(Close Window)
Topic: Carolina Close-up Convention
[b]Carolina Close-up Convention[/b]
[i](The East Coast Super Session)[/i]

I’m pleased to announce [i]“Carolina Close-up Convention”[/i] is still going strong! The convention has been in existence for the past 3 years (under a couple of different names) and has always been host to some great talent such as Fisher, Asher, Wagner, Gallo, Kosby, Skutt, England and many others.

Moving forward - I'll be hosting the event and I am very excited about the potential this “little” convention has to offer. All the talent is already booked and we have some special events that I hope you will find just a bit different from the norm.

Here are the details . . .

[b]Date/Location[/b]
October 2nd and 3rd 2009
Charlotte University Holiday Inn
8520 University Exec Park Dr
Charlotte, NC 28262

[b]Talent[/b]
I’m very excited about the line-up. I believe we have hit a great balance between established names and new “Up and Comers”. I hope you agree . . .
[list]
[*]Eric DeCamps
[*]Steve Beam
[*]Nathan Kranzo
[*]Tyler Wilson
[*]Geoff Williams
[/list]

[b]Special Events[/b]

[b]New Comer Lecture[/b] – I think this has the potential of being something special. Each year moving forward the “New Comer Lecture” will feature someone who is unknown to the masses but will be a familiar name to those “in the know”. The goal here is to give someone a chance to get some of the recognition they deserve as an innovator/creator of magic. The identity of the lecturer will remain a mystery up until the time they are introduced. This year’s New Comer will not disappoint.

[b]One Trick Pony Contest[/b] – the goal for convention is to emphasize the Innovation, Creativity and Exploration within the Art. With that in mind we have put together a contest focused on those aspects. The One Trick Pony Contest is all about innovation whether in effect, method or presentation. In other words this contest focuses on originality. Make sure you check out the website for detail - however I do want to mention what first prize will be so you know that your efforts will be rewarded. We have arranged for 3 nights accommodation (room only) in Las Vegas or Orlando. Not bad for a small convention!

[b]Social Jam Hour (Hosted by Eric Jones)[/b] – A few years ago I lectured at “The Second Deal” convention in Atlanta. One of the highlights was a session hosted by Paul Cummins that allowed everyone to share a move, trick or idea they had created or discovered with the group in a “formal” manner. With permission from Jason Alford we are taking the same concept and expanding it to encompass all of facets of close-up magic. Eric Jones will be hosting the event.

[b]The Sleight Club Lecture[/b] – This will be the third year that the “The Sleight Club” (a local group of magic thinkers) will present a new lecture at the Carolina Close-up Convention. To see what Ray Kosby, Eric Jones and Aaron Delong have to say about the “The Sleight Club” take a look at the following post

[url]http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=274071&forum=31[/url]

[url]http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/search_post.php?topic=227448&forum=30&post=5225705[/url]

Of course we will also have a few dealers including Fred’s Books and Tony Miller from RFA Productions.

As you can see we have a great line-up and some cool events. I hope you will make it!

For more details and registration information please visit Http://tricsconvention.com
Great close-up convention line-up.
I'll be a freshmen at Wake Forest next year so hopefully I'll be able to make it. Looks like a great line up.
Glad to see my friend Ricky Boone (Magic Central) is going to be there. Sounds like an awesome line-up.
Bring it on '09! I had a huge blast all three years .... I am excited about 2009
Attended last two conventions.Can't wait until Oct 09.Good convention,friendly people,great magic.

Fred
Wow! what a lineup. I for one am looking forward to it.
Who's Steve Beam? :)
This is always a great "small" convention. Scott has really put together a solid lineup of lecturers. Plus,I'm hearing there will be a few other recognizable names attending. The Newcomer Lecture is intriguing and the Social Jam Hour - hosted by Eric Jones - will be fun.

Good to see Fred Mitchell and Tony Miller - and Rosie, I hope - will be there. Fred always goes home with some of my cash and I'll send Tony home with some refreshments from Brooklyn.

Looking forward to October.
Sounds like a great time! Maybe I should come too.

Ha Ha Ha Harrey Hay is outta here.
Can't wait for this convention. Last year was a blast, this year will be even better!
Woot!

I can't freakin' wait for this convention! Scott could have paid me $1.50 to perform, and I still would have done it; the guys he's lined up are incredible, and I'm just honored to be working with them.

And lest we not forget that one of the killer guys that will be kicking buttocks at the convention is none other than the convention organizer himself, Scott Robinson. Anyone who's ever read Trapdoor knows he's got the goods.

