(Close Window)
Topic: Ebay or Amazon?
Do you prefer Ebay or Amazon?

Just curious.

(as to selling OR buying-just curious as to the responses I'm going to get)

All the Best,
Andrew
Depends what I'm buying (or selling).

DVDs, CDs, books ... Amazon, hands down. And I almost always buy used. Can't beat the prices (and always check out the prices in the "other editions" box if there is one ... often the first published hardcover will be going for 1 cent when all other editions are 5 and 10 dollars or more). Selling these items, also Amazon ... eBay is just too crowded and badly structured for selling things there are a lot of ... I just post my item on Amazon for the lowest price anyone else is offering, and they sell in a snap (why would anyone pay more than the lowest?) - you have to check back regularly to see if anyone has undercut you. Amazon makes it easy. Exception: if I'm selling something, and others have already driven down the price to pennies, it goes to Goodwill or the Salvation Army or the used book store.

Buying new consumer goods: Amazon as well. The customer comments and ratings on each item are so useful, and the prices are mostly the lowest around.

On the other hand, buying memorabilia or stuff there's only one of: eBay. I can't tell you how many times I've thrilled my wife with a little gift of a piece of jewelry or something like that, browsed on eBay (Amazon just doesn't have the "thrift store" chops to match eBay.)

HOWEVER: my own carnival/magic-theme DVDs and e-books just aren't selling on eBay like they used to ... sales just quit. I'll try again in a few months.
I check both and go with the best price.
Only sold once on eBay and it was an awful experience.
I appreciate the responses. Some very good points made.

Anybody Else?

All the Best,
Andrew
I'm kinda annoyed at eBay with their whole "use PayPal or shop somewhere else!" But since I'm broke all the time and can't shop on either, it doesn't matter to me.
[quote]
On 2009-05-15 11:40, ed rhodes wrote:
I'm kinda annoyed at eBay with their whole "use PayPal or shop somewhere else!" But since I'm broke all the time and can't shop on either, it doesn't matter to me.
[/quote]

I don't do PayPal. (Personal preference.) If I find something I like on eBay, I write the seller and see if he'll accept Cashier's Checks or Money Orders. I'm surprised at how many say "yes" so as to save the PayPal fees.
Ebay or Amazon for selling books?
Prefer Amazon.
I don't sell books - magic or otherwise - but I DO prefer Amazon for buying non-magic books as their customer service is superb. As a grad student, I appreciate their fast service and their return policies if for instance a course gets cancelled at university.

As a musician I prefer Ebay because Amazon is not competitve at all in terms of used items. I am a keyboard player and vocalist. Keyboards are a high ticket item and older synths are always welcome in a keyboard player's rack o' death. It could be that a lot of musicians aren't aware that they can resell on Amazon. It would be nice if Ebay had a little competition, but, they don't. That said, Ebay is a platinum mine for finding great gear. As for magic, I have found the same to be true for magic books - but NOT magic books being sold by magicians. I always look at whether the seller seems to know her/his stuff. The best buys in magic on Ebay are frequently by people who for some reason have a bunch of books they are selling. Perhaps they obtained the books from an uncle who passed on. These folks aren't magicians and thus have no idea what the after market is for magic books and few know where to ask.
If it is available on Amazon, I get it there. If not, I will search other dealers first, and then eBay. For collectibles and memorabilia, I go to eBay first.

One thing I like about eBay is you can oftentimes make an offer of what you are willing to pay. If it is accepted, you can get great deals. Yesterday I bought a pair of track spikes on eBay that are simply not available anywhere else. I made the offer, it was accepted, and Voila! I had a brand new set of spikes, CHEAP!
I use both, but have to admit that Amazons service if far better. You can however get a bargain on occasion with ebay.
I constantly rely on Amazon's Customer Comments no matter or where what I'm buying....it's like a free subscription to Consumer Reports when the owners start piping up about how good (or mediocrel or terrible) something is. I can cherry pick the best of the bunch and go from there...and they've never been wrong yet.

Ebay has become so controlling that the costs are almost prohibitive to deal with them. I've never bought anything used from Amazon, but from the above recommends, I think I'll start.
I'm a pop music collector, so I use Amazon for times when I can't find the original tune on iTunes and need to purchase the CD. Used CDs are certainly the way to go. However, when the CD is out of print I have to turn to ebay.... it is a very annoying process, since many bidders "snipe" (wait til the last seconds to bid, not giving you chance to respond with a higher bid if needed.)
I prefer to buy on Amazon and sell on EBay.
Amazon Prime is an excellent deal if you buy a lot of books and other items over the Internet. $79 gets you free two day shipping (and they rarely miss on the time) on most orders fulfilled through Amazon, and as a bonus, free streaming movies for a year.
Agreed. I've saved well over that $79 on the shipping alone...and haven't bothered to stream anything yet.
Only thing I use it for is Kindle books.
Amazon is my "go to" for buying and selling. I'm a Prime member and as others have mentioned, you get your money back real fast. My only complaint with Amazon is the limited inventory. But I always check there first.
As LobowolfXXX said, I buy on Amazon and sell on Ebay as well. I've been a participating member on Ebay almost since its inception and it used to be fun to buy and sell there. Then came sniping and other gimmicks that kinda ruined the fun of the auction. Still, when I want to sell something, I go to Ebay first. Unless of course it's magical, then I put it on the Café. No commissions to deal with either. Except on the Paypal end.
Since most of e-bay requires a paypal account, I no longer go to e-bay.

I have had excellent service with Amazon and have been making many purchases over the past 5 years. I have never been disapointed with Amazon and everything is delivered very quickly and is as advertised.
Iven :patty: