(Close Window)
Topic: Now you see it, now you don't, but what did he say?
A magician has in object such as a ball or a coin in one hand and then transfers the object into the other hand where it eventually disappears "POOF!" Did the magician say something???????

I have always wondered what is being said while the object is being held and the fist is grinding away the object, and then suddenly it is gone. Every magician does this sleight-of-hand, but I have never known what they were saying because of my deafness so I was hoping many of you would share the words that you use for grinding that object into magical dust.

I just received one of Jay Sankey's DVDs and love it, and he teaches several sleight of hand technique. Just don't have a clue to what he is saying and feel really left out on this issue as well as many other issues. BTW, Jay Sankey DVD is just one example out of many others where spoken language is mystery to me and I wonder why?

Please give me some examples of what your patter is like while making that object disappear from your hand.

Thank you
Madkiki
Message: Posted by: Josh the Superfluous (Nov 30, 2008 11:36AM)
Interesting question. I occasionally perform for hearing impaired people. I will try to move those moments closer to my face.

Here's what I say. ("..." = reveal):

"This one is called a vanishing knife. It doesn't vanish. But if I tap this one... [i]it[/i] does."

"With a squeeze and a blow... she leaves my hand and jumps to my arm pit."

"Give the ball a brush...and it's back in the bowl."

"Here we go... There's the first one."
I usually just say something like "Watch the coin/ball/piece of dung." or whatever it was that I put into my hand.

Then I make my magical gesture, open my hand, and the coin/ball/piece of dung has disappeared.
Message: Posted by: Josh the Superfluous (Nov 30, 2008 08:24PM)
Bill,
If I ever meet you after a performance, remind me not to shake your hand. LOL!
You don't have to worry. I seldom use a coin or a ball.
[quote]
On 2008-12-01 00:19, Bill Palmer wrote:
You don't have to worry. I seldom use a coin or a ball.
[/quote]

Another "Pepsi spewing out all over the keyboard" moment.
Using Josh's symbol (... = "reveal"):

"Because silver is a soft metal, if I apply some pressure I can make it... really small"
Thanks ilmungo for keeping this post on topic, and your patter line helps me to understand things better.

Thanks to the others for providing their patter lines.

Let's hear some more patter.

Sincerely
Madkiki