(Close Window)
Topic: New Stage Hypnosis Course
Message: Posted by: makethemagichappen (Nov 24, 2008 05:21PM)
Has anyone bought this course yet? http://www.stagehypnosisuniversity.com ?
I'm in the market for a comprehensive training course for Stage hypnotism and this product is by far the best looking one I've seen. Just wondering if anyone has purchased it or knows someone who has, it really looks good.
Message: Posted by: Dannydoyle (Nov 24, 2008 07:46PM)
Wow 2 posts. Let me guess it is your course right?
Message: Posted by: makethemagichappen (Nov 24, 2008 08:01PM)
Nope. Just looking for some help. Wasn't sure which forum was more relevant. There are a ton of hypnosis training products on the market and I have been debating whether or not I want to pursue it so I have been patiently researching. I joined the Café to try and find out more. This product in particular is over a $1000 so I want to find out as much as I can. If you know anyone that has bought this or similar products please let me know. Thank you all!
Message: Posted by: JohnCressman (Nov 24, 2008 11:18PM)
I bought Geoff's course on DVD and liked it so much, I went to the live training. I just did my first show last month and it went over great. Geoff's course gives you everything you need to do a show except a set of balls.

If you have the balls, everything else you do a show is in those DVDs. I've watched them about 3 times each.

If you want to know more, PM me and we can exchange numbers.
Message: Posted by: martin king (Nov 25, 2008 02:19AM)
Listen to my new friend Mr Cressman about Mr Geoff Ronning...Mr Cressman know's what he's talking about!

Warmest regards,

Martin

P.S. I only have Mr Ronning's hardbound book, but the information contained within is dynamite!
Message: Posted by: dmkraig (Nov 25, 2008 09:56AM)
It's certainly a great advertising page.
Message: Posted by: James Hazlerig (Nov 25, 2008 10:24AM)
That is a very slick sales page, but I have to admit I've never heard of this program.

I have run into quite a few people who recommend Geoff Ronning's. Like Martin, all I have is the book (which I got on sale at HypnoHeist.com), and it's excellent. I used to dream about having the cash to spend on expensive training, but I really feel that the book was a better investment.

It's also worth mentioning that Jerry Valley and Tommy Vee are doing a seminar in Louisiana this February--a great chance for live training if you don't want to go the GR route.
Message: Posted by: mindpunisher (Nov 25, 2008 11:10AM)
The race is on to milk as much money from stage hypnosis as possible. There will be more courses on the way I'm sure of it.

Unfortunately eventualy this will devalue hypnosis as a career route.
I forsee the best career route in the forseable future will be running courses.

Perhaps it will take longer in the US than it did in the UK since its a much bigger place. But eventually there will be so many wannabe's that the market will implode.
Message: Posted by: JohnCressman (Nov 25, 2008 01:12PM)
As I mentioned, I actually have the full DVD set, all 13 - 14 DVDs. Basically, it's a recorded session of his normal 3 day intensive hypnosis training. Having gone through the live training as well, I would say you get about 85% of the live training.

I really did the live training for the hands on experience - more for my own fears, than lack of information in the DVDs.

Geoff's EKG induction is fast and powerful and I had people knocked out on my very first show.

I've looked at Marshal Sylver's programs too and they are very good... but much more expensive and I don't agree with everything he suggests. But I'm sure it works for some people.
Message: Posted by: dmkraig (Nov 25, 2008 02:54PM)
I'd just like to throw in my 2 centavos.

When it comes to hypnosis, there's just so much you can learn from videos, audios, and books. I would contend that getting a hands-on training--even a "weekend wonder" hypnotherapy class--is vital. You can learn all ABOUT stage hypnosis from these sources, but to actually learn to DO it requires practice with people, and the best way to gain such experience, IMO, is through an in-person training. You might read something a dozen times and see it two dozen times, but if you try it and get something wrong, you could fail. One failure can yield a habit of failure. On the other hand, a question to an instructor and a quick correction can make everything clear and begin the habit of success.

I haven't seen this particular set of DVDs or Sylver's or Ronnings. I have stacks of others. One is a series of videotapes from a trainer who gives all sorts of great information. The final tape is of him giving a performance--he's terrible. One of the worst stage hypnotists I've ever seen. So my point here is that if you take books, videos and audios as complementary to in-person trainings, you can learn something of value even from the worst ones out there.

