(Close Window)
Topic: The Vanishing Bandana
I have this effect (the one where you mistake banana for bandana) but have never performed. I'm worried that the handkerchief will get really messy and gooey :verysad: . How do you guys handle this problem?

-Andini :coolspot:
Wash it after each show. It's a Devil's Handkerchief; make or buy a couple if you do multiple shows. Get rid of the banana after the show by putting it in a plastic bag for later disposal.

The messy and gooey stuff is what makes this trick funny. So have available some baby wipes and paper towels so you can wipe your hands afterwards. Watch for dropping particles, the client won't appreciate this on their expensive carpet, so do it over the magic table. The facial movements and body contortions add to the effect so "ham it up".

It is one effect that is self working but it packs that humor which can make your show a success. Study the components of this effect and why it works so well. It is a formula for other successful effects.
This is one of my favorites. Hand wipes are a must!
You could follow it with the dirty hand towel.
Hi Andini,

Aldo Columbini who uses this gag quite a bit once suggested lining the pocket of the Devil's Handkerchief with a plastic baggie.

It's a hilarious routine, you'll have fun working on it Andini.

:banana:
Hi,
If you just do a few shows a year fine, but if you do hundreds then find another trick. There are thousands out there that would be equally if not more amusing to the children that do not require such a clean up and such mess.

Just my opinion though.
Phillip
I tried the plastic bag bit and the kids heard the noise of the bag "crinkling" and that took away from the full comedy potential.

I do like the dirty hand towel bit, I'll add that to the routine. I've been wanting to use it more than just on a kid. This will work out perfect!

Thanks Dude.
Dirty Hand Towel is a good idea.
I love this trick also. I haven't tried this, but I wonder if spraying the inside pocket with ScotchGuard would help.
Scotch Guard is a stain prevention spray. You still must wash the cloth every time you use it. And the Scotch Guard will be washed out.
I did this for kids with a mixed reponse. Maybe Aussie kids are a bit slow but they didn't seem to get the gag. (Though they love the grossness.)

HOWEVER, I perform this routine in every single adult stand up show I do. It is surprisingly strong magic and I have had people come up six months later and comment on that one trick!

Very messy but worth it.

By the way, if you think that the banana is messy, leave it in your magic box when you go on holidays and find out what messy really is! :hrmph:
The trick is great, I have been doing it in all my shows since I got it.

I turn the pocket inside out and rinse it well as soon as I get a chance and it washes out just fine. Don't worry about the mess, the getting there is well worth it! :babyface:

GlenD
I would agree with most of the previous posts. The mess is well worth it. I am now performing it in all my shows. I take a few minutes after each show to clean it but it really doesn't take long to clean. When I do multiple shows in a day I will go two maybe three performances without washing the pocket but I normally wash it and use the dryers in bathrooms to dry it. I think I may make several more devil hanks so that I can use the hank in multiple shows and clean up at the end of the day.
The trick is messy but well worth it.

I do something a little different at the end. I put a yellow silk in the devil's hank. When I open the bag to show the bannana is gone they see a yellow silk fly out. This takes a lot of heat off the devil's hank.

Best,
Ken Scott
Hey!! Nice addition and idea, I may give that a try next time!
Woohooo!

GlenD
In many ways the trick would be better if you failed and a banana went all over the audience.

:lol:
This trick comes from an old vaudville routine with two clowns. When using our pockets for this two clown routine we always lined our pockets! For the new cassette tape version I select the smallest not quite ripe banana, they are not as messy and the hank moves better with the vanish. Sometimes instead of washing the whole hank I just pull the pocket out and wash it. This routine always gets a lot of laughs!
I really enjoyed this routine but wanted to add a little bit more comedy to it. So I now perform this as a 'Do as I Do' routine. Of course it's about assessing up to the point of the routine if there is anybody in the audienceó usually adult and maleó who would play along with the mess.

The speactacle of my partner folding up the banana really gets a good reaction and my vanish at the end is enhanced when his mess goes thudding to the floor when he opens up his normal hanky.

