(Close Window)
Topic: Shigeo Takagi One Cup Routine
If you knows Shigeo's Magic, you know he use a Special Cup in his MARVELOUS rendition to a one cup routine! Are a Company that makes that special cup? I need to do by myself?
Thanks,
Hansel!
RNT2 used to turn them from wood. One just sold on this board in the marketplace section.
[url=http://www.martinsmagic.com/?nd=full&key=3581&myaf=af_mm]The Rosewood one[/url] I bought from RNTII is a beauty
I am out of town for about 10 more days, when I get home I may have anotherTakagi cup forsale.
J.P. Jackson may have some soon.
Pete,
If you have more than one or don't find a buyer for the one, I'll be interested!

Mick
I got one from Jeff Busby years ago. Made by a wood turner named John Dahms. I still have the original instructions and even bought his book of excellent magic put out by Kaufman.

I have practiced with it maybe a dozen times and have never performed with it. It is a beauty though.

I got a couple of Mike Roger load balls and small base balls for it when I ordered it.

If you send me an offer I can't resist...I can let it go. It wasn't cheap. I have no pictures of it, sorry for that.

-Scott M
There is one of these on the Cups and Balls museum site -- check the Unusual Cups page.
Thanks for a reference Bill on your site, mine has a more concave area for the ball to rest on the top and has more lighter wood. Each one is unique because of the wood used. When you split it open, you get saturated with the way the wood looks inside.

-Scott M
Uday's Magic World has a set of inexpensive wooden cups with a 4th cup that is suitable for this routine. You always see them on Ebay.
John Dahms' work was such that each cup is unique.
Are their any clips of this one cup routine around?
Yes, I am very intrigued by the uniqueness of the cup. Even a good description would be appreciated.
Miles,

The book "The Amazing Miracles Of Shigeo Takagi" includes the routine and it appears to have several other fascinating works within! I plan to add this book to my library soon!
I own one of these cups -but I am wondering exactly how they are so unique!
I bought one because it was at a magic auction, cheap, and I liked the routine, and I'm also a low budget magic collectables nut... but I don't see it.

What am I missing?
Add the book to your library! Is FULL of Gems!
I look for the cup,
Hansel!
[quote]
On 2009-03-12 02:40, gaddy wrote:
I bought one because it was at a magic auction, cheap...

What am I missing?
[/quote]

Your are lucky because I also bought mine at a magic auction and it was not cheap. Why I paid a lot ? because maybe I'm crazy, or maybe because I love beautiful hand made magic props or because it's rare. I love cups and balls and Shigeo Takagi one cup routine is very interesting by the climax at the end.

Here a picture of my solid cup
[quote]
On 2009-03-12 16:49, Olivier BIENVENU wrote:
[quote]
On 2009-03-12 02:40, gaddy wrote:
I bought one because it was at a magic auction, cheap...

What am I missing?
[/quote]

Your are lucky because I also bought mine at a magic auction and it was not cheap. Why I paid a lot ? because maybe I'm crazy, or maybe because I love beautiful hand made magic props or because it's rare. I love cups and balls and Shigeo Takagi one cup routine is very interesting by the climax at the end.

Here a picture of my solid cup
[/quote]

It is strange and fascinating that a little round block of wood can be so pleasing to the eye and have such history...

I just wish the original Japanese language (with cute little line drawings) instruction pamphlet it came with was in better condition.

I guess that's just the nature of collectibles...
I used to perform this one years ago, and I miss it a lot. It's beautiful pure sleight of hand. I'm going to look around and see if I can find one again. Along with "solid tunnel wand" there are a handful of routines from my misty past that I want to bring back..
Https://www.rnt2.com/takagi-micro-cup-royal-ebony.html

Donnie still has one for sale too.....nice looking cup.
I have one and love it. Great routine.
Thanks for the tip!
I love the original cup and used to work on the routine. Every time the spectator picked up the cup at the end, after the load ball disappeared into it, they would try to unscrew the cup. It just had to be hollow somehow.

A little later they came up with a solid cup that did unscrew to reveal some kind of load ball inside. A nice prop but a disappointment for me. Can't you just end with a great ending already? No, let's make some mud out of it. Seriously; once the cup is "tricked out" the mystery goes away.

I used to put the load ball back into the cup with the Vernon Cone and Ball move. Once the cup is on the table the ball is in FL and I'm asking "What color is the ball now?"
Agreed Plungerman! The tricked out hollow cup defeats the mystery of its supposed solidity.
The reaction I get to the solid cup reveal is so strong that I can't imagine going on to the hollow cup reveal, which changes the audience's wonder from "how did he do all of that with a solid cup?" to "how did he get those balls in and out of the hollowed out space?" the latter being a less awesome question. Because Takagi in the Kaufman book suggests that stand-up performers might stop at the solid-cup reveal, I do it that way even though I sit. And instead of a Takagi-routine cup, I use a solid-kicker cups-and-balls cup. Less expensive, more versatile (since it can be used in cups and balls), and the solid copper (RNT2 Paul Fox mini) weighs a ton--impressive when the spectators handle the cup afterwards.
Probably not what you're looking for but I have a Mikame Wooden cup listed in "tricks and Effects for Sale or Trade" forum. (PM me I can email a pic'
Steven's Magic will have a limited stock of these in May. It's the original designed Shigeo Takagi cup and his original routine, balls etc. The cup is a little bit heavier than the original
because it has been turned from Cuban Mahogany. Mrs Takagi has granted Steven's Magic exclusive rights of the routine to Stevens.