(Close Window)
Topic: SHOE'T by Mark Southworth and Mark Mason
[b]What The Audience Sees:[/b]

[i]"Jamie walked in on Friday holding a pack of playing cards so we knew it was going to be good. Big Ted loves card tricks (as we all do) and he was almost crying in anticipation. Jamie asked Big Ted to select any card he liked and to write his name across the face. Good thing Jamie asked him to write his name. Anything else and we would have been scr*#^%d. So Big Ted does, and Jamie returned it back to the deck (the card, not Big Ted, ha ha). Nothing crazy. But then Jamie hands the deck to me and asks me to find the card. I can even do it face up! Well you wonít believe this but the card wasnít in the deck anymore! I swear! And Jamie says,[/i] ďOf course itís not. Itís in my shoe.Ē[i] BOOM! Big Ted faints! Jamie hasnít even proved it yet and Big Ted drops like a #^^^%$&. Anyways, Jamie takes off his shoe and, sure enough, thereís a card inside. He shows the shoe all around and then slowly pulls the card out. AND IT WAS BIG TEDíS CARD! Too bad he didnít see it! It was amazing!Ē[/i]

[b]How It Went:[/b]

One of the first card tricks I ever learned back in elementary school was the selection of a card, and the subsequent discovery of it in the card box. It basically consisted of a little kid making you do an extremely complicated series of tasks to select a card and then you returning it to the pack (the card, not the kid). The little kid would then search for about five minutes because half the time he couldnít remember the card you were supposed to have selected. He would the pull out three random cards and lay them face down on the table and tell you that one of cards was yours. While you were looking at those, the little kid would pick out your real card and put it into the card box. No palming, no machine made hold outs. He would just grab it and stuff it in there. And it would kill you, lol. You would be shocked. Every time!

I still do that trick. Shoeít is basically the same thing. A card is discovered somewhere crazy. But unlike the card box, everyone knows how even more impossible (can we have different levels of impossible, lol?) it would be to get a card into your shoe without anyone seeing. I mean, it pretty much is impossible. And it destroyed people all day. The fact tat you can slip off your shoe and show it, while itís still on ground, is absolute craziness as well. Seriously. And the great thing is, is that no one wants to grab it out for you, lol. We all know how specs can sometimeís be super grabby. Not a single person reached for the shoe, obviously. And it was a clean shoe and sock (thatís an early JDG Tip for you, by the way, lol). Thereís just something about the shoe.

[b]Best Lines:[/b]

[b][i]Letís see your other one!!!![/b][/i]
-I guess they wanted to see what would show up in my other shoe, lol.

[b][i]No way thatís my card...ACK!!!!!![/b][/i]
-It was.

[b]Angry Bob Rating:[/b]

For those of you reading this article for the first time, Angry Bob is a co-worker who has an understanding of some magic because his uncle was a magician. Angry Bob knows that TTís exist, for example, but he has no desire to become a magician himself. He also has an anger management problem that can be experienced first hand if he canít figure out how a trick is done. A high rating means he has no idea.

[b][i]ĒDo I look %^#^^ stupid to you??!...Donít answer that!!! Thatís just some other card you put in there before!! ...Wha?!? Itís signed!?!! Go f^$& yourself Grant![/i][/b]

[b]5/5.[/b]

[b]My Rating:[/b]

You know this is going to be pretty high. I would even say [b]9/10[/b] simply because it costs you nothing. Iím not talking about price of the effect but rather set up, pocket management, etc. Here we have a trick where we can walk out the door and never have to worry about setting it up. As long as you have a deck of cards, youíre ready to go. Thatís worth a lot to me. And, as a testament to the fact, I have Shoeít on me right now. Now, is pulling as card out of your shoe always appropriate? Not always, but then just donít do it at those times. That doesnít mean you canít be ready to rock it out when it is time, though. And thereís always a time, lol.

[b]The JDG Tip:[/b]

[url=http://magicfriday.blogspot.com/2009/01/shoet-by-mark-southworth-and-mark-mason.html]Read it here![/url]

[b]Closing Thoughts:[/b]

It was w really good day and Iím happy about this effect. It brought me back to those first days of stuffing a card in the box but with much more stringent conditions. And any day I can blast Angry Bob is a good day, lol.

[b]Have a great week everyone![/b]

jamie d. grant
http://www.whatizit.net

[i]This Magic Friday, in particular, (as was last weekís) was kindly sponsored by[url=http://www.murphysmagic.com] Murphyís Magic[/url]. note- sponsorship in no way affects reviews.[/i]