(Close Window)
Topic: Fortune Sticks
With the upcoming release of Tenyo Elite Fortune Sticks, I figured I'd let you guys know that for quite a while now I've taken the fortune telling aspect of the Fortune Sticks to another level. I perform it at parties, gatherings and for groups. People love it.

Sure, the version I use is the regular Tenyo plastic ones ... but they work! It's what you do with those plastic sticks that make all the difference.

I wrote all the stuff out and I'll consider putting it in eBook form for those who have these or purchase the Elite version. Maybe even let the eBook be uploaded on the Elite page with some kind of password so people can download it. Who knows ... but it's cool and I figured I'd share it.

Not that it will make a huge difference for me since I already make the plastic Fortune Sticks work well for me, but the Elite version will take it all further up a notch.

Cool beans. Looking forward to getting a coulpe of sets.
Looking forward to these as well. I've pretty much worn out 2 sets of the plastic ones at this point, meaning the paint has rubbed off on some of the designs.

Would love to see your ideas.
Message: Posted by: Philemon Vanderbeck (Jan 29, 2009 12:57PM)
I totally missed getting a set of the original plastic ones, but I'm looking forward to the Elite version.

Like Alexandre, I can totally see incorporating these into quick entertainment readings.

I would prefer wood over metal, however.
Philemon, in the instructions they do briefly cover a short one line fortune for you to read incorporating the reveal.

I've taken it to the next couple of levels as you can imagine. I'm sure you could also work wonders with these sticks, you should get a set.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe you can still get the plastic ones, and though I would also like to see wood over metal, I'll take metal over plastic.
Yes the plastic sets are still available.However,I am hesitant in purchasing due to complaints about the symbols fading away.Alexendre,have you experienced this?You seem to use these often...so you should know.

I agree that for most of these products being added to the Tenyo Elite line..Wood rather than Metal would be my choice also.Wood is warm and organic.Metal is cold and of course inorganic.

Rich
Message: Posted by: Philemon Vanderbeck (Jan 29, 2009 11:10PM)
It looks like there some sets available on Ebay. I'll have to pick up a set and play with them.
The symbols on my plastic tenyo sticks also faded away after a few months. I hope this is not the case with the metal version.
[quote]
On 2009-01-30 21:56, todsky wrote:
The symbols on my plastic tenyo sticks also faded away after a few months. I hope this is not the case with the metal version.
[/quote]

If they're laser engraved as the write-up suggests, they should last forever.
[quote]
On 2009-01-29 13:57, Philemon Vanderbeck wrote:
I would prefer wood over metal, however.
[/quote]

I also like the idea of wood, but it appears to me that you would still need the plastic end caps in order to perform the effect. I think the plastic caps would look funny and odd with the wood sticks. They make sense on metal as a means of capping what is usually hollow aluminum and sharp edges. The laser etched characters will prevent fading. Overall this is a fantastic effect and I'm looking forward to the elite version.
Tdowell, is correct, the ends must be gimmicked. However we did originally play with the idea of using wood. Infact we were planning on using different colored woodes, such as a nice red wood, an obscure blue wood from across the globe etc., but found that the trick actually requires the spectators to abuse the sticks somewhat in the handling, and eventually the wooden sticks would wear very quickly, and not only did we want the Elite versions to be collectable but also be performable, durable and affordable.

Also the laser etching of the symbols will eliminate any possibility of the symbols from fading or wearing away. These will last you forever. Also the picture of our Elite edtion does not do them justice, with the look and feel of the metal ones we have created allows you to use these in a much more professional application, and can lead to much more believable story lines in regards to origin of the sticks during performance.

Plastic doesn't really allow you to stretch the story line too much, instead the Elite edition could have been aquired from a psychic testing facility, or perhaps was uses in the military during wwII, maybe they were used in some sort of weird alien experiment, or found in a museum, or forged from metal by a black smith etc etc. These are not polished, they have a gleaming yet rough and rustic look to them in person that will allow your imagination to grow when scripting a routine with the props. Again if anyone is attending the World Magic Seminar in March we urge to stop by our booth and check out the peices for yourself. Again we have our reasons for why these particular first four tricks were made of metal, but we have every intention on releasing other items in the future that will be made of wood, or brass etc.

Peter.
You could just used waxed and unwaxed ends. Shiny and not shiny, or even use burn marks from a belt sander. Think about mahogany wood with brass inlays!!!
I'm dreaming now, never happen.
James

[quote]
On 2009-02-01 10:32, tdowell wrote:

I also like the idea of wood, but it appears to me that you would still need the plastic end caps in order to perform the effect. I think the plastic caps would look funny and odd with the wood sticks. They make sense on metal as a means of capping what is usually hollow aluminum and sharp edges. The laser etched characters will prevent fading. Overall this is a fantastic effect and I'm looking forward to the elite version.
[/quote]
As an owner of the [url=http://www.tenyoelite.com]Tenyo Elite Fortune Sticks[/url] I have to say I am very happy with this prop. Here's my review:

[b]Instruction Booklet[/b]

The booklet is very well made, it's not a piece of folded paper, it is a nice little book printed on high quality glossy paper. The photos and instructions are clear. You receive excellent patter ideas that can turn this trick into a serious and respectable mentalism routine.