I don't do this in venues with carpets, only those floors that I can clean afterwards!!
Wow, some great ideas for the bandana! Thanks folks, I will be using some.
Has anyone in England had a problem with children not knowing what a bandana is ?
What would be the youngest age of kids you could perform this trick to?
Thanks heaps!
Youngest of Age? Old enough to understand what is funny.

A two year old doesn't understand the words and can not appreciate the humor. They just might want to eat that banana you destroyed.

A three year old is still clingy to their parent and could be frightened of someone in a clown costume. They are inclined to laugh if everyone around them is laughing but they may not know why they are laughing.

Four year olds and Daycare Center's kids would enjoy this as well as teenagers and adults.

This brings us to those who are getting away from the puppet mold (loves Blue's Clues, Sesame Street, etc.) and want more of solid stuff that is funny.

Since kids mature differently, I would say four years (more like 4-1/2) would be the lower limit where they could find enjoyment in this effect. Remember they must understand bandana and banana, what a magician does, and what a magic trick is!
Harry I think this trick works better for older children. Bandana is not such a common word here in New Zealand. Most 5 years olds would not know what one is.

I use this for children age 6 and above.
Kids 3-103 seem to love it, even if they don't know what a bandana is they know folding a banana is funny. Of course I am a clown and I really exaggerate the movements and facial expressions.
:banana: :banana: :banana:
I still think this trick plays best for adults.
I love the bandana effect!!! :banana:

Has anyone seen David Copperfield perform it?
I love the way he does it, I bust out laughing every time I watch him perform it. :lol:
Message: Posted by: Daniel J. Ferrara Jr. (May 17, 2003 11:19PM)
I use it in all my children's shows, no matter what age. The children that are too young to understand the words and humor are laughing at the mess the banana is making. At the same time, the adults can enjoy the story and the humor.
Thanks for that!!!!!!
Can you also tell me when you do this trick what points or facial expressions really need to be made to make this work well? Because if you go by the tape that you buy about 3/4 through the tape I think it goes nowhere until you are asked to disappear the bandana.
You are supposed to believe you are palming a bandana but instead it is a gooey squished banana in your hand. Facial expressions and distorted palming make this comedy bit.

You do need to buy a real banana every time you do this routine.
Honestly, I really didn't think too much of this routine the first time I saw a dealer demo it.

THEN, I saw someone perform it in front of an audience of living, breathing people! That's when I saw the potential! It kills!

Another thing I like about it is it gives me an opportunity to do a little Red Skelton type pantomime. Plus, you can have a little snack after the show. Mmmmm, potassium!

It's going into my Summer Reading Show this year. Should be fun!

See ya!
Joe L.
Can someone please point me in the direction of how to acquire this fine effect?

Thanks,

Frank
Frank, you can get it from [url=http://www.dennymagic.com/cgi-bin/hazel.cgi?client=90501411&action=detail&item=004949][b]Denny & Lees[/b][/url] for $30.

jlibby, how do you incorporate a reading theme to the trick?

Good question. I'm going to explain to the kids that I first learned magic from library books, and they should do the same thing because that way they can learn magic for free. THEN, if they really get into it, they can visit magic shops or join a "trick of the month" club, like I did recently...

Basically, in this case, the reading message is a prelude to the routine.

See ya!
Joe L.
One cool thing that I did for the effect is use Music Match Jukebox to convert the audio tape recording you get with the routine into a CD. Then I did some art for the CD case and a yellow label for the CD. I show the audience the cardboard box, and the CD instructions. I put the CD in my player and then begin the routine. It works great.

I also, just to be sure, talk about the trick I just got in the mail called "The Vanishing Bandana". I then ask the (kid show) audience what a bandana is. If they do not know then I explain it first, then proceed with the effect.
This is my favorite and I play it for all audiences.

First, I tell people that when people ask me where to learn these great tricks, I tell them I subscribe to a trick of the month club and they send a trick every month whether I want it or not and when I forget to send it back I get to pay for it and keep it...you get the idea.

This trick relies heavily on facial expressions. A previous post asked when you use them. I use them at every point from extreme confusion to elation at a job well done. This effect is great because you can't over act, but it does require acting.