Finally, there are a couple of things I'd like to suggest for any aspiring stage hypnotist (or mentalist or magician, for that matter). Take some basic courses in acting. Learn how to walk across the stage. Learn how to "own" the stage. Learn how not to turn your back to the audience. All of this should be covered in basic stage acting courses. If you take anything in (Stanislavski) "Method" acting, learn about the concept of "rays" and how they're important. Local community colleges have such courses at very low prices.

Take some basic courses in public speaking. Learn how to talk--both with a script and extemporaneously--in front of an audience. Toastmasters International has such classes and gives you enjoyable experiences in public speaking for next to nothing. There is probably a Toastmasters club in your area.

Finally, take some courses in basic business and bookkeeping. Again, these can be had inexpensively through community colleges. Learn about advertising, publicity, networking, and how to keep financial books.
Message: Posted by: MagicalPirate (Nov 26, 2008 12:20AM)
Michael C. Anthony is from Charleston, SC not from Canada so he is not the one you have seen.

Martin :pirate:
Message: Posted by: makethemagichappen (Nov 26, 2008 01:25AM)
Thanks for the insight everyone. I appreciate it. I can see the benefits to the live seminars, but Im having enough trouble convincing the wifee the home courses are worth it, let alone airfair, hotel, meals, etc. I really think there is money to be made in comedy hypnosis. I know of a few guys making a few grand a show and they aren't the least bit funny. I'm hoping my wifee will buy me a program (or two) for Christmas, I'll keep you posted on what I end up getting. This University one says it will tell you how to get an agent and book a show which is probably just as important as how to hypnotize someone. Its definitely the best looking product I've seen, but that doesn't always mean it's the best. If anyone else has more info please share. Thanks all!
Message: Posted by: asithlord (Nov 26, 2008 05:14PM)
Couple of grand a show?
where?
ill have to go there
Message: Posted by: MagicalPirate (Nov 27, 2008 08:03PM)
Okay MakeTheMagicHappen, here is Geoffrey Ronning's Home Study Course. It is only $795 a $500 savings. He will also teach how to get shows.

http://www.stagehypnosiscenter.com/products/item25.cfm

James I also have Ronnings book, but I invested in his other products prior to buying his book. It is an adjunct to McGill's encyclopedia and in a lot of ways is much better. That said, learning to be a stage hypnotist is much better learned by listening and viewing than just reading about it. It was when I added DVD's to the mix that I got out there and did the shows and did them successfully. If you want to learn inexpensively, I've recommended before and will again Gene Martin's Dave Elman DVD's:


That and collecting show videos of as many hypnotists as I could was the foundation for my starting in the business.


Martin :pirate:
Message: Posted by: MagicalPirate (Nov 29, 2008 05:14PM)
Since my last post was edited you can find those resources here:

http://www.thehypnoguy.com/getstarted

Martin :pirate:
Message: Posted by: Jon Dee (Nov 30, 2008 09:18AM)
I am a fan of Ronning as well. I did the live training in Vegas and have spent thousands on home trainings and am currently in the mentor program with Geoff. If you are willing to pay the price that Geoff charges then you are probably serious enough to put in the work to make it happen. I have always felt that Geoff's products were well worth the money once I got into them and each and every product has made me more money than it cost in a short amount of time. To make a long story short Geoff has turned me into a full time stage hypnotist and his knowledge is vast.

I also agree with dmkraig on the non hypnosis abilities that must be gained.

Good Luck,

Jon Dee
Message: Posted by: gmindmagic (Apr 8, 2009 06:33PM)
I know this is actually and old topic, but is there anyone who actually purchased this course who could give an overall review.

Thank you in advance
Message: Posted by: mindpunisher (Apr 9, 2009 05:33AM)
Not another peddlar driving another nail into the coffin of the hypnosis market.

If the market was that good trust me they wouldn't be selling courses. The market is being flooded by newbies all being sold a croc of crap.

Selling courses dvds is about the easiest way to make money from hypnosis just now. Its much easier than performing since everyone wants to be a hypnotist thanks to these courses.

Ask Danny what would the chances be of a Newbie starting in his neck of the woods?
The markets that are still workable are established. And others are being destroyed by the huge number of newbies working for peanuts.

The ones who are making money are the sellout artists selling cheap and expensive courses.

Most of you are 5 to 10 years to late
Message: Posted by: Dannydoyle (Apr 9, 2009 07:18AM)
While MP is right about not using newbie hypnotists per se, it does not mean that one should not learn somewhere and go out and gain experience. Time tends to seporate the wheat from the chaff so to speak.

