(Close Window)
Topic: Smoke and Mirrors
I recently picked up John Bannons Impossibillia and I think it's a fabulous book. Can anyone give me a review on his other book Smoke And Mirrors? Thanks.

Cheers,
Harv
You might want to search the forums as it's been discussed many times previously.

That being said, I think you'll find the consensus is that [i]Smoke and Mirrors[/i] is even better than [i]Impossibilia[/i].
I don't have Impossibilia. Smoke and Mirrors is a fantastic book. If you do a search, I think that you will see nothing but good things about this from other members as well. The tricks are all doable and are extremely effective. Some require special cards, but that shouldn't stop you from buying the book. It is one of the best I own. If you get it, look at Ace Man Cometh. I overlooked it originally because I thought it was simple. I tried it and people love it.

I have heard that John Bannon is bringing out a new book at Christmas time. Is this true?
Thanks guys. I did try the search engine and came up with a big Brass Zero. The budget is kind of limited at the moment so it's a choice between Smoke and Mirrors or Carneycopia. Any thoughs?

Cheers,
Harv
[quote]
On 2003-04-20 18:12, Harv wrote:
Thanks guys. I did try the search engine and came up with a big Brass Zero. [/quote]Make sure to search the "First year archive". I guarantee there is some comment on the book in that section. "Carneycopia" is also excellent, but I prefer the Bannon book overall.
There is some great stuff in Smoke and Mirrors. You should definitely get it.
As Smoke and Mirrors is primarily focused on card magic, that might help with your decision.
Smoke and mirrors is cool, cool, cool. Even better that his first book.
Thanks.
Message: Posted by: WanderingMagician (Apr 21, 2003 05:43PM)
I was lucky enough to have been presented with the Smoke and Mirrors and Impossibilia video tapes as a present. I think they are both terrific. Does anyone have both the tapes AND the books?

Based on the strength of the videos I would like to purchase the books too. I've heard some great reviews of his books (especially Smoke & Mirrors) but am concerned that most if not all of the strongest material is captured on the videos. Can anyone who has the books persuade me that I ought to buy the 2 books now too...not only because they are good books but also becuase there is lots of great material that I am currently missing out on because I only have the tapes. Usually the book has more material than the video. Is this the case here too?
I have heard that Smoke and Mirrors leaves Impossiblilia in the dust. I just had a friend let me borrow Smoke and Mirrors. One word for the book, "heavenly." Literally everything in it is just plain awesome. Almost all of it is extrememly practical and I was just amazed at how good the stuff was. Don't get it though, the material is too good to give away. My precious... :stare:

Hehe.

Andrew
[quote]
On 2003-04-21 18:43, WanderingMagician wrote:
Can anyone who has the books persuade me that I ought to buy the 2 books now too...not only because they are good books but also becuase there is lots of great material that I am currently missing out on because I only have the tapes. Usually the book has more material than the video. Is this the case here too?
[/quote]The books have plenty of material that is not on either of the two tapes.

While the tapes are excellent, everything in them and more is in the books.
The tapes are really good. You can tell Mr. Bannon is not a professional performer, but the tapes are definitely worthwhile if you are a John Bannon fan.

Get Smoke and Mirrors, you won't regret it if you like card magic.
John Bannon is brilliant! Both Impossibilia and Smoke & Mirrors are filled with excellent material. Smoke & Mirrors was one of the first books in my library and it remains my favorite of all of my magic books. Speaking of Bannon, I am in search of his first publication, "Mirage." If anyone would be interested in selling it used or if you know where I could find it used, it would be very greatly appreciated.

-Andini :coolspot:
Make sure you check out Impossiblia however. The first effect in the book 'Play it Straight' is a killer.

Check out: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=27434&forum=2
I have to agree with Adam V.
This is one fantastic book that must not be overlooked! Get it!
I am new to magic. Smoke and Mirrors is one of the few magic books I own (I'm up to about 10).

Having said that, it is a GREAT book. Just about every effect seems worth learning. Choosing which ones to learn first is the hard part.
Adam V - you've done it again. The best trick in the book has now been exposed, now everyone will be performing it...

I hope you're happy!!!
I am interested in Bannon's books and was just wondering about the composition of Smoke and Mirrors. I managed to find a table of contents for Impossibilia and it seems to be split about 50:50 between cards and coins.

Is Smoke and Mirrors set out in a similar way or a lot more focused on cards? Does anyone know where I could find a table of contents for Smoke and Mirrors?

Smoke and Mirrors focuses mostly on card material... using no gaffs. It's got two or three coin things and two gaffed card tricks but the rest you can do with a regular deck. It's an awesome book. And one of the gaffed card tricks (Tattoo You) is so good that using the required gaff will be worth it.
Great Book, Great Material, no reason at all not to get this. It contains Bannon's best stuff, magic of the very highest order.

The book contains full explanations of Bannon's marketed effects, Strangers Gallery, Detour De Force and Return of the Magnificent Seven, as well as many other commercial items.

Others have already singled out "Tattoo You" which is a wonderful effect, however, my favourite is "Directed Verdict", an excellent spectator cuts the aces.

This book should come with a money back guarantee, it really is that good.

Iain.
Message: Posted by: WanderingMagician (Jul 28, 2003 05:07PM)
This book is a tad heavy on card tricks. But then so what! The card tricks are really, really, really good. There's loads of stuff here that you will really, really, really use. On the strength of this I really must get my hands on his earlier book(s) too. And if rumours are correct that he might have another book coming out soon, I'll be on the look out for that one as well.
My favorite card book to date, without a doubt. Not a bad trick in the bunch, and the strength-to-difficulty ratio is incredibly high.

Quinn
Yes, if you haven't checked out "Play It Straight" you should. It's kind of funny when you "deduce" what card they are holding. First they sort of have this weird look on their face, and then they flip over the face card down cards and look for some sort of pattern. When they find none they get the weird look on their face again. :rotf:
A very very good book.
Brilliant,you can't go wrong with Bannon.
Andre
ajcombri@telkomsa.net
Everything's been said about this book. Find it, get it, digest it, enjoy it.
It's gonna be reprinted soon. Watch out for it and keep your eyes open.
Smoke and Mirrors is excellent! A very good buy!
Smoke And Mirrors is much better than Carneycopia.I own both of these books and Smoke and Mirrors is my 2nd favorite book after the AOA series.Carneycopia is good but not even close to S&M when it comes to effect that blow you away.
Andre