(Close Window)
Topic: Tarantula/Taranchula Spider Pen Pro
No info on Mesika's web page, no release date yet.

Any info out there?

Demo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfvMP_XAH1E (Ring is done with Tarantula)
There's some discussion about it here. Haven't been any updates for awhile though.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=207025&forum=218

Kevin
No mention of "Tarantula"
Any new updates?
I just got some information about Tarantula. It looks like it will be coming out next month. Meanwhile, here's a demo of it. Take a look at what he does with the borrowed ring.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tw-PSYupQz8
Tarantula looks amazing, nice magic indeed.
I love the idea of having the ring end up back on the spectator's finger.

Mike
Message: Posted by: Monsieur Las Vegas (Feb 17, 2009 01:28PM)
Nice thing, the ring.
It's that sort of visual magic, I like.

So I'll wait for next month :D
So, why did it just tell me that "this video is no longer available" when I tried to watch it?

Steve
I can still see it. Chk your computer setting.

Is "Tarantula" a new product, or it is a trick included with the new spider pen??
This looks great!!! Yigal is a master of thread work. I'm sure this will be a big seller!!!

greg
Wow. I just watched this and felt like a kid who just saw Disneyland. The demo says borrow a ring...well is it just me or did it appear to be the same ring throughout the demo? It also appeared to be fairly large on each girls' fingers.

I was about to drop some money on magic though...but I'm saving up for this...
It would be nice to use their ring but I would rather use my own. If the thread breaks I don't want the lady's ring to get scratched.

Anyone know the price, $?

Best,

Doug L.
The haunted deck on the floor is exactly like spooked. Hope Nick Einhorn is happy with this...
I just got a chance to play with the Tarantula and it is really cool! These will be available in a couple weeks so keep your eyes open at your favorite Magic Dealer world wide. I think those of you who like to use the spider pen or other ITR's will really like this alternative.
[quote]
On 2009-02-18 12:32, PRINCE wrote:
The haunted deck on the floor is exactly like spooked. Hope Nick Einhorn is happy with this...
[/quote]

A different method may be in play here and besides Spooked never pushed the card that far out anyway. Tarantula appears to do so.

Best,

Doug L.
Spooked has always pushed a card that far out, and can push a card furthur if it wants to.
Bravo. You have a buyer in me
Had the same question about the ring being the same throughout the video. Doesn't take away from the effect though - I love doing the floating ring, but being able to spin it like that and have it hover looks light years better to me. (Movement always seems to get a better reaction than a static levitation.)

For anyone who has used it - (DavidPeters) you mentioned the spider pen, is the Tarantula electric as well?
Just out of curiousity, whats the difference between Spider Pen and the Tarantula? Is this just an updated version of the original? Also, I heard that some people had trouble with the Spider Pen (original) breaking. Is this one more durable? Any idea on price?
Like the price! I thought this would be twice as much!
Hey there,
Let's see if I can answer some of these questions, without giving too much away of course or stepping on toes. I don't think there is any ad copy released yet. Yegal did a pre-release at the IBM/SAM convention this last year so I know he has shown it to several people already.
The Tarantula is similar to the working of the spider pen. So if you know what the spider pen does then you can figure this one out.
The Tarantula is designed not to tangle, and is easy to fix or replace the (I.T.) I don’t usually use this kind of gimmick so when playing with it I broke the I.T a couple times. I was able to fix it real quick and easy. There are replaceable parts and they are all easy to get to.
There is no need to have a pen sticking out of your pocket.
The gimmick is virtually invisible.
From what I was told at the IBM/SAM convention these sold out real fast. I am sure it will do the same at Blackpool, I will try and get Blackpool updates for you.
As soon as I get official ad copy I will post it.

I am pretty sure that if you use items such as the Spider pen or ITR then you will love the tarantula.
Hope this helps?
Thanks for the info David!

I don't normally do thread work, but your post really made me think twice about getting the Tarantula.

Thanks!

Logan
Logan be aware - thread work is addicting :)

Thanks David and I hope this will be better in construction materials. Spider very very fragile...

Cheers
You are welcome. Coming from my perspective I see a lot less potential issues then the spider pen. Now, I am waiting to see the spider pen 2. I hear it is super fantastic as well. The on staff magicians here have drooled all over the sample I have been playing with. And it is still working great.
Add copy teaser:
Check this out: You’re in a normal setting – maybe a coffee shop, a classroom, even a party. You borrow a friend’s ring and hold it very fairly – nothing to hide. Suddenly, you give it a gentle horizontal spin and slowly move your hands away – the ring is now floating. Imagine that it continues to spin – without you touching it! The ring hovers up and down above your hand, from one hand to another, and slowly lands on your own finger! Now get this: You instantly repeat it, and end up with the ring floating onto the spectator’s own finger! Sounds impossible? Believe it or not, it’s easy to master! This levitation has it all. It’s fun, mysterious, edgy, and leaves a strong emotional impact.

The Tarantula is a unique gimmick that has shattered the conventional wisdom of what reels look like and accomplish. This stealth utility allows you to easily master levitation and animation for any situation. You can fearlessly perform completely surrounded with the Tarantula, and the preparation only takes a second. Literally, you have the power at your fingertips, and can show your hands empty at any time. The Tarantula allows you to perform countless effects that have never been seen or done before. The Tarantula comes with an explanation DVD, and everything you need to get started right away.

Every detail of the Tarantula Motorized Reel will be taught step-by-step.
You will learn new, incredible effects, including:

• Hovering
• New Haunted Pack
• Magnetic Money
• Magic Pen
• Floating Dollar Bill

“The Tarantula is magically genius. I highly recommend it.”
-Cyril

“This is the best levitation I have ever seen”
-Whit “Pop” Haydn
(6 time Magic Castle Winner of the year)

See live performances of the Tarantula in action.

Subtleties that will teach you how to perform with the Tarantula FLAWLESSLY!

You will receive in-depth detail on exactly how your Tarantula works and how it can work for you.

By seeing first-hand exactly how Yigal Mesika works with the amazing Tarantula, you will feel as though you are receiving a live, personal lesson.

• Easy to master
• Unlike any other reel
• Versatile
• Perform sleeveless
• No assistants
• Perform completely surrounded !!!
New video demo, for the ad copy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiM8dYqdoB0
David,

Can you address the concern that I had about the demo, in regards to the "borrowed" ring looking the same?

Thanks,
Bryan
I think it's pretty clear that that ring is not borrowed, considering it's 3-4 sizes above the ladies finger in all cases, plus it's the same ring in a variety of street and studio performances. It hangs off the asian lady's finger like a necklace.

I'm assuming you COULD do it with a borrowed ring, but you'd need to be more precise.
Oh ya, sorry Bryan. I think Doug has the right idea. You can borrow the ring but if it is a ring with a big rock on it (lady’s ring) then I don't think it will spin very well. I would think that a solid band would be best for this. You can have it spin on your finger or a spectator's finger. If you borrow the ring then there will be a little "hook up" involved while you misdirect them. shouldn't be a big deal. Also if you borrow a ring from the spectator it would usually be a nice tight fit so maybe spin it onto their little finger so it would go on without any problems.
Hope this helps!
HP just listed it:

"Available March 1, regular retail price is $74.95"

http://www.hocus-pocus.com/magicshop/?product=11287
Thanks Doug,

Here's our offer for Hocus Pocus customers.

It's with great excitement that we announce Yigal Mesika's newest and most anticipated release, Tarantula! Available in 2 weeks, you can pre-order yours today at a discounted price below and get a package of Yigal Mesika's Invisible Loops, a $10.00 value absolutely FREE!

Regular Price $74.95...Your Price $69.95 + FREE PACK OF LOOPS!

THIS OFFER IS EXPIRES MONDAY FEBRUARY 23 AT MIDNIGHT.

For more information, and to view the online video demo, click here:

Best regards
Paul Gross
Owner
Hocus Pocus
I had the privilege of seeing Yigal do a number of routines including the spinning ring, in Venice Beach, LA a few weeks back - slightly cloudy day, but broad daylight just the same. All the routine's I saw bar the spinning ring were loops/ITR possible, but the spinning ring was truelly astounding, and until now it has been driving me nuts to reproduce - cant wait to spend my $70.00 to put me out of my misery. Be assured, I was no more than 2-3 feet away, and it was truelly a masterpiece of thread work. I do the haunted deck with elastic loops, and that has most people freaking out, so cant wait for the reaction to this one......

P.S. The ring on the demos, is the same ring he used when I saw him, which made me think the ring was gaffed at first, but people were inspecting it.
I luv the technology involved with this and the possibilities, but when it comes to the ring float I still like the "less is best" philosophy taught in Pure Effect. Seeing a ring move around like that screams IT to me, were as cuffed in the hands for a short exposure is more mysterious and beautiful.
Only cost $74.95.. that actually worry me a bit about the quality (I owned spider pen I and I knew).

Frm the previous adv, it looked like a solid steel pen rather than the toy like plastic spider pen I. I expected it will cost much more (may be $100-200?).

Anyway, I can't resist and already order frm HP. Hopes that it is not disappointed.
Wise owl I couldn't resists either! pre ordered mine at magicwhiz with a free knockout deck. They have a pretty good return customer policy too.
Me three. Saw the demo, loved the ring routine. I always did spooked haunted deck with the spider pen but mine broke. :( I hope the Tarantula won't fail me. Looks very promising. My order is in HP. yay! Can't wait for the release. Thanks for releasing this.

-Alex
Does this compete with the Jon LeClair system? I really like his stuff but had problems with the setup in the @!r.
Based on the old adv copy, the new pen is made in steel, got remote control, pre-set dancing pattterns and the thread can be locked.

If this was still truth, $75 is a bargain. I may buy a few more after I tried it out.
[quote]
On 2009-02-19 18:37, vsteve wrote:
Wise owl I couldn't resists either! pre ordered mine at magicwhiz with a free knockout deck. They have a pretty good return customer policy too.
[/quote]

Congrats on your first post. I do not see where the free deck is mentioned... BUT they offer free shipping.
After viewing the demo I'm in. Looks really impressive, and I've had fun with loops over the years.
[quote]
On 2009-02-19 22:34, wise owl wrote:
Based on the old adv copy, the new pen is made in steel, got remote control, pre-set dancing pattterns and the thread can be locked.

If this was still truth, $75 is a bargain. I may buy a few more after I tried it out.
[/quote]

Are you guys talking about the new Spider Pen or Tarantula???

Best,

Doug L.
I have GOT to get me one of these!!!!!

David, CALL ME!
Quote:

Best,

Doug L.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Doug

Is Taranchula = the new spider pen pro??
[quote]
On 2009-02-19 23:32, magicmind wrote:
[quote]
On 2009-02-19 18:37, vsteve wrote:
[/quote]

Congrats on your first post. I do not see where the free deck is mentioned... BUT they offer free shipping.
[/quote]

Thank you! I felt the need to tell everyone I am getting the tarantula. It looks amazing!

Click on the right banner and you will get to their promotions page. Spend $50 and pick any 1 magic trick from the list for free. http://www.MagicWhiz.com/magic-promotions.html. The Knockout deck is the first item on the second row.

I have ordered from them twice before and have not gotten any problems!
[quote]
On 2009-02-20 00:07, wise owl wrote:
Quote:

Best,

Doug L.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Doug

Is Taranchula = the new spider pen pro??
[/quote]

We are talking about the Tarantula, the spider pen pro is around 250 USD, uses the same spider pen refill, the spider pen pro will be available directly from Mesika, just drop him an email to end up on the "list" so you can get yours when the next batch is ready (according to their answer, it should be available in a few weeks)

Now, I am wondering what kind of refills the Tarantula uses (as in the same as the spider pen? some new stuff? and how much will the refills costs? how many do we get with the Tarantula?)
The refill for the Tarantula thread is the spider spooler...same as spider pen. The battery is a button cell type, common for watches and other items. Easy to get.
As far as what is coming with it. Not sure yet. We don't have the actual packaging, I would assume one spooler and battery.
Is there any performance capabilities difference between the Tarantula and the Pro pen or is it just one is plastic and the other is mental with more of an up market look. I'm led to believe the Pro has a remote control unit with it
cheerz
Well, I don't have the complete details on the spider pen pro but this is what I have heard.
the spider pen pro will be made much better then the first version. It will be programable, you can get some good distance away from the floating object. I think the first video link posted here is showing him using the spider pen pro.
Of course the price is a big difference, MSRP $250.00. The Tarantula will be more for in your hands, on a table and on the floor by your feet.
As soon as we get more info on the pro I will post it for sure.
Ah.. no wonder it is that cheap. I am confused with the two products. USD250 for spider pen made much more sense and looking forward for it. Thanks to clarify fellows.

For Tarantula, its too late, I already bought it... hopes that it is good and worth the money.

I also have J.Kennedy's electronic reel. I do not use it very often because you need to press the button for the retracement and to create tension.... Hopes that Tarantula has more advance features than just a electronic reel??
Who is selling Tarantula at Blackpool?
I have the Tarantula. I bought it at the IBM-SAM convention.

IT IS NOT THE SPIDER PEN PRO. IT IS NOT A PEN AT ALL. It is a very clever device that spools thread, but allows you to apparently show your hands empty at any time.

If you think it's a pen, then you guys have been fooled better than anyone else.
[quote]
On 2009-02-20 20:45, Bill Palmer wrote:
I have the Tarantula. I bought it at the IBM-SAM convention.

IT IS NOT THE SPIDER PEN PRO. IT IS NOT A PEN AT ALL. It is a very clever device that spools thread, but allows you to apparently show your hands empty at any time.

If you think it's a pen, then you guys have been fooled better than anyone else.
[/quote]

Do you own the Spider Pen Pro? Which do you recommend?

Best,

Doug L.
I think the Tarantula appeals more to me than the pen. I wonder about the size of it ( smaller than John Kennedy's Stealth retractor?).
[quote]
[/quote]

I would say it is really a lot like Esoteric. I know Finn Jon won't mind. Esoteric was out a long time before Nick Einhorn's trick was.
How messy can this effect get with ITR running around all over the place?
OK, I am confused here???

Spider pen Pro the thingy here, or is the Tarantula the watch? Or is it a totally different device? And How much for Tarantula??? $250?? I know my buddy bought a SSP at a convention about 10-12 months ago for $80 bucks from Masika himself, and the thing broke from the ring connecting the pen, he said Masika had to go back to the drawing board. Now, what is what here? is the Tarantula the Watch??? Totally new device???

Thanks! :)
[quote]
On 2009-02-20 23:36, Bill Palmer wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

I would say it is really a lot like Esoteric. I know Finn Jon won't mind. Esoteric was out a long time before Nick Einhorn's trick was.
[/quote]

Esoteric and Spooked are totally different methods. Spooked uses any deck Esoteric is so gaffed that you have to be careful with it.
James
How about the difficulty (I mean with good practice): is it reliable?
[quote]
On 2009-02-21 05:00, Xiqual wrote:
[quote]
On 2009-02-20 23:36, Bill Palmer wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Esoteric and Spooked are totally different methods. Spooked uses any deck Esoteric is so gaffed that you have to be careful with it.
James
[/quote]

yes, that's right.
I never used esoteric deck.
I think the finn John ideas are beautiful only in his own hands.
I have seen other tricks that rely heavily on the so called "Fearson" hook. Is this a classic yet or they are friends of him? Is it "legal" or "ethic" to use a technique created by other magician to promote your own product or trick?

I don't ask this to kick Yigal's work, wich I'm sure is a great device for IT. Im asking to understand and because I'm in a similar position with a trick of mine.

If any of the greats can answer this dilemma... I'd be grateful
In the demo where a selected card revealed itself reminds me of an effect by Sanada in his Card Happening.
OKAY-the clip where the ring is spinning in mid-air and floats down into the spectators fingers? Is that Tarantula or Spider Pen Pro?

The Haunted Deck on the floor? Tarantula or Spider Pen Pro?

I imagine Spider Pen Pro gives you more distance than Tarantula? Why? It looks like both of them are hooked up to the body? Also, only the Spider Pen Pro has programs? So, the Tarantula is a reel with clever hook up? Can I write with Spider Pen Pro? Lastly, when is Spider Pen Pro coming out?

Best,

Doug L.
Doug,

The Tarantula is used for the ring and the haunted pack.

I'd like the know the answers to your other questions as well.

Bryan
Me too...
[quote]
On 2009-02-21 17:19, Doug Lippert wrote:
The Haunted Deck on the floor? Tarantula or Spider Pen Pro?
[/quote]
I thought it's the same at least in concept as Sanada's CH...
Could the tarantula be used for spooked?

-Alex
If you use Google and search for "spider pen pro" you get this:
http://www.geniimagazine.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=172873

The spider pen pro ad is here:
http://www.yigalmesika.com/Forum/SpiderPenAd.jpg

Yigal's website is here:
http://www.YigalMesika.Com [which is VERY nice, BTW]

The demo currently floating around is Tarantula, how do I know? Well when you go to Hocus Pocus you can click on the demo in the ad for Tarantula here:
http://www.hocus-pocus.com/magicshop/?hn=1 and it takes you to Youtube
which has this title:
"TARANTULA by Yigal Mesika - Official Trailer"

All these questions are actually answered in this thread if people will just read it. Several posters already said they have a sample of both Tarantula and Spider pen pro.

Tarantula seems to be a TT with a thread reel inside. I am just guessing though.
Spider pen pro has many features but the best being it uses one AAA battery.

The haunted pack can be done with almost any thread reel or line of IT.

Yigal's method was released in 1999 in "Animated miracles" I know spooked came out about the same time. Esoteric does not even count because of the gaff nature.

James
[quote]
OKAY-the clip where the ring is spinning in mid-air and floats down into the spectators fingers? Is that Tarantula or Spider Pen Pro?[/quote]

that is the Fearson routine
You would know.

[quote]
On 2009-02-21 23:13, Magic Spank wrote:
[quote]
OKAY-the clip where the ring is spinning in mid-air and floats down into the spectators fingers? Is that Tarantula or Spider Pen Pro?[/quote]

that is the Fearson routine
[/quote]
[quote]
On 2009-02-21 23:10, Xiqual wrote:
All these questions are actually answered in this thread if people will just read it.
[/quote]

No, not really. What 'thread' were you on? :rotf:

Best,

Doug L.
SPIDER PEN PRO IS ONLY AVAILABLE THROUGH MESIKA FOR THE TIME BEING! YOU HAVE TO EMAIL HIM TO GET ON THE LIST! IT'S FOR ±250$

TARATULA IS FOR 75$ IT'S WHAT'S BEING DEMOED IN THE VIDEO (THE RING, THE PEN, THE DOLLAR, THE HAUNTED DECK ALL OF THEM ARE DONE WITH THE TARANTULA).
So, I am looking into getting into some thread/reel stuff so, should I save my money and go with the tarantula, or should I get a regular reel?
Get a regular reel and invest in some good teaching material like John Leclair's "Who's afraid of invisible thread" DVD or the Michael Ammar set on invisible thread. By then the hysteria of a new product will be over and there will be reviews as to whether its a worker or not.
[quote]
On 2009-02-22 05:06, takeachance wrote:
Get a regular reel and invest in some good teaching material like John Leclair's "Who's afraid of invisible thread" DVD or the Michael Ammar set on invisible thread. By then the hysteria of a new product will be over and there will be reviews as to whether its a worker or not.
[/quote]

***, that's good advice. Do you or anyone else know which is a good IET reel? I have a very large spool of Infinity Thread I need to use!

Best,

Doug L.
There isn't one. It won't work. I bought the Omega reel and it worked great for a week or so. Then the thread broke and became so tightly wrapped around the spool I couldn't get it off or find the end again.

Elastic thread needs Losander's DVD, Art of Levitation 3. Awesome!
You can also tie your own loops and learn from Yigal and Finn Jon's loop DVDs
James

[quote]
On 2009-02-22 05:35, Doug Lippert wrote:
[quote]
On 2009-02-22 05:06, takeachance wrote:
[/quote]

***, that's good advice. Do you or anyone else know which is a good IET reel? I have a very large spool of Infinity Thread I need to use!

Best,

Doug L.
[/quote]
[quote]
On 2009-02-21 23:10, Xiqual wrote:/

Tarantula seems to be a TT with a thread reel inside. I am just guessing though.
James
[/quote]
Just watched the demo and theres no sign of a TT ,doubt it very much if this is the gimmick as its been done before .
Does it really matter if it was a TT or built in a ring or a watch or whatever?

It does a good job apparently! Gotta start learning how to spin a ring unless there's something else to help when this is released!
I'll need concrete reviews on this before I'll take the plunge.
[quote]
On 2009-02-22 12:56, pkg wrote:
Does it really matter if it was a TT or built in a ring or a watch or whatever?

It does a good job apparently! Gotta start learning how to spin a ring unless there's something else to help when this is released!
[/quote]
If it was in a TT it would matter to me , I'm pretty sure its not though !
I Think I will Wait for that review.
review anyone? Please...I don't want to be disappointed again as I was WITH SSP.

chEERS!
[quote]Get a regular reel and invest in some good teaching material like John Leclair's "Who's afraid of invisible thread" DVD or the Michael Ammar set on invisible thread. By then the hysteria of a new product will be over and there will be reviews as to whether its a worker or not.[/quote]

That is great advice takeachance, thankyou!
Its avaialbe for around $50 in wizard headquaters

edit:
nvm went out of stock, and price went back up
It's not a TT. Just watch the demo again and you'll see where it's hidden. I still have no clue how it works though.
[quote]
On 2009-02-22 20:02, PatrickGregoire wrote:
[...] I still have no clue how it works though.
[/quote]
Same for me... I guess however that you have to break the t****d at the end of the routine... so it means buying quite a lot of refills, no? But maybe I'm wrong.
That`s what I was thinking as well, which is what really puts me off about Tarantula. If you can keep using it over and over again and the only reason you`d have to refill is because you either accidentally broke the thread or the spool is empty, then it`d be great.
[quote]
On 2009-02-22 13:06, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
I'll need concrete reviews on this before I'll take the plunge.
[/quote]

Plunge taken.....waiting 2 weeks for hocus to stock it(pre-order)
You don't break the thread at the end since you use your own ring. It's not shown on the video but I'm sure that you removed the ring off the spec's finger after the levitation. There's also a reason for using your own ring, you need a ring that's a bit bigger than the size that the spectator would wear or else you won't have a clean landing on to the spec's finger (this is also the reason you choose a female spec). As to the actual gimmick, I doubt it's in a TT.
I can confirm that the Tarantula is NOT a TT.
I don''t thi8nk it matters what the Tarantula is. TT, fake ear lobe, nose tip...

