(Close Window)
Topic: What is X Finger by Geoff Weber?
Ellusionist will release X FINGER later this week ...
Borrow a pen, draw on your hand and make it come to life.

Anybody knows more about it?
I'll wait for Geoff to respond on details, but it's pretty amazing. The idea's Geoff and Reed came up with based on the principal are pretty sweet. I would definitly keep an eye out for it.
[quote]
On 2008-12-02 16:34, gitty wrote:
Ellusionist will release X FINGER later this week ...
Borrow a pen, draw on your hand and make it come to life.

Anybody knows more about it?
[/quote]

Do you happen to have a link? Checked Ellusionist.com front page but only saw Tagged as new release.
Let me guys tell you that this is magic that is practical, super freaking visual, and what you will be able to do with this idea is to numerous to mention...
JM
I believe this is being produced by papercrane if I'm not mistaken.
Yeah, it is. I just talked to Geoff on the phone and he said we should see a trailer pretty soon.
I'm not going to wait for Geoff to talk about it, I'll spill the beans. Geoff was nice enough to show this effect to me when we met briefly in Washington DC earlier this year. The idea is that you take a REGULAR pen or sharpie and draw an X on the ring finger. A moment later, the X vanishes. When I saw it, I was floored. I thought maybe the pen was rigged with disappearing ink (pre eXile days), or that he had a flesh colored bit of something attached to a pull that went up his sleeve taking the drawn on X with it. When he revealed the secret to me, I was even more impressed by the practical nature of the effect, and IMMEDIATELY saw the possibilities for tons of applications. Not to mention, one of my favorite coin magicians, Reed McClintock also has some terrific applications of this principle, some of which will work nicely with his marketed effect Stars and Hexes.

I think you'll enjoy this effect. It's practical, visual, and most of all magical.
I can't wait. I'll place an order the moment it comes out.
It looks like trick photography
Message: Posted by: Christopher Williams (Dec 3, 2008 05:04AM)
So, what is the effect? Gitty said the image comes to life, Eric said it just vanishes...

Thanks
They are both right, because it can be applied in many different ways. You can make a drawing on your hand appear, disappear, or transform. It happens visually and can be done with any pen.
I think the demo goes up today. There is a lot you can do with the principle. Here is one of my favorite things on the DVD and it comes from Reed. You write the word EVIL on your finger and with a small slow wave of the finger it morphs into the word LIVE. My favorite thing to do is show your hand and make your name or better yet phone # appear. It is so visual I think this will be an instant classic. The effect is dirt simple and we priced so low that anyone can afford it. You need this.
Sounds interesting. Looking forward to the demo.
Can you have a picture of a card appear? Or can you write like number 0 and make it morph into like a 7?
Yes you can, there is so much you can do depending on your imagination.
The video demo is online:
http://www.papercranemagic.com/xfinger.htm
Wow! Looks good. A lot of products with the inking on the skin lately, but I'm not complaining. :)
That looks amazing! I can't wait to get my "fingers" on it! :) -Matt
The trick looks kind of cool I suppose, but I think that 20 dollars is a ridiculous price to charge for that. As simple as it is, it would be a cool thing to own for 5 dollars maybe, but 20?! I suppose that's Ellusionist for you though. I'm really not trying to hate on Geoff, like I said I think the trick is neat, I just think that to ask that price for that trick is insane.
Your right, let me call Brad immeadietely. What were we thinking $20. Im sorry please forgive us. Now that you mention it $5 might be kind of high, we certainly don't want to "hate on" any of our customers so maybe $1.47 is an appropriate cost. Thank you Victor Cruz you beautiful web god for showing us how stupid we are. Geoff, shame on you for not creating a $20 effect and telling us it was worth $20.
I'm sorry, I guess I misunderstood the purpose of online forums... I thought that we were supposed to express our opinions on things and discuss them here. Is that not right? It's fine if you disagree with me, but there really wasn't anything disrespectful in my post. Sorry if you disagree, but that doesn't give you the right to be a d***.

By the way you should learn what the term "hate on" means before you try to mock someone with it and use it incorrectly...

Thanks for the reply ted
19.95 is a ridiculously LOW price for an effect this powerful. It is an amazing deal.
Is there a difference between the download and actual dvd? looks great though.
When will it be available?

Ted, be nice to Victor. He doesn't understand that it cost $$$ to film, edit, host it on a website, labor, etc...

