(Close Window)
Topic: Crazy Color Changing effect by Will Tsai... permitted to share on Café till end of Jan.
We were at a friends place about half a year ago and I had the chance to witness this in person. It was like watching camera trick LIVE!! Very amazing! I got very excited and Will Tsai was very kind to let me shoot just his 'effect' with my cell phone. It's password locked here...

http://www.willietsai.com/test

user: newcreation
pass: handmade

What's not included in this shoot is the spread was separated to show every single card before and after the change on both sides! I later saw him performed this effect the next day to some laymen, the routine was incredibly strong with his hypnosis presentation. The fact that it was "ended clean" totally blew my mind.

Just sharing and hope this will delight up your day too.
Happy day~

G.
WOW!!!!! Is he going to sell this?
[quote]
On 2009-01-06 05:41, georgecoolla wrote:
We were at a friends place about half a year ago and I had the chance to witness this in person. It was like watching camera trick LIVE!! Very amazing! I got very excited and Will Tsai was very kind to let me shoot just his 'effect' with my cell phone. It's password locked here...

http://www.willietsai.com/test

user: newcreation
pass: handmade

What's not included in this shoot is the spread was separated to show every single card before and after the change on both sides! I later saw him performed this effect the next day to some laymen, the routine was incredibly strong with his hypnosis presentation. The fact that it was "ended clean" totally blew my mind.

Just sharing and hope this will delight up your day too.
Happy day~

G.
[/quote]

If all of this is true..

Looks and sounds too good to be true!
Not my kinda thing, but...wow! Amazing!

Nathan
I can't get it to work.

Robert
What the H*** did I just witness?

JJ
Beautiful!... ends clean?
Really nice effect! thanks for sharing
That's awesome! two thumbs up!
Finally got to watch it. I don't think it ends clean!

Robert
I'm with Jordan.....not really sure what the h**l I just saw! :-o
I certainly hope that it's not trick photography.

Respectfully,
JRRocha
You end clean? What, after a deck switch? :)
This is Will Tsai. Glad you guys enjoy my effect. My buddy George gave me a call about this thread, just thought I should pop by and say hi to everyone. :)

To answer some of the questions and clarify things up, I've received a lot of requests this morning and ask if I'll be releasing it. Well.. it depends on how much people like it and respond to the thread here. It's a very complicated procedure to produce just ONE, and I can't imagine how much difficulty I'll have to go through to manufacture them. But if people really enjoy it and like it, I'll do it for the Café members.

Not to tip anything away, yes, the effect ends clean. Everything is build into the routine.... thanks to my buddy Paul Harris. He is a genius. Let's nail him on cross and burn!!

Aside from all the bad jokes, thanks for all the nice comments. I am not a regular Café member, but this seem to be a fun place. Will surely check back often to have fun and make friends.

Best wishes to everyone in 2009.

New friend,

Will Tsai
Will,

It's amazing...not really my thing, but...I think...I might buy one...just to have a total mind****!

Nathan
That was crazy!
RELEASE IT!!!

JJ
That's awesome.
I watched it many times and everytime my eyes popped out.
I said: ok, I didn't notice it but he never shows the blue backs... wrong, he does.
Then I said: ok, I didn't notice it but he never shows the faces of the cards, it's just a one way... wrong, he shows them at the beginning and even after the blue-red change.
Awesome really. I don't even know if I want to know how does it work, I prefere to think that it's real magic.

Just a little thing I noticed: when you show the fan at the beginning of the routine, the choosen card is clearly seen at the bottom. But I actually noticed it only after the 4th time I watched the trailer :)

Dave

PS: who is the guy making strange laugh sounds at the beginning?
[quote]
On 2009-01-06 18:52, WillieT. wrote:
Not to tip anything away, yes, the effect ends clean. Everything is build into the routine....
[/quote]

I'd be curious to hear what your definition of "ending clean" is . . .
I would definately throw down some coin on this!!!
It does looks great....

Very visual change

Great job

Cheers
Andre
Fantastic!!
Fantastic!!
Very nice Will!

If this was a 'gaffed deck' that did everything for you then you have yourself an amazing deck. If you need to use sleight of hand, then it is still a great illusion. Can't...quite...get...my...head...round...it!

Thanks for sharing it,

Ben
Willie: Please release this!!! This is right up my alley!

If you wish not to make a ton of these yourself, you can always release a DVD version explaining the process involved so those who purchase this can make there own. Many effects are released in this manner.

You don't have to release it main stream either, just to me! :)

I like the idea of releasing this only to Café members who are interested, that's a great way to make sure the effect does not go too mainstream, and we will have it all for ourselves :)

We got the $$$ for ya Willie, balls in your court! :)
My eyes popped out! Someone find them on the floor? Seriously, I'd buy this in a heartbeat.
Will,
Here's another vote for you to release this effect! :)

Respectfully,
JRRocha
I'm a bit skeptical...one thing I noticed was when his hand passed over the deck, the lighting changed slightly which makes me think one thing...."EDIT!" Go back and watch it again...watch as his hand passes over the blue deck. For a split second, the lighting seems to change...go real dim for a 10th of a second. This to me would indicate a cross fade of some sort that couldn't be synced up perfectly (which is *** near impossilbe to do).

I hope I'm wrong about that b/c if it's legit, then it's one heck of an awesome change.

Just my 2 cents...
More inexpensive cameras (such as ones on cameraphones) tend to have tone shifts due to a ho-hum auto white balance system.
Hope it's for real
There has to be something.. Nothing is perfect. Like I said, this just seems too good to be true.
[quote]
On 2009-01-07 11:34, AlluTallu wrote:
There has to be something.. Nothing is perfect. Like I said, this just seems too good to be true.
[/quote]

..and there is. The way he spread the deck looks like a ro**gh and sm***th application.
Aside from it being mind blowingly incredible, the only thing I didn't like was changing the whole deck to the selected card. I love the idea of the second change, mind you, I have no idea what else you would change it into besides the selected card, lol.

Beautiful change.
[quote]
On 2009-01-07 11:55, DVLKCC wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

..and there is. The way he spread the deck looks like a ro**gh and sm***th application.
[/quote]

I agree, I see no way around this not being R&S, unless he knows an Alien I don't.

Still love this effect, Release it!
[quote]
On 2009-01-07 12:02, gdw wrote:
Aside from it being mind blowingly incredible, the only thing I didn't like was changing the whole deck to the selected card. I love the idea of the second change, mind you, I have no idea what else you would change it into besides the selected card, lol.

Beautiful change.
[/quote]

You are (Step back to the 60's) "AWESOME" for reading my mind! Honestly, I would go for just the color changing deck, screw all the same cards, but, never know.

Then again I thought the same about the "Brainwave" deck compared with the "Invisible" deck, and to my surprise, after years of performing with both I'd give the nod to Brainwave.

Some Magi's out there do not realize how gullible most are until witnessed for themselves. It also helps to do some powerful effects before doing Brainwave, def kicks the brain in.

Either way, I am happy, release it and my cash is yours Willie :)
[quote]
[quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I think it seems obvious that he's using r/s but there also has to be something more if you can end even seemingly clean (Whitout a deck switch ofcourse)

I'd love to see the routine including the whole ending.
^ After watching again it is obvious he is using R/S just by how thick the cards are and his handling of-course. I get all but how he switches the color, brilliant!

As I already stated, I have been using Brainwave deck for years and no one has ever asked to see the deck. This also helps by doing some impromptu effects first where you offer them to check the deck, but it's all psychology in the end.

If there is no editing involved here, I will be more then happy, as this is so strong I just might have to do one of my 30 different self levitation's before it.
Must have in my book! RELEASE!!!
[quote]
On 2009-01-07 12:16, AlluTallu wrote:
[quote]
[quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I think it seems obvious that he's using r/s but there also has to be something more if you can end even seemingly clean (Whitout a deck switch ofcourse)

I'd love to see the routine including the whole ending.
[/quote]

You should of been more clear then. I assumed you did not know about r/s. My mistake.
WOW, after viewing this 20 more times I seen something to where there is no way in he11 this is edited in any way.

Not trying to bust the creator out, so just pay attention to the cards, you will find it, front and back. :)

R/S 100% , edited, NOPE!

FREE WILLIE!!!
I don't want to try to guess at methods out of respect for the guy that put time into making this.

I am however very curious about exactly what "end clean" means to him. To me it means being able to hand that same deck to the spectator after the effect is completed. (If they ask).

If you can do that, I'll buy this thing right now if he decides to sell it.

Tim
As for the R/S debate, all fishing aside, R/S would only allow him to spread showing all the 8s, NOT show all different like he does before without exposing alternating 8s and random cards.