It just has to work as advertised.
True, you're completely right there. But the fact that it demands a lot of refills or not somehow matters a little (IF the refills are expensive). Otherwise I sure don't care.
[quote]
On 2009-02-23 14:33, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
I don''t thi8nk it matters what the Tarantula is. TT, fake ear lobe, nose tip...

[/quote]
There are many gimmicks that work as advertised, but don't necessarily suit each individual dew to the nature of the gimmick !.
So personally I think it does matter .
Martin :)
[quote]
On 2009-02-23 14:33, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:

[/quote]

right on! the end justifies the means!(or the gimmick)
You are so right King, I am working on an ITR built into a toe tip. You can use it in sandals! I like the ear lobe and nose tip idea too Chris. ;-)

I will mention again, If you are one to use the spider pen or other ITR type device then you will like this.
I have not seen the DVD instructions yet, just written instructions that came with the sample.

The thread refills are the same as the spider pen refills. So you will get 25 feet for around $10 retail price.

You can use the Tarantula without having to break the thread each time but that depends on what you do with it. The method for the finger ring Yigal says to break it but if it is your ring you can just put it back on your finger if you want.

I don’t think this will replace everything you may use for levitating or floating objects but will go nicely in your arsenal of tricks.
Sure if you use your ring you don't have to snap the thread once it falls on their finger, but the very fact that you're dropping it on their finger is a gesture of giving it to be examined. Why would you make it drop on their finger and then take it back? Seems very counter-intuitive.
[quote]
On 2009-02-23 22:57, PatrickGregoire wrote:
Sure if you use your ring you don't have to snap the thread once it falls on their finger, but the very fact that you're dropping it on their finger is a gesture of giving it to be examined. Why would you make it drop on their finger and then take it back? Seems very counter-intuitive.
[/quote]

You'd take it back so they don't feel the thread. I only imagine.

Best,

Doug L.
I'll have mine in a few weeks. I'll let you all know, hehe.
James
Of course, as all floating effects, especially those which involve thread, it wil not be easy to perform ! Hopefully ! Mr Mesika just give us some new tools in order to give us new ways to explore...
I'm a little bit despointed when I read some posts where we can unederstand between the lines : "OOoooh I'am sure it won't be so easy as it seems to be on the video (!), and I'm sure that I'll have some troubles before doing it...the right way"
What do you expect ? Receive the box, open it and make the trick perfectly immediatly ? Hopefully for reel magicians, magic will NEVER be something like that !

Thank you Mr Mesika for all what you do for the magic community and for the wonderful tools you gave, give and will in order we can do real miracles ! (for those who feel cumfortable with the word "Work")
IMO the visual aspect of the spinning ring brings the levitation principle to a whole new level.

I'm absolutely fried. I hope that this doesn't need a billion refills if you want to keep repeating it.

Because that would make it very impractical for quite a few people...

I'd really like to know more about the tarantula before I drop any money on it. I've wasted lots of money on IT reels and I feel most don't suit me. At present I just stick to using IT without the use of a reel.

The tarantula looks to be pretty cool though :)
Doug, that's not what I meant. I understand the magician's motivation for taking it back. What I mean is why would you land it on their finger if you're just going to take it right back after and not let them examine it? Seems illogical to put it on their finger if you don't want them touching it.
I fully agree Patrick.

The specs would want to examine the ring for any trickery. It's a natural instinct.
[quote]
On 2009-02-24 07:49, PatrickGregoire wrote:
Doug, that's not what I meant. I understand the magician's motivation for taking it back. What I mean is why would you land it on their finger if you're just going to take it right back after and not let them examine it? Seems illogical to put it on their finger if you don't want them touching it.
[/quote]

There is no such thing as real magic so sacrifices have to be made. For the floating ring that means holding their hand and then taking the ring back unless you want to break the thread. (I don't see why you can't just remove the anchor point though, so maybe this is an option) Check out Spun by Morgan Strebler if you like the concept of the spinning object.

Best,

Doug L.
[quote]
On 2009-02-23 16:25, davidpeters wrote:
I like the ear lobe and nose tip idea too Chris. ;-)

[/quote]

David, I've been developing them for 30 years, but no luck yet;-)
[quote]
On 2009-02-24 21:29, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
[quote]
On 2009-02-23 16:25, davidpeters wrote:
I like the ear lobe and nose tip idea too Chris. ;-)

[/quote]

David, I've been developing them for 30 years, but no luck yet;-)
[/quote]

how about a 6th #in$er with a reel enclosed? hahaha
Have you seen Yigal's loop work with a ring? You don't need to tie the ring on.
How does the ring float level like that if it is tied or stuck on with wax? I'll bet it's looped through like Terry Lunceford's hookup.
James

[quote]
On 2009-02-24 20:59, Doug Lippert wrote:
[quote]
On 2009-02-24 07:49, PatrickGregoire wrote:
[/quote]

There is no such thing as real magic so sacrifices have to be made. For the floating ring that means holding their hand and then taking the ring back unless you want to break the thread. (I don't see why you can't just remove the anchor point though, so maybe this is an option) Check out Spun by Morgan Strebler if you like the concept of the spinning object.

Best,

Doug L.
[/quote]
[quote]
On 2009-02-24 23:44, Xiqual wrote:
Have you seen Yigal's loop work with a ring? You don't need to tie the ring on.
How does the ring float level like that if it is tied or stuck on with wax? I'll bet it's looped through like Terry Lunceford's hookup.
James
[/quote]

Have you seen Morgan's work with a spinning coin? Uses an anchor point.

Doug
Yes but a coin has a center.
[quote]
On 2009-02-25 07:42, PatrickGregoire wrote:
[/quote]
:)
:spinningcoin:
[quote]
On 2009-02-25 07:42, PatrickGregoire wrote:
[/quote]

You could use a Chinese style or karate style coin if you want. That way it can land on their finger.

Doug
That's not what I meant. What I was saying was that a coin has a center and a ring does not. That means there's more to it than Spun. You can't just stick the thread to the center of the ring to spin it horizontally because there is no center.
I'm thinking something along the lines of how Infinity Ring is held onto its chain.
[quote]
On 2009-02-25 20:03, PatrickGregoire wrote:
That's not what I meant. What I was saying was that a coin has a center and a ring does not. That means there's more to it than Spun. You can't just stick the thread to the center of the ring to spin it horizontally because there is no center.
[/quote]

A karate coin is a coin with a hole in the center, the same as a ring. This would let you spin a coin like a ring.

The thr**d is not being stuck to the ring. It is being looped through.

[quote]
On 2009-02-25 20:05, PatrickGregoire wrote:
I'm thinking something along the lines of how Infinity Ring is held onto its chain.
[/quote]

I suppose you could do it that way but you would tangle the thr**d.

Best,
Doug L.
Does anyone here know what type of batteries does the tarantula take? Also is there battery issues like the spider pen?

-Alex
I believe someone mentioned it uses watch-like batteries.

Doug, I don't understand your point about Karate Coins. I know what they are, but I don't understand why you bring them up. All I was saying was that you can't just attach the thread to a ring and spin it horizontally because there is no horizontal balance point.
I think I found "the ring". Check his index finger here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPLwgOhugtY
[quote]
On 2009-02-26 11:58, DougNicols wrote:
I think I found "the ring". Check his index finger here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPLwgOhugtY
[/quote]

What's the point ?
you're clever ?
I don't understand the interest of "how does it works"
If you like this effect, buy it if not don't, that's it !
Doug Lippert makes a good point that with a karate coin you can spin a coin like a ring (because it has a hole in the middle). I think the question is how can you spin a ring like a normal holeless coin. Personally I can't figure out a way to do it, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone else can.
That was my point. A ring has no center.
[quote]
On 2009-02-26 14:34, PatrickGregoire wrote:
That was my point. A ring has no center.
[/quote]

Maybe there is no ring, grasshopper.
Thanks Patrick. Does anyone know if the tarantula will will deplete the battery life quickly after using it for a day? I remember spider pen did this.

-Alex
Message: Posted by: michaelmystic2003 (Feb 27, 2009 09:34AM)
Don't get too excited.

Reports have told me that The Tarantula is a direct rip-off of Steve Fearson's own thread hook-up... all Mesika has done is added his special reel. To make matters worse, Mesika NEVER obtained permission to use Fearson's hook-up... in fact, Mesika blames Fearson for theft because Steve is releasing his at the same time. The only reason that Steve is releasing his hook-up again side by side with Mesika's product is to avoid issues.
[quote]
On 2009-02-26 07:42, PatrickGregoire wrote: All I was saying was that you can't just attach the thread to a ring and spin it horizontally because there is no horizontal balance point.
[/quote]

Heu, have you try it ???
I just do it right now ...
And ...
Yes, you can spin a ring horizontally (yes a ring without center and horizontal balance point).

Try it, you'll be surprised ;)
[quote]
Steve is releasing his hook-up again [/quote]

So are you saying there is nothing new to the hookup??
Message: Posted by: michaelmystic2003 (Feb 27, 2009 10:01AM)
Steve has made some cool improvements, but both the Mesika effect and the Fearson hook-up are identical.
I'll bet those "reports" come from Fearson himself. Do you really think you have any credibility as anything other than Fearson's mouthpiece?

Tarantula is not even out yet. I find it hard to believe you are "connected".
James

[quote]
On 2009-02-27 10:34, Michaelmystic2003 wrote:
Don't get too excited.

Reports have told me that The Tarantula is a direct rip-off of Steve Fearson's own thread hook-up... all Mesika has done is added his special reel. To make matters worse, Mesika NEVER obtained permission to use Fearson's hook-up... in fact, Mesika blames Fearson for theft because Steve is releasing his at the same time. The only reason that Steve is releasing his hook-up again side by side with Mesika's product is to avoid issues.
[/quote]
What do you mean the "Mesika effect"? You don't mean the Tarantula do you? It's obviously a reel...
Hey all, Hope I can give more insight. In the written instructions I read for the Tarantula, Mesika says he had gotten approval from Fearson to use and show the Fearson hook up with his product (s). Now, I have not seen what Gimmick Mr. Fearson is coming out with only the video showing what you can do with it so I don’t know how that will compare with the Tarantula. The Tarantula is more then just a hook up; it is a utility device that can do many things.
Hope this helps?
David thanks for the extra info. It does help!

Chris
[quote]
On 2009-02-27 12:11, davidpeters wrote:
product (s).
[/quote]

Interesting. What exactly does product (s) mean?
Message: Posted by: michaelmystic2003 (Feb 27, 2009 12:07PM)
[quote]
On 2009-02-27 11:22, Xiqual wrote:
I'll bet those "reports" come from Fearson himself. Do you really think you have any credibility as anything other than Fearson's mouthpiece?

Tarantula is not even out yet. I find it hard to believe you are "connected".
James

[quote]
On 2009-02-27 10:34, Michaelmystic2003 wrote:
Don't get too excited.

[/quote]
[/quote]

I have more credibility than you seem to think. Mesika claims to have received permission for the use of Fearson's hook-up. However, I have talked to Fearson himself and he has informed me that he NEVER gave Mesika permission.
[quote]
On 2009-02-27 12:57, Magic Spank wrote:
[quote]
On 2009-02-27 12:11, davidpeters wrote:
product (s).
[/quote]

Interesting. What exactly does product (s) mean?
[/quote]
Tarantulas not the first time Mesika has use Fearsons hook up ,it was used on his Floating sunglasses .
[quote]
On 2009-02-27 13:07, Michaelmystic2003 wrote:
I have more credibility than you seem to think. Mesika claims to have received permission for the use of Fearson's hook-up. However, I have talked to Fearson himself and he has informed me that he NEVER gave Mesika permission.
[/quote]

Please don't take this the wrong way.

