(Close Window)
Topic: Bro Gilbert's New Effect
This is something that has been in the works for quite some time and is without a doubt the most memorable card effect that I perform period. I'm extremely excited to share this with everyone! The link below is just a teaser. Full in depth trailer and DVD coming real soon. All great things.

Bro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AgS5Vy3bWY
I'd be happy if magicians would just try to show the effect on the trailer instead of trying to be a movie producer..
Just my humble opinion

Don
Oooohh, I'm in.
[quote]
On 2009-02-23 18:28, magicman1 wrote:
I'd be happy if magicians would just try to show the effect on the trailer instead of trying to be a movie producer..
Just my humble opinion

Don
[/quote]

What part of "just a teaser" and "full in depth trailer coming soon" wasn't clear?
Bro, thanks for letting us know.

We're teased and ready for more!
[quote]
On 2009-02-23 18:31, Magicsquared wrote:
[quote]
On 2009-02-23 18:28, magicman1 wrote:
Just my humble opinion

Don
[/quote]

What part of "just a teaser" and "full in depth trailer coming soon" wasn't clear?
[/quote]

What part of his critique wasn't clear to you? The "teaser" was 1:14, of which around 20 seconds was cards. I don't really need to see him walking through the snow, driving on the snow and engaging in other snow-related activity. I just hope the in-depth trailer does not have the same ratio of snow to cards.

(And why do you feel the need to respond in the condescending manner you did? He said it was his "humble opinion" (one I happen to agree with). Really, if you don't have anything constructive to add, STFU.)
Haha,

okay, tough guy.

You might want to look up what a "teaser" trailer is and it might explain why there wasn't much of the effect shown. Or you can continue to rail against a concept you don't understand, I guess.
The evolution of the AD?

Nathan
[quote]
On 2009-02-23 19:28, Nathan Pain wrote:
The evolution of the AD?

Nathan
[/quote]

That's what it looks like. And the name of the effect seems to suggest it. I hope that's the case.
Let artists create art, don't be one of those guys that keeps pushing magic back the way it was when it was all creepy and weird.
I like artistic previews.
I think it adds depth to the production and I highly admire quality previews like the one above and those at papercrane.

I'm glad magic production has evolved from crappy midi file music with pop up graphics to a more artistic route of theme and production.

Some companies do a good job, some don't.
I understand the frustration of trailers that don't show you anything. But in this case when you're told it's a teaser trailer and that a full trailer is on the way, it seems like you can have a bit more latitude.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to this.
Looks similar to another effect by PH. But looks good! Nice idea! Keep us posted!
The in depth trailer that is on its way will indeed be that! I hadn't actually been on a snowmobile since the 10th grade so needless to say I had a great time, made myself laugh (at myself) and astonished quite a few cross country skiers in the process. I did however film in a variety of different locations and will include in depth explanations, handling, psychology, bonus routine "flipped perspective" plus thoughts, ideas and alternate handlings from special friends etc. This wont be pre released, so when the next trailer is up it will ready to ship. Thanks everyone for your thoughts and interest, looking forward to the release 03 09.
B
This looks somewhat similar to Deep Astonishment except without the wallet....
Hence the name Deep 3, I would suppose.

Bro (or anyone else who knows)will this be available everywhere or only through specific dealers?
This will be available everywhere, and does indeed have a certain percentage of it's root system in the PH classic. Don't want to give too much away, all will be spelled out clearly in the new trailer, this really is the absolute easiest and most memorable card effect that I do.
[quote]
On 2009-02-23 21:21, ted french wrote:
Let artists create art, don't be one of those guys that keeps pushing magic back the way it was when it was all creepy and weird.
[/quote]

I happen to like creepy and weird. Magic, that is. Not people.

On topic though, interesting; can't wait to see more.

Huh. I guess the teaser worked on me.

Sean
I meant people.
Thanks Ted French. Im a big fan of all the creative work that has gone into all the Paper Crane productions I have seen thus far. Also just finished an interview with Penguin and I do go into My Deep 3 effect in pretty clear detail for those who are curious and don't want to wait for the new in depth trailer to arrive. Should be up in the next few days in and around the True Astonishments area.
B
I actually like creepy and weird people. They are far more interesting than the "normal" peeps we all pretend to be.
James

[quote]
On 2009-02-24 18:45, Sean Fields wrote:
[quote]
On 2009-02-23 21:21, ted french wrote:
[/quote]

I happen to like creepy and weird. Magic, that is. Not people.

