(Close Window)
Topic: Susan Boyle - Britains Got Talent 2009
Listen and enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lp0IWv8QZY
That was pretty good. She may well be on her way to stardom.

[url]http://news.scotsman.com/entertainment/Talented-Susan-looks-to-have.5163658.jp[/url]
I watched this on telly last night,the lady can't half belt it out!!
Lo and behold,she's in the paper today after a makover.When the press move as fast as that you know the P.R. Mechanism is already ticking over.
I predict a Paul Potts moment coming on!
Ray.
I dunno. I think they're trying to re-do a Paul Potts moment. But: 1., how can you re-do something like that? and 2., she isn't Paul Potts. Not even in the same ball park.
Don't know who Paul Potts is, but I enjoyed the performance, though it seemed to be a bit set-up. In fact, even though I am deathly allergic to all things Andrew Lloyd Webber, I still liked her singing.
You guys think maybe they're setting her up, then? As in, all is not as it seems?
I think she is legit (and has a beautiful voice), but my guess is that they are looking for a specific type to do the ugly-duckling-turned-opera-star bit again, since the audiences seem to love it the last time around.
Pop singers do not make it if they need a bag over their head. It's the way of the world sadly. She does look like she could be a singing Nun but most likely she's in for Voice Over dubbing in animation.
Even at that, (doing animation) she will probably be making better money and living what she might consider an exciting life, compared to what is her current lot in life.

She reminds me of Julia Child, the French Chef!..but she seems like such a sweet lady inside. It's really sad that the society we live in judges so much on the outward, rather than what's in the heart.

But I think Startibartfast may be onto something with his assessment of the situation.."The ugly duckling turned star". Knowing the way these guys work, that's a pretty plausible scenario.

Still, on the other side of the coin, the looks on the judges faces, the dropped jaws, etc, and the tears streaming don their face seemed hard to fake...

And one more point I want to make. She has a wonderful voice, no doubt, but did you notice, she also had the stage poise to go with it. Her manifest confidence went a long way. She obviously BELIEVED in herself, and in her dream. Those elements are invaluable when it comes to talent competition.

The poor girl, the only thing she really lacked was the natural "prettiness." Let's see what miracle they can work with a makeover!

Now I'll shut up..for now.
Nice idea about doing voice overs Doug. Maybe that's how they'll allow this to play out.
No doubt. These guys are "pulling the strings"
Aside from the nice voice.... I liked her spunk,and sense of humor.She also seemed honest and down to earth.

Of course she could use a little advice in the beauty dept.[Like getting an eyebrow job-yikes!].However,I personally would prefer someone like her over a bimbo with a ton of make up and no personality.
She's no Paul Potts, but she did impress. She has a great voice for the piece she chose. Thanks for the link.

John
[quote]
On 2009-04-13 21:26, RicHeka wrote:
Aside from the nice voice.... I liked her spunk,and sense of humor.She also seemed honest and down to earth.

Of course she could use a little advice in the beauty dept.[Like getting an eyebrow job-yikes!].However,I personally would prefer someone like her over a bimbo with a ton of make up and no personality.
[/quote]

Absolutely. take the sweet, homely girl with a GOOD HEART over the bimbo any day hands down.

(But yeah, the eye brow job is not a bad idea!) but on the other hand, brows didn't stop Brook Shields.
Ah...but with Brooke, the eye brows were a clue to something else...:)
On the other hand, the audience was way over the top ... they were applauding every key change in the song as though she had written it herself. Glurge.
I wondered if this would show up here. A great performance, I liked when simon's eyes really showed surprise at the beginning.

Check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gak14Rz5ZfE
goosebumps.
[quote]
On 2009-04-14 09:45, Doug Higley wrote:
Ah...but with Brooke, the eye brows were a clue to something else...:)
[/quote]

I'm not gonna touch that one, Doug!
[quote]
On 2009-04-13 12:15, landmark wrote:
Don't know who Paul Potts is, but I enjoyed the performance, though it seemed to be a bit set-up. In fact, even though I am deathly allergic to all things Andrew Lloyd Webber, I still liked her singing.
[/quote]

Andrew Lloyd Webber? Huh?!? The song she sang was from Les Misérables. Last time I checked, Webber had nothing whatsoever to do with Les Misérables.
Ah that explains it then.
I was puzzling over that one, too!
I was absolutely gob-smacked by her performance.

