(Close Window)
Topic: The Sound Commander
Hey Folks...
Here it is... the Sound Commander. It's my answer to the expensive Remote Controlled sound controllers on the market.

There are a bunch of features....
1. Big display of the name of the track, not just a number...
2. Great, forward and backward scrolling.
3. Ad Hoc tracks that you can play at anytime during the show with the touch of a button.
4. Remote Control works in your pocket.
5. Configurable fade times.
6. cheap...
7. small and light (with the netbook)

Here is a demo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnTtzlRndYM

If you have a windows laptop... you are in with a 50 dollar remote and the software (I think I'll make it about $100, I just rethought the price point... I was origianlly thinking $200)

If you don't have a windows laptop...
I can configure the whole setup for you for $600 plus shipping on an Acer Aspire One Netbook. They are awesome, pretty much a full little computer with windows/email/internet... and, of course... the SoundCommander.

PM or email...
I have never put out a product before... so I am offering full support and any software upgrades...

I have been using this guy for the last year and a half and LOVE IT.
You can email me at steve .. sbobo.net
What's the remote that you're using?
Scody,

Looks good! A feature that would be cool.... Color coding.

One of two ways... either each song could be color coded, that way, from across a stage you could tell you are on the right song without reading, just look over, see "green" and know you are on the right track.

Or you could have color coding for the "playing", "queued", etc screens.

Just a thought....

scott
SB...
I beat you to it!!!
Color Coding is now a feature... red for queued, green for playing.
The queued and playing text is now gone.

Per the remotes...
This is the one that I use:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3514353&Sku=H123-1014

But there are others that you can use too.
I am constantly looking for others... this is just the one that I found and really like.

The cool thing is... you can really use any powerpoint remote, but you want an RF one with lots of features. The commands are all configurable, and of course... I can help out!

Hope this helps!
You're just saying that so you don't have to pay me royalties....lol

Very cool controller. I like that it uses an actual computer. The display is very nice.

scott
I've got it!

It's a no brainer.
I have been getting a lot of questions about that sound commander...
I'll try to answer some more here...
Here's the scoop...
I am selling the software for $100.
You can get a great remote (PPZoom) for about 55 + tax.
There are other remotes out there that you can get, but basically you want it to be RF, not IR.
I can help you to configure it so that it works with any remote that you buy, given that it has the right buttons.
Incidentally... the PPZoom is really good.

I use mine on an ACER Aspire one. It's one of those cute little net books with an 8.9 inch screen.
It's actually become my normal computer... it sells for about 300 + tax.

All you really neec is the software, a remote, and a windows computer with speaker or headphone jacks and a usb port. The usb port is for the remote control... if you find a remote that doesn't use usb, you can use that... but like I said... the ppzoom is what I use.

It plays mp3 files that you have on the computer.
It's all configurable.
There are two ad hoc tracks that can be played instantly at anytime.
You can configure the fade time on all tracks.
Red means it's queued, green means it's playing,.
You can stop from a track... you can advance to the next track.
You can have multiple playlists... for different shows.

If you just want the software... I sell that for $100... I have a download site for you... it will work for one computer.
If you want me to bundle the whole thing on one of these little net guys (which, again, is what I use), I can do that for you to... and I'll probably charge $600 for the whole thing.
I believe it can be used on a mini notebook (if by that, you mean netbook)... as long as it has a headphone or speaker jack, and a usb interface... and is windows.

If you have any more questions, let me know.
If you want to buy, paypal me at steve sbobo.net
Looks like a winner here! I am a MP3Tech guy but this is a nice alternative. I have another suggestion for you. Can you get the software to use Pictures or Symbols instead of text? I work comedy clubs and events where my music is in a sound booth far away. If you could use a simple sign or picture for your queues as well, the guys who work in this environment will love it.

Just a thought...

Jamie
Yes... I could do that!
Thanks for the suggestion!!
What about being able to change the font.
That way instead of a photo, you could just use the letter "M" at some gynormous font size so it fills the screen. Or some wingdings at a huge size.

hey, didn't I give you the idea for the ad-hoc sound effect buttons?
Ooh...
but wouldn't a picture be cool?
Next up...bill in lemon. On the screen is a giant lemon!

Rope Routine with a coiled rope in the screen.

Billiard Balls with...Balls.

