(Close Window)
Topic: Do you smoke?
Just wondering who the smokers are.

I quit in November 2006. I'm a bit fatter now. Man I would like a good cigar right now!

I can buy real Cuban stuff all day long...legally!

I just don't allow myself to smoke anymore. :(
Non smoker here.

Wanna do a little social experiment?

7 out of 10 smokers are women. If you are somewhere and nobody is smoking, then all of a sudden you smell smoke, chances of it being a woman are more than 90%.

Just start paying attention if you want to see for yourself.

:smoke:
Message: Posted by: Josh the Superfluous (Apr 11, 2009 06:13AM)
Resist the cigar Jeff. I've heard of many ex-smokers who tried the occasional cigar. If you were hooked before, it'll get you again.

(14 year non-smoking smoker) Josh.
I wonder where the smokers are. I live in the DC-Northern Virginia area, and NOBODY smokes. Well, practically nobody ... I literally never encounter it.

So does middle America make up for it?
As much as I LOVE NYC, the very worst part is being assualted by the smokers outside in front of buildings that you enter. They stand right directly in front of the entrance. You can't walk down ANY street or enter any building without getting smoke blown in your face!

Totally sux!
Not me.
41 years ago I took my oldest child home from the hospital, I threw my pack of smokes out the window of my car, and I haven't had any of that nasty drug since.
Like the idiot I can be, I smoked for a few years in my 20s. (Guess I had more health and wealth than I needed or something.) Haven't smoked since 1988.

John
Never smoked a cigarette in my life, not one, never. A gift from my mother who disgusted me from a young age with the cloud of smoke that hung in her room most days and stank to high heaven.
I don't smoke, it is disgusting. While I have no problem with someone smoking, don't do it near me.

I was on a cruise with a balcony room and could hardly go on the balcony. We were towards the back of the ship and were being pulled into everyone's cigarette smoke.

At college they put the cigarette receptacles and benches right outside the doors of the buildings.
College? WHOA! All this time I haven't realized you're a genius. I beg your pardon, truly. I had to wait until I was eighteen to go to college. Being in college at fourteen must be WAY COOL and exciting in many ways.

I tip my hat to you. It's also cool that you don't smoke. Do yourself a favor and never start.
Message: Posted by: Josh the Superfluous (Apr 11, 2009 10:45AM)
I started smoking when I was 14 (Matt's age).
For a few years, I drove a cab in NYC and the only way I could get some fresh air waiting in the polluted traffic was to light up a cigarette.

But other than that, no.

Jack
I'm 19!!!!!!
Years ago I was a smoker and quit cold turkey. Then years after that I was drinking at a party and had one cigarette just for fun. On the way home without even thinking I bought a pack and was hooked again. I quit again with the patch which was difficult and I wasn't much fun to be around at the time. It's been five years, now if I'm ever tempted I just remember how difficult and irritating it was to quit and my urge quickly passes.
[quote]
On 2009-04-11 09:28, Al Angello wrote:
41 years ago I took my oldest child home from the hospital, I threw my pack of smokes out the window of my car, and I haven't had any of that nasry drug since.
[/quote]

Well done, Al!
I never have. My ex-wife has a boyfriend who works at a small corner market. He gave my 18 year old son, who has Autism and lives with me, a bunch of flavored cigars. My son was pestering me to let him smoke one, finally I gave in and told him to go ahead, do what you want. So he went out back for about a half hour. He then comes running in the house and heads straight for the bathroom,puking his guts out. After a while he staggers out and tells me he's not feeling well, he's going to lay down in his room. 2 minutes later he's back in the bathroom throwing up some more, then back to bed for the rest of the day. First thing the next morning he heads out back and builds a small fire and throws the rest of his cigars in the fire. He tells me he'll never try smoking again.
Bob.
Wish that happened to me when I smoked my first cigarette as a teen.
[quote]
On 2009-04-11 06:25, Justin Style wrote:
7 out of 10 smokers are women. If you are somewhere and nobody is smoking, then all of a sudden you smell smoke, chances of it being a woman are more than 90%.
[/quote]
It depends on your zip code and your GPS location! From my location, the smokers are all men - at the VA. :smoke:
I smoke.(30 plus years)
I roll my own.
I enjoy smoking!
I really wished I didn't enjoy it!!
I will quit!
Ray.
I started smoking at age 12 and am 57 now.

