(Close Window)
Topic: Locked In Thought. New from Paul Brook
Colin McLeod was in my office and we were looking on the Internet for something – no, not THAT! - and went on to Paul Brook’s web site to check something out… where we stumbled across some effect or other that Paul Brook had come up with –one that involved a padlock. Ooops, we reckoned. A padlock isn’t a particularly “invisible prop” – too “magicy” for us serious mentalists. Despite some of the truly great effects Paul has come up with in the past, I must admit that I thought that perhaps – just perhaps – he was just trying to rush something out that used a magic prop at the heart of it.

Well, this morning, I got a package from Paul. Now, I have one of those magic prop padlocks that only open at a particular number on the first tumbler. Never used it. Never will. So, of course I tried to work out the gaff with the padlock I had received. Nothing. Not a thing.

So, against my better judgement, I logged on and downloaded the instructions… Wow! Brilliant. There IS no gaff – as such. Paul offers the perfect – and reasonable – reason why you would introduce a little padlock into the conversation. And then goes on (through his excellent observations and notes – with, yes, a few typos again) to set out, step by step, a wonderful, wonderful effect.

Somebody sets the padlock to a number they will remember – could be their date of birth, I suppose – and clicks it shut. You then, apparently by calling out the numbers zero to nine and watching their reactions, tell them, number by number, what the code is – then open the padlock. Brilliant.

And, as mentioned earlier, the padlock does not a have a wee secret rivet that springs it open, neither does it open at any number, or open at special numbers… you TELL them what the code is.

How cool is that?

I’ll be interested to see what others have to say about this. (By the way, I have met Paul, but have nothing to gain from a positive posting. In fact, there have been a couple of effects Paul has brought out in the past which I didn’t think were as strong as his others, and I have kept my mouth shut. So there!)

Drew
Postie delivered mine about 20 minutes ago. Very interesting...
Looks very very interesting,

It could be presented as a way to ''crack open'' someone thoughts :P,
I like those kinds of effects, as long as the method is simple I'm up for it.

What I'd like to do though is the reverse, I set the lock to a number, and the spec finds it and opens a prediction box or whatever.

Max.
Aww Drew :) you are going to make me blush ;)

Thanks for letting me know about the typo PDF; I had accidentally uploaded the unproofed version.

Tis all sorted now!

Kindest (and blushing),

-Paul
I have to wait for my return from Beijing to rip open my jiffy bag :-(

The blurb looks good and sounds as though you can carry it with you on your key ring. Nice...ought to be fun at the airport too!
Okay - I've been out with a couple of journalists and I tried it out... and there IS a problem. They were so fascinated with the demonstration and the fact that the same technique could be used to ascertain bank pin numbers that it was all they wanted to talk about, rather than the theatre show I have coming up and my incredibly fascinating life and loves!
[quote]
On 2008-10-14 09:45, Drewmcadam wrote:
Okay - I've been out with a couple of journalists and I tried it out... and there IS a problem. They were so fascinated with the demonstration and the fact that the same technique could be used to ascertain bank pin numbers that it was all they wanted to talk about, rather than the theatre show I have coming up and my incredibly fascinating life and loves![/quote]
Oops!

I've had a chance to glance through the manuscript now, and I must say I'm genuinely quite excited about this effect.
I've been waiting for this ever since I heard about it last Blackpool...Just ordered mine. This could be awesome. I think I am going to love it!
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Oct 14, 2008 01:03PM)
Is Colin McLeod coming out with anything?

I have his ‘Force be With You’ and think that it rocks!

best
ray
I received one of these out of the blue this morning. I remember Paul showing me this in a pub earlier this year. I will be downloading the accompanying booklet later as I can for the life of me recall the method
Ah Drew! you beat me to it..i was gonna start a thread...

Anyway folks, I really am very aroused at this effect; it's coming out with me tommorrow night for a gig I'm that confident of using it.

Good quality lock, looks like those locker type or baggage locks you get from Staples and other types of shops. Perfect.

http://www.paulbrook.co.uk/heknows/lockedinthought.htm

I'm genuinely very happy with this - Paul should be very proud of himself; I know how long he took in developing this effect and I hope he's sitting back, eating a Flake and feeling very contented.

Wonderful effect sir, fantastic thinking...bravo!
What is the difficulty level?
It says on the link I provided my friend...

I got it sorted in under ten minutes practice..
"Is Colin McLeod coming out with anything?

I have his ‘Force be With You’ and think that it rocks! "

He should be visiting this thread anytime now - depending on how bad the traffic was on the motorway on the way back up - he's ALWAYS coming out with stuff. Colin...are you there? (First stop...girlfriend, by the looks of things.)

Drew
It's BRILLIANT!

I wasn't sure what to expect at all with this at all, but the thinking behind it is wonderful! You can guarantee that if you ever see me perform 'impromptu' this will be one of the things I would do! It's so simple that you can just fully focus on the presentation.

I'm not going to lie, I'm still 'mastering' the handling, however I genuinely can't rate this highly enough (a statement that gets thrown around too much, however this simple concept and premis uses a strategy I've never seen applied to mentalism before and definitely takes the method in a new direction). Paul continues to impress me with his thinking, and this sums up why. I definitely think this is one of your best works, so congrats my friend!

Plus if Drew has it... expect to see it on Trisha soon :P . (I should also do a quick plug that I have seen the line up for Drew's theatre show and highly recommend as many of you as possible get yourselves along to see him as possible! You will have an excellent night. He's very approachable, signs posters and gives group hugs.)
The U.K. price is 45 pounds

45 pounds converts to roughly $78.00 U.S.

The U.S. payment says $95.00 plus free PP (postage?)

If the conversion is $78.00 and the cost to U.S. is $95.00 why does it say free shipping?

I can understand paying a ship charge to the U.S. but why is the price different if there is no ship charge?

Am I missing something? (probably)

I like lock effects, I just don't get the Free PP and the extra $16.00?
Yes, it seems to be great, but I see the same that Roth, and this extra 16$ are for usa, for spain,.. for all the world..

in the books section there is the same thing...
Thanks for the great reviews guys :)

As for good ol' rothy, roth, roth, wrath, well I shall quote;

"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams!"

There are myriad factors not involving P&P that set the prices as they are.

I know it must be getting difficult thinking of ways to make my products look bad rothy, but P&P, has it gotten that desperate ;) lol

We can play at a p*ssing contest if you like, but I think its getting old too.

I like the saying, "quality speaks for itself". We are both known for our quality products and there is no need to nitpick at my stuff. Be solid in your own status without having to denigrate others work.

As I say, the price is set as they are for a reason. No person is forced to buy anything and can think for themselves.

I shall now prepare for a response from you under a pseudonym, nom de guerre, or sock puppet of your choosing! ;)

Kindest,

-Paul
This isn't the ol' Guess the Telephone # math trick with psych subt is it?
Paul it's a legitimate question.

Your paypal button says free postage to the U.S. (no postage charge when you click to pay for postage in U.S. dollars just $95.00)

That's $17.00 more than what they pay in the U.K. I think that's a fair question.

Just put $78.00 plus shipping, wouldn't that make sense?

I was about to buy it when I saw "U.S. Free P/P" and saw it was $17.00 more for U.S.

Look I think you're a brilliant guy. I love Alchemical Tools but, "a myriad of factors not involving P&P" charge?

It's shipping my friend just say it. We all pay it and quite frankly, we expect to pay it.

BTW this has nothing to do with your work Paul. It was a question about the pricing to the U.S.

We're not THAT suggestible here :).

The real
Roth
Only it's not $78 + shipping.

As a UK seller, you get stung badly for currency transactions.

Todays pay pal conversion fee for example leaves you with about £52 from $95 (excluding standard Paypal fees) which by todays 'real' exchange rate leaves you with about $12 difference.

Of course the shipping will be higher when sending things abroad, but probably not $12 higher - still, I don't find the $12 extra morally outrageous. When I was sending things abroad regularly I always used to charge non-UK customers more. International transactions/deliveries have a higher rate of fraud/package loss/breakages than domestic ones. Plus, I hate foreigners, so am happy to charge them more.
[quote]
On 2008-10-14 22:01, Davit Sicseek wrote:
Only it's not $78 + shipping.