Think about an invis deck, you spread showing all faces, but you cannot spread showing only backs.
[quote]
On 2009-01-07 14:57, Tim Jahn wrote:
I don't want to try to guess at methods out of respect for the guy that put time into making this.

I am however very curious about exactly what "end clean" means to him. To me it means being able to hand that same deck to the spectator after the effect is completed. (If they ask).

Tim
[/quote]

Good!! GDW pinpointed the method. Much LOVE!!!
Holy what the nice effect. As to my understanding of R/S after doing invisible deck for over 15 years, it can't be R/S with the way he handles the deck?! I second GDW, there's no way you can apply R/S and change both front and back separately from ONE DECK. Unless he visually switch from one blue R/S deck to another red R/S right under our eyes...

I am getting my credit card number ready for this guy again.
Maybe I should kill him before he kills my bank account. LOL. Nice work!
This is definitely not a standard application of R/S, but I personally am still quite sure this effect uses R/S and I even came up with a theory how it could work.

And if this really ends clean or even "almost" clean, I'm going to buy it as soon as it's released.

To be honest, I'm probably going to buy it anyways :D

And DVLKCC,

I admit I could have been more clear :)
[quote]
On 2009-01-07 15:24, AaronishMagic wrote:
Holy what the nice effect. As to my understanding of R/S after doing invisible deck for over 15 years, it can't be R/S with the way he handles the deck?! I second GDW, there's no way you can apply R/S and change both front and back separately from ONE DECK. Unless he visually switch from one blue R/S deck to another red R/S right under our eyes...

I am getting my credit card number ready for this guy again.
Maybe I should kill him before he kills my bank account. LOL. Nice work!
[/quote]

It 100% is R/S, stop bullCrap-in yourself. It shows in his handling of the deck, quite obvious.

The deck-color-change wave is freaky, that is what has me wanting this. The cards are thick-as-he11 when spreading, which concludes the obvious! His method is genius, as I seen what he did, I am surprised no one seen it yet (PM if you do, no exploiting Please)?!

Great effect, RELEASE!!
[quote]
On 2009-01-07 16:05, Piz wrote:

.... (PM if you do, no exploiting Please)?!

[/quote]

No exploiting?!?! Isn't that what everyone is doing on this thread going on and on about R/S? Is that what this forum is really supposed to be for? To try and figure out what method is being used for a possible new release?

I would much rather keep any possible method I see to myself and just hope he decides to release it to us. I find it extremely disrespectful to go on and on about the possible method.
Who cares about the method? It's visually appealing, provided there's no editing on the video.

Steve
^My feelings/Thoughts exactly
[quote]
On 2009-01-07 16:20, rockwall wrote:
[quote]

[/quote]

No exploiting?!?! Isn't that what everyone is doing on this thread going on and on about R/S? Is that what this forum is really supposed to be for? To try and figure out what method is being used for a possible new release?

I would much rather keep any possible method I see to myself and just hope he decides to release it to us. I find it extremely disrespectful to go on and on about the possible method.
[/quote]

No, on Latest and Greatest it is acceptable to talk about "possible" methods. Once it is released it is then not. It is okay because no one is exposing the method, just having fun and guessing what it could be. Relax.

On a side note, some of you will buy just about anything. You know nothing about the trick and how gaffed it is but yet you already slapped your wallet down next to your keyboard. lol..

I have some stuff to sell you, send me a private message! (it is priced to be exclusive!) :P

Doug
... and this is why we get a lot of junk releases but the real worker material are kept so hush hush.
I think if you want to discuss methods, go to Secret Sessions.

Steve
Beautiful effect.

Let's assume that you did want to release it... how much would it be, Willie?
I know how it's done.
Magic;)

I'm interested in this as I love that color change.
So how much and what does ending clean really mean with this?

magicmike30
[quote]

Tim
[/quote]

I have a love/hate relationship with your posts! I love how you bust-out what you feel is obvious and wrong with an effect, but I also feel you are irratioal at times.

It is common-sence that this effect does not end as clean as you want it to, as I see it, it ends as clean as any "Invisible Deck or Brainwwave". This is enough for me to purchase it.

I feel it ist time for the creator to come-on these boards and confess what is reality. We love you effectt, balls in your court!

Pauly
[quote]
On 2009-01-07 19:12, magicmike30 wrote:
I know how it's done.
Magic;)

I'm interested in this as I love that color change.
So how much and what does ending clean really mean with this?

magicmike30

Same here, just looking for a Tag!
[/quote]
Message: Posted by: Christopher Williams (Jan 7, 2009 06:16PM)
Agreed with above posters, it is a stunning looking effect, and this isn't the place to discuss methods. The only thing I will disagree with, is that people say you can't 'accomplish' what was shown with a modified R/S deck. That is not me saying it does or does not use R/S principle, but just saying that you can have an application to allow you to do what Will does, as I have seen a deck that does this and handled it
From Harry Anderson's "Jumbo Marked" instructions: "(come to think of it, when does one ever fan the cards from the TOP end?)"
[quote]
On 2009-01-07 16:20, rockwall wrote:
[quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

NO, you need to re-think what you are asking. What I said was no exploiting, meaning if you seen what I did there is no need to mention it, as you failed to do so by mentioning a quote of mind you failed to mention, so there! :)
This looks really good! I think I have it figured out, like I think I know the change and that is is r/s. The only thing that fools me is how easy he can go from one side to the other with just spreading?!!
[quote]

[/quote]

I find it extremely disrespectful as well. Good luck with your magic if all you do is gossip about how tricks might be done! Karma is a *****.
[quote]
On 2009-01-07 16:28, Stevethomas wrote:
Who cares about the method? It's visually appealing, provided there's no editing on the video.

Steve
[/quote]

I think There is editing done, the backs change looks like a camera edit, this cannot be done any other way I think..that why I suspect it won't be released.
Nice idea though!

RWhit
[quote]
On 2009-01-07 19:14, Piz wrote:
[quote]

Tim
[/quote]

I have a love/hate relationship with your posts! I love how you bust-out what you feel is obvious and wrong with an effect, but I also feel you are irratioal at times.

It is common-sence that this effect does not end as clean as you want it to, as I see it, it ends as clean as any "Invisible Deck or Brainwwave". This is enough for me to purchase it.

I feel it ist time for the creator to come-on these boards and confess what is reality. We love you , balls in your court!

Pauly
[/quote]

What the hell does "irratioal" mean? And whats an "effectt" for that matter?
I know how you can do this without the r/s principle but it definitely wouldn’t end clean without a deck s****h.

Holly
[quote]
On 2009-01-07 20:07, fooksau wrote:
[quote]

I find it extremely disrespectful as well. Good luck with your magic if all you do is gossip about how tricks might be done! Karma is a *****.
[/quote]

Yeah, that's all we seem to do. Forget about actually practicing magic and performing for people. No way. We make sure to go on the magic Café and find a thread where we can voice our strong position on something and tell everyone how they will get bad karma. After we're done with that, we 'gossip' about possible methods for some dudes unmarketed effect all day long and then when we get bored of that we go and watch soap operas.

Almost forgot, every 20 minutes or so we try and post witty responses on the Magic Café.

Of course what I wrote up there is a joke. But, there's no need to wish someone bad karma for discussing a trick that isn't even marketed. When that guy posted the video he should expect all kinds of discussion, criticism and *gasp* even ideas on how magicians??? (is that what we are all? any laymen??) think it is done. Most of us go by a code of honor and won't rip off a brother.
[quote]
On 2009-01-07 15:24, AaronishMagic wrote:
As to my understanding of R/S after doing invisible deck for over 15 years, it can't be R/S with the way he handles the deck?! I second GDW, there's no way you can apply R/S and change both front and back separately from ONE DECK. Unless he visually switch from one blue R/S deck to another red R/S right under our eyes...
[/quote]

You don't think it's R/S? Wow...you guys should start reading more of the older books.

If Willie Tsai is using the method I think he's using for the spread color change, then this idea is not new. It looks like a very old (but still very good) R/S method that's explained in a couple of good booklets about R/S by Aldini. I'm not surprised you couldn't figure it out, because it isn't a conventional R/S arrangement. It's actually quite baffling if you're not familiar with the secret. That's why I always chuckle whenever a new trick advertisement proudly boasts of "no R & S!" as if it were a mortal sin. When used properly, R & S can be both deceptive and practical for professional workers.

Getting back to Tsai's trick, Aldini explains the basic principle on pages 22 and 23 of the little booklet he and Joe Berg published way back in 1956. However, if you have Aldini's later book from 1968, take a look at "Aldini's Nature Deck" and "Harlequin Deck" for the color change application being used here.

