(Close Window)
Topic: So why don't you get reel magic?.
I'm just curious fir you guys who don't get this...WHY? maybe I can do better

koz
I am a subscriber BUT...

A good idea might be to add some more columns. General news would be great, kind of like Kaufman Speaks I think it's called. The Guy Hollingworth column has always been a favorite of mine. They should add more traditional magazine like columns. But the columnists in Reel Magic... David Regal, Garret Thomas, Jon Armstrong... they are great!
The music is starting to get on my nerves.....change it PLEASE!!!!!
[quote]
"They should add more traditional magazine like columns"
[End of Quote]

that's what I like about Reel Magic...its not your cookie cutter traditional magazine and I hope it never becomes one.. I get Magic magazine and love it for different reasons.
Reel Magic has the only commercials I will actually watch and not reach for the remote

If I could subscribe I would but I guarantee I will purchase each issue individually til I can. Can't wait for vol 9
[quote]
On 2009-01-06 17:40, Andi Peters wrote:
The music is starting to get on my nerves.....change it PLEASE!!!!!
[/quote]

I second this!
We will likely change the music sometime in the near future BUT its not as easy as you would think

koz
I for one really like the music. Makes me think, "ah... reel magic time again!"

I'm not a subscriber, but I do buy every issue as soon as it is available.

I'd love to see just a short section at the start with, as magicman4646 suggested, General News.
I would like to see Reel magic magazine as a subscription on Itunes. I feel that Reel magic is so with the times that taking it with you everywhere would be perfect. No wait, no shipping costs, just pure magic when ever you want it.

Please Koz.

Juliegel
Juliegel, I think that's the natural progression for this product.....

how would you guys feel about an mp4 file on the disc so you can just dump it to your I pod?

koz
That sounds great Koz! But in the future...

Juliegel
Yea were looking at everything...but security is a problem...now I suppose the people who steal it are going to steal it...torrent sites and copying for their friends...but I don't want to make it easier for them...

this project is doing well and those who thought we wouldn't make were wrong BUT were not so secure that we can have guys e-mailing the magazine to all their friends... I keep telling myself that our market is honest people... but still

this is an issue with all the projects that I produce....we would have produced some very special things if it weren't for this problem...it is what it is

koz
Koz,

Picked up Volume 1 at a Barry's the other day. I'll be subcribing soon. I really enjoyed it!

Mario
I received the first edition as a free gift from a UK site which gives you a choice of free items when you spend £40 or more.
I enjoyed it so much that I subscribed from Issue 2 and have not missed one.

The people that haven't seen it really are missing out. There's so much good stuff on each disk and I look foward greatly to each issue.

David Regal is just hilarious in his column and I also like Jon Armstrong's advice. Excellent mag and one that should be supported.
Koz,

I love the mag. You do great work. A couple of suggestions - I loved the Magic News section of The Lecture Network when it was online. It had up to date news and quick little bits that were interesting. Also, for me, the more instruction and product reviews, the better... It makes the issues worth re-visiting frequently!

Thanks again. Great work.

Michael
To return to the question: I had stopped buying [i]Reel Magic[/i] but have ordered new issues (as mentioned in another thread). Thank you, Ted, for cleaning up the act!

*jeep!
--Grandpa Chet
We love the idea of a magic news section....the problem for me is it dates the publication and we don't want that...how ever, its certainly something that we keep tossing around...

I love suggestions!

Koz
I purchased Issue 2 at the Magic Circle Dealers day and have
subscribed from Issue 3 and have not missed one.

The Quality gets Better and Better with each DVD

I love David Regal and Simion Lovell plus the feature interview is always worth watching

Excellent magazine

Martin
You REALLY need to work on your chapters. If you try to skip something, you never know where you'll end up on the dvd.
What I don't understand is why people are looking for previously viewed copies of Reel Magic instead of getting a subscription. I know times are tough right now but come on, $10.00 brand new is pretty reasonable. Plus, each copy is delivered straight to your home. You can even buy back issues straight from Koz. I may be out of line with this but I think that all of us who has a subscription, or who purchase Reel Magic new should refuse to sell their copies. Why wouldn't anyone want to support Reel Magic? It keeps getting better and better. Koz is absolutely dedicated to this DVD magazine, and it shows with every episode.
[quote]
On 2009-02-16 15:34, Gospel Dan wrote:
What I don't understand is why people are looking for previously viewed copies of Reel Magic instead of getting a subscription. I know times are tough right now but come on, $10.00 brand new is pretty reasonable. Plus, each copy is delivered straight to your home. You can even buy back issues straight from Koz. I may be out of line with this but I think that all of us who has a subscription, or who purchase Reel Magic new should refuse to sell their copies. Why wouldn't anyone want to support Reel Magic? It keeps getting better and better. Koz is absolutely dedicated to this DVD magazine, and it shows with every episode.
[/quote]

I'm an early adopter in some things, and come very late to the dance with others. I'd seen Reel Magic available in a bricks and mortar store when it first came out, but initially thought it was kind of like an electronic version of "Variety", applicable only to those who were deep insiders to magic. Not having seen it, and not having heard of its producer at the time, I was reluctant to spring for a subscription, or even a single new copy.

When a few copies of back issues came up for sale here on the Café at reduced prices (even though $10 an episode is dirt cheap), I figured what the heck! So I got a few --

And when I met Koz, I subscribed. Thankfully, the "secondary" market in these got me to see and appreciate (and enjoy immensely) this ePublication.
That sounds fair. Glad to see that you got a subscription.
I'm a subscriber and highly recommend Reel Magic. It is excellent and it keeps getting better. Can't wait for my next issue.

P.S. Really enjoyed your lecture last night in Richmond. Keep up the good work Koz!!
Koz,

I cannot tell you how much I enjoy my subscription. I wrote on the Genii forums that it is the best deal in magic. I'll say it here again.

