(Close Window)
Topic: "Sneeker Tweeker" Wolfs Magic needs your help!
Hey folks,
I need your help on a upcoming NEW release!
The "SNEEKER TWEEKER"!! This will be our version of the Wiz Kote Machine
(with Steve Hart's blessing)
I have had such a high demand to release my version of this effect that I felt the time has come to burn a kid's shoe the Wacky Wolf Way.
Basically, it will be a larger version of the Cellulator and will hold a child's shoe of course. That is where I am having a problem which I am sure many of you have had to deal with.
Problem: Kid's shoes these days are HUGE! Even small kid's shoes due to the excessive rubber moldings, thick heels etc. The load chamber for the prop can only be so big or the overall size of the prop will be huge. I am trying to design this prop so it will actually have smaller overall dimensions than the original Wiz Kote, mostly in the height. I have had several Wiz Kote's in the shop and have noticed the load chamber is really not that big. My main change, in the load chamber, will be that it is a rounded chamber rather than squared. Basically, cut a cylinder tube in half and that is what it would look like. It will be a bit deeper also.
It seems that no matter what I do, there will be folks who complain about the shoe size limitation. ( selection of kid/shoe etc.)
What recommendations can you give to cover this situation in the instruction sheets?
This is kind of hard to explain but I think most of you would get this if you have performed Wiz Kote. Let's get the conversation started and see what we can learn.
Thanks!
Chance
Spandex? Use two solid half circle pieces with spandex to form the half cylinder.

Don't forget that most shoes are soft, unless it is a dress shoe. Also, putting the shoe in upside down (laces down) should help quite a bit.
Matthew,
Thanks for the suggestion but spandex could not withstand the abuse such as snags from things stuck in the shoe sole, hard sharp accents on shoes as well as the weight of the shoes etc. It just would not hold up.
I am stuck with a fixed load space for the most part as it has to be solid.
I guess I am trying to find a way to explain and solve the show size limitation.
Thanks for the input!
Chance
I've had a Wiz Kote for about 4 years or so. In that time I bet we've used it way over 100 times. Sometimes I will pick out a kid to help, and other times I let one of my assistants. In all of those times not once have we picked a kid to help us with a shoe that was too big to fit in the chamber. As long as you check out the size of the shoe the kids wearing your alright. The kid needs to have a tennis shoe that's fairly close to the burnt one to make it look good. One time we arrived for a show and in setting up realized that somehow the burnt shoe was left at home. I had an old baseball cap in the truck, so I burned it up a bit, and picked out a teenager wearing a cap to help with the trick, and it went over really good.
Bob.
Chance,

I don't think you will be able to get around this limitation and I know exactly what you are talking about!

My hope would be:

a) smaller feet (balls on mine are fairly tall)
b) slimmer base/electronics area
c) keep your glow plug idea to get rid of those matches
d) use something other than an actual house fire alarm. (I don't know if you do that with the Cellulator or not, just speaking of my Wiz Kote)
e) please make the electronics work 100% correctly, I have a newer version of the WK and if I don't remember to push the button again on the front it starts making noise again.
f) My metal box is smaller than the actual opening in the lid, make it as BIG as possible. I also don't see the reason for the mental box to hinge but I also don't have any recovery box either. (maybe that's why, not sure?)

I look forward to seeing and owning your version! Thank you for taking that shoe size issue into account!

Thanks,
David
Bob and David,
Thanks for the input. It is very helpful!
David, good news is that I have already taken care of every request you have made.
Nobody can give a 100% guarantee of any electronics not failing but my system seems to be as close as it gets. I am maintaining my original Glow Plug ignition system and have streamlined the entire base area etc. Like I said, it looks almost identical to the Cellulator but will have a few minor modifications and improvements.
Keep the ideas flowing.
Thanks
Chance
So now the BIG question,,, CHANCE,,, WHEN?
So now the BIG question,,, CHANCE,,, WHEN?

I know, I'm being a pain. LOL
You can have a hand held shoe smeller device It can have a telescopic handle(so it can pack small and travel in side the machine) with an squared C at the bottom The part on the bottom would be the max size for shoe to fit in the machine It would be the best way to judge a kids shoe size If their shoe is bigger than the squared C then you move on to the next kid They would get a kick out of you going in and out of the audience with this Wacky device You could even put a small horn or bell on it to go off when you find the right shoe It is almost like a metal detector or should I say smell detector
Also can you please make a die box
Some kids shoes on the lower side would be canvas converses, keds, and the newer sanuks.

Tod
Aw, I already have the Dirt Eradicator now, and I'm very happy with it. I just can't think of a way to justify getting a Wacky Wolf version, even though I WANT to! Can't wait to see what you come up with, Chance.
It's a bit tricky understanding what you mean about the load chamber, Chance. It's true that kids shoes are deceptively large, my DE seems to have a caverous load chamber, but it only takes a modest size of shoe. My feeling is that the maximum shoe size should be at least the average for a 7-year old. Why not contact a shoe retailer, and ask what sizes are average for 7,8, and 9=year olds, then you will have a better idea of what performers will be demanding in the trenches...
Another gem in the making, I'm sure!
Potty ;)
Chance, you should know by now that those who will complain about your prop not being able to hold every shoe the will ever come across will still complain irregardless of what ever helpful hints you put in your instructions.

It's simply common sense to do a bit of Prue show work and scope out a volunteer that is wearing the proper sized footwear.

If one fails to find an appropriately shod volunteer then you could do one of two things. Pull a Blaine\Angel and make a kind in your audience a stooge and give him an appropriate pair of shoes to wear or, change the object from a shoe to a baseball cap as has already been suggested.

Build your prop as you intended and simply put in the instructions (and possibly the advertising) that it holds a shoe of a certain size. I think if you make the chamber as large as possible to accommodate today's larger sized shoes you'll already be well ahead of the game.

Plus the fact that it's a Wacky Wolf product and will look 1000% better than any other Wizcote on the market will be good enough for most. The whiners will still continue to whine simply because that's what they do
Don't sell it to the Dutch they'll clog the thing up.
[quote]
On 2009-03-20 11:07, magicgeorge wrote:
Don't sell it to the Dutch they'll clog the thing up.
[/quote]

HA!
Kurt,
When? The Sneeker Tweeker is the next new release. I am currently working on the design/proto-type. Once finalized, I will go into production. During that time we will be re-stocking past items. My guess is that it should be ready Late Spring/early Summer.
I cannot post an estimated retail price until the run is complete due to unseen cost factors during production.

Bernie,
That is a wonderful idea! Let's call it the "Sonic Sneeker Sniffer". It would make a nice accessory to purchase separately. I will think about that one.

Potty,
Good advice as usual. As far as buying one...ya know ya can't resist :) But if you pass, I think I would understand!

Payne,
Spot on as usual!! I will take comfort in your prophetical scribing.

George,
Cute joke. Took me a minute to get it...ugh.

Thanks for the input guys! Much appreciated.
Chance
Chance, will your version be operable by a solo performer? Also, will the unit have even more bells, whistles and gags than your other props?
As for the Sonic Sneeker Sniffer, what a great idea, and what a great monicker!That's a real tongue-twister, try saying it three times quickly! The Sneeker Sniffer would be appealing to anyone with a version of the Wiz-Kote, it would be funny if it could explode when it found a particularly stinky shoe (really you just found the right shoe for the job). A bit like Axtell's "Off the Meter", but for smelly shoes.
The stinkiest shoe would be the logical choice for cleaning in the Wiz Kote. And it would afford the whole routine a hilarious premise.
:)
Potty,
The Sneeker Tweeker will be pretty much like the Cellulator in features. I may add a few small changes.
Otherwise, you will need an assistant or a performance area that you can do the "dump & Load" of the shoe.
I wish I had a brilliant idea for the one man load problem but sometimes there is no answer....unless you find one of course :)
Thanks
Chance
Just off the top of my head, what if the Sneaker Sniffer were used to find the shoe initially, utilizing it's incredible odor-identifying powers, it's put away as you "clean" the shoe, then the shoe is found INSIDE the Sneaker Sniffer as a conclusion, with the Sniffer ostensibly left visible during the routine. Just a thought. Can't wait. I've had my Wiz Kote for almost 10 years, used it thousands of times, as well as my Cellulator/Phone-Ally...love both, but can't wait for this one.

Steve
Steve,
You may be onto something. I have a great idea of how to make this work...well...that is if the idea works.
Folks, please DO NOT post any working methods/suggestions for this concept as I do not want to get wrapped up in who created/invented what. I hope you can understand.
Full credit and a discounted price will be given to Bernie & Steve for pitching the basic concept. The hard work is now in making it a working reality.
Thanks guys.
Chance
Chance, it would be easier if you put the switches (for lights, alarm and glow plug) in front of the unit so that only one hand can operate the switches discreetly.

