(Close Window)
Topic: Start with 4 coins classic palmed.... I hate those words!
I have no problem classic palming four coins. I am good to go up to about 5 or 6. (still working on seven for Reed's 13 coin matrix)

The problem I have is getting the doggone things out of my pocket. I can get one or two out without being too obvious, but any more than that I look like I am doing something that would get me arrested in most public places.

:wow:

I've got Bobo's book, Sankey's Coin video, Reed's Coin Ovations, and Roth's ECMME vol. 1 on the way. These are great resources for learning sleights and routines, but I have never seen anything on how to get multiple coins out of your pocket classic palmed discretely.

Does anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions or recommended resources would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Scott
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Apr 30, 2003 07:09AM)
Hello Scott,

You might consider using the coinbox as a helper for this.

When full, and mouth inward it holds coins nicely and is just one object to manage.
Scott,

As someone at the front end of my learning curve with coins, your headline cracked me up. When I run into the instruction to classic palm four coins, I hear the little voice in my head instructing me to "move along sir, nothing to see here."

Of course, classic palming four coins is not necessarily the problem, its the next step that usually makes me cringe...and practice.

Good luck.
Scott,

As someone who has never had any problem filling out a pair of pants, (that's right, ladies, you heard me...) I have noticed a similar problem in the past. (of course, it was the 70's and everybody had tight pants then)

Part of the problem is that when the coins are in position, the hand is not able to make a graceful exit from the pocket, if space is at all limited.

3 solutions:

1. Buy Baggy Pants
2. Assume the lifestyle of a starving artist until you attain solution 1 with the pants you have.
3. Press the coins into a flat spread, your thumb holding the spread against your fingers. This allows the hand to be removed in a flat position. Shift the coins to desired position under the cover of a gesture, or behind the back of a nearby spectator.

Solution 3 is especially valuable when the coins have to start in fingerpalm.

Given your obvious attraction to magic, it is entirely likely that solution 2 will present itself automatically. ;)

This little hint is a preview from my new book project, "Soft Coins, Baggy Pants." :bg:
That's a GREAT title for a coin book!

:rotf:

Baggy pants are not only an important utility device for stand up coin work, as is currently under discussion, but are also immensely helpful when lapping.

0pus
Thanks Curtis!

I don't need magic to help me adopt the lifestyle of a starving artist. I have a wife and two small boys who do an excellent job of it. :bg:

Actually, my main problem isn't getting them out of the pants, it is getting them classic palmed with one hand. For example, with one coin I can simply press it from finger tip rest to classic palm. Trying to do the same thing with four coins silently is precarious at best. I'll keep working on it!

Scott
Try this. When in the pocket go for the piecemeal approach, rather than a fishin' and a fumblin' get it into the best palm that you can (and it probably will be a terrible one), but you will be able to do it quite quickly. As long as you get them out of the pocket fairly sharply, then it will be okay. Then relax and put your hands behind your back. You can then manually adjust the stack in palm behind your back (this should take all of about 2 seconds). This works with a stack in one hand, or both hands and means you will have a nice, firm hold on the coins. It may require a bit of orutining on your part (are you relaxing while you explain what will happen in the next effect, have you asked them to shuffle a deck of cards - anything).
Hey Chris! Good suggestion. I actually tried something similar this afternoon that worked pretty well.

I did what you described. I just pulled the coins out in a crummy palm and then brought the hands together very relaxed in front as opposed to behind my back about belt high. I slightly overlapped the empty hand over the hand with the coins and used my thumb to adjust the coins in a better palm. It's silent and very discrete.

Scott