Two weeks ago I went cold turkey and had some very strong withdrawels.
Like the idiot I am, I lit up on day five, bought a pack on day 7 and .....
Anyway. Big mistake.
No more buying. I still enjoy an occasional smoke and am quitting not so much for health reasons as for money reasons.
I quit a two pack a day habit 12 years ago next month (hang in there quiters). I was in the bay area (San Francisco) and smokers are rare. I can only think of one smoker that I know to be honest with you, wait, two if you include my brother in Iowa. In Nevada where I live now there are far too many smokers. Until last year in restaurants if they had a 'non smoking' table it literally meant there was no ashtray, all the tables around could smoke just you couldn't at that table. They made the restaurants non smoking and now they are changing the law because it is to strict. Heck, in California I'm not sure where it is legal to smoke anymore.

(side note: my old HR person was so anti smoking she wrote me up twice for smoking in the building. Unfortunately for her once she pushed it to the big managers I informed her I had not smoked for years and the smoker was actually her pal)
Here in Eugene you can't smoke in any public place, even in a bar or a nightclub. The Bars were given the option of building an outside room in which patrons can smoke in. Also you can not smoke within 500 feet of a public building. A pack of cigarettes are about $7.00 a pack and there's a good chance that a new tax will be put on the soon to raise them even higher. sure glad I don't smoke.
Bob.
Never smoked as a child (that's how they get you for LIFE), so when I actually started smoking in college (health somehow isn't as big a concern as being able to stay awake till 4 in the morning on a regular basis with coffee and cigarettes) I found it pretty easy to quit.
Actually, I fooled around with cigarettes when I was 10 or so, but I never liked it and when we moved to California in '65? '66? I was in a position where I couldn't get them myself and wasn't the sort of person who would have friends who COULD get them so I just never formed the habit.

(Which is surprising, because I believe I have a very addictive personality... which is why I don't drink or gamble!)
I quit several years ago. Lost a big chunk of my magic act because of that, had to reinvent myself in that regard, but gained so much more in health. Now I'm older and fatter and climbing the 35 steps to my front door still sucks.

I am sadly amused by smokers who tell me that one day they will quit. I just say, "Yup." I watched my father-in-law quit in the very room I'm sitting in right now. He died here, but lo and behold, he did quit smoking.
I never started. I had a praying grandma who loved me very much, and all I can say, if you have one of them praying grandmas,You might as well give up, you don't stand a chance. Anyway, she had all us kids promise we would never smoke, and I did, and I have HONORED that promise for all these years.

Plus, when I was real small, my dad made me take a puff on one, and I gagged and choked...you know. About killed me. So between my dad and his mom, smoking was never my fate.

And I have never been sorry I didn't start. Zero regrets.
I quit two years ago (with the Lord's help)
[quote]
On 2009-04-11 23:16, daffydoug wrote:
I never started. I had a praying grandma who loved me very much, and all I can say, if you have one of them praying grandmas,You might as well give up, you don't stand a chance. Anyway, she had all us kids promise we would never smoke, and I did, and I have HONORED that promise for all these years.

Plus, when I was real small, my dad made me take a puff on one, and I gagged and choked...you know. About killed me. So between my dad and his mom, smoking was never my fate.

[/quote]

... and there are fools out there who doubt the power of prayer! HA!
Well, all I can say is that them little gray haired old women seem to have a hot-line to heaven...
[quote]
On 2009-04-11 23:16, daffydoug wrote:

[/quote]

I can't imagine anyone on their deathbed thinking; "Gee, I regret never having started smoking."