You get the idea.

Jamie
Got my wireless mouse presenter by honeywell today.
next the 'puter.
Got my acer laptop today.
After getting the laptop installed properly it was time to install the sound commander.

it took me about 5 minutes and it worked the first time right out of the box.
I'm impressed.

Much easier to set up and use than the iCue2 was. For a hullava lot less money.
Scody,

I love it!!! I'm a LapTop geek. The only thing I don't like about it is the size of the remote. I currently use a VSM and I have have it on my belt, it's the size of an old pager. Other than that...I really think you have something good here.

Keep up the good work. :)

Jim
Thanks Jim...
I'm working on a smaller remote!

Recall... Any powerpoint presenter, or computer remote control can work... It should have some good distance though... and use RF...

When I find one... I'll let people know about it.
This looks interesting:

http://www.smklink.com/index.php?id=Njg5&specs=1
Looks GREAT!
My question is how does the laptop tie into whatever house system is being used at the venue I am at?
The VSM and Icue systems used rca cables that connected to a DI box, or directly into the house sound board.

Thanks!

=Frank=
My laptop can tie into any amplifier equipped with RCA jacks by using an adapter cable with a stereo mini-phone plug at one end and RCA plugs on the other. You can find them at any Radio Shack.
That's exactly correct Clinton...

I just use a Stereo eight inch to mono quarter inch (or xlr) ... and I'm in business!
WARNING. DO NOT BUY THAT ACER ASPIRE ONE

The typical laptop audio connector is not designed to withstand the abuse of a working magician. Eventually the cheap plastic connector inputs will break and you have to spend cash to have them fixed. The movement of the audio plugs will put stress on the connectors.

I had to repair my laptop 3 times with that problem.

If you do decide to buy a laptop as I have been suggesting for years. Buy one with a Expansion Port- either with ExpressCard or PCMCIA Type II CardBus port on the side.

Then buy the correct card from

http://www.echoaudio.com/

As an example:

This Express Card

http://www.echoaudio.com/Products/ExpressCard/IndigoDJx/index.php

This Laptop with a ExpressCard 54 Slot

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4580265&Sku=H24-8003

G0THIKE
CONNECTORS:

Typically you connect the laptop audio to some 1/8 inch adapter to dual RCA cables that plugs into the board or sound system. But if the rca cables are longer than 15 feet I believe, it turns into a radio antenna and you pick up radio signals.

In some case you would need two rca to 1/4 adapters.

Also when you plugging in to a board you got to be sure its a line (audio- ipod, casset player, cd player, laptop, mp3 player) input and not a microphone input. Some board have a line/microphone switch.

If you plug the laptop into a microphone input you will get static. Typically microphone inputs are XLR, some might be 1/4 inch.

To avoid static you need a Direct Box which will convert your line (audio) signal into microphone signal. Also a direct box can properly mix a stereo signal into mono. If you just use a cheap adapter to combine a stereo to mono signal you will also get static since the signals are fighting each other.

I personally use a Radial ProAV1 Multi Media Direct Box. It converts a stereo signal into a mono signal and allows me to plug in an ipod to a single microphone input into a mixing board, DJ system, etc, etc.

Its also passive, meaning it doesn't need power (battery).

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ProAV1/

It has saved my behind many times. Also I am sure if you look around you might find a better price.

Finally if you want to keep the STEREO feel try this one:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ProAV2/

G0THIKE
To late for me. I'll let you know if anything happens to it.
Thanks g0thike...

That's good to know.
I've been using my regular sized laptop for over a year, and have had no problems yet... but it's good to know. I recently switched (a few monts ago) to the smaller acer... and so far, no problems.

I usually connect pretty close to the board.... and like I say... no problems to speak of.

I am curious though... I am using quarter inch cable with an eight inch adapter... not sure how this can pick up like a radio... I've used plenty of mic lines that are this long... and don't have the problem.

Anyway... thanks a bunch. I'll keep everybody posted on how long my laptop lasts :)
Hi

When I used a Laptop for music I used to get a hum when using main (ok off battery.

Solved it with a hum eliminator on the line output.

A thought how do you over people that see a laptop and want to fiddle with the keys?

This is something I encountered a lot of when doing kids shows, I even had a kid turn off my MP3 Tech the other week, fortunately on turning it back on, it went straight back to where I was in the show. Dread to think what it would have been like in the Laptop days.