As for the top card color change, one of Marty's DIY videos should get you halfway there. In fact I believe there were several marketed tricks that allowed you to do the same thing with the top card of the deck.
Byxnz, with all the respect that you took the effort to go through your library and try to search for possible methods from the past hundred year to simulate the stunning effect that one of our brother kindly share with us. I'd say that was nice work you have done!
[quote]
On 2009-01-08 08:24, AaronishMagic wrote:
Byxnz, with all the respect that you took the effort to go through your library and try to search for possible methods from the past hundred year to simulate the stunning effect that one of our brother kindly share with us. I'd say that was nice work you have done!
[/quote]

I would also agree with you. Nice work Byxnz! I find it disrespectful when magicians don't do their research and claim something as theirs.

AaronishMagic, you must be friends with Will.
DVLKCC I'd love to be a friend with this creative mind. I own a few of his products from Hocus-Pocus, and am very satisfied with every single one. That's rare in magic!
Nice kicker at the end! I'd also definately be interested in purchasing this one.
[quote]
On 2009-01-07 21:53, DVLKCC wrote:

Of course what I wrote up there is a joke. But, there's no need to wish someone bad karma for discussing a trick that isn't even marketed.
[/quote]

Karma isn't wished upon someone, it happens all by itself. And just because a trick isn't marketed doesn't give anyone the right to discuss how it's done. Yes, Even so called magicians.
Fooksau, I agree. In the Tagged by Richard Sanders thread, I went as far as Steve Brooks about exposure and guessing methods in the Latest and Greatest Forum. He then changed the rules to allow speculation, which, in my opinion, was a bad move.
[quote]
On 2009-01-08 23:14, magicman4646 wrote:
He then changed the rules to allow speculation, which, in my opinion, was a bad move.
[/quote]
First off, you're a move monkey! :)

(reel magic for those of you that wonder why I call him a monkey)

We are magicians. Magicians do magic and sometimes share secrets with each other. I think some of you have the wrong idea about exposure.

In my opinion, you are exposing magic when you are revealing magic secrets to someone that does not want to learn magic.

Talking with another magician about methods does not classify as exposure. Revealing the workings of a marketed effect out in the open shows lack of judgment. Also, copying magic dvds/books/pdfs and giving them away/selling them is NOT cool.
It's funny how people get fooled by technology, even magicians these days. As a CGI artist, I can clearly tell that this is a digital 'editing' piece of magic. Look at the color before and right after the change. BG brightness and balance changed!! I am pretty sure this TSAI guy is just a nerd who's good with computers and trying to make a fool of himself. When the color changed, the reflective point also changed, he simply photoshopped it!! That's what happens when you change the saturation from one color to a brighter color.

Nice idea though, but don't get fool! Don't want to waste my time on this "magician fooler". Save yours too! It's Criss Angel style magic and not real world magic.
[quote]
On 2009-01-09 06:59, HusssKarson wrote:
It's funny how people get fooled by technology, even magicians these days. As a CGI artist, I can clearly tell that this is a digital 'editing' piece of magic. Look at the color before and right after the change. BG brightness and balance changed!! I am pretty sure this TSAI guy is just a nerd who's good with computers and trying to make a fool of himself. When the color changed, the reflective point also changed, he simply photoshopped it!! That's what happens when you change the saturation from one color to a brighter color.

Nice idea though, but don't get fool! Don't want to waste my time on this "magician fooler". Save yours too! It's Criss Angel style magic and not real world magic.
[/quote]

That's a big claim buddy.

It was taken off a camera phone by the looks of it... and they're well known for having an auto-exposure feature..

There may be a genuine method to this, so don't rule it out.
Look, even from the Tsai guy's post, he was hinting that this won't be released with excuses. This tells something! It will never be release because he can't!

Just wait, this will never be released. Or maybe an instruction video of photoshop if he is so desperate?
[quote]
On 2009-01-09 07:49, HusssKarson wrote:
Look, even from the Tsai guy's post, he was hinting that this won't be released with excuses. This tells something! It will never be release because he can't!

Just wait, this will never be released. Or maybe an instruction video of photoshop if he is so desperate?
[/quote]

I saw nothing that required any video editing.
Don't be so sure. . .he wasnt giving an unreasonable excuse. He said that the deck takes a long time to manufacture. I know a few effects on the market like this, such as Angelo Carbone's Notion of Motion which takes a long time to construct because it is done by hand. A lot of cameras, as said, have an auto balance function, especially camera phones which I believe he or the guy who posted this stated.

Nico
I simply don't understand why the creator does not come on here and defend these claims of photoshop? I PM'd him, I seen he read what I sent him, so I know he has been on.

The only thing that makes me feel this is for real is the thickness of the deck, and his handling of it due to the thickness. Never know though, I just wish he would say something already.
Hi Guys,

I wanted to step in before this gets crazy....

I know Willy Tsai, he is a friend and lives in my city, so we hang out and have sushi a a couple times a month...

Believe me, THIS EFFECT IS REAL.

It is not a photoshop camera trick etc...

I give you MY word.

I have told Willy I think he could release this as a DIY dvd... that way it would cost less for you to buy, and you can make/remake the deck anytime you want.

It would be time consuming to make allot of these...but for you to make your own, easy.

just a thought.
If you think that's something your interested in, be nice, Willy may let this baby go!

all the best,
Andrew Gerard
^ Thank You Andrew, I trust your word. As I stated in my last post I felt this was real, never know though with all these accusations being posted what to believe after a while.

I think that is a great Idea to release this as a DIY dvd, I actually recommended this in one of my earlier post. Saves him a ton of time, cost the consumer less, and gives the buyer hands-on experience making his/her own deck, great for whenever they need to make a new one.

Looking forward to this release (Cross fingers, WILLIE YOU THERE?!) You have my backing. :)

P.S. This gotta be great for Wilie watching people accuse his effect of being PhotoShopped. If I were him I'd be laughing right now taking everyone of those accusations as a compliment! :D
Check out the trick review session by David Regal on issue #7, Mac King, in regards to DIY dvds. :rotf:
[quote]

[/quote]

I have been doing CGI and video editing as a serious hobby for quite a long time and I don't see any reason why this should be "edited".

[quote]
It's funny how people get fooled by technology
[/quote]

It's funny how people get fooled by sleight of hand and some clever thinking.
Hey guys I am finally here. Sorry if I didn't get to answer any of your PMs at all. I've received hundreds of PMs about this particular effect, but I only have so much free time for myself aside from my crazy working schedule.

Thanks Gerard for backing up my effect. You the man :)

I took some time to read the previous posts and saw the graphic editing comments and I'll have to say.. Thank You! I take that as a compliment of how good this effect looks to you. And it must have 'blast your mind' (this very cool phrase credits to Russel Peters!).

Although I've received many requests, I haven't decided If I want to release it since I can easily sell the effect for $50 and not make a dime, considering the initial material, labour cost, and dealer mark up. And I certainly don't want to rip my people off by selling it at more money. Gerard brought up a good point, instead of producing them and sell for a fairly expensive price, I could sell the DIY dvd so not only you can learn the concept and make it yourself, there's many cool possibilities of other effects you can play around with at a very reasonable price. Again, it'll depend on if there's enough people who's serious in buying and learning this effect, that I'll let this baby go.

Please PM me with your name (first and last) and email if you are serious about owning this effect. If there's a good number of people who are really interested in owning one, I'll release it for the Café member at the price of a DVD. If there's not enough people who are interested in owning it aside from the curious, it'll just be a pocket miracle in my circle of buddies.

best wishes,
Will Tsai
Already PM you...
It looks great, but does it make sense at all? Wouldn't it make more sense to change all of the cards to blue and then show their card is the only red one? What is the motivation/patter to change all of the cards into their selected card after all of the backs change?
[quote]
On 2009-01-10 21:59, magicman4646 wrote:
It looks great, but does it make sense at all? Wouldn't it make more sense to change all of the cards to blue and then show their card is the only red one? What is the motivation/patter to change all of the cards into their selected card after all of the backs change?
[/quote]

Who cares? The spectator certainly won't.
[quote]
On 2009-01-10 15:44, WillieT. wrote:
I've received hundreds of PMs about this particular effect, but I only have so much free time for myself aside from my crazy working schedule.
[/quote]

Members are limited to 50 messages on the boards. 50 is hardly 'hundreds' of messages. Unless you spent all day deleting new messages.