Bring your game face!

Tyler Wilson
[quote]
On 2009-03-01 17:06, Mick Ayres wrote:
Who's Steve Beam? :)
[/quote]

Mick, do you think you will be able to attended? It would be good to see you.
Mick who?
You know, Mick!
[quote]
On 2009-03-08 11:51, magicalwishes wrote:
Mick who?
[/quote]

Touche, Hickory. :)

Tony, I'm going to give it a serious shot. The advantage of performing for my client is that I am on stage A LOT. The disadvantage is that my weekends are always booked.

However, this event is far enough out that my show producer might be able to rearrange the schedule. I'll let you know. It would be good to break bread with you again.

Warm regards,
Mick
Just kidding Mick ... you are a great musician ;)

What instrument do you play?

See ya real soon!
I just noticed there will be a contest .... with a nice prize! I'm enterting .... who else?
Mick, I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Contest?! What is the time limit?
YES! I see the rules are up now ..... And wowie zowie ... what a prize .... check it out .... http://www.tricsconvention.com/special.html

See ya real sooooooooon
Thanks for the link magicalwishes and your not just whistling dixie those are great prizes.
Hey Scott, I saw you at the WCM just before the show Sat night. I didn't hang around much that weekend, and was sorry I didn't walk over and say hi. I saw Steve Beam as well.

Looks like an awesome line up for your convention. I will probably make my way out there for this. I wish you guys the best!
Scott line up looks great! Great hanging with you at WCM. Can "kid"magicians come to the closeup convention?

Ken
Scott - I hate we didn't get to hang out - I had a few things I wanted to show you. I hope you make it in October.

Ken - I expect you to be there! I think it will eb worth th etrip just to see Decamps.

-Scott

http://www.tricsconvention.com
I must admit, Rose and I are both looking forward to this! Kevin, we will bring you some Ohio loving! And We put together a nice prize package for the convention.
Tyler...glad you held-out for the full two bucks. Looking forward to meeting you.

Tony...I never got it from Ohio, before. Guess that puts me on the bonus plan.
This is going to be the convention of the year. Be a part of it or kick yourself for missing it.
Ok. I'm there.
Robert, How have you been buddy? I will see you there.
The Moreland will be there ... clanging coins and floating cards?! BE THERE OR BE NOT THERE!

See ya real soon!
[quote]
On 2009-03-18 16:57, ttorres wrote:
Robert, How have you been buddy? I will see you there.
[/quote]

Doing well Tony. It has been too long. Yeah I haven't done a convention in a while. I have been bench pressing copies of Greater Magic to get in shape. My guns should be blazing by October.
All hail Tenyo,
Robbie
So I hear the surprise guest will be someone awesome? Anyone know who it might be?

I heard some rumors but not sure I believe them.

See ya real soon!
[quote]
On 2009-03-27 23:34, magicalwishes wrote:
So I hear the surprise guest will be someone awesome? Anyone know who it might be?

I heard some rumors but not sure I believe them.

[/quote]

Rumors...? Let's hear 'em.
Will Fred Mitchell be there? I don't see his name on the dealer list now.
Hey Kevin

Fred had something come up and will not be able to make it this year. I'm very disappointed but these things sometimes happens.

I'm working on a replacement "book dealer" that will make everyone smile. I'll let everyone know what happens.
This will be a great convention. Its been great in the past, and this year should be even better.
Hey Brandon

I hope you are going to make it!
I plan on making it ... I also think the contest would be fun ... anyone else doing the contest?

Sea yuh rill soown!
Quick Update

We have added a new dealer! One of the top book dealers around, H & R Books will be attending.

-Scott

[quote]
On 2009-05-23 10:29, Scottroms wrote:
We have added a new dealer! One of the top book dealers around, H & R Books will be attending.

[/quote]

Excellent news. Don't forget to add them to the website.
[quote]
On 2009-03-06 14:18, Tyler Wilson wrote:

I can't freakin' wait for this convention! Scott could have paid me $1.50 to perform, and I still would have done it; the guys he's lined up are incredible, and I'm just honored to be working with them.
[/quote]

Wait a second... Scott IS paying me $1.50 to be there!

What the heck?!!

I NEVER should have done my own bargaining.

Looking forward to it all the same,

Geoff
Sounds like a great line up.

Apparently Scott been working his a** off to book great talent and dealers.

Hope word gets out to the rest of the country!!!!

This will be worth it!

