(Close Window)
Topic: Verbal Magic-Juan Tamariz
Has anybody read this that can give a review? I havent heard much about this one and a search didn't come up with much either.
Thanks!
Jamy Ian Swiss gives it a nice review in this month's Genii,there's also an excerpt and review in this months Magic(which I have not seen yet)
I Have been looking that review as well :confused:
(I Trust Tamariz material, so I already made my order yesterday)
I'm a little disappointed in the book. Seems a little too complicated or contrived at times. I don't agree with some of the basic premises of the book on how to present "Over the Phone" type of magic.

It doesn't seem to translate from "Live" performance in Spanish to printed reading in English. (Seems like a difficult thing to do)

I also was taken back by the Bush bashing. ( I didn't vote for Bush but I wouldn't call him the root of all Evil either.) :)

I am rereading it to see what I've missed, if anything. (Wouldn't be the first time)

On the GOOD SIDE, he does point to many sources that help you research and develop your own routines.
Message: Posted by: michaelmystic2003 (Nov 10, 2008 07:00AM)
I'm VERY interested in this book, as with everything Tamariz puts out. Will be buying for sure!
Personally I like the book. for one its nice to have some material for a real niche venue, you never know when something like this might be very useful. Also the book is fun. if you follow along with the book you can experience exactly what the spec will. there is some nifty and fun ideas, very useful book!

Unless you can prompt your specs to perform Sleight of hand without them knowing I think its gonna have to be a contrived.... don't you think
Not really. I'd be more than happy to show you over the phone :)

Mr. T Does in fact have them perform the "Slight" without knowing it. That's the good part of the book.
I am quite liking it (about half-way through) but have to agree with translation issues which Psychic Samurai brought up. NOT that there is anything wrong with the translation: I'm quite sure the translation is up to par, but Tamariz' style is something that cannot quite be translated seperately from his persona nor is it accessible to all cultures - just seeing Tamariz perform once and try to imagine a government official following his act.
Content-wise the book is TERRIFIC - I'll be memorising a few tricks (after a rewrite of presentation (keeping the essentials/instructions in)) to baffle some friends over the phone should the occasion occur.
A contrived occasion would be to send my cousin a set of cards with images of gifts and force, during the phone conversation, the card depicting the gift I actually bought (and sent the week before c/o his wife). There are possibilities...
I am also enjoying it. Besides the fun tricks, I think their are larger lessons to be learned as well; how Tamariz is able to cloak the tricks in fun presentations(some political, some bawdy,some just fun) Or how he is able to psychologicaly manipulate spectators memories. Or how is able to create so much fun and magic with just a few cards or slips of paper. I know it's not the magnus opus we're all drooling about, but it's a really fun book, and I'm glad I bought it.

I think it's interesting that he presents some of these effects in his live shows as well....so there a lot of possibilities here, beyond just the radio or telephone.
For those of you who have the book, here's a link to Juan presenting "Paradise Recovered" to a live audience(and getting a healthy round of applause). It's nearly ten minutes yet no one looks bored,further proof in the power of this kind of magic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTr4X5GCXN8&feature=related
I love this book. In it I found one effect in particular that, with a small alteration and a new presentation has become absolutely fantastic with small groups of people. Definitely worth the money!

Jamie.
Tamariz Work is GOLD! I always recommend all Tamariz Books and videos! A true master of the craft!
I have enjoyed the book so far. It does get a little boring at times if you try and perform each trick on yourself (I thought it sounded like fun - it got old :)). However, it is nice to have this to reference when opportunities come up to do this type of material (radio, Internet, phone, live).
One of the best books I have purchased so far, and I have a lot of books. I performed one effect for my wife to try it out. She was really floored when she turned over the top cards of each of the four packets she assembled, and found all the aces. Pure gold. If you want a book that allows the spectators to perform the magic, then this is the book for you. Highly recommended!!!

Jeremy Hanrahan
I got my copy few weeks ago. But I don't start to read yet. I keep this book for Holiday.
Fantastic book, that's all I can say... you have no idea how much people ask me to perform an effect that happens all in their hands... they love being a part of the magic. Now, with the effects in Verbal Magic, they get to DO the magic. Great stuff. There's one effect in particular that I'm having TONS of fun and success with.
I was looking for the original spanish version "Por Arte de Verbimagia" to read Tamariz original words on book and CD. but found something strange:

Spanish Version price in Europe is around $50.00 EUR(66 USD)
Spanish Version Price at Tango Magic is $66.00 USD (Same price than Europe)
but, English version price at Hermetic Press is $40.00 USD

So, it's more cheap to buy the tranlated english version.

I think, it is more because market...
Fantastic book, can't wait for the others (sonata etc.)also ...
[quote]
On 2009-04-30 11:13, Mind_Magic wrote:
I was looking for the original spanish version "Por Arte de Verbimagia" to read Tamariz original words on book and CD. but found something strange:

Spanish Version price in Europe is around $50.00 EUR(66 USD)
Spanish Version Price at Tango Magic is $66.00 USD (Same price than Europe)
but, English version price at Hermetic Press is $40.00 USD

So, it's more cheap to buy the tranlated english version.

I think, it is more because market...
[/quote]

... or taxes in Europe!!!

I never look religiously at anybody's work. Naturally knowing Juan, I'm always curious about his work which is different from being unconditional.

This book is very interesting. It is again different from everything in print.
Thus without being unconditional I still have to wait for one book by Juan Tamariz which purchase I would regret.