For the mess part of it: I found using plastic bags is good but they make so much noise and I have to fish for the opening so here is what I do. I get a zip lock baggie, the kind that has the seal not the cheap fold over type, and I turn it inside out. You'll notice that the mouth of the bag stays open really wide now so it isn't as much of a noise factor. The first few times I made some noise doing this, but now almost nothing. Nobody mad dogging me as I put it in there because I am continuing with my air of confusion and since everything else seemed difficult up until this point this part is no exception, so I take my time. Sometimes, I do get some spillage if I am over zealous in my squeezing, but as some previous posts have mentioned the best remedy is to get unripe bananas.

I do this too much to be cleaning a bag after every show. Most times I even ditch the plastic bag while still at the venue, and then when I set up for the next show I just put a new one in and I don't have to worry about that goo stain for the world to see.

Oliver
I just found out how to do this act recently and I'm so excited to use it! (After MUCH messiness!). Oliver...great idea! Do you mind if I use use it (the "trick of the month club" thing)? I like to ask before I use it... :lol:
Trick of the month club is not an original idea, yet it applies well here.

It works well also as a running gag routine for kids' shows for introducing various gags into a kids' act.
Of course it's not an original idea... :rotf: However, if I haven't used it and another has, I like to offer them the courtesy of at least asking. It takes away that "competition" feeling that I think eats away at too many professional relationships in magic.
After reading this topic's responses, it came to me to throw this into my show recently. I haven't used this one for over a year now but having seen the reaction again the other night, I am tempted to reinstate it. It does play big and funny. I guess sometimes we forget just how great tricks really come across even though they seem simple and foolish.

:bigsmile:
Dr. Bombay,

Are you a real Dr. that takes life seriously? If so, this trick works best when you let yourself go and act foolishly.

If acting foolishly is not what you want, then pass on this effect. If your magic character is more on the serious side then pass on this self-workimg comedy routine.

If you can make faces at squishing a banana in your hand and enjoy the moment, then this trick is for you. Only you can answer your question based on how "serious" you are.
Dr. Bombay is the bumbling warlock on the Bewitched TV show. Everyone loved him. Kids today don't know him, but I use it because it makes parents laugh and get a warm fuzzy at the memory of the show.

Doc
Mystic Shriner,

Feel free to use the idea, as was stated it is not original, but it does work great here. Have fun with it.
oliver
I still think the effect plays better for adults!
If you explain before hand, as spatrick suggests, it ruins the comedy of YOU not knowing the difference. If the kids don't know what a bandanna is, don't sweat it, they will enjoy the ridiculousness of the tape suggesting you fold a banana in half and so on. Also, if you perform this effect and have not seen David Copperfield perform his version do so immediately. He performed it to the voice of Mr. Rogers piped in via satellite. As with most of what David performs it was a masterpiece. It can be seen on his Magic in China special. You guessed it, the very same one he walked through the Great Wall. The special originally aired on CBS in I believe 1985.
This is a must see.
Ronald R. Romiski :banana:
Hello All:

There are some very nice ideas on this thread. I want to add that I didn't think a whole lot of this routine until I was in Vegas recently. I caught Tony Blanco's act at the Excalibur - it was mostly families in the audience. Anyway, he did this trick and it just KILLED!

Just curious though, is there a huge bulge in the Devil's Hank at the end? I like Ken's idea of having a yellow hank fall out of the DH to take the heat off it.

Ron Reid
One idea that helped me was to just make up or have someone make up a few extra Devils hanks in a rather thick material and use those. They don't cost that much to make if you have a sewing machine. If they start looking ratty, just toss them! Cheers! -- Jimo
The bulge is big but can be hidden if you handle the hank right.

I sometimes throw a handful of yellow confetti in the hank and the beginning.
I never really sweat the bulge. I hold the hank so there is a little sag in the top so the material bunches anyway.
oliver
[quote]
On 2003-05-16 08:05, eddieloughran wrote:
Has anyone in England had a problem with children not knowing what a bandana is?
[/quote]
I was just performing in England for a month and used this trick in every show. Everyone seemed to know exactly what the bandana was.
They'll love it!
FYI, this trick was originated by Tom Ogden.
Yeah, I find it interesting that so many people on this board constantly make posts about stealing ideas, etc.

