(Close Window)
Topic: Wellington Origami
Hi there,

I was looking at purchasing the Origami Illusion in 2009,does anyone here own a Wellington version.The pictures on their webpage look great & I was wandering if anyone could recommend it.John Gaughan has a grat reputation & I know of another magician who has a Gaughan model & Ive seen it up close & it blew me away how beautiful it was.Then I saw the Wellington version & Ive also heard Wellington are a terrific builder,ideally if anyone here has worked with both or seen both up close & were able to advise on it.Even though its mainly for stage I know its an illusion that can be performed relatively close up as I also do conference shows & the venues are usually hotels/convention centres.

Even though I have a decision to make on where to buy either way I will be purchasing this illusion from either one of the above,so I know its going to be great.I have seen enough of the knock off versions,some nice looking but still unauthorised,the vast majority just plain horrible.
Just look over this post.Is too big and has enought info about what you want to know.
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=219936&forum=7&527

Jis
Thanks JLS , yes the first page of the previous topic & I never even looked!
The main difference I have noticed between the two really depends on how your audience is looking at the prop. One looks better when the audience is seated above the prop and one looks better when they are seated below. So it will depend on what type of stages you will be working on.

John
Both builders are top notch and their props will stand up to use over time. I've actually seen them side by side and they are just about identical in all dimensions. There are a few subtle differences here and there but, that's about it.

I personally own the Wellington version. I was already familiar with Bill's work and I knew what to expect. He was great to work with and I can't tell you how pleased I was when I opened it up for the first time. It's a beautiful prop, finished inside and out.

I still get a kick out of performing this one .. it's one of my favorites. It works well under most conditions but, if it's not a level stage .. you should consider something else. Unstable risers can cause problems moving the prop on stage. That's the only thing holding me back from performing it more often.

Steve
Thanks Steve & John.I appreciate your help.Obviously it is quite an investment but hopefully it will pay off in the long term.It is one of the best illusions Ive seen in magic.

Jamie.
Don't count on any illusion paying for itself .. just doesn't happen. It's an investment of course, but they do keep their value over time. Better than any stocks right now.

Steve
Your Financial Adviser
Message: Posted by: Christopher Starr (Dec 24, 2008 03:53PM)
Too true, Steve - too true!
"illusion paying for itself" This has made us buy lots of things didn't it :)
I HAVE THE WELLINGTON AND couldn't BE HAPPIER. ITS VERY STRONG AND DURABLE. ITS A BEAUTIFUL PIECE AND ALWAYS A CROWD PLEASER. LOVE PERFORMING IT. U CANT GO WRONG WITH ONE.
Again I find on e-bay no original "Wellington" origami. http://www.jouhoo.com/tricks,c14014,p1.html .
And B.Schmeelk's comment:The illusion in the photos is definitely NOT built by Wellington. There has been an obvious attempt to copy our design, but I can assure you that it is neither authorized or licensed. I can tell even from the photo that it is lacking some of the subtleties of Jim Steinmeyer's illusion. It is definitely not a licensed version and certainly not worth the selling price. I have emailed the seller and advised him not to use my name so carelessly.

Sincerely,
WELLINGTON ENTERPRISES
Bill Schmeelk
I did not see the wellington name in the description when I saw it last night.

I am guessing it is not Gaughn version either?
Yes,Matthew,you are right,this time seller remove name of builder,past time he use him,my mistake.But illusion not original. Serg.
Isn't this the unit that was advertised in the Stage Illusions for Sale awhile back???

Blair
Yep.
EVERYTHING Bill makes is exceptional. His Origami is no exception. If you're getting an origami, wellington is the way to go.
Anybody know the cost?
Am I confused....that unit (the purple foldup box)....it looks like a real one to me...I believe it was for sale not long ago on here and I was under the impression that he was selling as an original unit....perhaps we are getting confused, please clarify. I am curious more than anything, because I thought for sure it was a real version.
It sold on eBay yesterday and, according to the seller, it was a slightly-modified Wellington Origami.
According to the seller, it was a slightly-modified Wellington Origami. (ClintonMagus)

OK,if I slightly modify Gaughan's model, I can sell my illusion and say this is an enhanced version with no problem? This is a rip off(fake). I repeat, I never view a rip off the same as the original and NEVER better! Serg
[quote]
On 2009-01-05 15:04, serg wrote:
OK,if I slightly modify Gaughan's model, I can sell my illusion and say this is an enhanced version with no problem? This is a rip off(fake). I repeat, I never view a rip off the same as the original and NEVER better! Serg
[/quote]

Don't shoot me; I'm only the messenger.

According to the seller, the illusion was a LEGITIMATE Wellington and was modified by the original owner to the owner's preferences. That might not have been the smartest thing to do with an expensive illusion, but in no way does that make it a rip-off.
Am I missing something here?? Didn't Bill Schmeelk himself say this was not his work above, on this post??

I took a look at the one on eBay recently and yes, something was odd about it. The dimensions were off on the prop. Not to mention many of the construction details were not the same. I don't think I have the auction saved to take a second look. At first glance, I knew something wasn't right.

Steve
Steve,

On e-bay you can go into your account and do a search for completed auctions "Origami", it should come up if you are interested.

Blair
Perform your search under "Magic", otherwise you will get hundreds of hits for origami books.
One of our fellow Magi here on the Café sent me a link. Under closer examination, in my opinion it is NOT a Wellington or never was.

Some of the differences include:

A. The Size of the Box
B. The Swords are not right
C. The Mirror is off
D. The Casters are not Shepherd brand
E. The Base is covered in Formica, not the case with a Wellington product

This is just what I can tell from these low resolution photos on eBay. I don't think this was "modified" there is just too many things that don't add up.

Steve
Okay.
Yes,yes and yes,Steve.And I want to add next: 1.aluminium molding(strip)not right 2.base have additional step under the bottom,therefore base little thick 3.mirror little narrow then original 4.side rails have other design,and other net 5.box have piano hinge,s not tape. And of course Bill Schmeelk's mail!!! Serg.
It's worth saying again....no one build like Bill! Anything less isn't worth it.
The Gaughn model is also well constructed prop that should be recognized. After all many top professionals use or have used his model. David Copperfield, Doug Henning, Seigfried & Roy and Brett Daniels just to name a few.

Johnny does amazing work .. one of the very best in the business.

Steve
Again,yes,Steve!!!!!! Serg.
[quote]
On 2009-01-06 17:58, serg wrote:
Yes,yes and yes...
[/quote]
[quote]
On 2009-01-07 07:20, serg wrote:
[/quote]
I'll have what he's having... ;)
[quote]
On 2009-01-07 14:50, SillverFoxx wrote:
[quote]
On 2009-01-06 17:58, serg wrote:
Yes,yes and yes...
[/quote]
[quote]
On 2009-01-07 07:20, serg wrote:
[/quote]
I'll have what he's having... ;)
[/quote]

Isn't there a movie out right now with Jim Carrey starring as Serg? :P
SILLVER FOXX.....WHAT DAY ARE YOU ARRIVING AT MAGIFEST? YOUR COMING A LONG WAY.
WEAR SOMETHING SO IT WILL BE EASY FOR ME TO SPOT YOU .. WAIT, YOU'LL BE THE ONLY CHICK THERE.

Did I miss something??

Steve