(Close Window)
Topic: The Stop Trick...
Hello all,

I am a fan of effects of "the stop trick" variety. These include card-at-an-number, open prediction, etc. Essentially they are all a specified card ends up at a specified position in the deck effects. While I have a few methods for the stop trick that require sleights to perform (i.e. Christ's "Stop When Ready", J.K. Hartman's Drop Stop technique used after a control, etc.), I'm wondering if you all have come up with or know of any resources containing self-working methods for this type of effect.

If you're not familiar with it, the effect would look similar to this: A spectator chooses a card which is shuffled into the deck. The cards are then dealt and the spectator tells the magician (or possibly another spectator) to stop dealing. The card stopped on is the selection.

Any ideas? The only one I've been able to find thus far is "The Stop Trick" from Card College (I believe volume 4, but I'm not positive) and it involves a cull and faro slough-off to set the deck from an impromptu situation. If the deck is preset however, the trick is virtually self-working.

By the way,

I'm looking for versions using a normal deck. No Svengali's, etc. Sorry!
You might be interested in Open Prediction Project by Thomas Baxter: http://www.thoughtcontrol.ca/TheOpenPredictionProject/

Out of 51 very unique methods in the e-book, not all are easy but quite a few are either self-working or relatively easy to do. And it will surely give you many new ideas and presentational insights for that type of effect.
Thanks Picard. Do you like the ebook?
‘Psychic Stop!’ from Expert Card Technique is a [b]perfect[/b] trick. It’s also in DB’s Pure Effect in which he also describes a subtlety which can be used as an out if needed. It's a wonderful bit of psychology and it’s so clean.

You fairly deal single cards from the top of the pack (at fingertips and dropping them from a height to emphasize total fairness of procedure) into a pile on the table, the spectator says stop and turns over the card upon which they stopped. No funny business, it is the chosen card!

I’ve never had to resort to using the out. The only drawback would be performing it for a difficult spectator – but then why would you want to?
Thanks, I'll check this out right away.
[quote]
On 2008-12-13 15:46, Picard wrote:
You might be interested in Open Prediction Project by Thomas Baxter: http://www.thoughtcontrol.ca/TheOpenPredictionProject/
[/quote]

Yes, I agree. There is some very clever thinking here, and Tom's historical info and appendices are, for me, worth the price of admission.
[quote]
On 2008-12-13 18:19, the fritz wrote:
Thanks Picard. Do you like the ebook?
[/quote]
I sure do. As Magiguy said, historical perspective is really great and interesting and also there is so much material in it. I usually read an e-book in a day or so, I have been reading OPP for a few days, enjoying and trying out some of the better routines. My mind is filled with so many good ideas.
Marlo Marlo Marlo. Read Marlo, and more Marlo. He has tons of methods for The Stop Trick. He also has tons of methods for The Open Prediction. You can start in The Heirophant. They are hard to come by, so try The Legendary Heirophant.

Best,
Trini
Has any said Stop by HL yet?

Ryan
Hello Fritz,

Another good thread you have started.

Personally I shy away from Stop tricks requiring the spectator to stop on psychological grounds or needing much sleight of hand since my handling skills are limited at best.

I know of an effect, which has some elements of the stop trick from the spectator’s viewpoint.

EFFECT.

The performer removes a deck of cards and spreads it between the hands showing blue backs and mixes the cards with a shuffle (no false shuffle here)

Cards are spread between the hands and in the time honoured tradition the spectator takes one (free choice) and remembers it – JH.

Card returned to middle of the deck (no breaks etc – deck can be tabled if required). Deck given a few cuts.

Performer tell spectator selecting a card is the easy part, finding it is far far harder especially when the spectator is asked to find the card themselves.

However the spectator may think his card is lost and only the gods know where it is but help is at hand.

The performer spreads the cards between his hands and somewhere in the deck a single red backed card is appears with words written on the back in bold.

This card is cut to the top of the deck and displayed so the spectator can read the words.

“LOST YOUR CARD”
“TO FIND PLEASE”
“INSERT THIS CARD INTO DECK”

The spectator is asked to hold the facedown red card as the performer shuffles deck.
At the end of the shuffle the performer if so desired can show a few of the top and bottom cards to prove he has not controlled the spectators card there.

The performer spreads the cards between his hands and the spectator is asked to insert the card he is holding partway into the deck. (No force)

The performer explains to the spectator that there are in fact more instructions on the other side of the card, at which point the performer turns the card over, the spectator can see words on the card but before he can read them the card is pushed into the deck and the deck handed to the spectator.

The performer recaps

The deck was shuffled at the start
Spectator had a free choice of card
Card lost into the deck
He removed a helping hand card and the deck was shuffled again
Finally he inserted the helping hand card anywhere in the deck.

The spectator is asked to deal the facedown cards onto the table in a pile one at a time and at some point the red backed card will appear.

The spectator can now read the words on the back.

“CARD STILL LOST ??”
“THEN WHAT YOU SEEK IS
“EIGHT CARDS DOWN”

The spectator now deals cards slowly onto the table counting each one, 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 .

The eighth card he holds – He is asked to name his card – JH – He turns the card over in his hand and it is the JH.

Deck is normal and can be used for the next effect. Reset is about 10 seconds.

Best regards

Andy
Andy,

This sounds excellent. I love the idea. It has inspired me to use another idea I've been playing with in place of the red card you mention. The only reason for this is to be able to perform the effect impromptu without the need to carry a prepared card. Otherwise, I like the idea of using an instruction card. You never fail to surprise me with great and inspiring ideas.
Hello fritz ,

If you idea works out , I would love to hear about it.

