(Close Window)
Topic: Bisection By Andrew Mayne
How good is bisection by Andrew Mayne? Is it easy to learn? How expensive is it to make the gimmick and is the effect believable?

:rotf:

Looks kinda impractical to be honest.

--Euan
My initial reaction upon seeing it was "WTF?" It looks like some kind of surrealistic joke. But I've heard good things from those who've purchased it. And I recently bought Andrew Mayne's "Touching Sky," and I love it. Awesome stuff.
To be honest.

Bisection is not all that practical but it is a VERY GOOD ILLUSION. It is grand enough for stage and also the street. If you do it right, it can be a baffling and attention getting illusion.

The method may be an insult to our intelligence, I won't deny that fact. But it is a good illusion and worth performing.

Be different or follow the crowd. :bg:
I think that Bisection is just great.

The illusion is amazing if done on stage. At the beginning I thought it was all right for the street, but I do not anymore.

On stage, no problem to my mind and huge reactions. However the illusion has to be performed quickly.

And for 15 bucks you're not gonna be cheap, just buy it !

Franfran :kermit:
If the word is Bisection..

Get it man !!! The word is Bisection. Great stuff, easy to do and magnificient.

Great illusion.

Symmatrix
I'm interested in purchasing this illusion for my stage production. I'm a virgin to the method, but would like to hear more opinions from people who HAVE it, of whether or not it is practical for a stage show? It sounds great, but does it restrict you later on in the show; in other words, do you have to do a costume change later? Any info would be great! Thanks!
Dave,

You would not have to do a costume change and I don't see it as being in any way restrictive. Unfortunately, I was planning on doing it in a short show that's coming up, but due to time restraints, had to cut it out. Maybe next time!

--Jack :pepsi:
Could bisection be used with pocket sawing in half?
I don't see the point of using those to together. Bi-Section is a quick illusion, done in about 10 seconds. I think Bi-Section is a very good illusion. It is practical for stage. I recommend it.
First off, I am the owner of Bi-Section. I built it and I use it when on a stage and it gets a great reaction. It has a great "what just happened" factor. I highly recommend this effect if you want something very cool and very visual. I can recommend this effect very much, but I want you to know that it will take some practice (everything does) and it is meant to be a quick effect.

To answer schmitty, yes you can certainly combine two of Andrew's products like that. I have heard of people doing this (or at least saying they will) and it sounds like a neat idea.

Hope that helps.

Take care,
Kyle
When I first saw this effect, it seemed as though it would be very impractical. I was mostly right. :)
Is there a site or anything that I can see Bi-Section performed??
http://www.sleightgeek.com under pocket sawing in half.
Great job Tor, your performance is excellent. However, I'm not sure that I like it when it done so fast. I mean, I'm a magician and even if I know what is supposed to happen, I don't see anything. I know that Andrew Mayne recommended to do it fast but I think that if we would take at least 4 or 5 second the audience would have the time to realize what they are seeing (half of magician's body has disappeared).

Just a thought...

Johnny
Where is it located at sleightgeek.com?

Amos McCormick
[quote]
On 2003-06-23 21:38, amosmc wrote:
Where is it located at sleightgeek.com?

Amos McCormick
[/quote]

It can be seen here:

http://www.sleightgeek.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=98&highlight=bisection

Sincerely,
Mack Magic
Bisection has its ups and downs, however, it is a great visual effect. Just upon reading the manuscript I can tell it was thought out many times. But, the point that I don't understand is, why not use it with another illusion? This does not have to be a stand alone effect. I believe if you use it with another similar stage illusion, it would sell the bisection even farther. For those of us who are strictly stand up performers, I'm sure that you've already worked this into your routines with great success.
This would be cool to have a laser pass through your body and cut you in half.
The laser idea is very remnant of Copperfield's illusion by Steve Fearson. Also, Vincenzo R. has a manuscript out called [i]Division[/i] which basically rips off this idea.

Haha, if you were just saying that to be funny. Good point. But the laser idea is DC's.
Well not so hyped up though. Just have a friend on the side with a laser pointer and a fog machine to see the beam. Then do the move to get your body in half.
I think it would look cooler if your upper half EXPLODED! haha... some food for thought.
I do the Bisection every Thursday and Friday nights at a comedy bar and it works well with my audience here. I use the curtain covered hoop for this. I show myself in half for about five seconds only. I had to modify the prop so I can do it more easily and foolproof. :stuckinbag:
What is the effect? Thanks.
Jim
At any time during your show you make half of your body completely disappear in the blink of an eye, then just as quickly, you return to normal.

I wish these came pre-assembled. I dislike building things. :lol: Go to his [url=http://weirdthings.com/plans.htm]site[/url].

Go down and watch the video for it.
I saw someone do this and it looked good. It shouldn't be done twice, like much of magic.
Message: Posted by: david_a_whitehead (Oct 24, 2003 11:48PM)
It is a great effect...
This effect is not impractical, and it can be done with AM's other effects. The problem that you will have combining the effects is simply stated in three words.

Building the Routine.

When done PROPERLY it has GREAT impact.

