(Close Window)
Topic: Thoughts on "Technique"
Lately, I have been very pleasantly surprised as to how many occasions have presented themselves on which I have been able to incorporate numerous ideas from Matthew Mello's "Technique". The "technique" itself is wonderful- and very easy to learn. In fact, on another thread, Mello presents a great idea on how to present it completely impromptu, with a newspaper.

Equally as clever as "Technique", were some other gems that should not be overlooked, including a very fair looking "turning away" approach I have already incorporated with Luke Jermay's "Emotional Intelligence". In addition, Mello's insights on spectator management are most helpful

Similarly, there is a very clever billet tear that is taught, with a couple of tremendous subtleties employed. Even if you use another tear, this will help you add "stealth factor" to yours.

Again, I have been surprised as to how much I have gleaned from "Technique", and recommend it to any mentalist looking to expand their arsenal and improve their existing skills.
Thanks, we didn't talk much about the bonuses but they are really great. This effect really proves that an update of an almost forgotten idea can really play big.
Matt did this for me on Monday, and it was absolutely great!!
How repeatable is the effect for the same person? Is it possible to borrow anything and not carry anything on you?
I have never even heard of this till I checked out their site for the first time, and it looks amazing! I wonder why I havent heard that much about this effect, but definitely want to check it out! -DP
Gabelson,

Glad you liked it and are getting use out of it.

I've always said that it's the subtleties that make the effect. The technique is good, but it's all the small things that go on that make the effect better. And if you can apply them to other effects then awesome. Have fun with it.

Matthew Mello
It's a really good video and I was pleasantly surprised with method.I wouldn't repeat it over and over though. Value for money is easy 10/10 imho.
You were pleasantly surprised with the method ?
You haven't never read a classic mentalism book have you?
Besides thank you to Matthew to refresh this technique.
The video is well done and the explanation are very clear.
I've read what I've read. Including Corinda where it was alluded to but I was still happy with MM's work on it and the quality of the Vid :)
Maybe :)

I think it's not matter of "Magicians helping magicians" here. It's matter of knowledge. It's not because you don't know something that it's new! I understand nowaday a DVD is easier to watch than read a book. Today all is easy to find via internet. It's very good because the general level of our art rises but in the same time "newcomer" thinks he knows everything after 6 months of practice.

I am not talking about you. I'm talking in general.
I think people are making assumptions about Technique that are not true. The method to Technique is what I would call a lost classic. Almost like a band like the MC5 great band in their day people didn't really get it but it took years for people to see what they could do with the groundwork that they laid out. Technique looks like real
(hard core so you want me to prove it, fine I don't need to touch the paper in fact go to the other side of the room) mind reading. I know people love a good spat on here but it isn't necessary with this product. This is one of the good ones. As for Matt Mello releasing rehash material I think that you are wrong Matt is one of the most gifted and practical mentalism thinkers I have met. He is one of the very few mentalist that work on a weekly basis doing close up mentalism for people in an upscale restaurant. What is even cooler is he does it with no gimmicks, although he may start using the Universal Impression gimmick if he's smart. Did I mention that he is only 21.
Technique is NOT pencil reading as has already been pointed out. For someone to find a reference to Technique in 13 steps would be very difficult as I think it is ONE LINE. I took the technique and made it easier. I came up with ways to get the spectator to go slower and be more precise without actually saying, "Please go slowly and draw deliberately". If you don't see that as an improvement then whatever. I'm done. Ttyl.

Matthew Mello
The video, as LukeB said, is extremely well done. "Technique" is not pencil reading. I have attempted pencil reading for years, to no avail. Well, immediately after watching "Technique", I was able to perform it. First time out! The spec had no clue as to how I was able to get the information I did.
"Technique" is explained clearly as are all its subtleties. Plus, the extras alone are worth the price of the DVD, IMHO.
It's hard not to be defensive when one is exploring and elaborating on work that has already been published. Myself, I don't see a problem if somebody is "re-discovering" and building upon classic work as long as it's properly credited and as long as there's not deliberately misleading hype.

I don't think the fact that the "Technique" Matthew is presenting has been described in 13 Steps and some of Karl Fulves work and it has, needs to take away anything from anyone.

It's "real work" stuff. And that has as much value as "the secret" in my opinion anyway. Caveat Emptor.
Message: Posted by: Christopher Taylor (Oct 30, 2008 07:00PM)
[quote]
I don't think the fact that the "Technique" Matthew is presenting has been described in 13 Steps and some of Karl Fulves work... and it has... needs to take away anything from anyone.
[/quote]

I agree 100%. I just ordered this and am looking forward to seeing a "classic method" applied in the real modern world. Cheers.