On topic though, interesting; can't wait to see more.

Huh. I guess the teaser worked on me.

Sean
[/quote]
Looks interesting.

RevJohn
Wow, you are like a David Blaine in the Yukon. To get a little more of the love effect, you might want to rub your nose against the noses of the women in the video. It might help to show an occassional Polar Bear and Al Gore measuring a glacier. We look forward to the reviews next month.
Bro Gilbert makes history by being the first to videotape snowmobile magic.

This looks slick, Bro. Can't wait to see a full trailer!
~joe
[quote]
On 2009-02-24 15:12, *Bro* wrote:
The in depth trailer that is on its way will indeed be that! I hadn't actually been on a snowmobile since the 10th grade so needless to say I had a great time, made myself laugh (at myself) and astonished quite a few cross country skiers in the process. I did however film in a variety of different locations and will include in depth explanations, handling, psychology, bonus routine "flipped perspective" plus thoughts, ideas and alternate handlings from special friends etc. This wont be pre released, so when the next trailer is up it will ready to ship. Thanks everyone for your thoughts and interest, looking forward to the release 03 09.
B

[/quote]

What's the word on the release for this one? :) Any news Bro?
I heard it was goint to be released at the end of the month
Boooooo

I really didn't want to spend anymore money for awhile after plopping down on the TA set. That being said, it does look like this has roots in the Anything Deck and/or Deep Astonishment.

Deep Astonishment was my introduction to PH material and I have a very cozy place in my heart for this type of plot no matter who puts it out.

Bring on the full trailer. I will be waiting with a grin.

JS

P.S. That boo at the beginning was from my wallet, not from me personally ;)
I've got one word after viewing the teaser:
[b]Awesome[/b]

My eyes are peeled.

In thanks

Scar
Full preview now up and running! all your favorite dealers should have this by the end of the month. Thanks and enjoy the new preview.
B
Bro the trailer looked great! Will definitely pick this up!

-Rahat
Hahah. I love how the trailor is a big ole pun.
It was awesome!
Look really interting indeed.can't waite to see more.As far as the snowmobileing goes we're just getting rid of the snow up here and now it's brought back the memories of a long winter.lol can't waite for this one tho
Bro, this is a great piece of magic. It is so practical, unique and an effect that really brings in the personal mind space of the spectator. They will definitely be awestruck with this as it leaves no room for explanation in their mind. I love the aspect of the custom sexy jokers as it ties in everything quite logically.

I will be picking this one up 100%.

Well done!

Tony
I am gonna pick this up I love the presentation!
Bro....looking forward to your new piece of magic !!! Enjoyed you on the TA set. Great teacher of magic and in my humble opinion very inspiring.

Joe
I just watched the trailer and have to say it is an effect I would want in my working repertoire. It's not a card trick, Bro's presentation made it a revelation of a memory ... can't be any sweeter... congrats Bro!

Shawn
Just watched the effect as well, very streamlined from DA 2.

Look forward to getting this.

Don
I watched the (full) trailer also. Don't know for sure if I am interested in another trick deck effect but thought it was very well done and commend the creator in the honesty and completness of the presentation. Becuause it does not destroy several cards each performnce it is more practical than DA2 and better than most things on TA (imho)
Any release date yet?
It is already out.

Buy here:

http://www.mjmmagic.com/store/deep-3-by-bro-gilbert-dvd-and-deck-dvd-p-9513.html
Actually all the dealers have it now, Penguin, Madhatter, Hocus Pocus, etc...
Mine just arrived yesterday. I have to say, this is absolutely amazing. In the wake of True Astonishments, this is another really personal effect that hits home with people. And it's super easy to handle! We have all handled a deck that uses this, which makes it so much more comforable. And the bonus "flipped perspective" is awesome! Definitely worth the measly $30. OH! And just for you geeks, there is an easter egg in the menu. Hey- This is Easter weekend. Did you do that on purpose, Bro?
But seriously, I am really digging this whole look and style that TA and D3 have going on. The earthy wood Art of Astonishment artwork stuff is making me feel good! Keep 'em coming like this. I want a whole series of AoA after-effects.
Anyone have an issue with the quality of the deck? My cards are bowing really strangely (and extreme) and make it difficult to work with. Another way of putting it is lets say you put some action in the deck, or a crimp... my deck has that all the time. No matter how much I try to reverse it. So I find times that I have to "pop" the deck so that I can spread the deck together/

I know this is clear as mud. Lets just say it isn't handling like any other gaffed deck similar to this type.

