(Close Window)
Topic: Out Of This World
Does anyone know of a book/document/DVD compiling all the variations
of this classic effect?
It doesn't exist--there are too many versions, some of which are sold by the big dealers, and some, like mine (I have several) sold independently or not sold at all.

It would be a cool project, though, but you'd have an awfully hard time compiling ALL the variations.
I'm not aware of any book talking exclusively on the Out of This World effect.
Although, I'd highly recommend Michael Weber and Dean Dill's trick: A New World.
It's by far the cleanest and most mind blowing version I've seen so far.

PM me if you find an answer to your question !

Simon.
The owner of the Magic Apple in Los Angeles is currently compiling an OOTW text.
By the rate L&L are going with their World's Greatest Magic (of the World's Greatest Magicians) series, it wouldn't suprise me if the came out with one dedicated to OOTW. Don't know how long you will have to wait, though.
Here is a good start. Take a look at Lawrence O.'s post about midway thru the thread.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=288933&forum=37&start=30
It's not likely that the best methods will be collected into one volume. The publisher would have to get permission to reprint from Eugene Burger, Paul Harris, Derren Brown and Luke Jermay, in addition to publishing earlier methods. I don't see that happening, and honestly, without those contributors any OOTW compilation will be incomplete.

I prefer a straightforward effect. In my search for the perfect Out of This World method and presentation (using an ordinary deck), I, along with my local magic buddies, have found the following variations to be most helpful:

1)U.F. Grant's "Nu-Way" OOTW (see Eugene Burger's Exploring Magical Presentations DVD for the best, most logical performance). It's the best impromptu method with a borrowed deck (no preparation).

2)Paul Harris' "Galaxy" (many swear by this) from Art of Astonishment, vol. 3

3)Derren Brown's OOTW from "Devil's Picturebook" (IMHO either this or Galaxy)

4)Luke Jermay's work on OOTW in his book, "Building Blocks"

5)"Whitestar" (a living/dead test effect with a method applicable to any OOTW presentation).

6)A str****r d***, for a very fair shuffle by the participant before the effect begins. I don't know where that's published. I discovered it independantly; I'm sure others have as well. It's one of the very best uses of this indetectable gaff. If I don't have one available, I use Lennart Green's method to get the deck ready, then I make a few minor adjustments to allow the participant to openly shuffle via the Paul Harris setup.

Before the effect, a d*** sw**** sometimes also works well for getting set.

The one version I've never used is Harry Lorayne's "Out of This Universe." It's a fine effect, and you can read about it in other threads. Not what I was personally looking for.

Although I haven't divulged any secrets, I feel I've given away too much. Try each one of the methods, then tell me if I'm wrong... these are the best solutions thus far (with a nod to Paul Curry's brilliance for pioneering the original).
Obviously not too-well informed if you use Lennart Green's rip-off of my The Great Divide to set for OOTW. Or, if you don't know how I set for my Out Of This Universe from a shuffled deck, which I teach (yes, get ready for a plug) in LORAYNE: THE CLASSIC COLLECTION, Volume 1. HL.
A rebuke? "Obviously not too-well informed...?" Please, calm down.

Lennart's set-up is identical to yours? I'll let you and him settle that. If it's truly a rip-off, I apologize for not crediting you... he doesn't credit you, so how would I know without owning your books? I'm surprised I've never bought any of your books, but... do I need to list for you the classics in my library to prove I'm not a thirteen-year-old "street magic" enthusiast?
When I finally do buy your materials, it will be for other effects and ideas. So far, no one has ever shown me an effect that grabbed me and said, "that's in Harry Lorayne's ________" and got me excited enough to buy the book. It will probably happen eventually, and when it does you will have your revenge. For now, I have enough card books. If The Great Divide is indeed identical to the Angle Separation, I'll buy the book it appears in for the sake of fairness and peace of mind. The workman is worth his wages.

I borrowed the book with your OOTW about fifteen years ago from one of your big fans. I never used your routine because when I read it and saw it performed, it wasn't the solution I was looking for. Why? I didn't want to go into that topic on this forum, you've heard it before, but: too long in duration for my needs, too confusing... and wasn't there some clean-up involved at the end? Perhaps not. I do remember it left me unsatisfied and I passed it over. So what?

I've performed and sold magic for almost 20 years and I know I've seen effects of yours that I liked... but in comparison to the OOTW's I've already mentioned, yours was furthest from my goals. I'm sure it's probably better than any answer I would've invented on my own.
No doubt at the time yours was first published, it was groundbreaking, and I agree it's important in the evolution of the trick. IT'S ONLY MY OPINION. If you're insulted, I'm sorry. I know there are many satisfied performers of Out of This Universe who currently use it as their favorite method. I personally know at least two. That's why I mentioned it in my earlier post.

Do you get upset at everyone who states an opinion about OOTW without plugging your variation? I was trying to be fair in my last post; I stated my thoughts gently. Responding to a post like yours is so unpleasant, because I feel you've cornered me into a negative response I never wanted to give. After so many years, I know who you are. I do respect your work, Harry, but I'm unimpressed with your rude retort.

Posted: Feb 28, 2009 9:16am
After sleeping on that last post, I feel a little sick to my stomach. I don't think I should've written while angry. I'm very sorry.

Not five minutes after I finished, I read a reccomendation for Harry Lorayne's "Remembering People," which I know I need to read because I forget spectators' names. I know it will probably be the most important thing I read this year.

I've done a little research this morning. It does seem that the Angle Separation is the same idea as the Great Divide. At least you could have been credited. You have a right to be angry about it. I'll buy the book.
"Out Of This Universe" is a really great trick, but in my opinion it´s not a "Out Of The World" effect.

Two types of effects, both great but different.

Just my opinion.
Okay, Mike, I accept your apology if, in fact, that's what it is. But, I really (and I don't mean this sarcastically)couldn't care less about what you think of my Out Of This Universe, or of any of my work. That's [b]not the point[/b] here at all. Just to keep the record straight, I only get a bit miffed when people who should, don't know about my The Great Divide, which was originally manuscripted/copyrighted in 1972. And, no, Lennart's rip-off is not "identical" - it's nowhere NEAR as good. And, of course, he doesn't credit me - thieves don't usually credit their victims. And, "buying my book" won't teach you my The Great Divide - thanks anyway. It isn't in print anywhere. (It IS on one of my "Best Ever" DVD volumes.) But, again, that's not the point - it's your loss, if anyone's. The [i]only[/i] point I wanted to make was re: the rip-off.

I've written this a number of times, so I'll bore some, but - Lennart is one of the best darn cardman alive today - that's a given. But, HE RIPPED-OFF my The Great Divide. Thank you for giving me the right to be angry, Mike. And, you are a bit behind the times; again, I don't mean this rudely or sarcastically, but my book, REMEMBERING PEOPLE has been out of print for over at least a decade! I've written quite a few on the subject since. My most current is AGELESS MEMORY (originally titled, The Over-50 Memory Book, but it "works" for any age).

Another "incidentally," Mike. If you check my original response to your original post, as I just did, you may have to search for my "rudeness." You may consider "not too well informed" as being rude; I sure didn't mean it to be. It's a fact, Mike. If you were well-informed you'd have known about my The Great Divide. I'm glad to see that you realize about writing "while angry." So, again, thanks for giving me that right. I do love you. Best - HARRY LORAYNE.
Classic Collection Vol. 1 is awesome. I highly recommend it!
[quote]
On 2009-02-26 16:29, Mike Ince wrote:
These are the best solutions thus far (with a nod to Paul Curry's brilliance for pioneering the original).
[/quote]

Just to be clear...

You're saying these are the best so far [b][i]in YOUR research[/b][/i], not that these these are the best [b][i]ever created[/b][/i] so far. Is that accurate? Because while the former may well be true, you'd have to had seen/read every version ever created for the latter to be accurate.
[quote]
On 2009-03-02 17:53, Scott F. Guinn wrote:
[quote]
On 2009-02-26 16:29, Mike Ince wrote:
These are the best solutions thus far (with a nod to Paul Curry's brilliance for pioneering the original).
[/quote]

Just to be clear...

You're saying these are the best so far [b][i]in YOUR research[/b][/i], not that these these are the best [b][i]ever created[/b][/i] so far. Is that accurate? Because while the former may well be true, you'd have to had seen/read every version ever created for the latter to be accurate.
[/quote]

That goes without saying (so why say it?). I have to say that anyone who uses a superlative like "best" has to back up their statement, but it's still only opinion. If I were to say "these are the best versions ever created" and I could somehow prove to you I'd SEEN every version created, I'd still be making a subjective statement. For the record, I haven't seen every version.
I don't know how to scientifically, unequivocally quantify which version is "best", but I can back up MY opinion of what's best. I feel good about making that first post (with the exception of crediting Lennart Green instead of Harry Lorayne, but that's really between Mr. Lorayne and me, isn't it? And it seems to be cleared up. I was very wrong, and he's very gracious.)
I agree; anything I post is based on MY research. I've looked for several years, however, and I think that counts for something. I'm fortunate to have picked the brains of a number of cardmen I respect, and these are my favorite methods (and theirs). With the exception of U.F. Grant's, each one of these methods looks very straightforward and can be done impromptu.
The participant shuffles the UNGAFFED cards (perhaps with my exception of a s******* deck), deals TWO piles, and the piles can be shown to be either all red or all black (or in the case of Whitestar, all dead or all survivors). It's preferable that the participant can turn over the piles, eliminating (in their mind) the possibility of switches.
I'd be interested to hear if you've found another published routine fitting the above parameters that's superior to those methods already listed. At this point, I doubt there is one (in print). I'd be happy if you'd prove otherwise, because I'm still open to more options. In reference to THAT straightforward effect, perhaps I've seen every published method. Impossible to know without reading every card magic book ever written. Know anyone who's done that? Me neither.
There is one I like in which the performer is blindfolded, separates the face-up cards, fails, then turns over the piles to show one red-backed pile and one blue-backed pile. Great idea, but can't be done with a single borrowed deck (unless you have time to draw X's with a Sharpie n*** w****r on the backs of half the cards).
If you want to talk about OOTW effects in which the PERFORMER deals, utilizes specially-printed cards, stooges, etc., that's a different can of worms.