Reel Magic is the best deal in magic. It's entertaining. Each issue has great effects by people who teach them really well. The people who appear on your discs are all world-class magic stud-puppies as well!

Those who do not subscribe are missing out on DVDs that will be collectors' items and much sought after, in the years to come.

Thank you for all the hard work it must take to put this thing together every quarter.

Kent Gunn

http://www.bamagic.com
Actually 6 times a year :) kent, you hit the street yet?

koz
[url=http://www.themagicbakery.com]The Magic Bakery[/url] has been a supporter of [url=http://www.reelmagicquarterly.com]Reel Magic[/url] from the start and I will continue to do so. [url=http://www.reelmagicquarterly.com]Reel Magic[/url] is hands down the best value dollar for dollar of any current publication in magic. :)
It is excellent and every issue is a joy that has plenty of things of interest on it. A lot of hard work has gone into making this and the end result is something of great quality.
Reel magic is the best bang for my buck!
Iv'e been a subscriber for more than a year now and have come to the conclusion that I am a bit bored with the content of this "magazine". Surely they can come up with content that is other than coins and cards. I am so sick and tired of lectures on card handling and coin tricks that the DVD usually sits among my pile of "real" magic magazines that need more than a DVD player to access the information. Granted, the interviews are informative and often interesting, but I can read an interview just as simply and do not have to scan a DVD for a "gem" of information that I may want to bookmark.
As I stated in a facebook link, I have never seen anything about silk magic, rope magic, mentalism, flower magic, classic magic, illusions etc.etc.etc.
This magazine could be so much more interesting. How about a "column" on illusion building? Or take a classic trick and do an in depth analysis each month. There is so much more than coins and cards! Inless I see some changes, I for one will not re-subscribe.

Arthur
I like the issues I have received so far, but I think Martello makes an excellent point! More variety would be great.
I agree....Thats why we added "be my guest" ... this column allows us to put some really big names in the magazine every issue....this is going to be a really fun column

Look for something new in every issue.....lots of new content....i promise
I really enjoy Reel Magic. It's gotten better year after year.

There are a few things I'd like to see. Up till now, almost all of the featured magicians have been Americans.
And while they've all been excellent performers and creators, it seems time to add more international flavor.

I'm thinking of people like Jaun Tamariz, Rafael Benatar, David Stone, Tom Stone, Lennart Green, Derren Brown the guys from the Flicking Fingers in Germany to name a few.

Magic is so much more than than just America.

And along the same lines, how about a segment that shows video clips of emerging talent from around the world.

All the best in 2010
Motown, we are in 2010 starting to working Europe...I'm not really sure that there will be a feature there because we have some guys in the can right now BUT we will be making an effort to expand where we work from...I appreciate your comments...I'm going to blackpool in Febuary and ge to know he guys over there.

thanks
Koz
Koz,

good to hear. And I do know that Wayne Dobson is in the current issue.
Perhaps when some of the international performers are here in the US,
that would give you the opportunity to interview them.
Any suggstions?....also were looking for new ideas for columnists
I had made a suggestion about presenting a Gospel magician on an issue, but other than Gaddy thinking it was a good idea, it was otherwise ignored.

I'm not trying to suggest that ReelMagic become a christian video magazine, but Gospel magic is a legitimate genre of magic is it not? You have Silly Billy doing a kids segment so why not a segment for Gospel magic. Not everyone performs Gospel magic, but not everyone performs kids magic either.

I'd also love to see more about stage magicians and illusionist instead of just close-up artists.

Happy New Years everyone!
Dan, it wasn't ignored...we read everything here....i get 6 covers a year so its there are some really big names that are available.... I have no issues with this idea.....i'm sure it will happen.....i just haven't had the opportunity

I appreciate everything suggestion that we get here.....it helps drive this forward...PLEASE keep bringing them

koz
First of all, let me just state that while I don't have a subscription (still trying to figure out why not!), I do buy them individually from my local magic shop. It is one of the ways I support both you and him.

I really like the Silly Billy segments, in part because he discusses presentation aspects, not just particular magic tricks.

I am also glad that you cleaned up some of the "language" issues.

One thing I think would be very interesting would be a column on magic performance and presentation.
Ted, I used to just pick it up at a brick and mortar, where my trips to pick up this and another 'trade' were my excuse for making the drive. There was rarely any other reason for being there other than socializing, so I used this for my excuse. I have since subscribed and have to agree with Kent. This is the best deal going! THe content continues to improve, the columns and columnists continue to impress, and while I am a voracious reader, I have learned quite a lot through Reel Magic. Continue to go in the direction you're going, let the nit picky gripes just roll off of you, and I'll keep subscribing. Guys, get on this - it is well worth it!

Mark
Thanks Guys I appreciate the kind words..... BUT we need drive this forward. I'm convinced this can be much better....We have a lot new things happening over the next few issues...our goal is something new every issue...to make some kind of improvement

thanks again and bring the ideas forward

Koz
I also would like to see more than just coins and cards and even close-up.

Parlor... how about a Jim Steinmeyer column! : )

Also would love to see more on mentalism, comedy and even marketing.
Tim, this is exactly what we are doing....you will se all kind of new stuff over the next 2 or 3 issues....also look for "be my guest" to have some heavy hitters in it

We really care about you guys so keep it coming.

Koz
I think it would be great to have someone with a lot knowledge of magic books, who could talk about many of the treasures out there that people might not be aware of or missed along the way.
Tim,

In fact, David Regal reviewed my illusion in the December edition of Reel Magic. He reviewed Sacred - The Child Conjuring Illusion, which is a parlor/stage effect where you produce a child with no box out of thin air. So Koz has already started the wheels in motion for parlor and stage magicians. Thanks for the great review David, and Koz for including in a great magazine.