Great effect, I just think something is up with my particular deck.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

RevJohn
Hello All!

Just following up RevJohn's question regarding the condition/quality of his Deep 3
deck......

Anybody else having this issue?

Thanks!

Respectfully,
Rochaz
Hey guys contacted RevJohn, his deck will be replaced, not sure what happened there maybe ups guy dropped it in a swimming pool earlier in his deliveries. Regardless when there is large run of something there is always according to murphys law the potential for a few bad seeds. If there are any concerns with your deep 3 decks the first plan of action is to contact the dealer you purchased it from. Beyond that you can send me a message and I will make sure that the appropriate peoples are notified and that you are taken care of with a healthy pack.
B
Bro,
Thanks for the update/info!

Always nice to know that you stand behind your product.....

:)

Rochaz
Now that's customer service

Moved me over the line on that to purchase this effect

Don
[quote]
On 2009-04-12 20:45, RevJohn wrote:
Anyone have an issue with the quality of the deck? My cards are bowing really strangely (and extreme) and make it difficult to work with. Another way of putting it is lets say you put some action in the deck, or a crimp... my deck has that all the time. No matter how much I try to reverse it. So I find times that I have to "pop" the deck so that I can spread the deck together
[/quote]

I have been playing around with my Deep 3 deck now for a few days and I noticed the same thing occured to me AFTER I traced over the letters?? I used a "Marks A Lot" chisel tip marker. Now my deck has the "pop" to it that RevJohn was mentioning. Gonna leave the deck out over night, maybe the moisture with all the weather changes going on around here is making things messed up...

Love this deck... Gonna retire the 'old school' Deep Astonishment now...

Cheers,

Justin
Would this be easy to make yourself? I will purchase the effect, as it is the ethical thing to do. Im fairly sure how this is assembled. Im thinking that anyone offended by the jokers could replace them with a regular joker.
Update...
I left the deck out over night, ribbon spread style and this morning it was just like new. The "pop" of the deck is gone and everything can be spread with ease.

Mystification, you could assemble this on your own but IMO it would be difficult. I thought about doing just that so I could customize for corporate clients. There is one added element to this deck which would make it difficult. You will have to purchase to find out the little nuance I am talking about.

As for the jokers, I really do not think that they are going to be an issue. With today's popularity of pinups, tattoos and such, this will fly by most people and has already. You are not bringing the "eroticism" of the jokers to their attention. You are talking about a gift from someone in your past that is supposed to bring you luck or something along those lines. The small amount of people who have seen this already think that the jokers are something else and like how they are different. Not one person has said anything about them being "racey" or offensive.

Cheers

Justin
Both Janet and Bro contacted me, and Hocus Pocus, who is the dealer I purchased this through, is replacing the deck.

Justin... I will try your suggestion with the deck that is coming, if I end up having the same issues. My problems started after I marked the deck as well. I used the same marker Bro suggests in the DVD.

The service that I have received from everyone concerned has been fantastic!

RevJohn
I used a regular Sharpie and had no problems after marking. The deck is fine.

I said this before, but if anyone is concerned about the jokers -- don't be. They look like "old art." I'm not sure why folks are so freaked about the jokers. They're quite cool, actually. Nothing weird or racy.

