(Close Window)
Topic: Found an article on busking.
Here's a link to an article; "Busk or Bust" from a violinist. The article was very interesting, but the comments caught my eye. Basically, who threw up in "Joel's" corn flakes?

http://www.violinist.com/blog/fiddleheads/20077/7224/
Some of the information in that article is BS. Josh Bell was put up to busking by a news organization to see how well he would do. He did abysmally.

I also find it hard to believe that Simon and Garfunkel and some of the other acts he mentioned did any serious busking. Working open mike at coffee houses and/or comedy clubs is not busking.

Could be, though. Stranger things have happened.

I do know that well-taught musicians busking in Europe are not uncommon. I've seen them in Cologne, Vienna, Salzburg and Munich. But all of them know how to attract a crowd and GTFM.
The article states that Bell was there as an experiment set up by the newspaper.

It also states that he didn't make very much money and has a new "appreciation" for what buskers have to go through.

I could see S&G in their "Tom and Jerry" days in a park somewhere doing old folk songs.
Message: Posted by: The Great Zoobini (Mar 30, 2009 01:19PM)
From Wikipedia...
[quote]
Buskers include Joan Baez, Edith Piaf, Roni Benise, The Blue Man Group, Pierce Brosnan, Jimmy Buffett, George Burns, Cirque du Soleil, Eric Clapton, Judy Collins, Bob Dylan, Joe Strummer, Stephane Grappelli, Bob Hope, Jewel, Steve Martin, Joni Mitchell, Jimmy Page, Dolly Parton, Penn & Teller, Gerry Rafferty, Carlos Santana, Simon and Garfunkel, Rod Stewart, Stomp and Robin Williams. Many other buskers have also found fame and fortune.
[/quote]

It used to be much larger and funnier but someone got wise and realized people were just adding their favorite artist...
That's the problem with Wikipedia, people thinking they're funny and messing up good information.