Looks pretty cool. I'll pick it up probably!
I think it's available now and at $20 it's a steal.
[quote]
On 2008-12-03 22:59, tian_ci wrote:
When will it be available?

Ted, be nice to Victor. He doesn't understand that it cost $$$ to film, edit, host it on a website, labor, etc...

Looks pretty cool. I'll pick it up probably!
[/quote]

Im well aware of these things, I wasn't saying that it would be a good idea for him sell it for less, or that he would make more if it were sold at 5 dollars. I'm sure that there are plenty of people that will pay that much for it. I was just saying, that from a buyers perspective, I don't think that the trick is worth 20 dollars. And in the end, isn't that what we are all paying for? For the most part, when it comes to DVDs and magic in general, I'm looking at the trick itself and how well it is taught to decide if its worth the price.
How do you know how well it is taught from a demo?
To each his own man,
but
Papercrane has put out quality products.
Look at the market and see what $5 get you.
Maybe a loop, a little flash paper, a TT, a junker instant download from penguin or t11.

I think $20 is reasonable for this and it's what I intend to pay. I mean, you are making ink change on your finger with no gimmicks apparently....
[quote]
On 2008-12-03 23:32, jordanjohnson wrote:
How do you know how well it is taught from a demo?
[/quote]

You cant know, but by asking around or reading some reviews on forums etc. you can find out how well things are taught. I was just speaking in general terms. It was more of a comment saying that the things that I care about as a buyer don't really cost the producer money. The other things are icing on the cake, and while I understand that some of these things are necessary, i.e. site hosting, his economic burden has nothing to do with whether or not it's worth it for me to purchase as a consumer. Just my thoughts on the matter...

As for the downloads, I agree that most are crap lol. But some sites, dananddave.com for instance, offer a lot of great downloads that are very high quality, well taught and most of them are great tricks/utility moves. I don't know, I just don't think that this really needs a whole DVD... Just my opinion though.
Looks amazing!
Just when I told myself not to buy any more magic for the rest of the year.....
There are no "add to cart buttons" next to it.

Guess we have to wait?
Looks like a winner to me.
Victor,
The trick is already costing Papercrane a fortune. They can't even afford Paypal buttons. Man, the "hate" is on.
James

[quote]
On 2008-12-03 21:04, VictorCruz wrote:
The trick looks kind of cool I suppose, but I think that 20 dollars is a ridiculous price to charge for that. As simple as it is, it would be a cool thing to own for 5 dollars maybe, but 20?! I suppose that's Ellusionist for you though. I'm really not trying to hate on Geoff, like I said I think the trick is neat, I just think that to ask that price for that trick is insane.
[/quote]
Gees, maybe Geoff should give it to us for free - wait I think he should pay us to take it from him.

Seriously though that pen into the ring thing is ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT. Being a graphic design lecturer my mind is going insane with ideas.

Geoff send me my free copy. :D

Regards
MAC
Victor, I'm sorry. My point was to show you that while yes we all have oppinions sometimes even my own are silly. BTW I know the saying "Hate On" I just don't use it. I will give you some advice if Paris Hilton is saying it then its not cool anymore.
Hey, ted french,

When is the date of release for this?
Looks nice!
Best
Thanks to everyone for the comments. This effect is so much fun and will be available on the 9th @ http://www.papercranemagic.com and also @ E
NO Gimmicks ???!!!???
That would be like real Magic!!!

Hears and sees simply too good to be true!
It seems like your left very dirty (literally and figuratively) at the end of this trick.

For Geoff, or anyone else who has used this, don't you find that when doing something so visually interesting people want to look at your hand or your finger?
Honestly, I don't have that problem. Maybe its because I don't have a confrontational style. We do cover some solutions/ideas for people who share your concern though.
I do the appearance. You show your hand clean and slowly a message appears. You are left clean. You want them to look at your hand because you just made something appear that wasnt there. Your right about it being visually interesting people really bug out on this one.
This looks really good and as for $20.00 being too much to ask for an effect that you will use everyday? No, if the trick suits you and you perform regularly for pay, it is worth quite a bit more. I have been booked for shows because of one item that just happened to hit the decision maker in the right place.

Look, frankly we are lucky that these extremely talented and generous Magicians are sharing their creations with us at all in the age of file sharing and knockoff artists. I am aware of some top name guys who refuse to release some of the best magic you will ever see in your life, it will never see the light of day. It would be sad if this trend spread to the entire community, but sadly that is where it is heading. End of rant... thanks for reading.
Here is a presentation that is not on the dvd. I am having a great deal of success with lately. take out a cigarette give it to a person to hold. write a persons name on your finger, give the finger a shake and it vanishes. look at the person then the cigarette and when they look the name is written on the cigarette. (you could do this in reverse also meaning write their name number whatever and it vanishes from the cigarette to the finger.)

Another presentation
Imagine a deck of cards is society, everyone is trying to be heard, reach and find your voice. if you could say one word to let the world to know who you are besides just another carbon footprint but really let them know who you are, what you stand for just one word. Make a sign for everyone to see, write your word down on the card representing your voice.

show a bar code on your fingers give it a shake and it morphs into their word. they go back through the deck and find the card and there is nothing written on it.

This is a fun trick to play with and perform, Geoff has a real winner with x-finger
Geoff,

This looks really promising!!!
Very nicely priced as well.

For those of you that havent purchased Poor Mans CTW, it is killer, as well as this!
I am definately going to purchase this as soon as it is released!

First PMCTW, now Xfinger!

What will Geoff come up with next??

Great job!

Alex
[quote]
On 2008-12-04 11:44, ted french wrote:
I do the appearance. You show your hand clean and slowly a message appears. You are left clean. You want them to look at your hand because you just made something appear that wasnt there. Your right about it being visually interesting people really bug out on this one.
[/quote]

Yeah, I'm thinking the appearance may be the way to go.

I don't have a "confrontational style" by any means, but the people I perform for certainly want to look at something that changes, or appears or whatever. That is, in my opinion, the most natural inclination given the situation. If you were eating breakfast and your sugarbowl started floating you'd want to take a look at it. Not because you don't trust your confrontational breakfast table, but because something incredible just happened.
Tony you are sooo right about your statement. This is the last product I will be appearing on personally. There are some dvds from the magic bakery of mine that were shot eons ago and will be coming out but after those I am done releasing material. Ill only share in the old form of books or text from now on.
I read a quote a while back that made me say whoa you know what this craft means more to me than just a few thousand dollars.
P.T.Selbit said and I am paraphrasing "Everytime a magician releases a trick its another nail in the coffin for magic" At the time the quote was said how ever many years ago, I would not have agreed because they didn't have the mediums we have today. You would have to buy a book to get the secret. Chances of the mundane world buying a magic book today are next to never LOL even most new magicians wont buy a magic book, they say they learn better by dvd. LOL What do I know I am just a square peg?
Reed,

I have mixed feelings, sad that creators such as yourself are no longer going to release inventive new magic, but on the other hand my love for magic leads me to believe this is probably a neccesary step in the right direction.
This is a killer effect with so many possibilities! I have an idea.. Geoff I will PM you.
I think this has a lot of potential to be mixed with Richard Ferguson's Tagged. Write a word on your finger and vanish it, only to appear on the spectator's arm. There are a ton of ideas running through my brain for this single effect!
And if you're doing an adult show and incorporate the middle finger, wow...the possiblities...especially with your flaming middle finger Tony!
The appearance sounds most magical and would end clean too! This looks like an amazing principle, looking forward to picking up a copy!
I have a question or two :) If you end so dirty how do you get clean again? If I was to say vanish the word NEXT and then start doing something different could I move on to the next effect without anyone seeing anything?

Or will I need some alone time to do some post effect cleanup? If so that's fine I could always end a set with this. Also when you say this effect does not use a gimmick why would you end dirty? If you do not have a gimmick to ditch what could be left behind to find?

One thing I really like from the demo is when you pull the ink off of your finger. And you can see the ink being pulled from the finger. Now the AD copy states that this effect is is completely impromptu. So if that is the case then is it possible to walk into any store buy a sharpie write a line on your finger and then pull it off? All with a t-shirt on and showing your hands empty?

Thank you!

This effect Looks great!

-Altrez
If I would want a text to appear on my hand/finger, how clean do I end? As people said, I'm pretty sure people will want to look at my hand if a have a text appear from nowhere on my hand.
Altrez asked:

"Now the AD copy states that this effect is is completely impromptu. So if that is the case then is it possible to walk into any store buy a sharpie write a line on your finger and then pull it off? All with a t-shirt on and showing your hands empty?"

No.

(Obviously some of the effects the guys are coming up with will require some preparation, some more than others, that's all. You're not going to call your lawyer or something, are you?)
LOL No I am not going to call my Lawyer ;) I would like to know how many effects taught on the DvD are completely impromptu. If we do not ask questions then how would we know?

If I where to trust the fact that the AD is telling me the truth then I would think that every effect show on the DEMO is completely impromptu.

-Altrez
I have seen here and on another forum, many people simply not believing there is no actual gimmick involved. Well, Geoff told me about this effect probably close to 5 years ago or so (kinda cool that he didn't create it one night and release it the next, huh?) and has shared the method and a manuscript with me. So I can back him up on this and state that it is 100% true that there is NO GIMMICK involved in the basic concept of his effect.

For those requesting specific, revealing details here in the open forum - come on, you know better than that.

So fear not, you won't be surprised by an extra gimmick or material needed if you purchase this - but you might be surprised by the simplicity of it. I really like the creative effects the guys have come up with, using Geoff's concept.
[quote]
it is 100% true that there is NO GIMMICK involved in the basic concept of his effect.
[/quote]

How do we know what the basic concept is? The DEMO on the website shows a very visual effect. I simply asked if it was impromptu as the website clearly state's it is. So the DEMO and the website are both very misleading.

-Altrez
I look forward to seeing reviews of this after the release.
Would be very cool to write your phone number on your finger, then vanish it and it ends up "tagged" on their arm.
James
Altrez wrote: "So the DEMO and the website are both very misleading."

But Altrez, did you really think that you could write on your finger, then pull it off in a string of plastic?

Maybe you did, but logic of method says, "No, I won't be able to do that. There will be a little extra something I'll have to do. I can tell that FROM THE DEMO!"

I don't mean to pick on you specifically, but come on, it's a magic trick! Let's keep the discussion real. And let's not get into methods. And, no, there is no such thing as real magic, only tricks with (hopefully) good presentations.

- Steve
Steve,

You are right. I get so hyped over the great looking DEMO plus the AD's and It makes me want to believe in real magic again :)

It looks great and I do plan on buying it :)

-Altrez
[quote]
On 2008-12-04 20:44, fridoliina89 wrote:
If I would want a text to appear on my hand/finger, how clean do I end? As people said, I'm pretty sure people will want to look at my hand if a have a text appear from nowhere on my hand.
[/quote]

100% clean
Imagine:

Asking the girl of your dreams if she can palm read (i know its on the finger..but bear with me)
No matter what her answer is tell her to try on your hand and then reveal "i love you" or "marry me?" or simply just her name.
Altrez, thanks for your enthusiasm :)
As you and Steve were discussing, some things do involve setup. Xfinger can be used in a million different ways..I didn't write the ad copy, but I think what they intended to mean was that it CAN be done impromptu. Of course there are other ways it can be done, depending on what effect you want to create.

Regarding your other question, I don't want to reveal too much, suffice it to say, we do teach you how to clean up.

As many of you noted, this effect is ideal for combining with other effects. I have been using it in combination with Stars & Hexes for years. I don't have Tagged yet, but it looks like they would go together like peanut butter and chocolate.
Mr Weber,

Thank you for taking the time to explain things! Very cool... You have sold me on the product!

Thanks!

-Altrez
Some Idea's: I don't know if these will all work but give it a read:

A prospectve client : draw a bored smiley face and say
"this is your audience before my act"
Change it to a face with a big smile and say
"this is them after"

Virtual Coin Flip : draw a coin with heads showing. Ask the spectator heads or tails. then change it

Wrong Card Prediction : write ace of hearts on your finger. From a deck force 7 diamonds. Then change the text accordingly.

you and I : her initial, a heart, then your initial. Shake and both initials end up inside the heart.

LIE DEDECTOR: the word truth changes to lies when the spectator lies to you

PETALS: clip some petals behind your fingers. Draw a flower on your finger shake your hand letting the petals fall into the girls hand. reveal flower on your finger missing all but one petal.

PHONE NUMBER/WWW : write your phone number on your hand. let them take it down then ask them if they want your email as well..shake your hand and it appears.

