(Close Window)
Topic: Penguin Magic
I ordered some supplies recently from Penguin magic due to their low prices (compared to other online shops--at least concerning the items I was purchasing). I recieved the package yesterday. Or at least I recieved what was left of the package. It was obviously water damaged and looked like it was run over by a semi truck! It had the top part of the box with a few cardboard pieces "rubberbanded" to make it look like a box (sort of). Their actually wasnt enough left of the box to have anything in it!

My postman apologized and said that was the shape it was in when he got it. He said that I was pretty much out of luck, because it was not insured. They put a big sticker on the box that said (CONTENTS DAMAGED AND OR MISSING)

I called Penguin Magic last night to re-order the items. The person on the phone wouldnt hear of it. He offered to send the order again at their expense. I asked if I could at LEAST pay the shipping because it was not their fault that the package was damaged in transit, and I opted not to purchase insurance. He wouldnt hear of it. So Penguin is sending me the replacement order.

You just cant ask for better service than that. Incredible in todays world. That attitude creates a loyalty with customers that cant be beat.

Others could learn a lot from this example. I give Penguin a perfect rating when it comes to customer service!
I have always had really good service from Penguin- they seem to care!

Jim
Penguin's shipping is always very good. Well packed, shipped quickly. Once I didn't receive my order and they shipped it again and included a bonus gift for the trouble.
Got my "The Classic Force" DVD today. Ordered it october 26th 2008.

Hĺkan
:wavey:
When I started reading your post, my initial thought was that you were going to start railing againt Penguin for doing such a bad job for something that wasn't their fault. I was VERY pleasantly suprised to continue reading how you were just writing to praise their wonderful customer support. So many people are so quick to write about bad experiences, it was very nice to read about your GOOD experience with Penguin. Thanks!
I agree that Penguin is tops with customer service. Never had a problem with them. Plus you get the free shipping, fair prices, decent bonuses, accurate record-keeping (which is huge, and sets them apart by itself), etc. They seem to be very good at what they do.
Have you noticed that penguin magic's warehouse at

Penguin Magic Warehouse
3299 Monier Circle
Unit A
Rancho Cordova, CA 95742

is just down the road and walking distance to Murphy's Magic Supplies, Inc.??

11500 Gold Dredge Way
Rancho Cordova, CA 95742

Does anyone know if they are the same company?? I believe that Mark Murphy and Micheal Maxwell are good friends.....Maxwell + Murphy = Penguin Magic Owner??

Is it just me or is this too close to be a Coincidence. Its no wonder they can sell things at just above cost...
[quote]
On 2009-04-07 22:55, magicgeekone wrote:
Have you noticed that penguin magic's warehouse at

Penguin Magic Warehouse
3299 Monier Circle
Unit A
Rancho Cordova, CA 95742

is just down the road and walking distance to Murphy's Magic Supplies, Inc.??

11500 Gold Dredge Way
Rancho Cordova, CA 95742

Does anyone know if they are the same company?? I believe that Mark Murphy and Micheal Maxwell are good friends.....Maxwell + Murphy = Penguin Magic Owner??

Is it just me or is this too close to be a Coincidence. Its no wonder they can sell things at just above cost...
[/quote]

I don't know if I'd go so far as to speculate that they are the same person, but I'm sure that Penguin is deliberately set up close to Murphy's as part of their business model. That said, Penguin's prices have really jumped up in the last few months. Now everything is discounted about 8%. Returning customers can get the additional 10%, and then, of course, there is the free shipping. So it's not a bad deal, but it's far from the days when you could buy at almost 40% off.
Magicgeekone,

Hah, yes, Maxwell Murphy's name is just a funny coincidence.

While we love the products they sell, we have no special relationship with Murphy's Magic Supplies besides the standard wholesale/retail one.

Acar Altinsel
Penguin Magic
I'm not complaining just an observation. I LOVE penguin and use them all the time I just bought 10 magic DVDS from them for $198.00....$19.80 ea .......LOVE IT
Penguin Magic is great! I give them perfect score.
Penguin is great awesome deals
Am I mistaken or has it been awhile since Penguin Magic has run a promotion? They used to have promotions all of the time for the flimsiest of reasons (in honor of President's Day, because of David Blaine's new special, for no reason at all). I don't check the site often, and I probably haven't ordered anything in over a year, but I don't mind getting their freebies (which I usually give away).
You're right, they haven't run a promotion in a while. However, at least some of their prices seem to be discounted again. Speaking of Penguin, I ordered from them this week. Placed an order on Monday night/Tuesday morning for a few items, including Paul Curry's book, "World's Beyond." Chose free shipping and promptly the next day my order page was updated with the USPS Priority Mail tracking number. Items arrived well packed in a decent sized box at my office in New York City on Thursday. You really can't beat their service.
Their promotions page says they ran something from "Now until July 1st." http://www.penguinmagic.com/promotions.php

I agree about their excellent prices and quality service. They're the best online dealer, in my view.
Penguin is awesome, The Trickery, two thumbs down.