David Copperfield used the Vanishing Bandana idea on his special WITHOUT permission from Tom Ogden (the originator.) The company that now produces the product (the one that you all purchased and use in your shows) did NOT receive permission from Tom Ogden, and he does not get any royalty fees either. This made Tom Ogden very mad. Just thought it would be an interesting bit of information. Oh well.
I took the (not good quality at all) cassette that comes with the effect, dubbed it to a CD, using some digital tweaking to improve it the best I can, and dubbed that to my ShowTech system. That way, I just show the cassette, and pretend to put it into the sound system and play it. Don't have to worry about batteries for a jam box or CD player.

Steve Thomas
I always look for the smallest banana's still kind of green. I find if they are not fully ripe they are not as messy.
Tom Ogden turned a two-person comedy magic skit into a one-person magic routine. But I can assure you that Bandana Banana skit appears in many old clown skit books. You use a cassette instead of a 2nd person and a D hank instead of your pants pocket. We always lined our pants pockets with a baggie. The two-person routine is even funnier! But then you have to split the take.
I love the routine and if Tom wrote the cassette version I am very sorry he has been robbed! It happens all to often.
I go for a small, VERY, VERY, ripe banana! The more messy the better, IMHO.

I did the routine the other night where a fellow magician, a great card sharp named Andrew Wimhurst (buy his video - its good) who commented that he had seen it before at it wasn't very funny but my personality made it work.

Itís an excellent effect to make your own.
Yeah Tom Ogden had the idea of using a record with the :banana: trick on it. He did the "cut and restored bandana" but the premise of the trick on tape with the bandana/banana was his. Now just for fun:

Tom Ogden, the :thehat: , did the :banana: trick for his :xmastree: and :birthday: shows. Of course, he never drank too much :stout: before he did those shows. This is a trick that he always seemed to have :goodluck: with until it was stolen. Then, Copperfield received the :applause: for it. I guess no one's an :cuteangel: , especially not Copperfield. Well...I gotta go; I'm getting hungry and :o: . I'll go hav a :hamburger: and maybe some :hotcoffee: for dessert. Then, I'll :readingbook: and :napping: .
I have this little guy who always dresses the same way and comes to ALL my public gigs and comes up at the end and tells me that I stole David Copperfield's joke.
Nicholas:
Hey, it happens. Just have to be satisfied with doing the best that you can do and try to answer the peopleís questions the best you can.

This is a great trick for anyone to make into their own presentation and character.
Hi, do you guys think that this effect would be as good if I used a sheet of paper with instructions and read them out loud instead of a tape player, because I don't use music and don't need to carry around a tape player, Ö just adds weight. Josh
JSMagic,

I had to do that today after a problem with my sound system. It worked great, I could add my own emphasis and pauses and such. I use a volunteer when doing the routine, and we learn together.

After seeing how well it worked without the tape, I was considering typing out the instructions and having someone from the audience read for us. Possibly, passing the paper from one person to the next at small parties so everyone gets to read a line. I think the reactions would be great.

Nicholas, I agree with the mess statement. This trick is made to be messy. I hear of people trying to keep the mess to a minimum. Buy some soap, some water and you will be fine. I do three-four shows a day with the same cloth with no problem. In fact, if the person is not being messy enough, I help out when it comes to the palming "grip".
I would have a child come up to assist you with this. Give them a magic hat and make them an apprentice... that you will do this wonderful magic trick with their help.

Having them read it would be very funny and get a bigger laugh when things begin to not go well.

In fact, what could be even nicer is that you make the magic happen with the kid. You bunch up the full cloth and have the child hold onto one corner and you the other. You have them help you open it. Now the magic has happened in their hand.
Jewls, could you post where I could find the clown/two person version? I've thought about letting my two kids do a routine in my show and I had thought of doing this trick, but instead of a tape, one reads the effect to the other. The idea of the banana in the pocket sounds great!
I quite like the idea of having it read out to fit in with my reading themed magic show. Does anyone use this for library shows with a reading message?

I would have thought the child reading out the card would try to correct you by explaining the difference between a banana and a bandana.
Some people have mentioned having to wipe their hands after performing this routine. I have never gotten any on my hands. Perhaps my Devils Hank is thicker??? :banana:
I think you want to wipe your hands even if you have nothing on them. It really sells the routine as being a messy squeezed banana.

