(Close Window)
Topic: Business Card Design
At the minute I'm making up a business card design, and I'm wondering what others have on theirs?

What do you describe yourself as? Mind Reader? Mentalist? What sort of logos or designs?

If you don't mind it'd be cool to see some of them. I've already got my basic look, so I'm not looking to steal anyones idea :) I'm a designer so I just like to see what others come up with.

Cheers.
I am certainley not a designer, but this works for me..
[quote]
On 2009-04-19 07:59, blackESP wrote:
What do you describe yourself as? Mind Reader? Mentalist?
[/quote]

On my business card I have Mentalist on it. People who get my card are people who have seen me perform. However when I'm marketing myself, especially when I'm sending out postcards, I am a mind reader.

My website marketing is split. I have websites that describe me as a mind reader, to support the postcards, but I also have a couple that describe me as a mentalist. Just from my experience, people are typically not looking for a mind reader, but because of the TV show The Mentalist, they DO look for a mentalist. I want to be found by those people. However the term means nothing to people who haven't heard of it, which is why I use Mind Reader with my cold marketing.
If you are a mentalist and magician, it is best to have separate cards. The cards will not look right with both professions.
[quote]
On 2009-04-19 09:30, Dynamike wrote:
If you are a mentalist and magician, it is best to have separate cards. The cards will not look right with both professions.
[/quote]

I agree Mike. IMO it's the same with websites. Why have magic and mentalism on the same website?

I Like the graphic design of Ciscokid's card.

I personally would print a business card vertically or even skew the text diagonally. Just a design opinion from an advertising perspective. In turning the card vertically to read it the reader is engaging in a relationship with the business card i.e. the performer and may be more likely to remember the name on the card versus a card that is printed like most others .
Thanks JAlenS,

I always use my cards in my routines, either I write something on the back or have printed a picture or something. That way they keep the card with a reminder of what they had experienced.

I will print another batch with your idea.

Thanks,

Omar
Mine are all black and just say my name across the middle, and mentalist underneath. Along with my phone # and e-mail adresss at the very bottom, which are all in siver. I like yours CiscoKid, good job. I also feel that keeping it simple is the way to go.

Regards,

Daren
Just a thought - the word 'mentalist' might create the wrong impression in the UK as, thanks to comedian Steve Coogan, it is now often linked to a person with learning difficulties or someone not quite the [i]right way up![/i]

A tip - leave the back blank! This comes in very handy.
My Card
Front
...and Back (for writing on)
Thanks for the replies. I don't do any 'magic' type magic, so I won't need two different cards/websites etc.

[quote]
On 2009-04-19 15:07, Roger Kelly wrote:
Just a thought - the word 'mentalist' might create the wrong impression in the UK as, thanks to comedian Steve Coogan, it is now often linked to a person with learning difficulties or someone not quite the [i]right way up![/i]

A tip - leave the back blank! This comes in very handy.
[/quote]

Hehe, yeah, people I know at work use 'mentalist' numerous times a day in that way, so I was always going to steer clear of it. I'm thinking something like 'Entertaining Mind Experiments'.

I'll probably make a few versions of the card, one with a blank back for writing, one with a magic square, one with ESP symbols etc.
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Apr 19, 2009 08:27PM)
[quote]
On 2009-04-19 17:41, kinesis wrote:
My Card
Front
[/quote]

kinesis,
You have a really good looking card!

Best
Ray
I even like the back of kinesis's card more than I like the front of many cards I've seen!
Kinesis,

Beautiful card brother! I'm not so sure I would have posted that if I were you... I'd wanna keep it to myself. ;)

Thanks for sharing.
Kinesis,
wow.....what a great business card idea......
[quote]
On 2009-04-19 17:42, kinesis wrote:
...and Back (for writing on)
[/quote]
It does look nice on the back, but remember business comes first. That can be a disadvantage having the back like that. One day your prospect may want some paper to write down a message or phone number for someone else. If they spot your card, that might be what they decided to use for the personal message. It helps the card travels to the wrong hands. Another disadvantage is when your prospect wants to write something down for himself/herself. If they use the back of your card, the person might keep the card with the back face outwards where ever they place it, not showing the front anymore.

One advantage is to have the back black. It will help keep the card from being used as a personal message note. Another advantage is to have more of your business material on the back to help keep it from being written on, and so your material will show either way your card is placed down.
Brilliant card Kinesis! You're clearly earning too much! :)
Dynamike: I assumed Derek left the back blank for writing on during effects? The mentalists I've designed cards for all stipulated a blank space on the card specifically for this purpose. Whoever did Kinesis's did a pretty good job and I'm sure it does the business.

Phill
Hey BlackESP,

Here are what the front and back of my business cards look like:

http://www.paulbrook.co.uk/bc/front_JPG.jpg

http://www.paulbrook.co.uk/bc/back_JPG.jpg

Kindest,

-Paul
Can anybody recomend a good source for purchasing business cards. I have had the same ones for 10 years and I am ready to order a new design.
Thanks!
[quote]
On 2009-04-20 06:07, phillsmiff wrote:
Dynamike: I assumed Derek left the back blank for writing on during effects? The mentalists I've designed cards for all stipulated a blank space on the card specifically for this purpose. Whoever did Kinesis's did a pretty good job and I'm sure it does the business.