[quote]
On 2009-04-11 23:44, Cory Chapin wrote:
[/quote]

And I'm glad Cory because it looks like it did something to your eye! :wow:
I have never even tried a cigarette.. everyone in my family smokes but me. I Hate it so much. :(
Smoke around 7-8 pd,
cant see what all the fuss is about
ok it stinks, its disgusting, unhealthy and antisocial
ill just nip down the pub, grab several calorific beers,
spill most of it down my shirt, fall about the street, spewing up my kebab,
pish in the doorway and shout slurred abuse at passers by while I fall into a taxi.
hmmm antisocial I hear,
I smoke at home not around others or in doorways.
and I am sure there are many like me who like a quiet smoke in peace,
without any trouble from the "lets-kill-all-the-filthy-smoker-scum-brigade"
not a personal attack on any in here just get fed up of all the do-gooders.
In another year or two I will be smoke free for 1 full year!
Another year or two for 1 year?
Lol I meant in a another weeks or two I'll be free for 1 year.

lol
Non-smoker for the third and final time. Anyone see that doctor Phil episode? I hope not.
Acapnotic.
Cancer cures smoking.
...and it's a heck of a diet aide, but I don't recommend it!

To those of you who have quit and continue to be smoke-free, my hat's off to you!
[quote]
On 2009-04-13 00:12, noble1 wrote:
Cancer cures smoking.
[/quote]
Smoking cures meat.
Ray.
If you want to smoke it is peoples rights to smoke.If I don't like it that means I don't have to be around it.I never did like cigarettes.They kill you,they make you stink,and if you kiss a chick who smokes it tastes like you just lit up one yourself. I can handle cigars they smell nice and are more classy then cigarettes.Although none of it is good for you. I am just glad to see people not using chewing tobacco or skoal. That is the single nastiest habit that I know of.Living in the South it seems you cant go anywhere without seeing it.Unfortunately all the men in my family it seems uses smokeless tobacco products.I saw this one magician I was sitting next to, dip at Unconventional during a lecture.That should definitely be a rule to magicians to refrain from that nasty habit.It is not very professional.
I think the hardest part about quiting smoking is having to deal with the smug look on the faces of the anti smokers. They seem to believe when someone quits it is a victory for them when actually they are the problem and likely cause people to continue smoking. There is nothing worse than a reformed anything.
Ya' know, smoke or no smoke, we all just have to stay focused on the positive:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JndtG8Y7yfw&NR=1
[quote]
On 2009-04-14 19:11, MagicSanta wrote:
I think the hardest part about quiting smoking is having to deal with the smug look on the faces of the anti smokers. They seem to believe when someone quits it is a victory for them when actually they are the problem and likely cause people to continue smoking. There is nothing worse than a reformed anything.
[/quote]
Oh my gosh...That is so incredibly right! My worst fear when I would try to quit smoking is that a reformed smoker would find out...Then regale me with stories of how they just decided to quit and they were done. No problems, just sheer willpower...24 hours later and they were a nonsmoker!
Yeah...Thats freakin inspirational. Here I am with headaches, irritable as heck and starting to twitch and they want to rub in my face how easy it is?
Not really helping there.
As it is currently, it has been 5 days since I had any sort of tobacco. I am using an e-cigarette, so I still get a dose of nicotine but without actual smoke or tar. No withdrawal of any sort, no irritability, no problems. Technically I am still a total nicotine addict, but at least there are no carcinogens.
For now, that is enough.
Gwyd
Been smoking pipes and cigars for 20+ years and never had the desire to have a cigarette mainly because of the difference in cigarette smoking. You don't see see cigars among those huddled around outside for their smoking break . People who smoke pipes and cigars generally do not try to get in a quickie because they are smoked slowly and relaxingly, often with a drink. The smoke is not inhaled.
Life insurance actuarial tables show that moderate pipe and cigar smokers as having longer life expectancy than some non-smokers.
Consider this:
George Burns-5 cigars a day-lived to age 100(died of old age)
Groucho Marks lived to age 97-smoked cigars(died of old age)
Marlboro Man-smoked the stuff he advertised and dies of cancer at age 59
do the math baaaabyyyyy
Gwyd, I've never smoked, but know plenty that do still smoke and several that have stopped. My oldest brother and Dad both quit smoking. My dad made it seem easy, just sucked on a lot of hard candy and put on a few pounds. It was a real fight for my brother, but he pulled it off. That's great to hear you've made it 5 days so far. Best of luck to you. I really hope your on your way to a smoke free life.
Take care, Bob.
I go through two lighters a day.. is that a lot?
I smoked cigars and pipes for a few years in my 30s. At that time, I also worked at Tinder Box, so was able to get the good tobaccos and pipes and become an expert on the subject. My favorite cigar was the Hoyo De Monterey panatella. My favorite pipe blend was half Celtic Vanilla and half Burley Light. My favorite pipes were an alligator-finish Savinelli, and a signed Eric Nording Freehand (both 3/4 bend).