Jim
I've ordered 3-4 DVD's from penguin, and have had a good go at it. good delivery speed, good packaging, all in all I couldn't complain
Penguin is having a one day deal running now and ending tomorrow at 1pm (not sure what time zone, probably Pacific Time). Free Penguin Monte with two sets of gimmicked cards and free Bicycle 808 deck with matching gimmicks. Here is part of the email they sent me today:

"We're taking the regular Penguin Monte trick which ALREADY comes with 2 SETS of gimmicked Bicycle brand playing cards, advanced handling and a downloadable instructional video from world-renowned magic coach Oz Pearlman (normally $14.95), and we're throwing in a custom, totally vintage faded DECK of Bicycle 808s with a BONUS set of matching gimmicks! And on top of all of this, we're also including "More For Your Monte" an e-book by card expert Jeremy Luton that teaches THREE more killer card tricks you can do with the gimmicked Penguin Monte cards.

Oh sorry -- did I forget to mention we're giving you all of this cool stuff for FREE?

So what's the bad news? Supplies are limited so we're only doing it for ONE DAY - that's 24 HOURS ONLY!

We love the holiday season and we want you to be prepared before it starts. So place ANY order for physical goods before 1pm THURSDAY November 12th and we will make sure to include the Penguin Monte Party Pack for zip, zero, nada, nothing :)

We have some big plans for this holiday season, so we wanted to warm you up slowly. "
Penguin Rocks!!!!!!!

today I received my package.. all my stuffs plus a Pack M&M ! and wax!

jajaja..

excellent as always
Penguin for me is PERFECT.
My experience with Penguin Magic is really bad and I don't know why.

I purchased an item from Penguin Magic. They packed it poorly and it got damaged. After much hassle, I finally got them and they said ship it back, they would pay shipping back, and they would send out another. So they send out another but it too was damaged. So I had to ship it back again after about a month of trying to get a hold of them. They said they would pay the shipping again. I reminded them they never paid the first shipping for me. They said ship it back and they would refund me the money for the item and the shipping. So I sent it back and now it has been few weeks again and they haven't refunded me any money. Emails goes un answered and their phone is always busy. So no response.

This is very frustrating and as of now, I am doubting whether this is a reputable company. If they ever respond I will follow up. Heck I will follow up if they don't too.

randall
I am happy to report that Penguin came through for me, finally. It took awhile but I am very pleased with the way this situation turned out. Now you can add my voice to their approval as a reputable magic company. Thanks Penguin.
Randall
Reminds me of the time years ago when I had ordered from another online company (I won't say) anyway, to my horror, when the package arrived at my doorstep, and I found it, someone had torn it open, stolen the contents, and stuffed the box with grass, dirt, rocks, and an old beat up, empty beer can. (Least they could have done was left the beer in it)

Anyway, with that company, I was S.O.L.

But I have to say that with Penguin, times I have ordered from them, my service has always been excellent.
Sounds like I should give Penquin a chance. It seems that they provide very good service. I do appreciate the comments.
I called in an order yesterday. Spoke to the head honcho. He was courteous and helpful as can be.

Recommended.
[quote]
On 2010-03-17 09:03, daffydoug wrote:
I called in an order yesterday. Spoke to the head honcho. He was courteous and helpful as can be.

Recommended.
[/quote]

Maxwell does answewr the phone, e-mails.
Although I tend to buy more from the original creators than from bigger box retailers, I must say that when an effect that I have missed comes to my attention after it has been wholesaled, Penguin is where I look for it. Prices are the best and service has always been good.
[quote]
On 2010-01-08 18:15, randallmagic wrote:
My experience with Penguin Magic is really bad and I don't know why.

I purchased an item from Penguin Magic. They packed it poorly and it got damaged. After much hassle, I finally got them and they said ship it back, they would pay shipping back, and they would send out another. So they send out another but it too was damaged. So I had to ship it back again after about a month of trying to get a hold of them. They said they would pay the shipping again. I reminded them they never paid the first shipping for me. They said ship it back and they would refund me the money for the item and the shipping. So I sent it back and now it has been few weeks again and they haven't refunded me any money. Emails goes un answered and their phone is always busy. So no response.