I think on some level much of what is offered, (I mention no course in particular) can be what MP says. Hypnotists who can not make money doing shows. Some of what is offered is like Richard Nongard who does collaberations with already very busy hypnotists and offers information. This is obviously a very high level of information from many who have been there and done that. Richard him self is a very busy hypnotist and does as many shows as he wants too.

The better courses (I do not claim any one is BEST) never make claims about doing shows next week. I think it is important to know with any course even when you finish the course you enter the market at an entery level position. You will then be on your own to succede or fail as your actions see fit. How good or how bad your show is will be what carries you through the next part of your career.

If you are a bad magician who can not get booked and think simply expanding to hypnosis will open new markets, odds are you will be a bad hypnotist who can not get booked.

There are LOTS of markets out there which are just waiting for a hypnotist with vision and enough guts to make a go of it.

I do agree with MP on another point. It is 5-10 years too late to ride the wave of popularity and be mediorcre and be able to get away with it and make a good living. Those times have indeed passed us by. While I do not believe a market can be "destroyed" by anyone, I do think that the tolerance for bad entertainment is just not there. I think people see enough BAD work out there and want to see good work. This means you had better be good to keep working. It raises the bar.

The other point is that if hypnosis is to survive as an entertainment medium in the future, new people MUST LEARN! I think much of what is offered is a great way to decide if it is something you wish to do. Sort of get rid of some of the myths and BS that surrounds the art form.

Much of what is sold is just people seeking knowlege, they posess a curiosity and never intend to go to the stage with it in the first place. Just like they hobby magician, in my view no harm no foul really. After all is this not the beauty of hypnosis in the first place? NO SECRETS. Sort of like juggling. It is out there and it is what it is so if more people know what it is there is no harm in it. Heck on some level it helps it.

Just some thoughts and I am not bashing any one course or person. It is just too easy to me to paint all of them with one brush without having seen all of them. Plus as I said, new hypnotists have to come from SOMEWHERE. We live in a new age, it is only natural they come from new places.
Message: Posted by: bobser (Apr 9, 2009 11:30AM)
[quote]
On 2009-04-09 08:18, Dannydoyle wrote:
If you are a bad magician who can not get booked and think simply expanding to hypnosis will open new markets, odds are you will be a bad hypnotist who can not get booked.
[/quote]

Now that just has to be nothng more than the simple truth.
Message: Posted by: mindpunisher (Apr 9, 2009 12:01PM)
Markets are destroyed all the time by flooding with operators. Its a natural life cycle that exists in many industries and is common.

I stand to make a lot more money doing what I am doing now than doing shows. If I was medicore around 10 years full time pro then I was probably one of the best paid mediocre performers Ive ever met.

The fact is hypnosis largely successful due to cornering successsful venue's and milking them. Its more important to be a good marketer than a good hypnotist. There are more than enough good hypnotists around. Its the one's with the marketing machines that make the money. Or the one's that have cornered the key venue's.

One example is Paul Mckenna. He was a radio one DJ before becoming a hypnotist. From the very start he had the same pr company as the rolling stones behind him. Without that he would've remained in relative obscurity.

Hypnosis one of those things where talent is not the top quality. Its about luck timing and getting in key positions.

Although some people are cliaming its making a come back here Ive not seen any evidence whatsoever. And I can't see it happening for a long long long time.

If doing the odd rare pub show for a couple of hundred pounds is your thing then I reckon you could get excited.

In actual fact Robert halpern was a failed childrens entertainer. He went into hypnosis because it was "common" knowledge that failed entertainers could make it in hypnosis. he made millions because his timing was right.

I know this to be the case because his manager told me as approached me asking to manage me.

Hypnosis performance doesn't need a hige amount of talent just know how. That is the big secret. The rest is marketing and opportunity.

If Danny moved here he would fall flat on his face. He's found a bubble that can be sustained. Most of those expensive courses promising you big fees and a big career are ********ting you into parting with your money.

You've missed the boat.

When times were good no one in those key positions would want to train anyone. It was far more lucrative to keep the market to yourself. When times are bad they want to sell you any secret they can because its more valuable to sell them.

Its true I can't make what I would consider good money over here. But niether can Mckenna or Andrew Newton even with their marketing machines.

Despite what you may want to believe it doesn't take that much talent. My venue in my home town I was more successful than Newton, Powers and Halpern who all played the same venue but never sold as many tickets. Again I know this because Halpern's old manager did his homework before he approached me and that is what he told me. There ha been a string of other hypnotist also and I had been the most successful of all of them.