Is the entire deck gaffed? If it is, this might be something cool to show 'the guys'. But, not practical in the real world.
[quote]
On 2009-01-11 00:13, bryanlonden wrote:
[quote]
On 2009-01-10 21:59, magicman4646 wrote:
[/quote]

Who cares? The spectator certainly won't.
[/quote]

I think they might. Let me guess, your patter might go something like this,

"Look, I have a blue deck of cards, all different. I need you to pick a card. Say the word stop. Ok, got the card? Good. Now your card is lost in the middle. Watch the blue cards, because all I have to do is wave my hand over them and they all turn to red. But wait, all of the cards are now your card!"

Then you put the cards away. That doesn't cut it for me. If I saw that, I wouldn't know what to think. I would be way too confused.
Hi everyone, thought I'd jump in quickly myself to share some thoughts. As for the reasoning of a good routine, it takes only a little bit creativity for a magician to create the logical reason behind everything one does. It's not the tricks that make a magician, it's the magician that makes tricks into miracles after all.

If giving examples would help my friends here to understand what I just mention, I'd tip one of my favorite presentations that I personally use as follows...

"Many would wonder about how magicians do what they do? We create illusions. As the matter of fact, everything that we do only happens in your mind. It's very hard to explain, let me demonstrate what I meant to you. [display the cards and do the selection] Many magicians that I know are good with sleight of hands. They are able to control cards using only their finger. I am not that good, so over the years I've learnt an easier way to do this. First I'd try to influence your sense of color...[color change and go on with the routine, display front and back], just think of your card. If you concentrate hard enough... you'll start to see your cards everywhere..."

Something along the lines would create huge reactions.. and everything ends clean in my routine. This is just a little example of what a presentation do to a 'trick'. It gives internal value and enhance the effect tremendously. Just sharing some of my thoughts with the friends on Caf� It'll be my pleasure if my piece of thought would help anyone in their magical life.

There are also approaches both in handling and presentation shared from friends such as Gerard, Paul, and other buddies. As much as I'd like to share them here, but that'll just be spoiling the fun. For all friends who have contributed to this effect, thank you for sharing your wisdom. You guys are the best!

Will Tsai
Love it, Willie.

That totally rocks!

Tony Chris
Definity goona PM you about this!!

I try and stay away from any effect where you have to buy a "special deck" or prop where, IF it gets lost, stollen, rained on or whatever...your out and have to buy a new one.

MUCH better if we bought it so we could make up out own, of course, and like was mentioned...less troube for you having to make each one, not as expensive for us...and not a toal loss if it got damaged, lost or ??
Hi Will,

Sent you a PM. I really like your patter and like to use something similar in some effects I do. I like the idea of using patter that says that what the spectator is seeing isn't really there but we influence what they 'think' they see. This spin can be used in so many different effects and I've had spectators think that I'm really doing something like that.

Mike
Feel free to incorporate it to your current work my friend. :)

All the best,
Will Tsai
Hi Will, your PM box is full. Please clear out some space or provide another way to get in touch with you. I would appreciate if you count me in. I have really really and really interested in your effect! This effect is beautiful and looks like there's no 'business' involve at all. Please keep me updated! I'd also suggest maybe you can release a limited edition besides DIY dvd, which includes a physical deck along with the DVD. I'd bet there's many of the Café members like me who will be more than happy to invest in a hand-produced collector's edition regardless how much you ask for it. Let us know what you think.

Aaron
Hey everyone, got some of your email through company email. Sorry about the PM box. I try to clear out some space whenever I could, but it just gets full so quickly. I believe that it works now. PM me if anything. I am extremely busy on different projects at the moment, but will try to check the PM box once I catch some free time.

Best wishes to everyone,

Will Tsai
Hi. I've PM you but haven't heard back from you. Are you releasing the effect or not?
Hey! I'm also interested! :)
Cheers!
What I like most is the color change though. It's REALLY UNBELEIVABLE. I guess the color change alone (of one card) can be an effect on its own, right?
Hi, just let everyone know that after receiving so many PMs I've decided to release it. The exact official launch date I don't know. I have a pipeline of projects and things has been keeping me extremely busy. But there will be a pre-release to the members on Café just to show my appreciation for all your support here. The list will be cut next week. If you are not able to make it you'll have to wait for the official release. Again, I can't promise when the official release is going to be. Just to give you all a teaser of my current projects, I'm also directing a DVD set for SM company, consist of very direct and visual impromptu effects; as I think the most 'amazing' magic that lay audience can possibly perceive, would be magic that's direct to the point, visual and done with borrowed or obviously ordinary objects. I've seen some really cool stuff from other artists from SM during filming stage. I am looking forward to the final product. It'll be packed with lots of cool stuff in each DVD. It's gonna be an exciting year. :)

Best to all,
Will Tsai
Thanks Will!
Let us know!
Hope it won't be too expensive btw... ;)
I am glad I got my name in on this EARLY..... Cant wait.... Well yes I can, but still....
Thanks Willie! I know for sure I was one of your earliest supporters and first to PM, so I better be on that list!!! :angry: :devilish: :mad: lol JK of-course. :)

Willie, you asked for our emails so you can send confirmation to us, but when you make the cut can you please post on the Café that the chosen members have been emailed? That would be GREAT!!

Looking forward to my Email :baby:

Paul
Yes Piz, I'll keep everyone informed.

Stay Safe,
Will Tsai
Good news Will, look forward to it.
Sounds great and I'll be looking forward to it as well.

Tim
I can't watch for some reason?
Hi guys, would like to make an official announcement that the sign-up list for the pre-release was cut off about ten days ago. Thanks for everyone's interest, but unfortunately I've decided to only make the pre-release available to limited number of people. The pre-release copy will also contain some ideas and bonus effects utilize the effect concept, which won't make it to the final release. Just a little of my appreciation for the early supporters from Café. If you absolutely feel the urge of owning this effect, please wait till its final release on the market.

Again, thanks for everyone's interest. Your support means a lot to me.

Best wishes for every Café fellows,
Will Tsai
Great Will! Let us know!
Hi all my friends on Café, I'd like to make a quickie to inform that I have already emailed all the early supporters that's on the cut-off email list about the release of the color changing effect. If you think you should be on the list and I am missing you, please pm me to verify. For all others who do not get to be on the list, I'd like to thank you for liking my effect. Please be patience for the final release.

For last bit of info since I do not wish to miss out who should be on the list. There since to have problem with this email address from Don Schaefer - magicman12@optonline.net . Let me know if I have got your email address wrong on this one Don. :)

Best,
Will
Sent you an email Will...
I never received an email, but that's OK, I understand. I would really love to own this, maybe when it's released :(

Looking forward to reviews :)
[quote]
On 2009-02-10 15:16, WillieT. wrote:
Hi all my friends on Café, I'd like to make a quickie to inform that I have already emailed all the early supporters that's on the cut-off email list about the release of the color changing effect.
[/quote]

Hi Will,

What is this cut off list for? A special pre-order price?

Thanks,

Doug
Hi Piz and GoldenEye, you should both be on the list! I just found the system that I am using to distribute email has problem with AOL and some other email service. Sorry for the inconvenience, but if you have another email, I'll be happy to include you on the list.

Will

PS. Doug, to answer your question, the pre-release is only offered to a limited number of members and early supporters of this effect from Café. As my appreciation for all the support from Café, the pre-release contains extra information that won't be included in the final release.
Oh, no... it's ok, I did receive your email Will! I just wrote back for enquiry... but now I placed my order! Looking forward to your color changing effect!!! Any release date?
Hi everyone, just a quick update. The number of pre-release purchase has already been reach. For those who haven't received the mail of confirmation, keep you eyes open for the final release from Hocus-Pocus. :)

Best,
Will
Have not heard anything and thought I was on the list from almost the very beginning??

Don
Any news concerning this? I was told on february 11th that the release would be in ten days... so I guess we should be pretty close, no?
Congrats on joining the inner circle, Ben.
...well... thanks Pegasus.
Any news concerning the crazy color changing effect?
Nothing??

Don
I just got an email from the production informing me that Will was currently having some health issues and was staying in hospital for some examination, hence the delay. However, I was told that the production team was proceeding with Will's instructions and that everybody on the list would be informed about the delivery opions within 24 hours.

Let's all hope for the moment that Will will recover alright and that we will have some good news soon.
^^^ I hope willie is doing fine, best wishes Will!

I have paid but have not received this email? Hope the Production Crew has my email address correct?

Paul
Paul,

I am in the same boat as you...

Nathan
I hope Will is doing well. I also didn't receive this e-mail.
John Kardel
Message: Posted by: michaelmystic2003 (Feb 26, 2009 10:01AM)
Am I crazy, or did he just use a Blink card?
I hope not...
Man... I hadn't thought about this...
I did get my email....