MM
Its not for every act, but my buddy Tony Brent does it 6 nights a week at Wonder Works in Orlando and it works well as a quicky.
I've wanted this trick for some time. I had watched the video clip and was absolutly mistified. My step-mom saw thru it immediately. I know how it is done, but am uncertain on the contruction, do you think I should still buy it?
Do you have to build LEGS and hide yourself behind them? How can that be preformed surrounded?
We can not disclose what you are building since that will tip off the method. But yes you have to build a gimmick. It is real easy and cheap to make. It cost me around $30 USD and about 25 min to build it.

To perform it surrounded you use a hola-hoop with a curtain contacted to it. Great trick and it is fast and stunning.

Hope that helps.

Michael
Bi Section is not a stand alone effect but more of a visual shocker during other effects.. Your audience will do a double take and think 'Did I just see that."

I agree with Michael though, it is a nice piece and very original..
I agree... it's not a stand alone effect. But trust me, it makes for an awesome closer to a Halloween routine.

Leo
Do you think it would be better if an assistant were to lower the curtained hoop while you were standing inside and your torso vanished? Because if your upper part really vanished, then the curtains should all drop down. What do you think?
I didn't perform Bi-Section until I could find a reason for 1/2 my body to disappear. Then I found it! I do Andrew Maynes Bowling ball from a paper sack (Shock FX video). As the ball hits the floor, it startles everyone, including my assistant. I ask her to retrieve the ball for me and she responds "I'll get it for you alright". As she walks towards me holding the ball, I pretend to sheild myself using my jacket (the get-ready). She then throws the ball at me but it sails over my pants (through my disappeared upper body). When I restore myself, I exclaim to her, "Don't make me do that again". By combining 2 of AM's effects, I feel there is a reason for my body to disappear.
She really tosses a bowling ball that high and hard.
It's an 8lb bowling ball. When she tosses it, she is only 2 feet away. She also says "Here you go". On the word HERE, I start to drop the cloth to reveal 1/2 my body gone. On the word "YOU", I have the cloth completely lowered and the illusion is complete. On the word GO, she releases the ball, and it goes over my pants and lands on the floor behind me. At the sound of the THUD, I raise the cloth and restore my body and exclaim "Don't make me do that again". It's an amusing piece and I enjoy performing it.
I like it Muzicman, my kind of routine.
Hi everyone,
I'm glad to finally be a member of the Magic Café. I figured I would do my first post here.
I have been looking very hard at this illusion and have been thinking of a purchase in the near future. I checked out the photo animation of it on Andrew Mayne's website. Please pardon my asking right off the bat. He has his shirt untucked for the effect and I was wondering if that is a must? I use the semi-formal look (tucked shirt) when I'm onstage. I'm liking the idea of being cut in half, NOT with a laser. :) Thanks guys.
BLSMagic,

I perform this with a tucked in shirt and it's great. You can perform this tucked or untucked. In fact, I think it is stronger with a tucked in shirt. If you are considering it, you should buy this effect. It is a strong piece of magic. The instructions are very clear. And for an illusion, it is at a very inexpensive price. I love it and it gets great reactions for me.
Semo,
Thanks for the reply. I think that seals it for me right there. I'll probably have it for my next big show. Thanks again.
BLS, Let us know how it goes. Read the manual, make the effect but do more than just that. The actual reveal part (where your half your body vanishes) really only takes a matter of 4-5 seconds. The build up around it is key. Don't just simply do the effect. Build it up with dialog, routine, maybe effects before it, etc. By itself as a quick gag, I think it would be wasted.

In fact, I just performed this effect Friday night to a group of 15, along with a number of other effects. THIS is what they remembered. It blew them away. But I build it up with patter and routine for a good 4 minutes before the actual vanish.

Good luck with it.
Hi Guys,

I have a made-up gimmick/prop for Bisection for sale that I only used once... then ended up getting more into card magic. So that I don't give away any secrets, please feel free to contact me me at jlewis358@gmail.com & I will be more than happy to describe exactly what it is made up of & can also supply photos. I'm flexible, pricewise... I'll agree to anything "fair" & ship it to you.

Thanks guys!
Johnny
Bisection is very good idea , I would like create myself
The weakness of the effect is that, logically, there is no way that you could be holding up the cloth. I've solved these issues a few years ago with Kick in the Head, a decapitation with the balance of the head on my foot after revealing the neck stub. I was inspired by Bisection, and I feel that it's a huge step forward. But, not a practical effect for street, living room, etc. Only viable for a larger stage, like I use at Wonderground in Vegas.

The other problem is that people are more shocked than amazed. They KNOW that it's not a real torso, severed head, etc. You really need a comical presentation for this piece, because that's where it always goes, in my opinion, with vast experience.

It's a hassle to transport the pole, protect the head and torso in shipping, and then the physicality of doing KITH is very rigorous, even more leg muscles to perform than the Magellan levitation.

Jimmy
I did it as a stand-alone effect. I used my daughter as a "volunteer" from the audience. I then talked about sawing a woman in half, the management doesn't want me to get blood on the stage, yadayadayada. I then proceeded to perform the effect. Audience loved it.