Why? Because my timing was right and my marketing which I had full control over due to it being my home town.
Message: Posted by: kingjay (Apr 9, 2009 05:07PM)
Wow .... touchy subject I guess..some bitter dudes on here... heres my 2 cents ... if youve got cash to spare.. get the course.. if not.. theres plenty other ways to learn... if your on a budget, look into nongards stuff (once again: the dvd w/ stokes is the easiest way to learn a stage show) .. a group live training is great too, (but not always all that).. geoffs book is great, more up to date... good luck
Message: Posted by: dmkraig (Apr 9, 2009 05:23PM)
[quote]
On 2009-04-09 13:01, mindpunisher wrote:
Hypnosis performance doesn't need a hige amount of talent just know how. That is the big secret. The rest is marketing and opportunity.
[/quote]

The same could be said about just about any area of entertainment.
Message: Posted by: mindpunisher (Apr 9, 2009 06:10PM)
Not really. For a singer or to get paid they need a considerable amount of talent. For a hypnotist to get paid they just need to master the mechanics. To reach the top you need a modicum of talent and good marketing. And also get into key positions in the market. A hypnotist is unlike most entertainers in that a hypnotist is a hypnotist while other forms of entertainment are more geared towards the individual talent.

Most bookers will go for the cheapest in a market over run with operators. This is a fact.

As for being bitter. I am taking a detached business view of the market. Its basic business and marketing principles as well as simple logic. When I was doing stage shows I had a detached logical mind also.

These hyped up courses promising you a lucrative career are designed to sell courses. And the more that spring up (including dvds and products)the less chance of you being able to achieve that. Its simply untrue to say that hypnosis or any market can withstand an ever increasing flood of operators. Eventually it will crash. that's the plain truth. IN ANY BUSINESS.

Im not saying you should or shouldn't go on the expensive courses. That not for me to say. What I am doing here putting some balance into the thread. I have no motivations other than to share what I know.
Message: Posted by: kingjay (Apr 9, 2009 09:16PM)
I just looked at the guys site.. super slick .. if his show schedule is true, ***! crazy mad cash! booked that much across the country.. he's doing something right.. nice
Message: Posted by: bobser (Apr 10, 2009 12:29PM)
[quote]
On 2009-04-09 22:16, kingjay wrote:
he's doing something right.. nice
[/quote]

Or presenting something right.. very nice
Message: Posted by: Dannydoyle (Apr 10, 2009 11:41PM)
He seems to be happy with what he is doing, and not constantly putting up negative comments and acting bitter on the internet.

(Incidently MP I NEVER called you mediocre)
Message: Posted by: CARNEGIE (Apr 13, 2009 08:46AM)
Hi all,
Let me state first that I am not a hypnotist. I don't have the course either. But one of my good friends who was a well known children's enterterainer purchased Michael C. Anthony's Course. He didn't know the first thing about hypnosis when he started. That was a year ago and he has done over 30 shows so far. He has a dozen more booked before the summer starts. So in his instance The Stage Hypnosis University program was very successful for him.

Dean Carnegie
Message: Posted by: dmkraig (Apr 13, 2009 10:47AM)
[quote]
On 2009-04-09 19:10, mindpunisher wrote:
Not really. For a singer or to get paid they need a considerable amount of talent.
[/quote]

Uh, not really. Singers and bands have been marketed (usually to younger girls) and made fortunes.

I own a device made by a company called Antares that automatically and instantly corrects an out of pitch voice (or guitar note, etc.) and makes it perfect. There are devices that can take a thin voice and make it thicker and fuller. Combine this with dance trainers, coaches to tell performers what to say and planted articles and you can still have huge hits and successful concerts. When they were starting out, the manager of the Beatles handed out money to girls to come and scream when they appeared.
Message: Posted by: Dannydoyle (Apr 13, 2009 11:07AM)
Yea I thought that analogy was a bit weak as well.
Message: Posted by: mindpunisher (Apr 13, 2009 11:23AM)
[quote]
On 2009-04-13 11:47, dmkraig wrote:
[quote]
On 2009-04-09 19:10, mindpunisher wrote:
Not really. For a singer or to get paid they need a considerable amount of talent.
[/quote]

Uh, not really. Singers and bands have been marketed (usually to younger girls) and made fortunes.

I own a device made by a company called Antares that automatically and instantly corrects an out of pitch voice (or guitar note, etc.) and makes it perfect. There are devices that can take a thin voice and make it thicker and fuller. Combine this with dance trainers, coaches to tell performers what to say and planted articles and you can still have huge hits and successful concerts. When they were starting out, the manager of the Beatles handed out money to girls to come and scream when they appeared.
[/quote]

Are you saying the beatles had no talent and never practiced? Or that their manager had no talent as a marketer of bands? Coaches do they not have talent? have they not practised for years in order to coach media personalities? These things are not within the reach of every band.