Earlier today...

Nathan
Yes, a new one was sent. The one I got was due to an inquiry of my part, maybe I should have mentioned it...
Any update?? I was told 24 hours wait... And it was 4 days ago...
^^^ I was told 48 Hours wait, and that was 3 days ago!lol

I'M SERIOUS!!!lol

Lets just hope Willie's doing OK, as we have not heard from him yet.

Paul
Oh... Let's keep us posted of any updates then...
Still nothing... :(
^^^ Yea, I meant to post earlier but busy at work.

They should not be emailing time-tables on release to there buyers if they cannot live-up to there word. Maybe (Hopefully) Willie is doing better and there enhancing the vid. :)

Paul
Just sent them an e-mail... I'll post as soon as I have an answer.
(Hope everything is not a hoax)
Just had a mail from Will himself. Apparently he has had some serious illness... But he seems to be recovering slowly. Good news!

He'll get in touch with all of us as soon as possible. I hope he will drop by on the Café.
Just seems a bit strange that if he can email, why can't he post on here to reassure everyone at the same time?
That's what I told him... And I suggested he could drop by... But I can assure you that he wrote me an email (and I like you am still waiting for this and have no link with him whatsoever).
Hey buddies, here I am! I am recovered (for the most parts) and desperately trying to catch up with all my schedules. The Singapore version has been delivered a few days ago and the Caf�version was delivered two days ago. I've received a few msgs from the members and found there might be the mail forwarding problem that some of you haven't received yours. The problem was immediately fixed and all emails has been re-delivered. Sorry if you have to received the same delivery twice. But this is the only way that I can ensure everyone receives it. :)

Hope all would enjoy the effect and be inspired by the material.

Best,

Will Tsai
I got mine...thanks buddy!

Nathan
Got mine too! :) thanks Will! (sent you an email btw...)
Got mine two days ago. Went thru it quickly without thinking and it made sense when I read it. When I think about it after reading it... very clever... REALLY CLEVER... some good stuff!
I really wish I had spare spending money when this was released. Really looks amazing. Can't wait to hear more/reviews.
I received mine as well. Finally got time to look it over. The method and principle is incredible! Well done Will. You surprised me with one more of your ingenious effect!
Havent had a chance to check it out yet but got my email as well...... Stoopid road trip kept me from reading it.......now I cant wait!!

Poof!

-J-
This is simply brilliant! I was hoping to receive something I would have never thought of, that was not cheap, and I did, this is pure genious!

I think it will take a good whole day (or half) out of my schedule to make everything needed to perfection, but def well worth it.

You get exactly what you seen in the original vid, color change is super-simple and will look just as seen once done with what needs to be. Willie actually throws-in some extra training demo's of the color change where it even looks better then in the original vid!

Well, off to ebay to purchase what I need, I plan on making this this coming weekend, I am VERY excited and can't wait to get started! :D

As a card guy I am ecstatic from what I received!

Thanks WILLIE!!! :)

Paul
Hey, looks like everyone is enjoying the effect. Have received many incredible comments through email, nothing delights my day more than knowing people are not only finding my material worth their investment, but loving and enjoying the effect even more after learning the method; which do not happen too often in the magic market today. :) However, many who weren't able to catch the pre-release have emailed and PM where and when they'd able to purchase the final release. Thought I should answer them all at once here. The final release will be out first through Hocus-Pocus. Please be patient and keep your eyes wide open at http://www.hocus-pocus.com .

For the folks who PM and email about their excitement, thank you for liking and enjoying it. :) I am moving my line into North America market, there will be quite a few very interesting effects coming up. Definitely need all your support to make everything happen. Let's grow in the journey of life together my friends.

Best,
Will
GEEEeeezzz! Haven't been on here in a week or so as was working on something I wanted to post on here (and did...but never mind that!!)

My Birthdat was March 2nd!! Too late to get one as a present???

Just MAJOR kidding there!!! :)

What do I have to do to get one of these???????

Please PM me if needed!! THANKS!!!!!
I just GOTTA start checking my "late nite" posts for typos!!!

BirthdaY was March 2nd!!
Piz, are you making the special gimmick or buying the effect that has it ready made?
Hahaha. Finally! This is my time to make a useful post. :)

Just take a look at this:
http://www.hocus-pocus.com/magicshop/inc/product_detail.cfm?item=11380

Looks like it's out for sale now. ;)

edit: hah, linking to hocus-pocus seems harder than I thought.
I will pass on this one. It didn't make sense to me.

Thanks for the heads up.
I just watched the clip on the Hocus Pocus site and was pretty blown away.

After the changes, which I think would garner some impressive recations, you could do a deck switch.

The ad says:

Highlights: Yes, the spread can be broken and every card can be displayed in full view before and after the change. No odd movements. Just a simple spread and re-spread. Yes, you can allow the magic to happen in spectators' hands and end clean if so desired!

Oh, and did we say there was no force in this effect? Comes with core presentation, "Eye of Perception." Comes with additional tips and handling from buddies such as the legendary Paul Harris and all time genius Andrew Gerard.

Comes with private access information to the new E-struction system (a combination of both written information on constructing precise prop and streaming video to allow ease of learning). No refills to buy and you will learn everything you need to construct your own miracle!
Fooksau, think Will posted his presentation earlier in this very same thread. The presentation about perception is very cool and makes perfect sense to me. You should check it out :)

I am a lucky owner of the pre-release. The method is so ingenious that I was blown away after reading it... it did come with a routine which allows the magic to happen in spectator and end clean though. Think it's contributed by Paul Harris.

I am making mine once I find some time. Will post back as soon as I do it.

Aaron
As one of the lucky early purchasers of Will's latest effect I must say I'm really very happy with it.

The routine runs exactly as seen on the video demo Will provided a link to. The method is really ingenious and well-thought and Will really takes the time to go into every detail, for the presentation as much as for the construction. Videos and photos are always illustrating either the construction or the presentation and I found that really helpful.

I don't think there's really much more to say... You all saw his incredible effect on video and that's what you get. Perhaps only one thing again: well done Will !!!
I also go the pre release and like the whole thing. I havent put it together yet, but it did put my mind in motion of incorporation to one of my routines. All I am going to say now, is thanks Willie!!

Poof!!

-J-
Ok guys, literally,

WTF is that http://www.magicmakersinc.com/decks/knockoutdeck.html ?

looks like a severe rip-off to me ...
I hope it's not, though. That would just suck.
Here is a question to all you guys who really know how this works.....I do a trick called NOMAN OMAN. I am pretty darn sure they use the same gimick BUT Can I buy WTF and incorpoarte the effect with NOMAN OMAN?
IMHO... WTF and Knockout DECK have the same out come with differnt methods. Again IMHO WTF is better cuz you can see the backs to all the cards which is something you didn't see with knockout.
Does it come as a gimmicked deck or do you have to make it yourself?
If so are you supplied with the necessary cards ?
[quote]
On 2009-03-14 12:17, king2262 wrote:
Does it come as a gimmicked deck or do you have to make it yourself?
If so are you supplied with the necessary cards ?
[/quote]

As of what I've heard, you get the concept instructions to build your own and you'll also have to get what you need on your own. not 100% sure though.
I will say this, Ashley sure is the "Knock Out" in that effect;)
How long has Magic Makers been selling the KO?

magicmike30
Leon is correct 100%. the effect would be pretty expensive if it came ready to go. (And most things you might have already in a drawer)

Poof!!

-J-
How much do the props/supplies end up costing to make this deck?
^^^ I just bought one item from a HOBBY SHOP for $5.00, 2 decks of cards (WalMart $5), another thingy for about $3, then another for $2...

TOTAL: $15.00~!

I already have all I need, tonight begins construction. I would like to note, nothing I purchased came from the Internet, I found all I needed within a couple mile radius of my house.

This will be time consuming, but well worth it, def the most eye-popping color changing routine I have ever come across.

Paul
That is the best thing I have seen in years! It is my next purchase. WOW!

Trey
I'd buy it. It looks great!
Just constructed my deck over the weekend. Didn't get it to work the first time and found what I did wrong in the instruction right after I did it. LOL, should have read carefully. The 2nd one that I made was perfect. Spent some solid hours to master what was needed. When I finally got the moves down, I started to do some trials in front of my mirror.... and I got totally addicted. I kept on doing it over and over all Sunday long my wife thought I was insane! Not that I am a hard worker, but it's just so much fun fooling myself!! The spread is so ingenious that I almost feel like I was doing real magic!!

Just some after thoughts.
Sweet! It sounds to good to be true.

