(Close Window)
Topic: The best
There have been several threads recently about people/shows etc., being [b]overrated[/b]. Lets have one about people who are the best in their chosen field.

I'll start.

Karch Kiraly. The greatest volleyball player ever. Hands down. 3 gold medals (two indoor, one sand) twice voted by the FIVB (International Federation of Volleyball) "worlds greatest player".
Then how come the FIVB called Lorenzo Bernardi "Volleyball Player of the Century"?
You guys are like...uh...geniuses or something. Arguing about who is the best in [i]volleyball[/i]?

The Babe was the best in baseball, ever. Period.

Pele was the best in soccer.

Michael Jordan was the best in basketball.

But...Lord Jesus help to do do the right thing here...[i][b]VOLLEYBALL[/i][/b]?
[quote]
On 2009-03-09 15:05, stoneunhinged wrote:

Michael Jordan was the best in basketball.
[/quote]
[b]Bogus![/b]

By what standard?
No? Do I have the wrong name? Have I been away that long?

Pistol Pete?

Jerry West?

Those were my childhood heroes. But I thought that Michael Jordan had...uh...ah...done [i]something[/i] better....

No?
I think Jordan was incredible. But I bristle at the notion that he was the best ever. He didn't win the most rings. He didn't score the most points. He never made his teammates better. I don't know who is the best ever, Bill Russell maybe? But I don't automatically accept Jordan like most people do.

I never used to think so, but now I think Tiger is probably the best golfer ever.
I thought of Tiger in the thirty seconds I spent writing my list. But is he really [i]better[/i] than Nicklaus or the golden age golfers? Probably...but from an athletic standpoint? Golf is weird. There are aesthetics involved. Sam Snead is not a legend for the length of his drives.

"Best" is almost always subjective by most measures in sports.

But the Babe...Hey, all of you know I'm a Cal Ripken fan...but the Babe...baseball means the Babe. Period.

I think.
I think he is better than Nickalaus. But it took me a while to come to that conclusion. I didn't really like him that much when he first came on tour.

I think Hogan and Nelson and those guys could play today. But Tiger is just awesome. Awesome. I think it was when he chipped in at the Masters in 2005, a shot that most guys could have put within 10 feet of the hole, that I said to myself; "***. I really think he's the best ever."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE5nxzSljCg

My answer to Lundquists question si "No. No Verne, in my life I have NEVER seen anything like that".
[quote]
On 2009-03-09 14:59, Vandy Grift wrote:
Then how come the FIVB called Lorenzo Bernardi "Volleyball Player of the Century"?
[/quote]

Well it is only 2009.
Hockey: Wayne Gretzky.

Chess: Garry Kasparov.

John
[quote]
On 2009-03-09 15:34, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Hockey: Wayne Gretzky.
[/quote]

Agreed.
I know what you mean. Tiger is indeed awesome.

I swear to God, I remember seeing a TV report on him when he was just a wee lad. He was destined for greatness, somehow.

Kind of depresses me. :(
See this is what I'm talking about. First Jeff, I wanted to start with something I was into. As you might name a Banjo player, I named a volleyball player. Vandy, I didn't know you new much about volleyball. Kiraly played for 20 years or so on the beach and had the most wins. Playing doubles means you have to master all of the skills of volleyball, not just master one of two. Kirlay won while at ucla, the national team, on the beach... Bernardi was an excellent outside hitter (I think he played outside..), but he was no Kiraly.

I have a theory about this stuff. some have actual, born talent. once in a lifetime kind of stuff, others work their a**es off to get where there are/where. Jordan=talent. Bird=worked a** off.
Kasparov seems clear enough.

But then the Fisher question always arises. Before he went insane, perhaps he was the best ever. Should insanity disturb our rational assessment?
Stanley Kubrick

Stevie ray vaughn
For me, Fischers chess (not personal) legacy is lessened by his early retirement. Once he became the world champion, nobody ever got a shot at him. It's one thing to win the title in grand style (and Fischer's ascent was probably the most brilliant) but quite another to fend off a generation of challengers. Kasparov stayed on top from 1986 to 2000. Amazing.

John
[quote]
On 2009-03-09 15:37, kcg5 wrote:
As you might name a Banjo player, I named a volleyball player. [/quote]

I say Earl Scruggs was the best.
Cycling - Eddie Merckz
That's right. Kasparov definitely proved himself to be the best for an entire generation.

But what does "best" mean? Could Garry in his absolute prime have beaten Bobby in his absolute prime? And would that mean that he was the "best"?

Kubrick is a very interesting suggestion. He would definitely be in my top ten.

Stevie? Sorry. An excellent musician, but "best" at what? Blues? No.