So are you saying then all we need is to pay someone to scream and we will be successful?

Your point only renforces what I said. Top singers take a lot of practice and whole range of talents to make them famous.

If you read the sales page of the course even that agrees with me.

The beatles had all of the above and one more very important element. Their timing was dead on. They also had some luck on their side. Years after as that market begins to peak then subside all the copy cat wannabees surface and go out and play for pea nuts until that style is no longer marketable.

Then the process starts again with something new and fresh. Being new and fresh and spotting the opportunity also takes hard work and talent.

With stage hypnosis you can get by on a modicum of talent. Its not difficult to learn. However to make it big you do need to get your timing right. Once the market is flooded then its unlikely you will get the space to achieve it.

Gee theres me being bitter and negative again. Maybe I should join fairy land with some of you on here and live happily ever after.
Message: Posted by: Dannydoyle (Apr 13, 2009 12:39PM)
All he was saying is that it does not take as much talent to be a singer as it used too.

Ask Mili Vanilli. Or the many who actually lip synch through the songs and concerts. Certainly Ashlee Sipmson was popular when she got caught.

Did not Elton John go after Madonna for lip synching?

As I said the comparison is weak.

As a matter of fact PICK a boy band in the past 20 years! Most are mediocre talent pushed by companies.

If you took your bitter cynical attitude you have for hypnosis and applied it across the board to other art forms, you would be outraged by these things. But your only goal seems to be to bash hypnosis in general except for how and where you do it that is.

Nobody was ever as good as you were, or will ever be as good as you were. We get it already and it is getting old. We get it you used to command high fees and for whatever reason, somoene ruined it for you and now the entertainment medium of hypnosis sucks and always will be low brow. Now despite every post you make being filled with bitterness, you are happy in what you were forced to turn to in order to make a living. Oh and you speak for the world. Give it a rest.
Message: Posted by: mindpunisher (Apr 13, 2009 01:08PM)
[quote]
On 2009-04-13 13:39, Dannydoyle wrote:
All he was saying is that it does not take as much talent to be a singer as it used too.

Ask Mili Vanilli. Or the many who actually lip synch through the songs and concerts. Certainly Ashlee Sipmson was popular when she got caught.

Did not Elton John go after Madonna for lip synching?

As I said the comparison is weak.

As a matter of fact PICK a boy band in the past 20 years! Most are mediocre talent pushed by companies.

If you took your bitter cynical attitude you have for hypnosis and applied it across the board to other art forms, you would be outraged by these things. But your only goal seems to be to bash hypnosis in general except for how and where you do it that is.

Nobody was ever as good as you were, or will ever be as good as you were. We get it already and it is getting old. We get it you used to command high fees and for whatever reason, somoene ruined it for you and now the entertainment medium of hypnosis sucks and always will be low brow. Now despite every post you make being filled with bitterness, you are happy in what you were forced to turn to in order to make a living. Oh and you speak for the world. Give it a rest.
[/quote]

Again your interpetation is way off. I don't see any courses online teaching you how to become Manili Vanilli or a popstar. So I reckon despite what you say its not that easy?

However there are dozens teachng stage hypnosis products. Therefore It would be safe to deduce that stage hypnosis is easier to learn.

Where am I bashing stage hypnosis. I saod that the big secret is that its relatively easy to learn compared to most things. I would guess 80% or more on here couldn't make it as a singer but with a bit of application and luck could make it as a stage hypnotist.

Again go back and read the sales page of the course this thread is about. I actually agree with him on this point. I agree with him on a lot of the things said on the sales page.

The onlt thing I don't agree with is that the market is an infinate bottonless pit that will sustain everyman an and his dog. Now where am I bashing hypnosis? I don't see what you are seeing Danny?

Perhaps you prefer to believe that to be a stage hypnotist it takes special powers or talent I don't know? I have nothing against hypnosis infact I love it. However Ive made it clear many times I hate the cheap mass marketing of it.

I have also made statements about the dynamics of a market which would apply to any market. Why you should react the way you do is beside me.

I don't speak for the world I speak for myself. Why would I give it a rest? This a forum its called contributing. If you don't like it stay up later and try to think of smarter comebacks. Or just learn to put up with it much like I put up with you.