This is very frustrating and as of now, I am doubting whether this is a reputable company. If they ever respond I will follow up. Heck I will follow up if they don't too.

randall
[/quote]

I know this is an old thread but I am having a similar issue with them, only I received a trick that is missing the main gimmick...I was told nobody else had problems with this trick, and perhaps I am following the instructions incorrectly. After many tries, I finally reached a live person, who said they would send me a prepaid shipping label, so I could just exchange it. My follow up email inquiries have gone unanswered. I am nearly ready to use yelp and every other means, including Facebook and twitter to let everyone know what poor customer service I am currently receiving. Oh, and to top it off, an additional item I ordered was substituted with an entirely different product...
Does anyone have any information on how to contact the owners? I figured that would be my last resort before sharing my story as far and wide as possible.
Ok, I finally got a response from Gayle, who seems very helpful...I'll keep you posted.
Well, usually when my order went bad, I just sent them an e-mail and wait for two days max. It never went over than 48 hours to get a great response, including replacement for anything.

Recently Penguin has once again made me satisfied as their loyal customer. I know that every now and then, some purchases will go wrong (defect items, wrong items sent, missing items, etc) but I still believe in their great customer service and I can see that they focus on that strongly.

I always feel happy and excited every time I order something from Penguin, and Acar can be reached via e-mail and he will send you a friendly response.
No complaints for,Penguin from me. Always a good experience and I've ordered way to many times as I'm sure you have as well. Lol. +1. For Penguin.

Video of them packing your items
Video demos
Public reviews
The fact that they have helped some of the smaller guys sell their product.
Online chat with VERY timely answers.
Phone #
Accepts Paypal
Cheap prices
Great customer service
COOL BOX PROMOTIONS are at ridiculous prices!
Fast shipping
They show a time limit clock for same day shipping.
Option for FREE shipping on dvds
Online lectures. This has got to be one of the single most smartest things that could have been thought of. Monetarily and for the magic community! Great job! (Even though I havent attended one).

Lets see what else?
M&M's? :D
Penguin gives great customer service. The do stand behind the tricks they sell. If you are not happy with a purchase- they will make it right. I've always had stellar service from them.
Penguin has always been my goto place. Though the freindly feel is starting to melt away since they haven't had any Vlogs from anyone lately.
Agreed. Penguin has good customer service. I've never had a problem.
I must say no one comes close to penguin

I could order from a UK dealer and be lucky if my item arrived within a week

Ordering from penguin in the USA is much Quicker and the prices are better
What's with the new Penguin website? Personally, I liked the previous one much better.
I agree with Daffy.
Keith
I enjoyed the color and graphics and such. This new site seems clinical and sterile. I'm sure they are trying to "improve" things, but I think they've shot themselves in the foot.
I'll tell you what: Hank Lee may have been a bad boy, but his website was a winner. I always found myself going back because the site had inherent eye appeal. To me it was the most interesting of all magic sites I've ever visited. The site itself was MAGICAL. No one, in my opinion, has ever come close to that site in eye appeal. (For what it's worth).
I don't like Steven's Emporiums new wb site at all. Hard to search.
+ 1 for fantastic customer service from penguin.
Penguin Magic is my number 1 stop and shop place . you can't ask for better customer service anywhere .
I want to retract my earlier statement about Penguin shooting thenself in the foot. It was hasty on my part, and I hereby voluntarily eat humble pie. Hey. I was wrong.

Now in response to your post, I can only heartily endorse what you just said with the utmost of enthusiasm. Penguin rules! Their customer service is sterling; nonpariel. In a my life of purchasing magic, (decades worth of money spent) I have never, never, NEVER been treated so good by a magic dealer. Penguin has a way of making you feel like a king.

Long live Penguin magic, and may they prosper and flourish for decades to come!
Love Penguin. I almost get more excited anticipating the video of them packing your order than the anticipation of it arriving.
Yeah, isn't that splendid? They actually show the "magic hands" packing your order. It always whets my appetite for my coming magic and gets me excited to see that it "exists" out there in Penguin land and is on it's way to my mailbox.

To my knowledge, they are the only company that does that.
Message: Posted by: somethingupmysleeve (Jan 2, 2015 09:43AM)
I've looked at various on-line stores, and my current choice is Penguin. They seem to have a large collection, and I like that reviews are included. I also find the prices reasonable - free flat-pack shipping to the UK is very helpful. And yes - the 'magic hands' packing is a funny bonus!

Jon
And they include the NEGATIVE reviews as well as the positive ones. Heck, I've written a few myself.
I've always been so pleased with Penguin magic. They have outstanding, honest and ethical customer service. I really appreciate that you instantly know if a product is in stock or not; in fact, they do not let you order a product if it is not currently in stock-save for preorders. Their prices are fair and the review function is very helpful.