And remember, too -- the goal is to turn the jokers over. The trick is not the jokers -- it's what's written on the back of the jokers. So the ultimate focus is never on the jokers themselves. They get glimpsed -- but the magic is in the flip.
The video looks great,
this stuff is also available on:
http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=1940
I really really like this effect. The thinking behind this is brilliant, and delivers a powerful effect. There is two handelings, a simplex version and another version that is not much more dificult. The dvd is great and is the same type of quality as the TA project. I will be using this
I got my deep 3 today and I'm really happy with my purchase,besides the routine and presentation idea you see bro perform on the video,bro talks about an idea that paul Harris came up with,for me this was the best idea on the dvd.
I consider deep 3 like an impression device,an invisible deck,you can come up with sooo many routines using this,I already started thinking a few.
Thanks for the feedback everyone, and thanks justinvisible for posting your deck pop solve, I have never experienced that and have spent the last few days, scribbling on decks with all kinds of sharpies and jumbo pens like a true magic nerd to test but nothing. My guess is that if you prep the deck in a more extreme temperature zone, ie too hot, too cold, too much humidity this could happen, regardless the pop will pass as justinvisible has discovered. I would love to hear if anyone is liking the "flipped perspective" aspect of deep 3 as I usually alternate the two effects from group to group, as well for anyone who has bought the dvd, if you were liking the soundtrack on my tongue in cheek snowmobile teaser video there is something for you hidden on the main menu.
B
I'm wondering.... Has no one realized the lucky ladies are the "Free Ride" witch from AoA (i think vol 3)? I mean, it seems stating the obvious. But no one has even mentioned it. They are her, minus the hat and broom. I love her.
BTW, I too am getting awesome responses to Deep 3. I would tell anyone and everyone, that if you are even thinking about possibly buying this deck- DO IT! You will not be disappointed. You may think it won't hit that hard, but I assure you, it really hits home. I prefer the "alternate handling" (which is what you see Bro using in the trailer), and I showed this to one of my "guinea pigs" (one who sees a lot of my stuff early on) and he was floored. It really creeped him out. Others usually just giggle for a minute. But all in all . . . . . . astonished.
Got mine yesterday had the same "Pop" deck problem which I have had with other decks that involve this method and configuration. I too left mine spread out and it seemed to solve 85% of the problem. If it is like any other deck 10 or 15 runthroughs it will be "broken in".THIS IS NOT A BIG ISSUE I AM NOT WORRIED ABOUT IT.

As for the effect and presentation this thing is killer. Has everything you want in an effect. Spectator emotions, comedy, huge impact and very simple to do.I never thought the ID would ever have true competition and also that fits into the list I mentioned above, but this deck does and it may become my new "go to" effect. Great practical thinking. The thing I like about it is the numerous presentation angles and the latitude you have of adding more jokers to create different effects.
Highly reccomended Good work and hats off to you Bro!
No pop here. I think it's a climate thing.

Great trick.

Robert
I used a Papermate W10 permanent Marker and left them to dry out for half an hour before reassembling with no issues at all.

Fantastic effect with great responses so far. I will be using this a lot!
I have to fly sometimes for work, and that " popping thing" happens to me all the time on the plane,,,,, great for a full deck crimp control??!! LOL

I have not seen the dvd yet, but Paul Harris always delivers.... oh ya, and Bro too !

AG
Have this and love it and wanted to take a poll for others that have it. In the DVD Bro discusses the point of what the effect really is in regards to the initials appearing.
He asks should the letters seem to appear magically or is it treated as if they were there all the time.

I understand the strength and adavantages of showing the different backs of the jokers at the start which by doing so willl suggest that the letters magically appear.

Now in the video he states that it really does not matter what the spectator thinks and I tend to agree with him but was curious if anyone has patter that suggests one view point or another on the letters appearing,
I think there are some good ideas from Tony Chris and the guys that were discussing "he Chosen" deck.. the X appears etc... may be of some help.

best AG
[quote]
On 2009-04-18 11:15, Scott Imler wrote:
Have this and love it and wanted to take a poll for others that have it. In the DVD Bro discusses the point of what the effect really is in regards to the initials appearing.
He asks should the letters seem to appear magically or is it treated as if they were there all the time.

I understand the strength and adavantages of showing the different backs of the jokers at the start which by doing so willl suggest that the letters magically appear.