The sheer guts she showed to come out, push all her chips into the middle of the table and go for broke, knocked me out. She was terrified and scared shi*less--but she came out and gave it everything she had.

What a perfect song for her to sing. IMHO, the song literally oozed her pain and hurt that she has been carrying since a little girl. The bullying, the "never been on a date", the "never been kissed". She has watched life pass her by and she transferred all or her repressed hurt, sadness and [I]honest[/I] emotion into that song. She could not have picked a better song to sing. That song was tailor made for her. She literally owned that song.

And, despite all of that, she kept her sense of humor and even THAT showed through. And what a beguiling cheeky smile. No phoniness here.

What a beautiful innocent spirit. Frankly, I found her charming and one of the most beautiful people I have ever seen.

By the time she finished her song, I was emotionally drained and weak as a wet dishrag. That said, I came away with a sense of spiritual renewal and a deep respect for the wonder of mankind in general and for the unquenchable human spirit she possesses in particular.

Way to go, Susan. You ROCK!!

Mike

P.S. Oh! And the voice? I thought it was perfect and the song was delivered with perfect phrasing, vocal inflection and pitch. That song is not an easy song to sing. Lots of chord changes and minute changes in tempo.

Look at the judges’ faces!! [i]Before the very first line of the song was sung[/i], the judges instantly knew that they were witnessing something truly special, beautiful and extraordinary.

Later, I took the time to read the many comments by the famous stars that have sung that song and the comments of many professed professional singers and musicians. Comments like: "Perfect pitch", "Beautiful phrasing and delivery", "Full of emotion", etc.

P.P.S. Just, IMHO; your mileage may vary.
Message: Posted by: Gilgamesh_The_Librarian (Apr 18, 2009 02:46AM)
The papers in the UK have found a charity recording she did 10 years ago....shows real versatility and if she doesn't sing this on the next show I'll be surprised.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI2DxkrgpgQ
I think everything about this was completely genuine, hence the reaction of both the judges [b]and[/b] the audience. I first heard this on the radio, so I didn’t have the opportunity to prejudge her. I don’t know why we are so surprised. Many great opera singers are overweight.
I was just reading another Café thead and came across a post by Juhn Scot. In his profile John had a quote by Jamy Ian Swiss:

‘Audiences seek out performers - be they musicians or magicians or any type of performing artist - to discover interesting characters who reveal themselves, sincerely and believably, to their audiences.’ - Jamy Ian Swiss

How serendipitous it was to find that quote. Helps to explain Susan Boyle's amazing success. People are thirsting for authenticity and honesty.
[quote]
On 2009-04-13 12:15, landmark wrote:
Don't know who Paul Potts is..
[/quote]
I didn't know who he is as well. Found him on the all mighty Youtube -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k08yxu57NA

Both Susan and Paul are very talented singers. I wish them both success!
[quote]
On 2009-04-18 02:11, Turk wrote:
I was absolutely gob-smacked by her performance.

The sheer guts she showed to come out, push all her chips into the middle of the table and go for broke, knocked me out. She was terrified and scared shi*less--but she came out and gave it everything she had.

What a perfect song for her to sing. IMHO, the song literally oozed her pain and hurt that she has been carrying since a little girl. The bullying, the "never been on a date", the "never been kissed". She has watched life pass her by and she transferred all or her repressed hurt, sadness and [i]honest[/i] emotion into that song. She could not have picked a better song to sing. That song was tailor made for her. She literally owned that song.

[/quote]

Man, that is exactly what I was sensing, but couldn't really pinpoint or verbalize. Thank-you for saying that! The song was a PERFECT choice for her. Here is a sweet woman, homely on the outside, beautiful on the inside, who has been the ugly duckling all her life. Ignored, or if not ignored, picked on and verbally abused. ( I know for a fact how cruel kids can be..they did the same thing to me when was a kid)

Anyway, she grew up that way. Never had a chance, never had anyone to really believe in her or give her a half a** chance, then suddenly, she gets this fabulous opportunity to sing on BGT, and brother, doncha' know she was going to let it all loose!! One of the judges said "You're a little tigress aren't you?"

