(Close Window)
Topic: How things have changed.
Used to be when you were in a library, "Shhhh!" was the word.

I was in the other day, and people were laughing, talking, carrying on...

Just not the same anymore.
Are libraries even necessary anymore? Courtesy of the internet, we all have a vast library in our home.
Unfortunately, most people use libraries as a source for free internet. Just go to one when school gets out or people get off of work - the aisles of books are silent, but the computers have a line waiting to use them to check email, get on myspace, etc.

I, for one, still like to go to the library in the back at a table and read all day long - not that I get that chance but there are still quiet libraries out there - I've been to 100's of them during the summer, and there are several that are nice and peaceful.

Chad
There is nothing as breathtaking and beautiful as the New York Public Library!

It's a [i][b]MUST DO![/b][/i] when you visit NYC. Located on the corner (takes up the whole block) of 42nd street and 5th Ave. You can spend the whole day there and the only words that will come out of your mouth is WOW!
[quote]
On 2009-02-05 06:27, daffydoug wrote:
Used to be when you were in a library, "Shhhh!" was the word.

I was in the other day, and people were laughing, talking, carrying on...

Just not the same anymore.
[/quote]

And when was the last time you were in a library before that? I have seen librarians on their cell phones!
[quote]
On 2009-02-05 10:33, Matthew W wrote:
And when was the last time you were in a library before that? I have seen librarians on their cell phones!
[/quote]

"I remember when the librarian was a much older woman: Kindly, discreet, unattractive. We didn't know anything about her private life. We didn't want to know anything about her private life. She didn't have a private life."
[quote]
On 2009-02-05 09:31, Justin Style wrote:
There is nothing as breathtaking and beautiful as the New York Public Library!

It's a [i][b]MUST DO![/b][/i] when you visit NYC. Located on the corner (takes up the whole block) of 42nd street and 5th Ave. You can spend the whole day there and the only words that will come out of your mouth is WOW!
[/quote]

and you can see the stone lions from "ghostbusters"
My wife used to be a librarian at a prominent local University. She was amazed at how many students had obviously never set foot in a library before! They had no idea of how to find anything, or even (as mentioned above)the rudiments of how to behave in a library. The number of times that she had to ask a student to stop eating their lunch while browsing the historical (i.e., exceedingly rare and expensive) section was amazing.

Then we visited our local libraries. They used to be awesome. Now, if you're not looking for the latest hack bestseller or wanting to borrow a DVD, you're likely out of luck. The non-fiction section is mainly self-help tripe. The librarians, who are still quite capable in their jobs, are now relegated to corralling shrieking kids and are therefore unavailable to help you with an inter-library loan request.

We know that libraries must stock what their patrons want. Until a few years ago, we owned and operated a new, used, and rare bookstore. We stocked what sold. But we also had some of the most obscure books you could ever imagine. And, if we didn't have what you wanted, we knew where to get it! That's what libraries used to be like.

I miss them.
I love my local library so much. Without librarians, I wouldn't be alive! The idea that the internet will replace books makes me roll my eyes, sorry Ken but have you ever read a novel on your computer? Might be for some but not me.

Lets also remember that many librarians, maybe not the ones talking on their phones, but real librarians with real degrees and a real passion for library science are staying current, learning everything they can about electronic research, etc so that they can guide us into the new era of research.

The internet, pft. Look how little there is on the internet about devant, cardini.... Very often, if you are researching something that is older than the internet, everything written about it on the internet comes from the same source. Sure the internet is great for keeping up with current events, but lets not lose our history just because we are too lazy to use interlibrary loan and open up a good old book!
Amen!

I had never heard the term "library science" but that really piques my interest!