Colin
Hi
Is it possible to have two remotes connected and working at the same time.
so I could use one as an ankle switch. like the mp3 tech?
thanks
Scody,

A long RCA cable can possibly turn into an antenna and you would pickup a radio station. The solution is the direct box, then you can run a long XLR cable to a board.

The thing with the connectors in laptops is that they are made out of plastic and in some cases they are deeply imbedded in the moterboards of the laptop and if they fail it might be impossible to replace.

The connectors in IPODS are made out of metal.

I highly recommend Echo Audio cards.

Frank Starsini,

Im sorry I didn't read this post earlier I was away on some shows. But in all honesty for the past few years I have been hyping laptops. You should have seriously sent me a Private Message.

But your laptop connector might never fail or it may. You should look into a external USB audio card in case it does. The usb audio card will reroute the onboard audio card signal until you get it fixed.

G0THIKE
Thanks Gothike...

I like those ideas.
I'm definitely not one of those guys who thinks he knows everything... so it's nice to hear your thoughts.

I will say this though... I know many non magicians that use their headphones with their laptops multiple times a day, indeed, far more pulling the cord out, and putting it back in, then even a serious working magician would ever do.

I know that in the computer programming world, people do this a lot... It's how they get through the day many times.

I'm not saying your wrong... and I head your warnings... but so far, it hasn't been my experience.

Thanks for the thoughts.
I will include your warning whenever I talk about my system to others.
To avoid picking up radio interference, use shielded cables. Also, if you're plugging into a low impedance microphone jack, make sure that you have an impedance matching transformer.
Scody,
How do we order it. I am currently using VSM. Always like having a back up. I think this it. The idea of using the small computer, I can stick under my table and ready to go.

Question for you, I saw you said use a rf controller. I already use one for my computer. Do each of them have a different channel?

Thanks and looking forward in doing business with you.
Scody,
Sorry for another post. One your little acer computer, have you had it skip if it viberates from an unsteady stage? Hope that makes sense.
Thanks!
Darren
Sorry about that DoDad...
I gotcha in PM...
I saw that there is a cheap deal on the asus 8.9 inch on buy.com

SAVE $150.00
FREE BUDGET SHIPPING
Buy.com price: $199.99
List price: $349.99

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=211162732&adid=17992&dcaid=17992
Any NEW News on the Sound Commander???

Has a Smaller Keychain type remote been found???

=Frank=
I have been using the Honeywell Power Presenter. It gives 3 programmable buttons.
Works fine on mine.
Is there a Mac version?
There is no Mac version but that's alright. I am a long time Mac user. When my iCue Duo started acting flakey, I decided to look into the Sound Commander. I had avoided using a laptop for my music system because I didn't want to have anything that large behind my table or that expensive to transport. (I use a pretty recent MacBook.) Using a netbook was an ideal solution. Sure, it's a PC but all I'm using it for is to run Sound Commander and to check e-mail while away from home.

A netbook is so convenient size wise. I'm in my first week of using Sound Commander for my shows. I've done 4 shows with it and really like the responsiveness of the software.

If you haven't ever used a PC before (I use them regularly), it will a little time for Steve to assist you in setting up your system. (He's very patient! I am reasonably knowledgeable about using a PC but I was having a problem getting my playlist working. Several phone calls later, Steve had me going.)

The one thing I would point out is that it isn't like using iTunes. You don't just drag and drop your tracks into the Sound Commander. It's not hard but you type in your song titles and the display name.

I'm very satisfied with it and I really like having an inexpensive netbook to web surf and e-mail check on the road.
Is there a web link to order the Sound Commander?

=Frank=
No, Frank, there isn't. You purchase it using PayPal. You'll want to contact Steve about purchasing it. His email address is steve(at)sbobo.net .

Michael
How much is the Sound Commander?
It is $100 and, to be honest, Steve gave me more than $100 of his time in helping me set it up. It's not that complicated but, for some reason, my playlist wouldn't work and I'm stubborn enough that I wanted to figure out why. Finally, I gave up and used the playlist Steve made for me and it worked fine.

I've used it for 6 shows this week and I'm pretty happy, thus far.