In the Cellulator, I find my other hand behind the unit (when operating the switches) brings suspicion that I am stealing the cellphone. But maybe, it's just me.
Also, please use stainless steel or brass screws inside because the smoke tends to rust the steel parts.

I suggest that you use a 1.5v or 3v glow plug instead of the 9v glow plug which drains the power supply faster and stops the alarm. A separate power supply for it would even be better.

Also, you can get more unique sounds, hrons, alarms and lights from the latest bicycle accessories (made in china) which are all powered with just 2 AA batteries. In this way, the user can choose what alarm sound he prefers.

For the lid, I would make it a pivot/swivel type so that you could show it front and back.

For shoe size, when I don't find the right shoe, I get the kid to borrow the mother's shoe of the step in heel type. I always bring a burnt version of it. Kids even feel more guilty when it's his or her mom's shoe. In other parties, just do the "Bring Me" game to choose which shoe is the smallest and ideal.

Lou
Lou,
Thanks for the input. Let me address your points one at a time.

Switch Positioning: I placed them to the back to create the effect that the Machine is reacting/working on its own rather than the spectators seeing you actually flip the switch. I think the hand to the back is a non issue if your hands come out without the phone it it etc. I might put one active switch to the front. I will have to give it some thought.

Hardware corrosion/rust: The smoke is very corrosive no matter what you put in there but I will run some tests and see what works best.

Glow Plug: The unit was designed to use one 9volt battery in order to power everything with 1 battery. Extra batteries is a hassle for the performer. I am pretty sure the lower volt Glow Plug will drain the lower volt batteries just as fast. I will look into that but I really don't think it will make a huge difference. Important to note that the original Wiz Kote used a different ignition system that was not only more complicated but it also used Rocket Ignitors which cost $1.10 each. That is almost the cost of one 9 volt battery which ignites 15-20 ignitions. It is an awesome improvement and saves a LOT of money as is.

Glow Plug/Siren cut off: I will try to redesign the system so the alarm does not stop while igniting the glow plug.
I avoid this by igniting the smoke first, let it start smoking, run to the machine and adjust some knobs while I secretly activate the siren switch. When the alarm sounds you JUMP back freak out and grab the antenna breaking it off etc etc. Problem solved and it plays better in that sequence.

Siren variations: I prefer the siren I am using now as it is extremely loud and annoying which is good :)

Pivoting/Swivel lid: Good recommendation but not relevant to this effect. Remember, at the point in the routine that you are removing the lid, you are not trying to show and say "look it's normal and empty" rather you are in a panic and ripping it off and tossing it away. Their shoe is on FIRE and you do not want to take away from that momentum.
No need to run when you are not being chased.

It is very hard to design the perfect prop. I think very hard about the user as well as it's ability to withstand use. Some things are simply impossible to make perfect so I try to get as close as possible while keeping the majority of folks happy.
Thanks for the great points as they were all very valid.
Thanks
Chance
Chance
Doing a one man dump and load is how I do the routine. I will PM you.
Ken
For those of you who have recommended routine ideas and tips within this thread. Please email your ideas. I need to be sure to give proper credit if I use them in the instructions.
email:magician@wolfsmagic.com
Thanks
Chance
Oh man...I can't wait to see this one...time to start saving...

Ken
Wouldn't oval be better that round? I'd rather have a bigger prop that would pack flat and fit a large kids shoe. I love the "Microwave" sound, that annoying pesky sound is very recognizable and appropriate for the gag. Improved buttons and some bright LED's going from green to yellow to red set on a timer or once the third button is moved could add to the chaos. Once the third switch is moved by the kid the thing could be set to talk off on its own. That way I don't have to touch it myself.

If you cann figure a way to stop the kid from crying about me burning the sneeker, that would be a great improvement. I now use a high heel and use the teacher as a stooge - there's nothing funnier that burning the teacher's shoe.
Christopher,
You may personally not mind a larger prop but the majority of folks want the prop as compact as possible.
The load is not round. It is basically a long half tube shape. Picture a 10" tube that is about 7" diameter. Cut it in half longways and lay flat. That is the load design. It makes sense in design and load space.
The lights and sirens etc have already been designed for the most part. If you have not yet seen my CELLULATOR,I have attached a pic. It will be larger of course with a few cosmetic changes.
Thanks for the input.
Chance
Michael Fitch used a fantastic sound effect for his 'Matter Transportation Helmets' in the kids competition at Blackpool this year - it was similar to the sound made when they switch on their backpacks in Ghostbusters - it would be a great 'powering up' noise for your new prop.
Chance I sent you an e mail about the design of the Sneeker Sniffer and some routine ideas and tips.I hope it can help.
Another idea: Use a window alarm switch (magnet switch)to turn off the alarm when the box flaps are down and the burnt shoe is revealed. This could be attached to the back and any of the sides.
In the cellulator, I have to lift the back side and reach under to turn it off.
Another alternative is to have another alarm switch inside beside the smoke cup.
I like the idea of a shoe / hat option.
Wow....I just came upon this thread. Time to start saving.....and thinking!

Chance, I'm sure there are several things I'd like to mention, but I'll have to read this thread more carefully when I get more time. Right off the top of my head I can think of one thing that I would like to see changed. (Based on the Cellulator design) I would like have the bottom of lid open so the ditch could be made that way.

Regan
Chance...

We all know its going to be a GREAT prop.. And I do respect you reaching out for input.. but as you will find everyone will have a thought, ideal or a better way of doing it.. and nothing wrong with that.. some great ideals have been mention on this post. But........BUILD IT MAN!!!! WE SHALL BUY!!!!!! As many request as you have had for this prop this thing is going to sell and sell fast. Congrats!!! on taking this time tested prop to the next level.

Don
Don,
You make some good points. The problem is that I cannot do every suggestion but I will weed through them and make my decisions based on practicality and time/cost factors. In the end I am sure it will please most everyone.
My goal is to have these ready by early Summer.
Thanks for the great suggestions folks! It is appreciated.
OK...back to the drawing table to make this thing a reality.
Chance
I would have to say to chance please do listen. It is one thing to sell something or "sell fast" and yes people will buy it because everyone knows Chance's fine work. But getting ideas on making a product better is great idea. I think he should make it right with ideas from guys who are going to be using this day in day out. Chance is making something that has been out for along time and many top professionals use it. I think it is in Chances best interest to make this product TONS better and again getting ideas is where it should start.
I agree with you Ken. That is what Steve Axtell did for his Remote Puppets he asked members on the Café for their thoughts, and he listened and then produced a fantastic product!

When Chance has finished this prop it will be well worth it!
I agree with Ken and Wizzo! How many other manufacturer's do you know that really goes out and akss for input from their customers before production begins? I do not know very many. Chance builds fabtastic products, and his customer service is great too. By doing a pre-production research he is going to eliminate many potential problems and have the closest thing to perfection that he can get.

Take your time, Chance. A lot of magicians have waited a long time for this, and I am sure they will be willing to wait a little longer.

Regan
Chance got my point.. you will not please everyone.. and we all now that Wolf's products do sell fast and that is not a negative. it speaks to the man and his company.. again Chance got my point. you cant please everyone make it practical get great input and the feed back you want from the Café and move on and build it..
Chance, another thing that is important to me is a good way to reproduce the "restored" shoe. I love the idea that was mentioned earlier (The Smelly Shoe Sniffer....or whatever it was called) Another thought is using some type of detergent box that would double as a restoration box.
Dbmagic,
You nailed it! let's see where this goes.

Regan,
Reproducing the shoe is a whole new project/ another prop at an additional expense. I think Chalet had the best answer with the Retrieval Table System. I cannot step on his toes so you may want to get your orders in soon as he is typically backed up.
Honestly, I am not going to try and solve that problem anytime soon. For decades, magicians have been getting by with retrieval methods of their own and I plan to include as many as are sent to me within the instruction sheets.
I love the Shoe Sniffer idea but it may take a while to get to it. There is a lot more that goes into developing a brand new idea than most folks know.

Keep the input coming as I am seriously considering each and every one. Take no offense if I do not use all of them as every idea/enhancement costs money which increases the price of the prop. I don't want to build it out of the market so I have to be careful.
Thanks
Chance
Chance, thanks for taking cost into consideration too!!!