Except you usually end up looking a bit sillier. Maybe that's whats making you bitter? I have to say youve made me smile many a time with your feeble attempts to have ago at me. Maybe you should give it a rest?
Message: Posted by: dmkraig (Apr 13, 2009 02:00PM)
[quote]
On 2009-04-13 14:08, mindpunisher wrote:

---Again your interpetation is way off. I don't see any courses online teaching you how to become Manili Vanilli or a popstar. So I reckon despite what you say its not that easy?


That's because the most important thing it take to make a music star is money and a producer and a manager who know what they're doing. And perhaps they're not advertising on line. I live in Los Angeles and see lots of local ads for such things requiring only a cute face and figure.


---However there are dozens teachng stage hypnosis products. Therefore It would be safe to deduce that stage hypnosis is easier to learn.


Just about everyone takes courses in mathematics when they're in schools. Surprisingly, only a small percentage of them become mathematicians! And for every hundred people who buy a stage hypnosis product, if just one goes into the profession that's a lot!


---Where am I bashing stage hypnosis. I saod that the big secret is that its relatively easy to learn compared to most things. I would guess 80% or more on here couldn't make it as a singer but with a bit of application and luck could make it as a stage hypnotist.

Define what you mean as "make it." By my definition, 80% here could easily make it as a singer with a bit of application and luck.


---The onlt thing I don't agree with is that the market is an infinate bottonless pit that will sustain everyman an and his dog.

I agree. But I see no evidence that every man and his dog are trying to get into the market. And don't forget the women!
Message: Posted by: mindpunisher (Apr 13, 2009 02:12PM)
Making it is quite easy.

By getting up and doing a stage hypnosis show successfully and getting paid for it.

Personally I could never get anyone to pay me for singing. I doubt very much despite the weak arguments that the majority on here could. But the majority could get hypnosis work so long as the market was kicking where they are.

Do a search on youtube you might even find a dog doing hypnosis.

Despite the ads you talk about. Most people who get paid for live singing gigs can actually sing. Even at the bottom end of the market they can sing a lot better than me or most people I know.

The school reference to maths isn't really relevant since school is something we must do. And by definition is academic rather than practical.

I have no figures on the percentage of those that go on to do paid shows from these courses. I only say that the majority of them should they have the opportunity could pull off paid shows. Of course I could be wrong and over modest on my own ability and talent.

Also the singers thing: manufactured puppets are really not in the same catagory of true singers anyway. However they still rely on the talent and contacts of the promoters.
Message: Posted by: Dannydoyle (Apr 13, 2009 03:47PM)
Are you naive enough to believe EVERYONE who buys the courses is attempting to become a stage hypnotist?

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=285894&forum=22&34&start=30

They claim for $200 you can learn to sing. Have HUGE names like Taylor Swift.
Message: Posted by: dmkraig (Apr 14, 2009 12:18PM)
[quote]
On 2009-04-13 15:12, mindpunisher wrote:
Making it is quite easy.

By getting up and doing a stage hypnosis show successfully and getting paid for it.[/quote]

I don't know if you've been to any clubs lately, but I've seen LOTS of singers who are horrible but who do shows and get paid for it. Success≠skill or quality.

[quote]Personally I could never get anyone to pay me for singing. I doubt very much despite the weak arguments that the majority on here could. But the majority could get hypnosis work so long as the market was kicking where they are.[/quote]

It would be easy to take a recording of you attempting to sing, do pitch correction, vocal thickening, echo, reverb, mix in with a band, and make you (or anyone else) sound like a professional. With a good producer you could lip sync your way to live success.

Respectfully, MP, stick to what you know, not what you don't know.


[quote]Despite the ads you talk about. Most people who get paid for live singing gigs can actually sing. Even at the bottom end of the market they can sing a lot better than me or most people I know.[/quote]

Like I wrote, you haven't been to many clubs lately! I seen people who can't sing become stars and people who are amazing singers never make it. When it comes to singing, you just don't know what you're talking about.


[quote]The school reference to maths isn't really relevant since school is something we must do. And by definition is academic rather than practical.[/quote]

On the contrary. It's completely relevant. Your posted assumption is that because there were lots of classes teaching hypnosis, people taking those classes must be becoming stage hypnotists. I'm pointing out that just because people take classes doesn't mean they'll ever use that information.

Further, you totally ignore the fact that to be a good hypnotist--IMO, at least--is about lifetime learning. You're assuming that every person who buys into a course is a new person trying to become a professional entertainer. I would suggest that a great many of those who take numerous courses from different suppliers are the same people looking for additional information that can either help them in their skills or give them the push to finally go pro--it's not a bunch of new people, many are the same people just buying from multiple sources. Further, I'm maintaining that most of the people who take the courses and may intend to become professionals never go through with it.