Scott Emo
Scott,

I will check that out... Thanks!
I am a new subscriber.
I just think it is one of the best resources and in the know digital magazine.
Perhaps speed up the menu scroll in and maybe open all the choices all at once so the user has one less page to drill down to.
More bloopers please
Include some pdfs if possible.
A links page to the tricks or books that are plugged in that issue or an ongoing modest directory of online stores. Folks love to shop online especially magicians. Having said that more product reviews - old and new. and include book reviews.
Maybe if possible provide a what's coming next for the next issue - I know that might be a little tough.
Have a hot female host or interviewer - there I said it, yep more girls.
Thank you
I'd like to see maybe a five minute "Magic History" something where someone can give a quick rundown on a magician, maybe a quick little known story or something like that. I'm reading the Jay Marshall book and the stories and little side notes about other magicians is fascinating.
Pop in trailers for tricks and books like how movies have previews and dvds have them? or type of commercials especially if tag line says "TV for Magicians.
Bonus PDFs? on maybe how to make a gaff for a card or utility?
A directory of online shops and services.
And from a user standpoint, do away with the horizontal scrolling of table of contents maybe, just have it all show up with all the sub chapters of each main heading. Perhaps an animation of drop down menus such as on a website.
Just talking out loud on thoughts silly as they may sound.
We've added the some PDF's...take a look at the April 2010 issue....look for more of that :)
I always enjoyed watching everything on each issue, even if it's not related to a field I perform in. Jon Armstrong, Garrett Thomas and Simon Lovell are always excellent.

I would like to see some features on:
1) Mentalism
2) Bizarre Magic
3) Magic History

Keep up the great work.
Possible topics:
David Ben and Magicana might be a consideration for a mini story. A guy up in Toronto.
Gabe Furjuri
an index of past issues somewhere
maybe a tour or feature of RnTII, Outlaw Effects, Doug Higley, and other exclusive niche magic producers.

Everything is awsome! Thanks for putting out packed issue after issue.
a subscriber.
Freddie, Banachek is our new columnist... takes care of mentalism :)

koz
How about some reviews from some magic conventions or magic shops around the world think that might be interesting.

Best Leo Jr.
Looks terrific! Just ordered #16.
I had my stupid hat on and wasn't paying attention. Glad I saw this thread! I had skimmed over the title in the past thinking it was for magicians that used a 'reel'. Doh.
Leo, were going to Blaxkpool next year and will have a serious presence there....

welcome aboard Doug

Koz
Mr Kozmo,

If I may suggest perhaps a column or feature on bizarre magick?
Mr Higley would be the ideal person to feature for this, plus also some of the great performers here in the UK such as Paul Voodini, Roni Schaeney and Dr Todd Landman.

Go on Koz.... Some bizarrist stuff!!
[quote]
On 2010-05-25 14:58, Kozmo wrote:
Freddie, Banachek is our new columnist... takes care of mentalism :)

koz
[/quote]

Great news Koz!
Looking forward to issue 17 even more now!!
When is it due?
It mailed last week....you should have it now or in hte next day or 2

koz
Love to be able to view online immediately
I have enjoyed all the issues and just re-subscribed for another year. The only suggestion I can offer for improvement is the inclusion of a bit more stand up material.
Test
I picked up the first couple of issues when I saw them come out. and I really enjoyed them. I stopped getting them because my shelves are getting to cluttered with stuff. My magic Props and DVDs and Books and such. I even stopped picking up Genii and Magic magazine for the same reason. Recently I have been wishing to go to all digital on my iPad so I ripped my DVDs and bought digital copies of what books I could. Reel magic unfortunately does not rip will it breaks up into a ton of individual files so I never picked any more up. Magic is now all digital and so is genii so I picked them back up and I found out the reel magic is now doing a digital copy on there disks which makes me want to pick it up again as well. The only thing I wish for now is digital back issues that I may purchase, or digital only copies that get downloaded in iTunes or in an App like Magic magazines app.

One can only dream,
Red
[quote]
On 2011-01-24 22:35, Kozmo wrote:
Test
[/quote]

Rats! I didn't study and I don't have a Number Two pencil!

*jeep! and God Bless!
--Grandpa Chet
On every Reel Magic since the Garcia issue there is a video file on the disc that can be transfered to your lap top or smart phone....

Were also working on making a GOOD decision on how we want to make Reel Magic available via download or streaming....
WOW, that would be even better for me.

Thanks,
Red
I would like to see
History of some tricks,
collectors section, may be interview one or two collectors of specific items such as cups, and showcase their collections
Kids magic section

Thanks
There is a kid's magic section by David Kaye (Silly Billy).
Some of the featured interviews - such as Mike Caveney, also showcase their collection and describe some history.
I was sent an issue from a magic supplier as an appeasement gift for hosing my order. I was angry with the company and figured that this cheesy disk was some chintzy one-off chinese junk. WELL it was issue #11, and it really made an impact on my philosophy and gave me two wonderful card effects from John Armstrong himself. Plus the other goodies . . . I watch it every couple or three weeks for inspiration until I get some more :o) When the budget permits, I'll subscribe AND work out getting the back issues.
Well, I can tell you why I [i]do[/i] get Reel magic. Shortly before my initial subscription expired, I lost my job. Kozmo sent out an email to everyone in the database who had previously subscribed but had not renewed their subscriptions, asking what could be done to bring them back (much like the feedback he's seeking here).

I said, quite plainfully, that I love Reel Magic and that because of the loss of work, I needed to curtail expenses. Within the hour, I received a reply from Kozmo expressing his sympathies and offering a free issue of my choice.