As a UK seller, you get stung badly for currency transactions.

Todays pay pal conversion fee for example leaves you with about £52 from $95 (excluding standard Paypal fees) which by todays 'real' exchange rate leaves you with about $12 difference.

Of course the shipping will be higher when sending things abroad, but probably not $12 higher - still, I don't find the $12 extra morally outrageous. When I was sending things abroad regularly I always used to charge non-UK customers more. International transactions/deliveries have a higher rate of fraud/package loss/breakages than domestic ones. Plus, I hate foreigners, so am happy to charge them more.
[/quote]
The charge for international buyers is not the issue. I expect to pay more when buying international.
The amount is not the issue either. If it's not postage what is it? That's what I wanted to know.

I thought it was odd that there is a charge (9 pounds or $17.00) that was "not a postage charge".

BTW no matter which way you cut it, the conversion is the same both ways.

9 pounds is roughly $17.00 and $17.00 U.S. converts to roughly 9 pounds British.

This query in no way reflects on the product, or has anything to do with the product.

I honestly had not seen a charge like this before and thought it must be the shipping charge.

The Real (no stand-in's here :))
Roth
OK guys. I don't think Roth was picking a fight. I am a big Outlaw fan, however I agree with Rick, Alchemical Tools is great.I think Rick was just pointing out a price discrepancy that might have been overlooked by Paul. If it is free shipping why the extra money? Rick is a stand up guy and buisnessman, and ment no malice. Either way, as Paul stated eveyone has a choice over buying it. Peace Ryan
Still waiting for mine so I can't say much about the product at the moment.

As for the price it's not written anywhere that the prices must match. PB seems like a nice guy to me and has always been ready to help me with my questions and queries, I am sure that there is a reason for the difference.

But like a few guys above have said, "that's the price and them's the apples", any item is either worth the asking price for you or not. You don't eat at a McDonalds (well hopefully not) in one country, only to moan about people in other McDonalds around the world paying less for the same items.

Will jot down my thoughts on locked in thought when I get it (hopefully when I get home from work).

Dr. J
I think we're all big enough to realise that there is no such thing as free shipping. Shipping is included in the price for any physical product described as "free shipping".

It's just marketing spin. It's used everywhere, and it's common for different regions to be charged different prices to take account of the 'free shipping'.
Roth brings up a point that any international purchaser of Paul's products (which, of the ones I have, are excelent) knows.

I assumed Dr. J's rationale was clear to anybody. There is something known as "price discrimination" that is widespread, legal, and even encouraged. Sometimes you get coupons mailed to your home that other people don't. Sometimes the fast food restaurants, gas, or produce is differently priced in one region from another. It's just how it is. While I think Davit's idea about shipping is too simplistic (often, the prices are not reflected in the product itself, but other products from the same vendor, for just one example), it is a pretty good approximation of the real world.

I'd say more but one of the mods flat out told me that a well-reasoned argument sounds like bullying, so I'll stop.

Lem
[quote]
BTW no matter which way you cut it, the conversion is the same both ways.

9 pounds is roughly $17.00 and $17.00 U.S. converts to roughly 9 pounds British. [/quote]

I'm not a fool. You are missing my point that there is a Paypal surcharge on currency conversions IN ADDITION to the regular Paypal fees for receiving funds. I seem to recall this being a 2.5% spread, but I tested my figures quoted above by (yesterday) attempting to withdraw $95 from my Paypal account balance in US$ to my UK current account in pounds sterling. It's still not $78 + shipping.

The marketing says $95 + free postage. The cleverer kids in the class will realise that that much like the proverbial 'lunch' there is no such thing as a free postage. The $95 includes the cost of postage. Although not mentioned, Paul also doesn't charge extra for electricity used to write and deliver the ebook. The $95 includes this.
Comment by me - totally unsolicited:

The Pound has always been stronger than the $. Now that the USA is slipping into the position of a banana republic currencywise -- the daily trade rate has made it difficult to track the actual price of magic -- and the international shipping rates have gone bananas even further than sales items.

