(Close Window)
Topic: PK ring effects
I have had a PK ring for a good while but never used it because I have to ask the obvious question "What can I do with it?" I really don't know how to use it because it makes to much noise if you try to steal a coin from a spectator's hand and it really isn't powerful enough. I read somewhere that you can put a pin into a match and make it stand on end on a spectator's hand but it just isn't powerful enough. Any suggestions on effects that I can do? Your advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Carlos
Carlos, how about an impromptu chop cup routine with a paper cup?
Have you tried stopping a watch?

Jim
Jim, is is really actually SAFE to stop a watch without ruining it?

and Rizzo what is a chop cup routine? sorry bout that :P

Thanks

Carlos
Prohibition!
You can do a quarter through soda can with a coin already planted in the can. (use the ring to keep it quiet.)
Or something similar.

Love, Maxi
Ok...like a coin in the bottle? hmmm I like that idea ill try it:)

Thanks

Carlos
I agree With VcosNJ!
Prohibition is great!(a Cap in Bottle Effect)

Anson
Hmm I think I have seen this before somewhere. Is it that you tap a cap on the side of a glass bottle and then the cap penetrates the bottle? If it is this would be great... Ill have to give it a try. I was this trick in a different way but I can see how it would work. Thanks again for all the responses!

Thanks

Carlos
Keep away from phones. It will ruin the screen and kill your battery cells.
Thanks, CM. My dad keeps warning me about this. Never had it happen to me, but I know people that it has happened to. And to everyone that's reading this, it applies to ANY type of magnet. NEVER PUT THEM NEAR YOUR COMPUTER OR CELL PHONES!

Thanks,

Carlos
Is there a good book or DVD for effects with a PK ring?
I believe there is a DVD called The Wizard PK Ring. It teaches all of the below.

Coin Thru Can
Glass Bottle Penetration
Plastic Bottle Penetration
Matchbox Penetration
Psychic Matchbox
Stopping Time
Haunted Deck
Deck Penetration
Coin Transpo
Psychic Coins
Coin Balance
Chopless Chop Cup
Haunted Fork
The Haunted Tom
Beer Mat Penetration

Written by and taught to you by the creators of the original Wizard PK Ring.

Running Time Approximately 50min
Sounds like a great video, Todd!

Thanks,

Carlos
Another vote for Prohibition. It's one of my favorite CIBs.

Thanks,
Dan
I have a Wizard G2 pk ring and use it for Prohibition and The Relic and Ring Thing and Ring on String.
Seek out a member here by the name Randi Rain, and ask her to sell you her DVD set on PK Magic.
Before I shattered my pk ring, I would do a bottle cap through bottle. Got a great reaction in the bar all the time!! Just like coin thru bottle, but use a folded bottle cap, no gimmicks!
Oooh, sorry to hear it broke. I guess I never really thought of that. I'll have to take better care of the ring.

Thanks,

Carlos
I had one that shattered, as well. I think I was performing Prohibition all of the time. I ordered one right away after that. That's pretty much all I use it for is Prohibition, and it's worth it.

Darren
I use my ring for a bottle cap thru bottle trick, and also a coin thru the bottom of a cup.
I use my ring for Daniel Madison's R.I.P. Try it, guys, it kills. :)
Use the PK ring with Scorpion or Spike.......
smash and stab effect...
You can also use it for UV Nightshades.
There is an effect you can do with a PK ring here

http://www.freemagictricks4u.com/scary-optical-illusions.html

and here

http://www.freemagictricks4u.com/scary-optical-illusions.html
Cap in bottle is undoubtedly an excellent trick for the bar.

Another good one is coin through a glass top table (whereby the coin drops into the spectator's hand).

However, stopping a spectator's watch is unquestionably THE most mind-blowing (and talked about) effect that it's EVER been my pleasure to perform.

As for damaging a watch - well let's be honest, you are only stopping it for just a few seconds. I must have used my Brother-in-Laws watch around 30 times - he's always asking me to show people it. It still ticks gently away; so I really don't think that there's any need to panic.
Another good idea is linking paper clips, the ring creates enough magnetism when holding one paper clip creating the illusion that you can cause them to link and then unlink under impossible conditions.

And is completely examinable at the start and finish.

Give that a pop.