Needless to say, I'll be a subscriber for as long as Reel Magic is around. (More happily, I'm employed once more and today my contract has been extended another year).

Thanks for the wonderful service, Koz!
I don't see why anybody would not get reel magic. This is great. When you subscribe you get hours and hours of magic delivered to your house. Interviews, columns, reviews. I really don't see why people wouldn't get this. I just watched most of my first Reel Magic DVD and it is great. It is entertaining and interesting. Even for someone who doesn't like card magic like me reel magic is great. I can't wait for the next issue. Thank you Kozmo
From,
Henri
By the way, when does the next issue come? I saw you had a flood, so a little late is okay.
It should be out early next week.... more info to follow
[quote]
On 2009-12-30 07:03, Martello wrote:
Iv'e been a subscriber for more than a year now and have come to the conclusion that I am a bit bored with the content of this "magazine". Surely they can come up with content that is other than coins and cards. I am so sick and tired of lectures on card handling and coin tricks that the DVD usually sits among my pile of "real" magic magazines that need more than a DVD player to access the information. Granted, the interviews are informative and often interesting, but I can read an interview just as simply and do not have to scan a DVD for a "gem" of information that I may want to bookmark.
As I stated in a facebook link, I have never seen anything about silk magic, rope magic, mentalism, flower magic, classic magic, illusions etc.etc.etc.
This magazine could be so much more interesting. How about a "column" on illusion building? Or take a classic trick and do an in depth analysis each month. There is so much more than coins and cards! Inless I see some changes, I for one will not re-subscribe.

Arthur
[/quote]

Halle-f****n-lujah! Someone finally said it! A message to the dorky, maladjusted, move-monkey kids: I know it has become your security blanket but why not try giving your paste boards a rest for Christ sake. At least long enough to try performing some magic with other items like balls, cups, dice, knives, paper currency, rubber bands, silks, sponge, etc. I am to the point where I cannot stand to see card tricks anymore. Most of you are slaughtering this age old art anyway. Might as well keep it limited to cards.

My girlfriend cannot stand Jon Armstrong and that group of card dorks sitting around wearing fedoras (as if they are actually from the hard streets of Chicago) as they debate what she considers the same weak, pathetic, cliche magic that every other magician out there is doing.

I shouldn't complain really. Instead I should be thanking you for making me stand out so much and appear like a diety amongst men when I change the denomination of paper currency from one dollar bills to one hundred dollar bills. Or perform my chop cup routine and produce full-sized lemons. One of which yielding a signed dollar bill that was burned minutes before the chop cup performance began. Or when I cause borrowed, signed quarters to visibly melt before the eyes of my spectators and fall into their waiting hands to keep as a unique and permanently altered souvenior. Or when I have my spectator's write the name of a person dear to them on a sticky note, fold it up, burn it, and have them send the name to me telepathically while staring into my eyes. You all make it that much easier for me. Just keep showing off your double-lifts and passes to each other and keep finding people's cards if you even perform in the real world :lol:

I think it should be called Card Magic Quarterly. The only columns I enjoy anymore are Silly Billy's, David Regal's, Simon Lovell's, and the featured interviewers really. The rest of the disc is a big stroke. Quit catering to the card dork kids that are probably ripping this publication off anyway and downloading it to the iPod their mommies bought them and start listening to and focusing on the performing professionals that are legitimately paying for their subscriptions.
I haerd this same conversation with mike close about mum. The problem is, there simply is not a lot of magic being done out there that's not cards or coins. This is what magicians do and I agree with you. Tell me who's doing magic out there that's not coins and cards. We look hard to find it and will continue. This is a conversation I had recently with Andrew Pinard about finding magic that's not cards and coins

And trust me I don't pander to kids ever. I don't pander to anyone ever actually.
however do care about what subscribers think.

However every once in a while you get a nice gem in those move monkeys which are the tools to create magic.

Go to a magic convention and what do you see..... Cards cards cards....I hate card tricks, hate card tricks. I'm feeling your pain but that's what there is. We do what we van do

I will miss you

kHz

Sorry you wont be coming back.

Goodly kin your magical life

kHz
I understand Koz. Personally, I will never stop subscribing as long as you keep publishing because it is, indeed, unique and the best value for the money. Over the years it has become something we look forward to receiving because the columns that we enjoy are just that good. I was just ranting and really just expressing my disgust with the state of the magic community and lack of individuality and creativity more than the publication. Just some food for thought for whatever it is worth. We love you.
I agree with you brother. We try trust me on that. But maybe I just need to try harder. We try to have at least one effect in each issue that's not card or coins.
I would love to get a columnist who could focus on other things. Roth does coins, Armstrong does cards (most of the time) So someone who does something else each issue.

Also look for a big name mentalist to grace the magazine soon.

Koz
By the way, we own every wonderfully entertaining issue from the very beginning. I still remember us freaking out when we saw Danny's advertisement for his Greed DVD which was only available as a manuscript at convention tables a short time before. Another thing we love are the bloopers at the end of the issues which always have us rolling in stitches. Absolutely love David Regal, Simon Lovell, and David McKay. I appreciate their intellectually stimulating and thought provoking approach to the art of magic. Of course, the featured interviews are always the icing on the cake.
Thanks....

koz
[quote]
On 2012-01-06 21:46, Kozmo wrote:
I haerd this same conversation with mike close about mum. The problem is, there simply is not a lot of magic being done out there that's not cards or coins. This is what magicians do and I agree with you. Tell me who's doing magic out there that's not coins and cards. We look hard to find it and will continue. This is a conversation I had recently with Andrew Pinard about finding magic that's not cards and coins

[/quote]

WTF! What about those of us who do stage performances? This is really closed mind thinking. Everyone else is doing coins and cards so you do too? I can't believe what I'm reading.