Christopher
Hi Christopher,

I value your integrity and opinion and hope you will post a review after you've had an opportunity to try Technique. Thanks.

Regards, Steve
Message: Posted by: Christopher Taylor (Oct 31, 2008 02:52PM)
Steve: I will be happy to do that. Cheers.

Christopher
I use Technique as taught: a very direct effect. But at times I also use it in combination with "Meant to Be" for a version of ACAAN. Someone writes a number, keeps that number to themselves, someone else thinks of a card. I pull out the deck, ask them to announce their card, I then cleanly hand them the deck. I then ask the first person to, for the first time, reveal the number. They do, and then the spec with the deck counts down to that number and viola!
Seriously, why didn't we think of something like that.
Watched it.
Message: Posted by: Lord Of The Horses (Nov 1, 2008 08:57PM)
[quote]
On 2008-11-01 21:30, ElliottB wrote:
Watched it.
[/quote]

Great review, Elliott.

Even though, if I may say that, a little long winded... ;)
Does it have to be a number? Could it be 2 characters resembling a playing card?
( characters meaning A,B,C,1,2,3)
CW
Can I ask those who own this how long it is taking them to get the technique down? The first few runs I have encountered some things not on the Vid but I know this was because I didn't set the spec up properly. My question's are really, how long is it taking you to learn, what is your success rate and are you practicing a lot on 1 or 2 mates who know what your up to or just friends and strangers?
LukeB, here is a thread on it:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=275963&forum=218&start=0

CW
LukeB,

If you are having any troubles feel free to contact me and I will try to help you the best I can. The effect/method is very simple and you should get it down very quickly. Again, PM me and I'll help you out.

Matthew Mello
So, I was thinking about this DVD, and it occurred to me that, almost as an aside, it includes a particularly clever and versatile idea that I will immediately be able to add to my arsenal. I suspect others will too. Therefore, I highly recommend this DVD to all mentalists and serious hobbyists.

Elliott
I high recommend this DVD too.

Technique is not an effect that you watch and perform next day; it takes time to master; the good thing is that it’s easier than old methods as Matthew wrote above.

I’m using it with my ACAAN and Affected by Berglas deck.

Someone ask if Technique could be used for letters, numbers or maybe symbols. I think yes but I would “Limit” the output possibilities in order to make it more accurate.

Also I suggest you to have a backup plan.
Backup plan? Not 100% full proof?
Demo:

http://www.papercraneproductions.net/technique.htm

I think he meant to have a backup plan for letters not numbers.
Numbers from what I read are 100 percent.
Could this be used for example, at the end of diplopia?

As in you do all the lead in whilst you look for their thought of card, and they do the writting on the card?

Then you could both write the same number on each others chosen card.

Jon Hackett
"Technique" is what the titel says, itīs a variation of an old and wellknown (impromptu)technique to recieve a number without touching the paper after writing. The idea is quite clever but not 100% safe, so you should think about an own out (metthew offers an also well know out, but for me this is more an emergency door).
I also think that this technique could be usefull in combination with other techniques embedded within a stage or stand up routine where you also need to get a number a spectator is thinking of. To use this method to recieve letters or pictures could be too risky in my opinion.

So for me, "technique" is another technique I can use impromptu more or less and that enhanced my mental toolbox. Now it depends on the creativity of the mentalist to create an entertaining routine. But I wouldnīt perform it pure as stand alone.
People are reporting very near to 100% with numbers and having practiced this a while I wouldn't disagree..I'm yet to try symbols but knowing the secret it seems the ESP symbols would be even more gettable than numbers
Luke
I just cant decide wether to purchase this or not, I'm worried to start with that it is what I thought it was, of which it would seem to me that it couldn't be because of the idea of letters and symbols. But if its not 100% and at the end of the day there are plenty of methods that can glean info of people, is this really something ELSE I should spend my hard earned cash on?

Jon Hackett
If you are into mind reading and after reading the threads you don't know EXACTLY how this works it is a must buy.If you practice the effects are quite severe.
Ineresting, thas great advice, what pushes you toward saying this is a MUST buy?

Im interested. Sounds great!

Jon Hackett
Jon,
it depends on what you already know,use and what kind of effects you want to present.
If you are a collector of different techniques it may could be a "must have". If you are looking for a stand up or stage method to reveal a number, itīs another method besides of many others and a "nice to have" technique.
As already mentioned, it depends on what you want to realize, but although itīs an interesting variation, itīs not a "must have" in my opinion.
Thanks forn all the information, I want to buy this DVD.
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (May 8, 2009 12:52AM)
This looks like a very good tool for my tool box!