But, unless Steve Fearson makes a statement..

Best,

Doug L.
Sanada?
Didn't I get an email from Steve Fearson a couple of years ago renouncing his possessions and joining a cult?
Message: Posted by: michaelmystic2003 (Feb 27, 2009 03:24PM)
*A couple of years ago... haven't you noticed that he's been back for a good two years with new sutff?

For anyone that cares, here's Fearson's product. It's up to you to choose which one you'd prefer to purchase. However, I would personally do the right thing and support the originator.

http://emagicsupply.com/112-masterlevitationsystem-63-custom.html
Why are you hijacking the thread with Steve's effect? There is another thread for that. And that link is broken.
Jeff Corn:

Steve has an off-beat sense of humor and marketing. Don't let it throw you.
;-)
[quote]
On 2009-02-27 16:24, Michaelmystic2003 wrote:
It's up to you to choose which one you'd prefer to purchase.
[/quote]

Have you seen his r**l in person? $39 is a good deal if it works.

Best,
Doug L.
http://media3.penguinmagic.com/audio/Yigal_Maxwell_Tarantula.mp3

Here's an interview with Maxwell Murphy and Yigal (found it on the penguin website... thought you guys might want to take a listen)
A reference to steve Fearson was made earlier
I just pre ordered this, and hope its not similar (hook up) to the cigarette of his.....
I have no (very litlle) hair!
will this be an issue?????
cheers
matt (cue ball)
[quote]
On 2009-02-27 17:58, matt.magicman wrote:
I have no (very litlle) hair!
will this be an issue?????
cheers
matt (cue ball)
[/quote]

No, Fearson's hook up can be modified for bald men.

Best,

Doug L.
Does it use the same hook up?
Message: Posted by: michaelmystic2003 (Feb 27, 2009 08:15PM)
I'm not trying to hijack, just to show both products.

Sorry, correct link: http://emagicsupply.com/112-masterlevitation-64-custom.html
[quote]
On 2009-02-27 18:15, matt.magicman wrote:
Does it use the same hook up?
[/quote]

If you're bald you will just move the th***d to a new "spot" in order to have greater control. Don't worry, you will be able to do all the effects that use that particular hook up.

I also pre-ordered the Tarantula, so we are both in for a treat!

Cheers,

Doug L.
Did you even read what I wrote? I said credibility as anything MORE than Fearson's
mouthpiece. Then you say that you have talked to Fearson personally.

MagicSpank is Fearson. He won't come here using his own name after all that porn site thing he has going.
James

[quote]
On 2009-02-27 13:07, Michaelmystic2003 wrote:
[/quote]
Message: Posted by: michaelmystic2003 (Feb 27, 2009 10:42PM)
Sorry, I misunderstood. Porn site? What are you saying?
[quote]
On 2009-02-27 23:42, Michaelmystic2003 wrote:
Sorry, I misunderstood. Porn site? What are you saying?
[/quote]

I have read some of his posts. A lot of them are negative.

Don't get stretched out. Best of luck with emagicsupply.

Cheers,

Doug L.
Sorry, my computer lagged and posted twice.

Doug L.
Message: Posted by: michaelmystic2003 (Feb 28, 2009 12:02AM)
I don't work for eMagic Supply. Except for the fact that I have a product there, I'm just chummy with Steve and we talk about things, new products, etc.
[quote]
On 2009-02-28 01:02, Michaelmystic2003 wrote:
I don't work for eMagic Supply. Except for the fact that I have a product there, I'm just chummy with Steve and we talk about things, new products, etc.
[/quote]

Oh, okay. Sorry.

I placed my pre-order for the Tarantula. Can't wait to see the teaching on the spinning ring and the haunted pack.

Best,
Doug L.
I got through the first few pages and didn't see my #1 question answered....

CAN THE TARANTULA BE LEFT ON??????

That is the thing I can't stand about the spider pen, having to turn it off and on. If you turn it off while table hopping but don't anchor the tack you're done...

This was one of the new features of Spider Pen Pro and the ONLY reason I was thinking of purchasing it;)
[quote]
On 2009-02-28 02:05, Hart Keene wrote:
CAN THE TARANTULA BE LEFT ON??????
[/quote]

I am 100% sure it can be left off. :)

I pre-ordered the Tarantula so I will come back to this thread and answer your question.

Best,

Doug L.
[quote]
*A couple of years ago... haven't you noticed that he's been back for a good two years with new sutff?

For anyone that cares, here's Fearson's product. It's up to you to choose which one you'd prefer to purchase. However, I would personally do the right thing and support the originator.

http://emagicsupply.com/112-masterlevitationsystem-63-custom.html
[/quote]

Yeah, I noticed, but no one that loses their mind is ever completely good to go again.
Do the right thing? You mean like Fearson did and used copywritten music in his Area 51 downloads? The unused theme from 2001- a space odyssey.

With all Fearson's complaining, maybe someone will get tired of him and drop an email to Sony music about his transgressions. They take that stuff REALLY seriously at the Sony legal department, especially when the music has been used for profit.
Fearson is a high profile magic inventor and porn drug creator [Organic-V] he needs to be careful.
James

[quote]

[/quote]
Message: Posted by: michaelmystic2003 (Feb 28, 2009 09:46AM)
What on earth is a porn drug?

The thing is, Steve says Yigal blatantly claimed that he has been given permission to use Fearson's hook-up, while Fearson gave no such permission.
[quote]
On 2009-02-28 10:46, Michaelmystic2003 wrote:
[/quote]

(viagra)

Maybe it is making Steve Fearson forget that he gave Yigal permission to use and teach his hook up?

Just kidding,

Doug L.
Mind Melter,
Thanks for posting the interview! I did speak to Maxwell this week about the utility, and he seemed very excited about it. EVERYONE that has come to this thread is obviously interested in it, or you wouldn't be here.

Like everyone here that has pre-ordered, I am certainly hopeful that this isn't "too good to be true"! Like any levitation, I firmly believe that simplicity and practicality is key. Let's just hope this thing isn't a goat rodeo to manipulate!

As for the simularities between the two effects that are being discussed here, and any toes between the two parties being crushed, I feel that it should be a completely different thread, AND more than likely not even discussed UNTIL the products have been reviewed and tested by all parties concerned. As for the battle between the two (if one exists) who give a flying ****?!?!?!? It's not for us to fight! Besides, we all know that healthy competition means US (the consumer) ulimatley wins!

Until then......Tight T****ds All!
You're welcome Zaprig1 :) glad you enjoyed it.

Did Maxwell say anything in particular about the utility? Has he himself seen it yet?

I'm still on the fence about pre-ordering. I may just wait for some reviews before I take the plunge. It's a tough call.
[quote]
On 2009-02-28 12:47, Doug Lippert wrote:
[quote]
On 2009-02-28 10:46, Michaelmystic2003 wrote:
[/quote]

(viagra)

Maybe it is making Steve Fearson forget that he gave Yigal permission to use and teach his hook up?

Just kidding,

Doug L.
[/quote]

I heard that he was a "stand up" sort of guy.:)
Message: Posted by: michaelmystic2003 (Feb 28, 2009 08:41PM)
[quote]
On 2009-02-28 10:09, Xiqual wrote:
Do the right thing? You mean like Fearson did and used copywritten music in his Area 51 downloads? The unused theme from 2001- a space odyssey.

With all Fearson's complaining, maybe someone will get tired of him and drop an email to Sony music about his transgressions. They take that stuff REALLY seriously at the Sony legal department, especially when the music has been used for profit.
Fearson is a high profile magic inventor and porn drug creator [Organic-V] he needs to be careful.
James

[quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Is this what you're talking about?

http://downlowmagic.com/
Hey Melter of Minds,

Yes, Maxwell had "played" with it. That's how he put it. I didn't ask specifics. He said it was "GREAT". That coming from a dealer......take it as you will.

In my 31 Years of ordering magic (I'm 38), the one constant and guarantee I've seen is that THE HAVE IS NOT AS GOOD AS THE WANT. Therefore, I've conditioned myself to try and be surprised. If it's great, it's great and I'll be elated! It probably comes from ordering Marshall Brodien stuff when I was 7 or 8, and back then Express Shipping ment 60 to 90 days via UPS (in its early days) NO JOKE! (Insert Grandpa lecture here...)

None the less, I'm excited to be a part of the T****D revolution, and will support any new developments as I've got a few of my own to perhaps market one day. I've worked with it since I bought one of Steve's first Floating Cig manuscripts years ago. Therefore, both Steve AND Yigel will get my support on this.

when it comes down to bare wire, I think the only difference between you and I is that I will beat you to the mailbox on this one........
Guys could we keep it on topic please?

The is seriously derailing the thread... and reaching some new lows...

Perhaps a separate thread for a discussion on Fearson's ventures should be in order?
Wow....are you refering to me pal??? I was merely answering your question and giving you a reason of interest. Don't expect any service like that again...........
Message: Posted by: michaelmystic2003 (Feb 28, 2009 09:09PM)
[quote]
On 2009-02-28 21:53, Mind Melter wrote:
Guys could we keep it on topic please?

The is seriously derailing the thread... and reaching some new lows...

Perhaps a separate thread for a discussion on Fearson's ventures should be in order?
[/quote]

It's a genuine question, I want to know if that is this "porn" thing that Xiqual is referring to.
"It's a genuine question, I want to know if that is this "porn" thing that Xiqual is referring to."
[/quote]

I'm not even sure what this means (if that is this???)? Is this a statement or a question? If it was a question, you forgot a BIG element. Also, if it was a question, who are you asking?
Message: Posted by: michaelmystic2003 (Feb 28, 2009 09:27PM)
What? I've already asked the question... I asked Xiqual.
OK sorry, you didn't use a question mark or word it as such. I'm outta this thread.......

Good Luck All!
Zaprig1 I was not referring to you mate.

I asked you a question. You responded to me in kind. That I appreciate (it was totally on topic)

I was referring to all the talk about Steve and his porn happenings and such... it has no relevance at all here. I feel it deserves it's own thread... or separate discussion (or which could have all been handled via PM).

Sorry if I didn't address it properly. I am at present, very ill. Once again, apologies for the misunderstanding :)
Message: Posted by: michaelmystic2003 (Feb 28, 2009 11:16PM)
You're correct... the topic should shift back to the levitation, naturally!
Hope you improve Mind Melter.

Best

Chappelly
Aren't any of you familiar with rope spinning?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOhfI-yPcXs
Can someone post a review when they get one of these? Thanks!
Rope spinning and spinning a ring on IT is not the same motion. With rope spinning you have to twirl the end of the rope. With the ring on IT, you have to spin the ring. For the spinning ring on IT to be the same concept as rope spinning, you would have to twirl the IT and not the ring, but that's not the case because he spins the ring. Like someone mentioned, I'm sure it's possible to spin the ring horizontally with the IT hooked on the side of the ring, but I'm just saying rope spinning is a different motion than spinning a ring on IT.
Thanks Mind Melter! My apologies for misunderstanding. I hope you're feeling better soon as well!
Any word whether this can be left on like the Spider Pen Pro?
Hocus Pocus has this IN STOCK.
So who is the one???
The Tarantula are being put in to the system now. Will be shipped out today to your favorite dealer. Be sure to get your order in with your favorite dealer!
Ordered. It's on it's way to me now.

As I live in Australia, it'll probably take about 10 days to get to me.