Art shouldn't really come into this (though it does! as my discussion with Vandy over golf suggests). Kubrick and Stevie Ray were artists. The "best" is very hard to judge esthetically.

Vandy, I'll give you Scruggs. But again, that's my opinion. Technically, Bela Fleck has done things that Earl hasn't dreamed of.

Eddie Merckz? Goes on my list.
I mean "artists" in the most basic definition.

Kurt Vonnegut.
[quote]
On 2009-03-09 15:51, stoneunhinged wrote:
Vandy, I'll give you Scruggs. But again, that's my opinion. Technically, Bela Fleck has done things that Earl hasn't dreamed of.
[/quote]

I knew you might bring up Fleck. And that's true. But I still have to go with Scruggs. Even Fleck must play "Scruggs" style once in a while.
Vandy, volleyball?
Bruce Lee.

Never had to defend himself against a host of challengers. He died too young to have that long term Kasparov effect.

And he was a movie Kung Fu guy, not a tournament competitor.

Still...

Bruce Lee.

Anyone for Marylin Monroe?

I'm off to prepare for a class tomorrow. I'm darn interested in this discussion. Can't wait to see what's here when I wake up.

Nighty nite!
[quote]
On 2009-03-09 15:46, spatlind wrote:
Cycling - Eddie Merckz
[/quote]

I have to agree! Second - Big Mig!
I don't know. All I know is that the FIVB called Lorenzo Bernardi "Volleyball Player of the Century". They may have twice named Kiraly "Player of the Year" but the fact remains. I'd really have to break it down and look at all thier accomplishments. I had a friend that was in LOVE with Kiraly, and I used to give him a hard time just for the fun of it.
Toots Thielemans.
Speaking of cycling...

[i][b]I'M[/i][/b] the BEST NYC Bicycle Tour Guide!

Don't take my word for it...take the tour and find out for yourself!

:cheers:
Ali

Etta james

forte
Greg Louganis is the best Springboard Diver that ever hit the boards!
I was going to say Forte, and I agree 100 percent.
Vandy, not trying to argue. Just wondering if you played.

Bernardi also played professionally for years in italy, where volleyball is like the nba. If Kiraly had that exposure....
Never really played. I have no hops.
Ok, Phelps or Spitz?
Spitz!

He did it the old fashioned way...no Hi-tech suits.

and he swam through "Hard Water".
No bong either.
[quote]
On 2009-03-09 16:16, agent61 wrote:
No bong either.
[/quote]

hahahahha.

Im with justin on this one. plus he had that !@#$%in' mustache that must have slowed him down
Tony hawk
Jimi Hendrix
For what they did, monty python

ozzie smith
Sergei Bubka
Victor Borge!
[quote]
On 2009-03-09 15:57, Vandy Grift wrote:
[quote]
On 2009-03-09 15:51, stoneunhinged wrote:
[/quote]

I knew you might bring up Fleck. And that's true. But I still have to go with Scruggs. Even Fleck must play "Scruggs" style once in a while.
[/quote]

Back to the banjos for a sec'...comparing Earl to Bela is apples and oranges, guys. Bela played his last traditional bluegrass tune long ago. He's taken the instrument to a whole 'nother level. Guys like Tony Trischka are right up there with him. But even Bela recognizes he stood on Earl's shoulders to get where he is today.

I play clawhammer style on the five-string merrywang...so Fred Cockerham's got 'em ALL beat in my book.

Best,
Mick
Sax - Boots Randolph.
Stock cars - Richard Petty.

Bob.
Scientists:
-Carl Gauss
-Antoine Lavoisier
-Charles Darwin
-Albert Einstein
-Niels Bohr
-Richard Feynmann
-Isaac Newton

Inventors:
-Leonardo da Vinci
-Nicola Tesla

Philosophers:
-Immanuel Kant
-Socrates
-Plato
-Aristotle
-Sextus Empiricus
-st. Thomas Acquinas
-st. Augustine
-Nagarjuna
-Zhuang Zi
-Confucius
-Maurice Merleau-Ponty

Sport Fighters:
-Fedor Emelianenko
-Sugar Ray Robinson
-Mas Oyama

Guitar:
-Dick Dale

Warriors:
-Miyamoto Musashi ("Musashi is said to have fought over 60 duels and was never defeated, although this is a conservative estimate, most likely not accounting for deaths by his hand in major battles.")
-Simo Häyhä (best sniper, 542 kills)

Generals:
-Yue Fei
-Bai Qi ("Bai Qi slew a total of one million six hundred and fifty thousand soldiers, seized 70 cities of the other 6 States in the Warring States Period. No record has been found to show that he was defeated even once all through his military career.")
-Yi Sun-sin (one of the greatest naval commanders of all time)

Strategists:
-Zhuge Liang
-Sun Tzu
-Sun Bin

Rulers:
-Ying Zheng (1st emperor of China, better known as Qin Shihuangdi).
-Yax Kuk Mo (1st ruler of Copan)
Charles M. Schulz.
God ;)
Steve brooks
[quote]
On 2009-03-09 16:37, spatlind wrote:
Sergei Bubka
[/quote]

Great call.