Regan
Yes, I second the cost consideration as important also (in addition to all the technical information, presentational considerations, and design issues). You've got a lot of trade-offs to consider, but we're all confident that by starting from a position of maximum information and input, you can make better choices. Thanks Chance for balancing all these factors.
My show is getting bigger every time a new Wolf product comes out I think I need a hand truck and a bigger car I cant complain I got the best looking show in NYC
What could be the average shoe size?

I am thinking of a compartment that is 7" X 12" X 4" deep. Spandex material. Lid is around 11" X 16" x 2". The wider the lid, the better the concealment.

Another possibility is to have all the 3 hinges (sides and back) removable (pin hinges) except for the front part. In this way, the prop is collapsible and could fit in a briefcase.
Collapsible like Abbott's arrow head ... wow that would be nice !
Hey folks,
Collapible sounds good at first however I am ruling it out right away for the following reasons:
1)Increases set-up time. Not good for a lot of folks out there. Most want to get their show started with minimal set up.
2)The wiring process would be compromised do to front panel wire leads to lights. Even with quick connects, they would suffer abuse and damage.
3)Prop will suffer more damage GURANTEED. Some folks are very careful when packing/set up and a LOT are not. I cannot afford the shop time to take care of their mistakes. Sorry but it is a reality a have to minimize.
4)Increases my repair time which would not be manufacturers errors....not good.

Lou,
I appreciate your input but I have to disagree with most of it.
Spandex is not an option. I covered this earlier. Spandex cannot withstand the abuse. I have a reputation for quality props that are built tough and there is a reason for that.
I cannot make the lid 16" wide. Take a tape measure out and have a look. That is HUGE if you think about it. Please leave the lid/prop dimensions to me as that has already been solved. I am trying to make the prop as portable as possible yet serve it's purpose.
Thanks again and keep it coming.
Chance
Chance,

Outstanding!! No doubt this will be a hit as your creative and construction always set a standard for others to follow. Good luck.

Dan.
Hey folks,
I want to add a few points to my opinion regarding making the prop break down/pin hinges.
This feature makes absolute sense when applied to larger Illusions ( Zig Zag, Blammo Box, etc) as these props need to compact as small as possible for truck loading etc and you typically have a crew to assist in breaking down/setting up.
This prop will come with a case, be fully set up inside the case and could easily sit in the the front seat of your car. It just makes far more sense in the overall picture.
Hope this helps you understand my point.
Thanks
Chance
One solution to achieve compact size, AND fast set-up would be to have box which hinges down flat, then pops up into position and locks in a second....could be done, I suspect it would be about design, not production difficulties.
I strongly agree with Wizzo the Wizard's point (Louis Taylor), about Steve Axtell's amazing internet research. The thread for the RCAC's is now a staggering 47 PAGES long! I have read it from the start, and Steve took on EVERY suggestion on the thread, as far as I can tell! The resulting product is outstanding, and one can't imagine how such research & development could have been achieved without this forum.
I'm delighted to see Chance is also taking this avenue, and would love for him to design a prop that makes EVERYONE happy. One thing's for sure...the kids who see Chance's machine burning up a shoe, will be the ones with the biggest smiles on their faces.....along with Chance, of course!
Potty ;)
Hey Potty,
I will do my best to make everyone happy but for some reason I have never found that possible...close but never 100% :)
The collapsible concept is simply out as it would add FAR too much extra work and cost.
Also for my final point is that the prop itself does not allow compatibility due to two main design points.
1)The load chamber is solid and takes up about 75% of the overall thickness. I cannot make the load space collapsible for reason too many to post. It is just not an option.
2)The base has footings which take up about 20% of the overall thickness.
Therefore you would only get about 10% compaction which is not worth the effort.

I hope you can understand that we will have to rule out this option.
Overall, this thread has been a GREAT HELP to the upcoming design and I welcome any further input.
Thanks again!
Chance
While I understand the lure of "packs flat" effects, many of Chance's other items such as the ABC Recombobulator, Funhouse, Blow Yer Stack, etc. don't collapse. But they are all fantastic and well worth the extra space they take up (as I'm sure this one will be).
What size of case are you planning? How about using that case to reveal the shoe ala Phone Ale?

I was also thinking of a remote controlled alarm. It can go on and off whenever the kid turned on a knob or a "look don't see" principle. A 2 channel remote could also trigger the smoke. In this manner, the unit can be attached under independent of the woodwork except for the lights where the battery could be concealed in the front back panel.

How about a music motor to activate the controls? It could be placed where the pointing arrow lever is. Kids could make a countdown.

We are just brainstorming here, no need for a debate.
Lou,,
All excellent ideas however the cost would be a major factor. Once you add in remote control etc. you have bumped the cost up by $150-200
I welcome the additional ideas but I do have a price point I am trying to stay within.
I am going to use your idea of a main power cut off switch that is easily accesible after the collapsing of the sides. Good thinking. But remember, you will have to remember to torn it BACK ON for the next performance. I will add an "ON" indicator light so folks are sure it is up and running at show time.
Thanks
Chance
I have been following this thread with great anticipation!
This will be one fine product to have once its all completed.
I wasn't going to say anything until I had something intelligent to add.
Although I am sure I have failed... Here it goes anyway.

With the restrictions I have read why not make the prop Flip over so that it looks completely different on the other side.(Or the box transforms into a new design) This would solve the problem of having to reload the retrieval table/box or whatever. You pull out the burnt shoe and the audience assumes that its his shoe burnt to a crisp and the rest is empty. But if you design the prop like a flip over box. This makes it unrecognizable from what they audience had seen and you could act as though your putting the prop in something or off the stage and simply flip it over to bring out the retrieval.

Just a thought of how I might design it with what has been suggested thus far.

Good Luck Chance!

Brad
Brad, your idea leads me to another - a flip-over box with a dumpable load chamber. The box is flipped over and the burnt shoe falls out, the sides hang down. Then, the load is hanging, and a simple catch could release the load. The original shoe would therefore fall as the performer requires. This could be into a servante at the rear of a table, or into a box, or other receptacle. There would be a noise issue, but some suitable sponge padding in the receiving box would sort that....
Sorry, I know you don't want us to discuss technical details here Chance, but apart form anything else, this would be quite a different design to the Cellulator. I wonder if you'll consider such a big re-think? The big significant advantages with this method are that it would be very easy to retrive the load, and it could be easily acccomplished by a solo performer. On the negative, the effect would not work surrounded.
Chance, if you do make a detachable load chamber then you may as well make the load chamber be the retrieval box! Dump it out in a receptacle box, then later go to the receptacle box and remove this "locked" box, and reveal the shoe whenever and however you want. That sure would take the heat off of the restore part of the routine. However, I know this would be very difficul, and the size factor would come into play. Also this would most likely raise the cost substantially.

With that being said, I do have another idea that be be of use. This would not add very much to the cost and the size of the load chamber you have in mind shouldn't have to be altered.

Here is my thoughts: It really wouldn't be a bad idea to have a drawstring bag, or something of that nature inside the load chamber from the start. It would be an easy matter to secretly place the shoe inside the bag as it's being loaded in the Sneeker Tweeker. Finding it in a drawstring bag...inside....uh...something else...at the end would make the production of the restored shoe a little more amazing, and that part could be taken care of from the get-go.

My thinking is that it would be much easier to load in a drawstring bag at the beginning when there is no heat, than at the end when the heat is on. Plus, the bag might just help conceal the shoe (with the help of matching color silks, etc.) if we do choose to load it into something else for the finale. The drawstring bag could even be made kind of like a "rabbit-bag", and the production of the restored shoe could be made magically right out of a bunch of silks!

Just a thought.

Regan
Hey guys,
Good ideas but I am a bit ahead of you regarding the detachable load chamber. I have a retieval concept that will be VERY cool..if it works.
Please do not post anymore methods etc until I post my concept. I would greatly appreciate it.
I do not want to do a complete redesign of the prop itself as I simply do not have the time as it would set this back 3 months and, in my opinion, the idea I am onto should solve a lot of problems.
I want to state that you guys are really thinking and coming up with great ideas. Even if I pass on them, they can easily be used for upcoming projects/new ideas for my company or others who may jump on them after reading this thread.
Thanks!
Chance
Hey folks,
I must stress that the SNEEKER TWEEKER is basically commplete in design. As I have stated, I TRULY appreciate your creative input however this thread is losing focus on my original question. I will use a few ideas previously posted.
I will repost my original question again so new folks can stay on track.