Other than ordering directly from the creator/manufacturer at times, they are an outstanding place to buy magic.
Have you noticed that (not just here on the Café), reviews of Penguin are CONSISTENTLY positive?

The same things are common to reviews of Penguin: Great customer service, fair prices, speedy shipping, etc. When you put it all together (reviews on this and other sites) you get a CONSENSUS, and the overall consensus is very positive.

Of course, you are going to run into an occasional grumbler, but that's life. Some people come out of the womb complaining. But overall, you don't hear negative junk about Penguin. They have a sterling reputation, and they've earned it.
Message: Posted by: somethingupmysleeve (Jan 3, 2015 03:49PM)
Yes, agreed - negative reviews (or even 3 or 4 out of 5 stars) gives good balance. Combined with the discussion/reviews on this forum makes me feel like I know what I'm getting!

[quote]On Jan 2, 2015, daffydoug wrote:
And they include the NEGATIVE reviews as well as the positive ones. Heck, I've written a few myself. [/quote]
[quote]On Jan 3, 2015, daffydoug wrote:
Have you noticed that (not just here on the Café), reviews of Penguin are CONSISTENTLY positive?

The same things are common to reviews of Penguin: Great customer service, fair prices, speedy shipping, etc. When you put it all together (reviews on this and other sites) you get a CONSENSUS, and the overall consensus is very positive.

Of course, you are going to run into an occasional grumbler, but that's life. Some people come out of the womb complaining. But overall, you don't hear negative junk about Penguin. They have a sterling reputation, and they've earned it. [/quote]

Totally agree with you.

When a business is devoted to its customers, offers fair prices, is honest and ethical, and goes the extra mile to ensure a happy and satisfied customer-they will win everytime. This is what the most successful companies do (not just magic) and therefore, Penguin has succeeded in being the go to magic supplier with a superior reputation for a reason.
It's tha golden rule. and they are applying it, and it's working for them like ..like, um. well uh, like MAGC?
I'll also mention that I am impressed with the quality of their download engine and the ease of viewing an online video once purchased. You can watch it from any portable device and don't even necessarily have to download it. Another way they are above and beyond the rest of the pack.
Absolutely! I only have my I-phone for internet. No home p.c. With Penguin I can watch ALL my purchases without a hitch. I wish I could say the same for another dealer who shall remain nameless, but starts with an E. (Nuff said). Anyway, I purchased a download there and two or three years later I STILL can't watch what I payed for. I went round and round with customer service, but the bottom line is are you gong to rip me off or not? If I can't view what I bought, then no matter what you say, I feel ripped off. So, E., I've given my dollars to Penguin ever since.

Talk is cheap. I suggested strongly that they follow Penguin's example on downloads, but they must think I'm stupid. Must think their way is better.
Been burned by E before several years ago myself. Not a fan of their customer service or their prices to be honest. Haven't given them any dollars since then. Penguin is main source or direct from the creator/manufacturer. Penguin gets it and understands the concept of a happy customer means repeat business.
Yeah. It's such a simple concept. You'd think all other dealers would catch on. Of course the Elf learned his lesson the HARD way. Perhaps Bubba "pounded" the lesson home to him. (Not the same E., btw).
Old thread, but Penguin is still working hard to keep our business. Really appreciate the focus on the customer experience.
Y.W.
[quote]On May 3, 2018, momomagic wrote:
Old thread, but Penguin is still working hard to keep our business. Really appreciate the focus on the customer experience. [/quote]

Yes, an old thread , but I want to take this opportunity to say that over the years I've been so impressed with the customer service at Penguin Magic.
I wasn't a fan at first , but they won me over with the great prices, fast shipping , excellent customer service.

The latest example: I ordered the Linking Rubber Bands by Henry Evans . That effect is great , but if you've got the Henry Evans DVDs from L&L or his Penguin Live lecture you know that the gimmick which comes with his Linking Rubber Bands can be used for several other effects . When the Linking Rubber Bands arrived the gimmick was broken, cracked in two. I contacted Penguin customer service and they immediately shipped me a replacement, no haggling , they didn't even ask me to return the broken gimmick so I didn't have to trek down to the post office to send it to them (I had emailed them a photo of the cracked gimmick to show what it looked liked when it arrived) .

I've found that arranging returns/exchanges/refunds with many other dealers is often a major hassle, so this is the kind of thing that keeps me going back to Penguin.

I have to concur. Penguin has treated me similarly good. Wide selection, great customer service..can't be beat.