The contract with paypal is that you may not charge extra for their fees -- so the 2.5 per cent conversion is not a valid factor and the idea of "free shipping" is a slope filled with banana peels (slippery at best.)

Maybe the best solution here would b for the seller to use KAGI with real date conversion and charge on all non-UK shipments at cost of shipping, conversion, etc.as an add on -- for S&H.
I was going to say...perhaps a price tagline of "inclusive of postage and packing" rather than "free postage and packing" would cover it... but maybe we're there anyway.

To return to the product, however...good reviews, sounds interesting!
Thanks Ray!

I've just sold out of my chair test 'Deceit'.

Currently writing my next book 'Bookless Test' which will have a few things I lectured on in London last year plus a whole lot more! I will keep you up to date my friend!

Until then, I highly recommend Paul's stuff. The Gift, Alchemical Tools (Mainly Killer Hertz) and the new Locked in Thought are genuinely some of the most impressive things I've learnt! There are few people I will learn techniques from then go out and apply their thinking to my own work. Paul is definitely one of those guys. He's very switched on and I like his unique writing approach to the books!

Must dash... the girlfriend is calling...

Best wishes,
Col.
<<There are few people I will learn techniques from then go out and apply their thinking to my own work.>>

Yeah, he just criticises mine! :)

<<Must dash... the girlfriend is calling... >>

Nuthin' new there, then! I dunno what he's got - but he's got SOMETHING! :)
[quote]
On 2008-10-15 16:08, muse wrote:
I was going to say...perhaps a price tagline of "inclusive of postage and packing" rather than "free postage and packing" would cover it... but maybe we're there anyway.

To return to the product, however...good reviews, sounds interesting!
[/quote]

Yeah, it sounds really interesting.

I can't justify buying it because of several reasons, none of which I want to get into right now, but this looks like something really clever.

As an aside since I figure it is just a matter of time before it comes up, Patrick Redford's Glemme has a lock effect in it that, on some levels is similiar. I had a personal viewpoint that it would only work in a stage environment where you could give the lock away at the end (i.e., it was too "gimmicky" to do close up).

I love being wrong. The lock effect rocks close-up although, for the life of me, I can't understand why they don't think it is a gimmicked lock (it isn't, by the way, in the Glemme effect).

Based on that experience, I would imagine Brook's effect would rock the house as well.

Lem
Hey Lem,

Clear your PM box out!!!
Just for you, my dear Dr, it has been done.
[quote]Maybe the best solution here would b for the seller to use KAGI with real date conversion and charge on all non-UK shipments at cost of shipping, conversion, etc.as an add on -- for S&H.[/quote]

Or you could just pick a price and people can like it or lump it.
Exactly - its an effect you're going to be using over and over again in my opinion..

briliant methodology too...

I used this tonight during a gig - perfect reaction and lead in to my finishing effect...plus, if you've read up on some Banachek work, you can use Paul's effect for other things too..though the techniques are completely unrelated...but work very well together.
[quote]
On 2008-10-15 18:58, Davit Sicseek wrote:
[quote]Maybe the best solution here would b for the seller to use KAGI with real date conversion and charge on all non-UK shipments at cost of shipping, conversion, etc.as an add on -- for S&H.[/quote]

Or you could just pick a price and people can like it or lump it.
[/quote]
Exactly +1. Like all that wouldn't be a whole load of extra work...and relax, at least you guys (Americans) get gas for less than $2 per LITRE.

I just got my lock and pdf, and although I had to experiment to find the best action set, I did find it easily and I am amazed at how cool this is. I am very happy and will be using this EVERYWHERE!!!! Thanks for releasing this Paul, I can see how much work went into this and I appreciate it.
I've been playing around with this for the past few days and have performed it at least 11 times with various people. So here goes:

At first I decided that I would not look at the instructions and attempt to figure out how to open the lock. After about 20 minutes of frustration I gave up and can attest that this is indeed audience proof!

Upon reading the instructions it took me around 10 minutes to figure out how to correctly work the mechanism. Now that I have worked it out the lock is opened within seconds.