Phill
[/quote]

Dynamike thinks out of the box.

J
[quote]
On 2009-04-20 07:24, rowdymagi5 wrote:
Can anybody recomend a good source for purchasing business cards. I have had the same ones for 10 years and I am ready to order a new design.
Thanks!
[/quote]

Go to http://www.zazzle.com and you can design your own at a decent cost.

Kinesis,

Man that is a nice design. Did you come up with it or did you have someone design it?

I love the back, mine are currently blank, but you have given me some ideas.

Omar
Thanks guys, I did the card myself on Adobe Photoshop and got it professionally printed. I've had many cards over the years but I think I'll be sticking with this one for a long time to come. The back is blank because, like many mentalists, I use it for an effect and then give it to the spectator to keep.

I have my cards printed here

http://www.printing.com/prices/group/BL

[quote]
On 2009-04-20 07:06, Paul Brook wrote:
Hey BlackESP,

Kindest,

-Paul
[/quote]

Paul, I love your card, especially the back, LOL It took me ages to find a back design that feels right and fits with the card. I looked at several ideas like the one you have but none of them worked with the front of my card. Your back goes perfectly with the front. Well Done.
I would join in and post an image of my card, but the front would look exactly like Derek's (Kinesis) and the back exactly like Paul's!

Just kidding...both terrific cards!

e
[quote]
On 2009-04-20 07:06, Paul Brook wrote:
Hey BlackESP,

Kindest,

-Paul
[/quote]

I like this one a lot, it's a mix between old school and a modern look - and I love the old school look, like on these posters:

http://www.shorpy.com/image/tid/91
Paul,

I love the your card, the back is amazeing, good job.

I think I'm going to change the whole mentalist word on my card.

Being mentaly I'll isn't always good for bussiness. lol
Message: Posted by: Mauricio Jaramillo (Apr 20, 2009 04:48PM)
Here's the one I currently use, though soon I'll be redesigning a few things in it. The back is very similar to Kinesis'.

http://www.mauriciojaramillo.com/businesscard1.jpg

Here are 2 other prototypes I'd come up with that I almost used, but then decided they didn't fit with what I really wanted to project; perhaps someone might get some ideas from them.

http://www.mauriciojaramillo.com/businesscard2.jpg

http://www.mauriciojaramillo.com/businesscard3.jpg
Mauricio - WOW!!!

I love your card. The two you rejected did nothing for me, so good choice. Your card is very dynamic.

Derek
WOW! Those of you that have posted your cards have done extremely well. I haven't seen one that I don't like..on this thread. :)

A full bleed isn't much more than a traditional business card and they look very nice and professional.

I love your cards guys.
Is anyone else starting to be reminded of one of the intro scenes to "American Psycho?" Or am I the only one?
Kinesis. I would like to borrow the back of your card but in a slightly different color. Very nice :)
Message: Posted by: Mauricio Jaramillo (Apr 20, 2009 09:12PM)
[quote]
On 2009-04-20 22:05, pearljamjeff wrote:
Is anyone else starting to be reminded of one of the intro scenes to "American Psycho?" Or am I the only one?
[/quote]

Hehehe, funny. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoIvd3zzu4Y

[quote]
Kinesis wrote:
Mauricio - WOW!!!

I love your card. The two you rejected did nothing for me, so good choice. Your card is very dynamic.

Derek
[/quote]

Thanks Derek, love your design as well!
Take a look in here

http://www.magiciancards.com/

enjoy

Ponch
Something wrong, Patrick? You're sweating.
[quote]
On 2009-04-21 01:43, ponchito wrote:
Take a look in here

enjoy

Ponch
[/quote]

Boy that Internet marketing software certainly gets around.

So, I can get MORE gigs with a biz card?

J
As I recall, Kenton K has some information on turning a business card into one of several effects...
Apparently [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YBxeDN4tbk]it takes 25 years...[/url]
This is the card I have been using since October. I am quite happy with the results. Perhaps when I reorder, I will change it up a bit.

[img]http://www.mysteryandillusion.com/images/georges-robert_bc.jpg[/img]

Derek's artwork on the back is a brilliant idea!
Pearljamjeff,

I exactly thought about this scene when reading the first page of the thread, looking at some praises about this or this card...

Hope it won't raise killer instincts within the members here :P
Not as good looking or as fancy as some, but it does what I want, shows my product (me), and gives the contact information.
[quote]
On 2009-04-21 12:42, Malchat wrote:
Apparently [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YBxeDN4tbk]it takes 25 years...[/url]
[/quote]

that guy is an absolute comedy genius!
[quote]
On 2009-04-21 01:43, ponchito wrote:
Take a look in here

enjoy

Ponch
[/quote]

has anyone actually used this guy? I actually like his business card idea..
This discussion is very interesting.