Michael
Wonder if anyone would develop an ankle switch for this...
No ankle switch yet...
but, if we can find somebody to develop an ankle switch that can mimic keypresses... it'll be awesome :)

Working on some upgrades... incidentally, upgrades are free.
Anyone know the comparisons between this and Jim Kleefield's Sound Control?

[quote]
On 2009-04-20 14:29, scody wrote:
Hey Folks...
Here it is... the Sound Commander. It's my answer to the expensive Remote Controlled sound controllers on the market.

There are a bunch of features....
1. Big display of the name of the track, not just a number...
2. Great, forward and backward scrolling.
3. Ad Hoc tracks that you can play at anytime during the show with the touch of a button.
4. Remote Control works in your pocket.
5. Configurable fade times.
6. cheap...
7. small and light (with the netbook)

Here is a demo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnTtzlRndYM

If you have a windows laptop... you are in with a 50 dollar remote and the software (I think I'll make it about $100, I just rethought the price point... I was origianlly thinking $200)

If you don't have a windows laptop...
I can configure the whole setup for you for $600 plus shipping on an Acer Aspire One Netbook. They are awesome, pretty much a full little computer with windows/email/internet... and, of course... the SoundCommander.

PM or email...
I have never put out a product before... so I am offering full support and any software upgrades...

I have been using this guy for the last year and a half and LOVE IT.
You can email me at steve .. sbobo.net
[/quote]
Hi Bill,
I haven't heard of Jim Kleefield's Sound Control.

Can you give us a link?
Ok... I just had a look.
This is a pretty good alternative I think!
http://www.jimkleefeld.com/JWKbooks.html

The primary difference is... The Sound Control uses an ipod.. and comes with a remote.

The Sound Commander does not come with a remote, and uses a laptop. The laptop screen and track name can be seen on the screen from pretty far away.
The Sound Commander also offers adhoc tracks that can be played anytime out of the normal track list. I don't know how the fades work with Sound Control... But they are all configurable on Sound Commander.

I think that if you have an Ipod, for a hundred bucks, the Sound Control is pretty good, unless you need to see the tracks, and you'd like an adhoc set of tracks.

I am STOKED that this stuff is coming down in price.
I've always felt rapped when considerring a remote sound control.

Good job Jim!
and... Good job me :)
[quote]
On 2009-07-19 20:10, scody wrote:
No ankle switch yet...
but, if we can find somebody to develop an ankle switch that can mimic keypresses... it'll be awesome :)

Working on some upgrades... incidentally, upgrades are free.
[/quote]

Do tell! WHAT Upgrades???
Don't forget to add the feature that shows the time of day permanently at the top of the screen.
Any NEW NEWS???????????????
Will it run on Windows 7?
Look at this idea for $24.95
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWG7dQ-IG7A
This link seems to be on the verge of drying up... and I'm interested in the Sound Commander. Tried emailing scody for current info, but no reply as yet. Does anyone else have any news on this?

Tks

DCB
I do have an alternative you can test at:

http://www.magogusi.com/soloassistant/indexen.html

And see some videos of the system working and in setup mode at:

http://www.youtube.com/user/magogusi

Feel free to contact me with any question.
Hi Guys,

is there a posibility that everybody who offers a sound system is kidnapped? I tried to reach SCODY (several times).....no response..... I tried to reach MISCOES (several times)..... no response.
Any ideas?
Contact kerry pollock - he will respond. ;)
Any reviews on Kerry's MediaStar?
Chester,

What is it you are looking for? There are several options for remote music systems. Kerry Pollock's products are top of the line and definitely work great. I've been quite satisfied using a simple RF remote with my iPod.

Michael
Michael what RF remote are you using with your Ipod?
I'm using the iJet NAV:
http://www.buyijet.com/index.php/1-way-products/ijet-nav-special-edition-white-nav-with-flashlight-remote.html

The only function I don't get with this is the ability to auto fade a track. Technically, it doesn't auto pause at the end of a track but I use a 20-miunte silent track in between each piece of music so that's not an issue.
Thanks Michael
I love Sound Commander, but I too wish I could reach SCODY.

It is not as plug and play as some but it does things other can't.

If you can do some basic line editing and know how to run your paths to
make sure the program finds your music, it works great.

I've even put basic scripts on the screen for ques.

SCODY... where are you!!!! Please Come Back!!!