The lock itself looks completely normal and is the perfect size for carrying around on the rest of your keys. PB's suggestion that it would apparently be your gym locker lock rang serious bells with me as I have a lock similar in size for the gym already on my keys. Needless to say PB's lock has now replaced my gym locker lock.

Performance wise this has been hitting some strong reactions. At first when I read the ad blurb I was, like Drew, dubious about a padlock effect. As usual it is the presentation that PB brings to the effect that just takes it to another level. There is one part in the scripting that allows you to covertly mention the reason for the lock without being suspect in any way, which is just genius in action.

Also, just like Drew, the spectators did not stop talking about the effect. I was shocked to hear some of them talking about PIN numbers and house locks, etc. This effect at its peek not only creates a powerful moment, it also apparently demonstrates that the objects of security are not as secure as we believe them to be.

I found myself having to explain that locks and PIN numbers are still quite safe. Perhaps a line of, "Yes, it is possible to open such secure items, but you need a willing participant in order to obtain these codes!" may be of some use to you?

To summarise: I am REALLY happy with this product, it will always be on my keys ready to go. I can see this becoming an essential new prop for mentalists, and it really opens up the notion of pocket mentalism in my mind.

Great Stuff, I give it my really rare 10/10!
Paul's Locked in Thought had passed me by in the run up to its release, and when I saw it on here alarm bells started ringing a little bit: the description of the effect is VERY close to my effect LockDown, which uses a WordLock instead of a number lock. A little part of me worried that there may be some toe-treading going on, but when I actually got Paul's effect I was really amused by how utterly different both the methodology and Paul's handling are: Similar end destinations but completely different routes there.

LIT uses a small 3 digit code lock, and relies on a principle drawn in from a completely different discipline of magic to turn a simple lock into a very straightforward (and adaptable) piece of mentalism. Paul is carving out a niche as a pocket mentalism guy, filling our jackets with close-up mentalism effects to pull out at the drop of a hat. There have been some criticisms here on the Café about how psychologically invisible other pocket mentalism props are: trust me, LIT passes this test with flying colours. Specs can examine the lock all day long and they will find nothing out of the ordinary. And the effect looks in no way different to how it would appear if it were genuine.

So, my original fears about Paul's Locked in Thought crashing into my LockDown were unfounded. The differences in the effects and the gulf in methodologies mean they are more like a good match than a clash, and to be honest, the numerical simplicity of LIT means that it may be more accessible to many than the five letter word code of LockDown. Which is a shame, because it makes pimping LockDown all the harder! Curse you Paul!

Phill
QQ, how big is the lock? Could you perform this effect on stage?
Can't answer about this because I have yet to order it so I will let others answer for now.

In terms of similiar effects, there are several out there that will play on stage. I currently use the Patrick Redford one. When I get this (prob be at least a month), I'll try to remember to let you know.
[quote]
On 2008-10-21 12:50, caycemindreader wrote:
QQ, how big is the lock? Could you perform this effect on stage?
[/quote]

It is a luggage lock about 3cm by 2cm. As luggage locks go it is quite a chunky robust looking one.

It could be made to play on stage in a number of ways. Although the lock is quite small you can still attach it to people or add a chain and attach them to something. You could use it to lock a box etc.

Anthony
Can it be repeated for the same group/people??
[quote]
On 2008-10-22 06:17, joe161205 wrote:
[/quote]

Absolutely Yes
[quote]
On 2008-10-22 06:17, joe161205 wrote:
[/quote]

That's just one of the great things about the effect. THEY decide what they want the code to be - could be their date of birth or anything they fancy. They set the lock. You place it on the table. They concentrate on the last digit. Bang - you've got it. And so on. Different every time!

Drew
Just wanted to join the chorus of praise for this product. Superb.

I have been playing around with this just for the last day and a half and absolutely love it. I was training a pro magician today and had him totally foxed with it as well as anyone else who has crossed my path. Yes it is a lock but trust me if you have reservations that it is gimmicky or too much like magic, it is not. This is a super strong mind reading effect.

The spectator not only resets the lock and locks it. They can also spin the wheels and can be the person who then opens the lock as you reveal their number.

Having now taken the time to read Paul's accompanying document with routines, hints and tips I am so grateful that he has put this out. The group routine is superb and I don't think I will be leaving home without it.

