(Close Window)
Topic: Using markers on balloons
I often draw faces on my balloon sculptures, using a sharpie. Recently, a child put their balloon on a white sofa and the ink rubbed off onto the sofa, even after it had dried on the balloon, I think. Now I'm worried that I'm going to cause an epidemic of marked up sofas. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Todd
Only perform in houses with dark colored furniture...

But seriously, I have never had this ocurr... I wonder if the kid had gotten the ink/balloon wet before putting it on the couch?

Lyndel
Message: Posted by: Cholly, by golly! (Oct 24, 2008 07:48AM)
I use Dry erase markers on balloons.
If markers concern you try eye-stickers.

http://www.orientaltrading.com/ui/browse/processRequest.do?requestURI=processProductsCatalog&sku=57/6047&tabId=&BP=8067&cm_mmc=srchdex-_-1000+Jeepers+Creepers+Eye+Stickers-_-srchdex-_-srchdex&CM_REF=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Fsearch%3Fhl%3Den%26q%3Deye%2Bstickers%26aq%3Df%26oq%3D

peace,
phill
Message: Posted by: Bad to the Balloon (Oct 24, 2008 10:41AM)
I carry goof off with me. it comes in a small metal oil can like dispenser (the square type not the old fashion type) I will remove most marker from almost any surface. suggest put on a paper towel then wipe the surface. read the instructions, don't apply to skin.

Also it helps to refresh dull or dead markers. one drop on the tip.

On smooth surfaces you can us a dry erase marker over the top of permanent and wipe off.
Lyndel, I don't think the balloon was wet.
Wow, great suggestions everyone! I'm going to try out a dry erase marker, get some eye stickers, and check out that 'Goof-off' liquid.
Many thanks! Balloon sculptors are the best!
For those of youe who don't know, Sharpies reliquify when a balloon pops. I used Marks-a-lot for a while and they worked good but I couldn't stand the smell. So I'm back to Sharpies.

By the way, a pleasure to talk to you Todsky.
You too Lew!
Sharpies definately.
just the normal old sharpie.
the new push-system gets worn before you finished the ink.
also be careful for your clothes, better stay away from this one...
my opinion...
I think this is a real problem. I use paint pens and don't have a problem with re liquefying, but they need to dry before handout and smell a little. I would love to hear what the pro's are doing.
I've not had this happen yet. But now I'm going to stay really cautious and make sure that balloon is dry before I hand it out.

On a related note, I've started using the silver metallic sharpie markers on the dark balloons. It shows up better and looks really cool.
Message: Posted by: Bad to the Balloon (Apr 22, 2009 04:32PM)
Expo CLICK are great!! dry erase and I haven't seen the mark rub off on anyone yet.

BTW no cap to remove!!!
Sharpie never fully dries on balloons. If you draw on a balloon with one, wait three days, then deflate the balloon and touch the Sharpie part it will rub off on your fingers as if it were fresh.

But Sharpie looks the best, so I still use it. If you are concerned, switch to dry erase.