(Close Window)
Topic: Scam school
Don't know if anyone has seen it yet but on revision3 or youtube there is a program called scam school Brian Brushwood hosts it. He is a magician that does college tours.

http://www.youtube.com/user/revision3

He has a lot of bar scams/simple magic/ puzzles!
Some good stuff there - thanks!

Ron
No problemo. There are also some very easy magic tricks if anyone is a beginner and is interested. I think it is a weekly show.
Been a fan for some time ...
check out his Scissors, Paper, Stone routine

Wulfie
Some might call it exposure.
Glad to see other Scam School fans here. A lot of good bar bets and fun tricks for parties. Good for taking a night off from a lot of the 'serious' party magic.
I will add that while I personally LOVE the show, I am surprised at what he is willing to put out there for the public. Fortunately he clearly knows where to draw the line most of the time and just performs anything that's over a layman's head, but there are a few concepts (which I cannot really remember now) that he definitely exposed that got my magician sense tingling.

Just a thought...
Check out the latest heads or tails routine.
A real winner with table hopping
I don't think that it's really exposure in this case. These to me are simple bar bets/wagers that will not hurt a professional close up magician. Plus, if someone is searching for a bar bet to do at a bar, they're more than likely a magician at this point anyway. I really don't think he's giving away anything drastic.
Brian brushwood is an interesting fellow. I'm an extremely big fan of scam school. he inspired me to perform the human blockhead, and eat fire along with many other things. I would like to compliment him for what he does.
I used to watch a lot of their vids, some are very entertaining.
I watched pretty much all of the Scam School videos on youtube and found them very entertaining. Many are just harmless little games to earn a free drink in a bar. Among my favorites were:

- the human chimney
- cheating at poker
- the lift
- coint trick that fooled Einstein
- fast & loose
- shims made from a coke can to open locks

Best,
G.
I find this one of the most enjoyable shows on the interwebs. Brain Brushwood is an excellent character and I would say he very clearly knows where to draw the line in what to show and not show.
The latest episode is very good, more an exposure than the other where I feel. Nice and brave.
Brian is a great entertainer, I love scam school
TiVo has an option where I can download weekly tricks from the net onto my TiVo from Scam School.

Brian is a riot and quite likeable.
It's a good series, and he's [url=http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL609A16C6B488F9AB&feature=viewall]even used ideas of mine or mentioned my site in 5 different episodes[/url]!

I sometimes worry that the stuff he gives away is too good, such as Miraskill or the Gilbreath Principle. On the other hand, I've noticed that you can often perform things for Scam School fans from episodes about 2 months back or so, and still fool them with the things.
As of this week...make that 6 episodes!
;)

Scam School site: [url=http://j.mp/twRerx]http://revision3.com/scamschool/multipleouts[/url]
YouTube: [url=http://j.mp/sPI9E0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0u4n8tMp44U[/url]
He has now released scam school ebook on I tunes.
Oh wow I didn't know this existed. I remember Revision3 from a while ago when they did a series called The Broken (hacker show). They did a few episodes then stopped. I'll have to revisit them now.
I love scam school episodes!!
Jeez- I thought he was going to tip "Shufflebored" after he showed how to get the quarter into the glass, but thankfully he didn't!
Message: Posted by: Martin Kristjansen (Jan 16, 2013 03:56PM)
I found scam school when my interest in magic grew to something more "serious" so to speak and Brian helped that interest grow. Yeah, you could call some of it exposure but it is not like the biggest secrets he shows people. And those who come by are mostly people who would like to do trick themselves. As I see it he shows people how easy you can trick people with very simple stuff/technique/preparation.