Trey
Is it available anywhere other than Hocus Pocus?
I love this effect. Made 5 colour changing gimmicks in about a half an hour, but I gaff cards so I had all the supplies to begin with. The colour change really catches people off guard!
[quote]
On 2009-03-17 07:33, Irishghost wrote:
I love this effect. Made 5 colour changing gimmicks in about a half an hour, but I gaff cards so I had all the supplies to begin with. The colour change really catches people off guard!
[/quote]

Jeremy, thanks for the post.

Hocus-Pocus is hipping these now, so I can't wait!
Hello,

WTF by Will Tsai is a Hocus Pocus exclusive. These arrived this morning and all pre-orders have been shipped. We have plenty in stock to ship immediately.

Best regards
Paul Gross
Owner
Hocus Pocus
I understood that this was a "do it yourself" effect (i.e., you make the deck). What is shipped? Is it on a DVD?
Paul, are the decks ready made up, or is it a DVD?
^^^Good questions guys, I'm just as confussed.
One more thing...

The deck is simple to make, I can pop them out all day! The gimmick is what I am having problems getting as perfect as I would like. It works good, the problem I am having I can't really say without exposure of some-sort.

I'm hoping it's the gimmick HP is releasing, I'll be happy with that! :) If not, back to the drawing board. I'm sure I'll get it how I want it this coming weekend.

Paul
OK...ordered...that looked simply stunning.

Steph
On the HP website it states........

'Comes with private access information to the new E-struction system (a combination of both written information on constructing precise prop and streaming video to allow ease of learning). No refills to buy and you will learn everything you need to construct your own miracle'

So I am assuming you are just buying the link?
^^^Just called HP and what they pretty much received was the instructions to the download to begin selling it, so nothing will be getting shipped-out as far as a deck,gimmick,etc, it's a download.

If you have the download your set.

Time to make another gimmick! :)

Paul
Paul Gross' post above states, "These arrived this morning and all pre-orders have been shipped. We have plenty in stock to ship immediately."

If it's download only, then there is an unlimited supply and there's nothing to ship. That's why some of us were confused.
I agree, it really does not make sense. Even better you can't PM Paul for clarification.
[quote]
On 2009-03-20 13:17, Piz wrote:
^^^Just called HP and what they pretty much received was the instructions to the download to begin selling it, so nothing will be getting shipped-out as far as a deck,gimmick,etc, it's a download.

Email me Piz if you are having a hard time to make the colour changing gimmick, I have made a few and can walk you through it

Paul
[/quote]
[quote]
On 2009-03-21 00:01, Irishghost wrote:
[quote]

Email me Piz if you are having a hard time to make the colour changing gimmick, I have made a few and can walk you through it

Paul
[/quote]
[/quote]

Yes, we saw that post. But Paul Gross' post contained seemingly contradictory information, which is what had some of us wondering if perhaps circumstances had changed.
Message: Posted by: Bernardo Rodriguez (Mar 20, 2009 11:24PM)
Yeah I'm sure everyone is confused because everyone is talking about they made it..(you also have to think they got first run orders outside of hocus pocus)
so they could now sell it with hocus pocus with gimmicks or dvd or something..
I'm just wondering if its download or instructions mailed.

Bernardo Rodriguez
Hey all friends, thought I should jump out and explain what's happening. We are currently running a new system called E-struction, a combination of both video and written instruction online. The system basically runs like selling DVDs, but what you will receive in the pack contains no physical DVD, just Login information along with customized password. Each set's login information is unique and associate directly with the purchaser's information. Since we only do retail to our private customers, this is just a new system that we are running to control the number of copies flowing on the market, and protect the rights of people who invest in such product.

Hope this answers some of your question.

Best,
Will
Given that it is electronic medium, wouldn't it make sense to e-mail the login and password information? That way, the customer could access it immediately rather than having to wait for a hard copy to be mailed to them.
[quote]
On 2009-03-21 15:37, magicbob116 wrote:
Given that it is electronic medium, wouldn't it make sense to e-mail the login and password information?[/quote]

And get it immediately without shipping charges? That's crazy talk!
[quote]
On 2009-03-21 16:14, DougNicols wrote:
[quote]
On 2009-03-21 15:37, magicbob116 wrote:
Given that it is electronic medium, wouldn't it make sense to e-mail the login and password information?[/quote]

And get it immediately without shipping charges? That's crazy talk!
[/quote]

Thanks. I needed a good laugh tonight!
I agree Bob. Why not just e-mail the info? I was thinking about getting this, And I probably still will. But the whole "We will SHIP you login info" thing is a little hard to swallow.

What gives?
Mine arrived. You get access to a website that has detailed instruction on construction and also video clips.

I also got David Forrest's "Colour Burn" DVD with the same order just to see if they would be cool to combine. The fast change of WTF or the slow change of Colour Burn. Should be fun to play with.

I'm really happy with this. At first I thought they should supply everything and charge $75 or so. But, this is better because you can make up your own, customize, etc.

The deck would be easy to make. I think I'd go to Jeremy at Underground Gaffs for the special effect of the instant change as I'd want that to be perfect.
[quote]
On 2009-03-21 00:01, Irishghost wrote:
[quote]

Paul
[/quote]
[/quote]

Thanks Jeremy! :)

I actually ordered an effect that uses the identical something used to make this happen, comes pre-made! :D

I will def take-up your offer when the time comes!

Thanks again, talk soon! :)

Paul
Received this today, and I have some work to do...

The main principle is not new, see Glenn Gravatt "Final Selection", trick called Transposing cards. But the combination and use of principles are nice.

The cost of sending this to me (Norway) with priority mail was $15. I was kind of surprized when I opened the big envelope and the only thing inside was a usename and a password!

And the video clips cannot be downloaded. Only streaming. So this is not for your library.

A lot of money for an old idea, in a new wrapping. But a nice wrapping.
As an owner of Glenn's Final Selection, without going into method, there are significant differences in WTF that allow what you see from the demo to happen which cannot be done with Glenn's Transposing Cards. I was surprised how much thoughts went into this effect to accomplish what it does. At the price of $30 nowadays, it's a bargain to me! :)

Aaron
For the effect and the thought that has gone into this, I think they gave great value for the price.
[quote]
The cost of sending this to me (Norway) with priority mail was $15. I was kind of surprized when I opened the big envelope and the only thing inside was a usename and a password!
[/quote]

I take question in service of hocus pocus. Recently~
They do sale all almost 1 year and for 365 days.
But, the retail price is appropriated high. Compare with other magic shop~
There are a lot of items that do not become sale
Delivery fare is expensive.
Specially foreign countries delivery~
I bought items before several days. 1 Buy,2nd Item Get 50% OFF Sale Event!
But, was calculated by credit card.
By price that discount is not applied.
They did not send last invoice.
Sent invoice request mail,but did not answer either.
But, advertisement mail sent.
Why do not they improve site?
Maybe To play thief service.
Are you foreigner? Go Penguin Magic~
Now, must realize net about discount event.

Loops 2DVD

Penguin : $46.50 - $4.65(10% OFF) = $41.85 + $11.95(Foreign) = $53.8
Hocus Pocus : $49.95 - $14.958(30% OFF) = $34.992 + $23(Maybe) = $57.992

US?
Penguin : $41.85 + Free Shpping = $41.85
Hocus Pocus : $34.992 + $6 (Minimum) = $40.992 More(Never Minimum)
Still, I feel that Hocus Pocus is not my friend. They don't care about my costs when they send this little paper slip in a big envelope for $15. I does not affect their income, I join the other members who have asked why not just e-mail, or a small letter envelope. But never mind. This has nothing to do with the product.

I am not so entusiastic about the product as others here. I bought it because it was stated that it was not a force. Then I could not figure it out. How could it be possible to change the whole deck into any selected card? Not possible, or ? I just had to check it out. What a deck to use in walk-around situations! But I was cheated once again.

But of cource, the spectators may get the impression that the deck is changed into whatever card they selected. But this effect I can create with my current knowledge and several forcing decks, for example Svengali.
[quote]
On 2009-03-28 05:39, Knarild wrote:

...But this effect I can create with my current knowledge and several forcing decks, for example Svengali...
[/quote]

I love Svengali's, but that deck can't create the color change that WTF accomplishes.
By stating no force, there was no specific card needed to be shifted or controlled. Any card being touched and selected by the spectator is shown. There's no force operational-wise. Before I purchased, I emailed Will and that's what he answered me. He was very open to this. And to me, it is a fair statement.