Now in the video he states that it really does not matter what the spectator thinks and I tend to agree with him but was curious if anyone has patter that suggests one view point or another on the letters appearing,
[/quote]

I guess it depends on what kind of performer you are,I am a mentalist and I performed this a few times already,I don't show the packs of the joker at first place so they can seem like a prediction,I also changed the story of the effect a bit to make it look like a pure mentalism effect.
[quote]
On 2009-03-28 17:16, Xcath1 wrote:
I watched the (full) trailer also. Don't know for sure if I am interested in another trick deck effect but thought it was very well done and commend the creator in the honesty and completness of the presentation. Becuause it does not destroy several cards each performnce it is more practical than DA2 and better than most things on TA (imho)
[/quote]

When you perform DA2 why do you destroy cards (You said it not me)? I would love to see your presentation. It has to be really astonishing.

Better than most things on TA...oh well everyone has opinions. Does that mean you do not like TA or just feel that Deep3 is so powerful? ...but I am still wondering about you destroying cards in performing DA2.
I don't understand how you're destroying anything when performing DA2. I don't think Xcath1 knows what he/she is talking about. I would say that DA2 is a better routine and still the best handling of the Anything Deck idea but for the sake of convenience and practicality, Deep 3 is superb. I need to work on handling the Deep 3 deck as I haven't touched a ID type of deck in years and the cards tend to split on me while spreading through the Deep 3 deck.
Those people who own deep 3 , which handling do you prefer? IMO the basic handling looks cleaner,looking at the deck for the jokers instead of going through the deck. Any opinions?
The method with the p****l d*t is what I'm working on. Looks the most natural. I personally wish that the backs of the cards were marked for ease of use.
I like the basic handeling, but the second handeling does have its advandages.
I'm now experiencing the "deck pop." I'm going to try Justin Visible's ribbond spread fix and see if it works.
I'm now experiencing the "deck pop." I'm going to try Justin Visible's ribbon spread fix and see if it works.
- Mario Orsini -

Mario,
How long has it been since you prepared the deck?
I prepped the deck soon after viewing the explanation on the DVD...waited around 20 minutes and then put the deck back in the box. I have not had any issues at all. It's been a couple weeks or so and I've performed the effect 4 times (super reactions by the way!)
The one thing that I'm concerned with is the humidity here in South Texas. I make sure that I keep this "type" of deck (BW/ID or Deep 3)in a plastic ziplock bag.
Maybe I'm being overly cautious?

Someone else on this thread mentioned that it may be a climate issue....

Anyone else have any input on this particular concern?

Respectfully,
rochaz
Keep a few hardcover books on top of the deck when not in use. It prevents the pop and often times can temporarily fix the pop (the pop will eventually come back, it's just the nature of pasteboards).
Rochaz,

The pop didn't show up for about a week. Maybe it did have something to do with the weather. Thursday night is was fine. By Saturday, the temp had jumped 30 degrees and I noticed the pop. I'm not overly concerned about it.

Mario
They really missed a great opportunity - these cards should be
Marked.
I did nothing to the deck and it was fine this morning. Must have been the humidity.
Mario,
That's exactly why I store my deck in a ziplock bag. The humidity here in South Texas is a pain in the rear! :)

I guess I'd rather play it safe......

Respectfully,
Juan
Perhaps marked cards would have been easier, but I find the p***** d** method to work just fine. Just take the letters one at a time, beginning with the first alphabetically. Calculate the position in your mind, go to it, and then simply count to the second. It hasn't been a problem for me.
I use the basic method as my alphabet is different than english,there might be a confusion if I try to count the letters,there are a few missing ones so I feel more comfortable with the basic handling.
Hi guys,
Sounds like agreat effect but to things I would like to know before purchase.
Can the initials of the 'first person kissed' be the same letters ie: Thomas Taylor = T T?
Can the effect be repeated for another group at the same venue with a different outcome after a reset?
Thanks.
You can't do double letters and how to get around that is fully covered on the DVD. Reset is seconds so you are covered there as well.
Deanbarlow,

Repeated initials:
Bro talks about this in the DVD and explains how to get around this particular
situation. I've encountered this once and just went ahead and followed Bro's suggestions and it worked out just fine. :)

Repeating for a different group:
Yes..after resetting the deck, you can perform this again.