His "5 minute limit" contest sounds perfect. Everyone has a least one powerhouse effect that they do.

Bring It On! and win 3 nights in Vegas!
Just saw that H&R will be there. That's GREAT news. I'll start putting away some coin so I can buy me some books. Woo hoo!
So is anyone else on here planning to attend?
I am planning on attending very excited to meet new ppl and try to improve myself
I will see yall there? Did I say that right?
I will see yall there? Did I say that right?
It's "I'll see yall ther!"

see yall suwn
Just registered. See youse guys reeel soooon.
Does anybody attending this convention live remotely close to the Winston-Salem area? If so, PM me. I wont have a car my first semester at WFU and would be happy to pitch in for gas.
I'll be there. Looking forward to meeting you all.
This is only a month and a half away. The line up for this convention is incredible and should be lots of fun. See you there!
Look for an event schedule to be posted sometime this weekend.

http://www.tricsconvention.com/
The event schedule is up now.

http://www.tricsconvention.com/
I see the show times now, but does anyone know what time the competition is? I have family coming to watch and just want to tell them when to be there
I don't think there was a competition scheduled other than the One Trick Pony Contest, Saturday at noon. You may want to contact Scott Robinson directly.
Hefemexy

Kevin is correct - the One Trick Pony Contest is on Saturday at 12:00. Make sure you check out the rules at http://www.tricsconvention.com/. Click on the Special Events link.

Also fill free to contact the contest Chairperson - Chastain Criswell (magicbyenigma@hotmail.com) and he can provide details.

Look forward to meeting you!
I'll be there
Bump
Only one month until the "unofficial" start of CCC. Looks like I'll be there Thursday evening. Anyone else?
I'll be in on Thurs.
Me too.
I'll be there Thursday.
I'll be there on Thursday as well!
[quote]
On 2009-09-05 20:32, Bill Citino wrote:
I'll be there on Thursday as well!
[/quote]

I am noticing a lot of familiar names here! I am just thinking of the last time I was at a close up convention in North Carolina!
Tony

There are many great guys coming. There are a few differences than teh convention you are refering to . . .

1. Nobody will get stiffed
2. I'll be there through the entire convention.
3. and most importantly - Tony Miller is going to be nice! Just seeing this should be worth the price of admission.

-Scott
Just three more weeks - this is going to be an astounding weekend! Scott, how close are you to selling this puppy out?
Hey hannibal...You might not remember me, but we met at winter carnival...I'll be at this one hope to meet you again. Also does anyone know how much it will be if a family member wants to come see just the contest. I've emailed but still haven't gotten any answer.
Hi Hefemexy

I sent you a PM about your family members. Feel free to contact me directly @ Scottroms@hotmail.com.
Hannibal you had to go and say something about selling this puppy out. I guess I can no longer be the consummate procrastinator. I'm registering today.
Well actually, my loving wife registered for me. Procrastination intact.
Wish I could join you guys...hope it is a great one!
I wish you could be there too.
Just signed up...
This is going to be a great weekend of magic and friends. Can't wait!

Doc
Doc, well said.
Is anyone planning to enter the "One Trick Pony" contest?
What, nobody?
Yes ttorres I plan on entering...
Yes ttorres I plan on entering...
I am coming... looking forward to meeting some new people.

S.Segal
[quote]
On 2009-09-16 22:29, S.Segal wrote:
I am coming... looking forward to meeting some new people.

S.Segal
[/quote]

Looking forward to meeting you there, Syd.
Hefemexy, I will be looking forward to seeing your competition piece.
Thx I hope you veterans take it easy on a newbie
I was planning on attending, but knee surgery on the second is going to put the kibosh on it.
I was hoping when I saw your name on the post that you would be there. I guess
that Henry and Helen will represent Columbia at the convention. Good luck with the
surgery, I don't want to say Break a Leg.

Helen
I guess if you have to miss this convention, knee surgery is a good reason. Good luck I hope everything goes well.
I'm coming, too. It's going to be awesome!

Caleb
Cjmagicman, what day are you coming in? I will be there Friday.
Planning on arriving on Friday morning.

Caleb
Caleb glad you are making it!

Steve Reynolds is flying in on Thursday night, we well be there on Friday morning.

Doc
Only one week to go before we hit the road to Charlotte. This year's CCC is going to be BIG.
I can hardly wait.
Man... only a few days way.
Only 3 days to before we kick this thing off!

I want to thank all of those who are attending. Looks like this year we will double attendance from years past. I’m looking forward to meeting all the new attendee’s and hope they all become a permanent part of the Tri C’s Family.