One fair shuffle, two piles dealt, no procedural "noise"... just pure effect.

I didn't make the first post to begin an argument. I was answering a question with my best response. I don't enjoy the arguments very much, even when I occasionally win; they turn my stomach. I'll leave "argument for argument's sake" to the smart alecs.

Posted: Mar 3, 2009 4:38am
Ran out of time to edit that last post. I know I haven't read every version, Scott, because I haven't read yours!

I know the evolution of OOTW isn't over. Combining the methods used in the versions which I first posted, I've put together a routine I enjoy. None of the methods are mine, just the presentation, which isn't unique enough to bother publishing.
Not trying to start an argument, just trying to clarify, as I said. Perhaps a different choice of words, such as "The ones I like best" or "these are my favorites."

The ONLY reason I even brought it up was because I thought that was what you meant and was just checking to make sure I was right in that regard. I've come across a few versions that I like much better than the ones you listed, and I personally have never cared for Galaxy because of the revelation. Personal preference, and like you said, not worth fighting about--it's just a bloody card trick, after all.
Agreed.

Yes, the revelation in Galaxy is too blurry, though sometimes I begin with Derren Brown's presentation and finish with Galaxy (sometimes an Eagle Eye walks in halfway-through who won't be misdirected, so I change course). I don't like doing it, and rarely have to, but I'm glad Galaxy is in my bag o' tricks. If I'm feeling less than confident, I prefer to compromise in the end than risk being caught outright.

Opening with a color-sensing routine like Sean Waters' "Beyond Touch" appeals to me. First I separate the colors, they're confounded... now they separate the colors, and we're all amazed at how well they've done.
[quote]
On 2009-02-20 15:20, MagicPresident wrote:
of this classic effect?
[/quote]
I know some books/documents compiling A LOT of the variations
of this classic effect:
I'm very sorry but I know only this sources in German:

Paul Curry: OUT OF THIS WORLD – AND BEYOND. German Issue, Zauber-Zentrale-München, 1975
This book of course must be published also in English!

Denis Behr: Außerirdisch. Paul Currys Klassiker und mehr. magische welt 51/2002, pp. 608 – 610 (German Journal)

Rudolf Bahlke, "OoTW" - Buch und Seminar, ca. 1983, Germany (OotW - book and lecture", with more then 30 variations).

Rudolf Bahlke, "OoTW" - lecture in 5 issues of the German Journal "Zauberkunst" in the 80s.

There is a great close-up variation by German Top Magician Axel Hecklau with a borrowed and shuffled deck in standing conditions (without table!) "OotW Xtrem".
http://www.stolina.de/cgi-bin/shop.pl?f=NR&c=2687&t=item_2002
I believe U.F. Grant had the first version of Out of this World with a shuffled deck. He sold it as a separate effect/manuscript.
Stewart James has some wonderful work on this plot.
We are touching the problem of crediting here.
On one hand Mike Ince is making a confusion about the fairness of crediting: he credits, as is often done, the author he learned something from without having taken the trouble to recheck if this source is the primary source. As such in his sincere desire to be fair, Mike spreads an erroneous information reinforcing a confusing rumor.

On the other hand Harry is using the term "Rip off" admitting that Lennart Green's variant is "not identical", which seems to me to be an oxymoron. Harry raise a question that he should clear for his own readers (and I'm a fanatic one) and the community here. What originality do you, Harry, claim with the Great Divide? Do you claim to be the first to have proposed a method for separating the colors in front of the spectators (in which case we might have an argument for Paul Curry does state in Out of This World and Beyond that this can and should be done) or do you claim for your original method (but then you state yourself that Lennart Green's method is "not identical"). Please precise, as one of the best card expert in the world, when a "variant" is, in your opinion, a "Rip Off", bearing in mind that with too wide an interpretation, more than 50% of Marlo's work could be classified as "Rip Off" and that your very interesting Out Of This Universe would be at risk of being classified as a "Rip Off" of Paul Curry's Out Of This World.

This is really an interesting topic and it's interesting to have your opinion on this difference between "Variant" and "Rip Off". Naturally I have an opinion which is that your Out Of This Universe is a "variation" or "original version" and that the Great Divide is a "variation" or "original version" for separating the red from the black cards. I also happen to think that Lennart Green is handling cards with the mind of a genius and the gestures of a bear. This prevents me of using most of his technique which cannot be easily adapted with a call for elegance and lightness. This however is apparently not a problem for the majority of magicians and jury who celebrate Lennart for his creativity. Even with this it seems to me that the term Rip Off should be replaced by "variant of the great divide" but since you Harry created the great divide and used the term Rip Off, the magical community needs a more precise complaint or claim on your part to be able to form an opinion and be able to credit innovators properly.

Posted: Mar 11, 2009 6:25am
Here is an updated bibliography of the OOTW effects more complete than the one referenced to in this thread:

Ackerman, Allan: Lecure notes : "wednesday nights" Allan has a nice handling about how to finish very clean on the Out of this world effect, and the effect his Doc Tarbell on out of this world. & Las Vegas Kardma A-1 MultiMedia, (1994), 176 pages. P. 156 - Out of this World #2000

Ammar, Michael. Easy To Master Card Miracles Volume 9 Impromptu, 1/2 Deck, OOTW Plus (Paul Curry, Harry Lorayne, Aldo Colombini, Michael Ammar) & Exciting World Of Magic: Out of This World (Paul Curry)

Andrus, Jerry: Out of this Universe.

Rudolf Bahlke, "OoTW" - Buch und Seminar, ca. 1983, Germany (OotW - book and lecture", with more then 30 variations). & "OoTW" - lecture in 5 issues of "Zauberkunst" (German magazine) in the 80s.

Baines, Dan: From Hell (especially when coupled with his modified "Book of Revelations", so as to fit the theme) is an great bit of business

Barnowski, Larry. Kindom of the Red Book and DVD

Barradell, Ian. Perfect World. JB Magic DVD

Beam, Steve. Semi Automatic Card Tricks 6 p 76 Curry Recipes, p 76 All is Right With the World (Steve Beam), p 78 World Series Fans (Steve Beam), p 82 World Class Joker (Steve Beam), p 86 Out of this Deck (Boris Wild), p 90 Rack and Bled (Lewis Jones), p 92 World Piece (Steve Beam), p 94 Worldly Processions (Steve Beam)

Beebe, Dr. Raymond L. An Impromptu “Out Of This World”. Hugard’s Magic Monthly & Out Of This World and Back. Hugard’s Magic Monthly

Denis Behr: Außerirdisch. Paul Currys Klassiker und mehr. Magische Welt (German magazine) 51/2002, pp. 608 – 610

Brown, Derren. Out of this World, explained in Devils Picture Book The Professional Card Repertoire of Derren Brown DVD. & “Undertaker” Pure effect Comments on doing the effect with other props than cards

Chanduri, Tony. Cross to the Feminine Side”. Ron Bauer "Private Studies" series (Nick Trost technical solution).

Chenevière, Stéphane. Altitude. very practical strolling Out of This World version adding a prediction to the colour separation.

Claire, Leslie: A Good Card Trick The Magic Wand October 1910. The effect is that magician picks out red cards or black cards from a well shuffled deck according to spectator's indication. If spectator says "Red", he correctly picks out a red card, or vice versa.
Any ordinary pack of cards can be used. After sorting out the Black cards from the Red, the Black cards are handed to the audience with a request that they see that they are all Black cards. These are taken back and the Red cards similarly handed over with a like request. Whilst spectator is looking at the Red cards, slightly bridge the Black cards which are held in the hand, and after receiving back the Red cards, all are well shuffled together and in this condition the full pack is placed face downwards on the table. It is now an easy matter to pick out whichever color is called for, as the Black cards are slightly bridged, whilst the Red ones lie flat on the table.

Colombini, Aldo. The Close Up Magic of Aldo Colombini p155 "Out of this Country", p158 "Out of Color", p159 "Out of Apocalypse", p162 "Half a World Away", p166 "Out of Suits" & Eurotour Lecture Notes year 1997 « It’s a small World » A powerful routine with a random distribution in four packs associated to shuffles.