Hope this helps!
Respectfully,
Rochaz
Many thanks Rochaz & kissdadookie,

Rochaz, I have noted throughout this thread that you have had some issues with the deck deforming / 'popping', have you now resolved this issue and put it down to humidity? I live in the UK and therefore don't see humidity as an issue so hopefully I shouldnt have the same problem.
And finally on a scale of 10 (10 being best) how would you score this effect for a performer who has limited pocket space and doesn't wish to be carrying multiple gaffed decks around?
Many thanks guys,
Dean
It's strong enough to do alone. I really wouldn't do anymore card tricks afterwards to be perfectly honest. Heck, I probably wouldn't do any other tricks after it. It's really really strong closing material.
[quote]
On 2009-05-06 12:04, deanbarlow wrote:
Many thanks Rochaz & kissdadookie,

Rochaz, I have noted throughout this thread that you have had some issues with the deck deforming / 'popping', have you now resolved this issue and put it down to humidity? I live in the UK and therefore don't see humidity as an issue so hopefully I shouldnt have the same problem.
And finally on a scale of 10 (10 being best) how would you score this effect for a performer who has limited pocket space and doesn't wish to be carrying multiple gaffed decks around?
Many thanks guys,
Dean
[/quote]

Mine replaced my ID in my pocket...for most venues. I still carry my ID when I know there's going to be a lot of children. Deep 3 plays best for adults.

However, I'm going to partially side with kissadookie (sp?) and say this one can stand on it's own if you want it to.
Mario makes a good point here. The Deep 3 deck also doubles as a Brainwave style deck. You can basically forego the Deep 3 effect and use it for Brainwave with just a slight change to the handling (not as clean, but definitely clean enough).
Dean,
My initial concern came up because I read a fellow member's comment about the problem he experienced with his deck "popping". After purchasing the effect I was extra careful (probably overreacting) with the deck and made it a point to store it in a ziplock bag. I've owned several ID's and have never had any problems with those...but then again I've never had to prep one of those decks like the Deep 3 deck! I honestly believe that you will have no problem whatsoever with this deck.

I also agree with Kiss and Mario...the effect can be powerful enough to stand on its own, IF (and this is just from my own personal performances) you make it a point to establish a real and sincere emotional connection with your spectator and by extension the person they are thinking about.

You will not be disappointed with this at all! :)

Hope this helps!

Rochaz
You definitely need to sell the effect to your audience with Deep 3 because the premise as well as the actual trick is a very personal one. If you just try to perform the trick as a standard "ta-da!" kind of trick then you are definitely cheating both yourself and especially your audience out of a great experience.
I have to be honest, having performed this a few times now, I kinda feel like it needs to be followed by something. it's good, but not a close up 'closer', and certainly not strong enough to creat a big whack on its own.

I love the alternative effect though - I prefer it to the tradicional method, and don't mind the colour restriction at all, I see it as a plus.
May be different strokes for different folks. I've been using Deep Astonishment 2 for a good long while and Deep 3 is close to being as strong as DA2.
Rochaz,

Many thanks for your very truthful and sincere responses, indeed thank you all.

I understand what you guys are saying reference the ID and how it could be used in a similar way to that with a modification of the handling :o)

One other question which slightly puts me off this effect and I hope you can answer: I have had numerous ID's over the years and found that some of the cheaper versions don't 'spread' as you want them to without exposing 'what lies beneath!' Is this deck well made in the sense of it's operation when spreading (R&S)?

Best regards,

Dean
Oh, it's made meticulously well. One of the best made of such decks.
Yep...very well made!

Regardless, I always try to be careful with this type of deck. Handle it with extra special care when using it during a performance or even just storing it.
Kind of rententive, no? :)

Rochaz
I really love this effect. Very powerful
[quote]
On 2009-05-06 14:11, deanbarlow wrote:
Rochaz,

Many thanks for your very truthful and sincere responses, indeed thank you all.

I understand what you guys are saying reference the ID and how it could be used in a similar way to that with a modification of the handling :o)

One other question which slightly puts me off this effect and I hope you can answer: I have had numerous ID's over the years and found that some of the cheaper versions don't 'spread' as you want them to without exposing 'what lies beneath!' Is this deck well made in the sense of it's operation when spreading (R&S)?