I always act like something is on my hands and it gets a funny reaction.

Bruce Bray has like 5 bags that he uses. He takes all them with him, and if they get messy he gets one of the clean bags for the next show. At the end of the day he takes the bags home to wash them.

Ken
Ken:
I agree. I always dry and wipe my hands off. It sells the effect a bit better and it also tells the kids that it is smart to dry and wipe your hands off whenever touching messy things. It sends a good message to them.

Kyle
Tate,
Sorry, I have been busy and off for a while. The Bandana Banana skit it in Richard Snowbergs Clowns skit book and Barry Dechant's Clown Skit book, plus others I am sure! Check your Library! Hope this helps.
RoyHM,

Thanks for the info about Tommy not getting a penny from this. Maybe now I'll go buy it. :blush:
Tate, if you do a search on Google for skits with bananas you will find many.
Here a couple links:
[url=http://www.macscouter.com/CubScouts/PowWow99/CircleTen/Cub9.pdf]Cub Scout - skits with bananas[/url]

[url=http://www.scoutscan.com/skits/skitm.html]The Skit Library - The Magic Bandana[/url]
This is a great effect can be doen for kidsa nd adults, I will now use the "magic trick of the month" line in my routine.
It really is a wonderful routine that everyone seems to enjoy and get a lot out of.

Kyle
Does anyone have the cassette recording on MP3 that they would like to send me. I have it on tape but my computer skills suck.

G0THIKE
G0thike, find somebody who [i]has[/i] computer skills. Why do you need it on your computer, anyway?

I know it's possible to get it from tape to a CD via a burner (a 'real' one...not on a computer.)
Personally, I like the effect, but think the devels hanky which is provided looks very clunky and stiff. It also looks like something is inside after it vanishes which is why most performers ditch the hanky FAST !

I am playing with a method which vanishes the banana using a different method. In this way, you can freely toss the bandana in the air and show the hanky is really empty. This should fool magicians as well who expect a devels hanky.

Right now, I am leaning toward a plastic lined topit...but and searching for other methods. Any ideas would be appreciated.... Let's brainstorm !

Magically yours, Jeff
This effect really doesn't play well for kids.
Adults will love it if you can act.
Younger kids just don't get it.

Magic trick of the month club in the patter that comes with the directions.
I think I may have already said this before.

But inregards to the hanky. I too think there is alot of HEAT on the hanky. SO what I do is place a Yellow sillk inside the hanky and when I pop the hanky to show the bananna is gone a silk flys up into the air taken all the heat off it. So at the end the bananna did indeed change into a Bandana.

You kindy get two in one here. One the bannana vanishes and chnges into a yellow bandana.

Ken
I've never had a problem with the heat being on the hank. However, I do a two person version, so there is alot going one already. In addition, I think the shock of magic actually happening after the gags really takes the audience by surprise and provides additional cover. I have never really been called on the hank before. In fact, I always get accused of putting the banana somewhere in my jacket. I've taken to performing this act without the jacket, which also save me on dry cleaning.
This effect kills kids if played right. I would preface it by doing another handkercheif related routine earlier in the show. make a point to refer to the hank as a bandana. They will get it when it comes time to do the banana gag. Also you can play the squishing of the banana for all its worth and the kids eat it up.

S. Patrick
Patrick:

Thank you. I think you solved one of the questions I had with this effect. Evertime I do it, I get great laughs from the kids. BUT, I felt they were always laughing at the antics of the banana getting squashed. I never thought they were laughing at the idea of the bandana getting mixed up. I always thought why this might be.

Your reason makes sense in that most kids are not fimiliar with what a bandana is so they have no reason to react the proper way to it.

By setting it up during the show and showing what a bandana is, this will set it up for when you perform the effect later on. I will certainly give that a try.

Kyle
Thanks for the mention Kyle.

You can also preface it this way.

Some magicians think that when any type of background music is on they should remain silent. If done right, and with perfect timing, you can talk to the recorded audio and get laughs. As a matter of fact the whole idea of you talking (and later pleading) with a recorded CD (or tape) is in itself funny.