Problem: Kid's shoes these days are HUGE! Even small kid's shoes due to the excessive rubber moldings, thick heels etc. The load chamber for the prop can only be so big or the overall size of the prop will be huge. I am trying to design this prop so it will actually have smaller overall dimensions than the original Wiz Kote, mostly in the height. I have had several Wiz Kote's in the shop and have noticed the load chamber is really not that big. My main change, in the load chamber, will be that it is a rounded chamber rather than squared. Basically, cut a cylinder tube in half and that is what it would look like. It will be a bit deeper also.
It seems that no matter what I do, there will be folks who complain about the shoe size limitation. ( selection of kid/shoe etc.)

What recommendations can you give to cover this situation in the instruction sheets?
Examples: Methods of loading into your existing finale reproduction, Selection methods of child and shoe, Backstage loading methods etc.

This is kind of hard to explain but I think most of you would get this if you have performed Wiz Kote. Let's get the conversation started and see what we can learn.
Thanks!
Chance
Chance,

I think a drawstring-type bag in the load chamber would be great, and I think it is addressing...at least some of the question(s) you had. Like I said above, it would not change your design, and you could load the shoe into the bag as you put it in the Sneeker Tweeker. No one would be expecting anything at that time, and in fact nothing would be happening for a while afterwards, so there would be no heat. It should be simple to have the bag positioned in such a way as to have the top of the bag opened, and the shoe could be placed inside, the stings drawn, and that would be that.

Here's the advantage to having the shoe in a bag, vs just having the shoe in nothing: When the load is dumped out, it may be possible to cover it with silks, or a foulard, or something. One that matched the bag's color might help conceal the load. Even if the shoe-in-the-drawstring-bag is placed in another type of retrieval box, the drawstring bag would add to the mystery.

Of course you might be able to load the shoe in a bag as it is being placed into some kind of retrieval box, but it would take longer and at that time the heat will be stronger. Plus, it always looks more suspicious the longer you hang around the place where the final load ends up coming from. Having the shoe in the bag from the get-go would help in all these matters.

Also, if the bag had a special release, such as a rabbit bag, it would be possible to reveal the restored shoe from matching color silks or foulard(s)....without any other cover! That would seem amazing to the audience! I think the more amazing you can make the vanish/restoration at the end the better. I've always thought that the Wiz Kote and similar props make for wonderful routines, but at the same time I've always felt that the magic in the main prop alone is weak....at least from the audience's perspective. I mean, the magician borrows an item and places it in a box and burns it up. That's what the audience sees, and while it creates lots of comical moments, there really is not much magic there. That's why I think the routine really needs a strong magical ending.

I know my drawstring bag idea still does not address the vanish of the burned shoe, but it might even help in that regard, because it could be possible to have a "matching" drawstring bag, openly place the burned shoe in it, and then make a switch. Now I'm getting ahead of myself...or behind myself....or something! I tend to do that sometimes. :)

Regan
Hi Chance,
My suggestion is to go to a childrens' shoe store with the prop and find the maximum size brands, shoe sizes and popular types of shoes that fit in the load chamber so you can suggest to the purchaser what to look for and what the size limitations of the prop are. I think if you address the issue with some specific common examples in the instructions then you are bound to receive fewer complaints. Can't wait for this one!
Arnie
Regarding the shoe size, it's surely vital not to make the chamber TOO small. I mean, you don't want to have to worry that you won't find a kid with such a small shoe.
There could be a get-out tactic if you DO find you're trying to work with a shoe that's too big. But I think the sniffing gadget with the lovely tongue-twister name sounds brilliant! I will definitely get one of those to use with my DE.
Regan, the Dirt Eradicator manages the "magic" side of things pretty well. The shoe is retrieved from within a nest of boxes. But it certainly isn't a small prop. It's a HUGE thing to carry, with a table and TWO large wooden boxes.....so, the Wolf version sounds much more compact.
Can't wait to see this, even though I don't think I can justify buying one....yet....
;)
I agree with Potty about the size of the chamber not being too small. I think Chance has already settled on athe size, but hope it will be compatible with kids shoes and at least smaller-sized adult shoes. I'm sure I will want to be able to use it with adults sometimes.

Regan
Agree, Regan. I use my Wiz Kote more with an adult shoe (ladies black flat) than with a kid shoe. Though these posts are under the "Little Darlings" section, I trust Chance's design/color scheme will be somewhat like the Cellulator... so that it could be used for adult shows, as well as kid shows. Also, it would be nice for the load area to be a little larger than the Wiz Kote... but not too much larger. I ditch my Wiz Kote lid into my Lefler table. Lots of performers use a Lefler type table... so hope the lid Chance designs will fit on the top shelf of a Lefler table. Just my preference. Sure sounds like another winner from Wolfs Magic!
Doug
Hey folks,
The load chamber is actually LARGER than the original Wiz Kote. It will be about one inch wider/longer and it will be rounded. If the shoe is placed upsidedown within the chamber it will achieve maximum load size.
I will take the advice suggested and bring a proto-type load chamber to the store and test fit various shoes. I am sure I will get some strange looks :)
Thanks guys!
Chance
Chance
having had the wiz Kote for along time I have never had an issue of a shoe not fitting .

Ken
Once again I feel obligated to mention for the record that the original "One and Only Polisher of Sneakers (O.O.P.S!)" machine was invented by Jim Gerrish in 1976, published in Genii magazine in August - 1985, and is still available to "Do-It-Yourselfers" on my site. It costs about $10 to build it yourself from hardboard and duct tape, and you can make it in one week-end unless you want to add a lot of fancy gadgets... in which case you never finish building it but are continually adding on details the rest of your life. Because you make it yourself, it can be as big or as little as you require. One of the Wiz Kids even built a 4 inch cube hand-held model for vanishing cell phones.
Spellbinder
I will be sure to include Jim Gerrish's name in the credits as well as my website.
I do not want to start the OOPS/Wiz Kote debate as they do share the same effect but differ greatly in design and features but I will be sure to credit him as the first on the block with the concept.
Chance
Sorry to get off topic but simply MUST as There is no "debate" necessary.

It's not a debate....It's a FACT that the whole burnt and restored shoe routine was conceived, designed, performed and then PUBLISHED long before this "wizkote" thing came about. Sick of hearing that name mentioned in regards to this effect.

The OOPS machine and wizkote do not "share" the same effect. The COMEDY BURNT AND RESTORED SHOE effect was original and created by Jim Gerrish and then RIPPED OFF. Either purposely or accidentally Plain and simple.
To say they "share" the same effect like "the vanish of a coin" is just not a fair analogy....like some coincidence.

Even the name O.O.P.S. ( One and Only Polisher of Sneakers) was/is part of the creative process and fits in with the original theme of routine and the original scripted patter. ( A wacky home-made invention that is sure to go awry)

What the heck does the name "Wizcote" mean???....can anyone say what the heck that name has to do with the effect?????? Nothing. (In past "debates" I've heard some grasping at straws but nothing that makes real sense)

The only vague connection that the word "wiz"cote has to the burnt shoe routine (that I can see) is the strange coincidence that Jim Gerrish's troupe of young magicians were/are called the "Wiz Kids" and they were performing this effect long before the "wizkote" was conceived. Now THAT'S what I call a coincidence!

It's not a debate.....it's just down right disturbing to see the creator of a FANTASTIC and now CLASSIC magic effect be constantly overlooked and denied the proper credit due.... for WHATEVER the reason.

I guess it's fair game to read Genii magazine or the Linking Ring parade....and grab an idea....slap on a new name and mass produce it....ignoring the originator.

Hats off to Chance Wolf that he is at least going to mention the true originators name in conjunction with this effect. that's way more than previous builders have done.

My criticism and annoyance is not directed at Chance in any way. I realize that Chance, who is a creator himself, is just doing what he does ......building cool, colorful and wacky props. I am sure that many magicians will do well performing this classic effect/routine with Chance Wolf's creativity building the prop.

However, can't sit by and read about this wondeful effect/routine and not make mention of the true originator...Jim Gerrish. Next time you think "COMEDY BURNT SHOE ROUTINE"...think Jim Gerrish and your knowledge of magic history will be correct.

I guess there is no way now to eradicate all of the "popular" names for this clasic routine/effect...

It's just a ***ed shame that this effect has become popular and known to a generation of magicians under a false name and origin.

Stephen
Stephen, your beating a dead horse. Search "Wiz-Kote" on the Café and you will see this discussion over and over again. Nothing that you said is new. One trick was created and sold as a packaged product and the other was not. Most magician recognize the routine for that reason. So your beef is with George at Chalet. I couldn't tell you if he had permission or not.