I would recommend scam school as a place to get inspiration for presentation of the tricks. He makes you see the tip of the iceberg of different magic fields and shows you how it could be done. Brian has a quite strange personality and that is what I like about him. You can see how he is a part of the trick instead of "showing" a trick.
Latest episode of Scam School reveals the secret of the Invisible Deck and how to make it using RF type s***y

This is not just a stunt or betcha
Scam School is soo good boardering on exposure. There is some gems in there in between all the adverts. Greig
I can't comment on the exposure issue, but its a great little show, some great tricks, and excellent delivery and performance :)
What you peoples think of his booktest ?
Did any one try Brian's book test yet ?
Thy have this ring I want to get, the deluxe version comes with a saw and a lockpick I think.
Scam School is pretty cool. Thanks for the heads up...
I find it ok. a lot of lame things with a couple of higher end tricks.
While a lot of older magicians seem to despise Bushwood, I really enjoy his show and books and he's one of the reasons I got interested in magic.
I've always loved magic, but Scam School is the reason I decided to learn. A lot of people are upset about the invisible deck, but that's a VERY old trick in need of an update. It should really always be followed by a deck switch because "trick deck" is going to be the first theory from everyone.
Brian sucks once again .. he will be exposing in a fake Houdini seance...
Personally, I like Scam School. Of course, I may be biased by the [url=http://tinyurl.com/ScamSchoolScott]episodes to which I've contributed[/url]. ;)
I can say that Scam School may have been the biggest factor in getting me into magic. I'm still very new to the art, but I routinely use things that I've learned from the show because they're really simple but they've got plenty of impact.
Scam school is great, as it gives you tricks which have a high impact, and it has helped me to start doing basic sleights and have to confidence to approach people to do magic. It's interesting and Brian makes it great.
My favorites are still matchbook related tricks, bar bet and pranks.
some of the good ones are: the Human Jack o lantern, Human chimney..
Maybe its because there is an element of danger, people are both afraid and engaged , and want to be involved when I do it.
I enjoy Scam School.. but.. my one problem with Brian is that he refuses to credit. It would be so easy to take an extra three or four seconds and give the source. He would also stay in better graces with the 'older' magicians by doing so.. JMHO
Crediting seems to be hit or miss, he occasionally gives some credit - but it isn't consistent.
I should mention that I do love the show and the feeling of the experience. It is also nice to see that it has gotten others to be interested in the art.
Scam school has something for everyone! I agree there is a lack of crediting and that should be addressed. I have purchased several products off the back of scamschool and have found quality shipping etc to be excellent and I live in the Uk.

David
I'm glad to see that, in the most recent episode to which I contributed, there is proper crediting included: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCz8xYLGmFY&t=34s

To be precise, there is correct [i]mathematical[/i] crediting. Magicians have played around with card versions of Penney's Game before, but the credit here goes to the first mathematical study of the odds.
I've been a fan of Scam School and Brian for a long time. TBH, I think he is more of an asset to the community than a detriment. If anything, its a place for those who are curious to explore a bit and determine their level of interest.
I am 60 yrs. old, and I have been interested in magic since the mid-'70s. IMHO I consider Scam School as a voice of magic for a new generation. I like watching the show. Brian Brushwood has a ton of personality and really seems excited about performing. Hopefully he will do better about giving credit to others.
I know I'm coming late to this discussion, but there seems to be a lot of hate for BB on other threads, apparently based on his "exposure" of the invisible deck. Like the TT or SD, it's one of the oldest tricks in the book and has been exposed countless times. When I was a fledgling magician it was exposed to me during my first trip to Tannen's to try to put together my first basic magic kit (so much magic seems to get exposed to laypeople who are casual shoppers in magic shops, people who have no intention of studying the art seriously). I'm by no means an expert conjuror and probably never will be, but I'm wondering why exposing the ID in particular has raised everyone's hackles so much. I'm genuinely seeking to understand, not to take sides.

Concerning BB, I've enjoyed some of the Scam School episodes, and don't see why it seems to get singled out for such opprobrium (sorry, I hardly ever get to use that word). There are so many other YouTube channels that do a good bit of exposure as well, and some of them have proven to be really good learning resources in terms of basic card controls and sleights. I'm not talking about the really egregious sites that really do expose new secrets just to be dickish, but the ones that actually teach.