Thanks Paul. This is your best product yet.

Anthony
Wow, I think this is really strong because we not only can open the lock but also will know the number of the pin. Is that right?
Yes Joe you're right. There is no button or device that opens the lock you actually know the numbers that the spectator sets as the code.

Dr. J
My two cents on this product.

First of all, I got this in the mail on my way out of town for a show. I checked my mail and there it was so I dropped it in my luggage to keep me busy at the hotel.

Sad thing happened “no internet at the hotel” so there I was no instructions yet and this lock I planned to mess with while I was waiting.
Since I love to figure things out I tried and tried to guess how the lock works.
After the show I went down to the bar and tried some more, a guy came up to me and asked what the lock was for, I told him it’s my luggage lock and I was just messing around with it. I told him I forgot my combo and he tried to figure it out and could not.

COULD IT BE THIS IS NOT A GIMMICKED LOCK….

Fast forward, I arrive home yesterday evening download the instructions and WHAMO!! are you kidding me could it be this simplistic so smooth and yet so devastating. The real secret cannot be seen or figured out by just handling the lock, are you kidding me I thought, this is wild. I learned the secret and proceeded to try it out on my wife, yep home run with her.
So here is what I did. I explained that I picked this lock up while on the road, that another traveler left it behind in the hotel. I had her reset the lock; I fiddled with the lock and pretended that I could not open it. Had her then put it in her hands and hold them in front of her.

I told her that everything that happens can be replayed in one’s eyes, so I stared into her eyes and told her to think about changing the
numbers, and project the movements to me. (Already knowing the numbers) I recanted the numbers back to her in reverse, as she stood there in shock I said wait everything is reversed and then I grabbed the lock and unlocked it.
It killed.

Folks this is a keeper, clean quick and effective. Nice bit of pocket mentalism that can be played many different ways.

Thank you Paul for providing us with some very remarkable products. And thank you for your awesome customer service.

Floyd
Met up with Colin McLeod last night, and I noticed on his key ring was a strangely familiar looking padlock! At this rate the general population will be able to recognise a mentalist simply by looking at their keyring!

Drew
Took me longer to work out how my lock worked about 2 days. Since then I have been whoring this little lock for all of its worth. This is by far the best piece of pocket mentalism that I have ever seen or used. Ive never seen a concept like this being applied to mentalism at all.

Like Drew said soon you will be able to tell mentalists easily by their keys alone!
It's very tempting to buy this effect. However, I'm a little afraid that people will think oh, it must be a trick lock.
Just bought this.

Will post my thoughts when it comes through.

Andy
Patrick66,
Let them think that all they want, you can prove that its not, just hand it to them and let them play till their hearts content.

Floyd
Once they set their number I have even asked them to just check that is the only number that opens it.

Had fun doing using this with groups the other night. Letting the other members of the group have a go at picking up on the numbers. They were surprisingly accurate especially when the dials I asked them to go for had my favourite psycho force numbers.

Anthony
I recieved Locked in Thought on Saturday. Initially I thought it would be difficult to master but by Saturday night, I was getting great reactions. It really is a believable prop and a powerful convincer.

It is permanantly attached to my keyring now.
A brilliant idea, with close attention to detail.
Thanks Paul!
Has anyone else noticed a slight numbing sensation in their left index finger?
PM me if you've played with a different handling.

I apologize if this sounds vaguely dirty.
Dmoses you dirty person :) I had the same feeling until I switched to having the lock attached to my keyring.
That's what I've done. thx mindseeker!
Oh man, I'm so curious what that means. I took the plunge and bought the effect. If a read the reviews, I cannot go wrong.
:)
I'm pretty sure you won't be disappointed.
Just recieved this in the post this morning, and I'm very happy with the idea and the lock. I think I'm going to have a lot of fun with this. I shall be trying it out later, but already I can see that this is going to blow people away.
Thanks for releasing this Paul. Another cracking effect from Mr Brooks.. Kudo's to you sir ;)

Andy
I now carry my little padlock next to my Haunted Key on my keyring and I'm getting excellent use from it. The best bit about my padlock, for people who know the effect, is that there's a slight but VERY useful glitch on the middle tumbler as it rotates, so I can safely set a random combination for the spec to try to find using their hunch about how they think it works. Basically, they prove to themselves that it can't work the way they think it does, he he...
Just a little subtletie I used at a gig the other week, I was fortunate to get 5 minutes on stage before I did some table walkaround.