CUTE TURN DOWN : at a bar have the words "buy me a drink" on your finger. Walk up to some girl and show it to her when she tells you "no" shake your hand to make it say "fine!" that will be funny to see her reaction.
Awesome ideas! Every single one of those will work with xfinger.
Great post, Mac! Thank you!
How often can I change?
Small example: From lie to truth, again to lie and so on.
Is this possible? Or can I only once changes?
You can do it back and forth between 2 things (from what I asume the method to be)
Tommorow's the big day you can buy it from http://www.papercranemagic.com or at E
How does the apperance look from your emtpy palm? I did not see any of that in the trailer.

To be able to do that got me really intressted, Is that also Impromtu?
Yes we show that, and yes it is.
Oh sorry I missed that one, looks fantastic I'm sure this one will get amazing reactions.

One last question, can they inspect my hand after the text did appear?

Also I was wondering, will papercrane offer the same type of download as their other products? Because Eīs downloads wont play on mac.:(
Yes it will be like our other downloads. The download will be available through our site for a week and then E will get it.
[quote]
On 2008-12-09 09:14, fridoliina89 wrote:
Oh sorry I missed that one, looks fantastic I'm sure this one will get amazing reactions.

One last question, can they inspect my hand after the text did appear?
[/quote]

Yes they can.
Im sold.

Which time will this be released? lol cant wait.
According to E, it will be available today starting at 4pm
[quote]
On 2008-12-04 10:42, ted french wrote:
Thanks to everyone for the comments. This effect is so much fun and will be available on the 9th @ http://www.papercranemagic.com and also @ E
[/quote]

I thought this was out today?

Still not available to buy from the website though.

Iain.
I should have specified 4pm EST, check back in an hour.
It is now available.
Looks like it is available from E but not from papercrane, will it be up on papercrane soon?
[quote]
On 2008-12-09 16:16, fridoliina89 wrote:
Looks like it is available from E but not from papercrane, will it be up on papercrane soon?
[/quote]

I see it available for purchase now from the paper crane site - http://www.papercranemagic.com/products.html

Hope everyone enjoys it. Good work Geoff.
[quote]
On 2008-12-09 16:16, Danny Diamond wrote:
[quote]
On 2008-12-09 16:16, fridoliina89 wrote:
[/quote]

I see it available for purchase now from the paper crane site - http://www.papercranemagic.com/products.html

Hope everyone enjoys it. Good work Geoff.
[/quote]

Do you find a add to cart button? I don't. :(
Its just off to the right of the product.

Jeremy
So this is a move?
Yes it is available from Paper Crane :) I'm downloading it right now... will post back once I view it and let you know how it goes.

Review up soon. I can't wait!
I just download it and watched the 56 minutes of magic.
I bought it direct from Papercrane and it the download was finished in only 15 minutes.

My first impression is ok - a nice impromtu trick.
The video is clear and very detailed in every aspect. There a lot of variations but I only like "Serial Number Divination" and "Arrow Switch". Both effects a clever.

I think the main problem will be the angel of the presention but let's see ...
[quote]
On 2008-12-09 18:27, gitty wrote:
I just download it and watched the 56 minutes of magic.
I bought it direct from Papercrane and it the download was finished in only 15 minutes.

My first impression is ok - a nice impromtu trick.
The video is clear and very detailed in every aspect. There a lot of variations but I only like "Serial Number Divination" and "Arrow Switch". Both effects a clever.

I think the main problem will be the angel of the presention but let's see ...
[/quote]

Angel!?
do you need an angel to perform??
Angel don't count like a gimmick ;D
If you need an angel, I'll have to pass on this :) On a different topic, can this be performed surrounded?

Regards, Steve
Yes, we were surrounded when we filmed the live performance segments in the columbus city festival
Wow I really liked this one, simple magic at its best for 19,95 something this vissual and practical its a steal.

You will learn a cool principle that you can use to come upp with your own effects, as well as some very cool effects and presentations.

If you like what you see in the video, then you should get it because that is what you get.

Thank you for sharing this one with us!
Great effect and nice method. Exactly what I hoped it would be!
Thank you. Hope you guys have as much fun as I have had with it.
Of course - I mean angle! :)
Ok here is an idea. You need X Finger and EXile.

You start by drawing an X on the spectator's hand. Then you show your hands both empty.

Remove the X from the spectator with Exile's method ( no coin is involve - just vanish the X).

Then take your thumb and Index (they have the invisible X)

Put in your X Finger. Show the new X in your hand. THen do the vanish again.