So all you folks that have ordered this (and live in the USA) will definitely get theirs first. Please add your thoughts/reviews once you receive it and have had a chance to play around with this :)
Hocus Pocus has them in stock now ( and only $69.95 )

Plus also they throw in a package of Mesika's Invisible Loops. That a great deal and makes sense to get loops.
Yep... I had ordered one from HP

Great deal, plus they had a %30 off sale for members.

I got an email today saying mine is on it's way.

Got to love HP!

Randi
I found a performance video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4TTQ16djhA

Warning - There is some profanity in this video.
That was funny! LOL
ROFL!!!
LOL

Dude that was funny as! Loved it.
That was really funny. Who owns the rights to that.
[quote]
On 2009-03-07 13:18, Mercury52 wrote:

[/quote]

Nice, very nice! lol. I like this version better than Jim Pace's The Web.

Best,

Doug L.
Hahaha thanks for the laugh! :P I like the butterfly trick as well.
Hahaha that was great!
Just to let you guys know...the hookup used by Magick and I in this video might be similar to the one used by Yigal :)) hahaa...but I doubt it

Alex^
Excellent ! Just Excellent !
Bravo !
HAHAHAHA! Love the video Alex.

I need to stop by Fantasma more often to see exclusive performances like that!
WOW! I received mine on Saturday, and since my show schedule had me booked late on Saturday and half the day Sunday, I just now opened up the Tarantula from Hocus-Pocus, and was I ever surprised. It is totally different than I expected. I think I was surprised because for some reason, I was expecting a pen! I am really looking forward to playing the DVD and getting into this.
I wonder if I will be able to use this system considering my lack of certain criteria. Picture on left.
[quote]

[/quote]

Was the selected card in the Tarantula's mouth?
[quote]
On 2009-03-08 22:16, Psychic Samurai wrote:
[quote]

[/quote]

Was the selected card in the Tarantula's mouth?
[/quote]

... no... it was a gag/joke :)
So was my post :)
My bad. Thought you were serious there... haha

On another note. Some dude on youtube has his.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lU4T9pNraN4
I like the video .. But isn't this something that Fearson has been doing for a long time?
[quote]
On 2009-03-08 21:47, slyhand wrote:
I wonder if I will be able to use this system considering my lack of certain criteria. Picture on left.
[/quote]
I guess if you look at the demo video just posted it might give you an idea that can be functional and fashionable also.
magicmike30
Ugh, not at my age. I'll just look for some Miracle Grow.
Hmm, was it really the Tarantula? He didn't drop the ring on his finger, but pushed his finger in the ring? And at the beginning when he shows the ring, is that a thread tied around one side of the ring? :P
Ive been using this device for a while now and I love it. Truly ingenious.

D
I'm still waiting for a Review.

I'm on edge waiting...waiting...waiting...
Hehe, same here!
Randi Rain has a review in the Tricks and Effects section.
Thanks... Bryan.

Yeah.. this section is not where reviews go.

Randi
Good luck Dave.
Whoo, found another performance video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71aiCOwfbEw&feature=related
Does anyone here know if Yigal will be selling only the tarantula without the dvd anytime soon? I already own the tarantula and would like some back up ones for later. I will be posting a review soon.

-Alex
[quote]
On 2009-03-10 18:57, puffinmonkey wrote:
Does anyone here know if Yigal will be selling only the tarantula without the dvd anytime soon? I already own the tarantula and would like some back up ones for later. I will be posting a review soon.

-Alex
[/quote]

Check the Tricks for sale section. There's one for sale there.

D.L.
[quote]
On 2009-03-10 05:21, Steven70s wrote:

/quote]

Folk:
After you view this clip, immediately underneath it, you have to watch the
Tanrantula Performance/New York Magic Project. Runs for 40 secs.. After
viewing it, I had to throw some 'Nitro Pills' under my tongue, in order to get
my breath back! Absolutely hysterical!
That was hysterical!! HAHA!
Dude, that was so funny hahahaha
Lol, love the reaction of that dude, haha
Does the gimmick become "part of your body" or is it a prop like the pen?
Invisible, the prop becomes part of you vs the pen. Very versatile and in my opinion more practical than the spider pen in different aspects.

-Alex
The use of this gimmick is completely futile for the "Hovering" effect IF you would even do THAT effect as demonstrated! Personally I don't think I would without a stooge! This of course is MHO. Please take it as you will. I respect the hookup AND the use of IT much more than to risk this type of exposure, and I really hope that the magic community does as well! If you really need to float a ring into a spec's hands, I recommend a traditional reel, and Steve's old routine! Simple as that! You and the ring end completely clean!
Yeah I agree with Zaprig. I was "hovering" around the order button all day today, but I am seriously trying to figure out why I shouldn't just use the hookup we already know and perform this. Especially since I can get thread cheap, won't have to buy new spools, etc.

I initially just loved the ring effect, then of course became interested in the fact it was a really cool new reel, but the main thing is, I like the ring effect.

So am I missing something, or am I making sense? I don't want to pay $80 for something that will cost me pennies, and save even more of those pennies down the long run.

Any help is welcome!
Bryan
[quote]
On 2009-03-10 19:55, Sixten wrote:
[quote]
On 2009-03-10 05:21, Steven70s wrote:

/quote]

Folk:
After you view this clip, immediately underneath it, you have to watch the
Tanrantula Performance/New York Magic Project. Runs for 40 secs.. After
viewing it, I had to throw some 'Nitro Pills' under my tongue, in order to get
my breath back! Absolutely hysterical!
[/quote]

Magic is a funny dude.
[quote]
On 2009-03-12 23:00, Zaprig1 wrote:
The use of this gimmick is completely futile for the "Hovering" effect IF you would even do THAT effect as demonstrated! Personally I don't think I would without a stooge! This of course is MHO. Please take it as you will. I respect the hookup AND the use of IT much more than to risk this type of exposure, and I really hope that the magic community does as well! If you really need to float a ring into a spec's hands, I recommend a traditional reel, and Steve's old routine! Simple as that! You and the ring end completely clean!
[/quote]
If you watch the dvd you see the performances and yigal pulls this off with no stooges, the people their are very stunned, this effect is very magical. I think with this effect what makes the reel special is the instant clean up. But this routine for table hopping is impractical, no instant reset.
[quote]
On 2009-03-12 23:46, bryanlonden wrote:
Yeah I agree with Zaprig. I was "hovering" around the order button all day today, but I am seriously trying to figure out why I shouldn't just use the hookup we already know and perform this. Especially since I can get thread cheap, won't have to buy new spools, etc.

I initially just loved the ring effect, then of course became interested in the fact it was a really cool new reel, but the main thing is, I like the ring effect.

So am I missing something, or am I making sense? I don't want to pay $80 for something that will cost me pennies, and save even more of those pennies down the long run.

Any help is welcome!
Bryan
[/quote]
Save your money and give it a miss , use the hook up you already no!
[quote]
On 2009-03-13 16:17, king2262 wrote:
[/quote]

Yes, follow his advice or buy a really cool utility item.

The Tarantula is very clever and works great! I have only snapped a small piece of the thread once because I was trying to lift something that was too heavy, too fast. The only thing you really need to replace is the wax because it gets dirty, and that is after about two dozen hook ups for me. The battery is still going strong and I have retracted dollar bills, and business cards at least 100+ times from 3-5 feet away from the Tarantula. The Tarantula feels solid and I hardly remember it is on me. I might have to buy another before Yigal sells out!

Also, the replacement battery is really cheap and you can pick up replacement 25' spool for a great price (Spider Pen spools).If you have never bought a reel, I recommend this one because it is KISS design, there are no worries. If you have a bunch of ITR's I still recommend the Tarantula because it gives you more control of the thread than other ITRS out there. The Tarantula is similar but an improvement on John Kennedy's Stealth Retractor-but, I cannot say in what way for fear of exposure. It is very clever though and not a thumbtip. You WILL feel like Spider-man and you will be tempted to just play with it because the thread is very strong!

Best,

Doug L.
But how is it possible that the spectators in the demo doesn't see the IT when it's only a few inches away from their faces??
[quote]
On 2009-03-13 17:50, Steven70s wrote:
But how is it possible that the spectators in the demo doesn't see the IT when it's only a few inches away from their faces??
[/quote]

it is VERY Invisible. VERY! -Matt
[quote]
On 2009-03-13 17:54, MattSconce wrote:
[quote]
On 2009-03-13 17:50, Steven70s wrote:
[/quote]

it is VERY Invisible. VERY! -Matt
[/quote]

...plus: Yigal definately knows to pick his performing locations well. Note how well the buildings in the video influence the lighting conditions. ;)
Hmm.. I don't know.. I had the Hummingbird card and Yigal's loops before. I only had people trying to find the IT with their eyes, and eventually they did.
[quote]
On 2009-03-13 17:27, Doug Lippert wrote:
[quote]
On 2009-03-13 16:17, king2262 wrote:
[/quote]

Yes, follow his advice or buy a really cool utility item.

If you have a bunch of ITR's I still recommend the Tarantula because it gives you more control of the thread than other ITRS out there. You WILL feel like Spider-man and you will be tempted to just play with it because the thread is very strong!

Best,

Doug L.
[/quote]
Ive performed with IT/ITR's for some years now ,maybe I'm missing something but I don't see how the Tarantula can give you more control of the IT ?
If anything having the gimmick where it is restricts you a hell of a lot more !
[quote]
On 2009-03-13 18:14, Steven70s wrote:
Hmm.. I don't know.. I had the Hummingbird card and Yigal's loops before. I only had people trying to find the IT with their eyes, and eventually they did. [/quote]

@Steven: it's always about equilibrating the aspects of thread strength, object weight, light intensity,
light - spectator-angle, distance, presentation and lastly picking the right audiences. The latter two can both kill your effect or make it a killer ;] But the wrong type of audience will always see something, even if it really was invisible. If they really want to see it, they see it. That's where presentation comes in to make them want to see especially what _you_ want them to see.

After all, you're the only one who can find out what exactly went wrong at those specific presentations. Rethink the process and don't 'IT' give up. (hehe I feel rethorical today) :)
[quote]
On 2009-03-13 18:35, king2262 wrote:
maybe I'm missing something but I don't see how the Tarantula can give you more control of the IT ?If anything having the gimmick where it is restricts you a hell of a lot more!
[/quote]

Hey there,

The Tarantula is not "always on" for starters. This is a big deal in terms of reducing breakage and giving the performer total control of the reel movement's activation.

Second, the location of the Tarantula is like John Kennedy's Stealth Retractor but the Tarantula is very sneaky and camouflaged! No one will see anything if you perform it right, and not draw attention..

The Tarantula gives you freedom and control in your thread work my friend! When you are ready to perform you go in your pocket and be careful the Tarantula don't bite..
When you are done, you drop it in your pocket. There are no restrictions! It's all in your mind. Think of how the Tarantula gives you freedom.

Like Yigal says, "forget about it and focus on your magic".

Best,

Doug Lippert
[quote]
On 2009-03-13 18:39, Le0n wrote:
[quote]
Hmm.. I don't know.. I had the Hummingbird card and Yigal's loops before. I only had people trying to find the IT with their eyes, and eventually they did. [/quote]

@Steven: it's always about equilibrating the aspects of thread strength, object weight, light intensity,
light - spectator-angle, distance, presentation and lastly picking the right audiences. The latter two can both kill your effect or make it a killer ;] But the wrong type of audience will always see something, even if it really was invisible. If they really want to see it, they see it. That's where presentation comes in to make them want to see especially what _you_ want them to see.

