker...:)