My 2 cents
Just downloaded it - wow, a great effect, easy to do, impromptu. I put this up with the arm twist.
HI Geoff!!
thanks for your creativity, and thanks for invite Reed in your dvd, he puts veeery good ideas ,and also good presentations.

I wanna share some ideas.
1.- Draw a Coin, and transform into a real coin just by pass your RH over the Draw ( Reedīs move)

2.- "X" jumps from your middle finger on the LH, in the index finger of your RH, and come back , via X finger and Ring Thing

3.- "X" travel to your hand, to spectator hands.

thanks again Geoff!
I was thinking of doing a type of memory loss efect with this...

such as saying to the audience I'm going ot write a word on my finger here.. (The word would be Carpet) then show the audience (not spectator)

Say I want you all to remember that word.. Now turn to Spectator and say I want you also to remember this word YOUR IN THE DRIVING SEAT, its all go from here...

look at the word and commit it to memory PUT THE PEDDLE to the METAL Its all upto you. so comitt it to memory you got it?... your not to Tired to do this are you.. ok that's good..

Then turn back to your audience and show the word carpet again..

Then say to Spectator. Now what just hopefuly happened through linguistic deception and psychological influence I have altered your perception of reality of the word you just saw for the first time what word did you see? Spectator replies CAR Realy nothing else you just saw the word CAR another words an automobile is that correct..

audience was that the word you saw... (they reply no not quite)

Well if you remeber when I was speakig to you through linguistic deception I said to you YOUR IN THE DRIVING SEAT, PUT THE PEDDLE TO THE METAL etc... all indicating a car of some sort the word that was wrote on my finger was the word CARPET... (Audeince will agree with you ) thanks for your time and thanks for bieng a great participant..

you get the idea where I'm comming from here I havent bought x-finger yet but wanted to know if that would work with X finger as I havent bought it yet but like the idea...

Cheers <:O)
Great routine idea. I also had been thinking of doing something along these lines, but your routine is better than what I had come up with. Shades of Derren Brown. :)
Yes, you could absolutely use x-finger to accomplish this.
Can the instant download be viewed on a Mac computer or do you need a Windows system? Thanks.

Regards, Steve
You probably need Windows to view the download if the file is secured.
I purchased the download of Power Word: Fall directly from Papercrane, and it worked fine on my Mac. So I'd imagine the same should hold true for X Finger.

I guess Papercrane and E use different protection schemes, because E downloads won't work on Mac at this time.

So, I guess if you're going for the download, you should go directly to Papercrane.

Make sure you have the Flip4Mac Quicktime plugin so that you can play WMV files in Quicktime.

Kevin
I re-read through all the posts (somewhat quickly, I must admit) because I thought I had previously read a question asking if the DVD contained any additional material the download did not, but I couldn't find that post again. Could someone tell me if the DVD contains additional material not on the download? Thanks.

Additionally, Ellusionist does specifically state the download will not work on a Mac. Kevin suggests it might be possible (given his experience with the Power Word: Fall download), but could someone from Papercrane or someone who has downloaded it to a Mac definitively say if the download can be viewed on a Mac? Thanks, again :)

Regards, Steve
Ellusionist download cannot by viewed by Mac. If you downloadded it from PaperCraneProductions than yes, you can view it on a Mac
Message: Posted by: Strange Tasting Fish Sticks (Dec 14, 2008 12:58PM)
Well I bought this effect from E, even though it is really easy I can't seem to do it, especially having problems with the transformations. I've looked through the video several times but I'm still having problems. Anyone who own it able to help?
Make a video and we'll see what you're doing wrong. It's the easiest way.
Every hand is different so it will nto work for some. It refuses to work for mine and I will never be able to the effect but happy I bought it as it is an interesting principle which I'm happy to now know and it was tought in a clear way

Alan
What is it that does not work for you?
My hands are just not suited to the effect I think
This is EXCELLENT. Blister, Live/Evil, and the classic arrow variations are very good. Changing drawings into actual objects is also very very very insanely good. Absolutely loving it :D
I refuse to believe any human being could not perform at least one single variation of x-finger, no matter how oddly formed their digits are. Every hand is different, true, but that just means you have to adapt x-finger to work with your hand.