I am a Svengali lover myself, but WTF does much more to me. I've made the deck and had so much fun in the past week! What's in the demo is exactly what I got from the purchase. I think it is an honest advertisement considering the video demo shows the entire performance with no editing. What you would receive from the order (electronic access info) is also openly stated from Hocus-Pocus. If that¡¦s how they are marketing the effect and you make the decision to purchase, there¡¦s really no point to complain. No offence to anyone, just my personal thoughts. I am not associate with Hocus-Pocus but being their long-time customer. And I¡¦ve always received great service from them. Thought it would be unfair to them considering everything is openly stated from their website.

Aaron
Not refering to this specific product: If you use a one way forcing deck, would you insist that you don't force a card? Well, it is right that the spec can select whatever card she likes, but to tell your magician colleagues that you don't use a force, would be wrong in my opinion.

Of course it is bad costumer service to put the electronic access info into a huge envelope which costs $15 to send! That is to ask you to keep away in the future. But as I said, this has nothing to do with the product.
[quote]
On 2009-03-21 23:10, Tim Jahn wrote:
I agree Bob. Why not just e-mail the info? I was thinking about getting this, And I probably still will. But the whole "We will SHIP you login info" thing is a little hard to swallow.

What gives?
[/quote]

Agree with Tim.

Also, I would like to save a copy of ALL in my PC and review it with my ipod.
If I paid it them I think I have the rights? isn't it?
[quote]
On 2009-03-28 05:39, Knarild wrote:
Still, I feel that Hocus Pocus is not my friend. They don't care about my costs when they send this little paper slip in a big envelope for $15. I does not affect their income, I join the other members who have asked why not just e-mail, or a small letter envelope. But never mind. This has nothing to do with the product.

I am not so entusiastic about the product as others here. I bought it because it was stated that it was not a force. Then I could not figure it out. How could it be possible to change the whole deck into any selected card? Not possible, or ? I just had to check it out. What a deck to use in walk-around situations! But I was cheated once again.

But of cource, the spectators may get the impression that the deck is changed into whatever card they selected. But this effect I can create with my current knowledge and several forcing decks, for example Svengali.
[/quote]

Knarild,

I agree with you ,Hocus Pocus don't care about customer's cost. They sent me a very small and light weight items in a big fedex box and charge me $75 for shipping. The item's price is only $95 !

I bought from the others dealer they all shown the shipping cost in the cart, Hocus Pocus never show the shipping cost in their cart, they charge whatever they like.....
This whole debate raises another issue. Resale. I've already seen someone selling this right here at the Café. I asked if they were selling the physical deck or the password for the online instructions. The posted reply was "I am selling the instructions to construct the deck." That's a little vague especially since the only instructions I'm aware of are the online ones. My point is not to malign this seller but, rather, to ask if a password can be resold. I would think that they might associate an IP address with each password or something to prevent 100 guys from using the same password when it's leaked on the internet. Thoughts?
Jakal: Interesting info!
Coinlover: $75 for shipping of light weighted item! FedEx is expensive, but this sounds xtremely much.
O.K.

I just got my instructions for it and gave everything a look over. I am very impressed with the detailed instructions and I have to hand it to Willie. When he first posted his video long ago, we had all this speculation about possible editing bits and graphic mumbo jumbo but I knew from the very first moment I saw it that it was all Willie and his magic.

This dude is a very clever guy and I will be putting aside some time this weekend to make my deck. I now understand why Willie marketed it this way. As a magic creator myself, I completely understand that for him to make these by hand would make the cost of this miracle far out of the reach of most as it simply wouldn't be worth his time to try and constuct hundreds of them to fill orders from distributors. He would have to hire a crew just to keep up with the orders.

The route he took was logical and in my opinion the only realistic way to go about it. I will make this deck up and definitley use it as it will be one very cool piece of magic and well worth the investment of money and time.

Well done Willie,

Keep them coming!
Tony
Can someone straighten me out on this...so the effect is $30 and for that price all I would get in the mail is a user name and password to access an online site. on top of that I have to pay xtra for shipping? then the online video clips cant be downloaded? if all that is true, that turns me off to purchasing this.
[quote]
On 2009-04-04 22:38, ggarcia wrote:
Can someone straighten me out on this...so the effect is $30 and for that price all I would get in the mail is a user name and password to access an online site. on top of that I have to pay xtra for shipping? then the online video clips cant be downloaded? if all that is true, that turns me off to purchasing this.
[/quote]

You know what the real B%#ch of it is? With the way Hocus Pocus does things, You don't even know what the shipping charge will be. I read earlier in the thread that someone was charged $15.00 to ship this. 15 bucks? To ship me a username and password? So the effect ends up costing $45.00 plus the cost of the materials you need?

If this is the case I think I'll bow out on this one.

Can someone confirm the shipping cost?
Message: Posted by: Bernardo Rodriguez (Apr 4, 2009 11:15PM)
Yeah same here...
I think they should have sent thr username and password through email instead of through the mail with random charges.

Bernardo Rodriguez
Yeah, I gotta agree with others on this one concerning the shipping charges. I watched the video, like the effect, but there is no way I'm paying shipping charges for a user-name/password.
And I totally agree with magicbob. You send the information through email and each IP address is noted and kept track of.
To be charged $15 for a slip of paper packaged in a big envelope is absolutely ridiculous.
Hocus pocus usally are great in my opinion, however this seems an odd way to do business so I will pass.
My dear friends, just thought I should jump out and clarify a few things and share some of my thoughts. The WTF effect is a blast of success in multiple countries when it hits the market. Our initial goal, was to design a new form of deliverable media (such as traditional DVD) that helps to illustrate the instruction of producing gaffs that need to be precisely made; while keeping the convenience of video format to allow the 'moves' to be taught easily. The end result is a fully constructed website that has detailed written instruction and online streaming media, which allows the owner to access anywhere as long as there's Internet. And no download needed. We do think it's a great improvement over DVD as Internet can be found just about everywhere now.

The channel that we decided to market such product (and most of our future media products), is though physical delivery. Think of it as if you are buying a traditional DVD, but with a virtual DVD inside. If you purchased a DVD, you gain the access to the content when it arrives. When you purchase a virtual DVD like WTF, you gain the access to the content when it arrives. Furthermore, now you have nothing to carry with you. 2 second access from work place, perhaps school, or in a coffee shop with your cell phone. If you find this product in your local magic dealer in the future, it'll be purchased in the traditional DVD format, but without the DVD. We sell the very same product in multiple countries in the world and have huge success with it. My opinion is, what it counts in a magic effect, is whether the content of such effect is worth its value, regardless how the package looks like.

To me, the time and effort I, as the creator, invested in developing such beautiful effect over the years is worth way more than the retail $30 plus possibly $15 shipping. The owner of WTF effect could tell how much work went into this piece.

It's the magic that counts my friend. :) Just a thought.

Will
Sorry Will, But none of this is the point. No one is saying that the effect is not worth $30.00.

The problem comes on two fronts the way I see it. One is for charging people $15.00 to ship a piece of paper. (If you wanted to charge $45.00 for the effect, that's what you should have done). And two, There is no reason why this information can not be sent via e-mail. (Exept of course, To charge $15.00 to ship it).

I appreciate the work that went into this effect and that its your baby. But the shipping thing is just to much. It comes down to fair bussiness practices. Its not right to charge so much to ship paper just to get more money out of a product. And then on top of it, You don't even know your being charged that much until you look at your bank statment.

Myself, I wouldn't pay $15.00 to ship an actual DVD. If I was at checkout on ANY site and the shipping for one DVD came up to even half that I'd be signing off.
Hello,

I do not know who the person who posted here and said that we charged $15.00 to ship a piece of paper is. It should be obvious that there has to be more to the story than that. But because they can post in some fictitous name and not their own I guess I'll never know. I find it strange that if this was done that this person never contacted us at all. Don't you think that if they were so outraged that they would have sent us an email rather than post here? We have a Toll Free phone number, email and fax that are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week. So were not that hard to get a hold of if there is a problem.

What is amazing to me is that everyone jumps on the bandwagon without any facts and just assumes that is what was done.

I guess getting the facts and being responsible for what you post here just doesn't matter.

Paul Gross
Owner
Hocus Pocus
Paul, maybe you could tell us why you couldn't e-mail the username and password to the consumer rather than shipping them a piece of paper? That's the issue which you don't address. Could it be to get a few more extra bucks out of us? Also why is it that you don't show shipping charges when you checkout? What's the reason behind that?