See you all Friday!
I will be heading back into town late Thursday night. I have a couple of things I have to do first thing but I will be there just as quick as I can. I wouldn't miss a single moment.
From talking with Scott this is going to be a GREAT convention,see everyone this weekend!

Doc
I'm calling this weekend a big success. Huge fun and great magic! See you next year.
Man I wished I was there. Geoff wiliams was my roomie on the cruise for the PCAM. Worked with him and Eric Decamps. The both killed there and I am sure they did at this closeup convention.

Ken
My ninja's said to say hi and thx to everyone for such a great time
Hefemexy, That whole ninja thing was great. Now for those people that don't know what we are talking about. That means they missed the convenient... so don't tell them what we are talking about. <<grin>>
[quote]
On 2009-10-04 21:44, hefemexy wrote:
My ninja's said to say hi and thx to everyone for such a great time
[/quote]

Loved the ninjas, I hope you enjoyed your prize. You be careful out there...

Tony Miller
Tony,

I loved the ninja's too and would have enjoyed a prize. <<grin» By the way, thanks for everything your efforts helped to make it great convenient.

Tony
This was an awesome convention. My hat goes to Scott and crew for putting together a terrific 2 day convention. This is one of those conventions where the calibre of the attendees is on par with the talent. Being able to jam with guys like Syd Segal, Ray Kosby, Joel Givens etc in the lobby just rocks!!!!

The highlight for me was the evening close-up show featuring the very hilarious Tyler Wilson(who actually used ClipShift for laymen), Geoff Williams(who was as funny as always), Nate Kranzo(who's heartbreak routine killed) and Eric DeCamps who provided a thought provoking exerpt from his full show Pure Magic, and with Hannibal as the MC. One of the best evening shows I've ever attended. Next year is going to be HARD to follow.
Message: Posted by: No Show the Magician (Oct 5, 2009 07:18PM)
I know I had fun. Hanging with Wilson, Aviles, Citino, Mead, Jones, Givens, Miller (the Tony brand), Williams, Kranzo, Criswell, Hedges, and more. I couldn't agree more with you Eric. The calibre of attendees was great.

Missed Moreland and Ryan this year. Hope to make it again next year if I can.

And ya know... someday we'll find it...

Aaron "the other three letter word" DeLong
Well this was what I plan to be the first of many CCC's. Excellent event, excellent talent. Scott does a great job. Enjoyed time with Eric Jones who shared his talents. Eric is a first class guy with great coin and card moves. Hannibal is always a pleasure to watch wether he's doing magic or emceeing, geeze, I owe him a deck of cards.....Great bunch of people to hang out with.
Glen

I'm glad you had a great time. I learned a lot this year and will put that knowledge to use to make next years run a little bit better.

Tyler, Geoff, Kranzo, Steve, Eric (Decamps), Eric (Jones), Aaron - thanks so much for making this such a special event.
Hey guys, I had a blast hanging out this past weekend. Eric, I think you really have magical powers. DeLong, you sweat a lot, but you have great beverage taste. Torres it was great to have you back in town. Hefemexy I think you had a cool routine and I think it's pretty cool that you didn't ditch anything and the judges thought you did. Way to go man.
Shhh it's our lil secret Chris lol, and thx I will continue to work hard and improve just came from Ammar's lecture so it's back to the drawing board
[quote]
On 2009-10-07 21:04, hagemagic wrote:
Hey guys, I had a blast hanging out this past weekend. Eric, I think you really have magical powers. DeLong, you sweat a lot, but you have great beverage taste. Torres it was great to have you back in town. Hefemexy I think you had a cool routine and I think it's pretty cool that you didn't ditch anything and the judges thought you did. Way to go man.
[/quote]

The problem is though, And this was stated to hex, that if you work really hard to convince the judges that you are doing bad ditches when you are not...well, you get those results... I see enough bad sleights that I am willing to accept them at face value... So pretending you are doing bad sleights... well it is its own reward...
Hey Guys,
Between the brownies, the anti-cubes, and the hands-down BEST fake toppiting I have ever witnessed (courtesy of hefemexy), this was one of the best conventions I have been to in a long long time.

It was amazing getting to meet up with old friends, and meet some new ones, too (Eric Jones, Bill Citino, Eric Richardson, etc.), so as much as the talent ROCKED (with the exception of yours truly) the attendees truly made this convention unforgettable.

I can't wait for next year!

Tyler Wilson