(Close Window)
Topic: Encyclopedia of suspensions and leviations by Bruce Armstrong
Does anyone have any oppinions on this book? I have read that people like it but how well does this book describe the illusions so I can actually make a levitation effect for a stage show? I was hoping to find a method in which I can easily set up for during a show and possibly be able to do it with a random audience member.
While it describes a number of methods for various levitations and suspensions and has a fair number of illustrations as well, for most of them you would most likely still need to draw up a set of building plans before you began construction.

Also, many require steel/iron gimmicks, and so some serious welding skills would be necessary for nearly all of those.

All that said, the book contains a wealth of information, and I have no doubt that you would be able to find something to suit your needs.

You might also want to check out "Device and Illusion" by Jim Steinmeyer. There's a terrific board suspension he calls "Hot Air" that utilizes a child from the audience. Dimensions and materials are included in the description of the method and props, so you wouldn't have to draw up a separate set of plans.
I agree with Donal -- the book will expose you to a variety of different principles and techniques, and is fascinating reading. But I doubt that you could construct a working model from any of these descriptions. SETH
Great book , like sharpe style!
Just like the title says.. it's an "Encyclopedia" a ton of knowledge is in there.. Like above you may not be able to build.. but with sooooo many methods.. IT may spark something of your own they you can create from all the ideas.
Is this book just about personal levitation or are there also levitations involving smaller objects such as balls, bills, cards, etc?
It's solely about the levitation or suspension of a human being.
Over the years, I've built and used many things from this book.
For an illusionist, it's a must have book.
Ted L