Best regards,

Dean
[/quote]I own it and it seems as good as well made Ids but after time it may require a respray.
I have owned several ID s and have found after time that they will need to be re roughed or sprayed.Very cheap as a can can do many many decks.
Many thanks for the responses and advise guys, I think that I will go ahead and get this effect.
Dean
Message: Posted by: Christopher Williams (May 8, 2009 04:01PM)
I have this and think it is great! The basic handling is the one I use, for a simple reason...when performing at a table (which I have found works great, as everyone engages in the thoughts and past of the person I am performing to), so when I spread at the end, everyone at the table can see as it is at chest height, whereas if I performed the other handling, half the table wouldn't be able to see the cards.
I like the basic handling presentation at chest level, too. I've never done it this way with an ID, but it seems to work really well with Deep 3.

Robert
Hi Guys,
My 3 Deep arrived today and I am totally happy with it. All of your comments were so true regarding the brilliance of this effect. Thanks for the comments and thanks to Bro Gilbert for such an outstanding effect.
Dean
Gentlemen,
Do you ever get questioned why the letters are just to one side of the back of the card? If so, what is your response / reply to this?
Dean
Dean,
I can only speak for myself....but I've never had anybody ask me that question.
Even as the spec is holding the card they don't stop to think about that.
In my experience, most of the time they're to surprised/shocked/giggly to even consider where the letters show up on the card.

That is my take on it...perhaps others have experienced something else and would like to share how they handled it?

Respectfully,
Rochaz
Nope. Never been questioned about that. The spectator may notice it but I really don't think it sparks as anything uncommon to them. Its just the spot on the card. It really has nothing to do with the effect method-wise! It's only like that because of the bonus effect and for one little subtlety used with Deep 3.
That was the first thought that crossed my mind when I saw the trick.

There's nothing wrong with having the initials to one side. It's easier to see the letters as you go through the deck if you hold the cards at chest level. And, it does allow the backs to be shown. But, I think those are the only two reasons if you don't want to do the bonus effect.

I would suggest that the next batch of cards be printed without any letter guides so the buyer can print the letters anywhere they want. But, this is still a great trick no matter where the letters are.

Robert
This is an old thread, I know. I love the emotional impact of the orginal handling, and that is the way I normally perform this. But occasionally I use the deck as a demonstration in thought projection. I use the patter along the lines of the film, "Inception", whereby I will attempt to "implant" a word in someone's mind as the spectator scans through 19 pages of words containing approximately 4,500 words ( including acronyms, proper names and place names). I use 4 jokers for this effect and have carefully edited all the words. I use my Stealth Assassin for this, though it is not necesssary. On the top of the first page containing the words I actually have typed out " Center for Parapsychological Studies, Duke University, Thought Projection Test # 3). If anybody wants to try this out shoot me a PM and I will email you the word document. You can further edit the list and the title, depending on your patter. - Greg
Thanks for these comments! Espresto would love to check out your -Inception- style routine. As a quick note about the letter guides, some friends I know who don't want to use the flipped invisible principle built in, they just take a wide tip sharpie and scribble big bold letters that cover the entire backs of the cards, the guide lines are very faint and are either totally covered by the big block letters or incorporated into the little drawings I often do mentioned n the "jazz" section of the DVD where I talk about going fishing for more meaning and reactions with simple drawings. Hope this helps :)

Bro
I really like the jokers. Very well done, getting one soon. :)
Paperinick if you look close at the joker woman, you will see how she inspired the name of the effect :) Glad you like them.
I'm glad this post re-surfaced. This is one of my favorite purchases in the last 5 years. Bro is such a natural, fluid performer, who makes it seem like he's just a friend who happens to know some miracles. This effect is cleanly taught, and easy to follow. Love it, love it, love it.
This great effect is a bit hard to get now in the UK but we have some in stock.

http://www.paulharrispresents.co.uk/card-magic-tricks/deep-3-by-bro-gilbert.html
My Deep 3 deck got misplaced in a move a while ago. Just found it a few days ago. Oh, how I've missed it!

I can't think of a more inherently meaningful effect anyone can perform with a deck of cards.

In my opinion this is one of the greatest card effects of all time.