[b]Case[/b]

The case is either made of leather or vinyl, I don't know, either way the case adds a touch of class and professionalism to the performance. Instead of taking the sticks out of your pocket you take out this classy looking case and slowly reveal each stick. When the trick is over you put the sticks back in the case and it looks nice and lends a sense of sophistication to your presentation.

[b]Construction[/b]

The colorful anodized aluminum is perfect for this prop, the sticks have a great weight to them and they are durable. The original plastic version looks like a toy, the [url=http://www.tenyoelite.com]Tenyo Elite[/url] version looks like something serious and substantial. The metal sticks are much more durable than wood - I'm glad they are [i]not[/i] made of wood.

The laser etching is fantastic because the the icons will never rub off. I doubt wood could have been etched this finely. Part of the presentation requires the spectator to rub the sticks together, some people will rub softly and some harshly, some will even accidently drop the sticks, whatever happens the durable construction will insure that the sticks will remain in good condition.

[b]Cost[/b]

My theory is that there are many factors that contribute to the high cost of this item:
[list]
[*] The cost of raw materials.
[*] These props are made in North America.
[*] Small quality of props produced
[*] Precision of etching and overall machining
[/list]

[b]Problems?[/b]

Any time you turn your back to the spectator you run the risk of things going wrong. Any time you give props to the spectator you risk the spectator not operating them correctly. The first three times I performed this trick the spectator did not understand my instructions, it was a learning experience. Eventually I found this video of the Fortune Sticks being performed:
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOFnlzrafNA]Click Here![/url]
This video is great...notice the magician's hand gestures.

[b]Negatives[/b]

The only negative attribute about the [url=http://www.tenyoelite.com]Tenyo Elite Fortune Sticks[/url] is that the yellow stick is light in color and some spectators may not be able to see the white icons against the pale yellow color.

[b]Overall assessment[/b]

The [url=http://www.tenyoelite.com]Elite[/url] version is worth the money, you will receive durable props that will last a lifetime. Unlike many mentalism effects this effect can be repeated several times with different outcomes. It's not a coin trick, it's not a card trick, and it's not a sucker effect. The quality of these props and the suggested patter will give you several minutes of quality mentalism.
That was a very good review.

Robert
I say less instruction is better with this trick. I've tried it without having them rub the sticks together and it works fine. Even if they're suspicious there is a pattern with the colors they'll spend forever trying to find one.
The case is vinyl, no question about it.
This thread is almost one year old, time to resurrect it! I've been using the Tenyo Elite Fortune Sticks for quite a while now, and these things ROCK. I was hesitant to fork out the $100 at first, but this has been a solid investment. This is an easy mind blowing effect - I've never had anyone come close to figuring it out. Can't say enough good things about this prop.

Jim
Low lighting made it difficult to get the info with the original Tenyo Sticks. I assume this issue remains the same for the Elite version?
Yep, good lighting is a must.

Jim
Hi Todsky:

To be honest with you, in the instances where low lighting might present an issue while doing our Elite edition of "Fortune Sticks", I simply angle or slightly "rotate" the sticks back and forth so that the symbols will catch the light----if you catch my drift. lol

I suppose it would be the same if you were doing a trick with a coin or something small that you wanted them to see, and there was low light......I know that I just simply rotate the object slightly back and forth so that it can be seen a little better, and sort of cause the ambient light in the room to "hit" and/or reflect off of the object so it can be viewed. This is sort of tough to describe; I hope that I explained myself properly.

Please let us know if you have any other questions. Thank you for your time.

Best regards,

Jason Palter
Paltergeist Unlimited / Tenyo Elite
(416) 410-5766
I'm tempted. Waiting for a sale.
Good luck with that. I waited for a long time, and finally gave up and spent the $100. I have no regrets - this past Saturday I spent a couple of hours at a winery - I must have done the Fortune Sticks 15 or more times, and it floored everybody who saw it. What a great effect! To me it's been worth every penny.

Jim
It's conceivable that you might get lucky in finding a used set for sale. When I was looking for a used set of the Bigger Wands by Creative Magic, I thought I'd never find them, but I did in a month's or so's time.

With that said, I really have never regretted my purchase of the Elite Fortune Sticks. I used the plastic versions frequently, and knew I would use the Elite edition and save the wear and tear my plastic sticks got.
Well, I bit the bullet. I know this is a 'worker' for me, so it's worth it in the long run, seeing as this version sounds virtually indestructible.
You won't be sorry. This is becoming one of my favorite walk-around tricks. Did it again at a University of Louisville strolling gig and had the girls literally screaming.

Jim
Received the sticks, and they're quite nice. But one thing in the instruction booklet has me concerned:

"...ensure that to prevent scratching the surfaces you do not rub them hard against each other while rolling them."