Brad
[quote]
On 2009-03-31 06:50, Clownboy wrote:
One trick was created and sold as a packaged product and the other was not. Most magician recognize the routine for that reason.
Brad
[/quote]

Thanks Brad, I know why one is a "recognized" name but the real difference is that one was FIRST and ORIGINAL and one is simply not. It's not my effect but I'll give the dead horse a few kicks whenever I see the copycat name mentioned.

I apologize for bringing this up again in this thread and will leave it at that.

I look forward to seeing the new Chance Wolf product....I'm sure it will be really cool.

stephen
Stephen,
I agree with EVERY point you made and I think it deserves to be brought to attention.
I am a strong supporter of "Creators Rights" (unlike some that say they are and then do the complete opposite) as I actually PAY royalties, on time, on a quartely basis for paticular effects I manufacture.
I am in a bit of a bind as I am PAYING ROYALTIES to Steve Hart. Now tell me that is not a tough spot once you take all matters into the equation. My design is a flamboyant version of Wiz Kote which, in my opinion, I would owe royalties either way to Steve and Chalet. But maybe a percentage split of the royalties is due here as the CONCEPT is relevenat as well.
I will talk to Steve and see where this goes.
Forgive my ignorance but is Jim Gerrish still alive and well? If so, do you have a contact email etc? If not, maybe his estate handlers contact info? I would like to clear this up and get the record straight either way.
Thanks for the info!
Chance Wolf
Wolf's Magic
Greetings, Chance! I am alive, although how well I am is a matter of opinion. I usually stay out of these brouhaha's so I can concentrate on making magic. I will PM my e-mail address to you.
Good to hear from you Jim! We will discuss this privately.

Hey folks, I can assume Jim and I will get this taken care of so can we please CLOSE this part of the discussion? I am sure all will be well in the end.
Thanks
Chance
As Jim Gerrish's plans are available for a few measly dollars, it would seem churlish for ANY purchasers of the Wiz-Cote, Dirt Eradicator, or Sneeker Tweaker, not to go ahead and invest those few extra bucks to obtain the original concept, design, and routine.
I bought the O.O.P.S. manuscript online, had it in moments, and was delighted to have all that additional information. Perhaps Chance should recommend that purchasers of the Sneeker Tweeker obtain a copy for interest and additional ideas.
;)
Every time I am exposed to either Chance Wolf's products or business practices I am reminded of what a true Master he is.
[quote]
On 2009-04-20 19:19, Gary Shelton wrote:
Every time I am exposed to either Chance Wolf's products or business practices I am reminded of what a true Master he is.
[/quote]
....I believe it was the Americans who learnt how to work hard, and deliver first class customer service. Apparently from the Brits, but sadly, we don't' have those attributes in abundance any more....
:(
Hey Chance,
How things going? any update?
Louis
Hey Folks,
Just a quick update with some GREAT NEWS!!
I am just putting the finishing touches on the final proto-type of the Sneeker Tweeker!
It has come out even better than I had hoped and may surprise many of you as it is COMPLETELY different than any version of the Shoe Burning effect in both looks, routine and method.
The great news is it is a ONE-MAN act and is all self contained from start to finish. The shoe gets borrowed, burnt to a crisp and restored all in one prop! Geez...that makes me almost as cool as Eric Dasher :)
I can assure you this will be packed with fun!
And it all packs into a briefcase sized light duty Case which is INCLUDED in the final price.
No price has been determined until the run is complete.
We should have the first run complete just days before the Magic LIVE Convention in which we will be debuting the effect there with live demos!
I hope you are as excited as I am with this new release.
Please email us for reservations.
Our waiting/interested list is above 50 people already so I am sure some folks will have to wait for the second run as we are only making 30 units for the first run.
Thanks
Chance
Wolfs Magic
Sound way cool

Louis
You need to put a photo up....

please
No photos until it is complete...which will be as soon as I possibly can :)
Hang in there!
Thanks
Chance
This topic was brought to my attention therefore I am giving you my side of the story.

I did not ripp-off Jim Gerrish. When I created my burnt shoe routine I knew nothing of Gerrish’s published idea in Genii Magazine. It was my idea of a “burnt bill routine” for kids. It is simple…I came up with the idea on my own. I did not steal the idea.

When I built my box….I did borrow the box design from George Kimmery of Chalet Magic’s Doves to Rabbit. When George saw me perform the trick he asked me for the rights to make it…I said “Yes” after all he knew how to make the box. I had already added the flash pot, sound effects and the smoke alarm.

George named it “Wiz Kote” thinking it sounded like a sonic shoe cleaner. Yes I agree the word Wiz was a strange coincidence.

But please explain when Chalet started making Wiz Kote and ran the ad in Magic Magazine…..why did no one tell me or George about Gerrish version?

When “Wiz Kote” became popular someone showed me the Genii article with Gerrish’s idea. It was just this last year I heard he was selling the effect.

Jim Steinmeyer also came up with the same idea for Lance Burton’s show but once he found out Chalet was selling my “Wiz Kote” he asked me for permission to create his own version for the show. Lance performed that trick on his second TV special.

The truth is two magicians came up with a similar trick without either knowing of the other until years later.
I am still waiting for a Kablammo (or something bigger and better) for my rabbit to appear!
This puts the history of the burnt shoe into a better perspective. Thanks for your post Steve. As I mentioned above, Jim Gerrish's plans are for sale for something like $5. You can download them in moments, and there is a whole routine. Surely anyone making such a large investment in a Wiz-Kote, Dirt Eradicator, or Sneeker Tweeker, would be crazy not to invest a further few meagre dollars, to get more ideas, and to better understand the effect.
That way, Jim Gerrish would at least be recognised as first coming up with the idea of burning a shoe.
I don't think it's just a coincidence - it's common for many people to have similar ideas at about the same time.
Potty ;)
Potty,

My thoughts exactly . . .
Hey Chance!

Can't wait to see the Premiere of the "SNEEKER TWEEKER" TOMORROW at MAGIC:LIVE!!!!!

=Frank=
Frank,

Again...I hate you.

Kidding, of course. Steal 2 from Chance and send me one.

Steve
I thought I read at one point Chance was also going to debut the ST on his website on August 16th as well? now I cannot find that in this thread, maybe that changed?
[quote]
On 2009-08-15 21:56, Stevethomas wrote:
Frank,

Again...I hate you.

Kidding, of course. Steal 2 from Chance and send me one.

Steve
[/quote]

*haha* I know you Love Me Steve!

I will report on the "Sneeker Tweeker" as soon as I get back to my hotel room tomorrow night!

=Frank=
Frank - What about Hypnosis? Use Hypnosis to put Chance under and grab THREE!
(I just hate being left out!)

Brad
Make it 4 please!

Regan
I saw the drawings for the prototype, and it looked great. Can't wait to see the pictures...

Ken
I visited with Chance tonight at his booth here at Magic:LIVE and he is actually STILL finishing the Prototype in his HOTEL ROOM! He will start the live demos on it starting Tuesday morning!

I'll report back then!

=Frank=
CRAP! - Frank video phone it would you! :)
And the suspense continues on.......
Yeah, no pressure or anything :)
I feel like I am waiting for Christmas morning but when I go to the tree I got nothing
This is the longest Tuesday of my life
I thought Chance was suppose to update the website as well so that we could order online.

Shouldn't this be released now at Magic Live?
O.K. Gang the time has arrived!!!

Chance Premiered the "Sneeker Tweeker" tonight!

Now, because of the regulations on the Trade show floor & the hotel, he was not able to do the entire routine as he was told that he could not use the smoke effect that is so vital to the whole routine! However I was able to go over EVERY single feature and function of this new prop and without a doubt, Chance has a New WINNER!!!

It is Solid as a rock, has lots of great gizmos & gadgets that everyone has come to expect from the Wacky Wolf Line, *AND* because of some terrific brainstorming here it will have even MORE great ideas added to it before they are oficially produced!

The greatest feature to this is that this is indeed a ONE MAN OPERATION!

NO assistant is needed to help with the dirty work of getting rid of the borrowed shoe! Everything happens right in front of you with no box covering!!!

VERY CLEVER!!!

I took some photos with my iPhone, but I cannot upload them on my laptop here at the hotel. If you would like to see them I can email them to you if you PM me your email address, though.

Any further questions?

=Frank=
I saw it too. Looks GREAT and very deceptive.
Hi Everyone!

I am sending photos of the 1st Sneeker Tweeker Demo to all that asked, (and a lot asked!!!), but I am having to send EACH REQUEST INDIVIDUALLY from my iPhone so you will get it, just have patience with me!

=Frank=
Frank, thanks for keeping us informed!

Regan
No problem, guys!