After introducing myself and getting the attention of the whole room I did some 3 psychological forces and asked if anyone got all three. I had 2 or three from each table (except 1 table who only got 1) raise their hand.

I then asked these people to get a 3 digit number in their mind for when I arrived at the table. It proved a really good way to approach and have them talking about me before I reached the table.

Just wanted to share.

Andy
That's a good way to do it Andy, I have done something similar but with people who other effects have not worked on. I explain that the other effect did not work because the person has a different viewpoint in life. But knowing that the effect was ineffective has demonstrated to me just how that person's mind works.

Then I launch into the effect.

I would be really interested in hearing the different presentation angles that people are using with this effect.
Great idea andy. I've been trying to figure out a way to put the lock into a larger context... and something like that would work well...

something that I've just start to play with is using the lock as the weight of a pendulum. the last number is always easiest to get and glimpse. I get them to put the lock on the end of a chain and (knowing the number already as a back up) see how they do when I count through the numbers.

I've had mixed success with this so far. but I think there's something there.
"Now Tasha, we spoke earlier didn't we...and you have a padlock on your keychain don't you..can we use that now please for something?"

A form of p**-s*** with an object...makes it look like you've had nothing to do with it all.
Haha.

that's great!
[quote]
On 2008-11-27 20:04, IAIN wrote:
"Now Tasha, we spoke earlier didn't we...and you have a padlock on your keychain don't you..can we use that now please for something?"

A form of p**-s*** with an object...makes it look like you've had nothing to do with it all.
[/quote]

Nice.!!
[quote]
On 2008-11-27 20:04, IAIN wrote:

[/quote]

That is genius!

What do you after the effect is over? Does the person try and hand you the lock back?
Well, don't forget, I'm close up mainly - so I just nab it back off them before I go...if anyone is listening - or you are unable to get them alone, just say something like "i hope you enjoyed that experiment using the lock - may I have it so I can try something else with it later if there's time, please..."
That's clever.
Thos of you who have Jerome Finley's Thought Channel...think about combining this effect with the concepts in TC and TC 2.0.

This kills...

Trust me

J
Do wee need to have good sleight for performing LIT? and how difficult is the sleight? thanks
[quote]
On 2009-01-27 06:41, joe161205 wrote:
Do wee need to have good sleight for performing LIT? and how difficult is the sleight? thanks
[/quote]

No, very easy to perform and deviously clever.
A guy at my magic club showed me this effect and I had no idea what it was. Thanks to Dick Christian on another thread I was given a link to Paul's website.

Never heard about Paul before and was quite worried about buying directly from what was to me a new name.

This dropped through my letterbox yesterday and I am so pleased with the method. Really enjoyed Paul's writing style as he made everything clear and easy to understand.

I have not yet performed this effect but I am very much looking forward to doing so. Having had the effect performed for me before I discovered the secret I can testify just how clean this effect is.

Very happy customer here, thanks again Dick Christian.
There will be a *LIVE* demo of LIT this morning on BIG DOG 92.7 FM

http://www.bigdog927.com/player/player

For those of you unsure of the power of this effect -- tune in.

This truly is dynamite.

J
Is there a link to a copy of this?
[quote]
On 2008-10-27 16:21, Anthony Jacquin wrote:
Once they set their number I have even asked them to just check that is the only number that opens it.

Had fun doing using this with groups the other night. Letting the other members of the group have a go at picking up on the numbers. They were surprisingly accurate especially when the dials I asked them to go for had my favourite psycho force numbers.

Anthony
[/quote]

I like the sound of this product and is just about to order it. Could you (or anyone else) give a hint of some material about forcing numbers on spectators? It seems like a good really combination of mentalism.
Clever.
Hi Mikkel,

My 'force' process is a combination of
- using the common numbers that people go for when asked to name or think of one.
- killing the near common with my request for them to name a number.
- encouraging the unusual after the common are named.
- capitalising on common or different when they I have prior knowledge of the numbers chosen.