Is the use of business cards by entertainers different from the use by business people? I ask because most discussions indicate that performers expect the recipient to keep their business cards indefinitely.

In business, I usually receive business cards in a somewhat formal exchange at the beginning of a business meeting. I usually arrange the cards in front of me in an array that duplicates the seating pattern around the table to give all of the meeting participants little "name plates" so I can address each participant properly. At the end of the meeting, I usually scan the contact information from the cards of the important people into my PDA contacts list and then throw the cards away or file them in a big book I never look at.

Two-sided cards usually have the same information on both sides, but in different languages. I find cards printed vertically to be "gimmicky." Cards with a lot of graphics covering the face (full-card pictures, etc.) are hard for me to read; a printed logo is fine.

A business card that is part of a trick need not be so formal, of course.
I also note that Paul Brook's example only had his name and a URL. Are people putting less and less contact information on their business cards?

Given the differences between what I encounter in business and what I see here, I was wondering whether corporate entertainers have different cards for those gigs (i.e., more corporate and less entertainer)?
Opus is pretty accurate here. But I think he's only addressed half the story. Giving your card out isn't HALF as important as the cards you receive in return. As long as you have their contact information, let them throw your card away. Who cares? You be in control of the contact.
[quote]
On 2009-04-21 14:02, IAIN wrote:
[quote]
On 2009-04-21 12:42, Malchat wrote:
[/quote]

that guy is an absolute comedy genius!
[/quote]

As temtping as it is to mock Joel, he's absolutely correct. Your card should not just tell people who you are, what you do, and how to contact you. It should SELL you. It should tell prospective clients WHAT YOU CAN DO FOR THEM. (Yes, I shouted that because it's important.)

When Joel was working trade show, his card told the client, "Crowds Guaranteed." Boom. Two words that told the client the benefit of hiring Joel over "Bob Smith, Magician/Corporate Entertainer."

FTR, I'm not Joel, nor a devotee. Just someone who recognizes good advice when he sees it.
[quote]
On 2009-04-21 14:32, pearljamjeff wrote:
Opus is pretty accurate here. But I think he's only addressed half the story. Giving your card out isn't HALF as important as the cards you receive in return. As long as you have their contact information, let them throw your card away. Who cares? You be in control of the contact.
[/quote]

This must be an issue of how you get bookings. I can't imagine how few bookings I'd have if my cards weren't passed around (I know becaue they tell me when calling/emailing about booking me: "I got your card from Joe Cardgiver...").

As performing is a side gig, and I would hate to do it, I never cold-call people just because I got their cards, they contact me when they are looking for somebody. Again, I perform because I like it but my "real" job is where I make my money. It's probably different for others but... ick... I neither ask for nor receive many cards when I am performing, although many are given out (most often as parts of effects).

My preference and experience both contribute to my personal distaste for the whole "As long as you have their contact information, let them throw your card away" approach.

Am I the odd one out on this? I am more than happy to be so, btw, I am just curious.

PS- I'm not sure tempting to mock that guy is the right phrase. It goes WAY beyond temptation, into the realm of breathing and eating. You just HAVE to mock that guy, spouting off stock marketing phrases, making grand pronouncements (also a straight up marketing approach), but remaining emminently unlikeable (which is where it all goes wrong, you have to have some sort of charisma to pull it off, he doesn't, which is also indicative of a lack of self-awareness on his part). I know you don't want us to mock him but I think we can ALL agree that just a little bit of adjustment on his part would make his message much more easy to stomach.
It's not a cold-call if you've already met them! :) Why rely on a little piece of paper getting passed into the right hands? If that works for you, then by no means am I suggesting that you should change. I was just trying to advocate a different point of view.
Nothing WRONG with asking for a card. Send them a mind tickler or some such thing. Then an email reminder every so often.

I know when I get cards (not from prospects but those that consider ME a prospect!) from others they end up on my dresser for a while then thrown out.

Sure, it's a great idea to ask for their card as well. Why not!

J
Calm down, Jeff.

I was going to get into the difference between cold and hot calls but decided not to get into it. I also took great pains to stay away from a completely different aspect, them giving you the card for the express reason of setting up a show for them (which is distinct from just getting somebody's business card).

I will note that you completely ignored the entire idea of word of mouth with the performer's business card but that's ok. If you only ever want to perform for people who hand you business cards, that's your approach. I like having an interesting card that gets passed around. Apples and oranges. I really don't care and, frankly, I don't even consider them to be competing strategies, just utterly different.

I can say, however, that my last 5 bookings came from people who heard about me from others. At least 1 or 2 CONFIRMED that they got a copy of my business card. I couldn't imagine taking the attitude that I don't care about my cards and whether they keep them. This is the difference.

I also am not putting your point of view down. Not even a little bit. However it's an approach that would, FOR ME, take all the enjoyment out of what I do. And since I perform for enjoyment, not pay, that makes all the difference in the world.
Less arguing, more cool designs thanks :)
How about coming up with one yourself?

Right, I forgot.