I hope the phot came through for all of you!

It shows Arthur Atsma doing the Very First Demo of the Sneeker Tweeker with the prototype.
It came through for me! Thanks Frank!
Received as well, thank you !
Thanks Frank, got your picture. I presume that is in the open position? Is it like a Blammo box style?
Bless You Frank!

Brad
[quote]
On 2009-08-20 02:59, Lou Hilario wrote:
Thanks Frank, got your picture. I presume that is in the open position? Is it like a Blammo box style?
[/quote]

Hi Lou!

Actually No.

There is NO box!!!

The shoe is place on a tray like table in PLAIN SIGHT.

The method used for making the switch of the child's borrowed shoe into the Burnt Mutilated shoe, is based on an Old Thayer Illusion and is SUPER DECEPTIVE!!!

It all happens automatically as the smoke billows from! the Tweeker!

The process is then reversed for the Reveal/Restoration!

=Frank=
I want one of these so badly! Did Chance give you any idea of dates and prices?

Thanks again Frank for being so kind as to send us all emails with the fotos ;)

Cliff
Yes Frank, thanks so much for all of your time in sending out the pictures to everyone who wanted one! Can't wait to see it!
Cheers
Louis
I have some questions but I guess I should wait for Chance to unveil The Sneeker Tweeker on his website. Maybe his description will answer some of what my wanreding mind is thinking about! :)
Hey folks,
Things went great at Magic LIVE!
Unfortunately, I managed to destroy almost the entire wiring system of the Sneeker Tweeker just the night before its debut demonstration! It was NOT due to the design of the wiring but simply human error...UUGH!!!
It was a good thing that I packed my complete wiring kit and managed to mickey mouse the unit so I could give a partial demonstration. The smoke was not allowed in the convention center making matters worse.(even the the smoke system I use is NON PYRO)
After going over the entire effect and system with Oscar Munoz, Arthur Atsma and Brian Cook, we found a few upgrades and changes which will make the entire effect and handling even better!
I will need this week just to catch up on Magic LIVE orders. I will then add the new changes to the Sneeker Tweeker and post pics as well as a video demo. You will have to excuse the performance as I am a bit out of practice as a performer however you will get the idea.
Hang in there as the wait is almost over.
Please hold back any questions until I post the updated pics and info.
Thanks so much!
Chance
Ya tease!

Steve
Can't wait to see it!!!

Ken
This is just like Christmas!
I can't wait!
Great news!!
I had a chance to see this at Magic Live. It is a great evolution of the shoe burning effect. You are going to love it!

Cliff Wiggs
PROline Magic
I had a chance to see it at Magic Live as well. Except I didn't attend Magic Live and therefore didn't see it! :bawl:

B
Am I right that this version of the effect does not include the shoe to impossible location? Thanks.

Jim
Hey Chance,

How bout an update on progress.

Thanks
Hey Folks,
If all goes well today, I will have a SECRET web page, with info with pics as well as a Video Demo, loaded up by tomorrow (Saturday).
Here is the deal regarding ordering.
We are in mid production of the Sneeker Tweeker and all is going well!
We have such a huge demand for this item that we will be taking orders on a first pay first served basis. It is the only fair way I can do this.
The folks on the waiting list will be sent a secret web link as explained above.
We rarely take pre-orders on any item however this case requires us to due to the demand.
The web page will have an Pre-Order Purchase email link.
They can email us from that link.
We will reply with a Pre-Order link to make payment which will GUARANTEE them a unit from the first run of 32 units.
This is the only way I could figure avoid overselling the item.
IMPORTANT!!! Please READ THE WEB PAGE DESCRIPTION THOROUGHLY AS THERE ARE SOME LIMITATIONS TO THIS PROP!!!
Overall, it is a GREAT prop and KILLER visual effect. You and your audiences should have some real fun with this!
Thanks so much for the support!
Chance
OK folks,
I just loaded up the long awaited video demo for our latest release...
the SNEEKER TWEEKER!
Please note that I am NOT a performer so lay off on the criticisms :)
Also, I was SICK as a dog while taping, acting & editing this all by myself...so lay off the technical film criticism as well :)
I know the lighting could have been better but I don't have all the cool lights. Just a cheap-o $250 camera and my shop lights...fluorescent...ugh!
I really hope you enjoy this and I will be posting the ordering link tomorrow/Sunday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYDW92U7wVU

Thanks for the support!!
Chance
Congratulations once again Chance! You guys have done it again!

I showed it to my 3 boys this morning and they loved it - the prop - the premise - the smoke and the incredible visual changes left them laughing and amazed.

Post the link - I need one of these!

All the best

Cliff
When can we place our orders? I want one!
Much Different, and more visual!

Dennis
Hey folks,
Thanks for the great response to my video demo! I always get nervous releasing a video demo showing one of my new babies!
Shelley is working on the Pre-Order link as I type.
Please note: We are releasing the Sneeker Tweeker at an INTRODUCTORY PRICE which will increase after the First Run!!
If the first run is a complete sell out then we will give folks the Introductory Price for the second run up to a certain point.
We will be sending out the Pre-Order email this afternoon.
Please remember these will be sold on a FIRST PURCHASE/FIRST SERVED basis so act fast if you have a serious interest.

Once again Shelley and I thank you so much for the support.
Chance & Shelley
Wolfs Magic
Chance, Its just awesome! The ideas are already rolling through my head!
5.40 am Monday morning here.

Ive just got home.

If I go to bed ,this thing will be sold out....ahhh what to do.

Plan A,bring on the coffee and wait for the email link.
OK folks,
Shelley has sent out all the emails to the folks on the waiting list.
If you do not get your email by today, please email us and we will reply.
Sometimes these darn email filters block our replies. Be SURE to include our email address into your web filter "Good Guy" list.
Thanks again for the support!
Chance
Message: Posted by: The Great Smartini (Sep 27, 2009 07:13PM)
Hilarious and brilliant!!
Just thought ,I hope it comes with the burnt shoe.
Wayne,
Yes, the Sneeker Tweeker does come with a Burnt Shoe.
Thanks for the heads up as I forgot to put that in the web ad. I will update the web page today.
Take care
Chance
Wow! Looks awesome! Thanks for posting the demo.

Ken
Your demo was great! It was just right to show us what this does.

If you want to see some huh, funny demo's, go to Abbott's. In one he said something like "How does this thing work?", and most of them are like that.

ACE :dance:
To see is to buy! What a fantastic development of the shoe burning plot! Even though I knew what was coming, the appearance of the burnt shoe took me completely by surprise! I had to rewind and watch it again, and still, the transformation was instant and invisible. It looks like real magic, simply awesome - and the least bulky of all the shoe burners out there, I think.
Darn, I already have the Dirt Eradicator, and only wanted to see this demo out of curiosity. But as soon as I'd watched it, I paid. Surely this baby will give me an awesome routine with at least ten minutes of hilarity, and it will play for all ages.
Chance, you've done it yet again! And may I say, I think this is your most MAGICAL effect to date.
Thanks for making me SO excited this morning!
Potty :)
I left a review on the tricks and effects section. To say the least, I love this prop. It works so smooth, and as potty said, it is very magical.

Best!
Arthur,
Thanks for the great review! Some may think Arthur is biased as he is on my Creative Team however, I know first hand, if Arthur thinks something sucks or that there are some fatal flaws...he will TELL YOU. That is why I am so happy to have him on my team.
I appreciate the great response from the folks above as well as all the others who have commented on the other thread regarding this effect.
I have to admit that after watching the switch on the video demo, I was quite blown away myself! It is nice when things go better than you even expect.

Production is going very well and I plan to post some production pics along the way as well as Video Demos showing ALTERNATE REVEALS of the shoe at the end of the routine.
Thanks for the support guys!
Chance
Does the baby crying sound effect come with it? :bawl:
Chance,
could you talk more about the alternate reproductions of the shoe?

Thanks.

Jim
Arty,

Can you give more details about the smoke set up?

Being overseas ,getting supplies of the required power etc
has always been a hassle.

How simple is this set up?

Thanks
Wayne
Will this work with a smaller shoe than the one specified, or does it have to be the exact one specified in the ad? (If so, I would make my own extra burnt duplicate).

ACE
Hey Folks,
I will be happy to answer your questions.