She disagreed, but the fact is the tigress had been caged up all her life, and this was the night she was to be set free from that cage! Brother, all the floodgates of hell could not have stopped her from rocking the house!

Can you imagine all that bottled up inside you for forty seven years???

Eventually some guy will get her..wait and see. "Never been kissed" will surely be history. And again, it's staggering to think of all the pent up passion he is going to run into on that special night...

Beauty is ONLY skin deep!!!
I really enjoyed watching Paul Potts win Britain's Got Talent and I'm happy for his success. IMO, however, I think Susan Boyle is the better singer. When she starts to sing, there's something about her demeanor that changes. It's very inspiring.
Here's Paul today with his wife being interviewed while in New Zealand -

http://tvnz.co.nz/entertainment-news/singing-sensation-paul-potts-back-in-nz-2639481/video
At the moment I read this, her video on youtube has gone beyond 29 Million views!

Incredible...

:online:
Indeed she has become an international phenomenon LITERALLY overnight! Her star rose with an incredible swiftness that I have not seen in an entire lifetime!

As I mentioned to another poster, this beautiful woman brings moisture to my dry eyes. She actually makes me weep! But I'm apparently not the only one, because she is a phenomenon ..a National phenomenon now, and I think it is precisely because she is a mystery that everyone would love to to unravel!

I think that is true because I have been Googleing her name and it seems the majority of folks have have their personal analysis/conclusions as to why/how she does what she does! We all want to know the secret of Susan Boyle! We all want to distill that intangible element that she possesses down into a few short, neat words.

Indeed, this humble woman has caused millions of people to wax philosophical!

(As well as emotional!)
Goes to show that the talent of a singer should be that which comes out of their mouth !!

Not the fact that they expose their flesh, are covered in make up or sleep with Cowel (What talent has that pratt got anyway,,,a big mouth but no bottle and a bunch of fans who keep him rich !!.

So yep she has landed a recording contract, and I hope she makes a bundel. Then gets out of the scene to enjoy her gains in an early retirement.

Quality comes in many forms but from a singer it should be the sound.

Ken.
Whatever contract she receives from the show wont be a great one.
The premise that the entertainment industry and pop in particular is only interested in the physically beautiful is easily disproved. While I can think of many examples one name will suffice - Celine Dion.

Destiny
Simon was impressed. It was fun watching the bemused smirk get wiped off his face and replaced with admiration within two bars. I think he'll make sure she at least gets something out of this deal.

Truly great singers not only sing powerfully, but convey the emotions of the song as well. Susan does that fantastically. She is a great singer.
[quote]
On 2009-04-13 04:37, stoneunhinged wrote:
....and 2., she isn't Paul Potts. Not even in the same ball park.
[/quote]
Oh, yes, she is. Most definitely - in fact, I think she is a little better in her genre than Potts is in his (I sing opera, and like it better than show tunes).

I heard a song she sang on a charity cd released in 1999, I think. Only 1,000 were made, and she only sang one song on it. It is on Youtube. She was great.

Make no mistake, though - I am *not* saying Potts is bad.

[quote]
On 2009-04-13 20:26, landmark wrote:
Nice idea about doing voice overs Doug. Maybe that's how they'll allow this to play out.
[/quote]
I don't think so. Part of the whole 'electricity' around this performance and situation is the how everyone thought she would do based on her looks. I hope very much that she is not limited to voice-only work.
It was a magica moment when she started singing...you can see from the audiences expressions on their face....
[quote]
On 2009-04-19 15:02, plasticdestiny wrote:
The premise that the entertainment industry and pop in particular is only interested in the physically beautiful is easily disproved. While I can think of many examples one name will suffice - Celine Dion.