Conn, Doug: Connsolidated Connundrums ©2006 Doug Conn; p 16 As The World Turns: An approach to Curry's Out of This World for three spectators

Cornelius, John. One way out of this world

Critchlow, Jim: White Star (2008) It's a classic routining with just one pile by spectator and a reject pile. The originality here is that the routine is not done with playing cards but with old photographs of passengers of the Titanic which have, printed on the back, some details about them and whether they "survived" or "died". Naturally one spectator ends up with only passengers who survived and the other one with passengers who died

Curry, Paul. Out of this World (1942) & Magician's Magic (Dover, 1965) in Chapter 13 p 239 Paul Curry, under the heading "Out of This World", states: "Here's a story about one of my best-known tricks. [Story about Winston Churchill omitted] What follows is an explanation -- appearing in a book for the first time -- of this same red-black trick that so thoroughly and repeatedly baffled Winston Churchill, as well as practically everyone else who has seen it performed. It's known to my friends and to magicians generally as "Out of This World." & Paul Curry Presents (1974) p 91 The "World" Revisited p 94 Best of Possible Worlds & Out of this World - and Beyond (1975) p. 1 Out of This World - And Beyond p 5 And Now - the Variations p 10 The Impromptu Methods p 16 Variations on the Effect p 17 Color Thot ( by Martin Gardner) & Out of This World - And Beyond German translation, Zauber-Zentrale-München, 1975 & Paul Curry's Worlds Beyond (2001) 382 pages Illustrated by Paul Curry p183 Out of This World p190 Best of Possible Worlds

Daley, Dr Jacob. Phoenix # 287 p 1146: Rouge et Noir

Dill, Dean & Weber, Michael: A New World. The Paul Curry classic to fool the ones “in the know” with special gaffs, secret marks, hidden codes, subtle cues, and a built-in memory-free version of the Aronson Stack. A New World relies on a heavily gimmicked deck. The handling of the deck is natural so it doesn’t call to itself. And the spectator can shuffle the deck with some management and direction from the performer. Throughout, casual but firm audience control is a must. The gimmicked deck removes the need to begin new piles in the middle and execute the switch at the end. On the downside, the outcome can only be displayed by the magician and you’re not left clean. “A New World” uses only half of the deck for the effect, which works well.

Domain P. Ibidem. Impromptu version

Draun, Steve. Secrets Draun From Underground (1993). 151 pages: p 133 Worldly Things (by: Steven Draun) & Standing Room Only : Volume 2 If you could accomplish this classic effect by real magic, it might look very much like this - the clean-up is that good

Falkenstein and Willard. Out of this World. Masters of Mental Magic DVD Vol 3

Fulves, Karl. Even Money Proposition Pallbearer’s Review

Gardner, Martin. Martin Gardner Presents by Mathew Field, Mark Philips, Harvey Rosenthal and Max Maven Published by Richard Kaufman and Alan Greenberg (1993) 425 pages. p65 Out of This World Tip (Paul Curry), p65 Another Out of This World, p67 A New Way Out of This World

Gordon, Paul. The Eradicator" from Card Conjuring

Grant U.F. Nu-Way Out of this World Out of this world...and beyond by Paul Curry. P 13: U.F Grant’s version starting with a shuffled deck. The favorite method of famous magicians like Pete Biro

Green, Lennart. The Green Angel Separation. Page 15 Out of this World; Page 16 Out of this Break & Out of this Green World. Green Magic Volume: 2 & Out of Sweden. The Looking Glass (Spring 1996) p. 60: The spectator deals the cards, one pile has all the red cards and the second has all of the black cards. Then the performer sets aside a black card then shows the rest of the cards are red. Then the red cards vanish and you are left with the black cards

Guimaraes Helder. Out of this Water. Small Miracles (Penguin)

Guinn, Scott F: Great Scott! It's a Magic Lecture! Practical, Commercial Magic with Cards, Coins, and Other Things ©2000 Scott Guinn. p 12 What in the World? Out of this world variation

Harris, Paul & Jone, Wyman : Galaxy. The Art of Astonishment book 3 p 253 “Galaxy”

Axel Hecklau "OotW Xtrem".OOTW performed with a borrowed and shuffled deck in standing conditions (without table) http://www.stolina.de/cgi-bin/shop.pl?f=NR&c=2687&t=item_2002

Jermays, Luke.

Kennedy, John: Intuition. Card College Light by Roberto Giobbi (three piles red black and wrong) & “Red and Black”. Genii Magazine March 1989 p. 560-562

Longe, Bob. Get Out of this World. The World’s best card tricks

Loomis, Dennis. Out of My Mind. http://www.loomismagic.com/memdeck21.php.

Lorayne, Harry: Out Of The Universe in Close Up Card Magic (1962) p 80 Impromptu Out Of This World in My Favorite card tricks (1965: Lou Tannen). & My Favorite Card Tricks section of The Classic Collection, Vol. 1. Harry’s take with a shuffled deck which has a nice, simple fix at the end & Out of this Universe. Close up card magic and in & Out Of This Galaxy. Trendsetters & The Classic Collection, Vol. 1. Harry’s impromptu Out of this World is there, re-written, updated & Best Ever Collection DVD #2. Out of This Universe & The Great Divide 1972 manuscript

MacTier, Arthur F. Card Concepts (2000) by Lewis Davenport Limited P. 230 ..... Out of Gilbreath's World

McCabe, Pete. Scripting Magic

Marlo, Ed. “Out of This World Handling” Ibidem Volume 2. P. 582 & “Three Trips to Out Of This World” Marlo’s Magazine Volume: 6 p. 221

Martinez, Daryl. Out of this Hemisphere (1989) 10 Pages Out of this Hemisphere

Mendoza, John. Mendoza’s Out Of This World. Live and Personal DVD

Muller, Reinhard. Out of my Mind. Spell-Binder Magazine. Digital edition by Martin Breese http://www.martinbreese.com/cdroms.htm

Ouellet, Gary. Netherworld. Close Up Illusions (1990) 350 pages Chapter 30: Netherworld

Prost, Jean Yves. Variations sur un thème classique. Arcane N° 13 and 14: Robert Harbin and Martin Gardner versions & Georges Pouleau (Diavol) and U.F. Grant variants.

Racherbaumer, Jon. Sticks & Stones Number 1: Subconscious is achieved with a stripper deck.

Regal, David. Out of This Borough. Constant Fooling 2 (2002) Murphy's Magic Supplies, Inc. p 83 Out of this Borough & Tricks, More Tricks, Enough with the Tricks Already! DVD #3

Richardson, Barrie. Theatre of the Mind Page 76 When Worlds Collide & Act Two.

Reed, Harry & Arlane (Ed Turner). World Out Of This (Joker) World by Mike Rogers http://www.stevensmagic.com/gemini/Mike%20Rogers/OutOfThisJokerWorld.

Rostami, Greg. Cosmos DVD From a deck shuffled by the spectators the cards are dealt in two rows (no stop half way through) and the reds are on one side and the black on the other. The performer can secretly know the red ones from the black ones either by opposite bends in the cards or by an edge mark on both sides near the middle.

Sanderson, George P. Right Under Their Noses 1977 Micky Hades International, Canada p. 23: Thanks to Paul Curry: Another approach to Curry's Out of this World. Does not provide the entire routine, but only an improved approach to revealing the two packets

Sankey, Jay. Dowsing. Bonus effects on 3 Ring Circus & 22 Blows to the Head. Confession

Scarne, John. Scarne on Card Tricks (Dover, 1950) has the trick as #155, the last one in the book, and introduces it like this: "A card trick in which the spectator mysteriously separates the red-face cards from the black-face cards. A top creation by the author, who has kept the method a secret for many years."

Skinner, Michael. Classic Sampler p 84: Rouge et Noir

Stewart, James. Curryculum The James File Vol 1; p 1186

Swain, James: Out of this World Miracles With Cards © 1996. p 12

Taylor, Boin. Out Of Town. Spell-Binder

Tremaine, John. Amazing Secrets of Magic and Card Tricks

Trost, Nick. Red Or Black - Which? The Card Magic of Nick Trost

Wagner J.C. Prediction out of this world: The Commercial Magic of J.C. Wagner, Mike Maxwell, 1987 & More Commercial Magic DVD Prediction Out Of This World

Weigle, Oscar. Further Out Of This World Phoenix 1949 # 182 July 29 Advertisement but the explanation is so far unpublished

Zavis, William. Phoenix # 293 p 1172 and # 299 p 1196

Zimmerman, Richard. Way Out Of this World
I have a few dozen copies of Paul Curry's instructions that were printed by Jim Swoger for paul Curry
Awesome Lawrence. Thanks so much.
For those that are interested, Paul curry's original 3-page booklet can be found here for $4 (eBook):

http://www.lybrary.com/this-world-p-7610.html

Posted: Mar 21, 2009 5:53pm
For an impromptu version, I suggest that you check Ulysses Frederick Grant's "Nu Way Out Of This World" . As far as I know, it is very similar to Harry Lorayne's version :

http://www.lybrary.com/this-world-p-3146.html
Seems as if I never got around to answering you, Lawrence. Sorry. So far as I know my The Great Divide is an entirely original method for separating the colors under the spectators' noses during one run-through of the deck, as if counting the cards or looking for a particular card or cards. Perhaps people used the Biddle count for that, but I'm no historian, so don't know, but in any case, that'd be a lousy way to do it - I'm referring to a NATURAL way. Over the decades, I sold many
thousands of my original m/s - in those early days, I alwlays demo'd and sold it (it's copyrighted 1972); it's been written about, etc. And over the decades, NOBODY has EVER told me that it was similar to anything else.