Q)Can you give more details about the smoke set up?
A)The smoke system is the exact system I created for my Cellulator effect.
Be sure smoke pot is clean.
Pour in a small amount of smoke powder.
Press button and the smoke is created. VERY SIMPLE.
Clean out smoke pot after each show.
Notes: You MUST use a DURACELL Brand 9 Volt Battery for proper operation.
Test the Glow Plug BEFORE EVERY show. Make sure it glows. If not, replacing battery is VERY quick. Always carry spare fresh batteries in the ATA Case.
We will provide a direct order link for the special Smoke Powder, Glow Plugs and Duracell 9 Volt Batteries. Please order as much as you can as OVERSEAS/International Customers seem to have a hard time getting the Glow Plug system to work using local brand batteries. I must stress again that you MUST use DURACELL Batteries for the Smoke Ignition System. NO OTHER BRAND will WORK.
You may use any other brand of 9 Volt Battery for the other functions as long as they are fresh.
You will require a total of (4) Four 9 Volt Batteries to operate the system.

Q)Could you talk more about the alternate reproductions of the shoe?
A)I will need to show these to you rather than talk about them. They are variable handling methods of the polishing cloth that I simply cannot put in words. I will post the demos sometime this month.

Q)Will this work with a smaller shoe than the one specified, or does it have to be the exact one specified in the ad?
A) Yes, Absolutely. You will need a burnt shoe match as well. You cannot borrow too small of a shoe or the security straps will not hold it in place. The provided burnt shoe is so destroyed that it can pass for many brands of shoes.

Q)Does the baby crying sound effect come with it?
A)Well, you may not need me to supply the crying child as that may come with the gig :)

Feel free to ask any questions and I will try my best to answer them ASAP.
Thanks
Chance
In the UK, Maplin's own brand batteries seem to be as efficient, or better than Duracell. I wait for their 50% off deals, then buy loads all at once. I'd put money on it that they will be fine for the Sneeker Tweeker.
Potty,
That sounds great! My customers in Singapore, Canada and few others countries seemed to have difficulties finding 9 V batteries that had a true 9 Volts.

Let's discuss in detail the Power System for the Sneeker Tweeker.
The unit requires (4) Four 9 Volt Batteries to operate.

Battery 1 / Flashing Lights and Siren
This battery will last a very long time. I cannot give you an exact time as I have never been able to drain a battery completely however it is MANY hours.

Battery 2 / Flashing Lights on Rear Panel
Just like battery 1, this battery will last a very long time. I cannot give you an exact time as I have never been able to drain a battery completely however it is MANY hours.

Battery 3 / Buffing Wheel Motor
The Battery that powers the Buffing Wheel Motor will have a shorter life due to the large load on the batteries power.
Typically you can get 3-5 minutes per battery. That battery would have to be discarded as it will be depleted completely. It is important to pre-spin the Buffing Wheel (as shown in demo video) as this removes the start up energy needed to get the wheel up to maximum speed. You do not have to pre-spin the wheel but it is recommended for longer battery life.

Battery 4 / GP-1 Smoke Ignition System (Glow Plug)
My GP-1 Ignition System is as near fail safe as you can get just as long as you CHECK/TEST BEFORE the showtime making sure you have a strong glow.
Typically you can get 15-20 ignitions per battery.
Once the battery does not activate the glow plug, you may then save that battery and use it to replace Battery 1 and Battery 2 as there is plenty of juice left to power those features.

Overall, it should cost you around .75 cents per performance which is not bad considering all the features being powered.

I hope this helps and feel free to ask as many questions as you like.
Thanks
Chance
Chance -
Can the burnt shoe be unstrapped and taken off the unit for gags, etc... then strapped back on prior to the reveal?
Thanks, my friend!
Doug
Wow, Chance, that's some great information. I think it would be great if we could convince manufacturers to give that kind of information about every trick! Of course, every performance of a magic trick costs money, even if it's just the wear and tear on the props.
Doug
[quote]
On 2009-10-04 15:41, dking66 wrote:
Chance -
Can the burnt shoe be unstrapped and taken off the unit for gags, etc... then strapped back on prior to the reveal?
Thanks, my friend!
Doug
[/quote]

Doug,
Absolutely! The burnt shoe CAN be removed. I strongly urge folks to do so to help sell the effect.
I chose not to on the demo video due to time constraints etc.
Hope this helps!
Thanks
Chance
Potty,
I hope to give as much info as possible as I know this is a large investment on your parts.
Thanks so much for the compliments and support!
Chance
[quote]
On 2009-10-04 14:22, Potty the Pirate wrote:
In the UK, Maplin's own brand batteries seem to be as efficient, or better than Duracell. I wait for their 50% off deals, then buy loads all at once. I'd put money on it that they will be fine for the Sneeker Tweeker.
[/quote]

I will also add another brand. I get all of my batteries from Toys R Us. They stock Philips Powerlife. They're excellent, and definitely on par with Duracell. I use them all the time for radio mics and can get about 5 shows of constant use from one battery. They're package up in a '4+4 Free' style and come in at £7.99 per pack (just £1.00 per battery). Absolute bargain.

Mark
Hey folks,
Some great questions came in from a good customer of ours. I felt it best to post them, with answers, to help in your decision making process or to inform those who have already pre-ordered.
Here are the questions:

1: Looks like you spin the buffing wheel...is is powered by the four 9V batteries?

Answer: The Buffing Wheel uses 1 of the 4 batteries. The pre-spin is to helps reduce the power usage on the battery during the initial start up. You do NOT need to pre-spin the Buffing Wheel however, if you do, the battery will last much longer.
Please refer to the previous page,in this thread, for more info on the batteries.

2: The vanish seems to be hands-free and automatic. I hope there were no "camera tricks" here for us potential buyers! It is so clean, I don't see the show rotate or drop out of site when the burnt one shows up. In fact, that is my question...because it almost seem too good to be true! Is it that good, or was this just a lucky film shot?

Answer: After viewing the demo video, I thought there was camera tricks myself! I can ASSURE you there is NO CAMERA TRICKERY. What you see is exactly what you get. Fortunately it is as good as it looks :)
The switch is a mechanical method (NON ELECTRONIC). Very reliable and easy to execute with minimal practice however you WILL NEED TO PRACTICE.

3: The reappearance is not so seemingly automatic. Seems simple and fast though. Is this correct?

Answer: Yes, as I stated in the previous page in this thread, we will be providing alternate reveals as well.

4: The video is done with a music overlay...so my question is whether the illusion is quiet. Can I do it in a living room with kids on the floor at a birthday party...or at a school for a class sitting right in front of me? Or does it have to be performed on a stag?

Answer: The effect is very quiet. There is a slight thud sound during the switch which is easily covered by the siren wailing. Otherwise, VERY quiet. The effect can be performed in almost any setting with the exception of extreme close up.
You DO NOT need music in the background to perform this.

5: In the video, you are dressed in black, the table is black, the background is black, and the lighting is basically low. Is this needed for the trick? I am still stuck on the fact that a partially WHITE shoe vanished with limited cover of that polishing wheel and never flashed!

Answer: The black clothes and backdrop were only chosen to make the smoke more visible. The bad lighting was due to lack of investing in quality lights and digital video camera. This can be done in FULL LIGHTING and you can use a solid WHITE shoe and it will look just as effective...maybe even better.

6: Part of the fun of the original Wiz Coat that I have is that the kid can be standing up there next to me....and his reactions to his shoe being burnt slap up is hysterical nearly every time. Can the kid stand next to me with this version?

Answer: Yes, the child may be onstage. No problem.

I hope this helps and feel free to post any further questions or ideas in handling/routine!
For the record, we are making 34 units for the first run and have pre-sold 20 units so far.
THANKS so much for the great support!
Chance
Chance,

After the burnt show is shown, can it be removed from the machine/strap to "give" to the child and then after a bit of by-play, put back on the machine with the strap and then do the restoration?

Thank you.

Michael
[quote]
On 2009-10-12 11:04, magicinsight wrote:
Chance,

After the burnt show is shown, can it be removed from the machine/strap to "give" to the child and then after a bit of by-play, put back on the machine with the strap and then do the restoration?

Thank you.

Michael
[/quote]

Absolutely! Yes, the Burnt Shoe can be removed. I chose not to remove it in the video demo due to time constraints.
We do provide a Burnt Shoe with the package deal as well.
Hope this helps!
Chance
Chance,

Thank you for the reply. I just sent you an email regarding the order. Will you be offering extra pads for the machine?

Michael
I used "Dirt Eradicator" this last weekend - it reminds me how much kids enjoy the shoe-burning plot. Chance's new product will take the routine to new levels - mainly because the Sneeker Tweeker is small enough to use in parlour shows, and because the "burning" happens in front of your eyes!
I can't wait to have this one in my arsenal, a very strong piece of kid shoe (I mean "show") magic!
;)
Any new photos to show us yet Chance?
Michael,
I never really thought about extra cleaning pads as they really should not get too dirty unless your burnt shoe has a lot of powdery black gunk. I seal the one supplied to they should not shed black ash.
To answer your question, I can make extra Cleaning Pad wheels for those who may need them.
Thanks for your order!!