All the best

R
Pretty noob question but is pk Spoon done with magnets too?
[quote]
On 2011-12-06 06:23, Suren wrote:
Pretty noob question but is pk Spoon done with magnets too?
[/quote]

If you mean the effect where the spoon (or other cutlery) moves on the table then yep - a PK ring is certainly one method.

Personally, I think it's the WORST effect you can do with a PK Ring; the hand movement above the spoon makes it so bloody obvious; and I've never yet seen it done convincingly. I'd much prefer to use an ITR to achieve the effect.

If you don't have a PK Ring yet Suren, it's honestly one of the most versatile gimmicks that you will EVER purchase. PM me if you want more details (promise I won't mention your video)! ;)
Lol, Yes I don't have it yet. Hut I was talking about the spoon bend which is called PK Spoon. Thanks for your help but I don't want to get it yet. And one more question thta everyone asks - is it completely safe to stop the watch?
Suren,

See my point above.

I can't go for a beer these days without my Brother-in-Law pulling his watch off and saying "show him how you stop my watch!". As they don't believe that it isn't a set up, I then stop theirs as well.

The method to date has NEVER been tumbled - and yep, his watch still continues to tick merrily away - despite having been subjected to the 'stop treatment' many times.

I truly believe that people who say this can damage a watch are just talking unproven twoddle if I'm honest. They are the same people that always worry about a spectators' ring flying through the air or losing precious stones when using a reel; or that you'll get caught palming a card....another couple of things that I've never actually had happen in the real world.

I sometimes wonder how these people ever summon up enough courage to cross a bloody road!
Thanks for you opinion. What about PK Spoon? I am really interested in it.
The stoping watch will fry a spectator.
Yeah, it has to be the stopping watch effect. Even though I haven't performed it alot. And then there's the bottle cap in bottle trick....damn what's the name of it?..ahh prohibition
What I have noticed with my Wizard PK ring is after I have worn it for afew hours the gold paint has blistered up inside the ring,has this happened to anyone else?
I am afraid to get a PK ring, I'd be fearful of frying my cell phone or something as stated before.
Well the one I have is not that powerfull,lol,i should imagine they can be brought more powerfull? was a little disapointed with mine,not too expensive ,but it cost enough,have heard that they can make your fingers go green? if worn for long periods.
Lots of cheap rings can make your finger turn green. That has nothing to do with it being a PK ring.

[url=http://chemistry.about.com/od/jewelrychemistry/f/Why-Do-Rings-Turn-Your-Finger-Green.htm]Why-Do-Rings-Turn-Your-Finger-Green.htm[/url]

-JoeJoe
[quote]
On 2012-02-21 15:05, JoeJoe wrote:
Lots of cheap rings can make your finger turn green. That has nothing to do with it being a PK ring.

[url=http://chemistry.about.com/od/jewelrychemistry/f/Why-Do-Rings-Turn-Your-Finger-Green.htm]Why-Do-Rings-Turn-Your-Finger-Green.htm[/url]

-JoeJoe
[/quote]yes I know that ,lol,i paid 20.00 pound ,so not to cheap ,well not to me and its a WIZARD one so thought it would be good,still use it so no probs,just wonder why it blisters up,some people can t wear watch's because there magnetic feild messess them up.
I always use my PK ring for close up or parlor routine... lots of idea there
A good source is supermagnetman .net
he has them in n50 strength if you want.
Cap in bottle effect - 'Prohibition'. Easy to do and great reactions.
China seems to be hoarding the rare earth material. Good PK rings have doubled in price over the past year or so, and will go higher. I would recommend buying a couple and holding on to them. As Bowers mentioned above, Supermagnetman is an excellent source.
[quote]
On 2012-01-09 22:47, bowers wrote:
[/quote]

I was practicing stopping a watch using my own and it never restarted! I'm sure it was down to my poor handling but it scared me from ever trying it on a spectators watch.
It's hard to find, but Subterfuge is a good effect using a ring.
[quote]
On 2009-01-04 22:49, jimhlou wrote:

Jim
[/quote]

You can stop a pacemaker to !!! now that is a hell of a trick...
(but seriously)

A PK ring is great fun and versatile indeed.
I put a little magnet in the filter of a cigarette so it can balance on my hand with a little practice.
Just remove a bit of the filter foam an glue it back so it will not pulled out by the magnetic force.