After all, you're the only one who can find out what exactly went wrong at those specific presentations. Rethink the process and don't 'IT' give up. (hehe I feel rethorical today) :)
[/quote]

Hehe, thanks :D

Guess I'll take some more practise before picking this one up!
[quote]
The Tarantula gives you freedom and control in your thread work my friend!
[/quote]
For me freedom is a ITR concealed ,my hands can be shown front back spread ...nothing to see!

I use Spooked by Nicholas Einhorn, and was interested to see how it would perform with the Tarantula, using the gimmick where its concealed compared to a ITR restricted my freedom and I would then have to ditch it ...which is quite straight forward but something extra that was not needed before.

Ive used Fearsons hook up again for some time now and as straight forward as it is using the Tarantula I now had the gimmick concealed restricting my movements in fear of flashing .
The Hook up can be used with the Tarantula but is it really needed, does it add anything else.....no!

I don't want to come across as I'm just bashing this gimmick ,Yigel Mesaki is a great creator of magical props ..ET being one of my favourite effects .
I just personally feel that for a fraction of the price the two main effects can be performed with IT alone.
[quote]
On 2009-03-13 19:18, king2262 wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]
For me freedom is a ITR concealed ,my hands can be shown front back spread ...nothing to see!
[/quote]

The Tarantula IS concealed. Why would you show your hands open, front and back unless you perform for magicians? When you levitate something the focus is on that object and what is above it (spectators look for a string hanging above the floating object). No one is going to be burning your hands unless you don't "forget about it."

Name one ITR that lets you control the thread as uniquely as the Tarantula.

Best,

Doug L.
Who in the real world, except a magician, shows their hands front and back fingers spread?
James

[quote]
On 2009-03-13 19:18, king2262 wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

I use Spooked by Nicholas Einhorn, and was interested to see how it would perform with the Tarantula, using the gimmick where its concealed compared to a ITR restricted my freedom and I would then have to ditch it ...which is quite straight forward but something extra that was not needed before.

Ive used Fearsons hook up again for some time now and as straight forward as it is using the Tarantula I now had the gimmick concealed restricting my movements in fear of flashing .
The Hook up can be used with the Tarantula but is it really needed, does it add anything else.....no!

I don't want to come across as I'm just bashing this gimmick ,Yigel Mesaki is a great creator of magical props ..ET being one of my favourite effects .
I just personally feel that for a fraction of the price the two main effects can be performed with IT alone.
[/quote]
[quote]
On 2009-03-13 20:49, Xiqual wrote:
Who in the real world, except a magician, shows their hands front and back fingers spread?
James
[/quote]

Someone that just got arrested by the police, someone coming back from a prison visit or apparently, king2262. :rotf: I'm just kidding you.

Best,

Doug L.
This is the problem with the new street style "challenge" magic. Instead of using premise to suspend belief modern magicians try to rely on the gimmick and the "no skill needed" promises of the dealers.

All magic needs skill. Gimmicks need MORE skill than sleights, subtleties are the best for fooling people.

If people catch you out you need to practice more. Moves need to be second nature, that is a given. Even stating it is pedantic.

After the technical side is smooth you need to weave a premise with you words,actions and thoughts. Look at Yigal, his image is a suave cool guy that has a sardonic humor. He can pull it off because he is consistent. Clothes,grooming, speech, actions. All congruent with what he is trying to achieve. The subtext that magic IS possible.
James

[quote]
Hmm.. I don't know.. I had the Hummingbird card and Yigal's loops before. I only had people trying to find the IT with their eyes, and eventually they did.
[/quote]
[quote]
On 2009-03-13 22:40, Xiqual wrote:
This is the problem with the new street style "challenge" magic. Instead of using premise to suspend belief modern magicians try to rely on the gimmick and the "no skill needed" promises of the dealers.

All magic needs skill. Gimmicks need MORE skill than sleights, subtleties are the best for fooling people.

If people catch you out you need to practice more. Moves need to be second nature, that is a given. Even stating it is pedantic.

After the technical side is smooth you need to weave a premise with you words,actions and thoughts. Look at Yigal, his image is a suave cool guy that has a sardonic humor. He can pull it off because he is consistent. Clothes,grooming, speech, actions. All congruent with what he is trying to achieve. The subtext that magic IS possible.
James

[/quote]

Great post James...there's a lot of truth in that. Magic shouldn't be about tricking someone with some cool new trick you just bought...it should be practiced, perfected, and performed, as any art should be.
Great post James...there's a lot of truth in that. Magic shouldn't be about tricking someone with some cool new trick you just bought...it should be practiced, perfected, and performed, as any art should be.
[/quote]
Correct . Practice and perfect and then trick them.
[quote]
[/quote]

Then you were telegraphing it. If you preform like you are dangling something from a string, your audience will be looking for that specifically.

Also, if they are looking for it, STOP. The biggest mistake you can make is to try to keep the floating, or what ever you are using IT for, going, while "trying" to hide it more.

Get ride of it. Let the loop fall back to your hand, or wrist, let the reel retract the thread, break your free threat if you must.

If they are looking for thread, just don't give them the chance to find it.
As for the gimmick "at hand," from the sounds of it, it is a reel camouflaged in your hand. Interesting idea, and would be fun to play with. As mentioned, sounds like a great improvement over Kennedy's design.

However, I don't need to be dirty like that. I don't need to take something hidden out of sight, and try to hide it in sight.

However, the one thing that I have been interested in since I first saw this is the hook up to the ring. I have not seen a hook up that allows the ring to float flat like that. At least not one that isn't complicated and tied to the ring in three places, lol.

It also appears that Fearson's re-release includes a similar method of attaching the ring.

Is this way of using IT with a ring something new, or is it published elsewhere already?

From the looks of it, I think I'll be waiting for the Spider-pen 2/Pro, which looks to improve pretty much every "problem"/"inconvenience" of the first one, which I already love. Then incorporate the Fearson style hook up with the pen.

Speaking of the pen, this thread seems to have become focused on just the Tarantula. Where can we read more about the pen?
Glen,

Here's an old discussion about the Spider Pen Pro:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=207025&forum=218

There ya go

Nico
[quote]
On 2009-03-14 02:25, gdw wrote:
I don't need to take something hidden out of sight, and try to hide it in sight.

[/quote]
Is it worth it to get Tarantula or wait for the Spider Pen Two, since there isn't a released date?
[quote]
On 2009-03-13 22:40, Xiqual wrote:
James
[/quote]

Yes, as I stated earlier in this thread(pun)Someone new to IT should start with the basics, then move to reels. No skill needed is a selling tool, NOT truth. Challenge magic has been around for years. Street style magic performed from beginners wanting to be the next_______ you cannot be an instant magician. Anyone who knows their stuff, knows challenges are often met head on by a spectator. Thus, no one enjoys the art, just the puzzle!
[quote]

However, I don't need to be dirty like that. I don't need to take something hidden out of sight, and try to hide it in sight.

However, the one thing that I have been interested in since I first saw this is the hook up to the ring. I have not seen a hook up that allows the ring to float flat like that. At least not one that isn't complicated and tied to the ring in three places, lol.

It also appears that Fearson's re-release includes a similar method of attaching the ring.

Is this way of using IT with a ring something new, or is it published elsewhere already?

[/quote]

The hovering ring is yigals own unique effect plus the subtlety of showing no strings attached. The hookup is Fearsons so you don't need the tarantula to perform this
[quote]
[/quote]

You are NOT dirty. No one is looking for a gimmick in your hand. They would only look if you are "telegraphing" the moves, not practiced long enough or picked bad lighting and they can see the thread.

The Tarantula gives you so much freedom and CONTROL over any thread reel out there and to do this, Yigal brought the reel to your hand where you have immediate control over turning it on, how fast you want the thread to retract, etc. I'm very happy with it.

Best,

Doug L.
[quote]
On 2009-03-14 11:58, Doug Lippert wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

You are NOT dirty. No one is looking for a gimmick in your hand. They would only look if you are "telegraphing" the moves, not practiced long enough or picked bad lighting and they can see the thread.

The Tarantula gives you so much freedom and CONTROL over any thread reel out there and to do this, Yigal brought the reel to your hand where you have immediate control over turning it on, how fast you want the thread to retract, etc. I'm very happy with it.

Best,

Doug L.
[/quote]

Any time you are "holding out" you are, by definition, dirty. It doesn't matter how well hidden, or how little to no suspicion there is, you are still dirty.
[quote]
On 2009-03-14 14:21, gdw wrote:
Any time you are "holding out" you are, by definition, dirty. It doesn't matter how well hidden, or how little to no suspicion there is, you are still dirty.
[/quote]

Thank you for defining what it means to be dirty... :rolleyes:

With the Tarantula you can bring it out smoothly, finish your effect, and it goes right in your pocket, already reset.

The major selling point for this particular reel to me is I have more control of the thread than any other reel I have. The thread is slack until you make the Tarantula bite down on the thre*d. If you have something heavy the Tarantula will spit its web and let if fall gracefully. You **** off the Tarantula, it will suck the thre*d back in.

Best purchase this year. Even better than True Astonishments. I haven't actually used a thing from there. More of a collector's item to me, and I'm okay with that because I have #9 and autographed.

I can see myself always having the Tarantula on me along with a small box of Mesika Wax and a Spider Pen Spool.

Sincerely,

Doug Lippert
90% of the time in magic, you are "dirty". Getting clean or holding out is the fun of it all. If you are getting strip searched or seriously hassled by your spectators, get a more hard line boundary about being touched and pulled on. They will stop.
James

[quote]
[quote]
On 2009-03-14 11:58, Doug Lippert wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

Best,

Doug L.
[/quote]

[/quote]
[quote]
On 2009-03-14 15:07, Doug Lippert wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

Thank you for defining what it means to be dirty... :rolleyes:
. . .
Doug Lippert
[/quote]

By the eye roll smiley, I assume you are implying you knew what it means to be "dirty," and yet you claimed you were NOT dirty, while palming a gimmick during an effect, sorry for stating the obvious.

As for the additional control, I agree, this is a beautiful thing. However, for ME, personally, I do not feel it is an equal trade for having to be holding out.

One of the greatest things about thread work is there is nothing to hide, in the usual sense. As long as your conditions are taken care of, ie lighting, and background, then you have nothing to hide and can be so very open.

The Tarantula certainly affords some great control, and is beautifully hidden, but I don't feel the need for it in MY work.
[quote]
On 2009-03-14 21:11, Xiqual wrote:
90% of the time in magic, you are "dirty". Getting clean or holding out is the fun of it all. If you are getting strip searched or seriously hassled by your spectators, get a more hard line boundary about being touched and pulled on. They will stop.
James

[/quote]

Yes, sometimes, that can be "fun," but magic is not about being "chased" by your audience.

I do not have a problem with audience members groping at me.

I believe I summed it up perfectly saying that I don't need to take something hidden out of sight and hiding it in sight.

Though, yes, this can be "fun," it is not necessary. I don't need that trade off for the "additional" control. Of course the exact same control can be obtained using a "z" grip on the thread with one hand. Cleaning up then is as simple as relaxing your fingers. No need to ditch anything.

Sure, not as "fun," but a much cleaner effect.
"Any time you are "holding out" you are, by definition, dirty. It doesn't matter how well hidden, or how little to no suspicion there is, you are still dirty."