Now, when I say "rip-off," I mean just that. RIP-OFF, not a "variant." I've written this often, and I hate to be redundant here, but...In the 1970s I lectured throught Scandinavia. At EVERY one of them, starting in Stockholm, I saw the same guy in front, watching me intently - I mean, at EVERY lecture I did in Scandinavia. And, he sure as **** perked up, leaned forward when I performed a routine with a borrowed, shuffled deck, where I did The Great Divide. And, not too long afterward, Lennart came out with his "angle" thing - an obvious, to those who know, rip-off; no credit, no nothing. "It's not identical" in so far as that it is NOWHERE as good. (I've been told this hundreds, if not thousands, of times by people who know, have tried/used both.) He obviously tried to be "identical" in so far as it's supposed to simply look a "normal" run-through of the deck. I really don't know how else to answer you, Lawrence. Lennart is one **** of a cardman, probably one of the best around today - but, he blantantly RIPPED-OFF my The Great Divide. Hope I've answered your question(s). Best - HARRY LORAYNE.
Hi Harry.

Yes you did answer the question and waved any possible doubt any one of us here might have kept on this matter.
Knowing both versions with their differences as well as similarities, I thought it was not superfluous to have a deeper knowledge of the facts giving ground to the reason for your earlier and repeated statement: it was a rip-off.

Best
Lawrence
A few years ago I went through a period where I became obsessed with learning variations of OOTW in an attempt to determine which one was "best." After evaluating a number of variants, I decided to show my wife several versions with the performances done one right after the other. When I was done, I asked her which version was best. She gave me a confused look and then said, "I thought you just performed the same trick over and over." My obsession with OOTW ended right there. I concluded that it does not matter which version you perform; to the laymen they are all the same. I settled on Galaxy and Lorayne's Impromptu OOTW as my favorites and moved on.
Phew! I'm not the only one guy with this twisted idea...

Seriously I don't want to know which version is the best, but I find very interesting to study many approaches to this very entertaining trick.

Lawrence O, when you write:

[quote]Kennedy, John: Intuition. Card College Light by Roberto Giobbi (three piles red black and wrong) & “Red and Black”. Genii Magazine March 1989 p. 560-562[/quote]
does this mean that "Red and Black" by Jonh Kennedy has been renamed (and of course, "dissected") by Roberto Giobbi in its "Card College Light"? Or did Kennedy himself use the name "Intuition" at some point?

And I guess this has nothing to do with "Intuition" by Nick Trost, right?
Etienne,

Thank you for your impressive list of OOTW variations.

I believe you own a copy of my book 'Noetic License' (Book Three in the Act-series) which contains my impromptu, self-working OOTW presentation called "Welcome To My World". WTMW begins with an unprepared deck. The guest shuffles the cards three times during the presentation...but still the colors separate.

Is it possible to have WTMW included on your list as well?

Thank you again for your astute research, E.

Warm regards,
Mick
Mick
First I'm not a guru of anything: thus I don't own "my" lists. It is not for me to decide who should be there and who shouldn't. Admittedly there are limits to variants; but the lists were basically issued for me to study an effect before creating my own (I hate reinventing the wheel). Hence they're just imperfect but time saving tools that I thought could help and was prepared to share with other magicians. They are not setting rules and if something is missing, it doesn't mean it is excluded, it simply means that I missed it. Naturally thanks to posts by other magicians, my lists get better and better over time.
Now, Mike, please accept my apology for the lack of update mentioning your work on the effect that, yes, I bought and read (but I had a computer crash and could only find the Noetic License (Addendum)) and that was not included in the updated list. what the list reads like as of today for your contribution to OOTW is as follows:
Ayres, Mike. Noetic Licence. Out Of My World; and Welcome To My World impromptu, self-working OOTW presentation
... and I remember that it's an interesting work.

Now as far as Vincent (Bikoz) question is concerned. "Red and Black" by John Kennedy has been nicely reworked by Roberto Giobbi (a genius who really understand magic) and I do not remember about the word "Intuition" because I keep several lists and I'm more interested in the script (when available) and the method than in the variants in trick names (but I should).
Etienne,

I am grateful. Thank you. Your outstanding contributions on the Café are a referencing education for conjurors.

Warm regards,
Mick

PS: Check your email inbox. I am happy to replace your lost books.
There is a book entitiled Best of All Worlds coming out later this year which is an EXTENSIVE compilation of the different routines from TOP name magicians. Not only will it have routines, but thoughts on OOTW, Improvements, unpublished versions and MUCH MORE!

HUGE BOOK...stay tuned...
Thanks, Lawrence O, but please use instead of:
"Muller, Reinhard. Out of my Mind. Spell-Binder Magazine. Digital edition by Martin Breese http://www.martinbreese.com/cdroms.htm"
"Mueller, Reinhard" [originally Müller, Reinhard] I know that Stephen Tucker always wrongly wrote "Muller".
Lawrence ), I have a version in my first book, "The King Has Left the Building...With Amnesia" called "Two Degrees of Separation"

Thanks
Jeff Pierce
Thank you Jeff

I also found another very interesting version by [b]Tom Salinsky[/b] of the UK called [b]"Order This World"[/b] which Tom was kind enough to send me a copy of. He is using a corner short where I would use a breather but this makes no difference as his variant is much further than the other versions than this trifle.
I've seen a number of variations of OOTW which I perform as well as OOTU. To make it easy to spot the point of the colour change, I use Bicycle League Back cards. They are a very clear one-way back design for magicians & the top cards can be any way round but then a run of about 6 the same way round leads up to the next reversed back which is the first of the new colour. It saves counting or face up cards & should never be spotted as the 2nd half of the pack can be completely random.
Don't know why I feel inclined to write here, haven't posted in years, but you guys may enjoy thinking about this: This effect can be done without a table. The spectator shuffles a normal pack and deals them into the performers right and left hand; the performer then places the piles into the spectators hands and the colors are shown to be separated. No need for a table. Does anyone else do this trick w/o a table?
Dealing onto the spectators hand? A full deck? Too risky....

OK - they have their hands full... but the number of times a spec will drop the cards..and then what? There's no recovery from that.

Regards,

DCB
The German Top Magician Axel Hecklau does OOTW with a borrowed and shuffled deck in standing conditions (without table!) "OotW Xtrem". He handles the spectator very carefull.
In my version the spectator deals in my hands.
And then I deal the the cards face up into the spectator hands to show the separation - there is no danger because the job for the spectator is to separate the colors without looking. Additional there is no need for the spectator to look, because just a moment before he had seen the shuffeled deck.
I will publish my version soon in english language - I am working on the translation from my German lecture notes in the moment.
Axel's routine is excellent. You'll find a further handling (good for platform also)in Doc Dixon's "MonkeyShines" Volume 2 ("Out of this Platform"). Jan
Looking in Denis Behr list I found several OOTW versions I had missed: he should have chance to update "my" list (not really mine) himself to gain the credit. I'll only do it if he doesn't have the time.
Thanks to Denis Behr, I realized that Juan Tamariz's fabulous work published in Sonata had not been included in the list.

Tamariz, Juan: Música Bruja I: Sonata ©1989: Escorial-76 splits the four suites instead of just the 2 colors by a very simple and deceiving method of dealing second, third or fourth; Half-Escorial half the cards dealt face up, half face down, the color of the backs of the face up cards change, the face down cards are sorted in order as in Escorial-76; Short Version; Stage version of Escorial 76 & Sonata ©1991 Editorial Frakson p 172: Escorial-76; p 180 Half-Escorial; p 185 Short Version; p 188 Stage version of Escorial 76 & Sonata (French Translation) ©1997 Académie De Magie Georges Proust p 196 Escorial-76; p 207 Demi Escorial; p 212 Version Courte; p 216 Variante Pour la Scène.

The contribution of another genius was also missing
Elmsley, Alex: The Collected works of Alex Elmsley Vol 2 p 48: It’s A Small World offers a 10 cards version; p 51: Halfway To Heaven. The effect is involving with only a few cards.

also Nick Trost's work on OOTW was incomplete
Trost, Nick. The New Tops, N° 9 September 1972. Red or Black - Which ? & The Card Magic of Nick Trost. 1997 p. 28: Red Or Black - Which? This variant uses only 17 cards, and stems from Karl Fulves’ Even Money Proposition published on page 257 of The Pallbearers Review, Vol. 4, N° 7 May 1969 & Subtle Card Creations - Vol 1 p 14: Ultimate "Even Money" – Improved

So was Lennart Green's
Green, Lennart. The Green Angel Separation. p. 15 Out Of This World; p. 16 Out of this Break & Green Magic Vol. 2: Out of this Green World. &. The Looking Glass ©1996 p. 60: Out Of Sweden. The spectator deals the cards, one pile has all the red cards and the second has all of the black cards. Then the performer sets aside a black card then shows the rest of the cards are red. Then the red cards vanish and you are left with the black cards.

So was J. K Hartman's work
Hartman, J.K. Card Dupery. Red and black. A spectator is asked to separate a mixed deck into black cards and reds, dealing the cards face up, but with his eyes closed. When he opens them, he sees what everyone else has been watching: the piles he has created are a random jumble of colors and he has utterly failed… or has he? The performer reveals that he had assembled the cards from two decks and his helper has somehow perfectly separated the cards by their different back patterns & Apocalypse Vol. 1-5 p 582 Hue View: a version involving 20 cards & Apocalypse Vol. 11-15 p 1799: The Whole World In His Hands

Buckley, Arthur: Card Control p 105: Buckley’s idea consists in performing Out Of This World with bottom deals.

