(Close Window)
Topic: Favorite figuremaker?
Who is your favorite figuremaker?

I can't pick just one.....
It's so difficult to name just one because as I mature in the art of ventriloquism, I learn to appreciate a lot of stuff I never liked when I was just starting out. :)
Very hard question, and I also can't pick just one...

On the top of my list:

Hartz
Marshall
Mack
Semok
Guyll
My list...

Marshall
Mack
Selberg
Poyner

There are other fantastic figure makers like Mack, Guyll, Gilmer, Brose, Stevens, Cowles, Semok, Nelson, McRay, Detweiler, Alfaro etc but I have never actually tried their work...but their reputation preceds them...and I won't hesitate getting from them.

My wishlist... :)

Hartz
Guyll
Semok
I also agree that to pick just one is very hard. I have a selection from just about everyone and each figure has his own unique quality. I will say my list is :
McElroy &
Marshall
Dan
http://www.ventriloquistcentral.com
I wouldn't mind owning a McElroy.
I was fortunate to be able to handle Dave Pendleton's "Mack Elroy" in 2004 ~ and let me say that they are quite amazing!

I owned a Brant Gilmer McElroy style figure a few years ago and it was amazing as well. It featured floating eyes (all direction), shell winkers, raising eyebrows, upper lip sneer, moving mouth, wiggling ears...the works. I also owned an older Selberg MAX figure (with the Greg Krist 'fancy' controls) that had every movement available including wiggling nose, etc. You know what? They are neat collectors pieces and great novelties...but for effective manipulation all you need is a moving mouth...maybe s/s eyes. No one did it better than Bergen and that is all he used.

Just my .02.
Bill Nelson's figures are visually amazing. Of the major figure makers, I've only actually handled a Marshall and an Insull and I found the Marshall very comfortable to operate. The Insull was very well made too. In terms of appearance though, Bill Nelson, definitely. What an artist.
I agree Mr. Pitts.

Bill is my favorite artist!
[quote]
On 2008-12-10 14:30, Mr. Pitts wrote:
Bill Nelson, definitely. What an artist.
[/quote]

I agree.

I came across a kids book that had been beautifully illustrated by Bill Nelson and the characters in the book resemble his paint jobs on his vent figures precisely.
Alfred Alfaro-Imaginarium
I'm lucky enough to own two figures that Bill refinished. I've got Deeder, a Robert McRay Basswood Bighead and "10 o'clock Shadow" (renamed K.J.) that is a Kem Poyner figure. Bill did an incredible job on both of them. Deeder will be on my DVD when it comes out.
Mr Conrad Hartz is now in my list of faves :)

Both my Hartz figures have moving mouth only...but the mechanism is so precise and so smooth.
Wanlu,

what took you long????
I wanted a Mary Ann Taylor until I got my Wanlu old man. He is every bit as good. I enjoy working with him.
Thanks Neale...we got your suggestion and we will start working on it.

Thanks again... :)

Wanlu
[quote]
On 2009-01-17 15:53, creativemac wrote:
Wanlu,

what took you long????
[/quote]

Enough funds? :)
[quote]
On 2008-11-18 20:44, Wanlu wrote:

There are other fantastic figure makers like Mack, Guyll, Gilmer, Brose, Stevens, Cowles, Semok, Nelson, McRay, Detweiler, Alfaro etc but I have never actually tried their work...but their reputation preceds them...and I won't hesitate getting from them.

[/quote]

Mack? :)
I love Hartz, Mack, Marshall, Payes, Poyner and Selberg :)

It is so difficult to choose but if there is a gun on my head and I need to choose just one...without a doubt, it will be HARTZ :)

Wanlu :bigsmile:
I think I meant a gun pointed to my head :)

I'm an instant fan of Mr Hartz, the mouth mechanism of his figures are so quiet and precise. :)
Wanlu,

when I said "what took you so long?", I meant, what took you so long to acknowledge Conrad Hartz as your favorite. You should have just followed my lead.
Got it Donald :)

Mr Hartz is a living legend :) May God bless him...
All the above are good. I'm glad Neale mentioned MAT. The soft figure creators were being neglected. I'd add Verna Finly and, of course, AX!
I love FINLY, MAT and AXTELL...but I believe the term "figure" refers to hard vent puppets that's why no soft puppet makers were mentioned :)

Of course I could be wrong...

...but if there's a thread asking for "Favorite Soft puppet makers," I'm sure FINLY, MAT and AXTELL will top the list :)
You have to give Steve Axtell a huge mention as he has set so many of us off on an affordable route to ventriloquism. I waiting for my first hard figure, a Dan Payes old man from Wanlu. I have a wish list for a selberg or poyner but it's hard to get to try them in England.
Hi Colin,

Welcome to the Magic Café :)

Figures from Selberg and Poyner are very nice figures...our figures from Payes also have great character and never fail to crack people up...

But for me...Hartz will still top this list :)

As for Steve Axtell...he tops my list of soft puppet makers :) Not just because he makes great looking puppets but also because his customer service is commendable.
I'm one of those that were inspired by the great ones...Bergen, Winchell and Nelson, amongst others.

Try as I might to get into the "cutsey" type figures that are the current rage....I just can't, and am a "Marshall style man", that's for sure...

As they say on the Brady Bunch, "Marshall Marshall, Marshall"!

I recently purchased a Ray Guyll figure, very Marshall style, that is probably as close as I can get these days to a true classic Marshall look on by budget anyway... ; )

I am hoping to find a Mortimer style figure, perhaps a Hartz...

AC
Hi AC,

Congratulations on the new Guyll figure :) Please try to post some photos soon :)

Wanlu :)
Hi Wanlu,

I'm a total non computer type, and will have to figure out how to get photos in here when I get the time. This Guyll figure reminds me a bit of Danny O'Day, with his impish grin....a very classic Marshall look and paint job for sure.... and to me, has much more character than other simliar figures I looked into recently, that we spoke of previously. ; )

But we all have our preferences, that's what makes the world go round! I hope in the future to get an actual real Marshall or two.... woo hoo!

AC
AC you will have to beat me out of those Marshall figures first!! LOL
Ray made the Johnny Marshall which is a great figure. He molded the face from the Marshall that was originally owned by Captain Dick of the dummy depot.
Dan
Hi Dan,

Thanks for the info on the Guyll figure. I looked into dozens of figures recently, and this one instantly struck me as something I really liked, even though I had to spend about four times my budget to get him! I will be existing on bread and water for a while, while he sits here and laughs at me...

I'm going to do a photo shoot with my new figures soon, and will submit a pic to your VentSpace gallery!

Ahhh, finding an actual "real" Marshall....I don't want (or can afford) a roomful...just one little Marshall would make me happy. ; )

Maybe when I get that dream gig of opening for Terry Fator in Vegas...hehehe

AC
AC From your lips to HIS ears!! Amen!! Just send the pictures and I will add them to the gallery!!
Dan