(Close Window)
Topic: Identify these cups
I recently had the privilige of coming across these cups. Aside from being stunningly beautiful, they fit my hands perfectly size- and weight wise, and I could not be happier.

However I have not been able to identify them yet - and I was hoping that one of the cup experts here would be kind enough to stop by and provide som insight.

Thank you in advance!

William
Picture?
http://img87.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cupslg5.jpg

...sorry, havn't really got the hang of this yet. There we go!
Maybe Johnson's in copper? My Brass Johnson's have a hallmark inside JPI think. Take alook
They are not Johnson Copper Cups. There were only 25 sets of those made, all with the JP hallmark. Also the cups in question were spun. Johnson Cups are machined from a billet.

Bill
No clue... But nice find... very nice cups.

They look kinda like Johnson coppers.. but the top is more rounded..

They look like sherwoods kinda with smaller beads..

They look like regular sized chick cups...

Squatty 2's...redheaded cousin????

Like I said I have not clue...

Shawn
I don't know who made these, either. I have a set of them in the Museum, which I took to the Magic Circle Centenary, and nobody there knew who made them, either. Maybe one day someone will recognize them.

They aren't Johnsons, and they aren't Sherwoods.
You might think this cups are squatty 2 or johnson because of the 3 shoulder bead,
but how can you think they are sherwoods when the have only 2 shoulders (beside the rim or lip)
I don't think anyone here thinks they're Sherwoods. They don't have that special saddle design either.

Pretty rough spun too. Might make for a nice texture, but it looks as there was no effort to polish out the spin marks.
They look like the JES Squatty 2 prototypes to me.
I say prototype due to the "rough spun" nature as Dave pointed out.
[img]http://rnt2.com/products/jes%20squatty%20ii%20cups%204.jpg[/img]
The spacing is different on the rings. Also, if these are the same cups I have, the metal is fairly lightweight for a copper cup.
These weigh about 110 grams, with a slight difference from cup to cup. How does that compare to other copper cups?
They're not JES 2 cups, the roller dad made spins all 3 beads in at the same time and there is no way to adjust them, they're a fixed set of rollers.

I'm not sure what Dave means by rough spin, they are really quite nice from a tooling line point of view. They look as if they were just polished with degreaser by hand after spinning rather than on a satin or abrasive wheel.
It does look like slight flaw just below the top ring.
I was just commenting on the grooves. You don't see those in highly polished cups like RNT2. Maybe rough was the wrong word.
Dave those are actually tooling lines from passes when spinning the copper on the form block. The polishing takes those lines out, a satin wheel will satin over them and essentialy just hide the tooling lines.

I didn't realize there was another picture, it looks as if they cracked the bead when rolling it in. I generally roll the shoulder beads in first because the metal has to go somewhere when you roll it, then roll the mouth bead on the cup.

I noticed that in between the beads there is a ledge left behind, these are really tough to avoid and polish out on cups when beading has this spacing restrictions.

So after seeing the second set of pictures, yes ROUGH is a very good word :)
There was a gentleman about 5-10 years who made some cups exclusivly for Chris Smith of Magic Smith. I believe his name was Fohrman (Forman only spelled differently)?

I believe these are his. I had a set many years ago when I collected cups, but since sold them.
Thanks. I have been trying to identify these cups for a long time. I'll put that down tentatively.
Actually I may need to correct myself. Although I still think they are Fohrman (I know I had a set EXACTLY like these), I did a search and the description doesn't match. Unless the description provided by http://magicref.tripod.com/magref/magcups.htm is out of date:

"Fohrman Cups. Bright Nickel or Gold Nickel flash plated with industrial gold as used on satellites. Designed with the working performer in mind. Each cup cut from a solid block of aluminum, polished, and electroless nickel plated to never tarnish, nick, or chip. Can take a tennis ball load. 6.75oz per cup. With four 1" red crotched balls, velvet drawstring bag. $330.00 Nickel, $495 Gold. Also available: Fohrman Jumbo Load Ball in Red or Green. 2.75 inch crotched tennis balls. $16 "

I'll call Chris and confirm. Thanks!
[quote]
On 2008-11-06 08:44, DJG wrote:
Each cup cut from a solid block of aluminum....6.75oz per cup.
[/quote]

Wow, that's pretty heavy for an aluminum cup!
The cups pictured were not cut from a block of metal. They were spun from a copper disc.

Bill
These probably aren't the Fohrman cups, unless he had someone do a run in spun copper. Mine won't take a tennis ball.

That pages is full of errors, by the way. It really needs updating.
I have a set of cups in a similar 3-ring style in a jumbo size. I bought them from a guy who believed he got them in the US in the 90's. Unfortunately, neither he nor I know who made these.
I have done a bit of researching, and apparently they are danish made. I have contacted the dealer I purchased them from to ask the name of the person who made them.

If these are indeed the same you have, Mr Palmer, I will be sure to let you know as well.
Please do. I have been wondering about these for a long time.
Alright... these cups were made by an older gentleman in Denmark. A total of ten sets were made. I purchased mine from a danish magic dealer, although I am sure they have found their way to other parts of the world as well.

Mystery solved! :)
They are really nice looking cups.
[quote]
On 2008-11-21 13:10, idstroem wrote:
Alright... these cups were made by an older gentleman in Denmark. A total of ten sets were made. I purchased mine from a danish magic dealer, although I am sure they have found their way to other parts of the world as well.

Mystery solved! :)
[/quote]

Do you have a name for the fellow who made them?
I am afraid not, sir. As my question was rather specific, I must assume that, for whatever reason, he does not want his name spread. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
That's okay. I know more about these cups than I did a couple of weeks ago!

Thanks, anyway.