REEL magic is in danger of loosing it's audience unless changes are made. I'm sick of cards and coins as well, especially when there is tons of stuff that can be covered that hasn't even been touched on yet. It seems maybe it's time for some fresh faces on REEL magic. I for one can do without Jon Armstrong's sessions, and I hate to say this because David is a great person, but maybe it's time to get rid of Silly Billy for another children's entertainer. It almost seems like David puts his segments together in 4 minutes or less. And, I'll have to admit, I don't ever watch Wayne Kawamoto, Choice Cuts. I did at first, and it wasn't my cup of tea. Why the need for two segments that covers reviews? Isn't David Regal's reviews enough.

I also understand that Mr. Kozmo has had some serious flood damage to his home and property. My prayers go out to him and his family.
[quote]
On 2012-01-06 18:20, rmendez wrote:
[quote]
On 2009-12-30 07:03, Martello wrote:

Arthur
[/quote]

Halle-f****n-lujah! Someone finally said it! A message to the dorky, maladjusted, move-monkey kids: I know it has become your security blanket but why not try giving your paste boards a rest for Christ sake. At least long enough to try performing some magic with other items like balls, cups, dice, knives, paper currency, rubber bands, silks, sponge, etc. I am to the point where I cannot stand to see card tricks anymore. Most of you are slaughtering this age old art anyway. Might as well keep it limited to cards.

My girlfriend cannot stand Jon Armstrong and that group of card dorks sitting around wearing fedoras (as if they are actually from the hard streets of Chicago) as they debate what she considers the same weak, pathetic, cliche magic that every other magician out there is doing.

I shouldn't complain really. Instead I should be thanking you for making me stand out so much and appear like a diety amongst men when I change the denomination of paper currency from one dollar bills to one hundred dollar bills. Or perform my chop cup routine and produce full-sized lemons. One of which yielding a signed dollar bill that was burned minutes before the chop cup performance began. Or when I cause borrowed, signed quarters to visibly melt before the eyes of my spectators and fall into their waiting hands to keep as a unique and permanently altered souvenior. Or when I have my spectator's write the name of a person dear to them on a sticky note, fold it up, burn it, and have them send the name to me telepathically while staring into my eyes. You all make it that much easier for me. Just keep showing off your double-lifts and passes to each other and keep finding people's cards if you even perform in the real world :lol:

I think it should be called Card Magic Quarterly. The only columns I enjoy anymore are Silly Billy's, David Regal's, Simon Lovell's, and the featured interviewers really. The rest of the disc is a big stroke. Quit catering to the card dork kids that are probably ripping this publication off anyway and downloading it to the iPod their mommies bought them and start listening to and focusing on the performing professionals that are legitimately paying for their subscriptions.
[/quote]
I hate card tricks too, though, I love reel magic and I don't blame Kozmo magic for the card magic craze. I think there are many reasons for this, but I have a question.
Why are there so many card sleights released? Anybody can invent a card trick! I have invented them too!
I was talking about this with another magician recently and we both came up with a reason for this.

He said that all the card crap on theory11, ellusionist, etc. is there to make money off of beginners who don't know about good classic card tricks, though I can't even appreciate those anymore.

I thought that maybe there are some card magi that are just obsessed with learning card sleights and want to learn 100 ways to make a color change. I am not one of those magicians. As a matter of fact few people are, so why are so many sleights released by download and DVD? Couldn't they just put all these sleights in a book instead of charging ten dollars for a bottom control?
When I got the very first issue, I was thrilled. There was nothing like this. I also worried in time, it would lose its value and just become old hat.

Each issue has been as good or better than the last!

As far as content, if you go to your local club, late night convention sessions, etc. it's almost all cards and coins. I think to keep the interest ( sales ), they have to go with what is popular. In the end, it's a business like any other.

I'd like to see a buskers section. There may not be many buskers that get Reel Magic, but people are fascinated by it and I think would like to see them work and tip their hand on stuff.

Clarke
No, that's not it at all. It's what is being done. We can't find stand up or stage material. We can't find it.

At least 2 of the effects taught in reel magic are from other projects that are released to the magic community. So if no one is releasing stand up or stage material to the magic community then it's not there for us, this is not a decision that's being made because more magicians do card tricks and we want to sell them that stuff. It's because the material just is not out there. When was the last release in the magic community on stage magic?

We would love to do more material that's not cards. In the next issue 2 card tricks and a bill trick.

I would love to hear recommendations on who they would like to see in the magazine.

I appreciate your business that's why we try to make reel magic well rounded. It just doesn't always happen. We like there to be something in there for everyone. So that the less than $9 subscription price delivered to your house is not a waste.

kHz
The brilliant stage performer James Dimmare just released a 2 dvd set. If you can get him for an interview, he'll be candid and help so many people. He may say things people don't want to hear ( about professionalism ) but it will be eye/ear opening.
By the way zombie, I like busking too. You know that I guess
I have your dvds and your Magic Magazine issue. BIG fan.
Thanks
[quote]
On 2012-01-07 23:51, Kozmo wrote:
No, that's not it at all. It's what is being done. We can't find stand up or stage material. We can't find it.

At least 2 of the effects taught in reel magic are from other projects that are released to the magic community. So if no one is releasing stand up or stage material to the magic community then it's not there for us, this is not a decision that's being made because more magicians do card tricks and we want to sell them that stuff. It's because the material just is not out there. When was the last release in the magic community on stage magic?

We would love to do more material that's not cards. In the next issue 2 card tricks and a bill trick.

I would love to hear recommendations on who they would like to see in the magazine.