I quit for health reasons, giving most of my pipes to a friend who also smoked. I kept two pipes (gifts) as keepsakes, one being an Ascorti First. The other was a skull-shaped briar.
I smoke, and everyone around me either smokes, dips and drinks. The we raise hell.....

Army life....../sigh
I started to quit smoking and went about a week…. Then I had to go through and be part of an 84 people layoff with the company I work for.

I will try again.
8 yrs. smoke free for me...

Cardamagically,
Dom.
:) ;)
No. But I drink.
August will be 14 yrs smoke free. Still want one once in a while but won't do it.
Next week is my 11th or 12th anniversary of not smoking.
[quote]
On 2009-05-07 13:41, critter wrote:
No. But I drink.
[/quote]

HA! Me too, Critter, me too.
10 years ago I quit a 3 pack a day love affair with smoking. I saw a show on how the tobacco industry contributed money to the film industry to have smoking in films. Subconsciously I was emulating James Bond and Dean Martin. I hate being covertly manipulated, so I quit.

I LOVE second hand smoke from a pretty girl. lol. Is it harmful? Maybe/maybe not. Smokers can live to 90 or die at 49. Same for non smokers.
I am a non-smoker and I don't drink.

[quote]
On 2009-04-11 23:44, Cory Chapin wrote:
[/quote]

The Lord cares if you smoke? that's a new one...
I don't smoke but I do inhale.

I'm a second hand smoker, not by choice, by being a New Yorker. You can't walk down any street without some smoker blowing clouds on you...
[quote]
On 2009-05-08 14:25, Justin Style wrote:
I don't smoke but I do inhale.

I'm a second hand smoker, not by choice, by being a New Yorker. You can't walk down any street without some smoker blowing clouds on you...
[/quote]

If they do that, can you throw a cream soda in their face and call it even?

Now I want to go to Katz's deli for a pastrami on rye. Sigh.....
My poor dad is in NYC right now and he hates it. I'm sure smokers will be on the list of things he'll complain about when he gets back and his girlfriend, who is one of those idiots who believes everything is better in NYC, isn't in ear shot.
Actually, smoking has been on the decline in NYC for quite a while. There is no smoking allowed in most restaurants, bars or public buildings. And it's become so expensive!

Curiously, my informal observation is that the only people I see smoking more are women in their twenties. No one else seems to.
I have no clue brutha. I know in California (at least where I lived) it pretty much vanished. When I moved to Nevada lawdy lawd did they smoke. A none smoking section of a restaurant (the law changed a bit over a year ago thank goodness) literally meant that there was no ashtray on the table, every table around could be smoking but, dang it, your table wasn't.

Jack, I'm holding YOU personally responsible for my geezerly fathers well being while he is in NYC for his four times a year visit.
Tell him to stop hanging around those women in their twenties :)
I've vanished and appeared a few cigarettes, but never smoked any.
Jack, you were close, she was dang near born in the 20's..... my father is her retirement program.