After the audio says "....and a yellow bandana.". You shout "But it's a banana.". Then when the recording says "Pick up the bandana", you reply "Its a banana". The audio then says "Fold the bandana in half." You reply with "Its a ... Oh never mind". If you do it right it kills, and it also gets the bandana/banana point across.

S. Patrick
Spatrick,

Great ideas -- talking back to the recording. I was laughing just reading the idea. This allows you to introduce the term "bandana" to the kids, and still get the laughs later when you yourself mix up the two words. Brilliant!

Scott ;).
I am a second grade teacher...an expert on kids and what they like....they get it if you know kids and how to "make them get it". I have to say that I've performed all kinds of routines for entire school assemblies and the vanishing bandana has far surpassed the most expensive props. I've done the ultimate dancing hank, Fearson's floatation, flaming head chest, sub trunk, floating rose, etc etc....the biggest reaction from both kids and adults and the most memorable effect has been by far (to my surprise) the vanishing bandana.
Coldthorn
Ventman:

May I ask if you prime the audience first by getting them to know and understand what a bandana is? I often wonder if the kids really get the idea of the bandana vs. banana language or if they just react from my comical antics? Any thoughts on this based upon your own work?

Kyle
I was wondering if any other Australians, or NZs, or English people have used this with a child/adult audience? I am about to order a large order of tricks/props/ and accessories, and was thinking of adding it, but I wouldnt know how well it would work. I have heard the hank is a little heavy and stiff, is this true? will it be easy enough to make another one with a simple sewing machine?
This thread got me to start playing around with this trick again. I was somewhat concerned about the bulge, although no one has ever mentioned it when I've performed it. But I found that if I release 3 corners of the hank and hold it by the corner with the pocket, it's impossible to see a bulge. I'm going to try it at a birthday show tomorrow to see how it plays.
Message: Posted by: The Great Smartini (Jul 10, 2004 06:14PM)
Does anyone out there do it in conjunction with the Instant Magician?...any thoughts?
Smartini
That is a great idea
I second that!

However, A lot of the humour comes from the performance of the magician. Not the giggling spectator who is wearing the outfit.
I performed YB with the instant magician for years. I came to find out that it was funnier without the jacket because sometimes there would be a bit of awkwardness if the assistant wasn't completely cooperative. In addition, because I do several shows a day I didn't like cleaning the banana off the jacket. I always keep an extra instant magician set with me, but the cleanup wasn't worth it.

Just a note. I have been making special devils hanks for the yellow bandana routine for club members. These include a special vinyl pocket that rinses clean. Anyone that is interested can contact me.
Message: Posted by: The Great Smartini (Jul 12, 2004 04:10PM)
Good point about the facial expressions of the magician creating the humour and magic of this routine...still, the audience can see your face as well as the child/spectators and the look of both faces as the banana/bandana is folded etc. might provide some possibilities for interactions...i think that the idea is good because the instant magician doesn't just know how to do a trick they must learn one...perhaps you start out with a card trick ala electric deck and then when you reveal this as a comedic gag you let the audience know that you learn magic tricks primarily from reading instructions/books (a nice reading message)...reading for purpose its called in the literacy field...the child then learns the trick along with the cd/tape and of course the banana...bandana thing goes awry...well almost, that is, except for the happy ending

[quote]
On 2004-07-10 23:14, Nicholas J. Johnson wrote:
I second that!

However, A lot of the humour comes from the performance of the magician. Not the giggling spectator who is wearing the outfit.
[/quote]
This has been one of my favorite trick. One good suggestion is to add background music to the tape that comes with it, then convert it to cd. Add up to the effect. I also adjusted the gap to suit my routine.

Hope this one helps.
I just added this to my show last month. I did it 10 times in front of big crowds and, as someone else said, it played bigger than some of my big dollar routines. Not bad for $30! I get really messy doing it, that's half of what makes it funny!

I would be interested in what everyone thinks of doing it in front of an adult ONLY crowd, no kids. I have not done this, but I am tempted. Has anyone else done it for adults only? Nick?