I appreciate your business that's why we try to make reel magic well rounded. It just doesn't always happen. We like there to be something in there for everyone. So that the less than $9 subscription price delivered to your house is not a waste.

kHz
[/quote]

Reel magic is in no way a waste. It is amazing. I was not ranting about reel magic in my post I was kind of talking about companies liek theory11 and ellusionist. I am sorry and the other anti-card magicians on this topic should be too about being annoying. I understand that there isn't as much non-card material out there. It isn't Kozmomagic's fault! I still hate card tricks though.
By the way you said there's a bill trick next episode. I can't wait. That and STEP project will be cool. While I don't usually like card magic STEP project is fun to watch anyways, even if I don't perform the effect.
This may have changed but.....I just bought the 2007 issue because I wanted one effect. I have it now but the DVD did not inspire me to subscribe. Too many ad's (Commercials).

Danny
Since issue 9 we changed the ad format and to be honest we no longer sell ads in the magazine. We decided we didn't like the look of the magazine with all the ads. There are still ads but they are short and are used as buffers between one segment to the other. But even in the older issues there was a lot of great content.

Sorry you didn't like it.

koz
Don't stop the commercials! I buy a lot of magic based on commercials! I don't understand people's problems with advertisements soliciting the tools of our trade. Sounds like a personal issue. I'm somehow reminded of an Aesop's fable entitled Sour Grapes.
[quote]
On 2012-01-18 11:02, rmendez wrote:
Don't stop the commercials! I buy a lot of magic based on commercials! I don't understand people's problems with advertisements soliciting the tools of our trade. Sounds like a personal issue. I'm somehow reminded of an Aesop's fable entitled Sour Grapes.
[/quote]

Not sour grapes....don't mind ad's per se - but I bought it for the other content. If 50% of the magazine is ad's I think it is too much - or have them all at the end. Anyway I understand it has changed now so I am behind the curve.
Mendez, the first 9 issues were very heavy on ads and it gave the magazine a disorganized look. It was almost
Ike it wasmvideo clip after clip and not really knowing what they were. That's why we put those little intros on everything,

Listen I get complaints about everything. Every columnist gets complaints, every topic." too many ads, not enough. Too many card tricks, too many coin tricks. Why is there a kids column and when we don't have David kaye it's wherenis David Kaye. Goes on and on so we try to get a nice flow of things sothats there's something that everyone gets from the magazine. And that the cost of ten bucks makes it worth the investment and time
The ads gave it a reel (pun intended) "television for magicians" kind of feel though :lol: I hear you and completely understand. I would hate to be in your shoes personally. You will never be able to please 100% of the people 100% of the time. Looking forward to receiving the latest issue as always. Keep up the great work on this wonderful publication.

One of your greatest fans,
Richard
Message: Posted by: FrenchFryNecromancer (Jan 21, 2012 07:12PM)
[quote]
On 2012-01-06 18:20, rmendez wrote:

[/quote]

Why can you not stand card magic anymore? I'm honestly curious to know why.

I enjoy cards and consider them to be one of the richest areas in magic. There are so many sources from which to learn card magic, and so many different sleights that can be performed (even if many of them achieve the same effect). I hear talk about how magicians should invent their own tricks and not simply copy effects from other magicians. That this original creation of a magical effect is considered "High Art" whereas the alternative is merely copying someone else. Wouldn't it be the "move monkeys" that would stand the best chance of creating an original effect with their hundreds of different ways to get a card to the top of the deck or force a card (for example)? With so many tools at your disposal it seems you would have a better chance at crafting something unique.
[quote]
On 2012-01-21 20:12, FrenchFryNecromancer wrote:
Why can you not stand card magic anymore? I'm honestly curious to know why.

I enjoy cards and consider them to be one of the richest areas in magic. There are so many sources from which to learn card magic, and so many different sleights that can be performed (even if many of them achieve the same effect). I hear talk about how magicians should invent their own tricks and not simply copy effects from other magicians. That this original creation of a magical effect is considered "High Art" whereas the alternative is merely copying someone else. Wouldn't it be the "move monkeys" that would stand the best chance of creating an original effect with their hundreds of different ways to get a card to the top of the deck or force a card (for example)? With so many tools at your disposal it seems you would have a better chance at crafting something unique.
[/quote]

I should have been a bit more specific. I can watch Bill Malone and Richard Turner perform all day because they have personality, incredible skill and are both extremely entertaining. Very few people in the world can entertain and keep people interested for an hour with merely a deck of cards.

What I really meant to say was I cannot stand to watch poor card magic anymore. Everywhere I turn I see someone slaughtering the same cliche card effects over and over and over and over and over. I would feel the same way about watching people slaughter the cups and balls over and over and over and over and over.

Magic can be done with so many different objects including but not limited to balls, coins, cups, dice, knives, silks and thimbles. Each is a world unto itself in it's own rite. Why not try putting the card deck down and expanding your repertoire to include other forms of apparatus to show some diversity and some creativity in your skill?

The problem with some is they fail to realize that they should be listening to and performing for their audiences before themselves. The point I was trying to make is too much of anything is a bad thing. Don't take my word for it though. Read what a journalist blogged about her first visit to the Magic Castle http://www.artsjournal.com/lies/2011/08/enough-with-the-card-tricks/
One of our all-time favorite issues is Issue 19 - Road to Bejing! We also love Issue 20 - The Magic Castle which we will be visiting for the very first time this Friday and Saturday night! I'd love to see Daryl and Gregory Wilson on future issues! We absolutely love the interviews Kozmo!
We went to Chris Randall's lecture last night and were pleasantly surprised. One of the most talented and entertaining magicians I've seen. We would love to see him featured as well someday since he literally grew up in Las Vegas casinos while his mother worked as a member of the staff. He was mentored from a very young age by many great magicians. A life in magic is all that he has ever known.
Message: Posted by: FrenchFryNecromancer (Jan 28, 2012 11:09PM)
RMendez: That makes sense and you have some good points. Thanks for elaborating.

