(Close Window)
Topic: Quarters, dimes, nickels, pennies
What tricks does everyone do with normal change like quarters, dimes, nickels, or pennies? thanks in Advance!!
A good book to look into is Jim Buffalo's
"buffalo'd"

A lot of magic concerning spare change that we currently use, as opposed to half dollars and dollars.

Some good stuff on, On the Spot video too.
On Michael Ammar's Easy to Master Money Miracles Volume 1 has an excellent trick entitled the 41 cent miracle.

I also, have a gimmicked nickel with a nail on it... but that is more of a gag than a magic effect.

:spinningcoin:
The first thing I do is turn them into dollars and half dollars. ;)
LOLOLOLL Curtis that was funny!!! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Nothing solves the problem faster. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Well Reed and Curtis us normal magicians aren't loaded like you guys, so we can't afford your 'high roller' tricks. Gary Kurtz has an effect called "the Anticipator", it is a great little routine. Mr. Kam also has his 21 cent murder mystery.

Lee
Try the following, off the top of my head:

1) "Tenkai Pennies"

2) "Irelands' Penny Dropper Routine" (Who knows what this is? - if you don't know, you are missing a killer routine! You change a borrowed quarter to a nickel, then produce twenty pennies to make up for what you owe them after returning their coin - used to be done with a half, when you could borrow them, and the silent production of 45 pennies from nowhere is stunning!)

3) Mike Rogers' "Pouring Pennies Thru Table"

4) Larry Jennings "22 Cent Trick"

5) "Millikens Transposition"

6) "Protean Coin", Milt Kort

7) "Nickels to Dimes" - Tarbell #7

8) Roy Johnson - a trick with a penny and a quarter, where you produce a bottle of perfume at the end - it is a game where they guess if you have the quarter or the cent in your hand - in the end they guess the cent and they are right, you have - the "scent" - get it? This is a terrific trick for close-up for the ladies - you give the perfume away at the end, and it is really cute and impossible looking too!

I could go on, but I'm not giving all the good stuff away! This is enough to get you started, and it is the stuff I really use all the time - can't do much better than that!

Best, PSC
Where can we find Ireland's penny dropper routine?

Stedwick
It was originally marketed by Laurie Ireland, Frances Marshalls' first husband, when Magic, Inc. in Chicago was still Irelands Magic. I have no idea if the effect is still available, but used magic dealers may be able to supply you with the necessary "stuff". If not, I could describe it to you and it would not be all that hard to make. If you check around and can't find it let me know and I'll supply the details.

Best, PSC
[quote]
On 2003-04-23 17:00, pchosse wrote:
Try the following, off the top of my head:

"Irelands' Penny Dropper Routine" (Who knows what this is? - if you don't know, you are missing a killer routine!
[/quote]

I agree it's great! Believe it or not, I first saw this performed by Jack Birnman (yup, the card man) about 25 years ago and he blew away an entire room full of magicians, including me. Back then Allan Hayden had one and wasn't using it so gave it to me and it's been sitting in a drawer ever since... time to dust that bad boy off.
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Apr 23, 2003 06:14PM)
Quarters...
That would be the c/s transpo, cig through and of course the coins across :bg:
Other than the 21 cent trick, I can't say I went crazy for magic with small change. Mostly due to handling difficulty vs visibility limits. -Jonathan
I believe there is some really cool stuff using ordinary change in the "Impromptu Encyclopedia of Magic" by Martin Gardner. If you like gimmicks, "Dime and Penny" is a short and sweet effect with ordinary change. My favorite would have to be "Tenkai Pennies." This trick is truly impromptu, is easy to do, and gets REALLY good reactions. This is something I do when I am asked to do magic right then and there.

Andrew
One of my favourite tricks is Scotch and Soda, + The French Drop. :spinningcoin:
Scotch and soda uses a half dollar and a Mexican centavo. I thought at least...
Maybe I am wrong, I haven't played with a Scotch and Soda for a long time.

Andrew
Andrew:
I understood from Bubba Boy 87 that he enjoys watching the S$S coin trick performed by a French magician.

The trick is the same all it changes is the performer.

Mago Mai
Greg Wilson has an impromptu Scotch and Soda called "a questionable trick" on his "On the Spot Video". The effect is as follows
Magician shows a dime and a penny to the spectator. The coins are placed into the spectator's hand and has the spectator remove one coin which is placed on the back of the spectators hand. The magician makes the coins change place.