Cavett, Dick: Apocalypse Vol. 6-10 p 1020: A Bit for "Out of this Universe"

Garcia, Frank Super Subtle Card Miracles p 109: Oops again

Mentzer, Jerry: Card Cavalcade Vol 4 Out Of This World variation
On top of Denis Behr's important contribution, I've found two more references

Mann, Al: Brainbusters '83 ©1983 p 8: The Sealed Ootw; p 11: The framed Ootw

Tucker, Stephen: Abacus Vol 6 issue 3 Nov 1997 (Al Smith’s magazine): Out of His Dimension. The cards are dealt face up in random order but when turned over the spectator finds out that he has split red backed and blue backed cards.
ANother one with
Dowden; Matthew J.: 1 Deck 14 Tricks 24 Hours Vol. 2 DVD ; Out Of This World: a streamlined version that's so easy to do
And one more
Dobrowski, Tom: OIATER; 47 pages manuscript on Oil and water but, as a bonus, Tom includes his follow-up routine, an efficient and logical handling of Curry’s Out of This World that eliminates OOTW’s too-perfect caveat while still maintaining the spectator based sorting of the cards
In a PM that hee sent me Bikoz kindly mentioned
Andrew Murray: 13 Professional Magic Card Tricks (DVD). Andrew’s handling of the famous Paul Curry routine
The recording of Out Of This World effects also got completed on other threads, so by now the list reads

Bibliography on out of this world

Ackerman, Allan: Lecture notes : "wednesday nights" Allan has a nice handling about how to finish very clean on the Out of this world effect, and the effect his Doc Tarbell on out of this world. & Las Vegas Kardma A-1 MultiMedia, (1994), 176 pages. p. 156 - Out of this World #2000.

Ammar, Michael. Easy To Master Card Miracles Volume 9 Impromptu, 1/2 Deck, OOTW Plus (Paul Curry, Harry Lorayne, Aldo Colombini, Michael Ammar) & Exciting World Of Magic DVD: Out of This World (Paul Curry)

Andrus, Jerry: Lifetime of Magic: Out of this Universe.

Armstrong, Jon: Armstrong Card Magic Vol 3 DVD. Out of this Blah - the Out of this World routine that Andi Gladwin has used for years, since Jon originally taught it him. It fools everyone.

Ayres, Mick: Noetic License p 30: Out Of My World (Book Three in the Act-series) 2008; and Welcome To My World impromptu, self-working OOTW presentation. A great approach to the effect by a very practical magician

Bahlke, Rudolf. "OoTW" - Buch und Seminar [OotW - book and lecture], ca. 1983, Germany Out of this World with more than 30 variations. & Zauberkunst (German Magazine) "OoTW" - lecture spread over 5 issues.

Baines, Dan: From Hell (marketed deck) Lebanon Circle Magik Co, London. Out of this world gets into bizarre magic with a deck referring to Jack The Ripper.

Barnowski, Larry. Kindom of the Red Book and DVD 2007. Chapter 1 p 15: Alignment of Colors At Montauk Point is also explained in detail on the companion DVD. A card is selected freely. The deck is riffle shuffled by the spectator and cards are divided up into 8 piles as per the spectator's intuition regarding the colors with half face up and half face down. These piles of cards are shuffled face up and face down until only one mixed pile is left. At the conclusion, all the face up cards on one side are black and all the face up cards are the other side are red except for one: the chosen card. Larry uses both the Gilbreath Principle and the Parity Principle to accomplish the effect.

Barradell, Ian. Perfect World DVD by J.B. Magic. Very clean Out of this World effects: the part of the routine that leaves all others standing is that the piles of cards are turned over in the cleanest and fairest possible way and spread, every red card is in the red pile and every black card is in the black pile.

Beam, Steve. Semi Automatic Card Tricks 6 p 76 Curry Recipes, p 76 All is Right With the World (Steve Beam), p 78 World Series Fans (Steve Beam), p 82 World Class Joker (Steve Beam), p 86 Out of this Deck (Boris Wild), p 90 Rack and Bled (Lewis Jones), p 92 World Piece (Steve Beam), p 94 Worldly Processions (Steve Beam)

Beebe, Dr. Raymond L. Hugard’s Magic Monthly. An Impromptu “Out Of This World”. & Hugard’s Magic Monthly Out Of This World and Back.

Behr, Denis: Magische Welt (German magazine) 51/2002 pp. 608 – 610: Außerirdisch [Out of the world]. Paul Curry’s classic and more.

Brown, Derren., Devils Picture Book The Professional Card Repertoire of Derren Brown DVD. Out of this World & Pure effect “Undertaker”Comments on doing the effect with other props than cards

Buckley, Arthur: Card Control p 105: Buckley’s idea consists in performing Out Of This World with bottom deals.

Cavett, Dick: Apocalypse Vol. 6-10 p 1020: A Bit for "Out of this Universe"

Chanduri, Tony. Cross to the Feminine Side. Ron Bauer "Private Studies" series (Nick Trost technical approach).

Chenevière, Stéphane. Altitude. very practical strolling Out of This World version adding a prediction to the color separation.

Claire, Leslie: The Magic Wand ©October 1910. A Good Card Trick. The effect is that magician picks out red cards or black cards from a well shuffled deck according to spectator's indication. If spectator says "Red", he correctly picks out a red card, or vice versa.
Any ordinary pack of cards can be used. After sorting out the Black cards from the Red, the Black cards are handed to the audience with a request that they see that they are all Black cards. These are taken back and the Red cards similarly handed over with a like request. Whilst spectator is looking at the Red cards, slightly bridge the Black cards which are held in the hand, and after receiving back the Red cards, all are well shuffled together and in this condition the full pack is placed face downwards on the table. It is now an easy matter to pick out whichever color is called for, as the Black cards are slightly bridged, whilst the Red ones lie flat on the table.

Colombini, Aldo. The Close Up Magic of Aldo Colombini p 155 "Out of this Country", p 158 "Out of Color", p 159 "Out of Apocalypse", p 162 "Half a World Away", p 166 "Out of Suits" & Direct Hits Aldo Colombini Lecture Notes ©1996 & Eurotour Lecture Notes year 1997 « It’s a small World » A powerful routine with a random distribution in four packs associated to shuffles. 2000 translation by Richard Vollmer in The very best of Aldo Colombini, p. 8 & Magic Italian Style VHS or DVD. Out Of This Boat. Aldo's version of Paul Curry’s Out Of This World. A spectator separates every card in the deck: very clean - no switches.

Conn, Doug: Linking Ring Vol 77 N° 8, August 1997 & Conn-Juring Notes Prestidigitation, Legerdemain, & Other Unique Entertainments ©2004 p 34 As the World Re-Turns: Yet another variation on Paul Curry's Out of this World, this one with two spectators & Connsolidated Connundrums ©2006 Doug Conn; p 16 As The World Turns: An approach to Curry's Out of This World for the performer and two spectators.

Cornelius, John. Lecture Notes. One Way Out Of This World is achieved as the name indicates by using one way cards like the Bicycle League backs.

Critchlow, Jim: White Star (marketed routine ©2008) It's a classic routining with just one pile made by a spectator and a reject pile. The originality here is that the routine is not done with playing cards but with old photographs of passengers of the Titanic which have, printed on the back, some details about them and whether they "survived" or "died". Naturally one spectator ends up with only passengers who survived and the other one with passengers who died

Curry, Paul. Out of this World ©1942: 3 pages description. Available from & Magician's Magic ©1965 Frankling Watts Inc, and Dover reprint; in Chapter 13 p 239 Paul Curry, under the heading "Out of This World", states: "Here's a story about one of my best-known tricks. [Story about Winston Churchill omitted] What follows is an explanation -- appearing in a book for the first time -- of this same red-black trick that so thoroughly and repeatedly baffled Winston Churchill, as well as practically everyone else who has seen it performed. It's known to my friends and to magicians generally as "Out of This World." & Paul Curry Presents ©1974 p 91 The "World" Revisited p 94 Best of Possible Worlds & Out of this World - and Beyond ©1975 p. 1 Out of This World - And Beyond p 5 And Now - the Variations p 10 The Impromptu Methods p 16 Variations on the Effect p 17 Color Thot ( by Martin Gardner) & Out of this World - and Beyond ©1975 German Issue, Zauber-Zentrale-München & with Ulysses F . Grant: Mastering The Art Of Magic p 150: Out Of This World: considerations on the weak points of the method & Paul Curry's Worlds Beyond ©2001. 382 pages Illustrated by Paul Curry p183 Out of This World p190 Best of Possible Worlds

Daley, Dr Jacob. Phoenix # 287 p 1146: Rouge et Noir

DeLong, Aaron. Believe DVD White Trash. The cards are separated face down in three piles, red, black and trash Thanks to the Hummer deck when the cards are turned face up, not only did they separate but the trash pile is made of white cards.

Dill, Dean & Weber, Michael: A New World (Marketed effect ©2006) The Paul Curry classic to fool the ones “in the know” with special gaffs, secret marks, hidden codes, subtle cues, and a built-in memory-free version of the Aronson Stack. A New World relies on a heavily gimmicked deck. The handling of the deck is natural so it doesn’t call to itself. And the spectator can shuffle the deck with some management and direction from the performer. Throughout, casual but firm audience control is a must. The gimmicked deck removes the need to begin new piles in the middle and execute the switch at the end. On the downside, the outcome can only be displayed by the magician and you’re not left clean. “A New World” uses only half of the deck for the effect, which works well.