I have to agree with kissdadookie; this effect is AWESOME!
If you can't perform the transformation style effects you could very easily at least perform the variations with the appearances of the drawing or words on the finger. By the way Alan, I love your card through table, absolutely love it. Very practical and very visual, well done Alan.
Cheers dookie. Now I have a few small ideas working with it thanx to Geoff Weber so cheers guys. Yet againt worth the price five times over
Great fun, it actually made a sale for Reed's Stars and Hexes because I ordered it right after getting X-Finger. Hopefully that one is good, I always wanted to be able to do something with a tattoo, specifically, changing them since I do have ink and that is something that comes up during performances. "Hey, can you change your tattoo?" or "What if I picked the circle?" when I do my star tattoo reveal.
The effect has been selling really well but not a ton of reviews not sure why but I have noticed that those that buy are actually performing it and I think that says something about the practicality of this effect. I have noticed several comments on various forums about the cost of X finger we did not price it low because the value was low we priced it low because we felt that because of the impromptu nature of this effect it would be the type of trick like a ring thing where every magician should know how to do this effect and we priced so anyone could afford it.
I've been practicing this effect and giving it the amount it deserves.

It truly is a clever method and something I really enjoy performing.

For those on the fence about it. IMO it's well worth the money :)
Here's a in performance update:

Today I finally scrounged up the balls to perform X-Finger as a transformation. The effect I used was Reeds Live/Evil and guess what? It was BRILLIANT. Reactions were absolutely AMAZING. If you've seen the demo video, there's a girl that gasps "No way, that can't happen!" This was the same exact reaction that was achieved with using X-Finger for Live/Evil. This is a reaction that is very similar to the reactions for Deep Astonishment 2 (read the ad copy for DA 2, it is word for word accurate). Brilliant... just brilliant. The reactions are very strong with this.
Hi Ben,

Thanks. It did work perfectly (on my Mac) from PaperCrane.

Regards, Steve
I was skeptical at first but with all the reviews I just went ahead and bought it. After watching it I thought to myself, there is no way this will work. But I knew it had too because other were having such great success with it.

I did the LIVE/EVIL transformation for my wife and she had no clue how I did it. That gave me the confidence to try it again....my boss at work, some co-workers.....the reactions were some of the best I have received from them in some time. They seen all the card tricks, the coin tricks and even stigmata, so getting a great reaction from them is hard now. XFinger came through. I will be doing this tonight at the restaurant and I can't wait.

Blessings,
Dorian
I think MANY folks have just watched only the first 5-10 minutes of the video to learn the method and they have probably walked away from it thinking that it was a silly method (much like how many disregarded the ring thing). Good thing is, folks who have a better understanding for what will work and will not work now have little jewels like X Finger in their arsenal which are not widely used by others. The sad truth to all of this however is that creators like Geoff do not get the proper exposure that they very well should receive for brilliant creativity.

It's like sponge balls in a sense. A lot of magicians feels like sponge balls are just plain silly and refuses to use them but reality is, the sponge balls will probably get you a stronger reaction (and quicker as well) than a lot of your card or coin routines.
Everyone on the board knows I had troubles with this. Now I have them resolved I must say I'm performing one version or another of this at every gig. Fantastic little effect.

ALAN
[quote]
On 2009-01-27 13:46, Alan Rorrison wrote:
Everyone on the board knows I had troubles with this. Now I have them resolved I must say I'm performing one version or another of this at every gig. Fantastic little effect.

ALAN
[/quote]

That's really good news Alan! May I ask what version/effects you are performing?

Justin
Alan,
Pm'd you......

Warmest Regards,
JRRocha
Just now I'm doing a 3 fly style routine and loving it. Im also toying witht he writing removal and reaperance
3-fly a-la something along the lines of what was taught/suggested near the end of the video?
Its and idea from the tape mate.
Once you know the secret it is hard to believe that this will fool anyone. Those that perform it know that it does fool people and not only that it gets great reactions for a small amount of effort.
That's what I thought Alan, but I was leaving the possibility that you were doing a coin type 3-fly with the X Finger method which peaked my curiosity. So you've actually tried that routine on the video, I shy'd away from that one. Currently I've just been doing the transformations of Live/Evil as well as the right angles to the person's name.
Message: Posted by: The great Gumbini (Mar 15, 2009 10:52PM)
I just downloaded this onto my Mac and it did not open. I sent an e-mail to Paper Crane and I'm waiting to hear from them.

Good magic to all,

Eric

Posted: Mar 16, 2009 12:05am
BTW if anyone has any tips on the Mac and this download I'd sure appreciate it. I asked Paper Crane and Geoff if the download did not work on my computer if I can get the dvd---but man I hope they can send me the download for my Mac. I really want to try this effect.