So, it's the same with only an IT...
[quote]
On 2009-03-15 15:05, nikola paris wrote:
"Any time you are "holding out" you are, by definition, dirty. It doesn't matter how well hidden, or how little to no suspicion there is, you are still dirty."

So, it's the same with only an IT...
[/quote]

No, it is not "the same." I never said you were "clean" with just IT, but you are a hell of a lot MORE clean.
Ok so back to the topic at hand is the hype worth it? We can argue about all the Tea in China all day but that's not the Title of the thread. Are we loving this or is it finding a nice little spot in your Drawer?
[quote]
On 2009-02-19 11:54, davidpeters wrote:
Hey there,
Let's see if I can answer some of these questions, without giving too much away of course or stepping on toes. I don't think there is any ad copy released yet. Yegal did a pre-release at the IBM/SAM convention this last year so I know he has shown it to several people already.
The Tarantula is similar to the working of the spider pen. So if you know what the spider pen does then you can figure this one out.
The Tarantula is designed not to tangle, and is easy to fix or replace the (I.T.) I don’t usually use this kind of gimmick so when playing with it I broke the I.T a couple times. I was able to fix it real quick and easy. There are replaceable parts and they are all easy to get to.
There is no need to have a pen sticking out of your pocket.
The gimmick is virtually invisible.
From what I was told at the IBM/SAM convention these sold out real fast. I am sure it will do the same at Blackpool, I will try and get Blackpool updates for you.
As soon as I get official ad copy I will post it.

I am pretty sure that if you use items such as the Spider pen or ITR then you will love the tarantula.
Hope this helps?
[/quote]

My spider pen was a nightmare. I hope this is a vast improvement. Especially for a fellow with poor vision, if you know what I am saying.
Actually, that makes no sense at all.
James

[quote]

I believe I summed it up perfectly saying that I don't need to take something hidden out of sight and hiding it in sight.

[/quote]
[quote]
On 2009-03-15 18:30, paisa23 wrote:
..We can argue about all the Tea in China all day but that's not the Title of the thread.
[/quote]

If you're going to expose methods, please go to the Secret Sessions area.
[quote]
On 2009-03-16 00:36, Xiqual wrote:
Actually, that makes no sense at all.
James

[quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

I don't see how not. It is pretty clear. I don't feel the need to take a gimmick which is hidden completely out of sight of the audience, and then remove it from said hiding place, and conceal it in my hand instead, where it is camouflaged, thus being hidden "in sight," which is far less effective than it's original hiding place.

It is similar to the difference between vanishing a silk with a pull, vs in a thumb tip.

There are advantages to both, however, you cannot argue that you are not far more clean after the vanish with the pull. There is nothing to be seen/found.

Yes, the TT is highly unlikely to be seen, and also allows for a very seemingly clean vanish, along with its own advantages, but your hands are simply not as clean as after the pull vanish.
I have a Tarantula and many thread reels. I like my Tarantula much better.
You don't want to buy a Tarantula? Great, don't buy one. I like it, you don't want to try it. No problem.

Your arguments about the pull and the TT need to address that a pull needs a jacket, a TT doesn't.

The Tarantula is in my pocket, it comes out when I want to perform and then goes back afterwards. Other reels need to be clipped on or pinned to clothing. To much trouble.

Tarantula has no tension on the thread so I can do animations. I actually rarely float things. I played with Hovering a few times and feel I like just moving things much better.

Anyway if you are happy with your setup, no need to change. Why fix it if it ain't broke, right?
James

[quote]

I don't see how not. It is pretty clear. I don't feel the need to take a gimmick which is hidden completely out of sight of the audience, and then remove it from said hiding place, and conceal it in my hand instead, where it is camouflaged, thus being hidden "in sight," which is far less effective than it's original hiding place.

It is similar to the difference between vanishing a silk with a pull, vs in a thumb tip.

There are advantages to both, however, you cannot argue that you are not far more clean after the vanish with the pull. There is nothing to be seen/found.

Yes, the TT is highly unlikely to be seen, and also allows for a very seemingly clean vanish, along with its own advantages, but your hands are simply not as clean as after the pull vanish.
[/quote]
I saw this on E.- product page
Did anyone receive a defective piece ?

[b][i]
DUE TO COMPLICATIONS WITH THE TARANTULA GIMMICK BEYOND OUR CONTROL
The sale of Tarantula is being halted indefinitely. All unworkable gimmicks will be replaced when returned to Ellusionist (please contact customer service for an RMA #).
Our apologies for delays caused. This is an unforeseen error on the manufacturers part. When the quality of Tarantula is no longer in question, we will reopen the product for sale on this page.
[/b][/i]
Mine is perfect! I've been using it non-stop for the past week.
James
[quote]
On 2009-03-15 14:38, gdw wrote:
Of course the exact same control can be obtained using a "z" grip on the thread with one hand. Cleaning up then is as simple as relaxing your fingers. No need to ditch anything.
[/quote]

No, I have used the "z" grip before (whirling card) and you do NOT get the same control as you would if you used the Tarantula. It's cool that you disagree. We're all different after all. :)

But, do you even own the apparatus? If not, try it out. You might like it.

Sincerely,

D.L.
I've been playing with the Tarantula for a few days now. Nothing too complicated - just levitating a note - and I find it can be a bit tricky sometimes to control the operation in the way that Yigal describes on the DVD. I've tried a small mod as well to personalise it a bit better for me, again as shown on the DVD, but I am still finding that it doesn't always perform quite what is needed. With the thing the correct way up according to the DVD, there seems to be too much pressure on the business end that causes the operation to slow, if not grind to a halt completely!

The only solution I have found to prevent this problem so far is to turn the Tarantula upside down and then I seem to have much better control when I need it. Has anyone else experienced this?

I am really wanting to like this because it is a neat idea but it needs to be practical if I am going to persist with it.
I have the Tarantula. It is a very good device. But to perform the ring effect, what does it bring more in comparaison with the fixed Fearsons hookup? AFTER the act, you can retreive the IT with the Tarantula. But for me, it is more important to be at ease BEFORE the act. How do you take care of the IT if you should do other magic BEFORE the ring effect?
Attention!! I recommend to everyone who buys the Tarantula PLEASE watch the DVD first before playing around with the gimmick!!! The gimmick is not a toy. Get to know the gimmick before practicing/performing with it.

Andy Amyx
Always make sure the thread runs down into the groove. If it is outside the groove it can get pinched and will run slow with a bill or napkin.

Also when you replace the cap, the spool must be seated properly or the motor will not run. I am sure this is a safety factor.
James
[quote]
On 2009-03-16 05:05, Xiqual wrote:
. . .
[b]
Anyway if you are happy with your setup, no need to change. Why fix it if it ain't broke, right?
James [/b]

[quote]

EXACTLY

That's all I was saying. I am happy with what I use. Sure, this is nice to play with, for me, and for others it may be something fun to use in actual work.
[quote]
On 2009-03-16 17:50, Amyxdove wrote:
Attention!! I recommend to everyone who buys the Tarantula PLEASE watch the DVD first before playing around with the gimmick!!! The gimmick is not a toy. Get to know the gimmick before practicing/performing with it.

Andy Amyx
[/quote]

Exactly. Im not a kid or beginner in IT, but still, first thing that happened to me with the Tarantula was I broke the IT, haha. darned curiosity :P Yet it's a beautiful thing of technology so there is far more to break than just an IT. So yeah, if you read this in time: try not to be to curious at first. The DVD gets to the point of the tarantula itself pretty quick, so don't worry. ;)

-------------------------------

Another thing I'd like to bring up:

Here's a tip
for all perfectionists who purchased the Tarantula and possibly found a spot on it where the sheen is slightly faded, so it looks kinda white there. This was something I found with my Tarantula and I was instantly worried about the camouflaging of the gimmick. Now don't, I repeat, DON'T ever start to peel on it. That would just make that spot grow. Just take a lighter and heat the spot, just slightly, very carefully, by waving the flame on it compendiously. Be very careful here, as heating the matter can damage it irrecoverably, just as it can happen by cutting it for better fitting. Speaking of cutting it: If you're cutting the sw***h into the right length (which you only do if you choose to adjust the whole tarantula) you might occur a similar problem: The breaking point might turn white due to the hard matter of this part. Now again, that's nothing really to worry about, but if you are a perfectionist you just might do the same here: wave the breaking point just slightly, compendiously near the flame (please again even more caution here, the hard matter is even likelier to melt). If everything is done right, this will cause the white breaking point to fade to it's original color while everything stays in shape.

I hope this will help somebody :)
Could someone tell me or PM me please do you just buy the Spider thread spool for replacement of the Tarantula spool?

Thanks
Yes, the Tarantula uses the same spool as the Spider Pen, but buy the Tarantula refill because it's $11.95 (Tarantula refill) instead of $15.95 (Spider Pen refill pack, which contains a spool and some batteries, but the batteries are not the same for both devices).
Thanks Patrick,

But where can I get the Tarantula refill from? I go to themagicwarehouse and they have spider spool on their own for $9, $6 for 6 batteries which like you said not the same.

Thanks

Bob
Bob,
You can just strip your own IT and then wind it onto the Tarantula.
you don't need to buy an extra spool.
James
James,

What IT are you winding onto the Tarantula? Kevlar, Wooly Nylon?
Whatever IT you like. 6 dollars is much cheaper than what the actual Tarantula refill costs. It costs $11.95. The cheapest solution is probably to buy your own IT and respool it yourself.
I hate Kevlar thread. Too thick.
I just use whatever is around. I only had to wind it once so far. I accidentaly left my Tarantula in my pocket and put my shirt in the dryer.
James
BTW
Don't do that.

[quote]
On 2009-03-31 18:03, pwolverine wrote:
James,

What IT are you winding onto the Tarantula? Kevlar, Wooly Nylon?
[/quote]
Here's a real secret..

The Dollar Store is the best source for Tarantula batteries. 8 of them for $1.
They're manufactured by Sunbeam and work great!

Best,

Doug Lippert
I have always found that with the cheaper stores that sell batteries they aren't always fully charged and are from places like China. They seem to be reject ones that never seem to last as long. I've always gone for decent brand batteries from reliable places. This is the case in Australia anyways :)
Doug: HOLY SH17! 8 for $1??!! I'll have to check them out and see if they last long enough to be a better bargain than the far more expensive ones. Thanks for the info!
[quote]
On 2009-04-02 01:20, PatrickGregoire wrote:
Doug: HOLY SH17! 8 for $1??!! I'll have to check them out and see if they last long enough to be a better bargain than the far more expensive ones. Thanks for the info!
[/quote]

No problem. Glad you liked the tip! :)

I have had no problems with the cheap-o batteries. They work just as well as the more expensive "watch" batteries you buy at Wal-Mart.

Doug
[quote]
On 2009-04-01 17:19, Doug Lippert wrote:
Here's a real secret..

Best,

Doug Lippert
[/quote]

What are they called? What size? Surely they are not sold in the dollar store as "Tarantula Batteries"...lol

Arthur
[quote]
On 2009-04-02 11:06, Martello wrote:
[quote]
On 2009-04-01 17:19, Doug Lippert wrote:
Here's a real secret..

Best,

Doug Lippert
[/quote]

What are they called? What size? Surely they are not sold in the dollar store as "Tarantula Batteries"...lol

Arthur
[/quote]

Haha, no. Thankfully they are not advertised as "Tarantula batteries for your magic gimmick." :)

Like I said, they are made by Sunbeam and they are AG10(LR1130) 1.5 v alkaline batteries. They last a long time and you get a package of 8 of them for $1. I found them with all the other batteries like AA, AAA, etc.