Dixon, Chris “Doc”. Monkey Shines Vol. 2 ©2009: Out of this Platform is based on Axel Hecklau’s work and offers a hilarious “platform” presentation for the classic Out Of This World.

Dobrowski, Tom: OIATER; 47 pages manuscript on Oil and water but, as a bonus, Tom includes his follow-up routine, an efficient and logical handling of Curry’s Out of This World that eliminates OOTW’s too-perfect caveat while still maintaining the spectator based sorting of the cards

Domain, P. Ibidem.#14 September 1958 p 19: Whose World? is an impromptu Out Of This World version. Translated in French in The Very Best Of Ibidem ©1990 p. 49-50 as Out of This World.

Dowden; Matthew J.: 1 Deck 14 Tricks 24 Hours Vol. 2 DVD ; Out Of This World: a streamlined version that's so easy to do

Draun, Steve. At the Table by Jon Racherbaumer ©1984. p. 62: Getting On With This World de Steve Draun. Interesting strolling version using a Stripper Deck. & Secrets Draun From Underground ©1993. 151 pages: p 133 Worldly Things (by: Steven Draun) & Standing Room Only: Volume 2 If you could accomplish this classic effect by real magic, it might look very much like this - the clean-up is that good.

Elmsley, Alex: The Collected works of Alex Elmsley Vol 2 p 48: It’s A Small World offers a 10 cards version; p 51: Halfway To Heaven. The effect is involving with only a few cards.

Falkenstein and Willard. Masters of Mental Magic Vol 3 DVD. Out Of This World: tests the spectator’s ESP ability with this classic card routine.

Frazier, John S. The Linking Ring Vol. 26 N° 2 April 1946. p 54: A New Variation of Out of This World. This version attempts to avoid having to do the set up and proposes a solution for the final adjustment.

Fulves, Karl. Pallbearer’s Review. Vol. 4, N° 7 May 1969 Even Money Proposition. A version which became the seed of several others by magicians like Ed Marlo, Nick Trost… & with Ed Marlo: The Unexpected Card Book by Karl Fulves p 92: Lose or Win Proposition; p 97: Favourite Routine and Procedure. 16 cards, variation on Karl Fuves' "Even Money Proposition"

Garcia, Frank Super Subtle Card Miracles p 109: Oops again

Gardner, Martin. The Pallbearers Review Vol.7, N° 4 February 1972. p. 488 Color Thot. & Martin Gardner Presents by Mathew Field, Mark Philips, Harvey Rosenthal and Max Maven Published by Richard Kaufman and Alan Greenberg 1993 425 pages. p 65 Out of This World Tip (Paul Curry), p 65 Another Out of This World, p 67 A New Way Out of This World

Gibson, Walter. The Phoenix N° 1 January 1942, page 1. Pay Off. This is the trick that John Scarne and Paul Curry tired to work on when Paul Curry found a fairly different effect with Out of This World. Actually Leslie Claire in 1910 had already found a very advanced version of an effect very close to OOTW.

Giobbi, Roberto. Card College Light, p. 9 “Intuition” & Roberto light (French version), p. 22: “Intution”. Both are Roberto’s version of John Kennedy’s routine. Roberto has several other more advanced routine that he performs but never published.

Gordon, Paul. England Up-Close ©2006 by Peter Duffie. p 119: The Eradicator & Card Conjuring ©2006. The Eradicator: 19 of the effects were previously published in Peter Duffie's England Up-Close, while the rest are brand new.

Grant, Ulysses Frederick. Nu Way Out Of This World ©1943. 4 pages. Hard to find, but download is available from Lybrary.com. The version starting with a shuffled deck preferred by many stars in magic & Nu-Way Out of this World Out of this world...and beyond by Paul Curry. p 13: U.F Grant’s version starting with a shuffled deck. The favorite method of famous magicians like Pete Biro

Green, Lennart. The Green Angel Separation. p. 15 Out Of This World; p. 16 Out of this Break & Green Magic Vol. 2: Out of this Green World. &. The Looking Glass ©1996 p. 60: Out Of Sweden. The spectator deals the cards, one pile has all the red cards and the second has all of the black cards. Then the performer sets aside a black card then shows the rest of the cards are red. Then the red cards vanish and you are left with the black cards.

Guimaraes Helder. Small Miracles DVD by Penguin. Out of this Water includes shuffle sequences and does two things to speed it up. We deal two cards to the table at a time and say that one is red and one is black. We only go through half the deck and then reveal that the other half, previously placed in the card box after the shuffle, has divided in reds and blacks in a kind of oil-and-water kicker.

Guinn, Scott F: Great Scott! It's a Magic Lecture! Practical, Commercial Magic with Cards, Coins, and Other Things ©2000 Scott Guinn. p 12 What in the World? Very smart Out of this world variation by a performing pro and very good mind.

Harris, Paul: Magical Art Journal 1987 Galaxy & Arcane N° 66 (French magazine April 1992), “Spéciale Paul Harris”, p. 2 to 5: Galaxie. & with Jones, Wyman : The Art of Astonishment book 3 p. 253: Galaxy. The spectator shuffles the cards; only a portion of the deck is used in the final deal, making it less drawn out than other variations. The final deal is to only two packs. It does not have the "Stop- now let’s make two more piles" aspect. The display at the end is simple and logical.

Hartman, J.K. Card Dupery. Red and black. A spectator is asked to separate a mixed deck into black cards and reds, dealing the cards face up, but with his eyes closed. When he opens them, he sees what everyone else has been watching: the piles he has created are a random jumble of colors and he has utterly failed… or has he? The performer reveals that he had assembled the cards from two decks and his helper has somehow perfectly separated the cards by their different back patterns & Apocalypse Vol. 1-5 p 582 Hue View: a version involving 20 cards & Apocalypse Vol. 11-15 p 1799: The Whole World In His Hands

Hecklau, Axel. Details. 2008. Out Of This World Xtrem: Strolling (without table!) with a borrowed and shuffled deck & Lecture Notes June 2009: Out Of This World Xtrem

Herron, Carl “Shadowland”. The Devil Of A Bar And Pub. Leaping Lizards Magic. Bubby Escapes: After he lost his soul in a Three Card Monte, Bubby wins BACK his soul with a variation on Out Of This World that is very out of the ordinary. The devil must deal the cards face up ot the right or to the left, he must avoid any logical arrangement of cards. When the cards are turned and their backs shown, Bubby is saved.

James, Stewart. The James File Vol 1; p 1186: Curryculum

Jermay, Luke. Building Blocks Building Blocks ©2003 by Alakazam magic publication p 128: Out Of This World, with a borrowed deck, with no set-up, no sleights or switches. This is the real work on the verbal control of a spectator and a very interesting attempt at using suggestion in the frame of Paul Curry's effect.

Kennedy, John: Genii Magazine March 1989 p. 560-562 “Red and Black”. & Card College Light by Roberto Giobbi p 9 “Intuition” makes us do three piles: red, black, and wrong. Anything that Roberto chooses is highly practical and John is a mind in its own world: a double quality seal.

Longe, Bob. The World’s best card tricks. Get Out of this World.

Loomis, Dennis. http://www.loomismagic.com/memdeck21.php. Out of My Mind.

Lorayne, Harry: Close Up Card Magic ©1962 p 80 Out Of The Universe & My Favorite card tricks ©1965 by Lou Tannen. Impromptu Out Of This World & Deck-Sterity ©1967 by Tannen. Out of this World Impromptu, and Out of this World Memory & The Very Best Of Harry Lorayne ©1977 Ed. Magix. French translation by Richard Vollmer, three variants: p. 1 to 9: Out of the Universe. p. 10 to 15: Out of this World Impromptu, and p. 16 to 19: Out of this World Memory & The Classic Collection Vol. 1. My Favorite Card Tricks section: Harry’s impromptu Out of this World is there, re-written and updated; this is Harry’s take with a shuffled deck which has a nice, simple fix at the end & Trendsetters. Out of this Universe, and Out Of This Galaxy. & Best Ever Collection DVD #2. Out of This Universe: one of Harry’s pride.

MacTier, Arthur F. Card Concepts ©2000 by Lewis Davenport Limited p. 230 ..... Out of Gilbreath's World: this allows to show that the spectator shuffles the deck himself just before getting into this variant of Paul Curry’s effect

McCabe, Pete. Scripting Magic Let’s use this superb work to rewrite a script for whatever variant of the effect that we do.

Magic East Neo Classic - out of this world (chinese); recorded by Foxy Prince in his DVD collection [I don’t know this routine which I found referenced in the collection of a Chinnese collector].

Mann, Al: Brainbusters “83 ©1983 p 8: The Sealed Ootw; p 11: The framed Ootw

Marlo, Ed. Ibidem Vol. 2 # 25 May 1962 p. 582 “Out of This World Handling”. & Marlo’s Magazine Vol. 6 p. 221 “Three Trips to Out Of This World” covers actually five methods, one using 3 decks (single color deck approach) & The Unexpected Card Book by Karl Fulves p 96: The Gaffed Proposition. 16 cards, variation on Karl Fuves' "Even Money Proposition"

Martinez, Daryl. Out of this Hemisphere ©1989, 10 pages. Out of this Hemisphere is a packet version, including a lot of Variations and Additions including Daryl’s exceptional gift for patter lines.