Potty,
Great points and I am sure you will take this prop and create yet another fantastic routine!! Thanks so much for the great input and support!

Wayne,
I will be posting some production pics later this week. I will post a link here in the Café as well as my website.
Thanks guys!
Chance
It's nearly time ......cool banana's
Come on Chance , don't keep those photos to yourself.

I know yer a busy man, but oh the wait is killin me.
Wayne,
OK..I promise to post production pics of the Sneeker Tweeker by tonight or tomorrow.
Things are going well and we should be very close to the estimated shipping date.
We will probably need a few extra days so the new estimated shipping date is Monday, Nov 2.
Overall not bad since we actually have no idea how long a first run will take. My crystal ball is only a few days off so far...not bad :)
Thanks!
Chance
Here is a link to see some some pics of the Sneeker Tweeker in production.
http://wolfsmagic.com/Sneekwer%20Tweeker%20Prod%20Pics.htm
more pics will come after shipping.
Thanks
Chance
Thanks for posting Chance...how cool is it to see the materials coming together?

Ken
How cool is it?
VERY cool as I have been developing this trick for YEARS now and to see it finally come together is very rewarding.
I am sure you were asking the folks that as well. I had a well known builder once tell me "Do not let people into your shop. It is best to keep your process a secret"
I personally disagree with that philosophy. When I have had a chance to see the inside pics of Owen Magic and other companies, it was like magic in itself to see the guys working, parts in partial assembly and mystery tools and gizmos lying around.
Hopefully my pics of the building process will inspire a young builder to get involved and keep the magic torch burning!
Thanks
Chance
Thanks for posting those production pictures! Looks like you've got quite the assembly line there :)
MAN, I really wish I could've had one of these by Halloween for the 2 huge shows!

Steve
Great stuff, Chance. I'm reminded of Tom Sawyer whitewashing the fence - he convinced his pals that is was so much fun, they all wanted a go. In the end, Tom sat and watched, after he "charged" his mates to whitewash the fence! I seem to recall he got a matchbox with a bug in it, an apple core, and more besides.
How cool would it be to help to assemble some Wolf's Magic props?
Potty ;)
Chance was very generous with his time when I was out his way this past summer. Talk about a thrill! I got to see his warehouse and incredible collection of magic. It was an unbelievebale opportunity to sneak a peek behind the curtain of Wolf magic!

Thanks again Chance..

Ken
So anybody got theirs yet?
I don't think they have shipped yet Wayne

Can't wait to get mine - my Flea arrives next week too!
Hi folks,
Well, as hard as we try we cannot estimate the exact time it takes to complete a product, package and ship when it is a first run item.
The Sneeker Tweeker’s themselves and all accessories are COMPLETE. The final testing, packing and shipping is what is setting us back a couple days.
I also have to make the DVD as well so that is what will suck up the weekend time.
The new and final shipping date will be Monday Nov 9.
We apologize for the continued delay.
We appreciate your understanding and your support,
Chance & Shelley
Sneeker Tweeker Shipping Update!!

GREAT NEWS!
We began shipping today and will continue shipping through tomorrow and Wed. as it is a long process to package label and transport.
You will receive a Fed Ex tracking number on your shipping day.
Thanks so much for the support and please let me know how you guys like the Sneeker Tweeker!!
Chance
Got mine, gang!
Haven't had time to play with it...
But, right out of the box, I can tell you this baby is a real winner!

Only 4 left.
I predict these will be a sell-out as soon as the reviews start rolling in!
Mine's here in the UK already! It just arrived a couple of hours ago, and this is gonna be one of Chance's top products, for sure!
The prop comes in a very sturdy ATA case, and props all beautifully packed for shipping. You have to watch the DVD to understand the whole prop, and what impressed me was the SIMPLICITY of everything. Chance has made the whole thing "tool-less", so you can assemble it, change batteries, glo-plug, etc, all without the need for ANY tools other than your hands!
The controls are conveniently placed, making the routine very easy to perform. And the switch (as seen on the demo) is quick as a flash.
There are a LOT of little subtleties (such as the buffer wheel helping to spread the smoke to cover the change).
Most importantly, the shoe than can be switched is MUCH BIGGER than I'd thought. The Sneeker Tweeker will accommodate the same sized shoe as my Dirt Eradicator, which is a huge (though very attractive) prop. My thoughts are that the shoe size limitation is really not a big problem. Also, my DE needs quite a bit of attention to the "works" during performance, whereas the Sneeker Tweeker is pretty much self-working. Which means the Sneeker Tweeker solves the shoe-burning plot in the MOST effective way you could imagine!
Design-wise, of course, this is Classic Wolf's Magic. But Chance has used black art effectively, and it doesn't look like there could be space to switch the shoe, as the spectators can see right underneath the prop. So many small details are included, such as some rare-earth m*****s to hold the buffer wheel in placebefore the routine starts, and a measuring bracket, to make sure you don't try to fry too large a shoe.
Negatives: the prop talks a little, but Chance gives you one way to reduce that. Good routining should mean talking is NOT an issue. Also, the burnt shoe looks like it should be even more fried, but I'll see what reaction I get first.
Overall, I think this is one of Wolf's finest. The MOST compact shoe-burner, and the most magical, in my opinion. I'll thoroughly enjoy adapting my DE routine.
Fantastic stuff!
Hey Potty,
Thanks for the FANTASTIC review!! I am so glad you can appreciate the prop and its workings as well as the subtleties that make it work.
I am sure you will create a original and entertaining routine once you have had a chance to do your thing.
Regarding the talking. I really battled this and given the principle used for the switch and the speed needed for the switch, I did the best I could.
The talking, which is a slight thud, is not an issue at all during the first switch as the incredibly LOUD Siren is going off at the time. Not to mention the performer should be making all kinds of exasperating sounds while struggling to keep control of the buffing wheel.
I covered the second switch talking issue on the DVD.

Regarding the burnt shoe. We tried our best to make a generic melted shoe to pass for nearly any shoe of that size. They are a FOAM Clog type shoe we used and you can carefully melt it further if you choose but this is AT YOUR OWN RISK!
A not so funny story about the burnt shoes.
I had 34 shoes to melt. I used a ventilated room with a large fan exhaust and a proper air intake which allowed all the smoke etc. to flow quickly and completely out the exhaust as the shoes were burnt 12 inches from the fan. I also used an appropriate respirator mask for fumes and particulates.
Given all the precautions...I ended up in the EMERGENCY ROOM at the Hospital!!
I did not let anyone know as I thought it may be perceived as an excuse for the brief delay in shipping.
The Foam apparently/possibly emits a Cyanide Gas as well as other toxins in a gas form that the mask did not protect me from. The gases can drop to the ground rather than go out the exhaust. Needless to say, I am OK but learned a great lesson.
I have an EXTENSIVE background in using toxic paints, proper protection etc and it still got me so if you choose to burn extra shoes or burn the one provided etc...
PLEASE DO THIS OUTSIDE as you stand UPWIND and BE CAREFUL!!!

I look forward to Doug King's review as well as others!
Thanks for the support!
Chance
It's sat there catching my eye constantly since yesterday, and I'm happy to report that the "Sneeker Tweeker" is a misnomer - quite a big red herring. This isn't just a shoe burner, it's a utility prop! Take the shoe out of the picture, and you have a cool "machine" table-top kinda thing, with effects, and a visual switch. There is NO reason why you should switch out a shoe. You can use ANYTHING that fits! Use m*****s or velcro on the base, instead of the velcro straps, if you need.
I can now rate this as the BEST thing Chance has put out, bar none! A prop that comes with a KILLER routine, AND you can use it to create your own original routine. I am already thinking of pirate-related routines, as well as Christmas.
As many of you know, I LOVE magic props, and this is VERY COOL!
Christmas presentation: use a Christmas stocking instead of a shoe. Fill the stocking with a lump of coal, empty sweet wrappers, broken toys, etc, and strap it into the machine. Switch on and buff with the wheel made from clippings off Santa's beard. The machine goes nuts, and the stocking is now seen to have some beautiful embroidery on it. And closer inspection reveals that all the contents are now brand new and restored - except the lump of coal, which seems to have been missed - until it transforms in your hand, into a present!
Happy Christmas, Potty :)
Thanks Potty. Has anyone else received theirs yet?