Ray
It's great.
I am looking into getting into mentalism and this effect looks very interesting. would you reccommend this along with the 13 steps book? I wanted a dvd to sort of supplement my reading of the book. also how impromptu is this effect? my main thing is I don't want to have to walk around with a large notepad like I see in the demo. can this be done with a small to average size sheet of paper?
If by average you mean 8 & 1/2 by 11, then yes. Technique is a good supplement for step 2, I believe. Gabelson mentioned earlier that Matt Mello commented in another thread... something about doing this impromptu with a newspaper.
My girlfriend used to tell me that size didn't matter. Then she dumped me.
Hey guys,

Thanks again for the great comments on Technique.

Matt Mello
Could this be done on stage with one of those giant paper pads?
[quote]
On 2009-05-11 00:01, pearljamjeff wrote:
My girlfriend used to tell me that size didn't matter. Then she dumped me.
[/quote]

LOL...

I recieved mine about a week ago and I cant wait to go out and try it, It will be a bit yet befor I do, but it will defenetly be worth the effort. I have a few Ideas I'm working on with it and am exited for the other possability's that I have in mind.

Thanks Mathew for releasing this.

Regards,

Daren
Matt, thank you for coming out with this. The DVD was well made and thought out. Very clear instruction and it was great to see your performance style. Great job! Can't wait for your next release.
Thanks for the kind words. Glad you enjoy it.

Matt Mello
Actually some of my friends got this but they said the Dvd only explain the "Number" version. and they said if I want to know "Technique", books are better. they said some books got some theory even can do it more easy and more comfortable.
is it?

P.S. I will get my "Technique" next week, just want to know if I can get more advance.
If your friends can show me a book where this technique is made easier then I have provided please show it to me, because as far as I'm aware this is the easiest way to use it and become accustomed to it.

But, if you do know the name of the book I would be interested just for my own knowledge. Thanks.

Matt Mello
Matt, I purchased the DVD a month ago. Just had a chance to perform it.....it killed! Thanks.
It is a great product
thanks for releasing technique Matt

mello.. are you brasilian? just asking
its an interesting last name
Hey guys,

Glad your enjoying Technique. Its great to hear that people are happy with a product that I've put a lot of work into.

My last name is portugese ;).

Matt Mello
I am doing this on a more frequent basis and it going very well. Matt's presentational insight was very valuable.
Like I wrote the day after I bought it seven months ago, I found the information on this DVD to be invaluable. "Technique" would be worth its weight in gold, even if it were a heavier VHS tape.

Elliott
I ordered this last night out of curiosity. The demo looked impressive and I just had to know. I am not a mentalist in anyway, but occassionaly have performed a few mental tricks.

With that said, I was very impressed with the method. At first I shook my head in disbelieve, and thought there was no way this could work. Then came the test. I tried it on my wife Bonnie this morning, and followed Matt's instructions to a tee. I couldn't believe how right he was. I was able to guess a three digit number I had her write on a paper.

I think I will incorporate this into my stage act using Buddy, (my puppet). I'll have him be the mindreader. I'll be working on a routine for it today.

(I posted this on another thread as well, but then seen this one which is a bit more current.)
I love this!!
It makes the idea much smoother to execute than its original predecessor. I also have used this idea with very simple shapes, it worked wonders. If you apply this method the right way you can even predict very simple drawings...but like many others have said it’s not foolproof, but rarely will it fail. IMHO I think its well worth it!!

Great job!!!
This just got on to my radar, seems like something to explore.
I have this effect for sale in the "tricks and effects for sale or trade" section of the Café.

I think this is great and use it a lot. Included in my sale are a couple bonus ideas. One of them is the only way I use Matt's wonderful technique. Yes, the technique may require an "out". So, I have a routine that just kills that has a built in out so the routine kills whether the technique works or not. By the way, whether the technique works is based on whether the participant follows your instructions. As we know, participants don't always follow instructions. Usually they do, especially if you present the effect in a way that makes it entertaining and fun, and they "want" to play along. However, I use this routine because it really doesn't matter whether the technique works or not. The effect is a miracle either way. It's just a matter of whether it is a major miracle or really major miracle. Check it out if you are interested.

I hate to part with it, but I have to sell it because my magic is taking up so much room, it's either I sell some stuff or I have to move into the dog house!

In addition to the effect and the bonus above, I am including a second bonus, one of my favorite card effects, never released to the magic community. It is another very powerful routine.

KJ