Mendoza, John. Live and Personal DVD Mendoza’s Out Of This World: A spectator deals a deck into two random piles. When the cards are spread face up they are seen separated into reds and blacks

Mentzer, Jerry: Card Cavalcade Vol 4 Out Of This World variation

Montier, Liam: The Wicked World of Liam Montier Vol 1 DVD: Out of This World - 999

Müller, Reinhard. Spell-Binder Magazine. Digital edition by Martin Breese http://www.martinbreese.com/cdroms.htm: Out of my Mind & Arcane p 147: Out of the Escorial I; p 149 Out of the Escorial II the cards are sorted in four suites; p 150 Gilbreath in the Escorial

Murray, Andrew. 13 Professional Magic Card Tricks DVD. Impromptu Out of this world

Ouellet, Gary. Close Up Illusions ©1990 Chapter 30: Netherworld

Owen, Anthony: The Dungeon ©1993 Out Of My Mind & Magic (magazine) December 2006: Out Of My Mind. For a long time Anthony Owen had an affection for Paul Curry's Out of this World. It's probably his favorite piece of mentalism. Like so many, he has toyed with "improving" the method and has come up with a number of different versions. While he doesn't think that any of them are necessarily better than Curry's original, they all have different advantages to the effect. This one is novel and has a couple of nice surprise moments for those who know the original version

Pierce, Jeff. The King Has Left the Building...With Amnesia ©2004. Two Degrees of Separation suggests an Out of This World performed with two spectators at the same time.

Prost, Jean Yves. Arcane N° 13 and 14 ©1979 p 3 to 7: Variations sur un thème classique [Variations on a classical theme]: Robert Harbin and Martin Gardner versions as well as Georges Pouleau (Diavol) and U.F. Grant variants.

Racherbaumer Jon. Sticks & Stones Nbr 1 (magazine):"Subconscious" is performed with a Stripper deck.

Regal, David. Constant Fooling 2. ©2002 Murphy's Magic Supplies, Inc. p 83 Out of this Borough & Tricks, More Tricks, Enough with the Tricks Already! DVD #3. Out of this Borough

Richardson, Barrie. Theatre of the Mind p 76 When Worlds Collide & Act Two. Another Reed, Harry

Robinson, Fred. The Magic Of Fred Robinson by Peter Duffie ©2009 p 202: Spectator Magician Plus. The spectator finds cards, does OOTW and finds performer's thought-of card, marked deck, based on Tony Faro's Spectator magician (Pabular); p 205 there is a page called "Fred On Out of This World". Fred had a very subtle shuffling procedure for the Paul Curry's effect where the spectator would shuffle himself before getting into the effect in a classical way. Very representative of Fred Robinson's subtle approach to magic.

Rogers, Mike: http://www.stevensmagic.com/gemini/Mike%20Rogers/OutOfThisJokerWorld. by Arlane (Ed Turner). World Out Of This (Joker) World

Rostami, Greg. Cosmos DVD ©2006 From a deck shuffled independently by two spectators the cards are dealt in two rows (no stop half way through) and the reds are on one side and the black on the other. The performer can secretly know the red ones from the black ones either by opposite bends in the cards or by an edge mark on both sides near the middle. Greg reinvented and enhanced the most brilliant principle invented by Leslie Claire in 1910 & http://www.metacafe.com/watch/286368/cosmos_greg_rostami_impossable_card_trick_reve/ filmed (performance only)

Salinsky, Tom: Order This World (UK quality Typescript). A thoughtful variation with more just than one or two ideas.

Sanderson, George P. Right Under Their Noses ©1977 by Micky Hades International, Canada p. 23: Thanks to Paul Curry: Another approach to Curry's Out of this World. Does not provide the entire routine, but only an improved approach to revealing the two packets

Sankey, Jay. 3 Ring Circus. Dowsing is an impromptu version of Paul Curry’s effect. & Confession. 22 Blows to the Head.

Scarne, John. Scarne on Card Tricks ©1950 Dover. John offers the trick as #155, the last one in the book, and introduces it like this: "A card trick in which the spectator mysteriously separates the red-face cards from the black-face cards. A top creation by the author, who has kept the method a secret for many years."

Skinner, Michael. Classic Sampler p 84: Rouge et Noir is a small packet Out Of This World

Swain, James: Miracles With Cards ©1996. p 12: Out Of This World

Tamariz, Juan: Música Bruja I: Sonata ©1989: Escorial-76 splits the four suites instead of just the 2 colors by a very simple and deceiving method of dealing second, third or fourth; Half-Escorial half the cards dealt face up, half face down, the color of the backs of the face up cards change, the face down cards are sorted in order as in Escorial-76; Short Version; Stage version of Escorial 76 & Sonata ©1991 Editorial Frakson p 172: Escorial-76; p 180 Half-Escorial; p 185 Short Version; p 188 Stage version of Escorial 76 & Sonata (French Translation) ©1997 Académie De Magie Georges Proust p 196 Escorial-76; p 207 Demi Escorial; p 212 Version Courte; p 216 Variante Pour la Scène.

Taylor, Boin. Spell-Binder. Out Of Town.

Tremain, Jon. Amazing Secrets of Magic and Card Tricks: Out Of This World

Trost, Nick. The New Tops, N° 9 September 1972. Red or Black - Which ? & The Card Magic of Nick Trost. 1997 p. 28: Red Or Black - Which? This variant uses only 17 cards, and stems from Karl Fulves’ Even Money Proposition published on page 257 of The Pallbearers Review, Vol. 4, N° 7 May 1969 & Subtle Card Creations - Vol 1 p 14: Ultimate "Even Money" – Improved

Tucker, Stephen: Abacus Vol 6 issue 3 Nov 1997 (Al Smith’s magazine): Out of His Dimension. The cards are dealt face up in random order but when turned over the spectator finds out that he has split red backed and blue backed cards.

Wagner J.C. The Commercial Magic of J.C. Wagner, 1987 ©Mike Maxwell. Prediction out of this world: & More Commercial Magic DVD Prediction Out Of This World

Weigle, Oscar. Phoenix # 182 July 29 1949 Advertisement but the explanation is so far unpublished. Further Out Of This World & Magic (magazine) Vol 11 #4 December 2001: "In the Times of Paul Curry" paints a nostalgic picture of what was truly a golden age of inventive close-up in New York City.

Jones, Wyman : The Art of Astonishment book 3 p. 253: Galaxy. The spectator shuffles the cards; only a portion of the deck is used in the final deal, making it less drawn out than other variations. The final deal is to only two packs. It does not have the "Stop- now let’s make two more piles" aspect. The display at the end is simple and logical

Zavis, William. Phoenix # 293 p 1172 and # 299 p 1196

Zimmerman, Richard. Way Out Of this World ©1976 p 1 Way Out Of this World the classic with only two piles, but including Additions & Variations
Message: Posted by: No Show the Magician (Jul 19, 2009 06:09PM)
[quote]
On 2009-07-18 11:53, Lawrence O wrote:
The recording of Out Of This World effects also got completed on other threads, so by now the list reads

Bibliography on out of this world

DeLong, Aaron. Believe DVD White Trash. The cards are separated face down in three piles, red, black and trash Thanks to the Hummer deck when the cards are turned face up, not only did they separate but the trash pile is made of white cards.

[/quote]

I'm stoked that my name made this list of really brilliant people, but I wanted to clear up some confusion though. White Trash is currently unpublished. I released it on YouTube for a while, but it has not yet seen print. I have some lecture notes on DVD called the Snozzberry Lecture Notes where it has appeared, but nowhere else.

Thanks again for the mention. And for anyone interested, White Trash is John Kennedy's the Red and Black with the Hummer Deck application. Have fun!!

Aaron DeLong
Talking with Briana on PMs, it just occurred to me that when the cards are laid out on to the table, we are [b][i]exactly in the position of a follow the leader[/b][/i].
Furthermore the theme is also along the same lines. Thus we could use some of the Follow The Leader subtleties to straighten up the piles... We just need to justify it in the patter (by doing several changes?).
There is a new avenue there...
The first card of each half can be of an opposite color to the rest of the half. Then at the end we could cross the leader and show that the card followed and then change it again or not and show that the entire rest of the ile followed. This change of leader card would appear as the cause to the effect.

I think we are on to something big here...
Doc Dixon kindly sent me the following PM

[i]I am totally unfamiliar with Axel Hecklau's work on this effect, so while what I published may be similar, I believe it is inaccurate to say it is "based" on it. I'm curious, where and when was Mr. Hecklau's published?

Out of this Platform has been a part of my working repertoire for several years, so there's a good chance my performance of it may predate his publication of his routine.

Either way, I'd like to know the facts as I may need to correct future editions of the book. [/i]

Thus if a mistake of mine resulted in inconvenience for any or both of these perfomers, I wish to offer each and both of them my public apologies.
There was no inconvenience and certainly no offense was taken. Your sharing of the Out of This World bibliography is very much appreciated. Thank you.

I'll have to track down Axel Hecklau's notes. If his work on OOTW is even half as good as his work on the newspaper tear, it's a must read.

Respectfully,

DD
DD, it is good, but has no similarities with your version (OOTPlatform)... Jan
I too am flattered to find myself included in Lawrence's impressive research.

Here's a couple of additional pieces of information which I hope maybe of interest.

My OOTW routine referenced above is actually called 'Out of This Book From The Library' and not 'Out of My Mind'. 'Out of My Mind' was the title of my column in MAGIC magazine in which it appeared.

