(Close Window)
Topic: Al's Magic Shop
Al's Magic Shop in Washington, D.C., has been sold to Steve Brown, who runs Theatre Effects in Hagerstown, Maryland.

Steve's been involved with magic in terms of performing and operating magic-related businesses, for at least 17 years.

For the unitiated, Al's Magic Shop is an institution in Washington, D.C. It's been run in the same family since 1946 or 1936, believe it or not.

Al Cohen, who runs the store now, has been involved since, well, I think since about 1950! Steve has promised to keep the name and the general atmosphere of the shop, which is very down-home.

If you're ever in Washington, D.C., visit Al's Magic Shop.
Yay!!!!!!!!
I am glad that Al found a buyer. I can't say enough nice things about Al and the crew at Al's. They have been critical in my maturation as a magician.
Yes, I'll second the favourable comments about Al getting a buyer. Probably the best demonstrator around. I lectured for him there about 4 years ago. Well, in the Mexican restaurant next door actually :)

It would have been sad if no-one had bought it.

Paul Hallas
Is this the same Steve Brown that Tannen's just made their new CEO, as reported in Magic Times (3/21/02)? :magicrabbit:
I'd guess not, since Theatre FX is in Maryland and Al's is in DC, while Tannen's is in NY. The Theatre FX Steve could easily be involved in both companies since they're fairly close, but NY is a bit of a stretch, and CEO of that company probably takes a larger chunk of time than somebody also (co-)running two other businesses could manage. I could be wrong, though, this is just an educated guess.
I get out to DC on occasion - anybody have the location right off the top of their head?
925 Vermont Ave., NW

It is located between 14th and 15th st. and K st. near McPherson Square Metro stop on the Blue and Orange line.
Thanks! And near the metro to boot...

:bg:
For those heading to Al's from this post - I went last week and the only thing at 925 Vermont is the statue of McPherson! The address is actually 1012 Vermont...

:idea:
You are right. It is 1012 Vermont Ave. I apologize.
Too many magic shops are going the way of the Buffalo these days, it seems. It is good that a good ol' shop can still live on.