Destiny
[/quote]
Or Ethel Merman, perhaps? :rolleyes:

Posted: Apr 19, 2009 11:01pm
--------------------------------
I'm gobsmacked again!! Someone here just sent me this link to her singing "Cry me A river"

Here voice is even more incredible that I thought!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI2DxkrgpgQ

Seriously folks, she has some amazing pipes! Sultry and sweet at the same time! She could have had a recording contract years ago!
[quote]
On 2009-04-18 10:18, Turk wrote:
I was just reading another Café thead and came across a post by Juhn Scot. In his profile John had a quote by Jamy Ian Swiss:

‘Audiences seek out performers - be they musicians or magicians or any type of performing artist - to discover interesting characters who reveal themselves, sincerely and believably, to their audiences.’ - Jamy Ian Swiss

How serendipitous it was to find that quote. Helps to explain Susan Boyle's amazing success. People are thirsting for authenticity and honesty.
[/quote]

I borrowed this from an article on Jamy's website.

http://www.jamyianswiss.com/fm/works/ll-scripts.html
Reaching 33 Million views on youtube at this moment! :wavey:

And climbing!
I have no doubt she will make a million from her singing...and another million when she signs a contract with Jenny Craig or Extreme Makeover!
Absolutely everything on television is producer driven. This isn't to take anything away from the amazing Susan Boyle, but I guarantee the entire storyline was written out. From her opening remarks, the "weary" judges to the "surprise," the producers (Simon being one of them) had, like with Paul Potts, brilliantly manipulated the strings. There are absolutely no surprises. This story is as handcrafted as the "tension" between Paula and Simon.
[quote]
On 2009-04-19 18:46, Chessmann wrote:
Oh, yes, she is. Most definitely - in fact, I think she is a little better in her genre than Potts is in his (I sing opera, and like it better than show tunes).
[/quote]

I very much agree. Potts aint bad, but there's a lot of tenors who are better (at times his voice sounds strained) singers and have a more unique voice. She's got a nice overall "sparkle" about her and nice, lively pure voice.
[quote]
On 2009-04-20 12:24, mvmagic wrote:
[quote]
On 2009-04-19 18:46, Chessmann wrote:
[/quote]

I very much agree. Potts aint bad, but there's a lot of tenors who are better (at times his voice sounds strained) singers and have a more unique voice. She's got a nice overall "sparkle" about her and nice, lively pure voice.
[/quote]

I agree with both of you, but popularity is a funny thing. Andrea Bocelli is a good but my no means a great tenor, but the public loves to buy his records and attend his concerts. Perhaps both Potts and Boyle can enjoy Bocelli-like careers.

John
Yeah, Bocelli is good, but he is....should I say a contemporary tenor. A pop tenor essentially, one that has "intruduced" that genre to the general public-sort of "classical singing for dummies" if I exaggerate. But we do have someone like Sarah Brightman, whom the public loves and she indeed has a stunning voice and quite a vocal range.

I believe Potts' main appeal is his "cell phone salesguy to opera singer" thing. He lacks originality in his performance, for instance his "Music of the Night" was really rather poor-at least one performance I saw, he mimicked certain vocal mannerisms of the (original Phantom) Michael Crawford and tried to do the quiet high notes and in the end really failed with the song (but the audience went wild).
Susan, on the other hand is still climbing. Her meteoric ascent has only just begun, I would guesstimate. She made the cover of U.S.A Today, today. That's a pretty grand accomplishment in only ten days!!

So what was the story about? As I said in an earlier post, It was analysis, trying to get to the bottom of exactly why she has touched a nerve. Everyone wants to know her secret.

Poor girl, they're going to analyze and scrutinize her to death!

Anyway, it's pretty well known that those who gain overnight success, those who reach the top without "paying their dues" have a pretty good track record of going off the deep end. I want to state that my bet is on Susan in this case that she will handle her fame with grace.

What really has me thinking, though, is this: The judges stated that they had learned a lesson. A "wake up call." I am anxious to see if they truly DID learn their lesson. (The golden rule applies here: "Treat others the same way you would like to be treated.")

Time will tell.
Well, she's an overnight success after 35 years. She said she started singing at age 12.
[quote]
On 2009-04-19 14:47, Kondini wrote:
Cowel (What talent has that pratt got anyway,,,a big mouth but no bottle and a bunch of fans who keep him rich !!.

[/quote]

His talent is being an annoying jackass. As magnificent as she is at her chosen line, he's better at his.
Well spoken!

Perhaps a bit humbler annoying jackass now, though?
Gobsmacked? You a limey there Dougster?

I want to protest Destiny mentioning Celine, I now need to vomit.