[quote]I have no figures on the percentage of those that go on to do paid shows from these courses. I only say that the majority of them should they have the opportunity could pull off paid shows. Of course I could be wrong and over modest on my own ability and talent. [/quote]

And without commenting on your ability and talent, you claims on others is 100% wrong. There's a big difference between theoretical knowledge of how to do a show and having the ability to pull it off. The number one fear of people is speaking in front of others. More people fear it than they fear dying. Based on that fact alone, most of the people who take those courses would be too fearful to set foot on stage.

[quote]Also the singers thing: manufactured puppets are really not in the same catagory of true singers anyway. However they still rely on the talent and contacts of the promoters.
[/quote]

Hmm. Here in the U.S. we refer to what you're doing as "moving the goal posts." When it's clear that you're on the losing side of an argument, rather than admit it you attempt to change the argument. In this case, from talking about "successful singers," you change this to "true singers" and "manufactured puppets." Well, you can change the argument all you like, but the fact is when it comes to singers and the music industry, you don't know what you're talking about.
Message: Posted by: bobser (Apr 14, 2009 05:51PM)
Changing this ever so slightly, I'd like to think I'm a very good singer and very good at hypnotising people.
The thing is; singing for me is incredibly simple and yet I couldn't teach anyone how to do it... other than take someone who is already good and do some voice coaching, teaching them how and when to do a vibrato in a ballad, incoherently rasp in a rock song or bend a note on a slow blues number. But yet I would very comfortably take someone (with performance skills) and teach them hypnosis in either clinical or stage to a level where I'd expect them to pull it off to a watching audience.
As I read through what I've just written, if what I've written is true, and I believe it is, then I've ended up totally disagreeing with what I 'thought' I was going to say (LOL)!
Maybe the singing thing is obvious but also maybe there's more to being a hypnotist than meets the eye. John Chase, in his book Deeper & Deeper, wrote: "I can't teach you talent". I remember thinking of it as a WOW moment (I love WOW moments) when I read it and instantly agreed with him.

bobser
Message: Posted by: Decomposed (Apr 14, 2009 07:58PM)
"I can't teach you talent"

Ha, so true and profound. Thanks, I needed that.

Candin
Message: Posted by: RobertTemple (Apr 15, 2009 04:01AM)
I haven't really heard of this guy before, however the course looks pretty comprehensive and its an impressive sales page.
Message: Posted by: Brent McLeod (Feb 28, 2010 02:01AM)
[quote]
On 2009-04-09 13:01, mindpunisher wrote:

The fact is hypnosis largely successful due to cornering successsful venue's and milking them. Its more important to be a good marketer than a good hypnotist. There are more than enough good hypnotists around. Its the one's with the marketing machines that make the money. Or the one's that have cornered the key venue's.


If Danny moved here he would fall flat on his face. He's found a bubble that can be sustained. Most of those expensive courses promising you big fees and a big career are ********ting you into parting with your money.


Its true I can't make what I would consider good money over here. But niether can Mckenna or Andrew Newton even with their marketing machines.

Despite what you may want to believe it doesn't take that much talent. My venue in my home town I was more successful than Newton, Powers and Halpern who all played the same venue but never sold as many tickets.

[/quote]

Very good comments, my take on this is similar....

Andrew Newton for example comes out here to NZ each year or so and fails miserably with small venues

Why-Because his marketing is non existant and he hasnt realised the main area to achieve this here-Years ago maybe but he had no competition only plays 1 night and it doesn't work


Dave Upfold -is the busiest Hypnotist in NZ with a top show to match -I know as I have seen all the rest
and the quality of there shows which is not good, very slow too long and the Hypnotist wants to be centre of attention in each skit rather than the Volunteers who must always be the Stars of the show..

- Bar 1 other Hypnotist in Auckland who also does a very top show but they work different marketing venues etc.. but he is very good..

Why- Dave is successful-He is brilliant at Marketing with his background and it shows and has a specific audience and gets 15-20 theatre shows a month average crowd 350-600 per night
and always runs 2-3 nights at his Chosen venue-We have averaged over 1000 per night for 6 nights as well in Auckland in recent years at one venue alone..... but he knows the local market.

Andrew touring plays small RSA type venues -We attend a few as hes in the area when we tour all over NZ each year, if hes got 90-120 in the room hes lucky-some nights theres only 60.