Please tell me if you had any luck! :P

Best,

Doug
Are these the right kind?
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2980
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15179

If so they're they're probably a good alternative to those who can't find them in dollar stores, especially since they have free world wide shipping.
Hey Doug

Thanks for the tip! I will check them out.

Arthur
[quote]
On 2009-04-03 00:39, Kune wrote:
Are these the right kind?
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2980
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15179

If so they're they're probably a good alternative to those who can't find them in dollar stores, especially since they have free world wide shipping.
[/quote]

You're right! They should be a great alternative to the Dollar Store deal, if one isn't in your town.

Thanks for sharing.

[quote]
On 2009-04-03 14:39, Martello wrote:
Hey Doug

Thanks for the tip! I will check them out.

Arthur
[/quote]

Hey Arthur,

Hopefully you will be able find them! Tell me if you do.

Doug
Ring Recommendation?

The only ring band I have seems to be too light. I can't get a good spin on it.

I guess I will have to go to a pawn shop.

If anyone has ordered a cheap ring online that is not too heavy but still has enough mass to keep up a good spin please let me know!
Also...

Does anyone know what the mfg issue is with the tran? I bought mine from EIllusioniist.com

So far it seems to be working ok.

I used up my thread while practicing with various rings (all of mine too small, see above post) and I can't use it again until my refils arrive.

Make your own refill by stripping some IT.
Ughhh... Well my Tarantula just broke :(
I had it for all of two weeks. A part of it snapped off :( ughhh
Thanks for all of the great posts on the Tarantula. I almost ordered one at least three times now, but the same haunting feeling keeps coming up. It seems to be echoed here as well...parts breaking, inferior units having to be returned, being very careful when adjusting certain parts, etc.

I gave up on my spider pen due to similar issues. I guess the big question is what makes the Tarantula superior to my trusty old standard ITR? The only real answer posted that I have seen is "greater control"???

Thanks!
Barnstormer,

Go to a Queosq (sp?) in the mall. I got a plain rounded edge wedding band (real sterling) for $20. He wanted $30.....those guys deal. I actually where it all the time on my third finger now and like it. Nor do I use Tarantula to do the HR personally.

Plain bands with a bit of weight spin forEVER! Mine is a size 13 though.

Good luck
Well it has been a while since I had bought something that made me feel like I was doing real magic. The spinning ring looks fantastic. I spent most of yesterday floating things and messing around with my new toy. The only trouble was the battery on my unit was dead. Luckily I had a watch battery I bought a while ago and it worked.

Eye candy for sure.

Michael
[quote]
On 2009-04-10 02:11, Zaprig1 wrote:
Barnstormer,

Go to a Queosq (sp?) in the mall. I got a plain rounded edge wedding band (real sterling) for $20. He wanted $30.....those guys deal. I actually where it all the time on my third finger now and like it. Nor do I use Tarantula to do the HR personally.

Plain bands with a bit of weight spin forEVER! Mine is a size 13 though.

Good luck
[/quote]

Thanks! We don't have one of those stores in Cincinnati (at least that I can find) but a size 13 M sterling should help me a great deal. Thanks!

also, thanks for the tip of the refil but I am going to stick with the stock refils for now so if something goes wrong I know if it is me or the device.

I just got a Tarantula and thought I'd post my thoughts on it really quickly.

The placement on where you hold it is unique from reels I've had in the past. There are tricks I can see where this is nice, specifically with the dollar floating up to your hand and the haunted pack style trick.

Overall I wouldn't recommend the Tarantula though. I think you are far better off with the more traditional reels. I don't like the way the ring trick works and was disappointed with the hook-up and how you end the trick. It is not very clean at all.

I would say the other ring hook-up is much cleaner and you can land the ring on the spectators hand without touching it afterward and you are completely clean. You also don't have to break anything afterward, which he recommends with his hook-up.

If you do any repeat performance type magic like table hopping then this would definitely be out for you as the setup time would be unreasonable. My favorite reel to date is still the Mark Allen Thread Manager. You can get it here:

http://magic4less.com/Merchant5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=M4L&Product_Code=TMGENERATIONII&Category_Code=

The thread on that one is the best balance of invisible and strongest I've had. Plus the tension is just right and works over and over again. If you do the right hook-ups with it you can do some killer effects and end completely clean. Plus the thing is far cheaper.

That's just my two cents.
I thinking of buying one and decided not to...

I heard today that if you have a problem with the Tarantula you can no longer return it to where you bought it. Yigal will not let the dealer or Murphy's handle warranty and return issues.

So if you bought one from a store and have a problem or its dead out of the box, be prepared to now deal with a third party for repair and replacement.

I guess this will take any responsibility off of the retailer, but I would still rather deal with were I bought it than have to deal with a third party.

any thoughts ?
Save yourself a ton of headaches and money this is a very good system and it can do everything the Tarantula can do AND it wont break or run out of juice every time you need it. - http://www.emagicsupply.com/master-levitation-system-p-43.html

[quote]
On 2009-04-21 20:24, JollyMon wrote:
I thinking of buying one and decided not to...

I heard today that if you have a problem with the Tarantula you can no longer return it to where you bought it. Yigal will not let the dealer or Murphy's handle warranty and return issues.

So if you bought one from a store and have a problem or its dead out of the box, be prepared to now deal with a third party for repair and replacement.

I guess this will take any responsibility off of the retailer, but I would still rather deal with were I bought it than have to deal with a third party.

any thoughts ?
[/quote]
Got the Tarantula yesterday and managed to break the tiny, plastic tab on the switch. I emailed Yigal Misika about a replacement part and have not heard back yet. Anyone seen a place to order parts for it? (The switch got broke from prestidigi-stupidity on my part not because it was made wrong.)
Guys, I was reading a lot and searching a lot. I am tempted to get a tarantula, but I own already thr spider pen. Unfortunately I could not find a thread discussing/comparing these two devices with each other. So can you tell me everything where they differ? advantages, disadvantages,etc. Which device is better? Or should I not get a tarantula at all if I have a spider pen already?

Thanks alot

Markus
I do not own the Spider Pen, but from what I gather the Spider Pen is a thread reel and the Tarantula is a motorized thread dispenser, meaning it can spit out and retract thread. Spider Pen is used for suspensions and Tarantula is used for animations. It can also be used to float objects such as in the ring floating effect in the trailer.

Bottom line: Tarantula pulls things in, Spider Pen keeps things stationary in mid-air.
[quote]
On 2009-05-31 00:51, PatrickGregoire wrote:
I do not own the Spider Pen, but from what I gather the Spider Pen is a thread reel and the Tarantula is a motorized thread dispenser, meaning it can spit out and retract thread. Spider Pen is used for suspensions and Tarantula is used for animations. It can also be used to float objects such as in the ring floating effect in the trailer.

Bottom line: Tarantula pulls things in, Spider Pen keeps things stationary in mid-air.
[/quote]

Thank you very much for this information.

Any other people here who'd like to give me some information on this?

Thanks in advance,

Markus
Hm where are all the guys who own this already? Or wrong thread?
I got my Tarantula a few weeks ago but I am out of thread and waiting for delivery. The thing still works, but there is a little crack in the middle on the side, I hope it does not tear any further.
I have difficulties hovering a ring. I was hoping Mesika would show how to attach the ring to the thread, but the DVD does not make anyone any wiser on this. Anybody out there has any tips on how to do this and how to practice ?
Many thanks.
Get Steve Fearson's MLS DVD. He goes into detail.
Sorry for answering in this thread, but did anybody get the new Alpha ITR Reel from Sorcery?
Is there really any difference with the usual ITR's?
Here is the link to this item:
http://itrmagictricks.com/p8076/Alpha_Reel_-_Kevlar_Boss_-_Quick_Reset_Patented_Design./product_info.html
[quote]
On 2009-04-21 17:55, cavenger wrote:My favorite reel to date is still the Mark Allen Thread Manager. You can get it here:

http://magic4less.com/Merchant5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=M4L&Product_Code=TMGENERATIONII&Category_Code=

The thread on that one is the best balance of invisible and strongest I've had. Plus the tension is just right and works over and over again. If you do the right hook-ups with it you can do some killer effects and end completely clean. Plus the thing is far cheaper.

That's just my two cents.
[/quote]

I agree 100%. The TM2 can be hard to find and usually has to be back ordered directly from Mark. It's beyond worth the wait. This is the best reel in my book. Cheaper than sorcery, better thread, perfect tension every time, easy to retrieve the thread after breakage (I HATE those little beads!), and a HUGE retraction distance. I can't believe these aren't the industry standard. Gizmos are neat, but the novelty can wear off. Mark Allen's TM2 is a WORKER!
[quote]
On 2009-06-20 07:15, Siddharta wrote:
I got my Tarantula a few weeks ago but I am out of thread and waiting for delivery. The thing still works, but there is a little crack in the middle on the side, I hope it does not tear any further.
I have difficulties hovering a ring. I was hoping Mesika would show how to attach the ring to the thread, but the DVD does not make anyone any wiser on this. Anybody out there has any tips on how to do this and how to practice ?
Many thanks.
[/quote]

Attaching the thread to the ring is explained on the DVD, that's how I learned to do it. Also, you say your Tarantula is out of thread? How is it out of thread?

Mike

BTW, the tip on the dollar store batteries is great, picked up 2 packs of them :)
[quote]
On 2009-06-23 14:45, Michael Peterson wrote:
[quote]
On 2009-06-20 07:15, Siddharta wrote:
Many thanks.
[/quote]

Attaching the thread to the ring is explained on the DVD, that's how I learned to do it. Also, you say your Tarantula is out of thread? How is it out of thread?

Mike

BTW, the tip on the dollar store batteries is great, picked up 2 packs of them :)
[/quote]

Thinking things over a bit, I guess that if the thread kept breaking, you would run out of thread. I'm watching the DVD right now, it shows how to attach the ring & do the routine. My question is, what DVD are you watching?

I have had 0 problems with mine & I just got done setting the Tarantula for hovering(I have been doing it with the regular Fearson hook up). The fact that I was able to take it apart & get it back together as explained should be a testament to how well made this thing is. Usually when I take something apart, that's the end of it for me.

I'm really enjoying this little thing :)

Mike
Message: Posted by: Xtreme Manipulator (Jun 24, 2009 02:21AM)
It's worth the money and then some. Buy it.
If you are a novice to thread work don't buy this. Get leclair's book and msl.
If you have the tarantula. MSl from Fearson is a must have. If you have not purchased a tarantula, get Msl first. If you don't like the setting up and wish for a faster Fearson hook up. Then get a tarantula.
Yigal's dvd that comes with the tarantula is very good, but if more detail was explained about the customization and the fine points of holding the tarantula correctly where explained a bit better most of the complaints we are seeing could be avoided. There is play in the switch(This play is there to prevent the switch from breaking), if not held correctly you will hear a click when pressed, this click is almost indistinguishable from the click you may here when it is in the correct position. This is not a motor failure or problem with parts. You need to make sure the tarantula is in the correct position. If you are having a problem pm. I have had no problems with mine when held correctly. In my opinion this is a well made device and very clever. Replacing the spool is very easy. I have had mine for a few weeks now and I am still on my first spool. I practice with this everyday. for experience I.T workers, I.T breaking should not be an issue.
I love this :) it is great! Only problem is, my gimmick has broken and I cant fix it, is there anything you can do about this or are you just stuck and you have to buy another one, thanks