I personally want to know what the total cost of the product is before I commit. That's one of the reasons I won't do business with HP. I don't want any suprises.
So please tell us all now. What ARE the facts? What is the shipping? Why ship it when e-mail would be easier for everyone?
[quote]
On 2009-04-06 22:10, edh wrote:
I personally want to know what the total cost of the product is before I commit. That's one of the reasons I won't do business with HP. I don't want any suprises.
[/quote]

Agree entirely.
Hocus Pocus must upgrade site. Automatic calculation & Order Process
It is not that talk design. At least,must have database.
Hello edh,

Thank you for your post and I will try to answer your questions.

First of all when we placed our order with the supplier for WTF we were not aware that what we would receive was a download. Therefore we charged our minimun shipping charge of $6.00 each as listed on our website. Had we known at the time that this was the case we would have made other arrangements. This product is now listed as a free shipping product.

If you wish to purchase WTF and get an email with the download information just request at the time of your order and we will be happy to do so and have been doing this for the past two weeks.

Regarding your question about shipping prices. It is almost impossible to post accurate shipping prices any longer. UPS and Fed Ex rates change on almost a weekley basis. This is all determined by size, weight, method of shipping, fuel surcharge and dimensional weight etc.All of these are hidden costs that we have no cotrol over and are dictated by the dufferent shipping companies. Because of our high volume of shipping with these companies we do get a considerable discount which we always try to pass on to our customers.

If you need the total cost with shipping we are always happy to quote these prices by phone Toll Free or email. The shipping and insurance we charge is exactly what we are charged by the various shipping companies we use. We are not doing anything to try to decieve our customers, we do this because we want to offer the best possible shipping rates and prices that are available to us.

The bottom line is Hocus Pocus has been in the magic business for 36 years. Were not perfect and do not pretend to be. But I do care about all of our customers and want to give the best possible service I can.If were wrong I do everything I can to make it right.I hope that this information helps.

Best regards
Paul Gross
Owner
Hocus Pocus
[quote]
On 2009-04-06 22:39, Paul Gross wrote:
This product is now listed as a free shipping product.

If you wish to purchase WTF and get an email with the download information just request at the time of your order and we will be happy to do so and have been doing this for the past two weeks.[/quote]

Nice to see a dealer listening to and accommodating the customers. Kudos on that!

I imagine $30 with no shipping charges and quicker access to the videos/instructions via e-mailing of password is starting to sound like a much better deal to a lot of people.

Good luck with your effect, Will. It looks great!
Thank you Paul.
I just placed my order for WTF and I look forward to looking it over.
Thanks for clearing that up, Paul. You have a great company, and I appreciate (and have benefitted from) the time you are always willing to take to chat with people when they call with a question. The fact is - as anyone who has mailed a package recently can attest - shipping has gotten a lot more expensive recently, at the very time that Amazon (and at least two well-known magic companies) trained people to expect free shipping. And you really have to do your homework; some things are cheaper to ship USPS, some FedEx, some UPS. As you say, there are an unwieldy number of variables based on many things other than weight. But a piece of paper doesn't really fall in that category, so it's nice you're now offering free shipping and the email option for this particular effect.
I'm glad Paul just popped in to clear up this confusion because I emailed the sales department today and they told me they would mail me the package for a flat rate at $3, which is better than $6, if I request it at the time of purchase. But hey, I like FREE over email even better!

But I do have to agree with Paul, we should be going to the distributor and asking questions before we go crazy with our posts. That's why I sent an email today.
I myself should have known better than to jump to conclusions about the shipping rate and I apologize. Should have known better than to take the word of someone who (Supposedly) bought it. It would have saved a lot of confusion if I had just picked up the dang phone.

The added plus is now getting this via e-mail.

GREAT JOB PAUL!! And again I Thank You.
Well, thank you very much for responding to my question Paul.
Thanks Paul for clearing that up. I've done a lot of business with HP in the past, and will continue to do so. Now that this is available through email, I'll also be placing my order.
Great to hear the full story thanks Paul
Hocus-Pocus is a great company that offers great service. Myself have always been their loyal customer. That says all.

The virtual DVD is a marketing direction that my crew - SM productionz, is taking in terms of delivering our products in hopefully an innovative way that helps our customers learn the complicated content in the easiest way possible. However, I do respect and appreciate opinions from all sides. Hocus-Pocus is a great dealer and did not involve in the design for the product form. There were numerous concerns when we are running business internationally. And this is our current solution. It's not perfect, but I am sure with all your help Paul and I can always arrange to make things work for you my friends.

Best,
Will
Been away some days, but I will of course check closer what actually happened. I ordered WTF from Hocus Pocus in March (order confirmation 16 March, order num 54709). I received the little slip of paper in an envelope 12.5 x 9.5 inches. The postage was $12.95 (not 15, as I said in my first post). The slip of paper with access info was the only thing in the envelope.

Im am sorry for mixing two figures here. The cost of postage was 12.95, not 15. But this does not change my opinion that this was bad costumer service, and that it shows that Hocus Pocus in this case has inflicted on me an unnecessary cost.

In my post my main intention was to support those who said why not send the info with e-mail. I never got that option. But I think it is fine that the practice now is changed.
Within 10 seconds Paul Gross e-mailed me, apologize for the shipping charge, and refunded the $12.95 to my credit card. This was definitly good costumer service! I think we then can close this part of the thread.
I got my password emailed to me this morning. Great stuff! And I thank Paul again for processing my order so quickly. I'm starting on my deck tonight and I'll let you know how it goes.

It sounds like the rest of this was just a misunderstanding. Glad its taken care of and has been resolved.
Wow having seen this thread for a while. I also shop from Hocus-Pocus, always great service. Looks like the misunderstanding has resolved. Let's stick to the bright side of the thread. Thought I'd share my thought after adapting this particular effect in my work.

I've made up the deck and performed this effect for a little over 50 times in my regular close-up bar gig so far. Man this is an AMAZING reaction generator! If you think the effect looks cool in the demo, you haven't seen a thing. You really have to try it to believe it. It wasn't easy to learn the handling at first. Spent some long hours practicing and getting used to the handling without having to look or think about it. The result is simply amazing and well worth the time! I've tried all handlings provided from the instruction and decided to stick with the original handling when I perform on stage, and the Paul Harris approach when I perform close-up. The other owners would know the reason. This effect is simply amazing in both the effect and the concept behind. After putting this into my regular gig, I honestly think that $100 wouldn't be too much to ask for this effect.

I've made a good number of purchases this year, congrat to Will, this effect is a winner!
I place orders with Hocus-Pocus on a very consistent basis. If I am in a hurry for the item I ordered, I just e-mail them, and ask when it will ship. Usually the same day or the very next day.

My point is, that all I usually use is e-mail, and every question I ask is answered the same day, and usually within an hour or two.

Instead of posting on here, contact them, Im sure any question or problem will be handled.
Wow, what happened in this thread? The Café is a popular site, but any issues with a dealer should be directed to them directly as no one can read every post on the Café. Paul Gross at Hocus Pocus works long hours and well into the night. He always answers e-mails or the phone.

E-mail: sales@hocus-pocus.com
TOLL FREE (800) 407-4040
Direct contact with the dealer should be the first approach, but in this particular case the question of e-mailing or sending by postal service was a hot topic when I entered the thread, so it seemed natural to join with my experience.

Knut
Oslo
Norway
Well... I got my deck built. This is really neat! I've done it in the mirror about 40 times and it looks great.

It took a while to build the deck. Oh and theres a lot better way to build the change gimmick. PM me if you want some tips.

I'll try this out on a few people and see how it goes over for me.
[quote]
On 2009-04-09 12:09, Tim Jahn wrote:
Well... I got my deck built. This is really neat! I've done it in the mirror about 40 times and it looks great.

It took a while to build the deck. Oh and theres a lot better way to build the change gimmick. PM me if you want some tips.

I'll try this out on a few people and see how it goes over for me.
[/quote]

Tim, I can't wait to hear how it plays for you!
So I'm here at work right now. I took this out on the floor and got the guys together and gave it a whirl. I didn't even get a chance to see the expresions on thier faces because they were to busy running around and saying saying "WTF"!!

So it plays really good. I was a little worried about the switch, But as far as they were concerned I was non existant for about 15 seconds. A lifetime to me and you. I could have driven a car out onto the floor and they would not have seen anything.

So... My first little try-out with this went over great! I'm still on my proving grounds to feel everything out though. My wife is next! Muuhaaahhaaaaha. :devilish:
All,
Just purchased this from Hocus Pocus.

I am awaiting the email from Paul Gross.

I will let you know my thoughts once I get the email and view it through

Alex
I had a real dickens of a time creating the gimmick. Can anyone give me some tips? My first one was so bad I think a kindergartener could have done a better job. I tried to PM Tim above but he can't receive PM's currently.
What materials are neccessary to assembile the trick? Are they expensive?

magiclee