Why would anyone have problems with Simon Cowell? He speaks what many think, and is in a business where being PC and sensative cost money. On Idol he is representing a company that has to sign the winner and he and his pals make money depending on how well they do. I don't blame him at all for trying to direct the votes and from what my friend, who spent a lot of time back stage when his sister was on Idol, Simon was always polite and friendly. I actually think on that Brit version the other guy, Purse or whatever his name is, is the bad guy. I don't have a clue who the woman is but I sure like the two hosts. I saw them on a show on TV and thought they were very funny.

Paula Abdul I think is good looking but let me tell ya, she has to be on something cuz during Idol she gets more out of it as the show goes on. I say bring Sharon Osborne on.
[quote]
On 2009-04-21 00:44, MagicSanta wrote:
Gobsmacked? You a limey there Dougster?

[/quote]
No. And I'm not French but I regularly use noblesse oblige and other French terms almost daily. In fact, if it's a word, it's fair game to me. Check out my new website.
No thank you, I'm not interested in peoples web sites. I take it you eat tucker and say cheers and all that nonsense? Odd.

Hey UKers, make sure to announce if this gal wins the contest or not, if it isn't over yet.
This whole thing is as fake as Pamela Anderson's breasts. They're real, just manufactured, just like Susan Boyle. NO WAY she has not had formal training to belt out that song. It's an extremely difficult song to sing half decent. There's no doubt she's got a great voice, but I'm really not buying the frumpy housewife thing. I say she was purposely dressed down for that. The judges all looked so shocked. Trust me, they knew what she was capable of. Cowell is the creator of the show and definitely knows how to weave a story like this to produce ratings. There is NO such thing as reality TV. Not even the news.
They don't deny, and there was an article about her some where here, that she has sung at festivals and as a feature performer for years. The winner from the last season of UK has Talent is her pal and she has performed with him for years and he put her up to trying out. Now that you mention it she did say that was her first time in front of an audience so that part is made up if you believe the article. She is an ugly broad that can sing, I'm an ugly guy who cannot, she wins.
Message: Posted by: Josh the Superfluous (Apr 21, 2009 06:03AM)
Someone offered her $1,000,000 to do a porn film. LOL!
If Ron Jeremy can make money doing it I'm sure she can.

Destiny
[b]'Young Stevie Wonder' steals spotlight from Susan Boyle[/b]

LONDON, England (CNN) -- Move over Susan Boyle. A week after the Scottish woman became a global sensation following a barnstorming audition on "Britain's Got Talent," a 12-year-old Welsh boy with a Motown voice has been hailed for his "life-changing" performance on the TV show after earning a standing ovation from Simon Cowell.

Full article [url=http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/Music/04/20/uk.talent.jafargholi/index.html]here[/url]

Check out the next carefully manufactured emotional [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVU4IkzMNIo]moment[/url] from Simon.

Does anyone still believe that this show is not a setup? Kid gets a huge buildup, Simon stops the kid during the first verse, setting up a big disappointment moment to build tension, then the kid comes back to wow the audience with a song that he just happened to have [i]already ready to play[/i], almost as if he were expecting to sing it.
I knew the show was a setup for some time, the articles written by the magicians who appeared on the show for Magic Magazine last August really reinforced it. This shows that they're just not trying anymore. It's bad drama and acting yes, but how many bad dramas (and comedies) and acting are on TV these days anyway?
Did anyone ever believe that all the TV talent shows were anything but setups? There is a reason that they audition so many and keep so few. It's entertainment, baby.

At least "So you think you can dance" bills their winner as "[Insert you country here]'s most popular dancer" and not "the best dancer".

John
Meh. She's alright, but she's no Peggy Guy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_76E8N4PHO0
Ahhhh, the 70's!!!!!
I'm a Professional Actor and Script Writer as well as a Magician... Have worked on Productions for almost nine years now... If that means anything.

While it could have been a set up, not really saying it is... You guys take the "set up" way too far...

Is the whole audience in on it?

Why tell the Judges beforehand? Why deliberately ruin it?

If I were the first ones hearing Susan during the pre-shooting entry level audition stages, I would just keep it from the judges, so they would be genuinely surprised. Why spoil it? You know she's good, keep the surprise for the genuine reactions on Camera later...