John
Ying gave a rather lengthy list. My vote in mathematics goes to Carl Friedrich Gauss.
(or is it Karl?)

John
Paul Harvey...
Justin Style...
John Henry Bonham.
Good call with the Bonham
Pee Wee Herman: Best Trouser Snake with a kid's show.
Speaking of the best...one just showed up.

Doug is the best in the world at what he does, bar none.

WORD!
Agreed.
Kasparov wasn't better than Fischer because Fischer was insane, or even because he retired early; he was better than Fischer because he came later, and was able to stand on Fischer's shoulders. But if you don't allow for that sort of thing, then Morphy was probably the best (a good case could be made for Capablanca, as well). If you do allow for it, and just say tough luck to those who came earlier, then yup...Kasparov surpassed him.

With respect to Sugar Ray Robinson, I agree that he was probably the best pound-for-pound, as a welterweight, but you can make a tremendous case for Duran at 135 pounds. Prior to the first Leonard fight, he was a ridiculous 71-1 with something like 60 knockouts. One loss by decision (Esteban DeJesus), which he avenged with two knockouts.

A guy who might have been on the way to challenging for the pound-for-pound ranks is Salvador Sanchez, 43-1-1 when he died at age 23 in a car accident, and he completely dismantled unbeaten Wilfredo Gomez. Hagler would be on the short list, too, along with some old timers like Benny Leonard, Willie Pep, and a few others.

Having wandered from the path of the post, allow me to submit...
Rush drummer Neil Peart. (With all due respect not only to John Bonham, but to Keith Moon)
For what she does, she's the best: Jenna Jameson!
[quote]
On 2009-03-10 17:52, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Kasparov wasn't better than Fischer because Fischer was insane, or even because he retired early; he was better than Fischer because he came later, and was able to stand on Fischer's shoulders. But if you don't allow for that sort of thing, then Morphy was probably the best (a good case could be made for Capablanca, as well). If you do allow for it, and just say tough luck to those who came earlier, then yup...Kasparov surpassed him.[/quote]

[quote]

Rush drummer Neil Peart. (With all due respect not only to John Bonham, but to Keith Moon)
[/quote]

If you're talking about rock drummers, I'm with you on this one.

John
[quote]
On 2009-03-10 18:10, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
[quote]
On 2009-03-10 17:52, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Kasparov wasn't better than Fischer because Fischer was insane, or even because he retired early; he was better than Fischer because he came later, and was able to stand on Fischer's shoulders. But if you don't allow for that sort of thing, then Morphy was probably the best (a good case could be made for Capablanca, as well). If you do allow for it, and just say tough luck to those who came earlier, then yup...Kasparov surpassed him.[/quote]

[quote]

[/quote]

If you're talking about rock drummers, I'm with you on this one.

John
[/quote]
I knew I could count on my Canadian brethren. OK, I was born in the USA, but I was *conceived* in Canada.
As drummers go I think 2 of the best are the late great Jeff Pocaro of TOTO and Prairie Prince of The Tubes. It would be tough to pick one of them.
Bob.
But what about jazz drummers? Can anyone top Buddy Rich?

John
I agree. There was no one better playing Jazz then Buddy.
Bob.
Lobo, what of Ali and Tyson? I don't know much about the sweet sport, but it seems Ali could move and tyson packed a Mack truck.
If there's a better electric bass player than [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEyEu-hS0fA]Victor Wooten[/url] I have no idea who it could be.

John
Hard to say better with respect to the apples & oranges styles, but I'd put Iron Maiden's Steve Harris up there with very few (Wooten included), and behind none. Good cases to be made for Geddy Lee, John Entwistle of The Who, and Billy Sheehan.
[quote]
On 2009-03-10 21:55, Dr. Delusion wrote:
I agree. There was no one better playing Jazz then Buddy.
Bob.
[/quote]

...and if you didn't believe it, all you had to do was ask him! :P

Good jazz drummers are so different in styles that it is hard to compare. I might also submit Mel Lewis' and Max Roach's names for consideration.

Another candidate for rock drummer - Jim Fox of The James Gang. Most people don't even include him in "greatest drummer" discussions, but go back and listen to some of his stuff. Also, Carl Palmer.

A candidate for "best everything drummer" - Steve Gadd.
How about blues harmonica? My vote goes to Little Walter.

John
[quote]
On 2009-03-12 10:53, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
How about blues harmonica? My vote goes to Little Walter.