All of his past writings (including Monedas, Monedas which is unfortunately out of print) are extremely valuable. His "Magic Way" and "5 points in Magic" have made our art progress and should be in every magician's library (whatever type of magic we perform).

Juan Tamariz really deserves gratitude from our community for the extreme seriousness, deep research and original angles that his printed work demonstrates.

Juan you are somebody different! Thank you for sharing your talent with us
I am re-reading the book and have enjoyed it more the second time around. I do like the fact that the effect isn't explained prior to reading through the routine. I have found this to be the case with other books that have been translated into English.
WAIT! What I meant to say is I do NOT like the fact that they don't describe the effect. Sorry.
Delete. Sorry.
Message: Posted by: Xtreme Manipulator (Jun 24, 2009 02:12AM)
In my pointless opinion, Juan can do no harm.
Message: Posted by: Xtreme Manipulator (Jun 24, 2009 02:12AM)
In my pointless opinion, Juan can do no harm.
I loved this book and specially the first trick with 10 cards and his concept with prime numbers.I haven't seen this concept in ANY other source.

Again,Juan, you are the vernon of our time

Ellen
Can anyone tell me what kind of material is in this book? What kinds of things would the spectator need (cards, coins, slips of paper, etc.)?

Josh
[quote]
On 2013-08-16 14:31, JoshLondonMagic wrote:
Can anyone tell me what kind of material is in this book? What kinds of things would the spectator need (cards, coins, slips of paper, etc.)?

Josh
[/quote]

Hi Josh,

This link should answer a few questions - I hope! ;)

http://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic/card-magic/verbal-magic/

Best,
Vlad
Thanks Vlad! A lot of help. I think I'll pick it up.
I would love to pick this up. Anyone who read it recently?
I’ve studied this book several years ago and I’ve combined several methods contained in the book to create two routines which are now in my stage repertoire (each member of the audience has a deck in front of him). There is wonderful principles in this book. As usual with Tamariz. It costs $ 35, namely nothing compared to what you can do with it.
I performed three times on the radio using material from this book.
Of course, Tamariz has a distinct style, and his presentations are juste a guide. Building our own routine with the principles in the book is obviously something we have to do. As always…
When I did this material, it was totally necessary to change the approach. Tamariz's style and persona are definitely not mine!

In these tricks, you have the spectators do actions that seem totally random. At various points, they are allowed to make choices. It all seems so haphazard. In the end, however, they are surprised that the cards, everybody's cards, have arranged themselves in a certain way. Or everybody is left with the same card, an ace. Etc.

Reading and learning the scripts does not mean you will automatically be able to perform the tricks. Since the tricks require you direct the actions of the spectators, you need to be absolutely clear as to what you want them to do.

Doing the tricks (three) on the radio was a learning experience. I had never done anything like that before. For instance, I learned that laypeople refer to spot cards as [i]number[/i] cards. This had never been a problem when doing normal performances because the spectators can [i]see[/i] the cards. On the radio, they cannot, and so it is important to refer to spot cards as number cards to avoid confusion. Little things like that.

At the start, I handed out the appropriate cards to the DJ and other people in the studio and had them follow along as I stepped through the routine myself while, at the same time over the microphone, guiding the (invisible) audience in radioland as to what actions they were to take. Those in the studio could see me and see what I was doing, and could ask questions, which facilitated the performance.

Many people I talked to who heard the performance and tried to follow along were unable to do so. One problem was I was going too fast. The people in the studio, however, were able to follow along and they were impressed. Their reactions were conveyed to the listening audience, and so it wasn't a complete loss.

It's definitely easier to perform these tricks "live," so that if there is any confusion, you can [i]show[/i] the spectators what you want them to do. But Juan Tamariz, himself, performed them on the radio. He also concentrated on performing for the people in the studio.

I happened to know someone who knew someone who did an hour talk/music radio show once a week on a local station, only about 10 minutes from my house. I asked him if he could set it up for me to perform. The studio people were enthusiastic about it because doing magic on the radio seemed such a wild idea.

It was a fun experience. These little studios are all over the country. If you know of one, you might see about getting on and doing some of the tricks from [i]Verbal Magic[/i].
I second Ray, I worked very hard on clarity for the instructions. It’s better live. And keep in mind that you have to slow down, you will always be too fast.
Message: Posted by: The great Gumbini (Mar 29, 2021 05:24PM)
For me it all started with the four aces trick that Dan Harlan had out on a download after that I was simply hooked on this kind of verbal magic so Penguin Magic gave me a $5 gift certificate towards the purchase of this book I have started reading it yesterday and already performed two of the effects for my wife which she absolutely loved my one bit of advice to anyone reading this book read it with a deck of cards in hand so you could follow line by line while performing the effect this goes a long way I repeat I would not try to read this book without a deck of cards in hand. Also read very carefully the words he says sometimes he'll say put a card in the deck and you would have to realize he's talking about the deck that is on the table not the one you may have in your hand at the time so read it carefully and I think most will be able to work these out with no problem. This is a great book and I honestly believe magicians should have this at least on their shelf for reference.

Good magic to all,

Eric
I had read the book a long time ago and, to my shame, was somewhat dismissive of the effects. Part of this may have been Tamariz's style and commentary which I could never have pulled off. However, seeing how Dan Harlan has successfully adapted and performed some of these stories has demonstrated how ANY trick requires thought and personalization before I should be performing it. Thank you Juan, thank you Dan!