Good magic to all,

Eric
Works perfectly fine on my macbook. I suggest that you use the VLC player instead of iTunes and Quicktime.
Message: Posted by: The great Gumbini (Mar 16, 2009 12:09PM)
I still could not get it to open. But I just want to say that I contacted Geoff and Paper Crane and both answered my Emails very quickly and they are sending me the DVD. They are very nice people to work with and I will be doing more business with them in the future. I like people who stand behind their product and are willing to help.

Good magic to all,

Eric
X Finger is now in stock at Murphy's You can order from your favorite Dealer.
Message: Posted by: The great Gumbini (Mar 20, 2009 12:27AM)
To all concerned,

I just received my X Finger DVD in the mail today and I like it a lot. I do agree with the posts above to watch it all the way through. I tried it out and it really worked good. I got one reaction that kind of threw me a little---I got hit by a tiny lady who said "NO WAY!" as she hit me! That was the funniest one.

But there is something else I would like to say about Geoff and Paper Crane. They stand behind their products. For some reason or another my download did not work on my Mac. Geoff tried to walk me through it and even sent a download to me to see if it would help---it didn't. Well when I emailed Geoff and Paper Crane and I told them what happened---they sent me the DVD in place of the download. I really appreciate people who stand by their products and I will be doing business with these reputable people in the future.

Good magic to all,

Eric
Thanks for kind words Eric. I'm glad to hear the your getting those great reactions from the trick!
Message: Posted by: The great Gumbini (Mar 23, 2009 11:19PM)
Geoff---You are very welcome. By the way I mistakingly put the X Finger dvd on my for sale list here on the site. So as soon as I'm done I will take that off of there. What a day!

But I will say this I discovered something with X FINGER today. If you snap your fingers you can have an X transfer to your thumb from your finger. Geoff this really got my friend good. I'll be experimenting more with it. But for now I have to remove an item (I absolutely can not believe I got this mixed up)

Thanks again Geoff,

Eric
I guess I will have to watch the DVD again but my first reaction is similar to a review in MUM mgazine. This is not as good as its hype would make you think. Be glad to sell the dvd to anyone for 1/2 price. PM me
Not as good? Have you tried it with a real audience? I will assume not because if you had, you would have witnessed a great reaction.

It does not matter your reaction, just the specs.

Plus, this is not the place to sell anything.
I think a lot of people are missing out on a truly great effect here. There are not many great non card, non coin, non ct effects commercially available. Sure it's a simple trick and on rare occasions someone may discover the method(personally I think it is very rare) but the reactions are so suprising because it is completely unexpected what you do. My advice and the only way I perform it because I am a bit of a wimp is to use it as an appearance. That way you end clean and can go right into another routine.
X-Finger KILLS for lay people. There's a ridiculous amount of applications for this thing as well. As I've mentioned a few times before, a lot of people have probably passed on X-Finger because THEY saw what it is but did not understand the difference between what THEY see and what the SPECS see. If you're picking this up hoping for a magi fooler, move along move along, if you want to astound your lay audience, it is absolute KILLER both method and the vast amount of routines taught.
I did this for my wife and she just kept looking at me funny. I could see her brains oozing out her ears. She has seen lots of magic but this is a unexpected off beat type of trick.
Can anyone tell me which issue of MUM the review Tennispro is referring to may be found? I don't recall seeing it.
Sorry Geoff, never saw it. But it does not matter. It's what the people who use it say.
I am finishing up a booklet that will cover new subtleties, ideas, and applications for the X-finger principle that I have been developing for the past two years. This is an open call for submissions. I am very interested to see any creative, original routines you guys have come up with. If its a new idea and I like it, I will include it in the booklet and you will receive a free copy. (I might send you a free copy regardless of whether or not I use your submission if its very unique.) If you want to share your routine with me but not submit it for publication, please specify that.

All entries will be judged only by myself. There is not a set deadline, but I would not wait if you would like to submit an idea. The booklet will come out whenever I feel its ready, which could be as soon as December. PS I am looking more for thought out routines, rather than laundry lists of ideas.
This has been out awhile now. Anyone still using it?
I still use it when doing impromptu kids magic. I like making a little happy face change from smiling to frowning, and stuff like that. -Matt
I use the method as a crib