John
[/quote]

I don't know anything about blues harmonica, but a good friend of mine who is a blues harmonica-ist has Sonny Boy Williamson as his hero...
For Blues Harmonica Little Walter is one of the best. I also think Kim Wilson of The Fabulous Thunderbirds is great as well.
Bob.
How about people who's last name conjures up an image? Jordan, Ruth, Ali, Woods, ect
P.G. Wodehouse.
[quote]On 2009-03-10 09:20, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Ying gave a rather lengthy list. My vote in mathematics goes to Carl Friedrich Gauss.
(or is it Karl?)[/quote]
It's [i][b]C[/b]arl[/i], though there's a [i]Johann[/i] ahead of the [i]Carl[/i] that's usually omitted, for some reason.
[i]Paul Soloway[/i].
[quote]On 2009-03-12 14:27, stoneunhinged wrote:
P.G. Wodehouse.[/quote]
Hear, hear!
I live in Gauss's house.
[quote]
On 2009-03-12 14:47, stoneunhinged wrote:
I live in Gauss's house.
[/quote]

Cool!!
Does it have 17 sides?

John
I lied. :(
[quote]On 2009-03-12 14:48, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
[quote]On 2009-03-12 14:47, stoneunhinged wrote:
I live in Gauss's house.
[/quote]
Cool!!
Does it have 17 sides?[/quote]
Now [b][i]that's[/b][/i] about as obscure a reference as any I've seen on the Café!
But at least you must be near a monument or two...
There's a very old thread where I posted a picture of a statue. Should I do it again?
Thought I remembered that one. You live near the shrine. If you've got the picture handy, I wouldn't mind seeing it again.

John
I don't have the picture handy. It was just a link, anyway.

Maybe when Spring comes I'll get my picture taken with the statue.

Gauss is...by far...the pride of the university here. Lots of Nobel prize winners, but the University of Chicago has more. :)

Goettingen had Gauss.
David Copperfield

The best at different things to different people...

Still the best.
[quote]
On 2009-03-11 00:32, kcg5 wrote:
Lobo, what of Ali and Tyson? I don't know much about the sweet sport, but it seems Ali could move and tyson packed a Mack truck.
[/quote]

They'd be up there. Really hard to say what Ali would have been in his prime without the 3 1/2 years he lost for his refusal to be inducted into the armed services. But he lost to Frazier the first time, and had his hands full the other two times. Tyson, also, seemed invincible (until Douglas vinced him). Robinson, as a welterweight, and Duran as a lightweight...the battle among the rest of the world -- for second best -- was never as clear. They weren't just better than everyone else; they were a full class above. There was probably a bigger gap between #1 and #2 than between #2 and #10, in their cases.
[quote]
On 2009-03-12 14:46, S2000magician wrote:
[i]Paul Soloway[/i].
[/quote]

Heh heh. I'd probably make it Hamman, or Belladonna, but he'd be right up there on a short, short list. Major props to you, and R.I.P. to Paul.
Stu Ungar. Twice.
[quote]On 2009-03-13 19:07, LobowolfXXX wrote:
[quote]On 2009-03-12 14:46, S2000magician wrote:
[i]Paul Soloway[/i].[/quote]
Heh heh. I'd probably make it Hamman, or Belladonna, but he'd be right up there on a short, short list. Major props to you, and R.I.P. to Paul.[/quote]
I'd add [i]Garozzo[/i] and [i]Meckwell[/i] to the best-players list, but using masterpoints as the yardstick, it has to be [i]Soloway[/i].
[quote]
On 2009-03-13 19:08, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Stu Ungar. Twice.[/quote]
Thrice, no?
[quote]
On 2009-03-13 20:13, S2000magician wrote:
[quote]
On 2009-03-13 19:08, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Stu Ungar. Twice.[/quote]
Thrice, no?
[/quote]

I meant both for poker and gin rummy. But yup...3 main event WSOP wins (and 3 wins at Amarillo Slim's Super Bowl of Poker; I believe nobody else won both events even once each).
[quote]
On 2009-03-13 20:05, S2000magician wrote:
[quote]On 2009-03-13 19:07, LobowolfXXX wrote:
[quote]On 2009-03-12 14:46, S2000magician wrote:
[i]Paul Soloway[/i].[/quote]
Heh heh. I'd probably make it Hamman, or Belladonna, but he'd be right up there on a short, short list. Major props to you, and R.I.P. to Paul.[/quote]
I'd add [i]Garozzo[/i] and [i]Meckwell[/i] to the best-players list, but using masterpoints as the yardstick, it has to be [i]Soloway[/i].
[/quote]

Put Geir Helgemo on the short list, too. Yup, Soloway for masterpoints, but he'll soon be third.