Kozmo: Tonight I just bought Season 1 set (DVDs 1-4) and a new current subscription. Since you were asking for feedback.... is there anyway I can purchase about 18 of your Reel magic DVDs all at once? I started doing this but then I stopped.... when I realized that I apparently have to individually purchase each DVD as a separate Paypal transaction? I think I might rather shoot myself in the face than do this 18 times in a row. :) How about a shopping cart where I can select all the issues I want and then check out in one fell swoop?
Yea....here's my phone

607 725 5377

Call me
[quote]
On 2012-01-17 18:44, djurmann wrote:
This may have changed but.....I just bought the 2007 issue because I wanted one effect. I have it now but the DVD did not inspire me to subscribe. Too many ad's (Commercials).

Danny
[/quote]

Following this post Kozmo kindly sent me the latest issue. All I can say is that Reel Magic has come a long way from the early version and no longer has too many ads. Good content all round. Nice job and thank you very much!

Danny
I recently decided to subscribe instead of buying issues every now and then from my dealer.

I love David Regal's reviews. He is really entertaining and I love the way he pokes fun of the awful products that come across his desk.

For some reason, I find Wayne Kawamoto's DVD reviews less entertaining. I believe most of the titles he reviews are fairly obscure and often are subpar.

Maybe the reviews should focus more on finding the gems that are being released and not just a random review of some Good, some OK and some poor material.

Apart from David making me laugh about some of the awful effects, I do not like to spend 2-3 minutes looking at a product that is sub-par. Do not spend time on stuff that is crap (maybe 20 seconds max).

Imagine how amazing it would be if every month David or Wayne said: look at this gem that recently came out. Here is why it is so great....

Also, maybe you could add one joke per issue. Mark Masson's joke about the midget on the plane was priceless!

I am currently up to issue 18. I hope my comments are still relevant. Once I catch up to the latest issue, I may have more suggestions.

Keep up the good work and thank you for Reel Magic Magazine.
Love to hear all comments....
I love Reel Magic. About a year ago my Mother-in-Law asked what I wanted for Christmas. My subscription to Reel Magic had recently expired so I suggested she get me a subscription to Reel Magic. Now she just renews the subscription each year and it is one of my favorite gifts. She always has a funny story about calling Kozmo each year to re-new the subscription. This year she said when she called Kozmo asked if he could put her on hold in order to finish brushing his teeth. Glad to hear you are taking care of your pearly whites :)

Thanks Kozmo for putting out such a great product. I would love to see a column on Busking or Street Magic. Also would love to see some of the following featured: Denny Haney (of Denny's Magic), Duane Laflin, Barry Mitchell (would make be great in a monthly column about creativity), Gazzo just to name a few.

Keep up the great work.
That is a great idea about the busking column. Kozmo you might not know this but there is quite an interest in doing magic on the streets, it takes a very special magician to do it well, but it is quite a popular sub- topic among magicians. Don't feel you have to do this yourself, it takes someone who has lived it to speak with authority, but you could get an experienced busker like Danny Hustle to help you there ( not sure if you know him, but google him and he is quite approachable). Other potential columnist might be found on the magic Café at "the sidewalk shuffle".

I seriously think you'd enjoy the column yourself, you'll soon find its a generous tight knit community.

Tony.
Tony, ive worked on the streets a little bit
[quote]
On 2013-01-02 22:55, Kozmo wrote:
Tony, ive worked on the streets a little bit
[/quote]
:lol:
I heard there was a great DVD set called "Tales from the Street" by some guy called Kozmo.
But I could be mistaken.
Kozmo,
I know, I know, saw you lecture at the conclave a few years back, have your DVD and pretty much this you walk on water when it comes to street work, I had time on my hands, hence the tongue in cheek post. I some how feel you Might, and I maybe just MAYBE be able to speak with a smidge of authority on the issue :))

But a take it to the streets column would be great ( after you get streaming in the product of course). Maybe you could do a guest column on street work.

Tony.
I'm sure the street thing will happen

lets talk about streaming versus download....

any input?
Kozmo,
Stepping away from delivery for a second, for me it is tablet accessibility. I have android and iPads at home, and so just getting seamless access is what I want. I personally prefere streaming because them you host it, but I do see the benefit of having access when network performance is not good or not there.

If we consider piracy I would say ignore it. I can get apps that will take a stream (YouTube) and save them to my disk. So piracy will happen, how about changing the focus to responsibility. I have a bunch of magic downloads I could torrent, and lets assume I don't care about the ethical issues. You will still not see me streaming them because Vanishing Inc have generated them with my name as a water mark. So if I start sharing it becomes pretty obvious where it came from. I also have some magic PdFs that do the same thing. So why not consider watermarking, and then if the cost to you is pretty much a wash you could offer both.

Although if you go the watermarking route I would guess it would be easier to have that downloaded.

Have you spoken to Vanishing Inc, they may well have done some deeper investigations on this.

Tony
I posted this over at Latest and Greatest, but it is so on topic here, I will repost:

Ok so Kozmo, REELY listens to his customer base. He was kind enough to reach out to me, and show me the streaming solution he and his team are working on. This is simply excellent. If you get the DVDs it is an identical quality in my opinion, and you get the same magazine flexibility that you enjoy with the DVD.

Let me start from the beginning. You login, mine was obviously logging in on a beta system, so it was slightly different, then you select your issue, I looked at issue 30. A player is presented, you can press the play, and the whole magazine will play. But that is not how I have used these DVDs. First stop David Regal, that man costs me a lot of money..., then looking a the move monkey sections without explanations to see which appeal, then scan the index and start working throughout the magazine.