Thanks guys,

Keith
I went to a magician's house today and looked at this. I will be ordering this soon. I listened to the tape and it was the funniest thing ever. I think it would go good for adults.
-Tyler
This one is for everyone. The adults really belive that you are going to show one of the ways you learn magic, then they are blown away by the nonesense. This is a great routine.
Message: Posted by: The Great Smartini (Nov 7, 2004 12:37AM)
I like this idea as I find the handling of the dirty hand towel a little forced/awkward...but maybe its just me

[quote]
On 2003-05-07 01:23, flourish dude wrote:
You could follow it with the dirty hand towel.
[/quote]

Ken,

thanks for sharing this sensible idea...like others have said I will use it.
One of my favorite tricks. I do few adult only shows, but this plays very well for adults. If you line the pocket with the type of plastic bag the super markets have in the produce section, it will allow you to use the cloth for multiple performances, and it will not talk.
Message: Posted by: The Great Smartini (Nov 7, 2004 02:36PM)
A question regarding the yellow silk. I'm assuming that you keep it in the devils hank pouch but how do keep it clean once you put the banana in? Is there an order of things that I'm missing? Do you palm it out and switch it to the outside or?
thanks!
Actally I bring out the hank folded up like. In it is the yellow silk. So it is inside the folded up hank. When I grab the two corners to open the silk merely flys out. So no it is not is the secret comp. My theory is why run if you are not being chased? No one is expecting it there so there is no need to show it empty.

It much like when magicians show a change bag empty, they always say look it is empty, but what they are really saying is I am lying there really is something there I am just not showing you.

As far as putting the bag insideto protect from dirty bannana everywhere, I don't do that I guess it could work. I just simply bought 6 hanks and they get dirty I wash them when I get home.

Ken
Message: Posted by: The Great Smartini (Nov 8, 2004 12:47AM)
I agree with your "...don't run if you are not being chased." So when you show the banana gone the hank simply flys out towards the audience?
That is right the silk flys out.

ken
Message: Posted by: The Great Smartini (Nov 8, 2004 11:35AM)
Ken,

I'd like to thank you for all of the sharing that you do. Your ideas, thoughts are really appreciated by someone who is trying to improve their act to the next level. I wish you all the best.
I LOVED this trick when Copperfield did it, using an expensive-looking handbag which he apparently borrowed form a lady in the audience. A great deal of the humor came from the idea of a banana being squashed in someone's personal bag.

I think that something is lost when it's the magician's property that's being abused.

Secondly, (although I don't know this to be true since I don't own it) I have always thought that a bulky, heavy object like a banana wouldn't vanish convincingly in a devil's hank (not a problem with the Copperfield version.) There's bound to be the telltale sag and bulk, right? I have seen many a "magician" use this prop and only fool themselves (same often applies to productions from loaded silks.)

Or am I making false assumptions?
I have never had a problem with anyone suspecting anything in the hanky at all when presented. I always get a laugh and then an applause and a sort of "oh wow" reaction to it. I simply swing it open and show it is gone.

You certainly do not have to over play this by showing both sides etc. Just simply swing it open and let them see and get rid of it. In this manner I have never had a bad reaction to it. There really is not much bulg that is noticeable to an audience.

Kyle
I would say false assumptions. Sure if you just sit there and hold the bag still they are going to see a buldge. But with the color of t he fabric being so busy they don't have a chance to see anything. But that is why I put the yellow silk in there to hide any attention that might be on the hank.

In regards to the purse that David used. I not sure that fooled anyone. The bag did not look like any purse I have ever seen. But you are right there were some funny bits in that routine.

Ken
Even if the handbag Copperfield "borrows" may not look like anything you've seen (although I don't know I agree, as there are hundreds of different types of bags out there), I think it's irrelevant. Since he BORROWS the bag, it's above suspicion. When using our own bag, it certainly loses this apparent impromptu appearance.

I'm not saying this kills the effect -- I use plenty of my own props to vanish things. All I'm saying is DC's presentation had far more convincing and entertaining elements.
[quote]
On 2004-11-10 12:25, Starrpower wrote:
Even if the handbag Copperfield "borrows" may not look like anything you've seen (although I don't know I agree, as there are hundreds of different types of bags out there), I think it's irrelevant. Since he BORROWS the bag, it's above suspicion. When using our own bag, it certainly loses this apparent impromptu appearance.