I bought this Elite version of the fortune sticks solely because they're being touted as indestructible, with no worries of the symbols being rubbed away like the plastic version. But if the symbols can be scratched, then they can be worn away over time. If that is the case, I've been misled in my purchase, and I will be asking for a full refund.
There's no way to rub the symbols off - they're actually recessed into the stick. You'd have to completely wear down the stick, uniformally, which would be almost impossible. I've used mine for many, many months and they still look like new.

Jim
Jim: From my examination of them, the symbols don't seem to be recessed into the stick.
By the way: How many times would you estimate you've performed this? And are there any scratches at all on the symbols?

Todd
Hey Todsky, the sticks are first anodized then a laser is used to etch out the symbols down to the bare metal and then some(although hard to tell with the naked eye). The symbols now can never wear away, ever! However in our instructions we want you to be aware that some tiny scratches, could/may appear over time with excessive abuse, or rubbing, but it would only be on the colored part and not on the symbols which would wear away with the plastic versions. Our elite editions are extremely durable, but Im not sure we ever advertised them as "indistructable". You still should look after them, and as long as you do that they should last you forever.

I have had my set from day one, I have 2 tiny marks barely visible on the red stick, caused from me dropping it on a cement floor by accident and it was stepped on, I have no visible scratches from people performing the trick and rubbing the sticks together. I always just add in the word "gently", and say "now gently roll the sticks around in your hand..." and I have performed it literally dozens and dozens of times over the last couple of years. Also it is a good idea to keep them in your case when not in use.

P.
Thanks for the reassurance, Peter. I don't mind if the odd scratch happens on the coloured part of the sticks; so long as the symbols aren't scratched.
Okay: time to go out and amaze with these suckers...
Todsky, thanks for your support in the Tenyo Elite Line, and you're good to go, the symbols won't wear away!

Go have fun!

PS: Anyone notice that a lot of people pick the wine glass? Not sure why that is, a lot of people must have booze on their mind I guess. Another popular one I find picked is the Egg, this one I can't explain...they're hungry at the time of performance, maybe?

Peter.
I absolutely love the fortune sticks, but can only use them when there is considerable lighting...still they are awesome for those occasions that I can use them.
Thank you for the great comments TheGreatNancini; we're so glad that you are enjoying them!

Best regards,

Jason Palter
Paltergeist Unlimited / Tenyo Elite
(416) 410-5766
Beautiful props, loved the plastic ones and love the aluminum ones... the only issue would be the aluminum engraved signs on the non contrasting yellow sticks... hard to read... quality is superb though.
Love the Fortune Sticks..... a great mental effect.....easy to do....leaves you time for a great presentation.

Joe
I have the original and the the Elite version. Now I do for 2 people at a time.

I taped symbols on my plastic set so they didn't wear off.

I'll take a picture and post it...

I use a presentation of the sticks make a sound I interpret from spectator mixing them.

Like they sing to me.

The metal ones make that even more believable.

Thanks Again Tenyo Elite
The "sound" presentation is a great idea, thanks for sharing.
A crazy thought, maybe. Due to lighting issues, the sticks can only be used in the right conditions. What if you put a tiny white pinprick of a dot on the matte sides of the sticks? Could something like this be done without calling attention to itself, and yet be visible enough for the magician to get the info he/she needs?
I paid $100 for mine - don't want to take a chance on messing them up.

Jim
I would like T-126 MATCH STICK Elite, made of the same material as Fortune sticks : aluminium, blue and red (with contrasting white numbers), even with black tips (just like FS), and also with its nice leather carrying pouch... Simple to produce for the Elite team, probably not to expensive ($100 retail?), would'nt look like a toy, and a great companion to Fortune sticks! What do you think? :)
Sim- Yes Match sticks are another item we are working with. Jason Palter fooled me badly with them while demoing them to me at our hotel a couple of years ago, great trick! Id like to see them made out of an expensive wood with brass inlay numbers. Just keep in mind Tenyo wants us to produce certain gimmicked(moving parts) tricks, such as blue crystal and soft coins(soft coins being specifically requested for us to do). We plan to release a mix of complicated gimmicked items with items less gimmicked. The more complicated and gimmicky tricks will retail for more than the less gimmicked items for obvious reasons. But I do like your idea of making them match the fortune sticks, great routing ideas here. I'll run this by Tenyo and the boys. Thanks for the great idea.
Anyone continuing to perform with these? New ideas, thoughts?

Any new developments for additional releases? Wooden version?
For those who haven't seen the demo video:

[youtube]X8Y9al69krw[/youtube]

---
Wooden version... hmm, that sounds cool. Plastic, Aluminum and now wood... not bad!
I've been doing the fortune sticks for almost 5 years - where did the time go? One end of one stick has a small (2 mm X 2 mm) chip out of the black plastic where it was dropped. Other than that, they're as good a new. If you don't have this prop, you're missing out on a super mind boggling effect.

Jim
I have the two versions,
each one is very good. Easy trick to do and plays big !!!
For those who have a concern of wear down, clear nail polish is the solution. Three coats. Be sure the coat is dry before adding the next.
Is there a wooden version? Or plans for one?