Quality in terms of visuals on the iPad, fantastic. I then used Airplay to throw it to my Boxee and watch it in the 36" TV, again I thought the quality was excellent, now I am in my 50s and need bifocals so I am not a retina display aficionado but it very acceptable. Responsiveness of streaming through Fios to my iPad 2, to my boxee and to the TV, never skipped a beat. When we spoke Kosmo mentioned they are balancing bit rates with responsiveness, and if you throw this on a 60"TV it is not as good, I'll take his word for it, but I found it as good as anything I get from Netflix.

Would I pay upto $10 for this, absolutely, but I think Kosmo based on other comments in this and other threads is looking to offer a far richer experience, with access to back issues and the like, I am very excited about this, and honored that Kosmo offered me a peek.BTW Kosmo asked me to give a brutally honest review, I can do honest, but not brutal because it is just that good. I am excited to see a great product move with the times, I expect that this will increase his user base, I hope so, he and his team have put a lot of effort in and it is a great product.

Thank you Kosmo, I hope you have a release date in the very near future, because I see a deluge of PM's and emails coming your was.

Tony
Could someone please explain how to watch this on an ipad.

Barry
Barry, there's a file on the disc that you can sync to your smart device.....go to the extras menu on the disc and there's a video tutorial on how it's done. If that doesn't work shoot me an email

Kozmomagic@me.com
I recently sold off my DVD collection and am now a huge fan of the on-demand streaming option!
I stream - it's great - best $5 I spend every month!
I just found Reel Magic but I'm having a hard time committing to it. The free issue has been 95% card magic. Sadly I have never been interested in card effects. In my mind, cards are a lot like the linking rings. Unless you are a spectacular showman with a great routine, it's just the same trick with a different package. Is Issue 28 typical for the magazine?
Want to check it out just email me and I will give you a guided tour
Kozmomagic@me.com
Kozmo,
Hi. I really love the magazine. Definitely my favorite! I like that everything is explained. I also love the variety, bar magic, etc. I'm going to really miss Simey!

Things I would like to see more of:

More routine inspirations, not so much move monkey.
More variety of magic with things other than cards and coins.

Keep up the good work!

KJ
Well were trying. We love material that's not cards for sure and have put a focus on that. We're also taking a break from the Move MOnkey segment and replacing it with Tyler Ericksons "Quick Tips" which I think anyone who really cares about being good will love, because this material is really good....

Thanks for the input, we love that.
Thanks, Kozmo. The magazine is just tremendous! any changes, I think are just tweaking something that is already awesome. I think that when you have columns that are based on a person, their style is important. For example, Simey and Doc Eason are two people that just have an entertaining "way". They are "personalities". It is helpful to watch entertaining personalities to learn from their way, in addition to the magic. I also like the variety. For example, Garret Thomas has a much more reserved personality. It is great to see someone that I suspect may be perhaps a shy introvert in real life, adapt his skills to his person. The mix of personalities is excellent. I'm really glad that you don't just have "over the top" personalities, but a good mix.

KJ
Perhaps you could have a column on "developing a character". When I see old footage of many magicians, it is clear they didn't start out with the character they grew into. Perhaps the column could be incorporated into what Wayne Kawamoto does. He is such a tremendous "host" in talking to other performers. I would love to see old footage compared to new footage and have the magician talk about what they did to get from A to B. Maybe the segment could be called "From there to here"

KJ
Nice
[quote]On Aug 26, 2014, 1KJ wrote:
Perhaps you could have a column on "developing a character". When I see old footage of many magicians, it is clear they didn't start out with the character they grew into. Perhaps the column could be incorporated into what Wayne Kawamoto does. He is such a tremendous "host" in talking to other performers. I would love to see old footage compared to new footage and have the magician talk about what they did to get from A to B. Maybe the segment could be called "From there to here"

KJ [/quote]

I have thought how to create a character or enhance your own personality would be a great column. Pop Haydn would be great for this!

Koz I have been involved in magic for over 45 years and probably gotten more from this magazine than any I've subscribed to... even if the choice of effects haven't always necessarily applied to me. I've even worked on a few things outside my comfort zone and discovered some new interests.

The theory, showmanship, interviews, history, etc. apply to all branches of this art and some of the interviews have lead to me purchasing items from you and other dealers.

Love all that you have done and eagerly look forward to each issue!

Gary
Thanks brother :)
Awesome magazine and Kozmo is a fantastic lecturer. Thanks for the work you do with Reel Magic ( I'll be a member as long as you put it out! ) and thanks very much for the Lecture you did in Tucson
the other nite, everyone had a blast. Always enjoy seeing and visiting with you, take care.

Norm M
Hey Everyone.
Issue 47 is now available ON Demand! Steve Spill takes us on a tour of Magicopolis and also teaches the best top change I have ever seen.

Rubberband Blackbelt Joe Rindfleisch contributed 2 killer Rubberband pieces and Christian Painter returns with Mindtripping. It's another GREAT issue.

One thing you will find missing is the David Regal Column. We're working on it and will be on line soon.

Now if you're not a Reel Magic Subscriber go to the link below and hit SUBSCRIBE.

www.reelmagicmagazine.com
I was so happy when I saw Mindtripping back. Great issue as always, Kosmo. Thanks.
Hey Koz,
I DO enjoy 'the Reel'.
A great mix,..
full of surprise.
,and 'expertise'.
,...Kainoa is a killer(!).

One thought,
you might want to sit down with Dick Oslund.
He is probably the last living guy,
who shared a 'trick',
in "Bobo's Modern Coin Magic".
It might be cool,
someone reading the effect,
and having Dick perform it 'live'(!).

,....he'd probably 'worth' ten minutes of stories, as well! 🙂

Anyways,
I enjoy it.
Gallagher
Might be interesting... we are working on a thing about bobo...so it might fit in:)
I have watched Curtis Kam ring on stick 10 times. OMG