Keep posting good threads which get me thinking.

Andy
Oh forgot to say should anyone actually want the effect I will send them a copy of the full instructions , just PM me.

Andy
Andy,

Sure thing. I'll PM you with an idea.
[quote]
On 2009-02-24 19:29, MagicT wrote:
Marlo Marlo Marlo. Read Marlo, and more Marlo. He has tons of methods for The Stop Trick. He also has tons of methods for The Open Prediction. You can start in The Heirophant. They are hard to come by, so try The Legendary Heirophant.

Best,
Trini
[/quote]

I agree.

Try "The Perfect Stop Trick" (1945)from "Marlo's Oddity and Other Miracles," republished in "Early Marlo" Magic Inc. 3rd printing 1979.
Thanks for the input everyone. I'll check some of these references out.
For those Café memebers who have asked for a copy of the effect , I am busily updating the write up to do justice to the effect and having it proof read
Thanks for letting us know, Andy!

Take all the time you need.
But, HURRY UP!/lol

Thanks again!

Very best regards,

Sixten
What a lovely little effect it is,too! Well done, Andy!
Andy,

I've sent you a PM for your "CARD STILL LOST" trick. Sounds great!
(How did you name this trick, by the way?)

Just curious: what type of card do you use for the red card you mention? Is it a standard card with home-made labels (or marker pen writting) or a custom/special card (i.e. g***ed card, if you see what mean...)?
You should check out one for the money by Bill Goldman a nearly self working stop trick. This really kills with very little work.

Paul
Thanks Captainsmiffy for your kind words.

Bikoz you can either use a standard red backed card , say the 4H and write on it with Sharpie or I prefer using a blanked face red backed card which can be obtained from most magi shops.

Andy
Direct Mindreading- Trevor Lewis, Roger's Thesaurus. spec names favourite card. Magi deals into spec's palm. spec says stop. BAM ... spec's favourite card... awesome.

Fish
Ah, that sounds good, magicfish. I might need to check that out. I've always been intrigued by Roger's Thesaurus but never bought it. I'm guessing you think it's good? Also, I've always been under the impression that the material in it is difficult. True?
[quote]
On 2009-04-27 00:55, captainsmiffy wrote:
What a lovely little effect it is,too! Well done, Andy!
[/quote]

Andy was nice enough to send it to me as well. I have to agree.
Somewhere on the web (Youtube?)a few months ago I saw a competent young man do a trick he called the Perfect Stop Trick. I think he con------d the selection t- t-- t--. He then started dealing cards in a row, asking the spec to say stop. When the spec did, holding the stopped-on card in his right hand, with his left he laid down the next few FU in the row, saying "You could have stopped me on any of these". He then laid down the remainder of the deck in a second row FU, saying "Or any of these." Finally, he turned FU the FD cards in the initial row, saying "or any of these", and using -- I think -- a Mex---- Tur---- on the first card. He then revealed the "stopped-on" card. I cannot find it on the web anymore, but IMHO it looked very good. Anybody know what this version is called and where it is published?
Andy's routine is a great variation of The Stop Trick. Like all of the stuff he comes up with, this is an entertaining, gimmickless, everyday worker.
If I am not mistaken Andy will contributing to Mind Blasters 2...keep your eyes peeled and support new talent.

Paul Mc.
Fritz, The book is certainly not for beginners, but the material is fantastic. Roger Crosthwaite isn't mentioned much here, but he is among the elite. The book is a must have for the serious student. A lot of the material is technically demanding but is usually the most direct or expedient means or method; in other words, not tuff for tuff's sake. If you are a student of card magic, this book is a must have\read.

Sincerely, Magicfish
Thanks magicfish.
Thanks Paul for the kind words.

It is up to Peter Duffie to decide whether my contributions go into his latest ebook, he has plenty to choose from and I sure it will be as good if not better that the first vol .

Andy
David Forrests recent Radio Rental DVD has a seciton titled 'The ‘Never Fail’ Stop trick', which is a handling of the Psychological Stop Force with a good out for the occasions it doesn't work.

Also one could say that Extraordinary Proof from True Astonishments is a version of this with minimal slights.

Rob
[quote]
On 2008-12-13 20:19, john scot wrote:
‘Psychic Stop!’ from Expert Card Technique is a [b]perfect[/b] trick. It’s also in DB’s Pure Effect in which he also describes a subtlety which can be used as an out if needed. It's a wonderful bit of psychology and it’s so clean.

You fairly deal single cards from the top of the pack (at fingertips and dropping them from a height to emphasize total fairness of procedure) into a pile on the table, the spectator says stop and turns over the card upon which they stopped. No funny business, it is the chosen card!

I’ve never had to resort to using the out. The only drawback would be performing it for a difficult spectator – but then why would you want to?
[/quote]

Its not in Pure Effect.
Its in the Devils Picturebook tape though :)
you must have confused it somehow
I'd count Bannon's Dead reckoning from dear mr fantasy or the B.A.D. dvd as the very best in this category...

-Rob
Good call. Dead Reckoning is, well... Deadly.

Fish
But my two favourite stop tricks are Harry Lorayne's Stop from Close up Card Magic and Trevor Lewis' Direct Mind Control from Roger's Thesaurus

Fish
Another vote for Dead Reckoning by Bannon. What's even better is how he's shaped the presentation so that the spectator does not say out lout "stop" but the magish stops.