Wouldn't you?

It's like Copperfield's Show or any good Magic Show. The Magic is planned down to the "supposed mistakes" or "chance revelation" but the volunteers and audience are not in on it and are really amazed. If you knew you had a killer Magic effect to be recorded to tape and you could REALLY perform it, would you spoil it by telling the audience the routining and the secret?

Why get acting if you can get genuine expressions?

The difference is in just not telling them though you know you have a "winner" on your hands...

Same thing here.

Imho that is...

And she is really talented.

Now popular.

Inspiring millions.

Good for her.

She deserves this.

Excellent observations!
The Britain's got Talent organization probably knew that she could sing. But, as Pakar Ilusi alludes to, the panel most likely didn't. Their reactions seemed too genuine to me.
Chuck in my two bob worth.....
I am a raver, I love techno (some people call it doof doof ****e)
when I watched this performance I almost fell over, she blew me away
I never judged her pre-performance, I don't think its fair, some people are harsh.
ive never seen any thing like it ever and I love all the auditions but hers
was by far the best thing ive seen I was moved to tears (almost)
shows like this are not faked but sometimes the "stupid" folk are fast tracked
but never preplanned besides you could not set up the judges/audiences reactions.
I hope she wins but I can tell you, if you look at all the british reality tv shows of the past you will find that if there is a good scottish person, the whole country backs them unconditionally and they usually win, there is a pattern.
well done to her I suspect she has already won and now its simply a one horse race.
I'm also sure this will be the first person to gain international votes.
much love
interesting topic!
An interesting situation would have occurred if she were only modestly talented. Then the judging would more likely have been severe.

John
The best part of her try out was when they showed the teen age looking girl give a look of 'oh this will suck' before the woman started singing.

In the article about her they said at the tryouts before getting to the judges she was just as good and got a standing ovation. If they run it like they run idol here the 'final' judges have no idea if the person is good or not before seeing them.
Just looked at it again,
41m hits on that clip, over the collective clips, around 73m
that is phenominominominal.
This is like one of those "Chicken Soup For The Soul" inspirational stories...

Only we got to see it when it happened... :)

I am still inspired.

Thank you Susan Boyle for not giving up on your dreams.

Millions of people owe you their now "dusted and reclaimed" dreams...

I know I do...

[quote]
On 2009-04-23 17:40, MagicSanta wrote:
The best part of her try out was when they showed the teen age looking girl give a look of 'oh this will suck' before the woman started singing.

[/quote]
1:27 or 1:36? I think there were two.
Yeh but who would have thunk a yorshire pudding could sing.
Assuming we can believe this newspaper report:

SUSAN Boyle turned down the chance of a dream dinner date with President Barack Obama in Washington . . . to stay at home and wash her hair, we can reveal.

Britain's Got Talent's Hairy Angel confessed to being TOO NERVOUS to meet the American president - her most famous fan - at a glittering star-studded bash.

A source told us: "She was shocked and thrilled by the invite - but it was all too much too soon for her so she said No."

[url]http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/showbiz/britains_got_talent/299403/Britainrsquos-Got-Talentrsquos-Hairy-Angel-Susan-Boyle-turned-down-invite-to-Correspondents-Dinner-where-she-would-have-met-President-Barack-Obama.html[/url]
I thought about her makeover..some folks said she should not go there, but then I thought, the winner of BGT gets to sing before the queen right?

So if she wins (notice I said "IF") then a makeover will be inevitable, anyway! I mean, seriously, going before the QUEEN "frumpy" as she was for her first audition will certainly not be acceptable!

So if she gets one now, she's just getting the job done early.
And that makeover is a work in progress...

They should get her looking dignified and classy, not "pop"...

Imho...

Yes. They can do it and keep it moderate, and not go "overboard", you know keep it in good taste.
Pressure pushing down on me
Pressing down on you, no man asked for

[url]http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/britain_got_talent/2451169/Susan-Boyles-two-four-letter-rants-in-one-day-Britains-got-Talent.html[/url]
Susan's Debut Album just broke records.

So, I'll bring this thread back up for the Inspiration. Where the dream came true.

Her version of Wild horses(Stones)is wonderful!
I don't know if it's been released in the states yet.
Ray.