Kent
I sent scody an email months ago and, on 26th Jan 2011, he replied, telling me that sound commander is once again available for purchase. Just thought I should pass this on
Bill
[quote]Hi Guys,

is there a posibility that everybody who offers a sound system is kidnapped? I tried to reach SCODY (several times).....no response..... I tried to reach MISCOES (several times)..... no response.
Any ideas?[/quote]

MISCOES not really kidnapped. Still alive.
http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/airclickusb

I recommend you guys to try miscoes system. It works well and he is honest guy.
[quote]
On 2011-02-03 15:41, Carlos Hampton wrote:
http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/airclickusb

I recommend you guys to try miscoes system. It works well and he is honest guy.
[/quote]

That link says this item is discontinued...
Many thanks Carlos.

Yes, airclick is now discontinued but you can use any remote device able to simulate keypresses or no remote device if you have an assistant.

There are news in the software but it's still in testing. I'v just implemented some functions asked by some forum users and also improving DMX lights and effects control.

And, of course, if you can read spanish, pay a visit to http://www.damainquieta.com, the biggesta and best magicians forum in spanish language.
I purchased sound commander from Steve just two weeks ago. He and I exchanged several e-mails and he sent me the download information for his software....the transaction was very smooth.

I've used Sound Commander in several shows now and I have to say that it works very well. I don't know how I got along without it before!

Tony
Where can this be purchased?
I was wondering if anyone uses a smaller remote than the Honeywell PPZoom suggested?
You can use Griffin Airclick. It's very small and have nice butons you are able to feel from outside your pocket.
Is Scody on here anymore???
Just e-mail him directly. He answers very quickly.
I have 2 VSM's and a friend/tech/magic mentor...who has parts and the knowledge to repair them. When the time comes that they cannot be repaired...I'm going with the MP3 Tech. I hope that time doesn't come anytime soon. :)
I too have been using a Virtual Soundman with a MiniDisk player for about 10 years. Recently the Minidisk broke and although I was able to find one on ebay, I figured it was time to look into a back-up system. Virtual Soundman died trying to adapt their product to the ever changing ipods so they were gone.

The obvious choice was the MP3Tech. I was disappointed however when I learned that it wasn’t a wireless system…it had to be plugged in. They did tell me about a battery pack that I could purchase elsewhere in order to make it wireless, but the web site they sent me to said it was no longer available. For me being wireless is VERY important. I was also a little disappointed at the cost. Technology has gone way down in price but this system seems to have gone up.

I then looked at the various remotes to control an ipod but for me the ability to fade out music is a must! None of the remotes I looked at gave me this ability.

I had read about the Sound Commander here at the Café and decided to give it a try. I picked up a Mini Dell computer with a 6 cell battery pack on ebay for less than $200 and the recommended remote for $50. The software itself was $100. So it was a total investment of $350.

Setting up the system is not a click and drag type of affair. You have to be able to edit text files, create directories and copy files. Nothing difficult but does require some knowledge. For me this wasn’t an issue and I had learned the software and set up one of my shows in less than a couple of hours. Setting up additional shows now takes me less than 10 minutes and I can alter them at the venue very easily.

The software works exactly as advertised. You can advance or go back in the track list, you can call up two random tracks at any time and you can fade out music. You can customize the words that appear on the screen for every track. When a track is playing the words are in green and when the song is merely cued up they are in red. The remote has been very reliable and I have not had any distance issues. My only slight complaint is that the remote is a little bigger than I would like and white.

So for me this is a very effective system at a very reasonable price.
Mike,

Thanks for a great review!! My only hang up is having to carry around a laptop. Both of my VSM's are the old (mini) kind and are compact. There is no bootup needed (as with a computer) and a hard drive cannot crash. If I didn't have such a great friend who could fix them for me...I might be more concerned and be searching. Like I said..I currently have 2 working (knock on wood) units that have both been repaired and modified numerous times and seem to work great for me. Upon further review of the MP3 tech...the "on the fly" process seems a little lengthly to me. Most of the time I just need to move a song or 2...not modify a whole new show.

When the time comes...maybe I'll give Sound Commander a try.

Thanks again Mike!!
You are most welcome!
Mike,

Krylon (Reno Depot: Krylon Fusion for Plastic) sells paint for use on plastic. It might not be too hard to spray it black.

John
Thanks John!