Merlin
Stopping the watch has to be the number one best use for a PK ring but that's just, it really does just melt the spectators brain.
Mainly used mine for CIB and stopping watch, must try did it out again
[quote]On Jan 4, 2009, jimhlou wrote:

Jim [/quote]

this always scares the crap out of me.. I get that scared feeling like... "i really hope this starts moving again"
I've never had an issue with people's watches being damaged. However, I've also never had a PK ring capable of doing it without placing it directly against the watch. I prefer to stop it while it's on their arm andnever touch the watch. You guys have rings powerful enough to do that??
Who sells a quality siver strong pk ring. I live in UK.
[quote]On Jul 12, 2012, Pompey2L.A. wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-01-09 22:47, bowers wrote:
[/quote]

I was practicing stopping a watch using my own and it never restarted! I'm sure it was down to my poor handling but it scared me from ever trying it on a spectators watch. [/quote]

I realize this post is 2 years old. Anyway it's new to me.

I recently got a current generation Super magnet man n50 PK ring with the field facing out, $30. Way more powerful than my cheap Chinese $5 ring. I have to say I'm a bit worried about the adverse capabilities of this ring. Someone said magnets don't clear credit card but they do room keys is wrong! Any magnetic data strip can be erased just like cassette tapes were in the past. I also worry about damaging the geo sensor in my iphone 5. I have an app that measures magnetic field and when it's being overloaded shows red. Just holding my phone with this ring is overloading the meter. I also think my signal strength could be affected as it drops from LTE to 3G when I wear my PK N50 ring. As for worrying about damaging a watch, one thing to consider is that most automatic mechanical watches these days are very expensive watches. I don't see any "cheap" mechanical watches being sold. I have a $5000 automatic Hublot watch and I've stopped and started it but how many times can a watch take being magnetized? Also as this poster stated his didn't restart. Can you imagine coming up to me and saying look I can stop your watch, stopping my watch and it not restarting? I'd say it worked before and now it doesn't, I'll send you the repair bill!

If you see these names I'd avoid playing with these watches! http://luxatic.com/top-29-most-expensive-luxury-watches-in-2010/
Ordered both the ring and the DVD and excited to get it, but really just waiting to get Prohibition which seems to be universally liked.
Chop cup routines are great if you are a table hopper. There are many quick routines out there and with a restaurant cup you are ready to go. I approach the table and say excuse me but I need to replace your cup with a new one. I give them a clean cup and use their cup on the table for the trick. Really fun and the watch stopping trick is an excellent closer. :o)
Message: Posted by: blue dragon magic (May 25, 2015 05:19AM)
These days the ring comes with a DVD to get you going but as for me I use it like a raven with lethal tender where the coin changes place it uses a shimmed card I take away the card and use the ring instead. My problem with any magnet source is forgetting I have it on handle my wallet and now I have erased the magnetic strip on the back of my bank card.
I often use a PK ring for the Body Language effect on the street. It gets a good response.
Has anyone perfected a good pk ring/ chop cup routine? Something like chop! By Craig petty?
I use a PK ring for chop instead of the sharpie. Works better for me.
Some PK ring effects I didn't see mentioned here are Miser's Dream and Coin into Balloon.
There are some brilliant DVDs out there with plenty of PK effects. However, I understand the whole thing about the ring making too much noise. I recently purchased the Silent Assistant from SansMinds. It's a tad bit expensive for what it is, but it gets the job done and I've been happy with my purchase. It is 10x quieter than a traditional PK ring. Maybe give it a shot! https://www.sansminds.com/product/silent-assistant/
I don't like SansMinds as they make me build most of the perops and they are often poor on angles and they hype and cut their videos. BUT the Silent Assitant is an exceptional product and much more useful than the current PK rings because of the auto noise dampening. Vistas White is right on IMHO.

Also - there is a great japanese video covering the performance and methods of about 10 PK ring effects at this link. It will get you thinking! Some very good ideas there. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghMIDzdr_gQ Hope this helps!
These are my favorites -
Glass Bottle Penetration
Psychic Matchbox
Stopping Time
Haunted Deck
Chopless Chop Cup
Haunted Fork
Thanks Debjit!!! Which Psychic Matchbox do you use? Do you have a link to a performance or site?