We know by many contacts who attend the shows for us who else is performing & doing what and what there ticket sales are and what there charging.....

Its all about Marketing regardless how good your show is

Each Hypnotist entertainer Im sure has his own speciality areas etc so have to chase that side of things ..
Just my 2 cents worth on Overseas acts here at times!

Cheers
Brent
Message: Posted by: gmindmagic (Mar 9, 2010 05:13PM)
I asked this a long time ago, Please only if you actually have the course by Michaell Anthony could you give a review!
Message: Posted by: makethemagichappen (Mar 9, 2010 05:29PM)
I have purchased Michael Anthony's program and I must say it far exceeded my expectations. He really does present every aspect of the industry and gives incredibly insightful details that only a veteran performer like himself could provide. Every time I had a question in my head as I was reading, it would be answered within minutes. The best part was I made a list of things I wanted to ask Michael based on his suggestions and he answered every one of them personally. Its obvious he is successful at what he does and I did not feel there was anything he did not disclose in the program, I was very satisfied with what was advertised and what showed up at my door. If you have any specific questions, let me know and I'll be happy to answer.
Message: Posted by: gmindmagic (Mar 9, 2010 05:38PM)
If you don't mind I'll PM you with specific questions I had, Thank you in advance.
Message: Posted by: Vlad_77 (Mar 23, 2010 10:26AM)
I have the course and I will post my thoughts on it this weekend.

In the meantime, the person who asserted that The Beatles paid girls to scream at their shows is dead wrong. Virtually every official and unofficial biography/autobiography has debunked this myth.

Ahimsa,
Vlad
Message: Posted by: bobser (Mar 23, 2010 02:26PM)
Well it simply happens to be true, and that's a fact. Not just a story I heard. Nothing wrong with it by the way. After The Beatles many other band managers took it up, and of course it worked very well.
Message: Posted by: Vlad_77 (Mar 24, 2010 01:52AM)
My review is coming, and Bobser, I would welcome your debate about The Fab Four in a music forum ;)

Look folks, show business is a tough business no matter the area. Lucikly, we in magic/mentalism/hypnosis can make good money without the fame. In that sense, we have it all over musicians - especially those in Rock, R&B, and C&W. I think that the really tough part for US however are the stereotypes associated with the "mystery arts." Let's face it, we go into this KNOWING that fortune will HOPEFULLY favour us. You can have a well oiled marketing juggernaut and still not "make it." Certainly it DOES help and one SHOULD market. But, how many stories have we heard in show business of being in the right place at the right time? Or, someone attended a show or heard or saw something they liked? To use The Beatles as an example: EVERY major record label turned them down. Decca told Brian Epstein that "guitar bands are on the way out." So Epstein's literal final stop was EMI. And George Martin heard something he liked. Granted, at that time (1962) they were still quite raw and FAR from the being the biggest act in all of show business. But, if Martin had not heard that "something" (pardon the pun Beatles fans) then, rock as we know it would not be. And it all started because a few kids went into Epstein's record shop asking for a copy of "My Bonnie" - a record that The Beatles were merely backup instrumentalists for crooner Tony Sheridan. I have often wondered what happened to that A&R guy at Decca :P

How fortuitous for Blaine that DeCaprio happened to see him performing on the street in the Tribeca section of New York!

As a musician, actor, and mystery entertainer, I have ALWAYS been taught to perform as though 20,000 people were in the audience - even there are only six. You never know who is watching! McCartney has a nice line for that as well: You never know who may be listening to you"

Ahimsa,
Vlad
Message: Posted by: Vlad_77 (Mar 24, 2010 02:01AM)
For the OP:

Here are some quick thoughts to get you rolling before my longer review. Please bear in mind that it is 2:53 AM as I write this?

SHU is no dog and pony operation. The sheer QUALITY of the materials is uniformly excellent. Anthony lays it all out from staging to anticipating problems to contracts, riders, markets, etc. The Million Dollar Rolodex and Show Tools alone are PRICELESS for any entertainer.

And I see no problem with Anthony or ANY entertainer selling a system or course. Tarbell was a busy magician yet wrote one of THE essential courses on magic. More power to Anthony and any entertainer selling courses! Will SHU attain the status of Tarbell? Who knows? Ask the Mentalists :) But, that being said, Michael Anthony DOES cover the bases. The customer support is excellent, and here is the best part: if you don't LIKE the course, you have 30 days to return it for a FULL refund! So really, you have nothing to lose financially, and savvy readers will be able to judge whether this specific course will work for them.

Review within a day or so forthcoming.

Ahimsa,
Vlad.