Two other OOTW routines of mine also appeared in my Dungeon magazine in 1993. These were 'Out of this Street' and 'Out of this House'. The latter used a regular shuffled deck and didn't require the performer to stop and swap piles halfway through. It was republished with improvements in my book 'Some More Tricks' which you should be able to purchase from your favourite dealer.

I also have a couple of other unreleased OOTW routines which I plan to release in the future.

Best,

Anthony Owen
Lawrence:

What a great biblography!!!!!

Just started my research on the "best" impromptu OOTW and there you have provided a great source.

Didn't see Eugene Burger on the list - his varation must be video form only.

Wonderful to be reminded that there are variations in books I own and had forgotten OOTW was in them.

Thank you!
MacIrish,

Eugene Burger did not release his "own" version of Out Of This World.

Instead he took U. F. Grant's version and added minor but relevant improvements for his booklet called "Intimate Power".

As far as I know, the same information is presented in "Exploring Magical Presentations" (DVD) as well as in "Mastering the Art of Magic" (book) which includes the original text of "Intimate Power" booklet.

Hope this helps.
[quote]
On 2009-02-20 15:20, MagicPresident wrote:
of this classic effect?
[/quote]

As a matter of fact Brent Geris, the owner of Magic Apple, is putting out a book on all of the best "Out of this World" plots. The book is called "The Best of All Worlds." I think he said it's coming out like Christmas time.

Yehuda
No compilation would be complete without Rene Levand's version of Oil and Water, "It can't be done any slower."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StKW1BoRpus

Alabau
Lawrence O is not human.
O&W is not OOTW.
Great list, Lawrence O! Many thanks for the compilation. May I also suggest the following:

Wilson, Ron. The Uncanny Scot, Way Out of this World, p. 25. "To make it appear as if you're doing the late Paul Curry's 'Out of This World' with a deck which is shuffled by the spectator."
Derren browns version is the most direct out of this world,that I can think of right know..using a regular deck.

spectator shuffles,deals in 2 piles,piles are turned over showing red and black seperated

at least that's what it looks like to the spectator.
I have a new version that I'm doing with shuffling all by the spectator before during and after the lay out by the specators themselves. Didn'r giveit a name as yet.
Best of All Worlds is due out at the end of the year. Look for advertisements in Genii, Magic, MUM and LINKING RING

Pre-sale is coming soon!

Lawrence has contributed his GIANT reference list to the book, and thank you.
Who's writing "Best of All Worlds?"

Dennis Loomis
The Magic Apple is putting out "Best of All Worlds" soon, it written and compiled by Brent Arthur James Geris, Bob Postelnik and Duppy Demetrius.
Can't wait!
I didn't see it mentioned so I thought I'd throw this out there. In Joshua Jay's book, Magic, he includes a version of OOTW. Seems to be a basic handling, but it was my introduction to this trick. I know he credits Harry Lorayne, but I don't know if the handling is all the same.
Wow, Denny REALLY wanted to know who was putting that book out!

I have 3 different versions of OOTW published in eBooks available for sale on the "books" page of my website, http://www.scottfguinn.com :

[i]What in the World[/i] in [b]My Best to You: Cards[/b]

[i]Turn Your Back on the World[/i] in [b]Guinn Gone Mental[/b]

[i]Don't Face the World[/i] in [b]Marked for Death[/b]

I have used all three in my repertoire, and all three play very well for me.
Thanks for the link Scott, I've been looking for a version of this effect!
I was mistaken. He credits Paul Curry. Don't know how I got that mixed up.
Best of All Worlds is now shipping!! Check out
http://www.earthslargestmagicshop.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/st_prod.html?p_prodid=14518
for all the details. There is a special price that will save you a few bucks plus if you order on line there is FREE SHIPPING in the US (offer good until Monday)

FYI: The book (and The Magic Apple) is an "official" Magic Café Sponsor too
If anyone has gotten this book (Best of All Worlds) I would love to hear what you think about it.
This thread prompts me to ask guidance in identifying instructional resources for the most effective, natural set-up for OOTW (in my case, Galaxy as the preferred presentation.) Lawrence, is your forthcoming setup available? Which methods seem least suspect and appear most natural? Along with Diplopia, this is a favorite with a non-gaffed deck, but I have yet to find a set-up that can be done openly. thank you.
Ooops. Please disregard my last post. I have now located related threads with ample suggestions. Sorry.
[quote]
On 2010-01-23 15:21, mjanes wrote:
This thread prompts me to ask guidance in identifying instructional resources for the most effective, natural set-up for OOTW (in my case, Galaxy as the preferred presentation.) Lawrence, is your forthcoming setup available? Which methods seem least suspect and appear most natural? Along with Diplopia, this is a favorite with a non-gaffed deck, but I have yet to find a set-up that can be done openly. thank you.
[/quote]
Buy Brent Geris's Best Of All Worlds. It'ss a new book that will answer any question that you may have.
Look at some of these reviews on this 400 page book:

http://www.earthslargestmagicshop.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/st_prod.html?p_prodid=14518
Derren Brown's is my current favourite, but, I have to confess there is something about timing 'the move' that I can't seem to do well consistently.
David
I have the "Fifth Printing" of Paul Curry's OOTW that has 3 double sided pages in the typical 1950s looking mimeograph style. I imagine I bought it 25 or so years ago. I was wondering if there were "printings" after that. In this version, Mr. Curry lists 7 variations or "suggestions" that were submitted to him over time, though some give very little detail (such as you can use a STR****R d**k). In my version, I make the spectator the performer as I am "tired of doing card tricks" and instill magical powers in them so I can just watch. I use the beginning of the original where I show them how its done with the first few cards, making them think they will also do a trick with the cards face up. But then I throw in an "oh, I forgot to tell you..." and let them know it might be a little harder but they have to do it face down and THAT is the trick.

I've tried using a ma***d card, a key, and other ways to be able to talk and not count, but like others was looking for a combination of the best versions. Personally, I like tricks that don't seem obviously "prepared" and feel that the showmanship of the reveal is the trick. Some people have the cards turned over one by one, others flip each pile over basically in a "one two punch". I think the fun patter and slow development of the trick with a powerful finish at the end is what has made it such a classic. I'm more interested in the best performance and adapting it than a "how to".
Okay Let Me try and describe this as best as I can...I believe it is an OOTW effect done at my SAM Meeting.....anyway...

The Magi calls 2 spectators up to his table, gives each of them a packet of face down cards, asks them to deal the cards one at a time to this pile, that pile or a third pile, both spectators deal alternatively from their packet in their hand to a joint/combined face down packet on the table (faces of cards completely unseen at this point) after the cards are all dealt out (still in face down position) the magician turns each pile over and the cards are seperated ala OOTW

Did my description make sense? Is it an OOTW or out of this universe effect? It seems like it..any ideas?
It sounds like 'Out of this blah blah' from a Jon Armstrong dvd.
How would you like to be able to perform OOTW with a BORROWED SHUFFLED DECK? You CAN with Dennis Marks' "Invisible Eye."

In 1996, ten years before his death, the late Dennis Marks released to the magic community his closely guarded creation “The Invisible Eye.” A versatile utility gimmick highly praised by both mentalists and card magicians, the “Invisible Eye” enables you to perform a variety of otherwise impossible effects including Paul Curry’s classic “Out Of This World” using a BORROWED DECK AFTER IT HAS BEEN THOROUGHLY SHUFFLED BY A SPECTATOR. When Dennis performed it at the Magic Castle — and amazed Curry himself — Curry gave him permission to call it “the trick that fooled Paul Curry.”

With the passing of Dennis in 2006 and Neil "Cards by Martin Lester" (who manufactured it under license from Dennis) in 2009, the gimmick became unavailable. As one of the early owners and long time users of “the eye” I was able to track down the heir to Dennis' estate and earlier this year concluded the purchase of exclusive ownership and all rights to The Invisible Eye and associated instructions, including its manufacture and sales. I have made only a minor modification to its construction and have reprinted Dennis' original instruction booklet with some added commentary and historical information and am pleased to announce that Dennis Marks' "Invisible Eye" is once again available to the magic and mentalist community. I personally make each gimmick by hand. The cost of the gimmick and updated instruction booklet (you provide your own deck of cards) is only $45 postpaid in the US and Canada (just $5 more than it cost when introduced in 1996) -- add $3 for overseas. Payment via PayPal to gr8magik@aol.com

Orders are normally mailed within 24-48 hours of receipt of payment.

If you REALLY want to blow someone's mind, I can provide a new SEALED (seal and cellophane wrapper intact) deck of cards with the Invisible Eye pre-installed for $65. Please specify red or blue standard poker size Bicycle or Bee deck and allow up to 2 weeks for delivery.

In order to maintain at least some degree of exclusivity, the Invisible Eye will NOT be wholesaled to dealers, but will only be available directly from me.

Send a PM if you have any questions or need additional information.

For those not familiar with the "Invisible Eye," it is a powerful utility gimmick the uses of which are limited only by one's imagination. Just one of the many miracles possible -- and the one that "fooled Paul Curry" when Dennis Marks performed it for him -- is the ability to do Curry's own classic "Out Of This World," impromptu, with ANY borrowed and shuffled (by the spectator) deck of cards with no sleights, "moves" or manipulation required. Other possibilities include design duplication, effects with ESP or Tarot Cards, Runes, etc.