In other words Jazz :)

Psychological Subtleties and Kneppers stuff is my inspiration. Naked Mentalism is apparently the more recent work to get. I do not have it but I assume it deals with numbers as well as many other things too.

Anthony
All, good ideas.
Iain, great idea.
So after reading all of this success and positivisty I am kind of embarrassed to post this, but I Have been struggling with this thing for a day now with no success. Written instructions with no pictures has me stumped. I figured out how to reset the lock after 15 minutes of fumbling. But now can't figure out how to crack it. I feel like I am spinning a roll of tape around trying to find the hidden edge.
Message: Posted by: Christopher Taylor (Aug 19, 2016 09:53AM)
[quote]On Aug 19, 2016, DavidKenney wrote:
So after reading all of this success and positivisty I am kind of embarrassed to post this, but I Have been struggling with this thing for a day now with no success. Written instructions with no pictures has me stumped. I figured out how to reset the lock after 15 minutes of fumbling. But now can't figure out how to crack it. I feel like I am spinning a roll of tape around trying to find the hidden edge. [/quote]

David: Where did you buy this? I just ordered this from https://www.mystiquefactory.com/products/locked-in-thought-gimmick-and-online-instructions-by-paul-brook, which includes online instructions which I assume are video. Am I wrong?

Christopher
Yes - the online instructions are strictly a 46 page pdf with no pictures

The very bottom of the ad copy says

What You Get:
Special Padlock: One padlock that that will enable you to perform these amazing effects
eBook: A 40 page eBook containing the secret to the effect, scripted routines, along with tried and tested subtleties
So after reading all of this success and positivisty I am kind of embarrassed to post this, but I Have been struggling with this thing for a day now with no success. Written instructions with no pictures has me stumped. I figured out how to reset the lock after 15 minutes of fumbling. But now can't figure out how to crack it. I feel like I am spinning a roll of tape around trying to find the hidden edge. [/quote]

Can I recommend starting form the opposite side that is mentioned in the eBook.

Also, add some keys so that you can get 'sufficient' purchase while learning the routine.

Hope this helps?

Cheers,

Paul
[quote]On Aug 19, 2016, Christopher Taylor wrote:

David: Where did you buy this? I just ordered this from https://www.mystiquefactory.com/products/locked-in-thought-gimmick-and-online-instructions-by-paul-brook, which includes online instructions which I assume are video. Am I wrong?

Christopher [/quote]

Yes you are wrong, the instructions are in PDF format, however, to make things clearer I have recently filmed an explanation video that is currently being edited.

Until then I'm happy to Skype with anyone who has purchased the lock and talk them through the process.

Cheers,

Paul
I think the video will really help a lot of your clients, especially those of us who have zero skills with lock picking. A picture is worth a thousand words as they say and I also think it will give your audience more BANG for their buck
I just purchased Locked in Thought and I cannot get it to work as described in the instructions. There has been mention of a video explanation, but I can only access the 46 page pdf file. If Paul Brook sees this, please give me some instructions to find the video. Thanks.
I'm sure Paul will get you sorted, but just a heads up that Paul goes into great detail on this effect in his Penguin lecture, which covers a ton of other great stuff as well!
Another "I Can't Decipher These Instructions" post. I do have his Penguin lecture (it's on my iPod as well on my phone) so if he covers it his lecture whatever's on Page 12, please let me know the time-marker on the Penguin lecture so I can look there.

On R******* (Page 12):

1: ok, all good
2: problem - "then press **** into the ****"
Am I reading the last part of Step 2 correctly because:
3: "Once *****" -- which is what I just did -- "turn the **** ***** *****"
How do I ***** either ***** from me or **** me if I did Step 2 correctly?

Is there a clearer, 'Explain-Like-I'm-5-Years-Old' explanation or a video or some sort of illustration?
I got it from Hocus Pocus, still messing around with it to feel comfortable, not cracked it yet. Not having Skype, is there a video clip available to assist?