(Close Window)
Topic: How is the weather where you guys are?
How is it?
Very rainy today. It's making my grass very green which is good but I also have to mow it.
We had a very cold and dry winter, followed by had a cool spring. Things are slowly greening. It was sunny and pleasant today, though.

Thanks for asking. How about for you Kevin?

John
Tornados today.
Rain...then a little more rain and then some more rain.

I like it.
Still waiting for global warming to kick in.

It is supposed to be hotter that it has been lately.
Typical spring here. I need to buy some grass seed though. I got some foul lawn spots. Generally I could care less but it's started to make ME look twice:-p
Getting very cold here - I even noticed some backpackers wearing T shirts - that indicates winter is coming.
Destiny, does toilet water really flow counter clockwise in Aussie land?
[quote]
On 2009-05-03 22:46, plasticdestiny wrote:
Getting very cold here - I even noticed some backpackers wearing T shirts - that indicates winter is coming.
[/quote]

Maybe they're tougher in Queensland, but when I was in NSW last (Australian) winter, I couldn't believe what I saw. In mild 12C weather, many of the locals had coats, hats and gloves on. My daughter went to a riding stable and laughed out loud when she saw that the horses were blanketed. Tell me things aren't so soft in Queensland.

John
John,

Here in the tropics we are tough - real tough... except when it comes to cold - 12C - I'd be sheltering in the house with electric heaters.

Justin,

Toilet water - is that eau de toilette? I can only refer you to this very educational thread in Pennies. Slim travelled half way round the world and spent his free time flushing a toilet.
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=305469&forum=15&22
John, the weather here is fine, slightly rainy- odd for this time of year.

I always thought the best way to think about the toilet thing was: If they built a giant toilet, half on one side of the equator, half on the other would it not flush?

I have read it explained as formed by the "corialis" (sp) effect, or the spinning of the earth. But then again, I have also read things are just made differently in other parts of the world.
Wonderful, Venice Beach is great this time of year.
The toilet thing is a myth. Think about throwing a ball back and forth on a merry-go-round, or whatever they might call it in Australia. The ball seems to the people on the thing to curve opposite to the direction of motion, when it actually moves in a straight line as seen by a stationary observer, and in relation to the ground. This is how the coriolis force works. For the ball to seem to curve the other way, the m-g-r would have to spin in the [i]opposite[/i] direction, which the southern hemisphere does not do.

Bill
Living in central California we are used to 2 seasons.... Fog and HOT! This year we seem to be enjoying a very mild and pleasant Spring! It happens every few years and it's usually followed by a blistering summer with consecutive days over 105F! Gotta make the best of it while it lasts!

MMc
[quote]The toilet thing is a myth. Think about throwing a ball back and forth on a merry-go-round, or whatever they might call it in Australia. The ball seems to the people on the thing to curve opposite to the direction of motion, when it actually moves in a straight line as seen by a stationary observer, and in relation to the ground. This is how the coriolis force works. For the ball to seem to curve the other way, the m-g-r would have to spin in the opposite direction, which the southern hemisphere does not do.[/quote]

Bill, as always, is correct.

Nor do we go out and in, or down and up.

We do however drive on the correct side of the road while you Americans drive on the right side, and while your drivers sit on the correct side of their cars, we sit on the right side.

Destiny
Rained for 3 days earlier this week! OMG! First time in years!
Starting to cool down here. No more 40oC days. There is fog at night and frost on the grass in the morning (even still at 8:00).
Bill, you ever hear about the toilets being built different or am I just unaware?

I knew I spelt "coriolis " wrong!!!!
More rain today...less miles on the road!
You can test the drain thing easily. Fill a sink. Gently move the water with your hand--you don't need to do much. When you pull the drain the water goes down in the direction that you moved the water. You can do it in either direction anywhere on earth. The shape of the sink and the existing movements of the water determine which way the water goes down.

And the Kenyan water drainers are, IMO, brilliant street performers.

John
East Central Florida...Temperature approaching 90F, dry, breezy. Hopefully, we will get some badly needed rain this upcoming weekend...

Cardamagically,

Dom :) ;)
So, John, I am kind of right -by way of design, some toilets "flush" in a different way?
[quote]
On 2009-05-04 12:56, kcg5 wrote:
So, John, I am kind of right -by way of design, some toilets "flush" in a different way?
[/quote]

Yup. Once after a heavy rain, I drove over a nearly-flooded country road. There were 3 culverts under the road and the water level was well above the culverts. Two of them were draining clockwise and one was draining counterclockwise. I wish I had had a video camera with me.

John
Indecisive
That would have been cool to see.

The only time I have to consider the coriolis effect is when I'm using my sniper rifle from a mile away.
As I am simply just energy with no material I would have to say we have no weather however I do like sunshine
Well, I live in the Inland Northwest so it's hot. No wait, now it's snowing. No wait it's hot ag... rainy... snowy... hail...hot... malt balls? really?
Two weekends ago, we had 80-90 degree weather. Last week, it was in the lower 50s and rainy. I'm hoping for better this weekend.
[quote]
On 2009-05-04 22:25, ed rhodes wrote:
Two weekends ago, we had 80-90 degree weather. Last week, it was in the lower 50s and rainy. I'm hoping for better this weekend.
[/quote]

I'd take last week's over two weekends ago, anytime.
Yeah, maybe. But you didn't have to watch a parade in the drizzle. OTOH, I didn't have to march in a parade in the drizzle.
WHat does snoop dogg need an umbrella for? Fo' DRIZZLE!!!!
Seems as though the weather around here recently has been balmy..
It's been like four solid days of rain! God! If I wanted to live in Seattle, I'd have MOVED there!