I'm not saying this kills the effect -- I use plenty of my own props to vanish things. All I'm saying is DC's presentation had far more convincing and entertaining elements.
[/quote]

I agree with this point, but what can we do to add more entertainment to the vanishing bandana and make it stronger?
[quote]
On 2009-11-30 16:50, coolini wrote:
what can we do to add more entertainment to the vanishing bandana and make it stronger?
[/quote]
The best thing we can do is drop it. It is karaoke magic. Spend a few minutes developing a routine of your own.
[quote]
On 2009-11-30 17:33, TonyB2009 wrote:
[quote]
On 2009-11-30 16:50, coolini wrote:
what can we do to add more entertainment to the vanishing bandana and make it stronger?
[/quote]
The best thing we can do is drop it. It is karaoke magic. Spend a few minutes developing a routine of your own.
[/quote]
...but remember that you have to squish a banana at the end. How about you just sit on the banana? That will get a laugh!
(Really, I LOVE the Vanishing Bandanna, perhaps I'll put it back in my show for a while!)
Potty:)
[quote]
On 2003-05-27 21:50, magic 12376 wrote:
If you explain before hand, as spatrick suggests, it ruins the comedy of YOU not knowing the difference.[/quote] That's one way to do it, but if you DO know the difference, it's a lot of fun for the kids to see you panic on stage as the tape tells you to continue. I like Justin Kredible's touch of cleaning your hands with a yellow bandana. Not sure if it's his own idea, but it is fun nonetheless.
I think that the mess is the most important part of the trick, kids love the gooie mess. Just make sure you have a hand wipe and a plastic bag to put your devil's hank in.

And paraguppie I think that sometimes adults enjoy this trick more than the children, out of all the stuff I do this is my dad's absolute favorite!

Zach
With all the praise for vanishing bandana in this thread, I had to check it out.

What a great effect! And as a newbie myself, I can't imagine a better trick to do in front of family and friends who know you're a newbie. I'm gettin' it.

Thanks,

Larry
We have it added to our 2010 jungle shows. We have put a twist to it. We have redone the recording to help me teach my bible verse that we bear fruit. It really is a GREAT add.
Ok I will bite here.

I have performed the bandana trick oh I don't know maybe 1000 times and no mess ever. and as for the bag getting messy it takes about 150 shows before its messy and I just through it in the wash with my clothes and viola- done.

now I am guessing that when you put it in the bag you are actually squeezing the banana but I ask why. when I first got this I did that too and after the 3rd show I said forget this. I just mime the banana getting smashed the audience does not see it getting smashed therefore why smash it??

after the show I just dump the banana out and fold the cloth and pack it away.

just my thoughts.
oh and Yes you MUST be an actor to make this really funny, play it up as best you can --it is indeed a highlight in many kid shows

sam
Whats the difference from the vanishing bandana to the ultimate version?
[quote]On Dec 4, 2009, Sam Sandler wrote:
Ok I will bite here.

I have performed the bandana trick oh I don't know maybe 1000 times and no mess ever. and as for the bag getting messy it takes about 150 shows before its messy and I just through it in the wash with my clothes and viola- done.

now I am guessing that when you put it in the bag you are actually squeezing the banana but I ask why. when I first got this I did that too and after the 3rd show I said forget this. I just mime the banana getting smashed the audience does not see it getting smashed therefore why smash it??

after the show I just dump the banana out and fold the cloth and pack it away.

just my thoughts.
oh and Yes you MUST be an actor to make this really funny, play it up as best you can --it is indeed a highlight in many kid shows

sam [/quote]
I agree with the acting comment... you almost have to be as exaggerated as a mime in order to get the most mileage out of this routine.
[quote]On Apr 29, 2020, aheller5 wrote:
Whats the difference from the vanishing bandana to the ultimate version? [/quote]

Mainly just different bits of scripting and I think the ultimate one is all black
I performed this about 100 times one year when I did school assemblies for the school fundraiser. I would get stopped by children ALL the time when I was out and about who would gush about how funny I was (due to this trick). Have fun with it and like one other person said, ham it up with a straight face. Children LOVE this one!